• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Even though there's been a new Pokemon every generation up to this point, I don't think we need a new character for gen VII. Gen VII is already being represented perfectly fine with the pokeball Pokemon.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Megaman wouldn't bring anything very special to the game if Samus had a moveset more faithful to her games.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
1) I'd prefer Adeleine over Bandana Dee, or really any or no Kirby character over Bandana Dee
2) I don't see need for Isabelle when Villager reps Animal Crossing alone so well. Same for Shadow.
3) I think expecting a lot of unique newcomers and treating it like Smash 4 or Brawl speculation is unwise, because of the main appeal in bringing everyone back, I cringe at "characters I want for Ultimate" lists that are more than 5 characters for example because I know that's setting up for disappointment
4) I dislike the general culture of how pretty much every character with a support thread, the supporters sometimes expect the character to be "likely" and get really mad as a result than usual when the character misses the spot. There are so many characters being supported and a lot of arguments thrown around for their inclusion, you'd think all of them would be coming, but that's not how it works.
5) I'm fine with more Fire Emblem reps as long as they aren't Awakening/Fates characters. I dislike that that makes up more than half the FE cast currently than there being 7 FE characters.
6) I don't see what Waluigi brings to the table that Wario doesn't already bring. And I think "he will represent spin offs" is flimsy given Peach/Bowser Jr represents some already and that Waluigi isn't even the sole nor representative spin off character.
7) The "everyone is here" thing isn't that impressive when considering that the characters not in Smash 4 but in previous games are in the single digits. But it is understandable that at this point it might be the only time it could happen.
8) Banjo Kazooie if he was in the game, would be infinitely more exciting if people didn't consider him after the Phil Spencer tweet as it'd be a genuine surprise. Yet if that tweet didn't exist there wouldn't be realistic support for him hence he might not be in the game. It's a weird catch 22, but regardless I think people are overestimating how surprising it'd be.
9) This game won't replace Melee. Not even close. Brawl didn't do it, Smash 4 didn't do it. This won't either.
10) Final Smash Meter will face the same saga as custom moves in Smash 4 did.
11) I prefer the old perfect shield. I think the new one will make the game more defensive.
12) I'm glad Wario represents Warioware more than Wario Land. The former is more unique of a franchise than the latter, Nintendo already has a ton of platformers.
13) Ryu's new mechanic of facing the player seems troublesome. If it works in the air as well I can see him being easily gimped off stage by certain characters just by forcing him to change directions lol.
14) They should've updated Mega Man with his Mega Man 8 look and mannerisms.
15) Goku has a higher than 0% chance to make it. Nothing will happen if Sakurai contradicts himself, hell won't freeze over.
16) It's Smash 6 not Smash 5!

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I certainly was more intrigued by any of the new echo fighters (Daiys, Chrom, Dark Samus, Richter) than I was about Inkling...
People, that freak out over echo fighters, are probably just happy to have one of their favorite characters playable, despite them being an echo. Nothing wrong with that.
"Freak out" applied just as much to the character **** measuring contest (Metroid having more characters than DK now, the omni-present FE ********)... I just find it curious/interesting that these low-effort additions get almost as much hype and rage as full newcomers from the community.

Anyways, I think this should be ended now because this really isn't a debate thread.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon deserve a bunch of new fighters.
Most fire emblem characters are just plain boring to play as. For all the hate Corrin gets, he at least has a somewhat unique moveset.
Also Chrom may be the least hyped I've been about a newcomer ever.

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I actually love the idea of echo fighters, as it makes the roster look bigger, and pleases more fans.
I don't think we have "too many characters" of any franchise, they are all there for a reason.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hot take fresh off the press: K. Rool's Final Smash from an animation and cinematic point of view is absolutely terrible.

Unlike Ridley's cutscene where the opponent is shown smashing INTO Samus' ship before he blows it up, K. Rool hits the opponent upwards, then randomly appears in his ship and blows up DK Island.

I know the enemy is SUPPOSED to be on the island, but they couldn't have had a split second of the opponent crashing into DK mountain top, or even just standing on the beach before K. Rool blows up the island to better visually connect the destruction of the island with actual damage to the enemy?

As it stands the only ones it works with are Donkey and Diddy Kong and even then it just comes off more as emotional damage if we don't see them take the laser hit.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
1) I hope no more third parties get added until DLC.
2) I don't hate that Fire Emblem has 7 reps, I just don't like that half of them are Marths.
3) Mario and Pokemon can't really be overrepresented.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I get really annoyed that Zero Suit Samus and Dr. Mario are the SAME PEOPLE as Samus and Mario yet they are considered different characters. Seeing that on the select screen kills me. I know it’s an OCD thing, but DAMN.

At least the “Links” are different people. I actually wish they would refer to them as “Hero of Time”, “Hero of Winds”, and “Hero of the Wild”, because “Young Link” and especially “Toon Link” are incredibly stupid and thoughtless names for these characters.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
It baffles me when people say that there's hundreds of viable Pokemon reps when, in reality, I'd say it's more like 20-30. Of course there are hundreds of Pokemon that can mechanically work in Smash, but I think it's more important that we get iconic and groundbreaking Pokemon instead of random ones.

Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff are all generation 1 stars. Lucario is the defining Pokemon of generation 4, and Greninja is for generation 6. Pichu is the only Pokemon on the roster that may not be an "icon", but at least it's related to the mascot of the franchise. Gengar, Gardevoir, Sceptile, Scizor, Garchomp, Machamp, etc. are all well-known Pokemon, but they're also has-beens who have never hit icon status. Meowth is an example of a Pokemon who fits this description but hasn't been put in yet. Eevee is looking like it may also go down this path, and perhaps Mimikyu if it stays popular and marketed (but that's a bit of a stretch). There's also Mew, Arceus, and many legendaries, but most of them won't work for Smash. Beyond these, I can't think of many more.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Not wanting someone in is fine. Only doing so to intentionally aggravate others is not fine.
Geno won't and shouldn't be in this game and the salt storm his absence unleashes will be delicious.

King of Ooo

Smash Rookie
I think we need more pokemon .
Sans is a joke character and should not be in smash.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I’m a very big Isaac supporter and he (or any Golden Sun rep tbh) is my number one pick for a new character. Even still, I’d personally rather a couple Golden Sun remixes over a character representation. The biggest disappointment for me in 4 regarding GS is not that there was zero representation even for Assist trophies, but that the Golden Sun track they added to the music list is the Dark Dawn Overworld unremixed. It wasn’t even that good of an ost, surely there were many better choices for an added track, right?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
simply for the huge amount of content
But there are plenty of video games that come out every year with "huge amounts of content" that are sold for $60. Why would Nintendo purposefully screw itself out of a massive chunk of its player base? Unless the game comes with all of it's DLC for free, I just can't see the possibility of that happening.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don't have a problem with the amount of Marth clones because I find Marth to be the most fun character to play, and I've never even played a Fire Emblem game. Now I have four different variations of that moveset to play around with? Even better.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People who are trying to pass off Geno, Skull Kid, and either Isaac or Waddle Dee as "the new highly-requested trio" are honestly kidding themselves. The gap between Ridley/K. Rool/Mewtwo and these guys is enormous. There IS no new "trifecta" of characters.

While I'd personally take Adeleine over Bandana Waddle Dee any day (to complete the BitF quartet), I'd also gladly take more Fire Emblem or Pokémon characters over more Kirby characters.

"There's no such thing as shoo-ins" be damned, Isabelle is a shoo in.

Chrom is by far the most hypeworthy newcomer.

Fire Emblem characters in general are some of the only inclusions at this point that'd truly excite me. Celica would be the single most hypeworthy inclusion from this point on. Put her in, Sakurai. But even beyond her, likeliness be damned, Caeda, Merric, Virion, Tobin, Silque, Frederick, Lena, Hardin, Minerva, Saber, Tiki...all would be really high on my list.

Same with Pokémon, really. Give me Chandelure, Sakurai.

Heihachi, Lloyd, and Banjo don't excite me in the slightest.

I've always felt Ashley fans tend to overstate her popularity. In general I don't think WarioWare really needs another character. More than anything it just feels like an offshoot of the Mario series, like Yoshi does.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I really don’t see Geno getting in. I get that he has his fans, especially those who grew up with Super Mario RPG, but that was his only notable appearance in the past two decades. In a game that pandering to a larger demographic besides the die-hard fans, I don’t see how he measures up against more relevant or universally popular characters.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
  • I love every character that's been put in Smash, and would never want any of them to be remove. Obviously this could be changed, but I doubt it will.
  • Most people hate on Waluigi simply because most of his/his loudest fans are annoying, and the fans are the only/biggest reason they don't want him in, which isn't that great of a reason.
  • Roy and Chrom are different enough from Marth not to be considered another Marth. Speaking of FE, more characters would be fine (I hope Edelgard gets in as DLC, as she uses an axe and I personally like her design)
  • I wouldn't be sad or angry if we didn't get a Subspace like mode, just a little dissapointed.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
This is not a thread to spam random thoughts. Keep it on-topic and about actual Smash, not impossible characters that are clearly only wanted for meme jokes.
My opinion was so unpopular it got deleted :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
The Fire Emblem characters are perfectly fine. Yes, they have a very, VERY vocal hatebase (one glance at Gamefaqs might make one believe the entire site is anti-FE), but I completely understand their purpose in Smash.
I see casuals and hardcore players a lot, in-person and in videos online. Something consistent between everything is that Fire Emblem characters are played, a LOT. In the Japanese Smash Ult tourney, every other match had an Ike or Marth. I know many casuals who don't know a thing about Lucina or Marth or Roy, but still play them anyway.
The Fire Emblem cast has a very broad appeal. Simple to use, cool, visually distinct (hang on, let me finish) designs. Now you may be about to respond with "But they're all blue haired anime sword fighters, they aren't distinct at all!". And within their own series, that's very fair. If you're arguing about how Fire Emblem as a whole is being represented, sure. I can't argue with that. There's a ton of unique and diverse FE characters. But in regards to the rest of the Smash Bros. roster, they are distinct. Marth has a medieval-esque appeal, Ike has the cool mercenary look going, etc. Just like you were drawn to Little Mac for being a boxer, or Samus for being a cool space armor fighter, or Jigglypuff/Pichu for being cute, unexpected fighters, or whoever it is you like, the Fire Emblem characters all hit a demographic too. The only people that really compare are Link and Shulk, and Shulk doesn't really fit with his laser sword and more dystopian design. And Link is his own category of appeal altogether.
Is there too much? No, I don't think so. Chrom was STILL highly requested even with all the hate FE got in 4. I think we should focus on the requests, not the negativity to remove characters. If Fire Emblem is still being requested, why not? I also, of course, think this should apply to every other series. Whether that's been upheld in the past or now is not for me to say, but I think Ult is doing a great job of delivering on this idea of focusing on requested characters and not removing anyone.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I am okay with a non-video game character getting in the roster, but only if they have contributed something significant to Nintendo over the years. Whether Goku fits that description or not is up for debate. He’s had a bunch of games on Nintendo systems to be sure, but most of them are on other platforms as well.

On the other hand, Nintendo had a direct hand in making Peanuts games for the Game and Watch and Hamtaro games for the Game Boy Color/Advance. Either of those franchises would probably be easier to acquire than Mickey Mouse despite a very significant history between Disney and Nintendo.

So Snoopy and Hamtaro for Smash Ultimate please; one for the West and the other for the East.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't bother me that much, just minor niggles, but, w/ regards to stage names...

Flat Zone X should be Flat Zone - I understand not wanting to confuse it with the stage of the same name in Melee but, in a game that has neither Flat Zone 1 nor 2 individually, slapping an X on the end of the stage name must be slightly confusing to newcomers

This seems like an unpopular opinion now:
EVERY STAGE SHOULD BE BACK (except redundancies like Flat Zone 1 and 2 - and Pictochat should be merged with 2. Miiverse could be done with a collection of iconic posts but I wouldn't lose sleep without it.)

Sincerely hope they'll all be back for DLC. Pac-Maze can be tweaked by putting P1/P2/P3 etc. markers over the ghosts when a player has a power pellet (and maybe tweak it so that only one player can have a power pellet at a time, as having multiple markers over the ghosts would be pretty cluttered)

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I am okay with a non-video game character getting in the roster, but only if they have contributed something significant to Nintendo over the years. Whether Goku fits that description or not is up for debate. He’s had a bunch of games on Nintendo systems to be sure, but most of them are on other platforms as well.

On the other hand, Nintendo had a direct hand in making Peanuts games for the Game and Watch and Hamtaro games for the Game Boy Color/Advance. Either of those franchises would probably be easier to acquire than Mickey Mouse despite a very significant history between Disney and Nintendo.

So Snoopy and Hamtaro for Smash Ultimate please; one for the West and the other for the East.
Popeye for Smash! :)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think it's kind of baffling Kamek out of all characters has a sizeable fanbase. To me, it'd be like requesting Goomba or Koopa (especially when in Japan, Magikoopas overall are called "Kamek", which'd make the separate Kamek character a localization error I guess????)
I do think it'd be awesome if Yoshi got a second character, Echo or not, but I really don't think Kamek is a good choice

Oh and about Fire Emblem, it's not much an "unpopular opinion" but it makes me wonder which is unpopular: I mean yes FE having 7 characters gets a lot of hate and whatever, but both Roy and Chrom were added in SSB4 and Ultimate respectively because of fan requests????? And while you could argue that Corrin made all the hate blow up, the complaint already was big when Robin and Lucina were announced for SSB4

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I got one.

Miis are a great addition. People discard them without ever playing them I feel. Gunner is a lot of fun in particular.
Their costumes are also neat, since we can SORTA cram a few extra characters in that way. It definitly works better for some characters than others. For example the Proto Man costume in Smash 4 covers most of the Miis body and face, so it looks pretty authentic and the moveset fits too. Then there's others that look like weird mascot suits, which just don't work as well (like Tails or Isabelle).

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Making jabs at other fans won't be tolerated. Just because you can make opinions here without criticisms doesn't mean you can post clear flame bait.
My Unpopular Opinions:
A. Pichu should've been the ONE Veteran to be exclused, since It's GARBAGE Tier
B. Spirits mode should NOT have a Story like Subspace Emissary, It should just be like Melee's Adventure mode
C. Waluigi is Overhyped, and doesn't deserve more than an assist trophy
D. Bayonetta shouldn't be in either, SHE'S STILL even MORE OP than Brawl's Meta Knight

Mod Edit: Blatant attack against other fans removed. Knock it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Many if not most new character requests come across as meme jokes to me, even if the requester is earnestly and honestly asking for this character.

(Geno? Isaac? Goku? Popeye? Banjo-Kazooie? Steve? Snoopy? Bandana Dee? Weird Pokemon/Digimon? etc.)

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Bandana dee is uninspired and boring and definitely shouldn’t be in smash. Marx would be hype though.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It’s one thing to simply dislike a character and not want them included, but to act like a self-righteous insufferable know-it-all about their inclusion, be hateful and spiteful towards their fans, and to go as far as cheering for and enjoying fans being upset about a deconfirmation is outright despicable. Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion per say, but this toxicity is far too rampant in the smash community already.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I believe the reason why characters like Skull Kid and Geno got so popular is because of smash bros fans scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for more nintendo characters they believe would make good fighters.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I believe the reason why characters like Skull Kid and Geno got so popular is because of smash bros fans scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for more nintendo characters they believe would make good fighters.
Now you're just trying to pass of an opinion as fact, without realizing the fact that both Geno and Skull Kid were wanted heavily a whole decade ago in the brawl speculation period. Like, if anything, most of the newcomers in smash 4 would be 'bottom of the barrel', which Id still argue most of them aren't. Both Geno and Skull Kid are my most wanted characters right now, so you're just being kinda an asshole about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom