• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If Smash Bros. is "a celebration of video game as a whole", then it is incredibly Nintendo-biased.
You can blame the entirety of the industry and copyright law for that. It's a hurdle that no one likes that is very, very slowly being whittled away, with the Smash Bros. franchise being a massively important pioneer in fighting the disgusting mess that is, particularly, Japanese copyright law.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Smash was originally a celebration of Nintendo as a whole. It still is, just with some guests in it. Just imagine if Nintendo held a birthday party and invited a few of their neighbors.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bayonetta's popularity and the votes she got in the ballot were significant factors in her inclusion.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If Hal had been offered the chance to include an abundance of non-Nintendo game icons in the first Smash game without worrying about legal consideration, you're going to have a hard time convincing me they would have said no. That goes double for characters like Simon and Mega Man, who were Nintendo icons despite their third party ownership.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
If Hal had been offered the chance to include an abundance of non-Nintendo game icons in the first Smash game without worrying about legal consideration, you're going to have a hard time convincing me they would have said no. That goes double for characters like Simon and Mega Man, who were Nintendo icons despite their third party ownership.
Yeah, sure. But the fact is, Nintendo is the one in charge. So no matter how hard they try, they can't represent 'video game as a whole' - even if they were not biased towards themselves.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Don't forget that HAL already had 2 fighters in the original Smash game.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Yeah, sure. But the fact is, Nintendo is the one in charge. So no matter how hard they try, they can't represent 'video game as a whole' - even if they were not biased towards themselves.
They're sure making a lot of ground towards proving you wrong.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
They're sure making a lot of ground towards proving you wrong.
Proving me wrong about what, exactly? Because using the official counting, on a total of 69 fighters there is 61 Nintendo characters on the base roster. How is that not Nintendo-centric? And how could it not be?

D

Deleted member

Proving me wrong about what, exactly? Because using the official counting, on a total of 69 fighters there is 61 Nintendo characters on the base roster. How is that not Nintendo-centric? And how could it not be?
And, most of the 3rd party characters are extremely nintendo-relevant.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Proving me wrong about what, exactly?
no matter how hard they try, they can't represent 'video game as a whole'
How many "impossible" characters are we up to, and what makes you think that's going to stop in coming years, decades? Walls are collapsing. The selling power of crossovers is exploding. If Nintendo is crazy enough not to make it happen, another developer will fill the void.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How many "impossible" characters are we up to, and what makes you think that's going to stop in coming years, decades? Walls are collapsing. The selling power of crossovers is exploding. If Nintendo is crazy enough not to make it happen, another developer will fill the void.
I envy your optimism but developers and publishers don't just hand out licenses for their games willy nilly.

Not unless they're shovel knight.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I wish that Smash Bros didn't rely on reused voice/sound clips so much. It's the most obvious for some characters that others. cough cough:ultbowser:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Some walls may be collapsing, but it takes time and there is a lot of those. Maybe someday, Nintendo will not be over represented in Smash compared to other editors : only then will it be a true 'celebration of gaming as a whole'. But that seems extremely unlikely to me, and right now it certainly isn't. Just compare the Mario and the Sonic franchises: eight characters to one! Why? Are Rosalina, Bowser Jr and Piranha Plant more important in the story of gaming than Tails, Knuckle or Eggman? I'm a Nintendo fan, but I don't think so.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
INB4 someone brings up Dark Pit.

I feel like characters should get new victory poses. Some of the ones we've been seeing since n64 are getting stale.
Touche. That didn't occur to me actually.

Oh and I forgot there's Dr. Mario as well...Nevermind what I said then.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
INB4 someone brings up Dark Pit.
He's not worth an echo, either.

Also he and Dark Samus are physically other life forms, not just a different form of Bowser. Dr. Mario gets a pass because he came about in a time when that flit shew, but the last thing we need is a character like that added now. I like to think we're older and wiser than we were in the crunch days before Melee came out. There are far better echoes out there.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
*glances at the big Japanese character fan poll*

You know what, I'm gonna say it: the Japanese Smash fanbase has (slightly) more realistic character expectations/desires than the Western one.

Also it's both amazing and painful watching people trying to rationalize away Sora getting #1 and Steve making top 5 in both polls-- it's almost like characters from popular series that have been at the center of discussion and speculation are going to do really well.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
*glances at the big Japanese character fan poll*

You know what, I'm gonna say it: the Japanese Smash fanbase has (slightly) more realistic character expectations/desires than the Western one.

Also it's both amazing and painful watching people trying to rationalize away Sora getting #1 and Steve making top 5 in both polls-- it's almost like characters from popular series that have been at the center of discussion and speculation are going to do really well.
I'm usually not wishing to debate others' opinions (much less here), but honestly, I find the results to be very "samey" to the Western ones.
Not kidding, barring Crono (which I wouldn't really call very realistic) and 2B, all of the characters there have been already discussed to high levels. That, and well, I don't blame anyone on this side of the world for not wanting more promotional Nintendo characters (aka the FE/Pokémon ones) in the slightest.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm usually not wishing to debate others' opinions (much less here), but honestly, I find the results to be very "samey" to the Western ones.
Not kidding, barring Crono (which I wouldn't really call very realistic) and 2B, all of the characters there have been already discussed to high levels. That, and well, I don't blame anyone on this side of the world for not wanting more promotional Nintendo characters (aka the FE/Pokémon ones) in the slightest.
I said "slightly" more realistic; they're both similar, but the Japanese one feels at least more in-tune with precedence and a bit more logical overall (still the likes of Porky sitting around).

And I'm in the oh-so-awkward position of FE and Pokemon (along with Xenoblade) being my favorite Nintendo series, so I'm pretty much down for anything and think that based on precedence people should probably learn how to deal with it and stop letting it bother them so much --while also having a bit of an unfortunate spiteful streak brought about by the constant hate those series get.

I have my own biases, but I at least try to be clear and rational about them.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I said "slightly" more realistic; they're both similar, but the Japanese one feels at least more in-tune with precedence and a bit more logical overall (still the likes of Porky sitting around).

And I'm in the oh-so-awkward position of FE and Pokemon (along with Xenoblade) being my favorite Nintendo series, so I'm pretty much down for anything and think that based on precedence people should probably learn how to deal with it and stop letting it bother them so much --while also having a bit of an unfortunate spiteful streak brought about by the constant hate those series get.

I have my own biases, but I at least try to be clear and rational about them.
Well, my intention with my post wasn't to question your tastes, but rather to talk about that part regarding "Japanese choices being more realistic than the Western ones", since all characters in the Japanese poll (except the FE/Pokémon promotionals) appear on the English one under different positions that vary from slightly (like Bandanna Dee being on spot eight in Japan while being one spot three in the Western one) to radically (Heihachi being number 14 in Japan, while being 67/68 in West).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
• Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu not being classified as echo fighters makes sense because it would create an inconsistency with Falco, Roy, and Ganondorf.
• The Belmonts were ballot characters, you have no right to complain about getting exactly what you asked for.
• The roster is fine and people should be ****ing grateful instead of a ravenous pack of greedy spoiled brats. At this point, I look down on anyone who has a wishlist at all. Play MUGEN if you want your one specific inclusion so badly.
• Complaining to get characters added is insufferable. Complaining to get characters removed is even worse.
• "Rep"/"Representation" is the worst term that this fandom has ever invented.
• Bashing past games while championing only your preference is hypocritical at best. You're kinda doing exactly what you're complaining about.

I'm aware that I used to do these things. In the four years I was gone, I realized I was being a total ****stain and stopped doing those things.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
• Complaining to get characters added is insufferable. Complaining to get characters removed is even worse.
This. It's fine to want someone to be in the game but complaining about their misinclusion drives me insane. The development team spent years making this game and all some people can complain about is their missing favorite waifu or something.

And it gets worse when people complain to get people removed. That's part of the reason Wolf wasn't in Smash 4 (Sakurai stated he was "low priority" like are you kidding me). Sure, there are fighters I'm not sure excited about, I'm all against cutting them.

Edit: I'm not saying it's bad to be disappointed or dissatisfied with a game because it's lacking something you wanted, I'm saying complaining and getting salty isn't he;ping anyone. It's better to continue supporting your character than complain online.

Additionally, denouncing people who wish for something more in the game is worse than complaining, since now you're implying that someone who really wanted something that isn't in the game is no longer entitled to their opinion. There's a difference between simply wanting content in the game versus being ungrateful and ignoring the effort already put into it.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Not being satisfied with a product is not being satisfied with a product, end of story.
Every game dev team works hard to make their own games, Smash doesn't have the right to be treated any differently.
If the character you support didn't make it in, support them even harder. Don't accept that Mii Costume or Assist Trophy. Make some noise, be as loud as you need to be, vote for them whenever possible, let everyone know how much you want them in.
That's the only way you're going to have even a slight impact on the chance that your most-wanted will get in.
Let the trolls call you, “insufferable, greedy spoiled brats.” They do not give a single **** about your happiness.

After all, Ridley and K. Rool didn't get in by their fans accepting that Ridley was, “too big to work,” or K. Rool was, “an irrelevant, dead, character.”

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Decrying an entire game, calling it the worst thing ever and sending death threats to its director, because it lacks one specific character when it has a larger, more varied roster than any other fighting game in existence is incredibly petty.

I cannot believe that's an unpopular opinion. I should have stayed gone.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Decrying an entire game, calling it the worst thing ever and sending death threats to its director, because it lacks one specific character when it has a larger, more varied roster than any other fighting game in existence is incredibly petty.

I cannot believe that's an unpopular opinion. I should have stayed gone.
I presume this is the famed Waluigi twitter thing?
If so, I believe it was two dudes who other Waluigi fans declared massive assholes. This is not unpopular at all, and that sort of behaviour has been widely declared unacceptable by every corner of Smash's fanbase.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I presume this is the famed Waluigi twitter thing?
If so, I believe it was two dudes who other Waluigi fans declared massive ********. This is not unpopular at all, and that sort of behaviour has been widely declared unacceptable by every corner of Smash's fanbase.
I've seen it more from Banjo and Lip beggars, actually.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not being satisfied with a product is not being satisfied with a product, end of story.
Every game dev team works hard to make their own games, Smash doesn't have the right to be treated any differently.
If the character you support didn't make it in, support them even harder. Don't accept that Mii Costume or Assist Trophy. Make some noise, be as loud as you need to be, vote for them whenever possible, let everyone know how much you want them in.
That's the only way you're going to have even a slight impact on the chance that your most-wanted will get in.
Let the trolls call you, “insufferable, greedy spoiled brats.” They do not give a single **** about your happiness.

After all, Ridley and K. Rool didn't get in by their fans accepting that Ridley was, “too big to work,” or K. Rool was, “an irrelevant, dead, character.”
Also, I'm not accepting cruel de-confirmations. Nah. You can be smart about it and have assist trophies revealed early on.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Well said. The "UNGRATEFUL SWINE STOP WISHING FOR THINGS" sect of the fanbase is easily more "insufferable" than any support group on the face of the earth is even capable of being.
Also, I'm not accepting cruel de-confirmations. Nah. You can be smart about it and have assist trophies revealed early on.
This. Does anyone actually enjoy having their favorite character revealed as an AT at the very end of the game's hype cycle?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People are allowed to be satisfied or dissatisfied with any aspect of the game, people.

Doesn't mean you should call them names just because you disagree.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
• The Belmonts were ballot characters, you have no right to complain about getting exactly what you asked for.
Pretty sure people complaining about any character's inclusion didn't vote for said character.
• The roster is fine and people should be ****ing grateful instead of a ravenous pack of greedy spoiled brats. At this point, I look down on anyone who has a wishlist at all.
Who doesn't love being insulted? :)

By the way, I'm grateful when somebody give me something. When I see a good movie, read a good book, or play a good video game, I'm not grateful: I'm glad. That's totally different.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The former was talking about it on a comment page-turned-impromptu-chatroom (long story) that's since way been pushed back, the latter leading up to the release of 4 rather than Ultimate.
I know, awfully convenient. But you'll just have to take my word for it.

As for the rest of you, I didn't used to be this bitter. I just got sick and tired of all the feelings of entitlement this fanbase has. I haven't had a break from all the infighting and flame wars about whose characters are better than whose and what facts can conveniently be twisted to support your character and treating someone's specific inclusion as a social justice victory and anything involving "representation" for almost a decade now, and it really does come across to me as, well...
I've stayed out of it, just let the fights happen and stepped away from the fandom for four years, and the game as a whole for two of those. Part of the reason I walked out and took a good, long look at the sense of entitlement I had is because constantly being around all that rage was affecting my physical health.

EDIT: I'll change my statement, because I acknowledge that I went too far.

It's fine to want someone, but if you debate about it and demand it instead of just supporting, that's crossing the line.

And asking for characters to be removed is still just plain ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom