• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Yikes, I felt Sheik was going to be a spicy take when I posted LOL

But yeah Ocarina of Time is huge and Sheik plays a big part of the story. I know people like to rag on OoT for being overrated/overrepresented, but I feel Sheik is a strong character choice outside strictly fighting style. She's not as much as Fox or Samus in popularity, but she's up there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The following characters are equivalent in strength when it comes to their popularity or relevance to Nintendo (or gaming as a whole)

:ulticeclimbers:
:ultrob:
:ultfalco:
:ultgnw:
:ultlucas:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultzss:
:ultroy:
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Krystal
Andy (Advance Wars)

While these characters are (or would be) nice additions to the roster, they are absolutely inconsequential to it.

:ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer:and:ultsheik: are slightly above all of these characters simply because of the massive recognizability to them.

There are other veterans I might put on this list, but most of them are either echoes, clones or characters from modern franchises that still have some novelty to them, so they don't really fit.

Edit: Im on the fence about Ness in hindsight. Is he popular because of Smash or is he just popular?
Honestly the major two gripes I have are with saying R.O.B. is unimportant and that Waluigi is somehow less recognizable than Piranha Plant. The former was Nintendo's Trojan Horse that secured home consoles' place on store shelves in the US while the latter is a near ever-present mainstay in the Mario spin-offs, including Mario Kart, which is among the best selling game franchises in the world.

Outside of those (and maaaaaaybe Falco and Jigglypuff depending on how much nostalgia is valued) I pretty much agree though.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Sooo....Geno is basically Mario’s Sheik then?:4pacman:

-While I do hate cuts like everyone else, I don’t think they’re that bad.
Like company issue cuts like :ultcloud: and :ultsnake: would suck hard, I mean hell, it’s Smash 101 that cutting clones like :ultdoc: and :ultdarkpit:won’t magically give you a brand new character but the only reason would they even be missed is because of gameplay reasons, they obviously have mains and nobody likes having their main removed.

But if you ask me, cutting unique characters like :ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer: & :ultcorrin: in favor for Waluigi, Dixie, & Bandana Dee sounds like a good deal to me.

Now if you’ll excuse, I need to hide in my bunker from he upcoming angry WFT/Corrin/PP mains.
As a Wii Fit Trainer and a former Corrin main, I have already accepted that they both have a huge possibility of getting cut in the next Smash.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
To the guy who wrote that he didn't want the Grinch leak to be true because it looked like a check list that didn't excite him at all, and whose post I cannot find anymore: I fail to see how a single Pokémon can be more exciting than Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Mack Rider, the Chorus Kids and Shadow put together.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I think Piranha plants addition was pretty silly. In terms of Mario characters, they were so many more that would have made more sense, not just Geno. King boo in particular. It's not an entitlement thing, I'll take a new character over not having a new character, but they could have appealed to a wider fan base which is generally want you would want to do? At least they did a good job with him.
What was really ridiculous was showing Plant after a whole round of new and popular Assist Trophies, never mind pointing out that Plant wasn't an AT itself. That was extremely stupid and no amount of excuses will ever make me forgive them for being so heartless to wait so long showing some of these like Isaac and Shadow and then reveal a standard Mario mook was playable instead.
My thought exactly. So many good and/or wanted characters were deconfirmed during this direct that when watching Piranha Plant I was half expecting Sakurai to say 'Just kidding. Here is the real newcomer'. Not saying that it was intentional, of course, but ending the last direct with this after, well, zero good news and some bad ones, left me in a state of total disappointment and incomprehension.

In fact, I would go further: in my opinion, Piranha Plant is a bad joke pushed way too far. Guess that makes me 'salty'.

Oh, and comments like 'Sakurai-sama, blessed His name, gave his life for us ungrateful worms' are a disgraceful way to end a conversation. Personnaly, I'm here to talk about the game, not about the people behind it.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But if you ask me, cutting unique characters like :ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer: & :ultcorrin: in favor for Waluigi, Dixie, & Bandana Dee sounds like a good deal to me.
To be fair, Skaurai did say that Smash 6 could have up to only a third of SSBU's roster size, which basically guarantees cuts, I I don't see any of those 3 appearing in a Smash bros. game in the late future, so that's a fair assumption.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
An unpopular opinion I have is, Castle Seige isn't bad at all. It should be totally legal in comp play. Does not mean people cannot still ban it though.

earthboundspacefree

Smash Cadet
I meant don't want as in I'm not really campaigning for their inclusion. I don't really care if they get in or not, and honestly the idea of a Fortnite default being in Smash sounds much more interesting than someone like Joker (to me at least).
Hoo boy

This is definitely an unpopular opinion

Honestly the major two gripes I have are with saying R.O.B. is unimportant and that Waluigi is somehow less recognizable than Piranha Plant. The former was Nintendo's Trojan Horse that secured home consoles' place on store shelves in the US while the latter is a near ever-present mainstay in the Mario spin-offs, including Mario Kart, which is among the best selling game franchises in the world.

Outside of those (and maaaaaaybe Falco and Jigglypuff depending on how much nostalgia is valued) I pretty much agree though.
Waluigi is not more recognizable by any measure. He’s a consistent character in mario spin offs. Plant is a mainstay in almost literally every mainline mario game (like, I can’t think of one where he’s absent). Mario mainline franchise is way more popular than spinoffs. Hence, the one in the more popular series with consistent appearances has to be more recognizable

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The following characters are equivalent in strength when it comes to their popularity or relevance to Nintendo (or gaming as a whole)

:ulticeclimbers:
:ultrob:
:ultfalco:
:ultgnw:
:ultlucas:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultzss:
:ultroy:
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Krystal
Andy (Advance Wars)

While these characters are (or would be) nice additions to the roster, they are absolutely inconsequential to it.

:ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer:and:ultsheik: are slightly above all of these characters simply because of the massive recognizability to them.

There are other veterans I might put on this list, but most of them are either echoes, clones or characters from modern franchises that still have some novelty to them, so they don't really fit.

Edit: Im on the fence about Ness in hindsight. Is he popular because of Smash or is he just popular?
Sorry bruh but Andy represents a series with 30+ years of history and is Nintendo's longest running franchise without a representative. Wars has it's legacy and influence on other turn-based strategy games (not just FE but the genre in general) and to claim he's inconsequential is just disingenuous.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Sorry bruh but Andy represents a series with 30+ years of history and is Nintendo's longest running franchise without a representative. Wars has it's legacy and influence on other turn-based strategy games (not just FE but the genre in general) and to claim he's inconsequential is just disingenuous.
Sorry if I'm misinformed, but the most recent Wars game being a seemly small title on the DS in 2008 and a famicon "wars" game (that is completely unrelated to Andy) doesn't seem to strike me as compelling evidence for the strength of Andy or any wars rep.

Andy honestly is in the same place as Isaac or Ashley. And we know exactly what Sakurai made them to be in the past few games.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry if I'm misinformed, but the most recent Wars game being a seemly small title on the DS in 2008 and a famicon "wars" game (that is completely unrelated to Andy) doesn't seem to strike me as compelling evidence for the strength of Andy or any wars rep.

Andy honestly is in the same place as Isaac or Ashley. And we know exactly what Sakurai made them to be in the past few games.
My criticism was in regards to your insinuation that Andy is inconsequential and I stated why that's not the case. The last Wars game was in 2008 yes, but that was coming at a time where Intelligent Systems was struggling to put out anything successful that wasn't Paper Mario. Fire Emblem itself was failing as well until IS had the confidence to market said series properly.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I know there's a lot of speculation about tonight's direct but I want to remind everyone that it's only 35 minutes long and probably 15 to 20 minutes are going to be about Three Houses (which I'm very interested in), so it's entirely possible we won't get a Smash announcement at all. Remember that in his last statement Sakurai said they hadn't worked on Joker yet so even if we do get some Smash news it'll probably be an update on Joker progress.

(But I swear to god if ****ing Sora is our second DLC fighter I'm drop kicking my computer out of a window)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I know there's a lot of speculation about tonight's direct but I want to remind everyone that it's only 35 minutes long and probably 15 to 20 minutes are going to be about Three Houses (which I'm very interested in), so it's entirely possible we won't get a Smash announcement at all. Remember that in his last statement Sakurai said they hadn't worked on Joker yet so even if we do get some Smash news it'll probably be an update on Joker progress.

(But I swear to god if ****ing Sora is our second DLC fighter I'm drop kicking my computer out of a window)
Umm... 15-20 minutes?
Oh yeah, just like that March Direct from last year that advertised details on Mario Tennis Aces was mostly about Mario Tennis Aces. Except it actually wasn't; MTA ended up taking up about 6 minutes of the whole 34 minute presentation, and they had plenty of room to drop bombshells like Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion and a teaser for Smash alongside it. We're probably gonna be getting 5-10 minutes of Three Houses news at most, and there's not much reason to believe that a majority of the Direct will be focused on Three Houses at this time.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Umm... 15-20 minutes?
Oh yeah, just like that March Direct from last year that advertised details on Mario Tennis Aces was mostly about Mario Tennis Aces. Except it actually wasn't; MTA ended up taking up about 6 minutes of the whole 34 minute presentation, and they had plenty of room to drop bombshells like Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion and a teaser for Smash alongside it. We're probably gonna be getting 5-10 minutes of Three Houses news at most, and there's not much reason to believe that a majority of the Direct will be focused on Three Houses at this time.
To be fair, we know a lot less about Three Houses going into this Direct than we did about Aces going into the March Direct, especially since a strategy RPG would likely have more to explain than a tennis game.

In hindsight, I don't think this one's too unpopular, though people hated the hell out of Brawl until relatively recently for some reason.
Most of the hate was centered around the gameplay, at least in my experience. Most people seem to agree that nearly everything apart from that was solid. If the gameplay was better, it probably would have been my favorite official Smash Game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Well, in hindsight, good thing I didn't get my hopes up.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Brawl was good, it's just that it went ham on the party game side of things unlike any other smash game...aside from maybe 64.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In hindsight, I don't think this one's too unpopular, though people hated the hell out of Brawl until relatively recently for some reason.
It's because its reached the point where most of the dislike has died down.

After a while, controversial games lose the controversy and the fans continue singing praises.

It's kinda like the Zelda cycle but more widespread.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I have a few unpopular opinions

For starters, Id rather see a battle of :ultsonic: vs :ultbowser: over :ultsonic: vs :ultmario:, mainly because Id like to see heroes from one franchise fight a villain from another.

Also I prefer Meta Crystal over Metal Battle, and I think Meta Crystal should have played in the Metal Mario spirit Battle.

Of the Bloody Tears/Monster Dance remix, I like Monster Dance more, (even if the former is epic) but that does not prevent the entire track from being the best new track in Ultimate.

I also had a lot of fun with World of Light, plus in my opinion, some battles are not that hard (the M.Bison spirit battle however was a pain to deal with, until I defeated him)

And here is a Major unpopular opinion

I want the Rumble Falls stage from Brawl to return

And before you complain about it, this stage will come in Battlefield and Omega stage form to make it a pain to play on, but either way, I honestly love traveling stages, because it's like playing a platformer game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want the Bramble Blast stage from Brawl to return
There was no Bramble Blast stage from Brawl.

I think you mean Rumble Falls which came from Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Well either way, many people hate this stage.

But I guess one of the music tracks in that stage could be the reason.

I changed it, so thank you for clearing things up.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rumble Falls would make for nice Omega and Battlefield like stages, because of the scenery. I kinda miss it only because of that. I didn't like the stage that much in Brawl, because there was too much jank just put in there for no reason at all. It doesn't even resemble the level in Jungle Beat that much with the planes and brambles and all that.

Dragon-Eater

Smash Rookie
I don't want anymore swordfighters and I don't want anymore characters from are RPGs.
I would possibly make an exception for Paper Mario because at least he would provide something different.
I really want a character who would do something different to everyone else on the current roster.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I don't want anymore swordfighters and I don't want anymore characters from are RPGs.
I would possibly make an exception for Paper Mario because at least he would provide something different.
I really want a character who would do something different to everyone else on the current roster.
That's why Dr Lobe would be a great addition !

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I like World of Light more than Subspace, I like how it's a bunch of theme matches in relationship to the character's spirit even though I will admit there's some fights (like Pauline) are pretty tricky.

