• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Even in Melee, and even though I think there are too many Pokémons in Smash, I've never had anything against Pichu. He was bad and meant to be bad, yes. So what? He was cute and fun to play, and since he's a clone he didn't take much development time, unlike Greninja, Incinerora or Lucario.

Also, not sure how unpopular this is, but I love the Pokémon Trainer concept. It's probably a first generation biais, and I wish each Mon could also be played individually, but I love this concept and I think it's been very well done.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not sure why I'm being quoted in this thread, but...

:ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultcloud::ultryu::ultroy:i:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin:
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:

Certainly doesn't support 'less RPG.'
8 RPG characters and 6 non-RPG characters isn't that out of balance. It wouldn't be even if you took away :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy: (who are veterans), which would leave us with 5 RPG newcomers and 6 non-RPG newcomers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
8 RPG characters and 6 non-RPG characters isn't that out of balance. It wouldn't be even if you took away :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy: (who are veterans), which would leave us with 5 RPG newcomers and 6 non-RPG newcomers.
Over half is a lot, numerically.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Most of these are copy-pasted from the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread, with some alterations. Keep in mind that my 'unpopular opinions', like many I see on the Internet, aren't that unpopular.
  • Toad has been massively neglected in Smash. Even the community forgets about him: whenever anyone asks what people think the most important and recognisable Nintendo character not yet in Smash is, I see characters like Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee thrown around but never Toad.
  • An Echo Fighters Pass for Smash Ultimate would be a bad idea. I wouldn't be happy with the idea of paying extra money for fighters whose movesets are, for the most part, already in the base game. Fire Emblem Warriors did this for some of its DLC characters and got tons of flack for this (in addition to all its DLC characters already appearing as NPCs in the base game). Ironically, this is coming from someone whose current most wanted is Octoling, a character that would make a perfect Echo of Inkling. I'd say the possibility of a fully unique Octoling moveset is still out there... as is the possibility of them getting into an Echo Fighters Pass.
  • While I don't necessarily like their English voices, I prefer :ultmarth: and :ultroy: having English voices like in Ultimate, compared to being voiced in Japanese, simply because they have English voices in their series. It always felt weird that after Melee, they retained their Japanese voices in all regions, even though Fire Emblem had since been established in the West and even the other FE characters were voiced in English. :ultcloud: has no excuse either now that he has a new English VA in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
  • I liked World of Light's concept, being basically Event Matches but with some RPG-esque mechanics. People comparing it to The Subspace Emissary and calling it inferior as a result are unfairly judging it since it was deliberately made to be different from SSE.
  • Zoning can be pretty fun. I don't exactly know why, but something about being able to maximise the effectiveness of projectiles is oddly satisfying to me. It also helps that some zoners can be pretty decent up close in case they need to be, and can do cool stuff on the side (particularly :ultsamus:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultmegaman: and :ultpacman:). In addition, players who whine and complain about projectiles should stop. Play patiently, collect info on the opponent, find any patterns and abuse them when approaching. I'd recommend you pick up :ultwolf: for this as he has a reflector, a projectile of his own with transcendent priority, good air speed to get in and good punishes when he does.
  • L-cancelling doesn't make Melee's gameplay any more interesting (how much more impressed are spectators that players are pressing L after every aerial?) and I'm glad it was removed in future games. Ultimate's universally reduced landing lag is just better, even if I feel they went a bit overboard with the safety of aerials. On the other hand, wavedashing is fantastic and I am upset that it was removed from future games.
  • As flawed as many tier lists can be, I get annoyed by total tier list deniers. Some low tier mains seem to think that by denying the existence of tier lists (which are a result of no game being perfectly balanced), their main suddenly isn't bad because no character is bad or good. Hate to break it to you, but getting top players to stop making tier lists won't suddenly make :ultisabelle: as good as :ultpikachu:. There's also the classic 'just play who you want', which is a result of people interpreting a tier list as a ruleset declaring that people can only play high tiers and above; nothing is stopping them from just 'playing who they want' except themselves hammering this idea into their own brains. Finally, people take clips of low tier upsets at top level play as proof that tier lists are false, failing to realise those are very rare compared to high tiers winning. While they can achieve good results, it is much harder for them to do so compared to those higher up the list, which justifies their placement.
  • I love how small and grassroots the competitive Smash scene feels, at least at low level tournaments. Whenever I look at it, I find it extremely remarkable that a passionate community accomplished all of this without any major support from its publisher - and persevered when its publisher fought against them, and when some of their biggest contributors were exposed for horrible things. Admittedly, the lack of Nintendo support does become problematic at top level, where people are paid full-time to play this game as a sport, but Nintendo still technically don't 'owe' them anything as the players made all of this themselves.

I'll likely update this through edits or new posts.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Bringing this back

1. I prefer Paula as a Ness Echo over Ninten
2. I prefer Sceptile or Decidueye be the second Grass Type over Rillaboom (but Rillaboom would still be enjoyable)
3. I prefer Elma be the second Xenobalde Rep over Rex and Pyra
4. I love the traveling stages (3D Land and Mushroomy Kingdom especially)

That is all for now

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
All the villains are competent. He really isn't.
Dr. Eggman?... Incompetent?... he has a supposed I.Q. of 300. People can be arraigned by others as incompetent by intelligence alone when measured using popular scales. I mean, consider how over the Sonic series, D.r. Eggman has been designing and building his own army and weapons, and who is helping him?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All the villains are competent. He really isn't.
I think you're mistaking Eggman's comedic qualities as incompetence.

Even in modern games where he's the most hilarious goofy, he's still a major threat. If Sonic didn't step in and stop him, the world would be in huge trouble. Heck the last mainline game had Eggman take over 99% of the earth, enslave its population and almost destroy it with a sun. That's really scary when you take it out of a cartoony context.

Just because a villain has moments of failure and hilarity doesn't make them incompetent. Otherwise we wouldn't even have Bowser.

Besides, even if Eggman was incompetent, why is that bad? As long as he's a fun character, there is value to him. How do you think Waluigi got so popular? He does nothing but fail and we LOVE him.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are some additional opinions:
While he doesn’t seem that interesting to me as an SSB fighter despite being my favorite Mario character, I’m shocked that Toad isn’t highly requested since the SSB fanbase seems to emphasize hype and legacy, which are two things that Toad has (I’m confident that a lot of casual fans would like his inclusion).
Relating to the roster, there isn’t a strict formula to character additions. Some are from legacy like Bowser, Wario, Villager, others are relevancy/promotion with Lucario, Ike, Greninja, Byleth, they can be requests like Bowser and Wario again, Little Mac, Ridley, K. Rool, some are easy to make like Jigglypuff, Roy, Wolf, Richter, or they are just fun to play as like Ice Climbers, Sheik, and Robin.
I think fan rules can be a useful way to keep some expectations in moderation (eg not expecting the last DLC fighters all being AT promotions), but they aren’t super strict rules that must be followed (eg Sephiroth being the second unique fighter for a third party franchise).

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
  • The Subspace Emissary is the best feature in any Smash Bros. game.
  • All clones/echoes should either be cut entirely, turned into alts or (ideally) de-cloned.
  • Toon Link > Young Link
  • Piranha Plant was not a terrible addition.
  • Banjo and Kazooie are the highlight of the DLC, followed closely by Sephiroth.
  • Nana, Kazooie and all female alts (Wendy, fem!Robin, etc) absolutely "count" as playable female characters.
  • I know I'm raging against capitalism here, but Nintendo/Sakurai shouldn't add new characters just to promote new games. Wait and see if people actually like them first.
  • Several characters would be better off as assist trophies, not because I don't like them, but because that would be a more accurate way to represent them or their games (won't say who to avoid dissing anyone's favorites).
  • Norfair is a terrible stage.
  • Jungle Hijinxs was a cool stage and I'd much rather have that than the Stage Morph feature.
  • The Stage Builder was great in Brawl and terrible in Smash 4 and Ultimate.
  • I don't know why people think the next Smash either has to bring everyone back again or cut the roster down to Melee size. There's a middle ground, guys.
  • First-party characters are not "less hype" than third-party characters, and there are plenty of big-name Nintendo characters that aren't playable yet.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
  • Norfair is a terrible stage.
Is this unpopular? It's absolutely awful to play on if hazards are on, and even with them off it's just all platforms. No space for neutral. If it's unpopular to dislike Norfair, well then it's an unpopular opinion of mine as well. One of the biggest groaners if I'm playing Classic and it shows up, for sure!

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Ultimate is a bad game both competitively and casually. Single-player content is lackluster with no replayable value and don't get me started on the terrible online.

One thing I can give Ultimate though is that the sheer amount of content (as in characters, stages, music etc.), fan service and references is absolutely mind-boggling and crazy. We are definitely spoiled in this regard, no doubt.

Though, Ultimate is a prime example of "quantity over quality" and fails flat on so many other areas.

All in all, I don't view Ultimate as a good game. Not that fun casually, not that good competitively, single-player content is lackluster and awful (WoL was just miserable) and online is just terrible, especially in this day and age. Game is a 4/10 for me.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Brawl is underrated and has the best theme song.

:ultjigglypuff: Should have been cut after 64.

Smash needs waaaaayyy more bosses.
Ultimate should be ported to the next console (more of a 50/50 opinion).
:ultlucario: Is the worst designed character in the series, they’re gimick fundamentally opposes the main philosophy of Smash, don’t get hit.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
they’re gimick fundamentally opposes the main philosophy of Smash, don’t get hit.
Hold on a second; if "don’t get hit" is the "main philosophy" of Smash, shouldn't the opponent follow this philosophy as well?

I don't mean to be rude, but, uh...last I remembered, the "main philosophy" of Smash is to launch the opponents of the stage.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Hold on a second; if "don’t get hit" is the "main philosophy" of Smash, shouldn't the opponent follow this philosophy as well?

I don't mean to be rude, but, uh...last I remembered, the "main philosophy" of Smash is to launch the opponents of the stage.
Yeah, thats the idea for both players. Don’t get hit, hit the other person. Lucario actively profits from getting hit, and thus fundamentally hurts the game’s design philosophy.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think it's like a more holistic take on, say, Incineroar's Revenge. The more punishment Lucario takes, the more he can dish out. I think that just incentivizes the other person to try to KO him as soon as possible, which can be exploited for mind games. I don't really see it as a problem.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think it's like a more holistic take on, say, Incineroar's Revenge. The more punishment Lucario takes, the more he can dish out. I think that just incentivizes the other person to try to KO him as soon as possible, which can be exploited for mind games. I don't really see it as a problem.
Difference Incineroars revenge requires you to predict the attack and makes you vulnerable if you miss. And KOing your opponent as soon as possible is like the point of fighting games.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I guess. I'm not a huge Lucario defender or anything, I just don't think the boost you get from high damage is greater than the risk. You could also see it as a reward for surviving that long. idk

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’d prefer a map from the original Sonic Adventure over Sonic Adventure 2.
I’m open to a Fortnite or CoD rep.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Final Destination should have more stuff going on, as long as it doesn't affect the fight. Imagine if Master Hand and Crazy Hand were flying around, clapping when there's a KO, stuff like that. Make the stage more visually interesting without interfering with its simplicity.

Top Bottom