• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Does the animal crossing world have its own name for the smashville and town/city prefixes?

It may be a bit off but I could see pictochat having 'nintendo DS' as it's prefix, a bit like how flat zone had game and watch.
Well you had covered them so I didn’t bring them up

Aligo

Smash Ace
Electroplankton and Minecraft world would also have issues I think. The prefix idea could work for the Minecraft stage if it were renamed to overworld so the prefix could be Minecraft world.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Electroplankton and Minecraft world would also have issues I think. The prefix idea could work for the Minecraft stage if it were renamed to overworld so the prefix could be Minecraft world.
Electroplankton I was unsure about and I mentioned minecraft

Actually now that I think of it hollow bastion could have the prefix realm of light. Or is it the real between

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
Electroplankton I was unsure about and I mentioned minecraft

Actually now that I think of it hollow bastion could have the prefix realm of light. Or is it the real between
Sorry, my bad. Has balloon fight been mentioned yet?

Baysha

Smash Ace
Why can't you just have a prefix for all of the stages that could work for it while the stages where it doesn't work just don't have one? It's not like it's all-or-nothing. And I don't think it'd be that jarring if a handful of stages were left prefixless.

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
Why can't you just have a prefix for all of the stages that could work for it while the stages where it doesn't work just don't have one? It's not like it's all-or-nothing. And I don't think it'd be that jarring if a handful of stages were left prefixless.
It was already the case in Melee, with Mushroom Kingdom and Mushroom Kingdom II. This is definitly something possible.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I honestly feel being boss'd is the worst fate for a potential Smash character, especially in Ultimate which doesn't even have a boss battles mode, since they don't even get to appear in battles like an AT, but have way more (IMO, needless) work put into them than a Spirit or Trophy, but then again, that could just be my general bias against Smash story modes (and single player modes in multiplayer games in general) speaking

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Maybe not an actual unpopular opinion, but creating your own roster isn't fun anymore. I feel like its actually extremely complicated when you have to take into account realism, flavors of the year picks, most popular mascots within specific countries, etc. Pokemon promoting is one of the least enjoyable to sort that spans across many generations. And Fire Emblem representation just make you eagerly want to cherry pick nearly every last one of them off the chopping block. Its all just one big chore.

I know the purpose of a 100% bias roster is to have it your way, but something always is telling me "No, don't do this! Do that." because you want it to still look believable and official, which added to the charm.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Actual popular opinion that's often discouraged because of the exact reasons of the above post: Fire Emblem and Pokemon would profit from just choosing the timeless more popular characters, as say Lyn and Garchomp over whatever is new.
I... kinda disagree with this, as I somewhat enjoy seeing the new faces of Pokémon and Fire Emblem pop up in new Smash entries. it makes the game more "current" to me. I helps me contextualize that Smash entry in its timeframe, so to speak

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant is a really good standard character pick, but a pitiful excuse for a "joke pick". Characters like that - well known but a little quirky and not often requested if at all - should be the norm, not the exception. It's also kinda sad it took this long for Smash to get a (non-Pokémon) mook.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Actual popular opinion that's often discouraged because of the exact reasons of the above post: Fire Emblem and Pokemon would profit from just choosing the timeless more popular characters, as say Lyn and Garchomp over whatever is new.
I feel this is the best option. Actually I'm intrigued by what a possible hypothetically Smash "reboot" will do.

Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are all that's needed in representing Mario. I feel like Pokemon should be restricted to Pikachu/1st generation reps if you really wanna keep things simple. Pikachu is arguably the face of the biggest franchise in media, so people will get it. And the 1st generation are basically the most recognizable, which Pikachu debuted.

I will def add that Lyn feels "Missing" And would essentially complete the Fire Emblem protagonists to date.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant is a really good standard character pick, but a pitiful excuse for a "joke pick". Characters like that - well known but a little quirky and not often requested if at all - should be the norm, not the exception. It's also kinda sad it took this long for Smash to get a (non-Pokémon) mook.
I don't know which opinion is the unpopular one, but mine is the opposite of yours.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm in support of that, but let's be real: any of these rotating cast franchises will run out of the "timeless" faces too easily if they rely solely on them.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Game Freak would be a really good choice for a new Smash development team. Their platformers (like Drill Dozer, Pulseman, and Tembo the Badass Elephant) are all absolute joys where beating up enemies feels really good, they aren't afraid of risky game or character design choices, and they know not to bloat games with unneeded legacy characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Game Freak would be a really good choice for a new Smash development team. Their platformers (like Drill Dozer, Pulseman, and Tembo the Badass Elephant) are all absolute joys where beating up enemies feels really good, they aren't afraid of risky game or character design choices, and they know not to bloat games with unneeded legacy characters.
now that is an interesting idea.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That supports my theory that GF really just wants to be a small indie studio doing what they want instead of being chained to corporate franchising.

Unfortunately, Pokémon is the only reason they can even pay their employees.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Trainer is an unironically amazing addition to the Smash series. But she's brought up in discussions about cutting characters, because smash players don't have a sense of humour. They'll say things like "How can Sakurai put in Wii Fit Trainer, but not [insert highly requested character]", and it's because she's better.

Wii Fit Trainer, as well characters like Villager or Mr Game and Watch, bring so much charm to Smash, because their mundanity contrasts against everyone else in the game. Like, they made a fighting game character out a fitness training program for women in their 40s. And they're in the same game as Sephiroth. How do you not get the joke?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer is an unironically amazing addition to the Smash series. But she's brought up in discussions about cutting characters, because smash players don't have a sense of humour. They'll say things like "How can Sakurai put in Wii Fit Trainer, but not [insert highly requested character]", and it's because she's better.

Wii Fit Trainer, as well characters like Villager or Mr Game and Watch, bring so much charm to Smash, because their mundanity contrasts against everyone else in the game. Like, they made a fighting game character out a fitness training program, made for women in their 40s. And they're in the same game as Sephiroth. How do you not get the joke?
The only reason WFT should be cut is to replace them with Ring Fit Trainee.

Even then, they can easily coexist.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Wii Fit Trainer, as well characters like Villager or Mr Game and Watch, bring so much charm to Smash, because their mundanity contrasts against everyone else in the game. Like, they made a fighting game character out a fitness training program, made for women in their 40s. And they're in the same game as Sephiroth. How do you not get the joke?
On a similar note, It'll always be funny to me that certain Smash fans will shoot down certain requests or dismiss certain inclusions on virtue of being "nothing but a meme", then also say you aren't playing the game correctly if there aren't bombs and banana peels falling from the sky.

How is wanting a character because they're funny any less valid than wanting them because they're cute or scary? What makes the fear radiating from a Porky or Ridley, or the adoration radiating from an Isabelle or Bandanna Waddle Dee, different from the humour radiating from a Morshu or Bubsy? Banjo and Crash are from comedy-centric games, how are they not "joke picks" while Waluigi and Gex are?

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
The only reason WFT should be cut is to replace them with Ring Fit Trainee.

Even then, they can easily coexist.
I think Wii Fit Trainer is irreplaceable. Ring Fit Adventure is much more of a standard game than Wii Fit, so Ring Fit Trainee's inclusion in smash wouldn't be nearly as absurd and therefore funny. She's like in a weird middle ground between joke character and standard pick, and I think it should be one or the other.

And, yeah they could coexist, but it would make Wii Fit Trainer less special. A joke isn't funny the second time you tell it.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord

Wii Fit Trainer is one of those very overlooked characters, and I think (s)he is a great WTF fighter in the same vein that G&W, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant were. I’m guessing that she’s overlooked as she’s not that established in the SSB community compared to G&W and R.O.B., and casual games sometimes get some backlash in this community.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive felt joke or not wii fit trainer still made sense for smash. they were included back when it was about nintendo all stars, the wii series became nintendo's 3rd most successful series, wii fit being the top of that, it made sense to give it a character. plus i like playing as them i'd be disappointed to see them go

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
ive felt joke or not wii fit trainer still made sense for smash. they were included back when it was about nintendo all stars, the wii series became nintendo's 3rd most successful series, wii fit being the top of that, it made sense to give it a character. plus i like playing as them i'd be disappointed to see them go
It's true. Wii Fit Trainer is emblematic of a significant part of Nintendo's history, when they focusing their efforts on appealing to non-gamers. I hadn't thought about it until now, but she is widely recognizable among gamers and non-gamers alike. A quality that not many smash characters share.

So even if you judge her purely by her legacy, her inclusion makes perfect sense. lmao

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

I also find it funny that a lot of people saying we need to cut WFT are the same people saying Smash should “represent” a lot of parts of nintendo and the videogame industry as if Wii Fit isn’t representing a huge part of the industry no other character does

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
And, yeah they could coexist, but it would make Wii Fit Trainer less special. A joke isn't funny the second time you tell it.
Greninja made Sheik less special tbf, so they aren't afraid of that issue in the Smash 4-on era.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, since the Miis are mostly retired now, I'd like to see the Mii Fighters be replaced by/heavily reworked and expanded into true OC custom fighters made specifically for Smash.

This is assuming Miis aren't replaced outright by a new console avatar system (my suggestion for that is to expand on the Sportsmates), but I don't think any console needs that anymore. WFT represents the Wii series well enough by their lonesome.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd like to see the Mii Fighters be replaced by/heavily reworked and expanded into true OC custom fighters made specifically for Smash.
Why not just use Miis and expand them then? They already fit that role.

WFT represents the Wii series well enough by their lonesome.
Wii Fit Trainer doesn't represent anything other than Wii Fit.

There's no honest way she can represent Wii Sports when she never appeared in it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Unexpected to some but Wii Fit Trainer wasn't a joke and neither is Ring Fit Trainer and both should be in
I get that Wii Fit is a historically and culturally important game, but you can't seriously look at the premise "character who kills people by doing yoga poses at them" and tell me it's not at least a little silly. There's an undeniably jokey element to WFT's inclusion, even if they're not strictly a "joke" character.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why not just use Miis and expand them then? They already fit that role.
...since the Miis are mostly retired now...
Using Miis is getting more and more awkward since the console line they were named after is all wrapped up. Plus, most games with customization nowadays, Switch or not, have their own avatar fitting to that game's style instead of relying on the console's features.

That said, perhaps there can be a compromise where Smash's custom character system is a heavily modified Mii system the way BotW has it with its NPCs. Just add Miitopia Switch's surprisingly detailed makeup system on top, and there's an even better base than what we have now.

but you can't seriously look at the premise "character who kills people by doing yoga poses at them" and tell me it's not at least a little silly.
Dhalsim makes it serious tbf.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not what Joke Characters are. They're intentionally bad characters competitively. There's nothing to joke about. We only had two in all of Smash History; Jigglypuff and Pichu. Ironically Jigglypuff got worse in later installments, while Pichu got better in its second appearance.

Like most characters, they're serious additions to the game. Joke Characters are surprisingly not common.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
That's not what Joke Characters are. They're intentionally bad characters competitively. There's nothing to joke about. We only had two in all of Smash History; Jigglypuff and Pichu. Ironically Jigglypuff got worse in later installments, while Pichu got better in its second appearance.

Like most characters, they're serious additions to the game. Joke Characters are surprisingly not common.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of games that have had "joke characters" that are perfectly viable and are just really stupid in concept - pretty much all the animal characters in Tekken are like this. "Dan Hibiki" is not the only variety of joke character; making a character intentionally bad is just one of the (in my opinion, less fun) ways of foisting that title onto them.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not necessarily. There are plenty of games that have had "joke characters" that are perfectly viable and are just really stupid in concept - pretty much all the animal characters in Tekken are like this. "Dan Hibiki" is not the only variety of joke character; making a character intentionally bad is just one of the (in my opinion, less fun) ways of foisting that title onto them.
No, Dan Hibiki is actually what a Joke Character is. The only other variety is one who was supposed to be a joke, but turns out amazingly good(like Jigglypuff in the first game. And kind of in a later game, but I forget if she's good in Ultimate?). They're called Lethal Joke Characters.

You're probably thinking of Comic Relief, which has nothing to really do with a Joke Character at all. They however do related to the Fighting Clown, which is directly what Wii Fit Trainer falls under. She's not there for Comic Relief, mind you, but the idea of her is very silly.

Overall, all three terms mean highly different things. Wii Fit Trainer is absolutely a serious addition to the roster. There's no joke being made by adding her. Her playstyle however is still ridiculous, which is why she fits Fighting Clown(which is for characters who are silly in appearance but actually aren't terrible in gameplay, sometimes really damn good). Others included are Villager, Piranha Plant, Isabelle, and Duck Hunt, to name a few. Though this also applies to Mr. Game & Watch, Luigi(he's meant to be klutz), Wario(that janky movement is beyond silly), and Steve/Alex.

Either way, you're not talking about the same thing as an actual Joke Character in this case. Just a Fighting Clown, Comic Relief, or at best, both.

Laniv

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of joke characters, I'll say that Smash Bros. has lacked a proper Dan Hibiki-style joke character since they buffed Pichu.

I nominate Glass Joe for the honor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While we're on the topic of joke characters, I'll say that Smash Bros. has lacked a proper Dan Hibiki-style joke character since they buffed Pichu.

I nominate Glass Joe for the honor.
The funny thing is, while a decent amount exist, most of them are also only that way in a specific home series and rarely are important to them. One of the few is Roll... and only cause of the Capcom VS games. Though her being a joke version of MegaMan could be cool.

As for Glass Joe, he surprisingly can be formidable... when he wears head gear. So kind of from regular joke to lethal? Though to also be fair, it's an odd trope that's usually meant for playable characters as is. His successor, Gabby Jay, is... slightly better. XD

Top Bottom