• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think that Ultimate will probably become the next “Melee” since it’s highly likely that characters are getting cut next game (I’m saying 40+, but hopefully I’m wrong when the time comes), and I’m unsure we’ll ever get a roster of this size again let alone another Everyone is Here. With the roster decreasing in size, I can see some fans sticking to Ultimate and creating a community similar to Melee, even if I asssume that most players move onto the next game since it’s the new entry like Sword and Shield.
I dunno if Ultimate really has enough tech or unique mechanics to stick around for decades like Melee has, but only time will tell, I guess.
When people say they miss Subspace what they really mean they missed the cutscenes and boss battles from that mode. Glad the development team only took the best parts from that mode like they did with Smash Tour.
Nah, ya boi actually really liked SSE's gameplay. Admittedly sluggish beat-em-up style gameplay >>> whatever the **** World of Light was going for. Really fun and bizarre crossover scenarios and an actual story to speak of were the icing on the cake.
Other characters shouldn’t get in over the main character. There. I said it.
If anything, this is a big part of what bothers me about how Smash picks its characters. Picking the main guy or the big bad every single time is boring, and it's why the few times that Ultimate bucked this trend over the years were, in my opinion, some of the most interesting picks we've ever seen.
Why is he treated as an exceptional case as opposed to other 4th parties/non-gaming characters? If you want to really get down to it then Superman had more games then Goku ever had. Popeye has a history of being the core inspiration for what eventually led to Mario originally with the Donkey Kong arcade being planned to be a Popeye game. You don't see people talking about those.
Oh sweet lord, man, if Popeye ever got added to Smash, I'd actually be interested for the first time in years. IMAGINE the reveal trailer.
  • None of what I said applies to Dixie Kong and I don't feel like explaining why. She's the only Nintendo character who I feel is truly missing from Smash
Alright, hot take time: I don't get the hype behind Dixie Kong. She's a fine character, I thought she was cool in Tropical Freeze (Cranky's way more fun tho), but at the same time, when we're getting to sidekicks of sidekicks, it's kinda hard for me to get excited at that point. I dunno, I just don't really feel like she's an unforgiveable exclusion or that the roster's incomplete without her, y'know? (Toad's in a similar boat for me, except he's not even really third-banana tier like Dixie Kong is. He's more like the Mario-verse equivalent of a lemming.)
  • I like "shill picks" because they make the roster feel fresh. For the longest time Incineroar was the newest character in the game and he was from 2016, predating the hardware the very game was on, and I feel that Byleth, Min Min, and Pythra rectified that.
Issue is, if you go adding characters purely based on what's "hot" at the time, you risk adding characters whose inclusions will inevitably age horribly like Corrin and, to a lesser extent, Incineroar. (Yes, I said it.)
People get too focused on whether Smash is Nintendo All-Stars! or whether it's A Celebration of Gaming!

Both have been said, yes, but people want Smash to be 100% this or 100% that.
Smash is both. And neither. And sometimes inbetween.
Smash is Smash. It's its own thing now.
Don't try to define it or limit it.
Let it be what it is.
My take is, Smash is not a "Celebration of Gaming," nor is it "Nintendo All-Stars" or whatever BS people spout to put the game on a pedestal these days. It is quite literally just a game.
Also you all also need to stop asking for character overhauls. Judging from the reactions most of you had to Terry and especially Kazuya more than prove to me that most of you do NOT play other fighting games at all. So most of you don't realize that the "character overhauls" you mentioned rarely ever worked out. Because you're asking people to throw away years of legacy skill. And for someone who didn't even play the character in the first place? Sakurai is a fighting game fan and understands this very well. Harada learned this the hard way with Jin in Tekken 4, that's why we have Devil Jin in Tekken 5. In my 30 years of existence and enjoying fighting games, there has been ONE character in the entire Fighting game genre that had a moveset overhaul that worked well enough that almost no one complained about the change (it's Charlie Nash from Street Fighter). And there are a LOT of factors as to why that worked.
Nah. Character changes are good and I'm tired of pretending they aren't. Are you really telling me you couldn't give Donkey Kong a coconut gun or hell, a barrel instead of that stupid little headbutt he has for a Side-B? C'mon, now.
It only really works because Dr Mario isn't really fleshed out as his own character, for the likes of Daisy there's way less of an excuse

The clones aren't to blame for that, and once these are out of the equation "bloat" is completely and utterly meaningless. Heck, once these challenges are out of the equation the arguments that people use to argue that the clones are "bloat" could just as easily be used to argue that the Alph alt is "bloat," how come the people who still demand the removal of clones today aren't also demanding the removal of the Alph alt?

Then there's no excuse whatsoever for people to still be playing the "bLoAt" card now that Ultimate is a thing.
Funnily enough, "bloat" is exactly the word I would use to describe Ultimate, and the Echo Fighters I feel contribute to that. I get that they're harmless additions in terms of workload, but their inclusion frankly reeks of padding and communicates a desire on Nintendo's part to simply buff the game's numbers up as much as possible rather than committing to any cool new ideas. This "quantity > quality" approach is the main issue I have with Ultimate, and I feel it hurts the game in a lot of ways that people will really begin to appreciate with time.
Some strange part of my brain says that they should have added a Minecraft stage builder instead of Steve to represent the series better.
Genuinely agree with this, but most Smash fans won't be able to comprehend the idea since they're so hyperfocused on characters being the end-all-be-all for representation, even when something like a stage or assist trophy would fit better.
Incineroar was not the ideal choice for a Gen VII Pokemon (that honor goes to Buzzwole or Pheromosa), but it was a much better choice than Decidueye could've ever been. I'd rather keep it around than Greninja.
Speaking personally, I feel a plant-based avian archer (of which we only have 6 currently, half of which being clones, all of which only pull out their bow for one move) had a lot more potential to be unique than yet another fire-based brawler, but that's just me.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel like Cranky is the only Nintendo character missing from the roster. Regardless if rather Cranky's history has been retcon, he's a hypothetical representation of "Old DK" and just has a overall stronger presence when you begin to theorize around the character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Cranky is the only Nintendo character missing from the roster. Regardless if rather Cranky's history has been retcon, he's a hypothetical representation of "Old DK" and just has a overall stronger presence when you begin to theorize around the character.
personally i just wanna bounce on people with the cane

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When it comes to Ultimate's Classic Mode, I like routes where each character fits a certain criteria better than routes that just try to have each character resemble ones from the source material, since Spirit Battles pretty much already do that.
to bad they dont stick the criteria to well

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I never told the Dixie supporters this but, Cranky indeed seems like the frontrunner of DKC newcomers at this point.

• He's gonna be in the Mario movie. Not even Diddy is gonna be in there. Considering it's not a DK movie, that's quite a feat.
  • Following the pattern of DLC characters of Ultimate, Sakurai choosing the unique option over the expected option (Min Min over Spring man, Aegis over Rex, Kazuya over Heiachi) Cranky would probably be picked over Dixie due to Dixie possibly sharing some common traits and stats with Diddy. Cranky wouldn't be a semi clone, Dixie could.
  • Cranky has been in the most famous and commerically successful DK games, DKC1, DK64 and DKC Returns, Dixie was not in them. And they where both playable in the latest DKC game.
  • Cranky is a legacy character, him appearing in the Mario movie will establish it 100% that he's the original Donkey Kong.

He's overall a seriously overlooked character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
  • Following the pattern of DLC characters of Ultimate, Sakurai choosing the unique option over the expected option (Min Min over Spring man, Aegis over Rex, Kazuya over Heiachi) Cranky would probably be picked over Dixie due to Dixie possibly sharing some common traits and stats with Diddy. Cranky wouldn't be a semi clone, Dixie could.
to be fair it was bias rather than uniqueness that got some of them in

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well, I never told the Dixie supporters this but, Cranky indeed seems like the frontrunner of DKC newcomers at this point.

• He's gonna be in the Mario movie. Not even Diddy is gonna be in there. Considering it's not a DK movie, that's quite a feat.
  • Cranky has been in the most famous and commerically successful DK games, DKC1, DK64 and DKC Returns, Dixie was not in them. And they where both playable in the latest DKC game.
  • Cranky is a legacy character, him appearing in the Mario movie will establish it 100% that he's the original Donkey Kong.

He's overall a seriously overlooked character.
Bro, I seriously love you. Everything you've written is what I needed to see and have been trying to say for ages because I wasn't aware like that. Ironic with how badly I want Cranky. Dixie and Cranky could both be newcomers in any case.

I just love how Cranky Kong would go from this:

1640885709332.png

To this/Smash background cameo:

1640885849197.png

To Smash:

1640886058261.png

I just love how historically accurate Cranky Kong feels.

FazDude

Smash Master
NGL, Cranky's probably my most wanted DK newcomer (although I definitely wouldn't mind other DK characters joining the roster). A lot of what Diddy said makes a lot of sense to me, and I feel he has a lot more moveset potential than people give him credit for. Maybe give him a barrel throw move if you won't give DK himself one.

I will probably share a few of my own unpopular opinions someday, but I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate Cranky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bro, I seriously love you. Everything you've written is what I needed to see and have been trying to say for ages because I wasn't aware like that. Ironic with how badly I want Cranky. Dixie and Cranky could both be newcomers in any case.

I just love how Cranky Kong would go from this:

View attachment 341382

To this/Smash background cameo:

View attachment 341383

To Smash:

View attachment 341386

I just love how historically accurate Cranky Kong feels.
I have been thinking this for a while, but yeah, the Dixie community was of course the biggest DK based community on this site. So stating my opinion about this matter wasn't the best move in that thread. But I do think Cranky has the biggest chances right now.

Yes a barrel throw seems a good idea, but I was also thinking Cranky could have a projectile attack that's sort of similar to what Pac Man does, but instead use obstacles of the original DK Arcade game. Like the springs for example.

I mean, outside of the one stage, the DK Arcade game hasn't been references much in Smash. Sort of weird actually. People suggested DK Jr. or Pauline to do this, but I think Cranky makes more sense.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I have been thinking this for a while, but yeah, the Dixie community was of course the biggest DK based community on this site. So stating my opinion about this matter wasn't the best move in that thread. But I do think Cranky has the biggest chances right now.

Yes a barrel throw seems a good idea, but I was also thinking Cranky could have a projectile attack that's sort of similar to what Pac Man does, but instead use obstacles of the original DK Arcade game. Like the springs for example.

I mean, outside of the one stage, the DK Arcade game hasn't been references much in Smash. Sort of weird actually. People suggested DK Jr. or Pauline to do this, but I think Cranky makes more sense.
I mean, arguments are bound to viral, but you were really just trying to get the message across that they shouldn't knock Cranky. I just hope we can get Sakurai to see that both are wanted and one already should be a red flag. Otherwise its fair to assume Sakurai isn't found of the DK franchise. As far as Cranky's moveset potential, you can't go wrong with what's already suggested.

1640895043887.png

Cranky is practically built up for Smash with the current concept is plentiful.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
This "quantity > quality" approach is the main issue I have with Ultimate, and I feel it hurts the game in a lot of ways that people will really begin to appreciate with time.
The thing is, it's not an equal trade, if you want to trade away "quantity" in favor of "quality," targeting the Echo Fighters isn't going to do that. The "quality VS quantity" argument revolves more around one's perception of "Everyone is Here," rather than the existence of Echoes

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I want more JRPG characters and swordsmen. More so, I want specifically DQ, FE, and a gen 5 Pokemon rep (Zekrom specifically :))

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Forgot to mention, but Guardian Tales getting a rep would be cool. Even if its a mobile game, its still one of my favorite games of all time. I mean… just look at the art!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Forgot to mention, but Guardian Tales getting a rep would be cool. Even if its a mobile game, its still one of my favorite games of all time. I mean… just look at the art!
Personally, I hope our first mobile rep is Euden, given Dragalia Lost is actually owned by Nintendo, but that IS some nice artwork. Who's the character featured here?

Pupp135

Smash Lord
This is a weird thing that I thought of recently, but I actually think that Ness (he’s my favorite one from SSB64) would be the first SSB64 character to be cut if any of them are since he’s less popular than Falcon and harder to make than Jigglypuff (it probably has the lowest priority, but it’s super easy to make).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is a weird thing that I thought of recently, but I actually think that Ness (he’s my favorite one from SSB64) would be the first SSB64 character to be cut if any of them are since he’s less popular than Falcon and harder to make than Jigglypuff (it probably has the lowest priority, but it’s super easy to make).
well he was nearly cut from melee

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ngl, Tom Nook is one of the most bland picks for a newcomer. Mr Resetti is infinitely better.

64bitmodels

Smash Rookie
Nearly every nintendo rep is overrepresented, Smash should have more focus on third parties and not just nintendo/fire emblem stuff. It's a crossover fighter, not pokemon vs fire emblem simulator

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Nearly every nintendo rep is overrepresented, Smash should have more focus on third parties and not just nintendo/fire emblem stuff. It's a crossover fighter, not pokemon vs fire emblem simulator
Series like Kirby and Zelda haven't got a rep since Brawl.

Yoshi, F-Zero, Wario and other Nintendo series don't have another newcomer.

64bitmodels

Smash Rookie
Series like Kirby and Zelda haven't got a rep since Brawl.

Yoshi, F-Zero, Wario and other Nintendo series don't have another newcomer.
Frankly, if it isn't an extremely popular nintendo franchise it should just be an assist trophy or a trophy in general.
in my eyes, only the original 8 from smash 64 (with ness, jigglypuff and falcon being cut) should enter and everything else should be from third parties.
also, for that whole "demote clone to assist trophy" argument.... Spirits exist, yknow? better yet, regular 3d trophies are fine too. If a character doesn't fit into an assist trophy or a clone, don't bother. putting in a trophy is fine enough.

I also agree that smash should MASSIVELY downsize on the roster. The next smash title should at most have 25 characters. and NONE of them should be clones. All of that time spent adding clones and assist trophies could be spent on making the stages, music, art direction and modes extremely good.

Furthermore, the next smash should have a greater focus on modes and singleplayer content. not everybody is in it competitively you know. if it were up to me, the modes would be this

-Subspace Spiritual successor
-Smash Run, but massively improved upon
-Break the targets, with a unique stage for each character (the roster is downsized from ultimate, so that shouldn't be a problem)
-Home Run contest, with actual challenges rather than just "hit the sandbag as far as possible"
-Adventure mode brought back from Melee

UserKev

Smash Champion
in terms of personality or moveset potential?
Both. When I look at Tom Nook, he literally isn't a fighter. Just some animal property owner.
View attachment 343562

I kid, but I'm curious as to why you say that.
No hard feelings. I do believe he should have a chance, but not before Resetti as he has more moveset potential. You can do vastly more with an essentially raging mole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom