• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur97

Smash Master
What about Snake's codec? All of them are just reused. Even Sonic's one still has Brawl mentioned in it. You know they could had at least clipped the Brawl bit out of the voice over, but they didn't even bother to do that.
To be fair, I have read that the Colonel's JP VA died about the time they would have recorded them. They could have replaced him, but maybe it was a respect thing. Though, might be better just to not put them at that point.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
To be fair, I have read that the Colonel's JP VA died about the time they would have recorded them. They could have replaced him, but maybe it was a respect thing. Though, might be better just to not put them at that point.
It might also have to do with Konami. I remember reading somewhere they almost kept Snake out of the game altogether, and that the English voice actor is being barred from voicing the character. I could be wrong since it's been over a month though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Snake's Codecs doesn't specifically mention games's name in the Japanese version, instead calling it by series' generic name. That's probably why they didn't bother changing it.

Why? You have to go out of your way to activate them already. If you dislike it, just don't turn it on.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It might also have to do with Konami. I remember reading somewhere they almost kept Snake out of the game altogether, and that the English voice actor is being barred from voicing the character. I could be wrong since it's been over a month though.
Well, Snake's old VA is back albeit through old clips. Snake might be the only fighter I'm glad they didn't update the VA on.
Snake's Codecs doesn't specifically mention games's name in the Japanese version, instead calling it by series' generic name. That's probably why they didn't bother changing it.

Why? You have to go out of your way to activate them already. If you dislike it, just don't turn it on.
As it stands, they are very half-done. They don't even work with almost half the roster. Not to mention the outdated Brawl reference. At least with the Star Fox taunts, they still feel like a complete thing. Don't get me wrong either, I generally enjoyed the Codecs more than Guidances (the cast just seemed to play better off the zany worlds of Nintendo), but why put something in that is just so incomplete now? Especially with the Guidances receiving updates.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, Snake's old VA is back albeit through old clips. Snake might be the only fighter I'm glad they didn't update the VA on.

As it stands, they are very half-done. They don't even work with almost half the roster. Not to mention the outdated Brawl reference. At least with the Star Fox taunts, they still feel like a complete thing. Don't get me wrong either, I generally enjoyed the Codecs more than Guidances (the cast just seemed to play better off the zany worlds of Nintendo), but why put something in that is just so incomplete now? Especially with the Guidances receiving updates.
Because it's better than having nothing. That's my outlook towards clones as well.

"All or nothing" isn't really my thing.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Sounds kind of like settling.
Being that I'm not the one making the game, and that I know I'd buy it as long as the engine is solid and the balance is at least OK, yeah I'd at least that say I would "settle" for Smash Ultimate, with all it's content and quality and the fun I'm having with it. I've never ever in my whole life seen or played a "perfect" game, meal, friend, or even night's sleep, so I would also say that I am settling 100% of the time. If I tried to be incredibly picky about stuff that isn't too important to me personally, I don't think I'd be very happy at all. Positivity isn't a bad thing in this case and nobody will convince me that it is. Complacency isn't a problem when the product is still amazing to me personally. Sorry for a bit of a rant.

EDIT: Especially since you weren't even talking to me... But I stand by what I said.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's definitely clear that the Metal Gear franchise took a turn for the worst after Kojima departed from Konami. Heck, it's because of Kojima's departure that the Metal Gear franchise logo got changed from the FOXHOUND logo, to an exclamation mark.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Sounds kind of like settling.
Have you seen online?

And I have heard that the reason they didn't change up Sonic's codec is because the Japanese version just used Smash instead of Brawl. It's still laziness through and through. For NoA I mean, because that really isn't NoJ's job to do.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Anyone calling the lack of new codecs lazy is woefully uninformed of the immense amount of time, effort, and money it would take to bring back all the MGS actors for a session in a feature that most players will never know about.

Palutena's Guidance is the new thing, and with cheaper actors. That's why they updated it. Codecs are only in the game at all as a favor since Shadow Moses is back.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Anyone calling the lack of new codecs lazy is woefully uninformed of the immense amount of time, effort, and money it would take to bring back all the MGS actors for a session in a feature that most players will never know about.

Palutena's Guidance is the new thing, and with cheaper actors. That's why they updated it. Codecs are only in the game at all as a favor since Shadow Moses is back.
It still looks like an incomplete feature.

Arthur97

Smash Master
No, it doesn't. The only people who even know it exists know it was in Brawl.
I mean, they have these things called tips that tell you about stuff like this. A feature that doesn't work with almost half the cast is also kind of hard to characterize as complete as well.
Have you seen online?

And I have heard that the reason they didn't change up Sonic's codec is because the Japanese version just used Smash instead of Brawl. It's still laziness through and through. For NoA I mean, because that really isn't NoJ's job to do.
To be fair, how was NoA supposed to know this would happen. It's out of their hands if NoJ decides to put it in.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe they did actually edit Link's codec where they removed the line where they mentioned his Clawshot.
I guess they just didn't think the Brawl reference was as much of a big deal to remove then something that wouldn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective...

Or maybe they just didn't want to make people think that they were pretending that Brawl didn't exist due to the stigma the game has with the competitive Smash community....

Just my two cents on that.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For something different to talk about, while I'm not sure if this is unpopular, I think Little Mac should've kept all 16 of his palettes from Smash 3DS / Wii U. Why did Ultimate have to restrict everyone into having only 8 palettes?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Konami get David Hayter back as the Snakes’ English VA to voice new voice clips for Super Bomberman R?

In terms of Snake’s typical battle voice clips in Smash, it probably still saves money to reuse voice clips, though. Even Nintendo does that for their first party characters; I mean, for example, they could probably easily get Charles Martinet to make new voice clips for Mario / Luigi / Wario, but they haven’t done so since Brawl.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
For something different to talk about, while I'm not sure if this is unpopular, I think Little Mac should've kept all 16 of his palettes from Smash 3DS / Wii U. Why did Ultimate have to restrict everyone into having only 8 palettes?
It would be difficult to make more for each character plus everything has it's limitations.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll be honest...

**** the wireframe costumes. If I never have to fight a friend who goes Duck Hunt and picks wireframe mac again, I'd be happy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It would be difficult to make more for each character plus everything has it's limitations.
Still feels rather strange, seeing as Smash 3DS / Wii U was able to fully support 16 Little Mac palettes. But I guess only certain fighters deserve more than 8 palettes, mostly the ones who have alternate wardrobes or genders.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Still feels rather strange, seeing as Smash 3DS / Wii U was able to fully support 16 Little Mac palettes. But I guess only certain fighters deserve more than 8 palettes, mostly the ones who have alternate wardrobes or genders.
To be fair, the game already takes ages to load alt colors on the CSS, so I think we're better off not straining it lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll be honest...

**** the wireframe costumes. If I never have to fight a friend who goes Duck Hunt and picks wireframe mac again, I'd be happy.
The fact that they kept Wireframe Hoodie over the Major Circuit outfit is appalling.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The alt loading is just atrocious, but the fact they can't properly load a picture shouldn't be a reason to limit alts. Especially when you end up losing stuff like Fire Mario. Or even letting both Robins get 8 colors. Or 8 for Olimar and Alph. The arbitrary 8 limitation is just that, a limitation. I mean, Ridley had two perfectly good colors that they just didn't put in the final game.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The fact that they kept Wireframe Hoodie over the Major Circuit outfit is appalling.
That's another reason for why it's so baffling that Little Mac lost half of his palette options. He really needs to have his Minor Circuit, Major Circuit, World Circuit, AND Title Defense outfits.

D

Deleted member

I would have loved to get a new version of Saffrom City instead of the same N64 one.

I understand why we didn’t get a remake, but still something I would have loved after seeing how Project M handled it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would have loved to get a new version of Saffrom City instead of the same N64 one.

I understand why we didn’t get a remake, but still something I would have loved after seeing how Project M handled it.
Yeah I understand there's a certain charm in the retro stages, but I really would prefer them reimagined in much more modern textures and effects.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's another reason for why it's so baffling that Little Mac lost half of his palette options. He really needs to have his Minor Circuit, Major Circuit, World Circuit, AND Title Defense outfits.
Exactly. Like, if he was limited to eight colors, and one of them HAD to be a Wireframe, I can deal with losing the Multiplayer Mac like we did. But Major Circuit Mac should've never been cut for a totally non-canon Wireframe Hoodie alt.

One thing I loved about Mac's non-Wireframe costumes is at they all had canonical reference points, but losing the Major Circuit costume ruins that.

D

Deleted member

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn't mind Goku showing up.
I'd shudder to imagine how speculation would be going forward as people would use him as an excuse to mean their obscure anime waifu/husbando can get in, but Goku himself is fine.

