• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
People need to stop citing Sakurai when arguing whether or not a character should get in Smash because if you look at the roster you can find him contradicting himself at least once.

May as well give this a shot:

-Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario should NOT be demoted to alts. Either they're in or they're not.
-I can't belive there's still a debate about cutting any of the Original 12
-Bowser Jr is less likely to get cut than Rosalina should the Mario universe be getting cut down
-All the 3rd parties added were amazing and well deserving (even Bayonetta. To an extent.)
-Mario does not need an overhaul, or even to have Cappy added to his moveset.
-Ganondorf is fine the way he is.
-Out of all the Original 12, Donkey Kong's moveset is the most fitting
-Mario is fine with no newcomers
-Waluigi should join as a Wario character (and the fact he hasn't been added yet is criminal)

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, I'm fine with Donkey Kong's current voice. (Bowser needs to change, tho, agree with most people on that)

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

-Lucina, Dark Pit, and Mario should NOT be demoted to alts. Either they're in or they're not.
-Bowser Jr is less likely to get cut than Rosalina should the Mario universe be getting cut down
-All the 3rd parties added were amazing and well deserving (even Bayonetta. To an extent.)
-Waluigi should represent the Wario series (and the fact he hasn't been added yet is criminal)
Wow, I actually can tolerate, if not completely agree with every one of these, that's awesome!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

-Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario should NOT be demoted to alts. Either they're in or they're not.
-Waluigi should represent the Wario series (and the fact he hasn't been added yet is criminal)
Only ones I can disagree on is:rosalina:/:4bowserjr:being cut before:4drmario:would get demoted to an alt or cut and the Mario series not getting Captain Toad at the least (the Cappy part is a 50/50 split). The rest is completely agreeable

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Ridley is NOT too big for Smash, I don't care what anyone says. There have been countless mods that have made Ridley work beautifully as a fighter, so I'm certain Sakurai can do it as well. Plus, he's arguably the most wanted first party Nintendo character with this point along side King K. Rool. In fact, I've never played a Metroid game in my life, and I would flip out if he made it in. This just shows ho popular he is and how deserving he is for a character slot.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I don't think certain characters being picked as "flavor of the month" characters is necessarily a bad thing, especially in the case of Pokémon, Fire Emblem and (potentially) Xenoblade, as long the character is cool. Smash IS a really effective marketing tool for Nintendo after all

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sakurai is the greatest enemy of competitive smash, and he must therefore be removed from power.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Ridley will always be too big for smash. All of the mods that make him a fighter still look too big.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
-I support Snivy, Bayleef, or Sceptile as a newcomer not to fill a grass starter quota, but because I like them. I'd trade both Charizard and Greninja for any of them.

-I think that Lusamine riding in Nihelgo would be the most exciting Sun/Moon rep possible.

-Tetra is still my top pick for a Zelda newcomer.

-Susie is my top pick for a new Kirby character, closely followed by Gooey. I dislike Bandana Dee both in the Kirby series and as a newcomer.

-I think Yoshi and Wario need more love. Wario should get Ashley, no question. For Yoshi, I'm split between Stork using babies as weaponry and Spirit of Speed for surprise factor.

-I think that Lip should become a supporting character in the Yoshi series so she can enter Smash under the Yoshi banner.

-Shantae and Jill from Drill Dozer are my absolute top picks for Smash.

-I dislike Roy to an irrational degree. If I cut anyone, it would be him.

-I want Gandrayda as a newcomer since she could shapeshift between all of the one-off Metroid characters and become Ridley as a Final Smash.

-Tora & Poppi are my top pick for Xenoblade, and Dr. Coyle is who I want from ARMs. Poppi is my favorite Nintendo character in a while and it would be a fun twist to get the villain of ARMs in first.

-I think that Rogueport and Space Colony A.R.K. should be stages. They would be great shout-outs to my favorite Mario and Sonic games of all time.

-I think that Midgar should add the Death Metal Chocobo theme from 13-2 just for laughs.

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
-I think Yoshi and Wario need more love. Wario should get Ashley, no question. For Yoshi, I'm split between Stork using babies as weaponry and Spirit of Speed for surprise factor.

-Shantae and Jill from Drill Dozer are my absolute top picks for Smash.

-I dislike Roy to an irrational degree. If I cut anyone, it would be him.
Yes, yes and yes.
I'd love Waluigi and Ashley in Smash, but my top is Shantae.
Also Kamek, to a lesser degree.

I think Smash should get rid of most Transformation Final Smashes. Almost 1/3 of all Smash 4 characters have one, and they're usually boring to play, too long and overall not funny in the casual setting they're meant for.
If not deleting them, at least reworking them into something more pleasant. I'd say the only transformation Final Smashes that make sense are Bowser's, Wario's and Pacman's.

What happened to Global Final Smashes? You know, the one that afflicts the stages? You could say that Smash 4 introduced a couple of them (Rosalina's and Jr.'s) and kept the most famous (Peach's and Jigglypuff's), but also removed a good chunk of them (Ice Climber's, Luigi's, Pit's and Dedede's).
In general, I'd like more interesting and varied Final Smashes.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I ****ing hate the rocket trails that shoot off characters when they get hit in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Yes, yes and yes.
I'd love Waluigi and Ashley in Smash, but my top is Shantae.
Also Kamek, to a lesser degree.

I think Smash should get rid of most Transformation Final Smashes. Almost 1/3 of all Smash 4 characters have one, and they're usually boring to play, too long and overall not funny in the casual setting they're meant for.
If not deleting them, at least reworking them into something more pleasant. I'd say the only transformation Final Smashes that make sense are Bowser's, Wario's and Pacman's.

What happened to Global Final Smashes? You know, the one that afflicts the stages? You could say that Smash 4 introduced a couple of them (Rosalina's and Jr.'s) and kept the most famous (Peach's and Jigglypuff's), but also removed a good chunk of them (Ice Climber's, Luigi's, Pit's and Dedede's).
In general, I'd like more interesting and varied Final Smashes.
I don't know what to say Luigi's

But the New Pit one is such a mix of different kinds of FS, it's automatict, has an objective, but also does global attacks (specially the last one)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It seems to be an unpopular opinion around here, so:

It is not a Smash 5 until it is confirmed to be a Smash 5. It might as well be, but with the short development time (assuming the 2018 release isn't a bluff), it is more likely to be an upgraded, final version of Smash 4. Super Smash Bros. for Switch, if you will.

And more:

Why is it so important to be a Smash 5? We are getting new reps, and with new reps come new stages and music. That is all that matters. It makes no sense to be how some people here are so against a final version of Smash 4. Smash 4 looks great and it will look even better on Switch, if it is an upgraded version. Again, we are getting new content AND if it is is a "Smash 4 Deluxe", we are getting the Smash 3DS exclusive content with better graphics, which is great.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Criticism is not allowed in this thread.

It is not a Smash 5 until it is confirmed to be a Smash 5. It might as well be, but with the short development time (assuming the 2018 release isn't a bluff), it is more likely to be an upgraded, final version of Smash 4. Super Smash Bros. for Switch, if you will.

And more:

Why is it so important to be a Smash 5? We are getting new reps, and with new reps come new stages and music. That is all that matters. It makes no sense to be how some people here are so against a final version of Smash 4. Smash 4 looks great and it will look even better on Switch, if it is an upgraded version. Again, we are getting new content AND if it is is a "Smash 4 Deluxe", we are getting the Smash 3DS exclusive content with better graphics, which is great.
I don't know why you people are still clinging on to this idea that this is a port, especially since all the other Switch port announcements have explicitly stated that they're ports. It's been mentioned over and over by Nintendo themselves in their marketing that this is a new Smash game.

D

Deleted member

I really don't want to see Waluigi or Paper Mario in Smash 5. I know there quiet popular choices for a new character, but the Mario series is fine as is and doesn't need any new characters (other then Toad).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Criticism is not allowed in this thread.

And more:

It's been in development for 2 years, that isn't short for a smash game by any means

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have a strong hunch that most of the people constantly complaining about Fire Emblem characters would be better off just playing thru any one of the games before reserving judgment.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, I think I'd prefer if it were a definitive release of Smash 4. It would mean no time would need be spent on a new engine or rebuilding the characters and stages that were in Smash 4 from the ground up, not to mention most of the core game modes would already be there, leaving the devs plenty of time to alleviate the problems Smash 4 had (horrible maze of a menu, god awful singleplayer, Omega stages rather than a simple stage hazard toggle, etc.) as well as add new characters and modes, like, say, an all-new Story Mode? (Not to mention, Smash Run on a console. Yes, please.) With a new release, however, even if they reuse some assets from Smash 4, it's unlikely that most of the cool modes that were axed will be coming back, and Smash 4 will forever remain in its fundamentally flawed state. What a shame.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
L Canceling is one of the worst mechanics I've ever come across. It only exists as an tech-skill gatekeeper.

Wavedashing is A-OK though.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got quite a few unpopular opinions, technically some of them are about Sm4sh but they're opinions that carry over to the Switch game as well.

1. I disagree with characters getting in for advertisement purposes. Roy in Melee (and by extension in Sm4sh since he only got in due to being in Melee) and Corrin in Sm4sh and to an extent, Greninja as well. This series sells itself on being a crossover made up of all stars and while the definition differs from person to person, I think everybody can agree that a character who's main game hasn't even been released yet can't possibly be an all star, at least at that time. Roy's the least offensive in this regard since he was a simple clone who took little time to make while Corrin was the most. It costed additionally money to get him when they could've easily added another character that did well in the ballot. The issue with this is what if the character or the game they're from does poorly? Like, imagine if Melee or Brawl came out in 2006 and Nintendo and SEGA agreed to put Silver into the game to help advertise Sonic 06? In hindsight, he'd look really out of place, being a character from a dumpster fire of a game next to much more notable and successful characters. Heck, Corrin himself isn't received well in Fates (well, the female is received better but I honestly believe that's just due to waifu status). Nintendo has also shown the ability to restrain themselves by not adding Olimar to Melee or Inklings to Sm4sh. Seriously hoping we don't get a gen 8 Pokemon or someone from FE16.

2. Branching off of the last point, I agree with the notion that there's too many sword fighters but specifically just for Fire Emblem. The series also has axes, lances, bow and arrows, knives, at least 5 different types of magic and characters who can turn into creatures such as dragons, giant cats, tigers, lions, hawks, ravens, herons, rabbits and potentially more that I've either forgotten or don't know about. Robin and Corrin were a step in the right direction with the former using magic and the latter turning into a dragon but they both still use swords. And the counter argument that there's too many fist fighters is a poor one imo since there's simply more options with ones body than there is with swords. Punches, slaps, elbows, shoulder tackles, headbutts, karate chops, various types of kicks, kneeing, scratching, full on body slams, spins, licking for certain characters, biting, tail swings for certain characters. Compare that to swords which mostly just have vertical swings upwards or downwards, horizontal swings which matter even less since they go into the foreground or background and stabs. Visually, there's a lot less to distinguish sword users from one another in general. And I get that many FE lords use swords but not all of them. Epharim, Hector, Micaiah and Azura are all important to their games and don't make use of swords at all and 2 of them were recent around the time FE got was already in Smash. For a series that has so much to offer, it shows very little. Compare it to Pokemon which also has 6 fighters in Sm4sh but they all use different means of attacking and have different weights and body heights.

3. Recoveries should be nerfed across the board in some fashion compared to Sm4sh. Make the borders further from the stage, make airspeeds not as good, make air dodges not last as long or be more punishable, make up specials not go as far or on the more offensive point of view, make more moves send at a downward angle that can actually be feasibly landed. They already added ledge trumping which is totally fine but they didn't need to buff recoveries so much as well. It makes going offstage to edgeguard often not worth it, especially since if they recover low, fairs usually won't hit, uairs won't hit or help, dairs are mostly slow and have small sweetspots and bairs can be teched since they'll hit the stage.

4. They should add more movement options. L cancelling is indeed a poor mechanic but wavedashing is perfectly fine and with their tutorial videos and ingame tips, they could easily explain it to newbies. Wavedashing would also fix my issue with air dodges being too good and they can even make it so you're not helpless after an air dodge. Just make it so you can't air dodge again but you can still use aerials and specials. If not wavedashing then something else like air dashes.

5. They should spend more time buffing low tiers than nerfing top tiers with patches. With Sm4sh, the most their buffs did was make Mewtwo and Marth viable while the most their nerfs did was take Luigi, Meta Knight and Greninja out of top tier. The rest of the top tiers and low tiers largely stayed the same despite the numerous nerfs to the former. DLC didn't help. Also, they shouldn't nerf low tiers like they did with King Dedede, Little Mac, Charizard and possibly unintendedly Falco and Ganondorf.

6. DLC characters should never be the very best character in the game and I feel this way about any type of game that can be played competitively. The viability of Ryu, Corrin and post patch Mewtwo are fine. They're viable but have enough weaknesses that they're not the best option overall, just an additional good option. Meanwhile, Bayonetta is so good even after nerfs that she's often said to have no losing match ups or at most like 1 or 2 and they're debatable and Cloud is so good that he over runs an entire meta of the game (doubles). This creates literal pay to win scenarios and it doesn't help that Cloud specifically is so ridiculously easy to use.

7. Clones are fine but they should be more like Melee clones than what we got in Sm4sh. :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: all play rather differently from the character they're based on compared to :4darkpit::4lucina:. Funny enough, Doc does a better job being different from Mario in Sm4sh than he does in Melee since Mario got a slight moveset change in Brawl and they altered Doc's physics like his run speed and jump height. It may result in fewer overall characters but I'd much rather 1 or 2 characters that feel completely different than a bunch more that only have a move or two to make themselves stand out compared to who they're based on. And if they really want to add a bunch of different characters in a small amount of time, they can just make more alts as that literally takes less time than making low effort clones.

8. I'd rather a more refined and balance focused game than one with more newcomers. The series already has a high amount of playable characters and most of the 'must haves' are already in and I've already said my piece on advertisements. Less time on newcomers means more time on balancing, bug fixing, adding extra modes that people actually care about, adding items, stages, music, making a better online service etc.

I probably have more that I can't think of but this post is long enough.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Got quite a few unpopular opinions, technically some of them are about Sm4sh but they're opinions that carry over to the Switch game as well.

1. I disagree with characters getting in for advertisement purposes. Roy in Melee (and by extension in Sm4sh since he only got in due to being in Melee) and Corrin in Sm4sh and to an extent, Greninja as well. This series sells itself on being a crossover made up of all stars and while the definition differs from person to person, I think everybody can agree that a character who's main game hasn't even been released yet can't possibly be an all star, at least at that time. Roy's the least offensive in this regard since he was a simple clone who took little time to make while Corrin was the most. It costed additionally money to get him when they could've easily added another character that did well in the ballot. The issue with this is what if the character or the game they're from does poorly? Like, imagine if Melee or Brawl came out in 2006 and Nintendo and SEGA agreed to put Silver into the game to help advertise Sonic 06? In hindsight, he'd look really out of place, being a character from a dumpster fire of a game next to much more notable and successful characters. Heck, Corrin himself isn't received well in Fates (well, the female is received better but I honestly believe that's just due to waifu status). Nintendo has also shown the ability to restrain themselves by not adding Olimar to Melee or Inklings to Sm4sh. Seriously hoping we don't get a gen 8 Pokemon or someone from FE16.

2. Branching off of the last point, I agree with the notion that there's too many sword fighters but specifically just for Fire Emblem. The series also has axes, lances, bow and arrows, knives, at least 5 different types of magic and characters who can turn into creatures such as dragons, giant cats, tigers, lions, hawks, ravens, herons, rabbits and potentially more that I've either forgotten or don't know about. Robin and Corrin were a step in the right direction with the former using magic and the latter turning into a dragon but they both still use swords. And the counter argument that there's too many fist fighters is a poor one imo since there's simply more options with ones body than there is with swords. Punches, slaps, elbows, shoulder tackles, headbutts, karate chops, various types of kicks, kneeing, scratching, full on body slams, spins, licking for certain characters, biting, tail swings for certain characters. Compare that to swords which mostly just have vertical swings upwards or downwards, horizontal swings which matter even less since they go into the foreground or background and stabs. Visually, there's a lot less to distinguish sword users from one another in general. And I get that many FE lords use swords but not all of them. Epharim, Hector, Micaiah and Azura are all important to their games and don't make use of swords at all and 2 of them were recent around the time FE got was already in Smash. For a series that has so much to offer, it shows very little. Compare it to Pokemon which also has 6 fighters in Sm4sh but they all use different means of attacking and have different weights and body heights.

3. Recoveries should be nerfed across the board in some fashion compared to Sm4sh. Make the borders further from the stage, make airspeeds not as good, make air dodges not last as long or be more punishable, make up specials not go as far or on the more offensive point of view, make more moves send at a downward angle that can actually be feasibly landed. They already added ledge trumping which is totally fine but they didn't need to buff recoveries so much as well. It makes going offstage to edgeguard often not worth it, especially since if they recover low, fairs usually won't hit, uairs won't hit or help, dairs are mostly slow and have small sweetspots and bairs can be teched since they'll hit the stage.

4. They should add more movement options. L cancelling is indeed a poor mechanic but wavedashing is perfectly fine and with their tutorial videos and ingame tips, they could easily explain it to newbies. Wavedashing would also fix my issue with air dodges being too good and they can even make it so you're not helpless after an air dodge. Just make it so you can't air dodge again but you can still use aerials and specials. If not wavedashing then something else like air dashes.

5. They should spend more time buffing low tiers than nerfing top tiers with patches. With Sm4sh, the most their buffs did was make Mewtwo and Marth viable while the most their nerfs did was take Luigi, Meta Knight and Greninja out of top tier. The rest of the top tiers and low tiers largely stayed the same despite the numerous nerfs to the former. DLC didn't help. Also, they shouldn't nerf low tiers like they did with King Dedede, Little Mac, Charizard and possibly unintendedly Falco and Ganondorf.

6. DLC characters should never be the very best character in the game and I feel this way about any type of game that can be played competitively. The viability of Ryu, Corrin and post patch Mewtwo are fine. They're viable but have enough weaknesses that they're not the best option overall, just an additional good option. Meanwhile, Bayonetta is so good even after nerfs that she's often said to have no losing match ups or at most like 1 or 2 and they're debatable and Cloud is so good that he over runs an entire meta of the game (doubles). This creates literal pay to win scenarios and it doesn't help that Cloud specifically is so ridiculously easy to use.

7. Clones are fine but they should be more like Melee clones than what we got in Sm4sh. :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: all play rather differently from the character they're based on compared to :4darkpit::4lucina:. Funny enough, Doc does a better job being different from Mario in Sm4sh than he does in Melee since Mario got a slight moveset change in Brawl and they altered Doc's physics like his run speed and jump height. It may result in fewer overall characters but I'd much rather 1 or 2 characters that feel completely different than a bunch more that only have a move or two to make themselves stand out compared to who they're based on. And if they really want to add a bunch of different characters in a small amount of time, they can just make more alts as that literally takes less time than making low effort clones.

8. I'd rather a more refined and balance focused game than one with more newcomers. The series already has a high amount of playable characters and most of the 'must haves' are already in and I've already said my piece on advertisements. Less time on newcomers means more time on balancing, bug fixing, adding extra modes that people actually care about, adding items, stages, music, making a better online service etc.

I probably have more that I can't think of but this post is long enough.
Hoenstly, these are pretty reasonable. When everyone here has their own twisted agenda for Smash, I guess everything is fair game here.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Hoenstly, these are pretty reasonable. When everyone here has their own twisted agenda for Smash, I guess everything is fair game here.
Too often have I seen people being fine with any character being added in 'as long as they're fun' and people arguing that the amount of sword users is fine (in all fairness, it is but it specifically does FE a disservice at showing what the series has to offer). I've also seen people say that Sm4sh plays perfectly fine and that things like wavedashing shouldn't be added and that the balancing was fine. Clones is really just a hit or miss for some people but I don't see people get into the nitty gritty like how Dark Pit and Lucina are very lazy clones compared to say Falco who plays completely differently from Fox despite sharing animations with him. My last point seems to be the most unpopular since all people seem to care about when it comes to Smash is who's playable in it rather than how the game actually plays. Only in hindsight do people like to criticize how the game plays (look at Brawl for a perfect example).

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think Ashley is one of the more likely newcomers for this game.

Fight me (wait, you can't. I made the rules hahaha)
Finally, someone who gets it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In my opinion, the Original 12 are not safe from being cut. Ness was almost cut from Melee and Jigglypuff barely made it into Brawl.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In my opinion, the Original 12 are not safe from being cut. Ness was almost cut from Melee and Jigglypuff barely made it into Brawl.
Maybe it makes more sense to say original 8 are safe from cuts.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Maybe it makes more sense to say original 8 are safe from cuts.
Yeah. Luigi is also safe considering how important he is to the Mario series. Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff are now obscure and are low priority compared to other characters. They may be taken out, I don't know.

YourName

Smash Rookie
New to this so not sure if this is how i reply to post but my unpopular opinion is that a battle royale version of smash run (running around getting stats as the map/stage gets smaller & also fighting enemies) would be very fun

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Luigi is also safe considering how important he is to the Mario series. Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff are now obscure and are low priority compared to other characters. They may be taken out, I don't know.
Captain Falcon not in smash? That's never going to happen. That would be flat out insane. He's always going to live on in smash because he's so popular.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Unpopular opinion: Captain Falcon and other “Smash” characters aren’t actually popular.

And having people spam a character on for glory doesn’t mean anything for their popularity either.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but Rayman still has a much better chance than rabbids for being in smash. It's like the situation with cloud. His series as a whole has had a huge association with Nintendo, and despite cloud himself not being on Nintendo much, he was still the most requested final fantasy character and seen as an icon for the series. Same thing with Rayman, all his games have had an association with Nintendo, and while the rabbids had a crossover with Mario, Rayman is still the most requested Ubisoft rep.

D

Deleted member

I love Dark Pit and I reeaaally want Ivysaur to return!

D

Deleted member

Loving Edgy Slightly-Inferior Pit isn’t unpopular
Really? Seems like everyone hates him because he's a clone and they don't want him to return. And by 'everyone' I mean a lot of people. Which makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom