• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Even by tournament standards, Heavyweight characters (like :ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultridley:) are most definitely viable in high-stakes 1v1 top player events, along with the typical faster characters (:ultpichu::ultfox:)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Even by tournament standards, Heavyweight characters (like :ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultridley:) are most definitely viable in high-stakes 1v1 top player events, along with the typical faster characters (:ultpichu::ultfox:)
I thought Ridley was actually less heavy than Samus was, as pointed out in that IntroSpective video.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like incineroar. His character design is disgusting. It looks like something an edgy furry would draw, and it makes physically cringe any time I see him.

I enjoy Brawl & 4 more than Ultimate. As someone who plays Smash alone a lot of the times, those two games were more appealing. Brawl's single player content is much better than Ultimate's (Subspace wasn't great, but the cutscenes helped to make it), and 4's free online is what really kept me going back to it. Nintendo's online is cheap, but the online for Ultimate is such dog-**** that it's not worth the $20. I haven't picked up Ultimate in almost month cause there's nothing for me to really do. At this point, I'm just waiting for them to announce a cool DLC character I like (even though I'm sure that won't happen).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like incineroar. His character design is disgusting. It looks like something an edgy furry would draw, and it makes physically cringe any time I see him.
Agreed. He's also so generic looking and basically Tony the Tiger's wrestling southern cousin.

On top of that they have enough Pokemon reps as with Fire Emblem. There doesn't need to be anymore. They're both overrepresented as they already are.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm gonna come in with a hotter take and say that while its proportions are weird, I kind of like Incineroar. The design has a lot of personality to it, enough to be memorable. I probably have a different stance than the majority because I'm not a Pokemon fan though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I probably have a different stance than the majority because I'm not a Pokemon fan though.
Exactly. Incineroar is like Roy: A firey close-range fighter who is preferred by people outside their series' fandom

And from a series considered evil by people who prefer fantasizing about le balanced roster than playing the game
And most likely only became newcomers because of rushed development, not saying that incineroar is a clone btw

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm gonna come in with a hotter take and say that while its proportions are weird, I kind of like Incineroar. The design has a lot of personality to it, enough to be memorable. I probably have a different stance than the majority because I'm not a Pokemon fan though.
I was fine with Incineroar since the first leaked design because I was made aware of it's pop-culture ties to Tiger Mask.

It's almost ridiculously meta how it's the Heel wrestler that has a vocal hatedom and is considered among the worst in the game competitively (i.e. jobbing to others).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Incineroar is straight up one of the most fun characters to play. He just feels good to control and his specials are so much fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Incineroar is straight up one of the most fun characters to play. He just feels good to control and his specials are so much fun.
Yeah but I really wish his Up B gave you the option of more horizontal range. In fact it'd be nice if being in ravenge let you aim your cross chop shallower.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah but I really wish his Up B gave you the option of more horizontal range. In fact it'd be nice if being in ravenge let you aim your cross chop shallower.
Honestly I've never had the problem of horizontal range when recovery.

Recovering high is super easy for him.

Just.. never recover low.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As someone who has never played a pokemon game I love Incineroar. Maybe if I played Sun and Moon I'd be more attached to Decidueye but honestly I like that Sakurai chose Incineroar over it. I can't think of a more viable newcomer option that would have given us what Incineroar did. He's awesome to play as.

And as someone who plays Incineroar frequently, among other fighters, I think his revenge is broken

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not sure if I said this before, but: :ultolimar: and :ultwiifittrainer: are really fun to play as.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Reggie would be horrible for smash!!! Puppet Reggie however... :denzel:

1554115920487.png

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I would argue that Incineroar as a Pokemon is more unique and interesting than a good 80% of other starter Pokemon. They're usually dishwater.

Decidueye would've been interesting because we don't have a dedicated archer character, but we didn't have a pro wrestling character either so I'm not really bothered.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I feel there's more in the way similar to Decidueye in the cast (especially with Pit / DP having bows) than there was Incineroar, we really didn't have any kind of honest-to-god grappler characters in Smash and never have which is strange for a fighting game. His style meshes really well, if not for the speed problems he'd be in a pretty okay place recovery aside.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really want an Event Match Creator feature that's only accessible online. Give us the options of references for battle, event we must first complete before approved and the option for short and simple description.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I really want an Event Match Creator feature that's only accessible online. Give us the options of references for battle, event we must first complete before approved and the option for short and simple description.
Well, you're not alone anymore. God damn, talk about something I didn't know I wanted!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Lotta people going "as someone who doesn't really play Pokémon, Incineroar is fun to play as and is way more interesting than other potential picks from Sun and Moon," other people are going "as someone who plays lots of Pokémon, I don't like / I hate Incineroar, I wanted someone else and their design is ugly."

As a big Pokémon fan who wanted Rowlet (not Decidueye), I was admittedly disappointed at first when Sakurai went with Incineroar because the previous two Pokémon newcomers were both the most popular Pokémon from their respective games, and the "streak" was broken.

Of course, it was never really a streak, Lucario was chosen because some of Sakurai's team really wanted to put them in Brawl and they eventually figured out a way to do it (a similar story is told by Sakurai for Bowser Jr. in Smash 4), and Greninja was chosen because Sakurai liked their design the best from Game Freak's resources, especially since at the time X and Y weren't even out yet, much less proven that Greninja really was the most popular gen 6 Pokémon. I should've seen this coming.

That said, my unpopular opinion regarding Incineroar is that he sorta makes sense even taking into consideration that Rowlet is by far more popular: Incineroar is your final opponent if you chose Rowlet, so it's kinda like the final boss of Sun and Moon is playable. Pretty neat way of thinking about it but that's just me.

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Lotta people going "as someone who doesn't really play Pokémon, Incineroar is fun to play as and is way more interesting than other potential picks from Sun and Moon," other people are going "as someone who plays lots of Pokémon, I don't like / I hate Incineroar, I wanted someone else and their design is ugly."

As a big Pokémon fan who wanted Rowlet (not Decidueye), I was admittedly disappointed at first when Sakurai went with Incineroar because the previous two Pokémon newcomers were both the most popular Pokémon from their respective games, and the "streak" was broken.

Of course, it was never really a streak, Lucario was chosen because some of Sakurai's team really wanted to put them in Brawl and they eventually figured out a way to do it (a similar story is told by Sakurai for Bowser Jr. in Smash 4), and Greninja was chosen because Sakurai liked their design the best from Game Freak's resources, especially since at the time X and Y weren't even out yet, much less proven that Greninja really was the most popular gen 6 Pokémon. I should've seen this coming.

That said, my unpopular opinion regarding Incineroar is that he sorta makes sense even taking into consideration that Rowlet is by far more popular: Incineroar is your final opponent if your chose Rowlet, so it's kinda like the final boss of Sun and Moon is playable. Pretty neat way of thinking about it but that's just me.
Not to mention that as of making this post, as someone competitive in Pokemon, Incineroar is dominating the meta there, even amongst legendaries like Groudon and Xerneas.

That being said, that's part of my unpopular opinion, I think Incineroar's absurd competitive success in the Pokemon Video Game Championships was a factor as to how he got in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I recall reading that Incineroar is the only fully evolved 7th generation starter with a hidden ability that's practical to have; Intimidate can definitely hinder the physical sweepers.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not to mention that as of making this post, as someone competitive in Pokemon, Incineroar is dominating the meta there, even amongst legendaries like Groudon and Xerneas.

That being said, that's part of my unpopular opinion, I think Incineroar's absurd competitive success in the Pokemon Video Game Championships was a factor as to how he got in.
I think Incineroar is a product of rushed development but I still know VGC being an influence would've come too late.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How is Incineroar a product of rushed development??
Consider how Wolf got in over Krystal: His body shape. Mimikyu's limbs are totally different from Pikachu's and Lycanroc is more slender than Duck Hunt. While Incineroar isn't a perfect match with Ganondorf's body shape, it's a closer match than the actual Alolan mascots and Decidueye have with any preexisting fighter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So Incineroar isn't considered to be among the Alolan mascots? If I recall correctly, its role in the anime is much more significant than what Decidueye had received. Also, Smash Bros. lacked an actual grappler before Ultimate, and Incineroar pretty much fits the bill in that department.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So Incineroar isn't considered to be among the Alolan mascots? If I recall correctly, its role in the anime is much more significant than what Decidueye had received. Also, Smash Bros. lacked an actual grappler before Ultimate, and Incineroar pretty much fits the bill in that department.
The ghost and wolf THAT ARE EVIL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MORE ANTHRO **** had more promotion. People don't like to know this because while Smash fans want FE reps to be more varied, they want Pokemon reps to be more similar.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The hell are you on about? Incineroar is not related to or have particularly similar proportions to Ganondorf. He's also... not similar to any other Pokemon we have in the game? Unless you just mean he's bipedal? Like Decidueye and Lycanroc would be?

Also, Nintendo doesn't pay attention to competitive anything. There's no chance competitive Pokemon had any influence on his inclusion. It was between him and Decidueye and Sakurai's whim decided that between a wrestler character (which we don't have) and an archer character (which we don't have), he preferred the wrestler. That's all there is to it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Consider how Wolf got in over Krystal: His body shape. Mimikyu's limbs are totally different from Pikachu's and Lycanroc is more slender than Duck Hunt. While Incineroar isn't a perfect match with Ganondorf's body shape, it's a closer match than the actual Alolan mascots and Decidueye have with any preexisting fighter.
Incineroar doesn't share any move animations with any of the existing characters like Wolf in Brawl did. You are making a stretch.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
New unpopular opinion: I think Robin is one of the worst characters in the game, just feels beyond underwhelming and too easy to deal with when playing against them.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
New unpopular opinion: I think Robin is one of the worst characters in the game, just feels beyond underwhelming and too easy to deal with when playing against them.
A good Robin will easily prove the character's mid-tier chops any day of the week, they DO have potential. They're just too gimmicky and scattered to get their **** together for high tier. Durability limits options, the command grab is worthless, your range is kinda meh, etc etc. That said, when you play a Robin that KNOWS their character, they can give you a special kind of hell in a lot of MU's. Slow characters and characters weaker to projectiles in general get skinned by Robin, thus there's no way they could be considered low tier. They're a viable counterpick in too many MU's. Ganon for example loses the Robin MU pretty noticeably.

Robin is one of the more technical zoners, you can't just spam B and win exchanges in neutral. Robin is kind of like a bizarre mix of Ness, a sword character and Samus.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, Nintendo doesn't pay attention to competitive anything. There's no chance competitive Pokemon had any influence on his inclusion. It was between him and Decidueye and Sakurai's whim decided that between a wrestler character (which we don't have) and an archer character (which we don't have), he preferred the wrestler. That's all there is to it.
And when you think it over, we actually have a couple bow users already. Whereas, the amount of true grapplers was pretty much non-existent. It's all thanks to Incineroar's inclusion that a new playstyle was born.

Robin is supposed to be a tactician, which can explain why his mobility is bad. You just have to learn to use his tomes intelligently, since you can't rely on projectile spamming to keep opponents away. And of course, fighters with reflectors can use Robin's tomes against him.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Also, Nintendo doesn't pay attention to competitive anything. There's no chance competitive Pokemon had any influence on his inclusion
But Gamefreak most certainly does --to the point where Sun and Moon's pre-release website poked fun at a VGC meme from the past year ("chalk up victory" was used when describing competitive multiplayer, with the past year's VGC having the infamous CHALK format of Cressalia, Heatran, Amoongus, Landorus, and Kangaskhan).

While it's just a theory, it's not completely baseless that Incineroar's competitive popularity may have influenced it's inclusion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But Gamefreak most certainly does --to the point where Sun and Moon's pre-release website poked fun at a VGC meme from the past year ("chalk up victory" was used when describing competitive multiplayer, with the past year's VGC having the infamous CHALK format of Cressalia, Heatran, Amoongus, Landorus, and Kangaskhan).

While it's just a theory, it's not completely baseless that Incineroar's competitive popularity may have influenced it's inclusion.
The competitive popularity came too late. At that point, you might as well save the Pokemon slot for DLC and make it an actual fan favorite.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And when you think it over, we actually have a couple bow users already. Whereas, the amount of true grapplers was pretty much non-existent. It's all thanks to Incineroar's inclusion that a new playstyle was born.

Robin is supposed to be a tactician, which can explain why his mobility is bad. You just have to learn to use his tomes intelligently, since you can't rely on projectile spamming to keep opponents away. And of course, fighters with reflectors can use Robin's tomes against him.
Honestly equating the Pits and the Links with "bow users" because of their neutral specials is no different from equating Bowser and Ridley with "grapplers" because of their side specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom