• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I believe joke characters (in the "intentionally bad" definition) only really work when they're a clone of a deliberately better character so that you're not wasting a unique concept that way. Dan works since he's just another shoto like Ryu and Ken. Melee Pichu works since it's literally baby Pikachu (I admit that I find Ultimate trying to revamp it to be viable is rather baffling).

So would Glass Joe just be Little Mac but with weaker hits? I'd say give Little Mac at least passable aerial and recovery game, then we'll talk.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have severe doubts that Nintendo and/or Sakrurai would be interested in a non-viable joke character in Smash given their philosophy about the last few games. Even the rushed nature of Melee makes knowing just how intentional Pichu's lousy status actually was somewhat tricky. Given the sheer amount of work involved to create fighters, I can't blame anyone who looks at the idea of making nonviable characters as a bit odd.

Laniv

Smash Lord
I believe joke characters (in the "intentionally bad" definition) only really work when they're a clone of a deliberately better character so that you're not wasting a unique concept that way. Dan works since he's just another shoto like Ryu and Ken. Melee Pichu works since it's literally baby Pikachu (I admit that I find Ultimate trying to revamp it to be viable is rather baffling).

So would Glass Joe just be Little Mac but with weaker hits? I'd say give Little Mac at least passable aerial and recovery game, then we'll talk.
Precisely. He'd be a Mac clone, inferior in pretty much every way, except Joe would have a decent-ish recovery. Because it's funny. :4pacman:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Precisely. He'd be a Mac clone, inferior in pretty much every way, except Joe would have a decent-ish recovery. Because it's funny. :4pacman:
That would be in line with his Wii version incarnation who's established to never give up despite his weakness, so it works.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Crash Bandicoot is one of my favourite game series of all time, in fact it could be my favourite game series of all time total, but Crash would be an utterly lame Smash fighter, especially with current Smash's obsession with canon powers and references - that damn bazooka doesn't even fit Crash's playstyle in the source material, what makes you think it'd work in Smash?

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Crash Bandicoot is one of my favourite game series of all time, in fact it could be my favourite game series of all time total, but Crash would be an utterly lame Smash fighter, especially with current Smash's obsession with canon powers and references - that damn bazooka doesn't even fit Crash's playstyle in the source material, what makes you think it'd work in Smash?
Well, they don't have to put the bazooka in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I disagree. While Crash may seem like an extremely privileged request, you really can't predict or imagine what Sakurai has up his sleeve. The bazooka could easily go largely ignored like Ridley's pogo tail.

Also the Crash for Smash is one of the greatest puns. Crash just genuinely makes sense for Smash.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You can just make the bazooka either a forward Smash or up Smash.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
All this talk reminds be that I have yet to play Crash Bandicoot 3 on the N.Sane Trilogy. (Already "completed" the first two à 102% and 100% respectively.)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't get why people think Smash making a proper turn to "celebration of gaming history" with minimal 1st party content would immediately mean no weird/niche/obscure picks. A lot of the most important games ever made have fallen under the radar and lack any kind of active fandom (pretty much anything from the 70s, a lot of non-Japanese/American regional-exclusives, early games by influential developers, so on), and a lot of the most popular games ever would require a lot of creative legwork for Smash (The Sims. Tetris, racing or sports game of choice, so on), you can absolutely have a high bar for celebrating gaming history while still digging up some weirdo picks. Whether Nintendo would shoot for the Miner Willies and John Maddens in this scenario is another story though,

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The more I learn about the early years of the video game industry, the more I find myself lamenting that certain companies from the era aren't represented in Smash. While games from the Magnovox Odyssey and Fairchild Channel F might be tricky to really embody in the game given just how simplistic they are, Atari definitely feels like it has enough various titles to be spotlighted. It wouldn't even have to be just releases from the VCS, the different arcade series that it developed could be nicely included via stages or assist trophies with the right idea. While I know its not likely for many reasons as many first party Atari games weren't really on Nintendo arcade machines or home consoles that much (though the Switch release of Atari 50 has technically changed that) and Japan doesn't have the same connection/history with the company like North America does, it would be nice to see one day.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The more I learn about the early years of the video game industry, the more I find myself lamenting that certain companies from the era aren't represented in Smash. While games from the Magnovox Odyssey and Fairchild Channel F might be tricky to really embody in the game given just how simplistic they are, Atari definitely feels like it has enough various titles to be spotlighted. It wouldn't even have to be just releases from the VCS, the different arcade series that it developed could be nicely included via stages or assist trophies with the right idea. While I know its not likely for many reasons as first party Atari games weren't really on Nintendo arcade machines or home consoles (though the Switch release of Atari 50 has technically changed that) and Japan doesn't have the same connection/history with the company like North America does, it would be nice to see one day.
Most of my biggest Smash wants RN are history picks like this - I'd love to see the UK microcomputer scene represented, I'm not a patriotic guy but something about the micros is so special to me for their unique connection to my home country. Even as someone who's greatly against more Rare content in Smash, I wouldn't mind some Ultimate Play the Game representation (even if I'd prefer Miner Willy or Monty Mole)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Most of my biggest Smash wants RN are history picks like this - I'd love to see the UK microcomputer scene represented, I'm not a patriotic guy but something about the micros is so special to me for their unique connection to my home country. Even as someone who's greatly against more Rare content in Smash, I wouldn't mind some Ultimate Play the Game representation (even if I'd prefer Miner Willy or Monty Mole)
The 80s gaming computer scene is another one where's so much history that deserves a few shout outs. We got Fast Food on Switch, so why not have a Dizzy spirit if just as a nod to that particular series' history?

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
The 80s gaming computer scene is another one where's so much history that deserves a few shout outs. We got Fast Food on Switch, so why not have a Dizzy spirit if just as a nod to that particular series' history?
I think it would be cool if they added Guybrush from the Monkey Island series, because point-and-click adventure games don't have any representation in smash. But it would probably never happen.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The more I learn about the early years of the video game industry, the more I find myself lamenting that certain companies from the era aren't represented in Smash. While games from the Magnovox Odyssey and Fairchild Channel F might be tricky to really embody in the game given just how simplistic they are, Atari definitely feels like it has enough various titles to be spotlighted. It wouldn't even have to be just releases from the VCS, the different arcade series that it developed could be nicely included via stages or assist trophies with the right idea. While I know its not likely for many reasons as many first party Atari games weren't really on Nintendo arcade machines or home consoles that much (though the Switch release of Atari 50 has technically changed that) and Japan doesn't have the same connection/history with the company like North America does, it would be nice to see one day.
Heck, there are plenty of franchises from the 3rd party companies represented in base Ultimate that don’t at least have music or Spirits.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I've seen this opinion once before, but I haven't seen it more than once, so I'm just gonna add on to it. DK with an intellectual voice actor would be ok, but would get old quicker than Bowser. King K. Rool would be an absolute funner character with intellectual dialogue while DK works perfectly fine as elusive.

King K. Rool is a character that actually DESERVE to have intellectual dialogue while DK or Dedede should DEFINITELY not unless done brilliantly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seth Rogen as DK voice actor next Smash then?

This one is BOUND TO BE unpopular 😂

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ganondorf is the bottom of the barrel for Zelda. Ganondorf doesn't seem to.. exist inside of Smash that Smash makes him redundant. I feel like he's more significant outside of Smash and slightly off. Skull Kid, Ghirahim and even Vaati would've left by far better impressions. Its painfully unfortunate.

Ganondorf is a case that should've been passed over. He's needless.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Ganondorf is the bottom of the barrel for Zelda. Ganondorf doesn't seem to.. exist inside of Smash that Smash makes him redundant. I feel like he's more significant outside of Smash and slightly off. Skull Kid, Ghirahim and even Vaati would've left by far better impressions. Its painfully unfortunate.

No offence but I genuinely can’t tell a single thing you’re trying to say in this sentence

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend

IMG_0646.jpeg

Sorry to be harsh but to call Ganondorf bottom of the barrel is simply ignorance. I know Smash hasn’t handled him the best but why would you want to pass over one of Nintendo’s most iconic villains?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure, it was mostly the pig that was popular(but Ganondorf was no less popular as hell too), but both combined are very iconic overall for their own reasons.

So I don't legitimately get where there's any kind of truth to this? How can he be bottom of the barrel? Remember, unpopular opinions still have overall logic to it. I don't get the logic here. You're not a fan of how he's used, or think that his Pig form is way more iconic? Fair enough. But he's still a rather huge Nintendo character(sometimes literally) anyway. I could understand if you meant someone much smaller, like say a very minor enemy in, I dunno... what's a super obscure NIntendo-owned series? XD Cause that's actual bottom of the barrel. They have to be super minor as a character overall. Usually minor enemies can do this... if they're not fairly iconic(hence, a Goomba cannot apply here because it's actually something of a rather big pick for people. Just like PP is. It gets attention).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd actually argue that Ganondorf appearing as he did in OoT allowed to become a breakthrough character even more than his pig form did, and (however one feels about his core form as a Falcon clone) Melee pretty much had to include him given how significant Ocarina was to LoZ overall. Given how frequently Ganondorf's reappeared (to the point where Tears of the Kingdom is being partially marketed on that form returning) it is a decision that aged well.

UserKev

Smash Champion
View attachment 371236
Sorry to be harsh but to call Ganondorf bottom of the barrel is simply ignorance. I know Smash hasn’t handled him the best but why would you want to pass over one of Nintendo’s most iconic villains?
Guess Ganondorf isn't significant outside of Smash then. He doesn't translate to Smash well. And him being a villain makes it convincingly obvious. That's my opinion anyway.
ah yes one of the most iconic villains in video game history, with multiple iconic appearances throughout his series

what a bottom of the barrel pick, truly he should have never been in the game
He's definitely iconic to Zelda. You might make a case for his recurring status in Zelda, but you won't convince me he's a necessity for Smash.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Guess Ganondorf isn't significant outside of Smash then. He doesn't translate to Smash well. And him being a villain makes it convincingly obvious. That's my opinion anyway.
I never said he wasn’t significant outside of Smash. I already called him one of Nintendo’s most iconic villains in that post.

UserKev

Smash Champion
A bit braggy, but I'm gonna go ahead and blurt that Sonic has officially worn out his welcome. And I'm very intrigued by a Smash without him. The same can be said for basically every current third party. Otherwise any new Smash is a repeat of the previous. If Smash is going to continue third party support, we need NEW third party that will truly usher in a new wave and era.

Regardless of how iconic they are, they HAD their turn to shine. And now its over. Smash shouldn't be obliged to keep any of them because it kills authenticity. I just really want Smash to go forward now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A bit braggy, but I'm gonna go ahead and blurt that Sonic has officially worn out his welcome. And I'm very intrigued by a Smash without him. The same can be said for basically every current third party. Otherwise any new Smash is a repeat of the previous. If Smash is going to continue third party support, we need NEW third party that will truly usher in a new wave and era.

Regardless of how iconic they are, they HAD their turn to shine. And now its over. Smash shouldn't be obliged to keep any of them because it kills authenticity. I just really want Smash to go forward now.
I’m not seeing the brag

UserKev

Smash Champion
Similarly to what I mentioned in my previous post, Zelda is not a fun character. She doesn't bring anything actually memorable. Smash would be fine in her absence. And I'm def holding this opinion in my neutral theory. Zelda is neutral to Smash, NO ONE would remember if absent.
  • Lucas doesn't need to be in anymore Smash instalments.
  • Palutena is fan service-y and needs to go. This argument cannot be made for Peach or Samus.
  • Luigi's poltergust grab is bland and decreased his appeal and a reminder that not every character needs to go out of their way for uniqueness. Kinda like Mario's FLUDD Mario would be so much better without.
  • A Smash reboot needs a serious roster clean up if we want anything remotely clever again.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Warning Issued

Similarly to what I mentioned in my previous post, Zelda is not a fun character. She doesn't bring anything actually memorable. Smash would be fine in her absence. And I'm def holding this opinion in my neutral theory. Zelda is neutral to Smash, NO ONE would remember if absent.
  • Lucas doesn't need to be in anymore Smash instalments.
  • Palutena is fan service-y and needs to go. This argument cannot be made for Peach or Samus.
  • Luigi's poltergust grab is bland and decreased his appeal and a reminder that not every character needs to go out of their way for uniqueness. Kinda like Mario's FLUDD Mario would be so much better without.
  • A Smash reboot needs a serious roster clean up if we want anything remotely clever again.
Okay, do you actually like Smash, or do you just say this for the sake of drama? Even by unpopular opinion standards, this just makes me want to puke.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Okay, do you actually like Smash, or do you just say this for the sake of drama? Even by unpopular opinion standards, this just makes me want to puke.
You need to take a chill pill, dude. No one is being dramatic. Its you. It just mean you have poor understanding of my posts, which I clearly wrote while calm. You clearly made this topic for said topic to peak again, which is long passed its heyday. By Smash being so popular, there isn't really anymore unpopular opinions. Most of the previous posts are re-sayings or already been said in similar topics. Just be humble and let me write what floats my mind. Thank you.

Top Bottom