• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Out of curiosity, how come some people treat Pichu as a female? It has no gender differences (excluding the event exclusives) after all.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, how come some people treat Pichu as a female? It has no gender differences (excluding the event exclusives) after all.
I tend to refer to most Pokemon as it as most of them don't have tells. Though most probably call it a she given how the Smash fanbase is.

D

Deleted member

Though most probably call it a she given how the Smash fanbase is.
Everyone is female and lesbian unless stated otherwise. And if confirmed male, they are gay unless stated otherwise.

This is how this works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Pretty sure spike Pichu is like Pikachu LIbre. So, both Pikachu and Pichu have at least two of their species.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I don't like how Black Yoshi got replaced with another green yoshi with weird textures.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
After playing Fortnite a bit more, I actually think that a Fortnite character would be a very cool addition to Smash. There's a lot of cool weapons they could use (impluse gernades, flint locks, pickaxes, the infinity blade, etc...), and I'm interested in seeing how Sakurai would translate the building aspect the character would have to Smash.

Even though he's iconic to Smash, I always thought the Captain Falcon was kind of lame & bland. As a result, I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Black Shadow being added as an echo fighter (even though he'd require 0 effort to add).

I think that Umbra Clock Tower is one of the worst stages in the game. My biggest issue is the backgroud. There's just way to much going on in the back, which makes it hard to tell what's going on sometimes (even on the Omega form). It, to me at least, also seems to be the stage that consistently lags online. I just don't like it.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I don't like the appearance of Melee Fox. His voice is cool, but not his appearance. Also, I would love to have N64 costume for the original 12.

And I don't know if I said it already, but I hate when a mod replace Battlefield and Final Destination with their Melee counterpart. They're not better. In fact, I prefer the Brawl versions over the Melee versions.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
After playing Fortnite a bit more, I actually think that a Fortnite character would be a very cool addition to Smash.
The main issue is that (and this I think would be Nintendo's perspective as well), the franchise is just too new. It hasn't proven its staying power yet. Yes, it's about the biggest game in the world right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be remembered 10 years from now. For third parties, at least, I think there's a general priority given to franchises with history.

Personally, I think that's a good practice. It would be a strange bit of history, and could be perceived pretty negatively in the future, if a game that ended up being more or less a cultural fad was in the roster. It would be kind of like... I don't know, Flappy Bird in Smash 4?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The main issue is that (and this I think would be Nintendo's perspective as well), the franchise is just too new. It hasn't proven its staying power yet. Yes, it's about the biggest game in the world right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be remembered 10 years from now. For third parties, at least, I think there's a general priority given to franchises with history.

Personally, I think that's a good practice. It would be a strange bit of history, and could be perceived pretty negatively in the future, if a game that ended up being more or less a cultural fad was in the roster. It would be kind of like... I don't know, Flappy Bird in Smash 4?
I'll agree with this.

For all the **** it gets, no one would be caught dead saying Minecraft is just a fad. It's proven it has years of staying power.

Fortnite though? Who knows? I think it might but its currently unproven.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Got it, so don't post unpopular opinions and instead argue against them.
There's not much point in a forum thread if no discussion happens, and I thought I was presenting my argument in a respectful and neutral fashion, but if you don't feel that's the case then I'm sorry I upset you.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Some people do get a little to riled with unpopular comments. Not speciying you, you're post was informative Xelrog. And I definitely agree, it's too new and too trendy right now. And I still think Steve from Minecraft would seem strange design wise, even if he is a popular demand, and somehow did get in.

I just remember a few pages back someone posting their unpopular opinion and getting jumped on because it was too unpopular. I mean, that is the threads name lol. I posted this in one thread a long time ago when Smash Ultimate was still being theorized with a roster. And I said it would be fun to see how they could make a Painting Link work, from Between Worlds.

He'd be the only other 2D figther besides Game and Watch. Obviously Paper Mario would be the better pick as far as another 2D figther would go. But one can still dream.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I wish that Fox was removed from the roster. He is too good at everything.
Except recovering, escaping combos, living past 80%, and spacing people out.

The "good at everything" character is probably Peach/Daisy in this game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Except recovering, escaping combos, living past 80%, and spacing people out.

Ironically, Fox's overall recovery has been made better after Melee. What really helped was that using Fox Illusion doesn't leave Fox helpless anymore, or at least that was the case in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Ironically, Fox's overall recovery has been made better after Melee. What really helped was that using Fox Illusion doesn't leave Fox helpless anymore, or at least that was the case in Smash 3DS / Wii U.
Oh I'm well aware, but Fox's recovery still has bad hitboxes to cover him and is incredibly easy to intercept off stage. combine that with the fastest fall speed in the game and he is gimped very easily.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hell, ZeRo made a video on why those two are so OP. I swear the only way to level the playing field with them is to simply remove their floating ability since it's so abusable. Done.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes throw cpus at 9 and random and it will pick Daisy/Peach as my opponent. They literally just float a 1/4 inch off the ground back and forth and do the leg kick thing. And that's all they did for the entire match. And that was the cpu lol. When the cpu keeps exploiting the same move over and move, you know something is off.

The particular match I am thinking of, I won it, but it was just as boring, if not more, than the opponents online who spam and run or do something equally boring/annoying.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I overreacted a bit. I just wasn't in a good mood earlier. Anyway, here's a real hot take.

Smash would be more enjoyable if it was a regular fighting game.

After Brawl, Smash 4 & Ultimate were major dissapointments. The lack of story mode really kills my enjoyment of the games. It's nice to have all of these characters in the same game, but the fact that they don't interact in any meaningful way outside of reveal trailers is lame asf.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Yeah. I overreacted a bit. I just wasn't in a good mood earlier. Anyway, here's a real hot take.

Smash would be more enjoyable if it was a regular fighting game.

After Brawl, Smash 4 & Ultimate were major dissapointments. The lack of story mode really kills my enjoyment of the games. It's nice to have all of these characters in the same game, but the fact that they don't interact in any meaningful way outside of reveal trailers is lame asf.
What do you expect from a fighting game?

Most fighting games storylines are pretty simple and usually isn't the major reason why most people play them. Also like it or not but WoL is a story mode.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
What do you expect from a fighting game?

Most fighting games storylines are pretty simple and usually isn't the major reason why most people play them. Also like it or not but WoL is a story mode.
More combo heavy game-play, less annoying play-styles, and characters having more diverse move-sets.

Have you seen the NRS fighting game story modes? Those things are fully acted with at least two hours of cinematics, and lots of cool scenarios thrown in. WoL is basically just a bunch of event matches with a few cinematics sprinkled in. Just go to YouTube, and check out the Injustice 2 story mode.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hell, ZeRo made a video on why those two are so OP. I swear the only way to level the playing field with them is to simply remove their floating ability since it's so abusable. Done.
Gonna need more evidence than ZeRo. He may be a great player, but his tier thoughts can be...odd and should be taken with a grain of salt.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
World Of Light should have been more like Subspace.
It had nearly twice as many characters, and yet possible stories were simply ignored.
In fact, to me, it felt like a side mode to the game that the cutscene suggested.
Don't get me wrong, spirits are cool, but WoL misses the mark by a mile.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
WoL is basically just this games version of event matches with the occasional boss fight thrown in. On top of that, it goes on forever. The developers really should added fast travel, made the map less confusing, and cut out the novice fights (+add more cinmeatics where characters interact in meaningful ways).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
WoL is basically just this games version of event matches with the occasional boss fight thrown in. On top of that, it goes on forever. The developers really should added fast travel, made the map less confusing, and cut out the novice fights (+add more cinmeatics where characters interact in meaningful ways).
Novice battles would at least let you begin a playthrough with little resistance. The idea of Spirit rankings is that the weaker Spirits would be easier to defeat, while the Legend ranked Spirits are far more difficult.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
World Of Light should have been more like Subspace.
It had nearly twice as many characters, and yet possible stories were simply ignored.
In fact, to me, it felt like a side mode to the game that the cutscene suggested.
Don't get me wrong, spirits are cool, but WoL misses the mark by a mile.
You do realize that would be quite difficult with the huge roster right?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I kind of find my self asking, is this even the unpopular opinions topic anymore? Haha This thread has really took a turn on charm.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
They could always take an NRS approach. Not every character has to be featured heavily within the story, or even be playable within it. Heck, some don't even need to appear at all (which is exactly what happened in Brawl).

I think there are plenty of unpopular opinions left. I think some of them maybe a bit to extreme, or just to unpopular. Like if someone said, "[Insert character should be removed]," or they critized something really popular.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They could always take an NRS approach. Not every character has to be featured heavily within the story, or even be playable within it. Heck, some don't even need to appear at all (which is exactly what happened in Brawl).

I think there are plenty of unpopular opinions left. I think some of them maybe a bit to extreme, or just to unpopular. Like if someone said, "[Insert character should be removed]," or they critized something really popular.
Unfortunately the NRS approach is extremely unlikely to happen with any fighting game. There exists very few companies and fighting game franchises that have the amount of resources needed to be able to make a triple A fighting game with story modes as in-depth as the MK/IJ games.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, excluding voice acting, isn't that pretty much what Brawl was? A long story mode with tons of cinematics, exclusive boss fights, and even exclusive areas like the great maze, which was massive, and took almost half an hour to clear (maybe more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom