• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

UserKev

Smash Champion
That didn't stop Villager, Isabelle, and Wii Fit Trainer who can't fight in their series but somehow can in Smash.
:laugh: Villager has the meme gimmick, you can pull anything from his moveset. Isabelle is a generally fun character and might as well play similar to Villager with some uniqueness of her own. Wii Fit Trainer is literally asking to be a fighter coach yoga instructor. For Tom Nook? Nothing. He's immediately apart of Villger's Final Smash for a reason that may as well be rational.

Laniv

Smash Lord
No hard feelings. I do believe he should have a chance, but not before Resetti as he has more moveset potential. You can do vastly more with an essentially raging mole.
Yeah, I'll concede that between Nook and Resetti, the latter is more immediately prepared for a fight. He can dig, comes pre-equipped with a weapon, and is constantly enraged.

But I believe that as "fit for Smash" Resetti is, Tom Nook can provide a more interesting moveset. Part of the reason why I was so excited for the Villager's inclusion was partially because I like Animal Crossing as a series, but mostly because I liked to see how this non-combatant character would adapt to a fighting game environment. Same with Isabelle, and Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Duck Hunt to a lesser extent.

Another thing, I think it's a bit odd you consider Isabelle a better fit than Nook when she has this to say in New Leaf:

Screenshot_20220125-163220.png

Villager has the meme gimmick, you can pull anything from his moveset. Isabelle is a generally fun character and might as well play similar to Villager with some uniqueness of her own. Wii Fit Trainer is literally asking to be a fighter coach yoga instructor. For Tom Nook? Nothing. He's immediately apart of Villger's Final Smash for a reason that may as well be rational.

...How does Villager have a "meme gimmick"?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll concede that between Nook and Resetti, the latter is more immediately prepared for a fight. He can dig, comes pre-equipped with a weapon, and is constantly enraged.

But I believe that as "fit for Smash" Resetti is, Tom Nook can provide a more interesting moveset. Part of the reason why I was so excited for the Villager's inclusion was partially because I like Animal Crossing as a series, but mostly because I liked to see how this non-combatant character would adapt to a fighting game environment. Same with Isabelle, and Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Duck Hunt to a lesser extent.

Another thing, I think it's a bit odd you consider Isabelle a better fit than Nook when she has this to say in New Leaf:

View attachment 343598
Isabelle is at least an around brighter character. I stated this once, Steve is basically what Tom Nook could have been. Or at least the first to have done as far as having the Smash movest.

...How does Villager have a "meme gimmick"?
Villager is a psychopath. lol

Lenidem

Smash Lord
:laugh: Villager has the meme gimmick, you can pull anything from his moveset. Isabelle is a generally fun character and might as well play similar to Villager with some uniqueness of her own. Wii Fit Trainer is literally asking to be a fighter coach yoga instructor. For Tom Nook? Nothing. He's immediately apart of Villger's Final Smash for a reason that may as well be rational.
Typical case of "This character doesn't follow the rule I made up, so he can't be in Smash. - But there are several characters already in Smash who don't follow that rule... - Yeah, but those follow this other rule I made up."

UserKev

Smash Champion
Typical case of "This character doesn't follow the rule I made up, so he can't be in Smash. - But there are several characters already in Smash who don't follow that rule... - Yeah, but those follow this other rule I made up."
This isn't a fan role. Its an opinion. I already stated I do believe Tom Nook should eventually be playable. And when that time is here, he's going to be boring. If not carefully done right because honestly, Tom Nook's aesthetic alone is really bland. You can probably argue the same for Captain Falcon, but Captain Falcon at least has a staggering aesthetic that you can slap a moveset on. Tom Nook's moveset is the only niche he will have appealing. If you asked me, I'd probably already seen Tom Nook in several other cartoons, animations.

I just find Tom Nook's overall look unbearable, stiff, unmoving and very monotone. He's not for me. And I can't bare to understand his hype.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Don’t know if I posted this before or not but I feel like smash ultimate really lacks direction with it’s roster and it’s a pretty big problem.

I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a celebration of nintendo or a celebration of gaming and if you think about it as either of the two it’s disappointing. If you think about it as a nintendo all-stars game it’s somewhat disappointing and if you think about it as a gaming all-stars game it’s also somewhat disappointing. There are very few specific individual picks I can single out as saying don’t like and most of them were super hype but in hindsight I think the roster would be better if it had stuck to one or the other.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Don’t know if I posted this before or not but I feel like smash ultimate really lacks direction with it’s roster and it’s a pretty big problem.

I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a celebration of nintendo or a celebration of gaming and if you think about it as either of the two it’s disappointing. If you think about it as a nintendo all-stars game it’s somewhat disappointing and if you think about it as a gaming all-stars game it’s also somewhat disappointing. There are very few specific individual picks I can single out as saying don’t like and most of them were super hype but in hindsight I think the roster would be better if it had stuck to one or the other.
Eh, depends more on preference. I’m mostly content with the way Smash’s roster is just as much as I think there are areas where it could be improved, whether it be replacing one fighter with another or improving an existing veteran.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

thats cause its based on what sakurai feels like

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
thats cause its based on what sakurai feels like
You know what? I’m glad that’s the case, because with Ultimate he’s brought the most diverse roster of characters (Echoes notwithstanding cause that’s its own topic) in the series so far. There are some areas there could be improvement, sure, but for the most part I think letting Sakurai do what he likes is a good thing.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
  • As said on my profile description, Brawl is my favorite game.
  • Literally anyone can have a fun moveset or some sort of gimmick. Look at R.O.B., his moveset is completely made up.
  • I don't like Temple.
  • Ultimate's Final Destination theme is the worst one.
  • Final Smashes were great in Brawl and Sm4sh. Changing them in Ultimate was a waste of time and almost all of them are worse than the ones before them.
  • A Gen 5 rep should've been in Sm4sh.
  • A mix between original locations and enemies would've been better than one or the other for Subspace.
  • I agree with Mamboo07 Mamboo07 , we really should have DLC costumes for characters other than the Miis.
  • :wifi: should've been playable outside of online. One time, I legit listened to the theme for 20 minutes.
  • I don't like Smash Tour, but it wasn't THAT bad.
  • One or two of the Mario Kart tracks should've been replaced with stages from other subseries, but only for the sake of diversity.
  • Keychains from Kirby Triple Deluxe, which feature neat little sprites of characters and objects, would've been way more charming and satisfying to collect than Spirits.
  • While Shadow is my most wanted Sonic character, I feel Blaze would make for a better echo fighter than he would.
  • Ice Climbers have literally nothing going for them in terms of inclusion. Their mechanic could easily have gone to another duo like Plusle & Minun or Diddy & Dixie and there are better retro characters to pick from.
Brawl should've gotten a definitive edition to fix a lot of the problems of the original release (and maybe add Mewtwo, Roy and WFT as characters)
Agreed. I love Brawl, but seeing as the Wii lacked DLC and game updates, this really should have happened IMO.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know what? I’m glad that’s the case, because with Ultimate he’s brought the most diverse roster of characters (Echoes notwithstanding cause that’s its own topic) in the series so far. There are some areas there could be improvement, sure, but for the most part I think letting Sakurai do what he likes is a good thing.
i disagree. its been a very mixed bag of newcomers for me

64bitmodels

Smash Rookie
where did you hear that?
if i'm being totally honest, i don't really know.... However judging by how the new kirby entry was announced around when ult got its last DLC and that it's far more ambitious than nearly every kirby before it i'm willing to bet that sakurai at least has some involvement... at least i hope he does

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if i'm being totally honest, i don't really know.... However judging by how the new kirby entry was announced around when ult got its last DLC and that it's far more ambitious than nearly every kirby before it i'm willing to bet that sakurai at least has some involvement... at least i hope he does
well he can’t have. The game will have been in development long before then otherwise it wouldn’t be ready in two months from now. Odds are it’s been in the works since they were done with star allies.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Frankly, if it isn't an extremely popular nintendo franchise it should just be an assist trophy or a trophy in general.
in my eyes, only the original 8 from smash 64 (with ness, jigglypuff and falcon being cut) should enter and everything else should be from third parties.
If Splatoon and Animal Crossing don't qualify as "an extremely popular Nintendo franchise," why does Star Fox get a free pass?

64bitmodels

Smash Rookie
If Splatoon and Animal Crossing don't qualify as "an extremely popular Nintendo franchise," why does Star Fox get a free pass?
Fox was extremely important to Smash as a character, he was emblematic of speed and is the best character in melee. he at least deserves a spot as one of the few nintendo franchises that get in

Last edited:

SolarPCG

Banned via Administration
Fox and, and to a lesser extent, his Shine and have become intertwined with Smash Bros's identity in gaming communities. I'd argue he's in the same situation as Captain Falcon, they're both so closely tied to Smash's brand that they've ascended past their original games and essentially become Smash OCs.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Fox was extremely important to Smash as a character, he was emblematic of speed and is the best character in melee. he at least deserves a spot as one of the few nintendo franchises that get in
If you're specifically putting franchises on a pedestal just because "they got into Smash first," then you're not exactly fulfilling the "Only extremely popular Nintendo franchises" goal. Modern history is still history.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
May not be unpopular, but Final Smashes need to go. Their long overdo for a revamp anyway. Smash would be fine without them again for awhile at least.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I personal would be ok with Smash switching to a Trap-Hip Hop inspiration for its menu theme. Honestly, T.I has some of the most perfect instrumentals from the 2000s that can fit Smash. That's just one of the examples.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Honesty, seeing that Kirby's copy abilities can be evolved to become more stronger in Forgotten Land.
Would be cool to have in Kirby's new moveset.

I can imagine Kirby using Dragon Fire and Gigant Sword.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers were a terrible choice for a character. Extremely few people remembered their game, which I've heard wasn't very good. Game & Watch also fills the role of retro rep better. Dr. Mario was also a terrible choice for a character. I feel like we would have been better off if these two hadn't been added. Maybe that time could have been spent making Toad a playable character instead. Or, at the very least, fixing Game & Watch's glaring issues (shield not covering his body and most of his aerials not L-canceling) and de-cloning Ganondorf.

Top Bottom