I also like how you can choose from any of the characters you can choose from any of the characters you have available at any time and you can use alts as well. New game plus is even better since you can use everyone you saved from the completed file.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isaac from Golden Sun is a swordfighter from a RPG, but would play totally different from the current cast of swordfighters. He has psychic elemental magical abilities called "Psynergy" and can manipulate earth elemental energy with it, and create big magic Master Hand-like hands like he does for his Assist Trophy summon. Speaking of summoning, he can do that to, using the Djinn, elemental spirits looking a bit like Pokemon. Essentially with the Djinn, he could use all 4 of the common elements, earth, fire, water and wind, and of course the neutral hand-like Psynergy.

There's really no character that resembles such a playstyle, and if there's one, Robin comes closest but is still far apart due to the elements of the attacks and his whole weapon duration system, as well as the styles of sword fighting between the two (Isaac is mostly portaited with a broad sword, and his style would resemble Link's style more).

R O F L

Smash Ace
Rumble Falls would make for nice Omega and Battlefield like stages, because of the scenery. I kinda miss it only because of that. I didn't like the stage that much in Brawl, because there was too much jank just put in there for no reason at all. It doesn't even resemble the level in Jungle Beat that much with the planes and brambles and all that.
My only problem with it is that it would look too similar to Kongo Falls, it'd basically just look like you moved the camera down a bit.

Also, regarding DKC stages, I'm suprised we don't have any stages based off the bramble stages from DKC2. Heck, they might be just as iconic as Jungle Hijinx.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Who knows what stage could be added or return.

Anyways another unpopular opinion: I Prefer it if Fawful got in SSB over Geno, but Geno would still be fun to play however. It's just that Fawful brings another comical villain to the mix, plus Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was the first Nintendo game I got (It came with my Nintendo DS) and this game was one of my main favourite games of all time.

At least they are both spirits in this game, and interestingly, I got the Fawful spirit by having Bowser use the Geno Spirit, for a bit of fun.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
If Fawful gets in and doesn't have a taunt that spawns a text box where he yells...anything really I will be massively disappointed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unpopular opinion / theory time: Smash 4 Wii U was used as a build up engine for Ultimate, and Ultimate is gonna be the build up engine for all future Smashes basically, at least when Nintendo handles it themselves when Sakurai is gone. Smash isn't gonna top Ultimate in gameplay, fanservice, and overall level of brillance without Sakurai's fine touch, and his experience with the series. Sakurai build Smash up from the bottom and with Ultimate he made the most grand competitive fighting game with the most cross overs from different gaming franchises in history with it's 70 fighters.

Therefore, there won't be a reboot. Smash Ultimate isn't gonna be topped it's gonna be the template of all future Smash Bros., and it's future will depend on Ultimate's succes alone honestly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Unpopular opinion / theory time: Smash 4 Wii U was used as a build up engine for Ultimate, and Ultimate is gonna be the build up engine for all future Smashes basically, at least when Nintendo handles it themselves when Sakurai is gone. Smash isn't gonna top Ultimate in gameplay, fanservice, and overall level of brillance without Sakurai's fine touch, and his experience with the series. Sakurai build Smash up from the bottom and with Ultimate he made the most grand competitive fighting game with the most cross overs from different gaming franchises in history with it's 70 fighters.

Therefore, there won't be a reboot. Smash Ultimate isn't gonna be topped it's gonna be the template of all future Smash Bros., and it's future will depend on Ultimate's succes alone honestly.
I truly hope you are right.

Because whose gonna think a Smash 6 with cuts will even come anywhere close to topping Ultimate. May as well end the franchise there.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I truly hope you are right.

Because whose gonna think a Smash 6 with cuts will even come anywhere close to topping Ultimate. May as well end the franchise there.
There might be cuts! I don't think that's entirely out of the question. But even if! There's possible chance of future DLC due to the character being already build up in Ultimate. Say if 3rd party characters lose the right to be in Smash due to indifferences, the character could still be saved as a template from Ulitmate and be build up in a potential future installment. Or future DLC, if the other company is hessitant if a Smash without Sakurai will become as much of a success.

It's easy money. And might even happy with unique Nintendo-owned characters. Say, the retro characters. Or Wii Fit Trainer, or Sheik, any of the Echoes or "irrelevant" characters, or simply to add some newcomers instead without needing to bloat the roster unnecessarily.

I also don't think many of future newcomers will truly feel very unique because it's tempting to build up new characters from existing material, which I already see as a small trend in Smash for a while.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
World of Light and Classic Mode are very good modes. I honestly think they’re very underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom