• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Lenidem

Smash Lord
K.Rool was massively requested, didn't you notice ? Lucas is a beloved veteran, and MOTHER 3 was supposed to be an international release, or at least Sakurai thought. Fire Emblem is a now we'll established franchise in the West, with more games released internationally than as Japan exclusives.

Those aren't good examples lol
That's exactly what I'm saying: those characters have pros, and since they're already in, you consider that those pros outpass the cons. Should Tingle become the next "Zelda rep", people would put the fact that he's the only one with his own franchise or the fact that he was basically a player two in Wind Waker above all the cons.

And the fact that Fire Emblem is now well established in the West has nothing to do with Roy and Marth being in Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's exactly what I'm saying: those characters have pros, and since they're already in, you consider that those pros outpass the cons. Should Tingle become the next "Zelda rep", people would put the fact that he's the only one with his own franchise or the fact that he was basically a player two in Wind Waker above all the cons.

And the fact that Fire Emblem is now well established in the West has nothing to do with Roy and Marth being in Melee.
Player 2 in Wind Waker through an obscure GBA link cable function that wasn't worth your time yeah... 😅 It's not a good comparison really.

Besides, Roy's game was also planned for international release, but FE6 was deemed too difficult for western standards (it really is), and Marth is the earliest protagonist of the franchise.

I don't think you picked good characters to compare Tingle with. Impa has way more merritt over Tingle, you just prefer Tingle, and that's fine.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
-Cap Falcon is a corny character that gets gassed up for no reason
-Waluigi is wack
-Geno is just a bandwagon, I’d be willing to be most people haven’t even player SMRPG

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Player 2 in Wind Waker through an obscure GBA link cable function that wasn't worth your time yeah... 😅 It's not a good comparison really.

Besides, Roy's game was also planned for international release, but FE6 was deemed too difficult for western standards (it really is), and Marth is the earliest protagonist of the franchise.

I don't think you picked good characters to compare Tingle with. Impa has way more merritt over Tingle, you just prefer Tingle, and that's fine.
You really don't get my point. I'm not saying the fact that Tingle was a player two is a good reason for him to be included per se. I'm saying most people would use this argument, among others, to justify his inclusion a posteriori. And you conveniently forget the strongest argument, "he's the star of his own franchise", which makes me doubt your sincerity.

Ok, let's forget Roy. Marth was still included in Melee despite the fact that he had never left Japan before, and wasn't planned to, right? So there you are: you pretend that "Japan only" is not a problem for a character because [argument] ; but you counter the arguments in favor of Tingle because he is "Japan only"...

Impa has way more merritt over Tingle
That's not a fact.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
TBH I think Shadow would be fine as an echo. People act like it’s blasphemous for the character to be something besides a completely original character from Sonic, but I disagree. A completely new moveset could work, but making him an echo would be fine
Yeah i think the same could also aplly to Tails!
Well, technically, the guy who hosts the mini-game with the hookshot is supposed to be a Twilight Princess version of Tingle, if I remember well. And I agree with Champion of Hyrule. Lots of characters are already in despite Tingle's cons : K. Rool has not appeared in a DK game since forever, Mother 3 never left Japan and yet we have Lucas, nobody in Europe and America knew about Fire Emblem when Melee arrived, and we could continue.

The thing is, whenever a character gets in, we find reasons why he was inevitable, or at least we are suddenly convinced that the pros were "obviously" more important than the cons. I'm sure it would be the same with Tingle. If he ever becomes playable, the vast majority of fans will think that it makes total sense.
When it comes to Tingle i have nothing against Him being in but Impa, Skullkid or Vaati should be in before him!

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy here we go

• I'm ok with the idea that the next smash could cut roster spots for new characters
  • If smash 6 cut all 3rd party characters the only one I'd miss would be Banjo & Kazooie
  • Ken and Richter should not have been in the base roster
  • I'm glad Min Min got in instead of the lady with the hair from a game called Arms.
  • I wish the DLC had more 1st/2nd party reps
  • I don't think every franchise represented needs an additional rep (Earthbound, Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda - and I love these franchises)

I got more but I don't want to get all worked up

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Here's a few:

:ultbanjokazooie: plays fine. Just because a character feels like they should have been in the base roster or they don't have a special gimmick doesn't mean they're bad.

I don't think Crash is as likely or as hype as most do. Being a gaming icon doesn't equate to a lock, smashers.

Zelda has enough reps.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I don’t know if I posted it here or not, but I feel like a lot of Smash fans don’t understand the point of an echo fighter. It’s to free up development time and add a new character without needing to put in effort for a moveset. They’re easy to implement, and since Smash is a crossover game it’s good to have as many characters as possible.

So when people say a 100% new character should have gotten in instead of an echo, I don’t think they understand what an echo even is. I’ve seen a few people say, for example, Chun-Li should have gotten in over Ken or Waluigi should have gotten in over Daisy. That would probably be true, if the team had unlimited development time. But they don’t, and we should probably be a little reasonable here.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
-i think same character clone but different version shouldnt become playable such as :ultdoc::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: the reason being there are better choices for clones than adding the same character again for example i would rather have Ninten, Black Shadow and Black Knight as the clones instead of them.

-Black Mage, Kefka and Jack Frost are better picks than :ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultjoker:

-:ultsimon::ultolimar: should have gotten the :ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2::ulthero: treatment for alt

-i would prefer if :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf: became its own character and have moveset which they could fight on their own using the pokemon items sounds crazy but it could work and keep :ultcharizard::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle: as seperate characters

-If we are getting a Disney content into smash i would rather have Club penguin rep before Sora

-Cosplay Pikachu deserve more than just Libre alt, other outfit for the cosplay Pikachu should be included as well

-Sukapon should be playable since smash 64 instead of :ultjigglypuff:

-Smash 3DS wasted so much development time and the game didnt age well

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another one:

- I really don’t get the obsession with the “last X all star” logic. Especially the “last remaining NES all stars” like Hayabusa and the guys from Contra. Idk but to me, when you say it like that, you make it sound like some kinda obligatory quota Sakurai has to fill. He adds whomever he wants. Also, why focus on the NES generation when the DS generation still has an underwhelming ONE rep with Lucario?? 😭 maybe it’s cuz I didn’t grow up in the NES era, my first experience with Nintendo was the SNES and I grew up preferring the 2000s game eras (PS2, GC, DS) and there is one game I’m really fond of on the Wii U of all systems that I hope gets representation one day but that’s beside the point. I’m just saying that kinda logic seems a bit... pushy, to me.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Ok here we go:

-Anime aesthetics are fine in my book

-Swords are cool, gimme more while you are at it

-Kinda redundant but JRPG characters are neat and perfectly suited for a game like this, most FE fighters are fun to play as well

-Glad Min Min got in over Twintelle because let's be honest, we all know why people wanted the latter

-Shadow should be his own character, it actually shocked me when I saw how the echo fighter idea seemed to become a general consensus even after the inclusion of Sephiroth and the countless Smash fangames/mods that have spawned over the years, which have given Shadow his own moveset.

-Sephiroth was by far the best Square Enix rep they could've chosen, and was hella underrated/requested prior to his inclusion

-Stance characters shouldn't be a thing, I want them all to be their own fighter or bust, the Pokémon Trainer could actually fight on his own now considering how many wacky characters are in the game like Isabelle or G&W. Heck even alts kinda rub me the wrong way, to the point I feel uncomfortable when playing as Alph or the Koopalings.

-Fighting game characters are often overlooked or underrated by the Smash community, how cool would it be to have someone like Morrigan or Heihachi in the game. Put Fulgore or Nightmare if you wanna go a little more niche as well.

-Solo game content is fine in this game, and most people don't even play it that many times aside from the first. Just look at what happened to Home-Run, the mode almost nobody knows it exists anymore.

-Pyra and Mythra probably were the most fun additions in terms of 1st party representation

-Galacta Knight > Bandana Dee imo, at least in terms of hype or epicness

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't mind that WoL doesn't have much of a plot besides saving fighters and killing the big bad guy. With all the love poured into it already, along with how different each location and Spirit Battle is, I think it's a better story mode than Subspace for one reason: you actually visit locations based on the series represented in Smash.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Waluigi is overrated. Nothing but a character from the spin-off Mario sports games.

Even Daisy had appeared in mainline Mario games like Super Mario Run. Piranha also earning his spot more being one of Mario's most iconic enemies that has appeared in almost all the mainline games.

Also don't get the appeal of Geno and Sora. Geno being nothing but a side character from an over 25-year-old game and Sora who is a poorly written gary-stu from glorified Disney and Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Sonic's moveset is mostly fine. The only thing I'd do different is probably change Side B to the Fire Somersault from SA2, and you could cancel it into the Skid Attack from Sonic Advanced.

Not sure how unpopular this opinion is actually. 🤔 lol I just see a lot of people saying his moveset needs a drastic overhaul.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Sonic's moveset is mostly fine. The only thing I'd do different is probably change Side B to the Fire Somersault from SA2, and you could cancel it into the Skid Attack from Sonic Advanced.

Not sure how unpopular this opinion is actually. 🤔 lol I just see a lot of people saying his moveset needs a drastic overhaul.
Yeah i agree i even think giving him some of his spindash attacks back! But of course only one spindash special!

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I think that Ultimate will probably become the next “Melee” since it’s highly likely that characters are getting cut next game (I’m saying 40+, but hopefully I’m wrong when the time comes), and I’m unsure we’ll ever get a roster of this size again let alone another Everyone is Here. With the roster decreasing in size, I can see some fans sticking to Ultimate and creating a community similar to Melee, even if I asssume that most players move onto the next game since it’s the new entry like Sword and Shield.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think that Ultimate will probably become the next “Melee” since it’s highly likely that characters are getting cut next game (I’m saying 40+, but hopefully I’m wrong when the time comes), and I’m unsure we’ll ever get a roster of this size again let alone another Everyone is Here. With the roster decreasing in size, I can see some fans sticking to Ultimate and creating a community similar to Melee, even if I asssume that most players move onto the next game since it’s the new entry like Sword and Shield.
I dont think the roster would shrink but yeah another everyone is here is 99,9999% unlikley!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I genuinely don't see the point in releasing boss arenas as standalone stages. They were made for the bosses and nothing else.

Also no offense Rie but I also don't care for the idea of light and dark puppet fighter effects as skins
I think the problem with boss stages is that some of them (Ganon, Marx and maybe robot dude) are areas not represented through Normal stages after alll i never hear people ask for the Dracula boss stage!

volbound1700

Smash Master
For third party, I think the character should have more than 2 titles (that they appear in) on an NES system in order to be added to the DLC pack.

I liked having platforming characters similar to Mario in the game and want to keep adding them (natural fits would have been Bomberman, Crash, and Rayman). I mean it is Super Smash Brothers, a pun on Mario Brothers.

Brawl was a very good Smash game. It wasn't designed to be competitive but rather to be a time waster like Mario Kart.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Sonic will forever be unplayable for me outside of Brawl until they get Roger Craig Smith to say "You're too slow!" for his side taunt. I will not budge on this. huffy face emoji

Glad Min Min got in over Twintelle because let's be honest, we all know why people wanted the latter
Okay fine, you've caught me; I wanted an ARMS character whose "ARMS" were physically separate from their anatomical arms to be the smash rep for ARMS. I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids "Fortnite streamers".
-Fighting game characters are often overlooked or underrated by the Smash community, how cool would it be to have someone like Morrigan or Heihachi in the game. Put Fulgore or Nightmare if you wanna go a little more niche as well.
Morrigan and/or Nightmare? Yes, please!

Also...

Tekken Fans: "We want Heihachi in Smash"
Nintendo @ E3 2021:
sakurai @ e3 be like.jpg

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Shadow would be a bad choice for a new sonic Rep!

And tauls could be a Sonic echo!
Oh and tails too ;P

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I don’t think I’ve seen this yet, but I think a Justin Bailey version of Samus would’ve worked well as a Melee clone (if I was the developer, I would have had her take Ganondorf’s spot in Melee, so he can take Zero Suit’s spot in Brawl as a unique fighter).

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
A. There are in fact too many characters in Smash now. It takes me far too long to find who I want to play as on the select screen. Plus Ultimate had to sacrifice a lot to delicate enough resources to that many characters: no trophies or custom movesets or even Break the Targets. Hell we had to wait for Homerun to come back. I honestly do want the next game to have a smaller roster that does more with said roster: give the fighters more alternate costumes or character-specific BTT again.

B. I want Custom moves back. Not as they were in SSB4, mind you. The original implementation was terrible, the options were too basic & the acquisition of them too long & RNG dependent. Make it less of a timesink & more flexible in how movesets are customized. Maybe instead of a specific number of alternate moves, the player has varibles that could be applied to any move, like adding more weight or adding an elemental effect or something. Frankly it would be great for what veterans do return if they were given a top to bottom overhaul in how they play. There is a potential with this concept that SSB4 didn't fully realize.

That said, I hated how the community just immediately dismissed the very concept of variable movesets from the start. "Oh no, we can't have customs because I won't know what my opponent will do!" Hey hypothetical strawmen, your opponent is just as in the dark about your loadout, you're both on equal footing there! Being able to adapt to surprises is part of getting good at Smash.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
A. There are in fact too many characters in Smash now. It takes me far too long to find who I want to play as on the select screen. Plus Ultimate had to sacrifice a lot to delicate enough resources to that many characters: no trophies or custom movesets or even Break the Targets. Hell we had to wait for Homerun to come back. I honestly do want the next game to have a smaller roster that does more with said roster: give the fighters more alternate costumes or character-specific BTT again.

B. I want Custom moves back. Not as they were in SSB4, mind you. The original implementation was terrible, the options were too basic & the acquisition of them too long & RNG dependent. Make it less of a timesink & more flexible in how movesets are customized. Maybe instead of a specific number of alternate moves, the player has varibles that could be applied to any move, like adding more weight or adding an elemental effect or something. Frankly it would be great for what veterans do return if they were given a top to bottom overhaul in how they play. There is a potential with this concept that SSB4 didn't fully realize.

That said, I hated how the community just immediately dismissed the very concept of variable movesets from the start. "Oh no, we can't have customs because I won't know what my opponent will do!" Hey hypothetical strawmen, your opponent is just as in the dark about your loadout, you're both on equal footing there! Being able to adapt to surprises is part of getting good at Smash.
A I somewhat agree although i think most people want to cut faaar to many chars having something in between wii u and ultimate would fit the best!

B Yes defintly some Chars like Young link get obsoulete thanks to Custom Moves

And yeah the smash community seems to dislike having nice things like custom moves, miis or a Normal smash sequel!

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Please note the reason i post here is because i think these two issues are the biggest issues with SSBU & i don't think they get talked about enough.

honestly my main complaints are

1 many of the playable fighters' move-set(s) make a disastrous & ineffective play-style.
2 My other big complaint is most of the ( arenas / stages ) are not fun to play on.

numbered Examples
1.1 is how Yoshi's Side Special is quite fully useless and generally does not improve his gameplay.
1.2 Corrin, Belmonts, Bowser, Ridley, & ZSS, all have a down air which if used incorrectly results in a SD / lost stock.
1.2.1 Bowser, Yoshi, all have a down special which if used incorrectly could actual result in a SD / lost stock.
1.3 Zelda's forward air being useless 98% of the time makes her a snooze-fest to play even powered up with a powerful spirit.
1.4 these characters' move-sets really need an overhaul. ( Samus / Dark Samus & ZSS, Peach / Daisy, Pac-Man, Mario & Luigi, Ganondorf & Link )
1.4.1 these characters' move-sets really need a buffing update ( Zelda, Mii Gunner, Bulbasaur & Charizard, ? )
1.6 The heavies are bottom tier for sooo many reasons the three biggest are; ( they don't have ranged moves or their ranged moves lack any meaningful element of surprise ) ( Heavies' ground or air movement speed or both is usually strongly related to molasses. ) ( Heavies' recovery is terrible. )

2. generally the platforms are either to small to be useful or poorly placed. or the hazards are miserable & more reasons too not listed
2.1 Battlefield ( regular ) has 1 too many platforms; the top one
2.2 Hyrule castle ( tower portion )
2.3 Kongo Falls some platforms are too small
2.4 Jungle Japes the hazards are miserable
2.5 Brinstar the hazards are miserable

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’m glad everyone is here happened but tbh it makes some of the older games less interesting to go back to and I don’t have much reason to rediscover them, or at least not as much as other fighting games. The old modes like smash run or sse are good but not enough to really make me want to get back into an older game the same way I would for say, an old Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom game.

Top Bottom