• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’ve seen a decent amount of people saying the more veteran characters have movesets that don’t fit their games. Maybe it’s just me, but I have no issue with DK just being a powerful gorilla who throws hands. Not every move needs to reference “that one time they did that in that one game”

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
would this be an unpopular opinion?

replacing all of fighter's pass 1 with these characters. Also the release of fighter's pass 1 and 2 get switched
Ahri __ ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief __ ( Halo ) via 343 Industries & Microsoft

Lightbringer Knight __ ( dungeon fighter online ) via Neople

Matoi __ ( Phantasy Star Online 2 ) via Sega

SpellSinger __ ( Lineage II ) via NCSoft

Yoyomom

Smash Rookie
A Link between worlds Zelda is the worst choice for Zelda.
Modded Smash bros games and other fan games don't count as official Smash games.
Making fun of Waluigi and people who wanted Waluigi isn't funny.
If Sakurai wants to quit making Smash bros, he should pass the torch. He doesn't make Kirby games anymore and that franchise is still alive.
We don't need another Sonic rep in Smash. Not unless we get another Mega Man rep for each one.
We don't have enough Starfox reps.
Being a sword fighter is a terrible reason to not want a character.
We don't need Melee HD.
I'm glad Travis Touchdown and Dragonborn aren't fighters.
We don't need characters that always belonged to Microsoft like Master Chief.
I would be okay if we never get non-video game characters.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Oh Baby A Triple!:

I said this in the RTC thread and I'll say it again, the only problem with Byleth was their timing. Swap them with Terry Bogard and you'd not only reduce the backlash by ripping off the band-aid early but also end on a high note with a character that means alot to Sakurai. You also wouldn't have to sacrifice the legendary double reveal at E3.

When people say they miss Subspace what they really mean they missed the cutscenes and boss battles from that mode. Glad the development team only took the best parts from that mode like they did with Smash Tour.

Both FP1 and FP2 are good in their own rights but FP2 is objectively better not only in terms of legacy picks but in terms of trailer quality.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Oh Baby A Triple!:

I said this in the RTC thread and I'll say it again, the only problem with Byleth was their timing. Swap them with Terry Bogard and you'd not only reduce the backlash by ripping off the band-aid early but also end on a high note with a character that means alot to Sakurai. You also wouldn't have to sacrifice the legendary double reveal at E3.

When people say they miss Subspace what they really mean they missed the cutscenes and boss battles from that mode. Glad the development team only took the best parts from that mode like they did with Smash Tour.

Both FP1 and FP2 are good in their own rights but FP2 is objectively better not only in terms of legacy picks but in terms of trailer quality.
As much as I enjoyed subspace at the time, the actual levels had super cruel design, with lots of areas that just destroy you without any warning or means to react. While it was rather slow, Wol thankfully did not have this isssue, and it's boss fights were a lot better too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Byleth is a well deserved newcomer, Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of the best games on Switch and a serious upgrade for the series. My biggest gripe with Byleth is their moveset not being what it should be, and not the fact they're from Fire Emblem. If there are a few cuts in the Fire Emblem roster, I wouldn't even mind having Dimitri, Edelgard and Claude on the roster. In fact I would love Dimitri especially.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I honestly wouldn't mind future Smash games purely focusing on Nintendo history, even if that means we have to lose out on certain third party picks. Whilst I've always found it cool that crazy characters like Cloud, Joker and Steve got in, I feel like a lot of genuinely reasonable picks have kinda been shot down because of it - for instance, more obscure retro picks like Mach Rider, Sukapon and Takamaru, for instance, are at this point more of a pipe dream than characters like Dante and Scorpion.

I don't have a problem with it, so much as I think Smash needs to focus less on the pure big reveal aspect, and more on Nintendo - after all, characters like Byleth and Min Min could have been received way better if the timing had been better.

The argument of "you don't want third parties!" isn't true either - I just think third parties should focus more on Nintendo history, like Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man to an extent, and so on.

Felixman128

Smash Rookie
Here's mine.... uh oh XD

1. I don't think Waluigi really deserves to be in Smash
2. Characters that are video game forms of characters that don't originate from games (example: Epic Mickey) should be allowed in
3. Ultimate had a lot of throwaway characters for me
4. Melee is overrated
5. Piranha Plant is cool but didn't need to be a character
6. Spirit battles are an awesome concept that I would like to see return
7. Popular game characters (like The Imposter, Freddy Fazbear, Boyfriend, Tracer, Fortnite skins) shouldn't get in unless they have a legacy or significant impact on gaming history (example: Steve) as I feel it pollutes what is otherwise a game about characters with longstanding legacies or appeal outside of the Internet
8. DR. MARIO IS THE COOLER VERSION OF MARIO (sorry I'm passionate on this one)
9. Pikmin and Sonic need more reps (not an unpopular opinion, but one I wanted to share)

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
People are too harsh on the idea of kindergarten characters getting in (both for Smash and NASB). I find it weird the animosity I usually get when bringing up the idea of it (not even saying it "should happen", just saying "yo what if..."), despite there being some huge potential in these characters (imagine Duck Hunt's third person with the zapper gimmick, but times 11, because most of the time these characters directly interact with the player).

I'm not saying I particularly want characters like Dora in NASB or Putt-Putt in Smash, but I feel they get too much hate and not enough consideration.

Aligo

Smash Ace
The scariest pokeball in melee. He did so much damage.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The scariest pokeball in melee. He did so much damage.
Try Moltres, that flammable bird never was that special in the Pokemon games (especially for a legendary) but always seems to deliver the hardest knock back of every PokeBall Pokemon summon.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Try Moltres, that flammable bird never was that special in the Pokemon games (especially for a legendary) but always seems to deliver the hardest knock back of every PokeBall Pokemon summon.
Yeah but no one ever gets hit by moltres, Scizor charged you like a madman while yelling 'SCEEZOR!'. Good times were those melee Pokémon.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Fighter's Pass 1 > Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC (including Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy's return) > Fighter's Pass 2.

That's not to say FP2 is bad or anything, but the characters in both Smash for's DLC and FP1 appealed to me more than those in FP2 from both an identity and gameplay perspective.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Seemingly this is a unpopular opinion?
Kirby should be able to wield the Keyblade! considering he can wield the Mastersword, Falchion and monado there is zero reasosns why he cant create his own keyblade after absorbing Sora! He is stated to have infinite Power AND a pure heart!
So i dont know if that counts but if a Character was planned as A game character but got adapted into something else because of a lack of resources but got a game later he should count as a Videogame Character!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seemingly this is a unpopular opinion?
Kirby should be able to wield the Keyblade! considering he can wield the Mastersword, Falchion and monado there is zero reasosns why he cant create his own keyblade after absorbing Sora! He is stated to have infinite Power AND a pure heart!
So i dont know if that counts but if a Character was planned as A game character but got adapted into something else because of a lack of resources but got a game later he should count as a Videogame Character!
well for a start he doesnt wield the master sword he gets the bow. or boomerang. second each of those weapons have different rules for who can wield them. falchion can only be used by a certain bloodline so if kirby mimics them it makes a sort of sense. monado is more complicated. the power to use a keyblade has to be inherited and simply coping another's powers. more to the point the keyblade choses its owner and even if kirby did get the power he wouldnt instantly get one and he wouldnt get soras. bare in mind it took sora 10 years to get his keyblade. soras keyblade can appear in multiple places at once but only for those who are very much connected to him as with roxas and xion. more to the point smash is completely non canon so the lore of both KH and kirby dont matter.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
well for a start he doesnt wield the master sword he gets the bow. or boomerang. second each of those weapons have different rules for who can wield them. falchion can only be used by a certain bloodline so if kirby mimics them it makes a sort of sense. monado is more complicated. the power to use a keyblade has to be inherited and simply coping another's powers. more to the point the keyblade choses its owner and even if kirby did get the power he wouldnt instantly get one and he wouldnt get soras. bare in mind it took sora 10 years to get his keyblade. soras keyblade can appear in multiple places at once but only for those who are very much connected to him as with roxas and xion. more to the point smash is completely non canon so the lore of both KH and kirby dont matter.
You do know that i already know that?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
if you did you wouldnt make a post where it sounds like you dont
So if you can create Swords that can only be used by one/spcific Person/People than that should apply for any sword of this kind! also you do know that kirby uses basically his own master sword for his normal sword ability!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So if you can create Swords that can only be used by one/spcific Person/People than that should apply for any sword of this kind! also you do know that kirby uses basically his own master sword for his normal sword ability!
he doesnt though does he uses imitations. and the sword he uses from the sword ability isnt the master sword in any way shape or form so you cant use it for your argument when it has none of the lore of rules about it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
he doesnt though does he uses imitations. and the sword he uses from the sword ability isnt the master sword in any way shape or form so you cant use it for your argument when it has none of the lore of rules about it.
It has all the abilitys of links swords like Sword beams with full health and Spinattacks so im pretty sure link can copy the master sword!

Also im not saying kirbys keyblade needs to look exactly like soras afterall kirbys weapons always look somewhat diffrent to the enemys he copied! But im sure Keyblade would be diffrent Enough from "sword" to give kirby his own keyblde!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It has all the abilitys of links swords like Sword beams with full health and Spinattacks so im pretty sure link can copy the master sword!

Also im not saying kirbys keyblade needs to look exactly like soras afterall kirbys weapons always look somewhat diffrent to the enemys he copied! But im sure Keyblade would be diffrent Enough from "sword" to give kirby his own keyblde!
no cause the master sword doesn’t exist in Kirbys world so he can’t copy it. It is what we refer to as a reference. It’s not the same as actually having the thing

so? There’s nothing in KH Kirby or smash lore that says Kirby should have a keyblade

Oracle Link

Smash Master
no cause the master sword doesn’t exist in Kirbys world so he can’t copy it. It is what we refer to as a reference. It’s not the same as actually having the thing

so? There’s nothing in KH Kirby or smash lore that says Kirby should have a keyblade
Can we please stop disscussing also plaese dont answer to this or the post in the splatoon thread! Disscusing on this site gets so guickly annoying!
Please let us stop here please! im tired! it is 21:17 on my end now i rather watch netflix than get some drama now!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can we please stop disscussing also plaese dont answer to this or the post in the splatoon thread! Disscusing on this site gets so guickly annoying!
Please let us stop here please! im tired! it is 21:17 on my end now i rather watch netflix than get some drama now!
well if you can’t have a discussion on forcing two different lores into a canon where they don’t matter without getting upset that’s on you

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I don't think the argument of "THIS SERIES IS OVERREPRESENTED" should be used to completely shut down characters.

A good example of this to me is Kamek, where people often suggest "But we don't need any more Mario characters" (despite being a Yoshi rep lol) but personally, I've always believed that the best way to work out if a character "deserves" to be in Smash is simply if they're actually fun to play.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally, I don't think the argument of "THIS SERIES IS OVERREPRESENTED" should be used to completely shut down characters.

A good example of this to me is Kamek, where people often suggest "But we don't need any more Mario characters" (despite being a Yoshi rep lol) but personally, I've always believed that the best way to work out if a character "deserves" to be in Smash is simply if they're actually fun to play.
be fair kamek does appear in both a could be a representative of either

Top Bottom