Oh and another unpopular opinion: those who ***** about Goku any time the subject is brought up are far more annoying than those who bring him up to begin with. Seriously. Shut the **** up. No one cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

If I recall correctly Hideo Kojima also wrote the codecs in the first place, so with him gone they probably didn't want to step on his territory and just continued on with what they had established in Smash 4 with Palutena Guidances (though I really despise the KI cast here, would rather have something like Cranky Kong's Advice or Samus' Scan Visor).

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
If I recall correctly Hideo Kojima also wrote the codecs in the first place, so with him gone they probably didn't want to step on his territory and just continued on with what they had established in Smash 4 with Palutena Guidances (though I really despise the KI cast here, would rather have something like Cranky Kong's Advice or Samus' Scan Visor).
One of the problems with the Guidances I think is that they try to hard while the (relatively) normal MG cast played very well off of Nintendo goofiness. Sure, some were forgettable, but the highs I think were much higher.

Now, the worst thing is that there was no new Star Fox stage to give them new special taunts. They even brought in VAs for new lines and everything.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am not a big fan of alternate costumes unless it is another character entirely. Something about outfits and gear I just don't like. Colors all the way, bud.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The alt loading is just atrocious, but the fact they can't properly load a picture shouldn't be a reason to limit alts. Especially when you end up losing stuff like Fire Mario. Or even letting both Robins get 8 colors. Or 8 for Olimar and Alph. The arbitrary 8 limitation is just that, a limitation. I mean, Ridley had two perfectly good colors that they just didn't put in the final game.
Well when you consider that there's 592 color alts total (this includes all characters plus Pokemon Trainer but excludes the Miis and dlc) that's a huge amount on the base game already so they wouldn't want to use up too much data on colors considering how much other game content take.

I'm grateful that everyone has the same amount unlike every game up until Smash 4 though it is unfortunate that some color alts got cut but oh well. Honestly the loading thing doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
One of the problems with the Guidances I think is that they try to hard while the (relatively) normal MG cast played very well off of Nintendo goofiness. Sure, some were forgettable, but the highs I think were much higher.

Now, the worst thing is that there was no new Star Fox stage to give them new special taunts. They even brought in VAs for new lines and everything.

No new Star Fox stage., removal of Orbital Gate, which had the prettiest Omega in Sm4sh, and no new remixes at all for the series with only 3 new songs.

Sadness.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No new Star Fox stage., removal of Orbital Gate, which had the prettiest Omega in Sm4sh, and no new remixes at all for the series with only 3 new songs.

Sadness.
But we got Wolf back.

I’d say we ended coming out positive on that deal lol.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn't mind Goku showing up.
I'd shudder to imagine how speculation would be going forward as people would use him as an excuse to mean their obscure anime waifu/husbando can get in, but Goku himself is fine.

Oh and another unpopular opinion: those who ***** about Goku any time the subject is brought up are far more annoying than those who bring him up to begin with. Seriously. Shut the **** up. No one cares.
Honestly, I could see as close as it gets being they bring in the DQ8 protagonist and name him Gohan with Gohan's VA. Not gonnal lie, if they did that, I'd main him in a second.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Speaking of Wolf, it's a shame we never got to see what the entire Star Fox Zero design looked like.

Would've at least liked to see it in a costume or something.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I think a Mortal Kombat character would be cool in Smash, and I don't really see toning down the violence of said character being much of an issue since it's already been done for several other characters within Smash. I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but it always seemed like there were a lot of Smash fans against the inclusion of MK characters for reasons I'll never quite understand (like saying Western characters can't be in Smash).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wolf is great and all, but a little more would have been nice.
I mean given how terribly Star Fox Zero went, I’ll take what I can get. Star Fox having as much content as it does is a small miracle given how poorly the series has done since 64. Adventures and Assault were alright additions that you love or hate, and it’s only been downhill from there.

Plus, I don’t really care as much about the other stuff. Orbital Gate Assault was cool, but pretty meh to play on. Sector Z would have been nice given how big it is... but really, all the extra stuff doesn’t really bother me if it’s lackingz give me characters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Considering that the voice acting for Orbital Gate Assault was just flat out terrible, maybe it was for the best that Star Fox didn't get a new stage for Ultimate.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Not an unpopular opinion or anything, but Star Fox sorta kinda did get a new stage, in that Corneria was redesigned from Melee to resemble the Star Fox Zero version instead of Star Fox 64 (Venom now fulfills that role).

I don't remember any stage getting redesigned in Ultimate to resemble the latest game aside from Corneria, so aside from New Donk City Hall, Great Plateau Tower, Moray Towers, and Dracula's Castle, Corneria sorta kinda counts as the secret 5th new stage before DLC.

Just felt like adding to the discussion, carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom