• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash 64 had the best stage selection in the series. Also I kinda hate how the smash 64 stages look in ultimate with the hd character models on them, it just doesn't look good to me
N64 Models don't translate well to HD. Yeish.

I feel Smash 64 just needed a tiny few more for your other franchises, but was pretty good. Also, I wish we could select the other stages normally from Single Player. That'd have been niiiiiice.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, hear me out: if SSBU brought back some of the SSE stages, my ideal use for them would only be for Spirit Battles. Namely:
  • Midair Stadium
  • The Lake (The stage at the end where you fight False Bowser)
  • The Forest
  • The Canyon
If these stages being locked behind Spirit Battles doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can unlock them as extra normal stages by completing WoL and getting any ending.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash 64 had the best stage selection in the series. Also I kinda hate how the smash 64 stages look in ultimate with the hd character models on them, it just doesn't look good to me
I sort of agree. Smash 64's stages has the best magic and richly simple, but Melee's stages are also brilliant and quintessential. Skyworld and Halbert are really good.

Mario Galaxy and Magicant are the only modern stages I find aesthetically pleasing, simple and fun.

Aligo

Smash Ace
But even in a non-port that's inefficient. There's no need to throw those models and animations away.
They will still take up dev time, as otherwise characters would not be cut at all in previous smash games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They will still take up dev time, as otherwise characters would not be cut at all in previous smash games.
That's a misnomer. They weren't cut simply for that.

Pichu and Young Link were cut for different reasons. Pichu's is entirely unknown, but Young Link was outright replaced by Toon Link. The reason the last 3 didn't reappear in Brawl was because Sonic was suddenly approved, which set their entire schedule ablaze and otherwise everyone but said two wouldn't come back. Funny thing is if Plusle & Minun really were planned, then that means they would've replaced Pichu, using its model and animations to create a new dual-character... not unlike how Young Link was used to create Toon Link.

It also had nothing to do with Smash 4's list, as the cuts were for "they aren't really feasible with the 3DS" or "were not priority due to no new games coming out".

Nobody was cut just because they didn't have time to return them all in itself. There's always context to why, and even then, this happened at most during Brawl. Not exactly much of a precedent for it to happen in the future. The more likely scenario is they were already chosen to be cut, licensing, or a huge thing comes up(like the Sonic fiasco) that forces a plan change. Not because "we suddenly ran out of time" in itself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's a misnomer. They weren't cut simply for that.

Pichu and Young Link were cut for different reasons. Pichu's is entirely unknown, but Young Link was outright replaced by Toon Link. The reason the last 3 didn't reappear in Brawl was because Sonic was suddenly approved, which set their entire schedule ablaze and otherwise everyone but said two wouldn't come back. Funny thing is if Plusle & Minun really were planned, then that means they would've replaced Pichu, using its model and animations to create a new dual-character... not unlike how Young Link was used to create Toon Link.

It also had nothing to do with Smash 4's list, as the cuts were for "they aren't really feasible with the 3DS" or "were not priority due to no new games coming out".

Nobody was cut just because they didn't have time to return them all in itself. There's always context to why, and even then, this happened at most during Brawl. Not exactly much of a precedent for it to happen in the future. The more likely scenario is they were already chosen to be cut, licensing, or a huge thing comes up(like the Sonic fiasco) that forces a plan change. Not because "we suddenly ran out of time" in itself.
what about running out of space on the cartridge? surely that'd be an issue at some point?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
what about running out of space on the cartridge? surely that'd be an issue at some point?
They’d have figured that out first before starting development and at worst(and for the first time) would delay said characters to DLC, assuming they don’t put the Modes to DLC first, of course. However, Sakurai doesn’t like doing that, so any of these cuts were not meant to come back anyway. Home Run Contest etc. were cuts that eventually they decided to bring back.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I might be the only one who isnt in either camp Reboot
or camp Ultimate 2 i think having a sequel with MOST of the Ultimate Characters is ideal but maybe cut out SOME Unecesary/ Third Party ones!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Because they needed to do a lot of polish and cleanup for the games 64-Brawl. Because HD development has largely moved towards pre-built assets and recycling, there won't be too much need to do such for the next Smash.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I would honestly be more surprised if the next Smash didn't have a quadruple-A GTA-tier budget and 100+ character roster - and keep in mind, I really really do not want bigger Smash games.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Flying Dragon is a criminally underrated IP that I believe deserves some representation.

1672404018656.png

I believe Flying Dragon is special enough due to how phenomenally played this game was at the height of its heyday that the average consumer would have some familiarity of it from their childhood. Flying Dragon is a IP that would provoke the most perfect unknown nostalgia that KoF should absolutely open the door for.

The kid variants are the most iconic, so should be the represents of the IP. Its stage and soundtrack potential is rich in their own. This game was a gem that deserves recognition.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Flying Dragon is a criminally underrated IP that I believe deserves some representation.

View attachment 365794

I believe Flying Dragon is special enough due to how phenomenally played this game was at the height of its heyday that the average consumer would have some familiarity of it from their childhood. Flying Dragon is a IP that would provoke the most perfect unknown nostalgia that KoF should absolutely open the door for.

The kid variants are the most iconic, so should be the represents of the IP. Its stage and soundtrack potential is rich in their own. This game was a gem that deserves recognition.
Kid Variants now we are talking just show me the diffrence between Adult and Kids Forms!

UserKev

Smash Champion
1672413311491.png

Controversial opinion. Dragonborn would be one of the most sadder missed opportunities. Elder Scrolls/Skyrim is a revolutionized enough title to warrant inclusion in Smash Bros. that would scream western fairness. I'm convinced there's no argument that can oppose Elder Scrolls significance and iconic status met.

While the IP being Microsoft owned, there's really nothing else stopping Elder Scrolls, specifically Skyrim at the least. Skyrim alone will most likely stand the test of time.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Double take.
I still dislike Smash having the multiple boss trope these days. And I cannot overlook them without salt due to how horribly they translate to Smash. I feel like if you wanna have multiple bosses, you need to have strict creative control.

Multiple bosses took away one of Smash's most charismatic attributes of rewarding secrecy. There's NO! better way you can do Smash bosses other than Master/Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Double take.
I still dislike Smash having the multiple boss trope these days. And I cannot overlook them without salt due to how horribly they translate to Smash. I feel like if you wanna have multiple bosses, you need to have strict creative control.

Multiple bosses took away one of Smash's most charismatic attributes of rewarding secrecy. There's NO! better way you can do Smash bosses other than Master/Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser.
I feel like Smash bosses tend to come off as a little mashy, you can just spam specials however you want with no punishment because they're so damn slow - they all feel like they should be spawning enemies or extra projectiles to stand in your path with how patiently they wait to attack, but just kinda aren't. The Calamity Ganon fight is a notable exception, since that one actually has a tough-to-reach weak spot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Smash bosses tend to come off as a little mashy, you can just spam specials however you want with no punishment because they're so damn slow - they all feel like they should be spawning enemies or extra projectiles to stand in your path with how patiently they wait to attack, but just kinda aren't. The Calamity Ganon fight is a notable exception, since that one actually has a tough-to-reach weak spot.
It’s just ganon not calamity ganon

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think Flowey aka this cute little flower:
makes a better choice as sans him being Undertales Mascot and all!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I agree, plus I'd extend that to Smash enemies and Ultimate ATs too. Plus I don't think Ganon is that fun because of his guarded weak point.

I think the problem lies with the bosses and some strong enemies not flinching. Even the flinching of weaker enemies like Goombas and Primids feels weightless.

Give them stun opportunities that make their flinching more "weighty", and they'll be more fun to fight.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, this has been bugging me for a while. There's this interview where Mr. Sakurai said something roughly like "I'd like to leave Smash to someone else, and we tried but it didn't work out". This statement has been discussed quite a bit and people argue about what it means for the future occasionally. But, I think there's something that really ought to be asked about it. When did this happen?

I think most people assume it must be during one of the Smash games we're all familiar with. However, I'm not really sold that's the case. You'd think he'd just say something like "we tried it during Brawl's development but it didn't work out" or "...Melee", right? So, here's my crazy opinion. I think there might be a reason he didn't specify which game he was talking about. And the reason could be there's a scrapped Smash game sitting around in complete and total obscurity. One that we all know nothing about and perhaps never will learn about.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
...To be fair, isn't Sans the actual Undertale Mascot? Flowey's just an important character otherwise.

I mean, Flowey would've been a cool mascot, though, but overall, isn't one.
Nah Flowey is definitly the Official Mascot!
Atleast when the game came first out but after sans got so popular Flowey sorta fell of!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Actually, looking at the history, Flowey was that at first, but once he revealed his personality, people were not fond of him and clung to Toriel quite fast, which made her the mascot later.

Sans isn't actually the mascot, but it's hard to tell sometimes due to his immense popularity as well. Whoops.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Not sure if this is unpopular, but I enjoy playing Smash Bros in a beat ‘em up setting just as much as a fighting game or party game setting. I liked Melee’s adventure mode, Subspace Emmisery and especially Smash Run on the 3DS game. Going through hordes of enemies with my favorite Nintendo characters has always been one of my favorite things to do in past Smash games. I would love to have seen something like that with Ultimate so that is why World of Light was so disappointing for me because the matches felt like a better version of event mode.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
...Actually, looking at the history, Flowey was that at first, but once he revealed his personality, people were not fond of him and clung to Toriel quite fast, which made her the mascot later.

Sans isn't actually the mascot, but it's hard to tell sometimes due to his immense popularity as well. Whoops.
I mean yeah but Flowey is still the most important character for Undertales Themes and Plot!
And heck the current Deltarune Masot is basically pre reveal Flowey!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean yeah but Flowey is still the most important character for Undertales Themes and Plot!
And heck the current Deltarune Masot is basically pre reveal Flowey!
Right, but that doesn't make for a mascot. They're more about recognizability and who the fans like. Sometimes they can also be massively pushed as a representation of the game.

Generally, it's probably better to say they're both, but Flowey isn't very popular with the fanbase at that point and prefer Toriel.

Mascots are weird because there's the fan version and the one the company decides. Oftentimes these will combine. It's how Fulgore and Nightmare became the respective mascots of Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur respectively.

Laniv

Smash Lord
does anyone else think there's something off with pyra/mythra's faces?
Yeah, something's really off about them, especially when you compare them to Shulk

I get that Xenoblade 2 has a different art style (which is a conversation ok and of itself), but sheesh

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, in the sense that people don't agree with it. But rather because I think people don't care about it. (Maybe I'm wrong).

In Melee, stage names are accompanied by prefixes. These prefixes give an idea of where the stage is located.

For example, Great Bay has the prefix Termina. For the Fountain of Dreams, it's Dreamland, Temple has Hyrule, Poke Floats has Kanto skies, Brinstar has Planet Zebes, ect, ect...

It's a small detail. And I completely understand people who don't care because it seems so insignificant.

But for me, it's the little things that make the difference. These prefixes always gave me the impression that there was a whole world behind these stages.

When I was a kid, Brinstar and Brinstar Depths scared me. In a good way. When I saw how gloomy and ominous those stages are, I wondered how the rest of Planet Zebes looked. It actually made me want to play Super Metroid.

Now, the prefixes are the name of the games where the stage are based from. But they never made me want to play the games as much as the prefixes in Melee.
Mostly because they make me want to explore the zones, of which Smash contains only a small part.

Maybe I'm not the only one with this impression.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, in the sense that people don't agree with it. But rather because I think people don't care about it. (Maybe I'm wrong).

In Melee, stage names are accompanied by prefixes. These prefixes give an idea of where the stage is located.

For example, Great Bay has the prefix Termina. For the Fountain of Dreams, it's Dreamland, Temple has Hyrule, Poke Floats has Kanto skies, Brinstar has Planet Zebes, ect, ect...

It's a small detail. And I completely understand people who don't care because it seems so insignificant.

But for me, it's the little things that make the difference. These prefixes always gave me the impression that there was a whole world behind these stages.

When I was a kid, Brinstar and Brinstar Depths scared me. In a good way. When I saw how gloomy and ominous those stages are, I wondered how the rest of Planet Zebes looked. It actually made me want to play Super Metroid.

Now, the prefixes are the name of the games where the stage are based from. But they never made me want to play the games as much as the prefixes in Melee.
Mostly because they make me want to explore the zones, of which Smash contains only a small part.

in fairness theres a few stages that wouldn't work for

Aligo

Smash Ace
Yeah, something's really off about them, especially when you compare them to Shulk

I get that Xenoblade 2 has a different art style (which is a conversation ok and of itself), but sheesh
For some reason the CSS art looks off compared to the actual in-game models, which are pretty good. Poor shulk looks rather borked in both, and should probably be both in line for a new model and a hopefully a moveset rework.

Speaking of CSS art, I have always found that sephiroth's face looks very different between the CSS art and in-game model, with the CSS art having a strangely elongated face. I wonder if this is the case with more of the CSS arts and I haven't noticed.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master

True but there are some issues namely We dont actually know if the fountain of dreams or Great cave offensive are in Dreamland or just on popstar!
Although let me come up with a Stage Name thats Formatted like this:
The Underground
Snowdin

Aligo

Smash Ace
For prefixes, stages such as Wii fit studio, the animal crossing towns, or any other stage that has no canon location would have trouble with prefixes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What stages do you have in mind ?
well hollow bastion is the name of the world itself so that can't work. some stages are named for the games they're from rather than the location, like tomodachi life and streetpass quest. some name for games don't even have names for those locations, like balloon fight. the mine craft world doesn't have a name and as that's the name of the stage it falls into the same problem as hollow bastion. i don't think the FF7 world has a name so there's nothing for midgar and nothern cavern. mario bros doesn't have a canon location and 75m only got one retroactively. living room also has no canon location. whuhu island is the location. pilotwings is set over several locations. pictochat can't have one. duck hunt had the same problem as balloon fight.

other than that i think you could probably do it for the rest of them

Aligo

Smash Ace
well hollow bastion is the name of the world itself so that can't work. some stages are named for the games they're from rather than the location, like tomodachi life and streetpass quest. some name for games don't even have names for those locations, like balloon fight. the mine craft world doesn't have a name and as that's the name of the stage it falls into the same problem as hollow bastion. i don't think the FF7 world has a name so there's nothing for midgar and nothern cavern. mario bros doesn't have a canon location and 75m only got one retroactively. living room also has no canon location. whuhu island is the location. pilotwings is set over several locations. pictochat can't have one. duck hunt had the same problem as balloon fight.

other than that i think you could probably do it for the rest of them
Does the animal crossing world have its own name for the smashville and town/city prefixes?

It may be a bit off but I could see pictochat having 'nintendo DS' as it's prefix, a bit like how flat zone had game and watch.

Top Bottom