• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not necessarily a Smash-specific unpopular opinion, but it's related since Joker's in it and part of why I have this opinion is BECAUSE of his involvement in Smash.

-ahem-

I ****ing hate Last Surprise.
I hate the "You'll never see it coming" jokes.
I sincerely wish the song doesn't make it into Smash, and if it DOES, it's only instrumental.

Why?
Because the jokes and the song are ****ing everywhere. And it's always with that lyric. And they're tired and predictable. And it's only gotten worse because of Joker's reveal for Smash.
If you've ever made a joke in regards to "you'll never see it coming" and thought you were being funny, you weren't. You did one of the most unfunny and overdone jokes out there. Congratulations. Hope you're proud of yourself, because certainly no one else is.

You remember how everyone got sick of Frozen's "Let It Go"? This is how I feel.

I will take all the flames and death threats now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not necessarily a Smash-specific unpopular opinion, but it's related since Joker's in it and part of why I have this opinion is BECAUSE of his involvement in Smash.

-ahem-

I sincerely wish the song doesn't make it into Smash, and if it DOES, it's only instrumental.

Why?
Because the jokes and the song are ****ing everywhere. And it's always with that lyric. And they're tired and predictable. And it's only gotten worse because of Joker's reveal for Smash.
If you've ever made a joke in regards to "you'll never see it coming" and thought you were being funny, you weren't. You did one of the most unfunny and overdone jokes out there. Congratulations. Hope you're proud of yourself, because certainly no one else is.

Yeah.
It is on the level of making a Frozen "Let it Go" joke.

It's gone from a song I legitimately liked to something that gives me a miniature headache when I hear it.

D

Deleted member

Yeah.
It is on the level of making a Frozen "Let it Go" joke.

It's gone from a song I legitimately liked to something that gives me a miniature headache when I hear it.
Ironically, I just edited my post to compare the situation to that song.

Though at least jokes involving "Let It Go" are more ironic now, given they're supposed to be cringe based on how overhyped that song was. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ironically, I just edited my post to compare the situation to that song.

Though at least jokes involving "Let It Go" are more ironic now, given they're supposed to be cringe based on how overhyped that song was. :p
It can definitely feel amusing how a game or song that received good reception during its time can eventually become overrated as the years pass. I've heavily lost my touch with Frozen, and one of the reasons can include people mistaking Elsa for Rosalina (or vice versa); the differences between them are clearly obvious. Another reason is that I'm not a big fan of seeing good characters actually turning out to be evil; most Disney villains are quite obvious to spot, which is something that Frozen heavily lacked.

On an on-topic note, I'm still playing around with Smash Wii U from time to time. With the mixed feelings that Smash Ultimate is getting, you probably shouldn't ditch your Wii U system (if you still have it). But I'm probably just saying this because it's safer to hack a Wii U system.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I really liked Smash Ultimate's theme, but now I'm sick of it, which sucks. :c
Baffled as to why changing the menu music was the reward for beating WoL rather than boss battle/rush mode.

It's ok, though. I can jam to 64's CSS theme again.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The English version of the opening theme is poorly sung--or rather, not sung in a manner that is appropriate to the song and the themes of Smash.

Is that unpopular?

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
The English version of the opening theme is poorly sung--or rather, not sung in a manner that is appropriate to the song and the themes of Smash.

Is that unpopular?
I don't know about the big audience, but I like the song a lot.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Smash 64's tracks are better than the original track of the other smash games, ESPECIALLY its final destination track.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Baffled as to why changing the menu music was the reward for beating WoL rather than boss battle/rush mode.

It's ok, though. I can jam to 64's CSS theme again.
Wait, there's a reward like that for beating WoL?

Guess I'll have to somehow stay awake long enough to finish it.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Wait, there's a reward like that for beating WoL?

Guess I'll have to somehow stay awake long enough to finish it.
Basically you get to change the menu theme to any menu theme in the franchise...aside from the real quiet one in 64 before you go to choose your character. Man why'd that one not make the cut?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ganondorf is still garbage. And King K. Rool is bottom tier.

Reddit will hang me for this but honestly it's true. They're both slow and they can't keep up with any character with a semi-decent projectile or air game. They just got overhyped, that's all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know how well Yoshi is doing in Ultimate, but after reading his frame data, I have been feeling really disgusted with the developers still not giving him tolerable attributes for his attack options. I get that his weight is above average, but that doesn't mean that he has to be like the other heavies and have bad frame data.

In fact, Yoshi could've been one of those heavier fighters who excels more on quick attack speed than raw power. But alas, he ends up suffering from a start-up lag increase for his grabs, instead of a decrease. The developers must really hate Yoshi if they nerfed stuff that was already on the list of Yoshi's issues in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know how well Yoshi is doing in Ultimate, but after reading his frame data, I have been feeling really disgusted with the developers still not giving him tolerable attributes for his attack options. I get that his weight is above average, but that doesn't mean that he has to be like the other heavies and have bad frame data.

In fact, Yoshi could've been one of those heavier fighters who excels more on quick attack speed than raw power. But alas, he ends up suffering from a start-up lag increase for his grabs, instead of a decrease. The developers must really hate Yoshi if they nerfed stuff that was already on the list of Yoshi's issues in Smash 3DS / Wii U.
For some reason I doubt balancing team is petty enough to buff or nerf characters based on their personal feelings about them.

I guess that's my unpopular opinion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For some reason I doubt balancing team is petty enough to buff or nerf characters based on their personal feelings about them.

I guess that's my unpopular opinion.
Still, considering how poor Yoshi's grab game was in Smash 3DS / Wii U, the last thing he needed was a start-up increase for his dash and turn grabs. And correct me if I'm wrong, I did read somewhere that Yoshi is still not able to pull off follow-ups after using his d-throw; I'm guessing that the BKB is still set too high.

As for Egg Lay, while the frame data does suggest that the start-up is shorter than before, it's still quite bad if the grab hitboxes don't activate until frame 19 (that's still slower than the slowest grabs in Smash 3DS / Wii U).

Anyway, I just feel that Yoshi could've been handled better.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Still, considering how poor Yoshi's grab game was in Smash 3DS / Wii U, the last thing he needed was a start-up increase for his dash and turn grabs. And correct me if I'm wrong, I did read somewhere that Yoshi is still not able to pull off follow-ups after using his d-throw; I'm guessing that the BKB is still set too high.

As for Egg Lay, while the frame data does suggest that the start-up is shorter than before, it's still quite bad if the grab hitboxes don't activate until frame 19 (that's still slower than the slowest grabs in Smash 3DS / Wii U).

Anyway, I just feel that Yoshi could've been handled better.
Almost all characters have their grabs nerfed so I don't know why you are singling out Yoshi. It's not like he didn't got buffed in other places.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Almost all characters have their grabs nerfed so I don't know why you are singling out Yoshi. It's not like he didn't got buffed in other places.
It primarily has to do with Yoshi being plagued with having a bad grab game for a long time. That's pretty much why I felt frustrated to see it get nerfed. But I guess I should've taken into account the other fighters, since some of them in Smash 3DS / Wii U had dash grabs or turn grabs that grabbed as early as frame 8 or 9.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf is still garbage. And King K. Rool is bottom tier.

Reddit will hang me for this but honestly it's true. They're both slow and they can't keep up with any character with a semi-decent projectile or air game. They just got overhyped, that's all.
I agree. But they are at least functional bad characters, and a blast to play. That's a big step from the last Smash games' bottom tiers.

Also I don't think they are nearly as bad as Little Mac or Bowser Jr. whom I personally consider the worst characters.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
The current stage-lists of competitive Smash Ultimate in most major tournaments are pitiful.

We have over 100+ stages, yet they're not even using 1/10 of them, they've become so excessively limited on stage choices since most of the current "acceptable" stage are these large, wide Pokemon levels that just favor fast zoners. (Once against blowing off slower characters from having a decent chance and benefiting an archetype who's always been domain in every Smash game)
This mindset of if a stage terrain isn't 100% entirely flat, then it's labeled as "janky", causing people to jump on the Ban-Wagon for it, and do I even have to say anything about why banning semi-soft platform stages this early on is jumping to conclusions. We have counterpicks for a reason people...

Well according to these same folks, it's just not good for the meta if you're dying at 80% consistently and actually have to fight your opponent, yet it's perfectly fine camping & running away to one side of the stage and living till 180% consistently.

Mew2King was right...
The modern day Smash community is so spoiled.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
do I even have to say anything about why banning semi-soft platform stages this early on is jumping to conclusions. We have counterpicks for a reason people...
I made a more thorough post in the other thread you mentioned stages in, but on this topic... are you speaking separately from the "stages that are good for slow heavies" statement? Because I main Dorf and rather dislike playing on Skyloft.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I'm already bored of Smash Ultimate, whereas I played all the other installments for several hours, months, and heck even years after they came out. The lack of content doesn't really help this matter for me. Yeah Smash4 was kind of spare on content from what I can recall, but the online wasn't so janky and bad, so I could enjoy that. Now I can't even really enjoy that with Ultimate because it's such a crapshoot of what you're going to get into or what kind of cheese match it will be.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The current stage-lists of competitive Smash Ultimate in most major tournaments are pitiful.

We have over 100+ stages, yet they're not even using 1/10 of them, they've become so excessively limited on stage choices since most of the current "acceptable" stage are these large, wide Pokemon levels that just favor fast zoners. (Once against blowing off slower characters from having a decent chance and benefiting an archetype who's always been domain in every Smash game)
Where did this mindset of if a stage terrain isn't 100% entirely flat, then it's labeled as "janky", causing people to jump on the Ban-Wagon for it, and do I even I have to say anything about why banning semi-soft platform stages this early on is jumping to conclusions. We have counterpicks for a reason people...

We according to these same folks, it's just not good for the meta if you're dying at 80% consistently and actually have to fight your opponent, yet it's perfectly fine camping & running away to one side of the stage and living till 180% consistently.

Mew2King was right...
I'm not currently watching Smash Ultimate competitive because even with hazards off and more legal stages than ever before, most tournaments don't reach 10 stages, let alone go over that number, with very flimsy reasons justifying the number being so low.

The stage list at EVO is what will make or break competitive Smash Ultimate for me. This isn't Smash 4 anymore, we have waaaaay more legal stages, or at least over 10 which I'll take. Yet people only play on a handful or so. It really limits how exciting I find matches to watch.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm sick and tired of all of these "I suck" threads. Are people completely oblivious that we have dedicated help and Q&A threads? IMO all of those threads are useless spam, should be closed, and all be replaced with one new thread for helping new players.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm sick and tired of all of these "I suck" threads. Are people completely oblivious that we have dedicated help and Q&A threads? IMO all of those threads are useless spam, should be closed, and all be replaced with one new thread for helping new players.
I wholeheartedly agree. I was going to PM some mods about it myself...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm already bored of Smash Ultimate, whereas I played all the other installments for several hours, months, and heck even years after they came out. The lack of content doesn't really help this matter for me. Yeah Smash4 was kind of spare on content from what I can recall, but the online wasn't so janky and bad, so I could enjoy that. Now I can't even really enjoy that with Ultimate because it's such a crapshoot of what you're going to get into or what kind of cheese match it will be.
Quite the opposite for me actually.
I was hyped for Smash 4, played the 3DS version a good bit, dropped it within a month, played the Wii U version for even less, then dropped it. I would occasionally pick it up again whenever DLC happened but that was about it.

Smash Ultimate on the other hand, I got over 100 hours in a month (while simaltaneously playing Persona 5 which I got 50 hours in a month), and still play it now and then.

Maybe it’s just because I have more free time in my current situation, but my playtime on a Ultimate already beat my total Wii U time easily.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Mine would probably as well if it wasn't for how mismanaged the online aspect is. Or if they somehow make/made tweaks to online.

And I tried one spirit board battle just to see if I still felt the same way. It was a 3 Lucas match where they just did nothing but pk freeze, and fire spam the whole time. At one point I thought I was online with a cheese match until I realized no, this is smash offline.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wholeheartedly agree. I was going to PM some mods about it myself...
...Why not just report the threads? You don't need to PM it. If a thread exists for it, report the other thread and give us a link. Boom, easy solution.

We'll gladly do this stuff for you, but you need to directly let us know. And PM's aren't always the best solution for these cases.

Albeit, I won't be able to move those threads for you myself(or lock them) since I'm not a Smash Ultimate Mod anymore, but we appreciate these reports and they really really help. :)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

-ahem-

Why?

You remember how everyone got sick of Frozen's "Let It Go"? This is how I feel.

Now, I see where you're comin' from here. I too am more than a bit tired of the constant jokes using that one single lyric. It's the lowest of the low-hanging fruit, and it's a joke that takes literally 0 effort to make, especially now that Joker's in Smash and it was such an unforeseen announcement. Everyone thinks they're bein' clever by doing it, like they're the first person in history to make the joke, and they'll get easy upvotes/likes for doin' it. It's just been done to death several times over.

However, I will disagree with you on the "I hope the song never makes it to Smash/is only instrumental" thing. The jokes may be overdone, but the song itself is still a jam.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Speaking of low, embarrassing and annoying jokes, "I'm really feeling it" and comparing Cloud with a nimbus because of his name are two of the same kind.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Where did this mindset of if a stage terrain isn't 100% entirely flat, then it's labeled as "janky", causing people to jump on the Ban-Wagon for it, and do I even I have to say anything about why banning semi-soft platform stages this early on is jumping to conclusions. We have counterpicks for a reason people...

We according to these same folks, it's just not good for the meta if you're dying at 80% consistently and actually have to fight your opponent, yet it's perfectly fine camping & running away to one side of the stage and living till 180% consistently.

Mew2King was right...
What other stages do you think should be allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom