• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- mario, pokemon , and zelda can not be over repped

- echo's are fine to pad the roster

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
More unpopular opinions
  • Smash Ultimate is the greatest crossover game to ever exist (excluding MUGEN cause that's just cheating)
  • This game should cost at least $100+
  • If you're still upset that your character didn't make it or a feature didn't get added, you're a spoiled brat and make the Smash community look bad

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Some actual blazing hot takes:
-Sakurai should cut clones *and semi-clones/semi-semi-clones* for the next one. No Falco, no triple Link, no Wolf, no Doc, no Lucas, no echoes; either make them really unique characters with, for instance, specials which are more that slight tweaks, or rid of them. The only exception is Dorf, but again, *only* if he gets reworked.
-Items can be made competitively viable with reworks to their mechanics and Sakurai should try harder to make this the case
-Stage bans are too conservative. Sure, spot bans can be a thing, but universal bans....less so. A character being good on a stage could potentially be part of what makes them good as a character
-There are no good 3rd parties left. Sora is incredibly unlikely, with a minimal Nintendo connection (why would Nintendo advertise PS4/One games...?), not nearly as iconic, and controlled by Disney's iron fist. Rayman is similarly not as iconic, and would make for a boring character. Rinse and repeat for Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc etc
-There is very, very, *very* obviously a trend which characters, and especially 3rd parties follow for Sakurai to select them in general and people pretending like all it takes is for a character to be popular sound crazy
-Slot numbers matter. Time spent of echoes or semi-clones is time not spent on more unique content and although there's not, say, a cap, there is still a point when the team will say "yeah we have enough"
-The Fire Emblem issue isn't that theyre all sword users, because there are plenty of those, but that its all boring samey characters. Oh, a nimble sword user with a counter? Great; can't wait to take that for a spin. Where's the variety? There are tons and tons of varied FE characters, yet here we are, with the most cookie cutter ones. I demand Hector.
-Sakurai needs to lean in on making characters more unique in general. I was kinda bummed to see Simon's up B is yet another uppercut and KKRools yet another fly mode - what happened to neat things like Ryus inputs or Bayo's combo basis? There needs to be more of that.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Some actual blazing hot takes:
-Sakurai should cut clones *and semi-clones/semi-semi-clones* for the next one. No Falco, no triple Link, no Wolf, no Lucas, no echoes; either make them really unique characters with, for instance, specials which are more that slight tweaks, or get rid of them. The only exception is Dorf, but again, *only* if he gets reworked.
-Items can be made competitively viable with reworks to their mechanics and Sakurai should try harder to make this the case
-Stage bans are too conservative. Sure, spot bans can be a thing, but universal bans....less so. A character being good on a stage could potentially be part of what makes them good as a character
-There are no good 3rd parties left. Sora is incredibly unlikely, with a minimal Nintendo connection (why would Nintendo advertise PS4/One games...?), not nearly as iconic, and controlled by Disney's iron fist. Rayman is similarly not as iconic, and would make for a boring character. Rinse and repeat for Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc etc
-Slot numbers matter. Time spent of echoes or semi-clones is time not spent on more unique content and although there's not, say, a cap, there is still a point when the team will say "yeah we have enough"
-The Fire Emblem issue isn't that theyre all sword users, because there are plenty of those, but that its all boring samey characters. Oh, a nimble sword user with a counter? Great; can't wait to take that for a spin. Where's the variety? There are tons and tons of varied FE characters, yet here we are, with the most cookie cutter ones. I demand Hector.
-Sakurai needs to lean in on making characters more unique in general. I was kinda bummed to see Simon's up B is yet another uppercut and KKRools yet another fly mode - what happened to neat things like Ryus inputs or Bayo's combo basis? There needs to be more of that.
Would you say that Scorpion is iconic enough to make into Smash? I know there's a problem with the gore (although, Bayonetta exist), but I feel like that could be toned down & that Sakurai could pull from other notable aspects of MK like having his taunts be things freindships & babilities).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
  • I don't care about any of the newomers so far (Aside from Inkling).
  • Blaziken over Falcon is a likely echo
  • Kirby could get 5 newcomers and I wouldn't mind

Kes

Smash Cadet
-I think "everyone is here" was a bad idea and would rather have more newcomers I've never played before than having stuff like Young Link, Pichu, Lucina, Roy, Corrin, or Pokemon Trainer back.
-Fire Emblem's problem isn't the number of characters, but how disproportionately it represents especially Awakening (which as a long time fan is my least favorite in the series, and is only successful because they actually marketed it for once). I would cut Chrom, Lucina, Roy and Corrin and then add Celica, Leif (as a weapon master type), Hector, Ephraim, and Anna (as an archer). I would like Lyndis, Tiki, Micaiah, Eirika, and Sigurd as well, but the previous list represents the franchise as a whole best imo.
-Cloud and Bayoneta deserve to be here, and the Bayonetta hate is undeserved and childish.
-One-off Zelda characters (and characters who change frequently like Impa) are still deserving of being in and I'd be okay with any absurd amount of Zelda newcomers.
-The Mother series doesn't deserve any more characters

Last edited:

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
- 'Spirits' is likely a misreading and definitely has nothing to do with the character reveal trailers
- The issue with Fire Emblem is how darned similar all the characters are to each other. Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, and Chrom all have practically the same moveset!
- Skull Kid would be cool, but Vaati, Girahim, and Midna deserve the slot more
- Lana from Hyrule Warriors would be a really neat inclusion, since she comes from a crossover mascot game and her whole thing is existing outside regular continuity
- Pirate Ship is the best stage ever
- having both Omega mode AND an off switch for stage hazards is pointless

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I have no interest in seeing Banjo-Kazooie in the game at all. Probably wouldn't even break my top 100 list for characters I'd want in the game. It's possible I'm misunderstanding the character, but I don't see what he adds that we don't already have from Duck Hunt.

I also don't really want Bandana Dee, which feels like the same thing as putting a Goomba wearing a baseball cap or a Koopa wearing a sombrero in. That being said, if Banjo and Bandana Dee get in and look fun and unique to play then I won't mind at all.

Minor series like Warioware, FZero, and Earthbound shouldn't get any more characters in unless they suddenly get more relevant.

I'd love to see more 3rd party characters in from popular and/or recent games, like Joker from Persona, Nathan Drake from Uncharted, scorpion from Mortal Kombat, etc. I feel like those characters would do more and get more eyes on the series. I'm not asking for smash to be over run with them or anything, but I'd much rather have them over someone like Funky Kong or Louie, who wouldn't do as much for the series.

We don't need an indie rep in smash.

I'm ok with more silly characters getting in like Wii Fit and ROB. Like I said with my section above on the 3rd party characters, moderation is key, but not every character needs to be super serious or a long awaited request. Just provide me with interesting characters or fun designs and I'm probably going to be ok with it

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Geno should be an Assist Trophy, at best. Music is where it's at for SMRPG representation.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Everyone must think themselves very unique and creative for not liking the Fire Emblem reps. Thought this was supposed to be unpopular opinions...

aarchak

Smash Ace
Everyone must think themselves very unique and creative for not liking the Fire Emblem reps. Thought this was supposed to be unpopular opinions...
Yeah, "too many FE reps" is the most popular opinion, so much that Kotaku made an article agreeing with the sentiment, but honestly, I want like 7-8 more FE reps. The series doesn't have enough representation.

Mallow should be in Smash instead of Geno

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I like that Corrin is returning and prefer playing as Corrin over Marth and his clones Roy, Lucina and Chrom.

aarchak

Smash Ace
You shouldn't have crossed that out.

Mallow is a much more interesting character than Geno.
Yeah, right after I posted that I found the Mallow support thread and realized there is actual support for him, and I have to say that Mallow is a more unique character than Geno, who I imagine would just play similarly to Samus.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Yeah, right after I posted that I found the Mallow support thread and realized there is actual support for him, and I have to say that Mallow is a more unique character than Geno, who I imagine would just play similarly to Samus.
Exactly. I mean, how many other characters can seperate the top half of their body from the bottom while they fight?

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, "too many FE reps" is the most popular opinion, so much that Kotaku made an article agreeing with the sentiment, but honestly, I want like 7-8 more FE reps. The series doesn't have enough representation.

Mallow should be in Smash instead of Geno
Fire Emblem would like to have a character that isn't based around a sword; like Micaiah <3

----

About unpopular opinions... Well...

I think any franchises can have several newcomers if they have the potential to offer many different gameplay styles and character styles.

Klimax

Smash Ace
- Competitive Smash Bros is not interesting at all. Playing without items on final destination stages is boring, it's like playing Mario Kart without items, only on Baby Park. This is not what Smash Bros is supposed to be.

- Disliking only because of his fanbase is dumb.

- Mario deserves more reps

- Smash Bros will become just like MARVEL movies and Mario Kart. When Sakurai will not be able to make another Smash, he'll be replaced by some kind of yesman who's going to change just a few things from the last game. You'll have no real difference between Smash Games, only newcomers, new stages and new music. The next Smash will always have the goal to be bigger, nothing else. The gameplay will not change and they're not going to reboot the franchise. And i'm perfectly fine with it.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. doesn't NEED any more new fighters.

Also, given what I know at this point in time, no one should pay over $40 for this game.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
FE elitist rant incoming (not really):

Chrom is a bad choice for smash ultimate, but not because there's too many FE reps.

1. He doesn't represent anything unique from the FE franchise. He's a blue haired swordsman (we have 3 of those), and he's from FE awakening, of which there's already 2 reps. I get that it's a popular and important game to FE, but then so is FE7, but that game is only represented by lyn, an AT.

2. He doesn't fit as Roy's echo. Roy is like 15 or something, it just feels weird. Chrom also manages to muddy the whole echo fighter concept by having Ike's up b. If chrom is an echo then why isn't Dr. Mario?

3. I'm worried he's going to block any FE newcomers for ultimate, especially now that there's "too many FE characters" according to Kotaku. The reveal of a new FE character, even as DLC will instantly be met with backlash, which is why they might opt to not to do it.

4. He isn't even that popular. In the first choose your legends, Lyn received more than double the amount of votes and he received less votes than hector, a far more unique lord. In the second one he even get's beaten out by Reinhardt of all people. I feel like the only reason he got in is because he said "i'll get my chance an other day" in that one trailer.

P.S. I want to clarify that I don't hate Chrom. I actually quite like him and he's my favorite of the awakening trio, but he shouldn't be in smash.

Sorry if this is too long.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What's Sakurai got against katanas?

Katana wielding Assist Trophies:
Gray Fox
Kat & Ana
Lyn
Samurai Goroh
Takamaru
Zero(a laser one)

Katana wielding playable characters:

What's with this discrimination!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
My most unpopular opinion is probably that Ryu is my least favorite character in the game. Not to say his moveset is bad, I just think that other representation could have been better. He’s already the star of an admittedly vastly different fighting game, and I feel that since smash is a fighting game bringing together characters who would otherwise not be able to be put into a fighting game roster.

Also Smash Tour isn’t that bad. If people took time to learn which items are most important and how to strategize correctly it could be a battle of wits on how to get the most resources and which opponent to weaken in preparation for one final battle.

D

Deleted member

I hate how for ultimate speculation people are talking about cuts for the next game, or how certain characters shouldn't have been characters. The point of ultimate os to celebrate every fighter ever, why you gotta b***h about the ones you specifically dont like/would cut... At all. Its a kill joy

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I feel as though some of Ultimate's newcomers like Chrom and K.Rool look a bit stiff in there animations.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
  • I don't care about any of the newomers so far (Aside from Inkling)
Funny enough, my unpopular opinion is the direct opposite:
- I really don't care for Inkling (although I can see that the inclusion is justified), but love all the other newcomers so far

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Idk how unpopular this is but Ganon is awful (probably my least favorite character to play as) and should never have been a Falcon. Ultimate needs to completely redo him

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Would you say that Scorpion is iconic enough to make into Smash? I know there's a problem with the gore (although, Bayonetta exist), but I feel like that could be toned down & that Sakurai could pull from other notable aspects of MK like having his taunts be things freindships & babilities).
Honestly no. If you look at the trend for 3rd parties, they're one of two things:
-genre or game history defining characters
-a character who a)won the ballot and b)has the majority of their games exclusive to, and funded by, Nintendo

The popularity levels of the 3rd parties transcend characters who are merely popular and well known - theres a billion of those. No, those who get in are so popular, basically, that they are formative parts of gaming history (PM, MM, Simon), Nintendo history (Sonic) or genre history (Cloud, Snake, Ryu). MK, although storied and yes, on Nintendo back in the day as a point of gaming history for the establishment of the ESRB, isn't quite as impactful or rich with rivalry as something like a Sonic, has their "fighting genre rep" slot already taken by Ryu, and isn't so old as to be a retro icon. It's not just a case of popular and well known - it's a case of being an icon that can go beyond the series it's from, and I just don't think MK is at that point.

This is why I say there are no more good third parties; I can't think of anything that gets to this very high threshold Sakurai has established. And yes, while it's possible that he cou,d just say "anything goes!", that has not at all been how it is up to this point, and part of the process of thinking about a roster is looking at trends and rules - if it's all random, it's all random.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Honestly no. If you look at the trend for 3rd parties, they're one of two things:
-genre or game history defining characters
-a character who a)won the ballot and b)has the majority of their games exclusive to, and funded by, Nintendo

The popularity levels of the 3rd parties transcend characters who are merely popular and well known - theres a billion of those. No, those who get in are so popular, basically, that they are formative parts of gaming history (PM, MM, Simon), Nintendo history (Sonic) or genre history (Cloud, Snake, Ryu). MK, although storied and yes, on Nintendo back in the day as a point of gaming history for the establishment of the ESRB, isn't quite as impactful or rich with rivalry as something like a Sonic, has their "fighting genre rep" slot already taken by Ryu, and isn't so old as to be a retro icon. It's not just a case of popular and well known - it's a case of being an icon that can go beyond the series it's from, and I just don't think MK is at that point.

This is why I say there are no more good third parties; I can't think of anything that gets to this very high threshold Sakurai has established. And yes, while it's possible that he cou,d just say "anything goes!", that has not at all been how it is up to this point, and part of the process of thinking about a roster is looking at trends and rules - if it's all random, it's all random.
Bayonetta

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Who is the second category I mentioned. Until a game series becomes a pseudo Nintendo IP with the majority of their games exclusive to and funded by Nintendo, and their character wins a popularity ballot, then I'll be referring to the "iconic" rules that Sakurai seems to be utilizing. I didn't expand on how MK isn't that same situation because it is obviously not the case for that series.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Idk how unpopular this is but Ganon is awful (probably my least favorite character to play as) and should never have been a Falcon. Ultimate needs to completely redo him
Don't think there's anything unpopular about that. Sadly, we've already seen this isn't the case.

But Ganondorf should ABSOLUTELY have a new, completely decloned moveset. And then Black Shadow should be added with Ganondorf's old moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom