• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Least popular opinion in Smash history: Not every Smash related topic has to turn into a Fire Emblem topic.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Robin and Corrin have the most unique move sets of the Fire Emblem characters, and to possibly suggest cutting them before dealing with Roy and Chrom is completely absurd. Cutting those two would fix so many problems with the Fire Emblem reception and reduce it's place as a scapegoat. I'd be perfectly fine with the core Fire Emblem roster being Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin as they all bring unique play styles to the game despite technically all using swords. Lucina I'll allow as long as we have Echoes and I really think Fire Emblem needs female representation given how many prevalent female characters are in the series.

I know Roy has been eternally popular for...some reason, but he's by far the weakest link on the entire roster. Cutting him and his Echo opens up the door potentially for a more interesting Fire Emblem character to join without as much backlash/also just helps people who are convinced Fire Emblem's place on the roster is some giant travesty.

And I ****ing hate cuts, but Roy is basically the main one I'm willing to allow outside of one of our additional clone Links.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Robin and Corrin have the most unique move sets of the Fire Emblem characters, and to possibly suggest cutting them before dealing with Roy and Chrom is completely absurd. Cutting those two would fix so many problems with the Fire Emblem reception and reduce it's place as a scapegoat. I'd be perfectly fine with the core Fire Emblem roster being Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin as they all bring unique play styles to the game despite technically all using swords. Lucina I'll allow as long as we have Echoes and I really think Fire Emblem needs female representation given how many prevalent female characters are in the series.

I know Roy has been eternally popular for...some reason, but he's by far the weakest link on the entire roster. Cutting him and his Echo opens up the door potentially for a more interesting Fire Emblem character to join without as much backlash/also just helps people who are convinced Fire Emblem's place on the roster is some giant travesty.

And I ****ing hate cuts, but Roy is basically the main one I'm willing to allow outside of one of our additional clone Links.
Agreed. Personally I feel like solving the issue isn't cutting the offenders, it's simply not adding those kinds of fighters again and instead focusing on better choices.

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
World of Light is the least fun way to play the game. So many of the "Challenges" are completely stupid, and so unfair, that I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to play them unless they're a masochist.

Last edited:

l1l1l1l1

Smash Rookie
While you are definitely right at large, in some circles the competitive opinion seems more popular because they're more vocal about it...

osby

Smash Obsessed
World of Light is the least fun way to play the game. So many of the "Challenges" are completely stupid, and so unfair, that I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to play them unless they're a masochist.
Are you playing on easy?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Least popular opinion in Smash history: Not every Smash related topic has to turn into a Fire Emblem topic.
Ive seen people ask for Ridley and King K Rool since many years ago just to see them cry when their spots got taken over by Fire Emblem characters.

I am not even interested in Ridley or King K Rool but even i wanted to see them atleast added on DLC, like Mewtwo, but then Corrin happened and i just shook my head.

Guess thats why every topic about opinions gotta include FE negativity:D

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ive seen people ask for Ridley and King K Rool since many years ago just to see them cry when their spots got taken over by Fire Emblem characters.

I am not even interested in Ridley or King K Rool but even i wanted to see them atleast added on DLC, like Mewtwo, but then Corrin happened and i just shook my head.

Guess thats why every topic about opinions gotta include FE negativity:D
Because people wanted one character and didn't get them? That sounds incredibly petty and childish, but I guess it's unexpected or uncommon behavior from Smash fandom.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Because people wanted one character and didn't get them? That sounds incredibly petty and childish, but I guess it's unexpected or uncommon behavior from Smash fandom.
Trust me, i hate pointless whining myself.

I guess when it comes to gaming, game developers really need to listen to the whine before its too late. Street Fighter V is one example. They are starting to make ads within the game, and the reaction is pretty much divided. But compared to the business i worked on, gaming developers really takes a step too far if they dont get enough whining. Next months, we will propably see ads from other games or mountain dew if people dont stop the SFV from going that path.

The smash devs went a dangerous path in Smash4 with these FE characters. There is almost no attention to any FE character in this game now, and instead, we are getting very iconic characters that other universes like Samus universe needed in the roster.

But the thing is that there is ONE type of childish people i dont agree with, and that is those who litteraly attacks PEOPLE WORKING WITH THE GAME if they dont get what they need. Sakurai might do questionable choices in the roster, but other than that, the rest of the game is one of the best games ever created. The stages, the fun, the controls, i expect everything to be good, and it is ALWAYS good. I bet Sakurai is sitting there testing every single part of controls and how stages works and wont sleep until it is corrected.

Even if the roster need improvements, i am still going to throw money at Sakurai all the time he releases a new Smash. Because he has never let me down in the gameplay, EVER. Even the 3DS version is one of the best * games i have on handheld. He KNOWS quality when it comes to gameplay. Sakurai like the rest of the Nintendo have my full trust. I only preorder Nintendo games, thats how much i trust Nintendo.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The smash devs went a dangerous path in Smash4 with these FE characters. There is almost no attention to any FE character in this game now, and instead, we are getting very iconic characters that other universes like Samus universe needed in the roster.
We got both Fire Emblem characters and iconic characters in the last game. Same with this game. There are literally two characters of a difference.

Mooer

Smash Cadet
Not that unpopular but there are too many FE characters with swords. The FE games have so many different weapon types that it's sad that they couldn't have even included even one axe or spear user in the ENTIRE GAME.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Not that unpopular but there are too many FE characters with swords. The FE games have so many different weapon types that it's sad that they couldn't have even included even one axe or spear user in the ENTIRE GAME.
Even though I am not a FE fan. Series never clicked with me. I really liked TMS #FE. I would have loved to see some of the Mirage versions of FE characters playable in Ultimate. They look way more interesting than standard FE fighters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe it's because most of the main characters have swords?

But agreed, it's not an unpopular opinion by any means, this is pretty off-topic. You might want to talk about this in another thread.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
  • I still would've preferred another Pokemon to Incineroar. Decidueye, Lycanroc, Nighelego, etc.
  • Black Shadow as a Falcon echo is ridiculous. It's Blaziken or nothing.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We got both Fire Emblem characters and iconic characters in the last game. Same with this game. There are literally two characters of a difference.
What people are trying to say it that's its stupid that we're getting so many lame Fire Emblem fighters when there were clearly better choices they could have made.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
What people are trying to say it that's its stupid that we're getting so many lame Fire Emblem fighters when there were clearly better choices they could have made.
Its pretty interesting how people are asking for Waluigi all the time, even as a clone, yet he gets ignored and they rather put third party characters and characters not even existing in the game.

And there is not much love for Kirby. Isnt Kirby the creation of Sakurai? Why is there like 3 only? I am still quite puzzled that there are 7 FE characters in the roster. My guess is that Fire Emblem is massively popular in Japan, more popular than Kirby or many other universes in Nintendo.

I hope Nintendo consider giving out some roster spots, atleast 3-4 of them for Nintendo Europé/America so that they can discuss them with their audience outside Japan, because Nintendo is selling very well by now.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Naked Snake sounds a bit boring to me as an echo bc (Solid) Snake has already many of MGS3's camos as costumes and even takes some design cues from Naked Snake (i.e. his beard). Nothing against Naked Snake, I love him, but I feel the Solid Snake in Smash is a bit of an almagamation of both Solid and Naked, so putting Naked as an Echo would be kinda... redundant? (even if yes Simon is a mixture of him and Richter, but both have vastly different appearances). I prefer MGS2 Raiden as an Echo

Oh and as always, a Fire Emblem one: even if the complaints only started in SSB4, I feel the "problem" in the Fire Emblem cast is Roy, and not Corrin, Lucina, Chrom, or 7 characters:
  • Marth is the OG, popular, started the series
  • Ike is unique, also popular
  • Robin, Chrom and Lucina are all popular and star the most famous game in the series, add some uniqueness points to Robin
  • Corrin is the second weakest link yes, pretty unpopular (aside from "hurrr waifu" cases) but at least they have uniqueness in their side
  • While Roy... I never played his game but I do know that in the FE fanbase, completely disregarding Smash, he's absolutely unpopular. One of the least popular lords and to boot isn't that unique (even if SSB4 did a wonderful job in fleshing him out). idk I feel if we didn't have Roy (and yes, keeping Chrom), the overall scope of FE characters would at least feel better imo. Marth/Lucina/Chrom would feel more like a Fox/Falco/Wolf situation (same template, different execution), while Ike, Robin and Corrin bring diversity. Roy's entire popularity solely comes from Smash
I know it makes no sense since Roy came before all of them, Roy paved way to Chrom in a sense, and the whole point of Ultimate is everyone is here, but that's how I feel

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Its pretty interesting how people are asking for Waluigi all the time, even as a clone, yet he gets ignored and they rather put third party characters and characters not even existing in the game.

And there is not much love for Kirby. Isnt Kirby the creation of Sakurai? Why is there like 3 only? I am still quite puzzled that there are 7 FE characters in the roster. My guess is that Fire Emblem is massively popular in Japan, more popular than Kirby or many other universes in Nintendo.
There's actually a really simple explanation: Sakurai likes Fire Emblem. Hey, nothing wrong with that.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That really wouldn't work. If anything, Blaziken would be a faster Falcon, not a slow one.
Blaziken would be slower than Captain Falcon, but not as slow as Ganondorf. However, Blaziken would be a fantastic jumper.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I feel like The Roster was fine with 6 fire emblem chracthers tbh Chrom was the straw that broke the camel back.

Also maybe its just me but i hate whenever someone chracther didn't get in they Ussaly blame Fire emblem and call of the reps Anime trash even though most of The fire emblem reps deserves their spot

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I hope Nintendo consider giving out some roster spots, atleast 3-4 of them for Nintendo Europé/America so that they can discuss them with their audience outside Japan, because Nintendo is selling very well by now.
Fire Emblem can barely sell when it's not a free game in comparison to most other major Nintendo first parties (and even some third parties) so it's clear that they hold the series to a much lower standard as a result. That's why we have three lame Marth clones and an even worse advertisement fighter. Although it's still ridiculous that the series has more fighters than Kirby and DK combined and Zelda. Like, is this a joke?

I have no clue why Kirby hasn't had a newcomer in a decade. There is no decent explanation. Literally every other major series has either had a newcomer or a returning veteran since Brawl, and yet here we are. It's obvious that Sakurai favors the Kirby games he made over modern Kirby games, which means he doesn't have as much material he's willing to work with as other series, but it's still outrageous that we haven't seen any new decent Kirby content since 2008.

Fire Emblem is more popular in Japan than it is in the west but you would by lying if you said it was more popular than Super Mario, Zelda, or Kirby on a global or Japanese scale.

Personally I don't see any excuse for the inclusion of :ultcorrin::ultroy::ultlucina: and I'm still disappointed how :ultchrom: turned out (why did you do this to the precious child).

And for the record, "X is unique so they deserve to be in" is a **** argument.
I really don't see any excuse why Fire Emblem has more than four fighters or why Kirby, DK and Zelda have been left in the dust for a while.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem can barely sell when it's not a free game in comparison to most other major Nintendo first parties (and even some third parties) so it's clear that they hold the series to a much lower standard as a result. That's why we have three lame Marth clones and an even worse advertisement fighter. Although it's still ridiculous that the series has more fighters than Kirby and DK combined and Zelda. Like, is this a joke?

I have no clue why Kirby hasn't had a newcomer in a decade. There is no decent explanation. Literally every other major series has either had a newcomer or a returning veteran since Brawl, and yet here we are. It's obvious that Sakurai favors the Kirby games he made over modern Kirby games, which means he doesn't have as much material he's willing to work with as other series, but it's still outrageous that we haven't seen any new decent Kirby content since 2008.

Fire Emblem is more popular in Japan than it is in the west but you would by lying if you said it was more popular than Super Mario, Zelda, or Kirby on a global or Japanese scale.

Personally I don't see any excuse for the inclusion of :ultcorrin::ultroy::ultlucina: and I'm still disappointed how :ultchrom: turned out (why did you do this to the precious child).

And for the record, "X is unique so they deserve to be in" is a **** argument.
I really don't see any excuse why Fire Emblem has more than four fighters or why Kirby, DK and Zelda have been left in the dust for a while.
Donkey Kong just got a newcomer, what are you talking about?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem can barely sell when it's not a free game in comparison to most other major Nintendo first parties (and even some third parties) so it's clear that they hold the series to a much lower standard as a result.
Yeah. Because Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates sold so badly.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the reason why there is no newcomers for Zelda cause they think they added everyone IMPORANT same with Kirby also japan really likes fire emblem more than Kirby

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yea I agree with you, DK is good for all intents and purposes now with K Rool, although it is a shame Dixie never made it because she definitely deserved it

I feel like this game finally cemented Metroid in terms of representation, with Ridley and Dark Samus, anything beyond here is just bonus for the series. DK is close, but I feel it still needs Dixie to be really cemented like the Metroid series is.

For Kirby, I feel Bandana Dee would need to be added to cement the series and that’s really it, the series doesn’t really have any other super popular recurrring characters. For Zelda, and, granted, I am biased, I’d say we need Skull Kid and Impa at the least to cement the series, as those are two wildly popular yet also recurring characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That really wouldn't work. If anything, Blaziken would be a faster Falcon, not a slow one.
If anything, Blaziken / Captain Falcon would be much like Fox and Falco. Clearly based on each other, yet their distinct differences in stats and playstyle. Blaziken wouldn't be AS fast, though Speed Boost could make that happen still. His Specials would function much the same, maybe more power even, and super armor? I dunno. I forgot about Blaziken as soon as Incineroar came, because I wouldn't want yet another fire starter at this exact moment.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Its good for Sakurai that he likes FE characters. I dont mind him if he adds Fire Emblem characters on the roster as long as it is like a bonus character and not some kind of DLC like … Corrin. I think the reason for later backfiring is because of this character coming with Roy.

I honestly think that Nintendo is starting to realise how a big part of their costumers are outside of Japan. I have noticed Waluigi being added in many polls from Nintendo and that it doesnt seem that FE characters is getting love anymore due to the huge backlash Corrin and Roy as DLC had. While they are still making Waluigi as a giant joke and a sore loser, i wouldnt be surprised if he got added as a mission to revive his trophy to become a fighter, much like Luigi going from a coward to a hero that goes and kick ghost *ss to save Mario.

Waluigi and Knuckle Joe spirits on a mission to restore the trophy to a fighter, that would be a good way to finish the DLC.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah. Because Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates sold so badly.
I said in comparison. Don't take me out of context.
FE Total sales: < 13 million.
Wario, Kirby, DK, Zelda, Pokemon, Super Mario, etc.: At least 20 million each.
The point I'm trying to make is that nowhere in the makeup of the roster do sales and popularity match up with representation.
If you mean being left in the dust, I see your point. But IMO King K. Rool should have been in the Smash 4 base game (and on that note the perfect Smash 4 would have zero clones), and we could have gone for another newcomer this time around if that were the case. 3 fighters for arguably one of Nintendo's most iconic series just feels like an afterthought.

Another thought: Blaziken could work fine as a Captain Falcon clone But I'd rather see Ganondorf get some major changes before that. It would also make more sense for Blaziken to have slight moveset differences to compensate for probably being slower and more powerful than Falcon. I'd like Blaziken to be a bit different than Incineroar too, since he sounds like another high risk/high reward fighter with some serious drawbacks. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Fire Emblem's roster consisting mostly of sword units is fine. It's the most common type of weapon in the series, and most of the POPULAR characters use them. The other weapon types are either already covered by other none FE characters, or just don't bring anything interesting to the table (also, FE magic is already covered by Robin). Not to mention the fact that all of the unique FE characters have special effects on their swords like Ike's making blue explosions, or Corrin's sword being a chain saw on his f-smash.

Also, as much as I hate FE as a franchise (Heroes is kind of fun though), I don't think it's really over-represented. 1/3 of the FE roster is just low-effort clones that didn't "steal" anyones spot. Personally, I think Roy needs to go (and Corrin to), but even he's still essentially a Marth clone.

I wish assist trophies didn't exist. I find a lot of them to be over-powered, or incredibly annoying (Nintendog). On top of that, while I can't say for sure, looking at the amount of effort put into some of these ATs makes me feel like some of them could've been actual characters rather than ATs. Like, some of them straight up have final smashes, as well as things like dodging & jumping animations. Something tells that if we didn't get a bunch of half complete characters as ATs they probably could've been full fledged fighters.

I like the slower pace of Smash 4 compared to Ultimate.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wish assist trophies didn't exist. I find a lot of them to be over-powered, or incredibly annoying (Nintendog). On top of that, while I can't say for sure, looking at the amount of effort put into some of these ATs makes me feel like some of them could've been actual characters rather than ATs. Like, some of them straight up have final smashes, as well as things like dodging & jumping animations. Something tells that if we didn't get a bunch of half complete characters as ATs they probably could've been full fledged fighters.
Even though ATs are becoming increasingly more complex, I feel as though if they were never included, we'd only have 1-2, maybe even 3 in Ultimate's case, more newcomers per game. Which I'm sure many would still accept depending on who the characters are, but still. Hell the resources not spent on ATs might even go to more items/Poke Ball Pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom