• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I remember back in the Wii U days that there was this guy who would only choose Smashville for friendlies.

Smashville only.

For friendlies.

I didn't tell him anything because it was his console, but damn, we weren't even in a tournament. It's like the concept of diversity was lost to him. If I ever had to encapsulate the "No fun allowed" on someone, it would be on that guy.

I would love to see hazardless Mushroom Kingdom U, Prism Tower, Port Town and Wario Ware as well. Rainbow Cruise also seems pretty legit.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I remember back in the Wii U days that there was this guy who would only choose Smashville for friendlies.

Smashville only.

For friendlies.

I didn't tell him anything because it was his console, but damn, we weren't even in a tournament. It's like the concept of diversity was lost to him. If I ever had to encapsulate the "No fun allowed" on someone, it would be on that guy.

I would love to see hazardless Mushroom Kingdom U, Prism Tower, Port Town and Wario Ware as well. Rainbow Cruise also seems pretty legit.
I know someone like that who only play on ♎forms without items with friends who don't know how to play Smash. A real gentleman.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think my only unpopular opinion is this:

People who constantly and openly bash certain character support fan bases need to stop.

It's RAMPANT in the Smash community. It's EVERYWHERE. I can't even begin to tell you how much accusatory stuff and harassment I've been on the receiving end of because I happen to support Geno. Newsflash: We aren't all bad. I sure as heck am not going to be 'delusional' about his chances, which are particularly very low, and I'm not going to slander people who want a different SE rep. I'm not going to trash up random places on the internet with obnoxious support, being like, "Geno NEEDS to be in Smash! C'mon, Hackurai!" I know quite a few people who support Geno who are the same way.

Yet, guess what? We get trash-talked just based on a stereotype attached to the fan base because of a few bad apples. I've seen people generalize fan bases based on ONE PERSON. One. Person. Pardon my French and my bluntness, but that is just... ****ing stupid. Not all Waluigi fans are awful people who will send Sakurai death threats. Not all Steve fans are trashposters who only care about seeing people miserable. Not all Banjo fans trash Steve's fans just for so much as breathing near them. I could go on and on and on.

I've been brought to the point of tears multiple times because of the toxicity of Smash's fan base and trashing people just because of their preferences. When it gets to the point of having ad hominem launched at you for liking a video game character, that's beyond ludicrous. Stop behaving like children. I'm so frustrated, tired, and done with having to deal with Smash's fan base as a whole. The good people are just... wow, you guys are great. Don't let the bad apples get you down. There are so many good people and not all Smash fans are bad.

That being said, though, it's hard to even function in the Smash fandom without being dogged for little to no good reason. My mental state was amazing until I got into the Smash fandom proper. Now, it's been a mess thanks to the amount of garbage I have to deal with every day, just because, wow, gee, golly, I like a certain video game character that a lot of people don't like.

To the people that do this kind of thing, please. Please reconsider what you're doing. This stuff hurts people. When it gets to the point of harassment because of an opinion, where it actually affects a person's feelings and mental state, it's no longer just differing views on a video game. It becomes straight-up bullying... and it's wrong.

I'm just... tired and done. I may sound angry in this post, but I'm really not. I'm just frustrated and broken down. It's depressing when trying to enjoy and talk about a video game, talking about speculation and the like, results in stuff like this.

Just please be kind to your fellow folk. Please. That's all I ask.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

People who constantly and openly bash certain character support fan bases need to stop.

It's RAMPANT in the Smash community. It's EVERYWHERE. I can't even begin to tell you how much accusatory stuff and harassment I've been on the receiving end of because I happen to support Geno. Newsflash: We aren't all bad. I sure as heck am not going to be 'delusional' about his chances, which are particularly very low, and I'm not going to slander people who want a different SE rep. I'm not going to trash up random places on the internet with obnoxious support, being like, "Geno NEEDS to be in Smash! C'mon, Hackurai!" I know quite a few people who support Geno who are the same way.

Yet, guess what? We get trash-talked just based on a stereotype attached to the fan base because of a few bad apples. I've seen people generalize fan bases based on ONE PERSON. One. Person. Pardon my French and my bluntness, but that is just... ****ing stupid. Not all Waluigi fans are awful people who will send Sakurai death threats. Not all Steve fans are trashposters who only care about seeing people miserable. Not all Banjo fans trash Steve's fans just for so much as breathing near them. I could go on and on and on.

I've been brought to the point of tears multiple times because of the toxicity of Smash's fan base and trashing people just because of their preferences. When it gets to the point of having ad hominem launched at you for liking a video game character, that's beyond ludicrous. Stop behaving like children. I'm so frustrated, tired, and done with having to deal with Smash's fan base as a whole. The good people are just... wow, you guys are great. Don't let the bad apples get you down. There are so many good people and not all Smash fans are bad.

That being said, though, it's hard to even function in the Smash fandom without being dogged for little to no good reason. My mental state was amazing until I got into the Smash fandom proper. Now, it's been a mess thanks to the amount of garbage I have to deal with every day, just because, wow, gee, golly, I like a certain video game character that a lot of people don't like.

To the people that do this kind of thing, please. Please reconsider what you're doing. This stuff hurts people. When it gets to the point of harassment because of an opinion, where it actually affects a person's feelings and mental state, it's no longer just differing views on a video game. It becomes straight-up bullying... and it's wrong.

I'm just... tired and done. I may sound angry in this post, but I'm really not. I'm just frustrated and broken down. It's depressing when trying to enjoy and talk about a video game, talking about speculation and the like, results in stuff like this.

Couldn't agree more. It's so hard these days for not only Geno fans, but fans of any character whose perceived future chances are low and have a bad rap for whatever reason. Disliking a character is fine, but ****ting on people for liking said character is going too far. If it really bothers you that much, roll your eyes and move on. It's not like you're gonna convince them to not like the character. That's just stupid. Hell, even I laid off on the Waluigi fans after a while even though I can't stand the character and don't want him anywhere near the Smash roster. Generalizing "toxic" support groups based on the actions of a few, or sometimes even just a single person, is absurd, laughable, and childish, and I frankly don't care to hear any of it at this point. Whether we care to admit it or not, we've heard way too much of "[X character] fans are so stupid/entitled/delusional lol..." this hype cycle, and it needs to stop. No support group on Earth is anywhere near as bad as the dream-bashing anti-fans that unfortunately plague this fanbase.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I see what you mean, but I guess every community needs someone to hate on. It strengthens the social cohesion, as odd as it sounds. Look around today: Everywhere you find majorities opposing minorities and this is more or less supported. [Disclaimer: next points are exaggerated and are of course NOT applicable to every member of the group]
Traditional fighting games players hate smash players.
Overwatch players hate Hanzo mains.
Car drivers hate bicyclists.
Truck drivers hate car drivers; car drivers hate trucks.
-escalating quickly-
Europe goes against immigrants.
Americans go against Mexicans.
North Korea goes against all outsiders.
<uncomfortable historical occurrence in Germany in the early 1900s, going against a specific group>

I understand your frustration, but it is not a smash community thing and it will never stop. There will always be a most-hated group; currently, unfortunately it's the Geno fanbase.
When it gets to the point of having ad hominem launched at you for liking a video game character, that's beyond ludicrous.
Well, people killed each other for centuries over who has the better imaginary friend (culling of rome, crusades, jihad), so...

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Devil's advocate argument: If everyone limited their support to characters who actually had a chance of being in the game, there would be more obvious standouts instead of fifty billion nobody characters scattered everywhere. It's the same principle that led to political parties existing in the real world: because if everyone was a write-in vote and there was no organization, we would have fifty thousand presidential candidates with votes in the double digits.

With that said, I recognize that people aren't gonna change and organization isn't a thing on the internet, so my personal practice is indeed to roll my eyes and move on. But I can understand how the lack of organization would frustrate someone looking in from outside.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Why on earth do people think a second DLC wave would be much different from the first wave?

Smash 4's DLC newcomers were predominantly 3rd party with one 1st party marketing pick and Ultimate's Fighters Pass is definitely looking similar so far-- so why would Nintendo change it up if they did a second Fighters Pass instead of following the set-up that's worked so far?

In addition, DLC characters are kinda all about marketing-- be it marketing a 1st party title or marketing Smash to people who may not have bought it. I know someone who was going to skip Ultimate but got it after Joker was announced; characters that appeal to demographics outside the core Smash fandom/those who've already bought the game get Nintendo far more money. $60 of revenue from purchasing the game is 10 times more than $6 of revenue from purchasing a DLC character. And if this happens to be what pushes someone into getting a Switch? Not only does Nintendo have the revenue from the purchase of the console and the game, but they have someone who's likely going to buy more games for the system.

The Jokers, Ezios, Doom Slayers, Steves, and Dantes generate more hype and have infinitely more marketing potential than the Bandanna Waddle Dees, Impas, and Genos. 99% of the people rooting for the latter characters in Smash already have a Switch and the game; even if the former are somehow "less recognizable", they still have the potential to sell the game to people who haven't bough it yet.

Related, maybe playable characters are sometimes picked not because they're recognizable but to increase their recognizability? Xenoblade 1 was a cult classic, but with Shulk in Smash he's recognized by 20 times as many gamers as before and ended up with Xenoblade 2 selling the better part of 2 million units. Also, there's the deal with FE: Nintendo has officially stated they consider it a major franchise of theirs and clearly are trying their damndest to increase awareness and the series' popularity.

To the people who complain about Zelda and Kirby getting shafted: maybe Nintendo just doesn't see much room for growth with them and therefore no need to push them in Smash?

To Tl;DR it, what I'm describing is an idea that's both very cynical yet somewhat novel around here: Smash is not an elitist gaming hall of fame, it's a powerful marketing tool that Nintendo views and utilizes as such. "Reps", "deserving", none of that crap matters outside this board and similar corners of the net-- and especially not to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think it may be more of a hope that with more DLC positions, they'd be more open to first parties.

I still hate the third party bias for DLC. Though, 4's DLC still had more first party if you count veterans, so hopefully we do get first party. Is that unpopular? Where does the community lie on that? I'm a stickler for either first party or Nintendo relevant 3rd parties which so far Joker does not feel so I'm definitely not hype for DLC so that's probably unpopular.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I think it may be more of a hope that with more DLC positions, they'd be more open to first parties.

I still hate the third party bias for DLC. Though, 4's DLC still had more first party if you count veterans, so hopefully we do get first party. Is that unpopular? Where does the community lie on that? I'm a stickler for either first party or Nintendo relevant 3rd parties which so far Joker does not feel so I'm definitely not hype for DLC so that's probably unpopular.
Unpopular Oppinion: I like having 3rd party, it brings more variety to smash. I actually prefer characters that aren’t relevant to Nintendo as well, due to the best ones being characters that aren’t known for being on their systems: Sonic, Snake, Cloud, and Joker.

I feel Nintendo specific 3rd parties are generic and boring, and the more the Smash community pushes for them the more boring picks become.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Unpopular Oppinion: I like having 3rd party, it brings more variety to smash. I actually prefer characters that aren’t relevant to Nintendo as well, due to the best ones being characters that aren’t known for being on their systems: Sonic, Snake, Cloud, and Joker.

I feel Nintendo specific 3rd parties are generic and boring, and the more the Smash community pushes for them the more boring picks become.
You realize Sonic is very important to Nintendo right? Mega Man is one of the most unique fighters in the game as well.

But, you know, why would all these Nintendo fans want Nintendo related stuff?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
It depends on the character, but generally I prefer third party for the sake of coverage and variety.

I think the only first party Nintendo characters off the top of my head I would really be hype for at this point are Tingle and Waluigi.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There are two problems with "But it has to be HYPE!"

1. There are plenty of people who bought the pass just to have more Smash
2. Hype can come in different forms. Plenty of people can be excited about Steve, but the same can be said about Waluigi.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Brinstar hazardless.
Floor can nullify most projectiles, like Boomerangs, Samus' Charge Shot, etc.

I tried it. I really love Brinstar's aesthetic and wanted it to be legal...but it can't due to that major problem with the bottom floor.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Floor can nullify most projectiles, like Boomerangs, Samus' Charge Shot, etc.
It's a good counterpick against zoners.
So even better.

Edit: I know it's banned because of the bottom is a semi-soft platform and people are heavily against it even though we don't have a good reason why.
(Sharking isn't the problem, if so then prove it)

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So what kind of first party characters could you see them adding in the fighters pass out of curiousity (and don't say 8th Pokemon or FE thing lol)

Maybe one of them could be a Rhythm Heaven character to increase series popularity and cause it's one big Nintendo IP remaining wout significant representation like an AT, mii costume or many music tracks, just a lot of spirits and it'd certainly be a surprise head turner and please the less niche Japan RH fanbase I CAN DREAM GODDAMMIT

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
You realize Sonic is very important to Nintendo right? Mega Man is one of the most unique fighters in the game as well.

But, you know, why would all these Nintendo fans want Nintendo related stuff?
Sonic wasn’t really known for being on Nintendo though, he was just a rival. I bring him up as usually the Smash community hates any big characters that are pretty specific to Sony or Microsoft due to being rivals with Nintendo, yet Sonic gets a pass. I know Sega and Nintendo were known for going at it harder, but I feel if Sonic mainly just being the 90s rival of Nintendo can earn him a Nintendo legacy, than many others shouldn’t be cut out so easily, like Master Chief or Crash. (Also before anyone says anything, yes Sonic did have a few titles on GameCube and GameBoy Advance before Brawl, but I don’t think they count if Snake is still said to be PlayStation yet also had titles on GC. Even what was supposed to be Sonic’s biggest game, Sonic 06 was an XBOX exclusive.)

Basically, most of Sonic’s legacy is non-Nintendo. People know him for the first 3 titles and CD, none of which were on Nintendo consoles when they released. His legacy is not at all comparable to Mega Man as Mega Man was on both NES and SNES as one of the systems biggest icons, whereas Sonic was the face of a company in competition with Nintendo until very recently with Brawl.

As for the characters thing, I should reword that, I meant character picks post-Ultimate. I feel the community is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of Nintendo specific 3rd parties as most are super small indies or dead icons. I think Nintendo should look to big All-Stars of Sony, Microsoft, and PC as that’s where all the big gaming icons have been created since the N64. After Ultimate, I can barely think of Nintendo 3rd party icons that would be well recognized outside of the Smash community, with my only idea being Rabbids and maybe Dragon Quest. I feel that most of the big non-Nintendo icons have happened outside of Nintendo’s consoles in recent years (probably due to major power differences), so Nintendo should look around. Big game changers like Persona, Minecraft, the return of Doom, Halo, etc have all happened outside of Nintendo’s borders.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Sonic wasn’t really known for being on Nintendo though, he was just a rival. I bring him up as usually the Smash community hates any big characters that are pretty specific to Sony or Microsoft due to being rivals with Nintendo, yet Sonic gets a pass. I know Sega and Nintendo were known for going at it harder, but I feel if Sonic mainly just being the 90s rival of Nintendo can earn him a Nintendo legacy, than many others shouldn’t be cut out so easily, like Master Chief or Crash. (Also before anyone says anything, yes Sonic did have a few titles on GameCube and GameBoy Advance before Brawl, but I don’t think they count if Snake is still said to be PlayStation yet also had titles on GC. Even what was supposed to be Sonic’s biggest game, Sonic 06 was an XBOX exclusive.)

Basically, most of Sonic’s legacy is non-Nintendo. People know him for the first 3 titles and CD, none of which were on Nintendo consoles when they released. His legacy is not at all comparable to Mega Man as Mega Man was on both NES and SNES as one of the systems biggest icons, whereas Sonic was the face of a company in competition with Nintendo until very recently with Brawl.

As for the characters thing, I should reword that, I meant character picks post-Ultimate. I feel the community is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of Nintendo specific 3rd parties as most are super small indies or dead icons. I think Nintendo should look to big All-Stars of Sony, Microsoft, and PC as that’s where all the big gaming icons have been created since the N64. After Ultimate, I can barely think of Nintendo 3rd party icons that would be well recognized outside of the Smash community, with my only idea being Rabbids and maybe Dragon Quest. I feel that most of the big non-Nintendo icons have happened outside of Nintendo’s consoles in recent years (probably due to major power differences), so Nintendo should look around. Big game changers like Persona, Minecraft, the return of Doom, Halo, etc have all happened outside of Nintendo’s borders.
So dead icons would mean Banjo Kazooie and others? Not hating, just asking.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
There are two problems with "But it has to be HYPE!"

1. There are plenty of people who bought the pass just to have more Smash
2. Hype can come in different forms. Plenty of people can be excited about Steve, but the same can be said about Waluigi.
1. Those people would've bought the pass almost no matter what-- why go out of your way for complacent (not trying to be demeaning) customers whose money you'll be getting regardless?

2. There's a big difference, though.
Most people who would be excited for Waluigi already bought the game while Steve is infinitely more popular and appeals to a completely different market untapped by Smash.

So what kind of first party characters could you see them adding in the fighters pass out of curiousity (and don't say 8th Pokemon or FE thing lol)

Maybe one of them could be a Rhythm Heaven character to increase series popularity and cause it's one big Nintendo IP remaining wout significant representation like an AT, mii costume or many music tracks, just a lot of spirits and it'd certainly be a surprise head turner and please the less niche Japan RH fanbase I CAN DREAM GODDAMMIT
I mean, those are the most obvious additions (heck, a new Pokemon almost seems guaranteed-- it's the biggest media franchise in existence and a guaranteed seller); aside from that, the "best" I've got is that Nintendo is publishing Astral Chain and could desire to promote it around release.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
1. Those people would've bought the pass almost no matter what-- why go out of your way for complacent (not trying to be demeaning) customers whose money you'll be getting regardless?

2. There's a big difference, though.
Most people who would be excited for Waluigi already bought the game while Steve is infinitely more popular and appeals to a completely different market untapped by Smash.

I mean, those are the most obvious additions (heck, a new Pokemon almost seems guaranteed-- it's the biggest media franchise in existence and a guaranteed seller); aside from that, the "best" I've got is that Nintendo is publishing Astral Chain and could desire to promote it around release.
But we just haaaaaaaaaaaaaad a new Pokémon, on top of like nine others with all the veterans. And it was one of the limited newcomers of Ultimate already.
At any rate, we already have enough songs and stages for Pokémon anyway so

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
But we just haaaaaaaaaaaaaad a new Pokémon, on top of like nine others with all the veterans. And it was one of the limited newcomers of Ultimate already.
Didn’t stop :4corrin:after we just had two FE newcomers :4robinm::4lucina: and one returnee :4feroy: on top of the 5 we already had in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I honestly think that the more third parties they add the worse the roster becomes. IMO if they just gutted all of the third parties except for :ultpacman:, :ultryu:, :ultsimon:/:ultrichter: and Joker and then added Master Chief we would have solid representation and diversity, and no need for anything else.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides being a massive franchise, they still have a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before reaching the bottom the Pokemon barrel.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because nothing could eeeeeeever demerit a Fire Emblem character from getting into Smash, right?
Being from Fire Emblem actually was going against Corrin. They'd only got in because of their moveset potential and recency, not because they reppred Fire Emblem.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Also can I just say that while I’m happy that Final Smashes are straight to the point.

I absolutely despise the fact they come at the cost of some of them limiting their targets to only 3 (:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgnw::ultwolf:) 2 (:ultridley:) or even just 1 (:ultzelda::ultincineroar::ultkingdedede:)

Don’t even get me started on the all constant cinematics you always have to sit through, normally I like them because you get to see characters getting owned in a cutscenes but my problem is using those types of FS with the FS meter or a time limit.

Imagine having to watch a 15 second cutscene every time a certain character’s Meter gets filled up or you trying to KO someone before the time ends until, oops.

Time up’s because you had sit through a cutscene before you got your actual kill and the problem is even more evident if trying to win a timed Spirit battle...

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Ahem.

Smash is not an elitist gaming hall of fame, it's a powerful marketing tool that Nintendo views and utilizes as such. "Reps", "deserving", none of that crap matters outside this board and similar corners of the net-- and especially not to Nintendo.
And as I said, it's the biggest multi-media franchise in existence and a super safe/guaranteed seller.

Because nothing could eeeeeeever demerit a Fire Emblem character from getting into Smash, right?
Considering Corrin got in only because of their moveset potential and them being from FE caused Sakurai to initially overlook them, I'd advise you do some research.

And regardless of that, Nintendo officially considers it a major franchise and clearly desires to promote it. They see room for it to grow and are pushing it because it's profitable... I mean, it 'aint Kirby or DK who's gotten a remake, million-selling Warriors spinoff, and Nintendo's most successful in-house mobile game all in the past two years.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Welcome to "us versus them" mentality, please leave your sanity and dignity at the door.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If I were to hate the limited amount of newcomers slots left being used on Pokémon/FE because they'd be wasting a slot, would that be accurate? Subjectivity of course, but the base games limited newcomer slots had Pokémon (and counting echos, FE) already. Like we could just be getting these four other characters for this Smash, so having them being such choices, though subjectively, would really quander potential of exploring other territories let's just say.
Though again, the whole stage and music required thing, so some cases of reps of existing franchises may be redundant?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Promotional picks most notably an TH FE character and Gen 8 Pokemon given Nintendo is choosing.

Because it ain't like we already have enough of those amIriteorwut!?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Promotional picks most notably an TH FE character and Gen 8 Pokemon given Nintendo is choosing.

You wanted MVC to have a roster that has more X-Men than Smash has Pokemon and FE combined. If that's okay, so is more characters that aren't bottom of the barrel F-Zero racers.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Enough of what, franchise reps? I prefer an eight FE character to a third Samus, I don't care which franchise has more characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also can I just say that while I’m happy that Final Smashes are straight to the point.

I absolutely despise the fact they come at the cost of some of them limiting their targets to only 3 (:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgnw::ultwolf:) 2 (:ultridley:) or even just 1 (:ultzelda::ultincineroar::ultkingdedede:)

Don’t even get me started on the all constant cinematics you always have to sit through, normally I like them because you get to see characters getting owned in a cutscenes but my problem is using those types of FS with the FS meter or a time limit.

Imagine having to watch a 15 second cutscene every time a certain character’s Meter gets filled up or you trying to KO someone before the time ends until, oops.

Time up’s because you had sit through a cutscene before you got your actual kill and the problem is even more evident if trying to win a timed Spirit battle...
That's pretty much why having nearly every Final Smash copy Triforce Slash or Blue Falcon can feel distasteful in a timed match situation. Past Final Smashes like Super Dragon and Landmaster didn't force players to watch a cutscene, and you had better control over which targets you wanted to attack, but at the same time, players would have to avoid a specific fighter until his/her Final Smash ends.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Being from Fire Emblem actually was going against Corrin. They'd only got in because of their moveset potential and recency, not because they reppred Fire Emblem.
Considering Corrin got in only because of their moveset potential and them being from FE caused Sakurai to initially overlook them, I'd advise you do some research.

And regardless of that, Nintendo officially considers it a major franchise and clearly desires to promote it. They see room for it to grow and are pushing it because it's profitable... I mean, it 'aint Kirby or DK who's gotten a remake, million-selling Warriors spinoff, and Nintendo's most successful in-house mobile game all in the past two years.
Was it not obvious that I was being ironic.

I was mocking the people who suggest that FE gets "free pass" fighter for being what it is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I was mocking the people who suggest that FE gets "free pass" fighter for being what it is.
To be fair it's really hard to tell, considering your signature.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

With posts like this earlier in the thread:
I agree. The obligatory Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, etc. newcomer in every Smash game annoys me since it makes the newcomer selection boring and less diverse and creative.
Okay jokes aside I really hate the fact that we're probably getting Dragon Quest in Smash. Like at this point I take back a few things I've said in other threads, we already have enough JRPGs in Smash and the idea that we could be getting multiple human anime characters as DLC is outrageous. The level of redundancy there is so annoying and pointless that I might just not buy the battle pass and only but Persona content because more anime in Smash kills it for me. If we're seriously getting 2+ anime characters as DLC like Smash 4 again I'm going to have a serious change of heart about how I feel about certain fighters/series getting in. For the love of god we don't need this many bland human anime fighters in the game.
I'd hope to be easily forgiven for assuming otherwise.

But anyways, to make this an actual contribution:
People who want Smash to be rebooted should probably realize that the 3rd party ratio will likely end up increasing rather than decreasing. Also, series like DK and Kirby could end up with just their title characters while the dreaded trinity of Mario/Pokemon/FE would likely keep the majority of their characters around. Oh, and Captain Falcon would probably only stick around for the memes and good luck if you want anything from Mother at all.

A reboot roster almost certainly wouldn't be back to the basics like some people think; Ultimate is the high-watermark in terms of a varied Smash roster and can only go downhill in that regard from there-- something that even a "soft" reboot would make very apparent.

(Though not directly applicable, J-Stars Victory VS had a far broader and more varied playable character roster than it's psuedo-sequel Jump Force, with nearly half of it's 40 character roster being Dragonball, One Piece, and Naruto-- with Bleach and Hunter X Hunter coming in behind them at 4 characters each while every other series sat at one or two charaacters. ...And DLC is giving DB/OP/Naruto another character each, with Bleach and the more comparatively recent MHA getting 2 out of it.)

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I feel third parties like Bayo, Joker, Dante, Cloud, etc. are significantly better additions than the majority of characters that are "closer to Nintendo" left to add for DLC

This loyalty to Nintendo franchises on this site is honestly absurd and feels very cult like. People throw insane and abitrary criterion like "they should be to directly related to Nintendo" like that makes a character better?

No, I don't think Jibanyan or Bomberman are nearly as good picks as icons like Sub-Zero Master Chief. Who in their right mind would say that? Almost everyone who I meet irl who plays Smash Bros. (casual and competitive) would kill to see Dante, Master Chief, etc. in Smash.

In all honesty, more third parties is the way to go for DLC. Imo the only strong Nintendo reps I feel are Edelguard/Byelth, new Pokemon, Dixie, BWD, Rex/Pyra or Elma, Spring Man, and maybe Impa and Waluigi. Yet, almost all of these characters are assist trophies, got caught in "too recent" hell or would only work as semi-clones. Even then, none of these characters are even close to the level of influence Master Chief, Steve or Erdrick have. And honestly many of them don't really match up to Joker either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom