• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
In my experience, no, it really isn't. It's moreso just "there" when I get the finishing blow. Like I said, redundant at best, frustrating at worst.
Speak for yourself. Every special zoom hit I've landed feels extremely rewarding. I rather have certainty than guessing if my last hit killed or not (why someone would think that this kind of uncertainty is rewarding in any way boggles my mind). It's not necessary in any way but it creates more drama and hilarity, while also giving spectators a bit of a show and an easier method to track the action:
It's such an inoffensive cosmetic feature that doesn't interfere with the gameplay that I think it doesn't warrant a whole paragraph griping about it.
And it's not like its always the end when you get hit by it: the game doesn't factor DI, so like the red lightning you may potentially survive it.

What was really ridiculous was showing Plant after a whole round of new and popular Assist Trophies, never mind pointing out that Plant wasn't an AT itself. That was extremely stupid and no amount of excuses will ever make me forgive them for being so heartless to wait so long showing some of these like Isaac and Shadow and then reveal a standard Mario mook was playable instead.
That's what I liked about the whole thing. Devs had the balls to do what they wanted without worrying about pissing off a select few. Sometimes, you gotta do what feels right to you without caring what others might think.
They will always get hate anyways because people will find something to be offended by, so they might as well troll their audience a bit.

PD: Besides, I doubt Isaac enjoys as much support and popularity to the average Nintendo consumer as they do to someone on Smashboards, that the fact that he was still an Assist Trophy and not a playable character probably flew over their heads. And I say this as someone who wants Isaac and a Golden Sun revival.

2nd PD: And you'll never forgive them for something so innocuous? Damn, that's some mexican soup opera writing material right there.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Speak for yourself. Every special zoom hit I've landed feels extremely rewarding. I rather have certainty than guessing if my last hit killed or not (why someone would think that this kind of uncertainty is rewarding in any way boggles my mind).
It's sort of an "it's not over til it's over" thing. In a pre-killspark world, I could think to myself "alright, maybe this attack won't kill me" and it made me feel in control until the very end. With the special zoom/killspark, that feeling is mostly gone and it just makes me feel defeated whenever I'm on the receiving end of it.
It's such an inoffensive cosmetic feature that doesn't interfere with the gameplay that I think it doesn't warrant a whole paragraph griping about it.
No comment, other than that it's called an unpopular opinion for a reason.
And it's not like its always the end when you get hit by it: the game doesn't factor DI, so like the red lightning you may potentially survive it.
And that's part of why it bothers me so much; way more often than I should, I die to an attack when the killspark doesn't even show up, which makes me feel cheated out of a stock when I wouldn't if the killspark wasn't a thing to begin with. (I know it's probably because of DI, but the point still stands.) And then there's the times when the opposite happens and the special zoom occurs for a hit that doesn't end up killing for whatever reason (I once saw a Twitter video of this happening 7+ times over the span of about 2 minutes), which can be just as frustrating for the attacker. It frankly makes me question the mechanic's existence if it's so inconsistent to begin with, and I'd honestly prefer the spontaneity of "maybe this'll kill, maybe it won't" to having to guess whether the information the game's supplying me is correct or not. It's like if Pokemon had a similar mechanic for when your last Pokemon is about to faint, but it didn't take damage roll into account. See the problem?

Last edited:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
So, uh, I don't want Paper Mario in Smash. Now hold up! Put down the torch please I can explain!

So I've seen how Nintendo treats Paper Mario recently. It's...let me put it this way I dismissed my evolved paper bowser spirit as soon as I saw it was sticker star and not a star rodded Bowser. If Paper Mario gets in it's going to be the crappy Megaman Battle Network wannabe Paper Mario with oversided things and I don't want that in Smash. If he gets in I want the Paper Mario that got Paper Mario on the map in the first place and sadly I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
So, uh, I don't want Paper Mario in Smash. Now hold up! Put down the torch please I can explain!

So I've seen how Nintendo treats Paper Mario recently. It's...let me put it this way I dismissed my evolved paper bowser spirit as soon as I saw it was sticker star and not a star rodded Bowser. If Paper Mario gets in it's going to be the crappy Megaman Battle Network wannabe Paper Mario with oversided things and I don't want that in Smash. If he gets in I want the Paper Mario that got Paper Mario on the map in the first place and sadly I'm pretty sure that will never happen.
I see what you're saying, and I won't judge, but why does everybody say that new Paper Mario is trash ? I mean, I played Color Splash, and I enjoyed it !

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
That's what I liked about the whole thing. Devs had the balls to do what they wanted without worrying about pissing off a select few. Sometimes, you gotta do what feels right to you without caring what others might think.
They will always get hate anyways because people will find something to be offended by, so they might as well troll their audience a bit.

PD: Besides, I doubt Isaac enjoys as much support and popularity to the average Nintendo consumer as they do to someone on Smashboards, that the fact that he was still an Assist Trophy and not a playable character probably flew over their heads. And I say this as someone who wants Isaac and a Golden Sun revival.

2nd PD: And you'll never forgive them for something so innocuous? Damn, that's some mexican soup opera writing material right there.
I'm not sure if that last bit was a complement or you trying to stroke an ego. Trolling your audience isn't wise when said audience is also your market for the product you're selling. If you make the consumer unhappy with your product, they'll withdraw their money and you'll lose out on sales.

Anger is inevitable but let's not suddenly act like being d**kish is a good thing.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't understand why people are under the impression that Nintendo was trying to troll the audience or be big jerks by revealing assist trophies at the end and then showing plant after. Notice how the reveals for ATs were spread out. Waluigi and Bomberman were shown at E3. Ashley and Zero were shown during August. Isaac and Shadow were shown in Noember. Sakurai had no desire to troll his audience in any way and believing that he did just to make a statement is nothing but the toxic remains of two-month-old salt. If you're salty that your favorite character was deconfirmed during November, it's time you get over it. There is no evidence to suggest that the goal was to make people disappointed in November and believing that the company is out to get you is ridiculous.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
I see what you're saying, and I won't judge, but why does everybody say that new Paper Mario is trash ? I mean, I played Color Splash, and I enjoyed it !
It's because it took a unique and amazing battle system that could appeal to newbies to the genre of RPGs and veterans alike with no commitmit customization and quirky storytelling that would get dark at the drop of a hat (and one spinoff that preserved the latter very well) and just turned it into a crappy verson of Megaman Battle Network with almost no ability to strategize. You can't even choose what enemy to attack in those games! It picks for you! And don't get me started on the bosses which are all "hey, hope you kept this one sticker/card around because if not I'mma kill ya!"

It's like if Smash Bros decided to make the next game a medicore platformer where the only playable characters were Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu and the only multiplayer was getting your friends on the couch for co-op and never went back to the fighting.

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
Sticker Star and Color Splash removed literally everything that made the series what it was (the battle system, the story, the unique characters and locations, etc.) and replaced it with a generic papercraft world filled with nothing but Toads and paper puns of all kinds. And though I think that CS is a fun game when judged by its own merits, it doesn't hold a candle to what the series used to be. Back then, people played the games because they offered an unique and story-driven take on the Marioverse, rather than an overabundance of paper jokes.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I find it weird when people in this thread give their input on opinions that are actually unpopular just to discount them because they personally like the thing the other person is sharing an unpopular opinion about. I can understand if something dives into the realm of objectivity, but a lot of the opinions that get posted here are completely subjective. That's why it just seems strange when someone claps back at another person with an opinion that isn't unpopular to disregard an unopion that's actually unpopular in the "Unpopular Smash 5 Opinions" thread.

I'm happy for Ridley fans finally being able to use their favorite character, but I'm not going to lie, his addition was just kind of... "Meh" for me. I just find his move-set to be incredibly boring. I'm not sure why, but it's just... Eh. Despite being a purple space dragon pirate (or whatever he is in his own games), he just doesn't stand out to me.

I don't really want Fortnite characters in Smash, but some part of me is interested in seeing how Sakurai & crew would implement one into Smash.

I'd rather have Master Chief in Smash on Banjo, or Steve. I never played Halo, but he just looks cooler than the other to. Also, I'm interested in seeing how he'd be implemented.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Listen, that's not an unpopular opinion.
I meant don't want as in I'm not really campaigning for their inclusion. I don't really care if they get in or not, and honestly the idea of a Fortnite default being in Smash sounds much more interesting than someone like Joker (to me at least).

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
World of Light is a snorefest with all the repetitive tiles that are just cpus with absurd handicaps. I don't know if over time this became a popular opinion. I remember everyone raving about it. But I am bored to tears with this

And I'd love to see Paper Mario in the game. When everyone says PM sucks now and it used to be good, they're always just talking about Thousand Year Door. Color Splash wasn't as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. It was actually quite enjoyable.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
World of Light is a snorefest with all the repetitive tiles that are just cpus with absurd handicaps. I don't know if over time this became a popular opinion. I remember everyone raving about it. But I am bored to tears with this

And I'd love to see Paper Mario in the game. When everyone says PM sucks now and it used to be good, they're always just talking about Thousand Year Door. Color Splash wasn't as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. It was actually quite enjoyable.
I liked Color Splash and Super Paper Mario more than Thousand Year Door honestly

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Subspace's only saving grace were the cutscenes and the great maze (which people hated and I don't know why).

World of Light has consistently better gameplay by a country mile.
Completely agree. While yes WOL is way less ambitious than Subspace, the final product that is WOL is miles better than the final product that is Subspace

Also, on that regard, another unpopular opinion: if Spirits had just a little text description or list of games each Spirit appeared in, I'd prefer them over trophies. Seriously, I absolutely love the Spirit battles and the thought behind each one, makes the unlocking process much more fun than trophies

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Oh Color Splash is pretty good...as a Saturday Morning Cartoon you watch someone else play. As an RPG, it's complete trash. Any imporvements it made from Sticker Star are negated by the fact that you barely have any idea of how much damage you're doing because there's no numbers anywhere. Not on your attacks and not when you hit the thing. You're just flailing your cards about blindly hoping that it's enough. Even Sticker Star would give you numbers.

The most aggravating thing is that the card based RPG thing has been done before, but leagues better. Megaman Battle Network is basically modern PM done right two entire generations earlier. Sure it's partially action based but even if you're crap with movement you can still win if you build right so I feel like it's a fair comparison.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean, I'd be fine with a new Paper Mario game not in the style of TTYD provided it was actually good. SS just plain sucked, and CS was barely a decent game on its own merits. The visuals and the dialogue were the only parts of it that really stood out - even the soundtrack was forgettable for Paper Mario standards, though I will admit there were a few solid tracks in there. Dismissing everyone who bemoans the current state of Paper Mario as just a bunch of TTYD fanboys just seems contrarian and daft to me (and also doesn't really make sense since TTYD is pretty damn good by all accounts), especially since a lot of us really enjoyed SPM as well despite it deviating from the established Paper Mario style at the time, myself included. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say I like SPM better than TTYD or 64, and would be over the moon if we got a new PM in the style of Super as long as we got some new characters and an interesting story like the first three games.
But yeah, TL;DR, Paper Mario does suck now compared to what it once was, and it's not just the TTYD fans saying it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I played SS. I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first three games. I need to buy Color Splash and Paper Jam too. Regardless, it's very flawed.

And yeah, the battle system doesn't seem as obvious in CS and SS like the damage ratio is in PM and TTYD. I liked that. But I also loved the badges. The partners weren't as big of a deal to me, as long as the dialogue was cool(like with CS).

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I offended anyone lol. I just got tired of hearing my one friend go on about it all the time. And it's always about Thousand Year Door and none of the other titles. I can't rightly remember Sticker Star so that game was probably bad. I did like Color Splash though. To each their own.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ok listen World of Light was a snore after the first 10 hours. It stopped feeling like progress and more like repetitive battles against the same few fighters. Subspace in my opinion was way better since it was an enjoyable break from the constant fighting, albeit sometimes the platforming felt redundant, but at least they put effort into it. Cutscenes, interaction between characters, and an actual plot. World of Light is literally just 20+ hours of Spirit battles and bosses few and far between.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's sort of an "it's not over til it's over" thing. In a pre-killspark world, I could think to myself "alright, maybe this attack won't kill me" and it made me feel in control until the very end. With the special zoom/killspark, that feeling is mostly gone and it just makes me feel defeated whenever I'm on the receiving end of it.
As someone who is more on the dealing end than on the receiving one, this doesn't bother me at all. I've even taken screenshots of some of those moments.

And that's part of why it bothers me so much; way more often than I should
Indeed, people let innocuous stuff get the better of them. They let something so small and insignificant ruin an otherwise perfectly good experience. I'll leave that as my unpop opinion ;)

It's like if Pokemon had a similar mechanic for when your last Pokemon is about to faint, but it didn't take damage roll into account. See the problem?
Nope

I'm not sure if that last bit was a complement or you trying to stroke an ego. Trolling your audience isn't wise when said audience is also your market for the product you're selling. If you make the consumer unhappy with your product, they'll withdraw their money and you'll lose out on sales.

Anger is inevitable but let's not suddenly act like being d**kish is a good thing.
And as the story goes, people became so unhappy with Nintendo and Sakurai after that announcement that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate became one of the worst selling games of all ti-
https://twitter.com/GameDataLibrary/status/1083941528685424640 & https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/list-of-million-sellers?filterC=Smash bros

On a more serious note, announcing the plant and deconfirming a few characters as assists is far from being the most harmful thing you can do to hurt the sales of your product. Let's throw in some context: Ultimate has been a crowd pleaser since its announcement by including everyone and adding fan favorites like K. Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus and Simon Belmont. They also added almost every stage, added more options to customize the experience even further, and tweaked old mechanics to please both casual and competitive fans.
At this point, the devs have more than earned their right to exercise their creative muscles and throw in some outlandish choice like Piranha Plant. And I know that this will anger some people, because they lack proper balance in their reasoning and it will not matter what rights the dev team did them in the past, they'll only remember their current "transgression". A 100 people will probably go on social media saying how Smash is now ruined for them and that they won't buy it. Of those 100, 95 will get it anyways. Five of them might stick to their word and pass on a very enjoyable game because of their principles (read: because they are petty and entitled).
What they did on the latest direct, heartless isn't the accurate word for it.
Killing someone is heartless. Neglecting a child is heartless. Kicking a dog is heartless. Spitting on a homeless person is heartless. Deconfirming a bunch of characters that people wanted but weren't realistically a lock and announcing a Piranha Plant? Answer: Do I have to say more?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shoehorning Impa as a playable character because Zelda doesn’t have anything better or more significant to offer isn’t a bad idea. Even if Impa would end up being a Echo of Sheik. The franchise has been neglected so far that even that would be a great idea. Having Young Link back alone doesn’t do the trick.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind Impa as an echo. She'd definitely be a clone to Shiek as she trained Zelda. I know it's unpopular, because it's another Link, but it'd be so much fun to see how they could do a 2D Link Painting version from Between Worlds. His style and weight alone could make him very unique. Almost like Paper Mario style.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As someone who is more on the dealing end than on the receiving one, this doesn't bother me at all. I've even taken screenshots of some of those moments.
Well, that's your view, then, and at this point, it's abundantly clear that I'm not going to be the one to change that. Still, I'm not quite sure why you're trying to disprove my opinion with yet another opinion...?
Indeed, people let innocuous stuff get the better of them. They let something so small and insignificant ruin an otherwise perfectly good experience. I'll leave that as my unpop opinion ;)
I'm honestly not sure if you intentionally took this part of my post out of context or not (because you absolutely did, whether you intended to or not), but either way, I never once implied that the special zoom or the killspark "ruined" the game for me. It's just something I'd rather wasn't in the game, hence my unpopular opinion in the Unpopular Opinions thread.
Then I can't help you and it looks like we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Good day, sir.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
not related to Smash but Color Splash is awesome imo haha, I like it a lot
which in turn makes me need some Color Splash representation if Paper Mario ever got into Smash (I actually thought just one music track was far from enough). In fact, all the talk of the fanbase saying Paper Mario should only have stuff from his first two games in his moveset (I've seen that a lot) kinda turned me off the character altogether

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I would totally love for that Shyguy Bandit song to be part of the Smash roster.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Shoehorning Impa as a playable character because Zelda doesn’t have anything better or more significant to offer isn’t a bad idea. Even if Impa would end up being a Echo of Sheik. The franchise has been neglected so far that even that would be a great idea. Having Young Link back alone doesn’t do the trick.
Tetra could be cool too and actually somewhat unique. I mean you could make her a semi-clone of Toon Link or you could do something completely new. Plus she’s actually super significant

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I always though of her and maybe she could do what Zelda did in Melee and switch from Tetra to Toon Zelda. And Toon Zelda would be magic based and Tetra would be like Shiek but in her own way

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I always though of her and maybe she could do what Zelda did in Melee and switch from Tetra to Toon Zelda. And Toon Zelda would be magic based and Tetra would be like Shiek but in her own way
Yeah exactly, it could work like that. Compared to all the other Zelda characters suggested Tetra would be the most significant

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
The following characters are equivalent in strength when it comes to their popularity or relevance to Nintendo (or gaming as a whole)

:ulticeclimbers:
:ultrob:
:ultfalco:
:ultgnw:
:ultlucas:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultzss:
:ultroy:
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Krystal
Andy (Advance Wars)

While these characters are (or would be) nice additions to the roster, they are absolutely inconsequential to it.

:ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer:and:ultsheik: are slightly above all of these characters simply because of the massive recognizability to them.

There are other veterans I might put on this list, but most of them are either echoes, clones or characters from modern franchises that still have some novelty to them, so they don't really fit.

Edit: Im on the fence about Ness in hindsight. Is he popular because of Smash or is he just popular?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The following characters are equivalent in strength when it comes to their popularity or relevance to Nintendo (or gaming as a whole)

:ulticeclimbers:
:ultrob:
:ultfalco:
:ultgnw:
:ultlucas:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultzss:
:ultroy:
Ashley
Waluigi
Geno
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Krystal
Andy (Advance Wars)

While these characters are (or would be) nice additions to the roster, they are absolutely inconsequential to it.

:ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer:and:ultsheik: are slightly above all of these characters simply because of the massive recognizability to them.

There are other veterans I might put on this list, but most of them are either echoes, clones or characters from modern franchises that still have some novelty to them, so they don't really fit.

Edit: Im on the fence about Ness in hindsight. Is he popular because of Smash or is he just popular?
>Sheik
>recognizable

Try again. What little recognizability Sheik has is a direct result of Smash.

D

Deleted member

>Sheik
>recognizable

sheik is a major character in one of the best selling games of all time that is also considered to be incredibly revolutionary to the gaming industry

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Earthbound is an insanely influential game (see: stuff like the South Park games and Undertale), and ROB was a vital part of the early success of the NES.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
>Sheik
>recognizable

Are you saying that Sheik, a major character from Ocarina of Time, is not recognizable?

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Sheik is the Zelda equivalent of OG Sailor Moon's Tuxedo Mask. They show up a lot, look cool, and barely do anything.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ness would be.....remembered, if he was cut in Melee/Brawl like planned and never brought back until now. I'd say most of his popularity these days comes from Smash more than his home series, although there are plenty of people who respect him because of his origins and not Smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Are you saying that Sheik, a major character from Ocarina of Time, is not recognizable?
That may be true, but regardless, Sheik isn't recognizable in the same way that Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer are recognizable. Plant is recognizable to pretty much anyone who's ever touched a Mario game. Wii Fit is recognizable to anyone who's ever owned a Wii. Sheik is recognizable to Smash fans and Zelda fans. The former two are liable to be recognized by the general public, whereas Sheik really isn't, so putting them on the same level doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah Sheik is recognizable in the same way the ****ing tutorial owl or OoT Impa is recognizable.

At that point, you could justify the brat that won't let you pass without the kokiri sword and deku shield.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah Sheik is recognizable in the same way the ****ing tutorial owl or OoT Impa is recognizable.

At that point, you could justify the brat that won't let you pass without the kokiri sword and deku shield.
Honestly, he'd probably be more remembered than Sheik if it wasn't for Smash, which is kind of hilarious.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sooo....Geno is basically Mario’s Sheik then?:4pacman:

-While I do hate cuts like everyone else, I don’t think they’re that bad.
Like company issue cuts like :ultcloud: and :ultsnake: would suck hard, I mean hell, it’s Smash 101 that cutting clones like :ultdoc: and :ultdarkpit:won’t magically give you a brand new character but the only reason would they even be missed is because of gameplay reasons, they obviously have mains and nobody likes having their main removed.

But if you ask me, cutting unique characters like :ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer: & :ultcorrin: in favor for Waluigi, Dixie, & Bandana Dee sounds like a good deal to me.

Now if you’ll excuse, I need to hide in my bunker from he upcoming angry WFT/Corrin/PP mains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom