• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
When did Impa get a fanbase, out of curiosity? Was it Hyrule Warriors? Did she have a big role in BotW/Skyward Sword or something?
I feel that her being a main character in Hyrule Warriors really showed people that she was bigger than they expected as she has been in multiple titles acting as Zelda’s protector.

She has main character status roles in Ocarina and Skyward Sword and of course Hyrule Warriors.

She also played smaller roles in BOTW, Twilight Princess, and quite a few other games.

I think her popularity steams from a realization of importance to the series brough on by Warriors, plus the Zelda community’s want for a new protagonist, and since Impa is one of the few outside the main 3 to appear in more than one title, actually having more appearances than any side character, most have started to view her as the 4th main character.

Donkey Kong is still far under-repped.
Add Dixie and it’d be fine. Maybe a Funky echo, just saying!

Strange...I always felt Lucina would be among that'd actually stay. I don't know why honestly...
Lucian and Chrom are essentially the mascots of FE at this point, so if we are going by the idea that a shortened roster would only have the ‘important’ characters, than Marth, Chrom, and Lucinda would be fine as IS uses them to promote FE, plus Awakening was many’s first game.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Impa was even in the infamous CDi Zelda games!

So Dixie fans, would you hypothetically take Dixie if she was a Chrom-level echo (one different move) of Diddy, or would you rather she be unique?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Impa was even in the infamous CDi Zelda games!

So Dixie fans, would you hypothetically take Dixie if she was a Chrom-level echo (one different move) of Diddy, or would you rather she be unique?
I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as it gets her in.

I don't want to wait for a decade just to "maybe" get Dixie as a unique fighter.

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
New unpopular opinion: I think banning a stage simply for being "Too similar to Battlefield/Final Destination" is probably the dumbest reasoning to ban a stage, and probably one of the dumbest rulings in competitive play's history as a whole. I can understand lag and framerate as a reason like for Fountain of Dreams, but just cause it's just like the universally legal stages just screams pointless to me.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Donkey Kong doesn't keep characters for more than one game. It's the series' own fault it doesn't have anyone important or iconic enough to include. Cranky and Funky have been around for a while but only recently got any playable entries.

Dixie has nostalgia credit, and that's all. I wouldn't mind her being a Diddy echo. She doesn't deserve her own character slot.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
This might not be unpopular, but I think nintendo should open up the game to be totally and easily moddable,

and able to save settings and even share them to easily play with modded settings with others.
Skins would probably be more complicated, but that should be easily done too :)
To be fair I get the feeling trying to get all third-parties to sign off on something like that would be near impossible. I do wish we could have our costume designer and workshop, but you know Nintendo.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong doesn't keep characters for more than one game. It's the series' own fault it doesn't have anyone important or iconic enough to include. Cranky and Funky have been around for a while but only recently got any playable entries.

Dixie has nostalgia credit, and that's all. I wouldn't mind her being a Diddy echo. She doesn't deserve her own character slot.
DK is playable in 3 games, Diddy is playable in 4 games, Dixie is playable in 3 games, Cranky is playable in 1 game, Funky is playable in 1 game, and Kiddy is playable in 1 game, and this is out of 5 games.

Dixie is pretty much just as important as DK, having her own game just like DK and Diddy. She definitely has more than just nostalgia credit.
The animal buddies as one character is also potentially something.

However, what DK needs most of is more non-character representation.
It needs more stages, we only have three and they're both from the first 3 games. There are plenty of iconic locations that have stage potential, like the Bramble mazes from DKC2, Walkways from DKC, Aquatic Stages from DKC, and the swamps from DKC2.
It needs a better music selection, right now we half the DK music is the same 2 songs but different versions. There are lots of timeless tracks currently missing, plus, we don't even have any real Tropical Freeze tracks.
In Ultimate, DKC is pretty good in terms of spirits. The only thing it really needs it maybe a few more of the more-iconic enemies. Also, why the heck did they use Kritter's barrel blast art and not his DKC art?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Dixie is pretty much just as important as DK, having her own game just like DK and Diddy.
I'm gonna be honest, I forgot DKC3 existed. But, you're right in that Dixie is indeed a more notable character than all of the one-off Kongs, at least. I'd say the only significant DK character not yet in the game.

But y'know, having 3/4 of your series' important characters in Smash isn't such a bad ratio. I'd say that's above average.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be honest, I forgot DKC3 existed. But, you're right in that Dixie is indeed a more notable character than all of the one-off Kongs, at least. I'd say the only significant DK character not yet in the game.

But y'know, having 3/4 of your series' important characters in Smash isn't such a bad ratio. I'd say that's above average.
I would say that it is worse to have only 3/4 as you feel a sense of incompleteness. This is why Bandana Dee, Dixie, Toad/Captain Toad/ Toadette, and even Impa not being in Smash is odd as it feels like you just need one more and group would be together. To put it in perspective, imagine having 3/4 of the Star Fox crew. They are all important characters of Nintendo’s biggest and highest selling franchises, yet are nowhere to be found.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nah. You're expecting way too much. Be happy with what you have. You won't have it next game.
You do have to wonder if people overestimated how many bosses would be present in Ultimate as well. I mean, how would people feel if the following turned out to be the final boss amount?
  1. Master Hand
  2. Crazy Hand
  3. Master Core
  4. Galeem
  5. Dharkon
  6. Galleom
  7. Duon
  8. Giga Bowser
  9. Demon King Ganon
  10. Ridley (Other M)
  11. Marx / Marx Soul
  12. Rayquaza / Mega Rayquaza
  13. Porky
  14. Metal Face
  15. Dr. Wily
  16. Egg Dragoon
  17. Dracula
  18. Rathalos

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The fact that Brawl, an 11 year old game is the only installment in the series that has a Boss Rush while 4 and Ultimate don’t will never not be embarrassing.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I didn't expect any bosses. Why would you? I don't think Smash 4 even had Giga Bowser as a boss, did it?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I didn't expect any bosses. Why would you? I don't think Smash 4 even had Giga Bowser as a boss, did it?
The funny thing is, of all the bosses who exist, Giga Bowser is the only one to have a fighter ID; this also makes him the only fully playable boss.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The funny thing is, of all the bosses who exist, Giga Bowser is the only one to have a fighter ID; this also makes him the only fully playable boss.
Spoilers for world of light and smash 64:

what about master hand in 64 through that plug in the fourth control glitch and master Hand at the end of world of light?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You do have to wonder if people overestimated how many bosses would be present in Ultimate as well. I mean, how would people feel if the following turned out to be the final boss amount?
  1. Master Hand
  2. Crazy Hand
  3. Master Core
  4. Galeem
  5. Dharkon
  6. Galleom
  7. Duon
  8. Giga Bowser
  9. Demon King Ganon
  10. Ridley (Other M)
  11. Marx / Marx Soul
  13. Porky
  14. Metal Face
  15. Dr. Wily
  16. Egg Dragoon
  17. Dracula
  18. Rathalos
Not gonna lie, I'd actually be less happy with this boss line-up. Eighteen bosses would make the lack of a Fire Emblem boss stick out even more.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
  1. Master Hand
  2. Crazy Hand
  3. Master Core
  4. Galeem
  5. Dharkon
  6. Galleom
  7. Duon
  8. Giga Bowser
  9. Demon King Ganon
  10. Ridley (Other M)
  11. Marx / Marx Soul
  13. Porky
  14. Metal Face
  15. Dr. Wily
  16. Egg Dragoon
  17. Dracula
  18. Rathalos
Add Andross in there and this would be the optimal boss roster for the base game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have little to no hope left for first party newcomers. Even Pokémon and Fire Emblem will most likely be left out until next game.

Also, I didn’t buy Piranha Plant because I still don’t think he’s a great decision as a playable character.

Seemingly contradicting myself here, I DO appreciate what new opportunities are now possible thanks to the inclusion of Piranha Plant.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I have little to no hope left for first party newcomers. Even Pokémon and Fire Emblem will most likely be left out until next game.

Also, I didn’t buy Piranha Plant because I still don’t think he’s a great decision as a playable character.

Seemingly contradicting myself here, I DO appreciate what new opportunities are now possible thanks to the inclusion of Piranha Plant.
I will not buy Piranha Plant either, for the same reason.
And this opportunities are...?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I will not buy Piranha Plant either, for the same reason.
And this opportunities are...?
Character importance is much less of a factor. You can't really argue that Bandana Dee or whatever is just a goomba with a hat when we have a nameless common obstacle that barely quantifies as an enemy, much less a character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What makes Piranha Plant feel like a needle in a haystack is simply the fact that it's a generic enemy who has had absolutely no playable involvement in any Super Mario title; mainstream AND spin-off. It's basically the new joke character in the whole Smash Bros. roster.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What makes Piranha Plant feel like a needle in a haystack is simply the fact that it's a generic enemy who has had absolutely no playable involvement in any Super Mario title; mainstream AND spin-off. It's basically the new joke character in the whole Smash Bros. roster.
I'm guesing that was the intention: for Plant to be this installment's joke fighter.

This might not be unpopular, but I think nintendo should open up the game to be totally and easily moddable,

and able to save settings and even share them to easily play with modded settings with others.
Skins would probably be more complicated, but that should be easily done too :)
Oh my god, YES. I swear, I'd never ask for **** again if Nintendo suddenly gave out their full blessing to mods and fangames.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm guesing that was the intention: for Plant to be this installment's joke fighter.
Joke character? No. Sakurai doesn't do that anymore. And he only did it once two decades ago for a clone that is now treated like an actual character.
The left field/surprise choice? Yes.

The fact that it has a Guidance, in the character banner, and was revealed in a playable state pre-release makes me think it was intended for base roster but barely missed out due to time constraints. Hence the free for a limited time offer.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Idon, I get what you mean, but I think you are mistaking.

Piranha Plant would only 'open the door' to possibilities if there were many newcomers - and even then, it would just be a sign that developers are open to a certain kind of characters, a sign an nothing more. If they had wanted Bandana Dee or Toad, they would have put them directly. Beside, the argument 'PP is in so generic species have a shot' can easily be countered by 'but PP is a joke'. Truth is, it will probably stay the exception, the anomaly of the Smash roster, as it was meant to be.

I actually think that Piranha Plant lowers the chances of Toad, Bandana Dee, and basically everyone, just by being there. There were six downloadable characters, and PP is one of them. This plant took the ressources that could have been allowed to someone else.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Idon, I get what you mean, but I think you are mistaking.

Piranha Plant would only 'open the door' to possibilities if there were many newcomers - and even then, it would just be a sign that developers are open to a certain kind of characters, a sign an nothing more. If they had wanted Bandana Dee or Toad, they would have put them directly. Beside, the argument 'PP is in so generic species have a shot' can easily be countered by 'but PP is a joke'. Truth is, it will be probably stay the exception, the anomaly of the Smash roster, as it was meant to be.

I actually think that Piranha Plant lowers the chances of Toad, Bandana Dee, and basically everyone, just by being there. There were six downloadable characters, and PP is one of them. This plant took the ressources that could have been allowed to someone else.
Right, and those are fair points. However, it's more for argumentative purpose than anything else. "If they're willing to put X in, they're willing to put Y in who is in a similar case."
I think most people understand the concept of how unlikely their characters are in comparison to big 3rd parties and how that unlikelihood is increased when there are only 4 characters left to be revealed with each new character decreasing their most wanteds' chances.

Also, can't really tell for certain if you're talking to me, so click on the reply button to quote whoever that's directed to if it isn't me.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Right, and those are fair points. However, it's more for argumentative purpose than anything else. "If they're willing to put X in, they're willing to put Y in who is in a similar case."
I think most people understand the concept of how unlikely their characters are in comparison to big 3rd parties and how that unlikelihood is increased when there are only 4 characters left to be revealed with each new character decreasing their most wanteds' chances.

Also, can't really tell for certain if you're talking to me, so click on the reply button to quote whoever that's directed to if it isn't me.
Yeah, sorry, still unfamiliar with this reply button. I was mostly talking to you. I think I only said very obvious stuff, but I don't know you and people on Internet sometimes have a weird way of thinking! ;)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Joke character? No. Sakurai doesn't do that anymore. And he only did it once two decades ago for a clone that is now treated like an actual character.
The left field/surprise choice? Yes.

The fact that it has a Guidance, in the character banner, and was revealed in a playable state pre-release makes me think it was intended for base roster but barely missed out due to time constraints. Hence the free for a limited time offer.
You seem to believe intentionally bad characters are the only joke characters in games if you think Melee Pichu is the only joke character in the entire Smash Bros. series. That couldn't be further from the truth, in my book. Hell, I think making a character a "joke character" by just making them bad is probably the least fun way of doing things. Making a fun and functional moveset out of something completely ridiculous - like a Piranha Plant - is way more entertaining to me.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The idea of PP being a base planned character honestly pisses me off because that implies they truly did prioritize a generic mook to be added over several fan requested characters.

One of the main reasons there wasn’t too much salt about Plant was because it was a free DLC bonus which meant he didn’t take a slot and we assumed it was this game’s token WTF fighter even though that doesn’t seem to be much of the case since Saks stated that it’s iconicness and familiarity was a factor in it’s inclusion, I guess it was primarily because of being unexpected.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You seem to believe intentionally bad characters are the only joke characters in games if you think Melee Pichu is the only joke character in the entire Smash Bros. series. That couldn't be further from the truth, in my book. Hell, I think making a character a "joke character" by just making them bad is probably the least fun way of doing things. Making a fun and functional moveset out of something completely ridiculous - like a Piranha Plant - is way more entertaining to me.

In fighting game terminalogy for me "joke character" means intentionally bad. Like Dan from Street Fighter.

I am fairly sure Sakurai referred to Plant as a surprise character. One that shakes up the roster in a creative way. Similarly to ROB, Game and Watch, and Wii Fit Trainer.

D

Deleted member

They exist.

https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-why-incineroar-was-chosen-and-more/

“So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it.”
By that comment I mean that Sakurai didn't explicitly "choose PP over many fan favorite characters"

In fact this interview proves otherwise

He already had a frame of reference in mind. Some fan favorites, some heavy hitters like a new Pokemon, and a wacky unorthodox pick that's still EXTREMELY popular. He didn't go "**** banjo im adding a plant lmao" he went "ok so what should i choose for all these different character archetypes

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
By that comment I mean that Sakurai didn't explicitly "choose PP over many fan favorite characters"

In fact this interview proves otherwise

He already had a frame of reference in mind. Some fan favorites, some heavy hitters like a new Pokemon, and a wacky unorthodox pick that's still EXTREMELY popular. He didn't go "**** banjo im adding a plant lmao" he went "ok so what should i choose for all these different character archetypes
Alright, I understand.

Guess my point didn’t come out the way I wanted to, I was fine with Plant being DLC but I was finding the idea of it being base ridiculous because I think that development hypothetically without time constraints should’ve went to a different choice whether it was a fan-pick or left-field.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
tbh I like PP way more than some BWD, Isaac, other picks they could have gone with lol (with the exception of a RH character, tho maybe there could have been factors against that?)

We were partially expecting some retro NES newcomer like Duck Hunt or ROB, when in actuality the trend Sakurai stuck to was the "unique characters with unique stuff" seen with ones like G&W, Duck Hunt and ROB, maybe also WFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom