• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I think Piranha plants addition was pretty silly. In terms of Mario characters, they were so many more that would have made more sense, not just Geno. King boo in particular. It's not an entitlement thing, I'll take a new character over not having a new character, but they could have appealed to a wider fan base which is generally want you would want to do? At least they did a good job with him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Battletoads are the only Microsoft characters that I'd love to see in Smash. :p

Also, my worst matchup in this game is accidental-airdodge due to how Hyper sensitive shoulder buttons are on the joycons.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I honestly feel like there’s an heir of entitlement with people wanting or not wanting characters to be in the game. We have over 70 characters and it’s an amazing game with no glaring roster holes and characters like Daisy that were added as pure fan service. Please stop whining about your niche character that 90% of the people playing Smash don’t even know not getting into the game. You’re just hampering your own enjoyment of the game by setting expectations that any one character will get in especially super niche picks like Geno or Issac

Be happy with the game and roster Sakurai and his team poured their hearts into. I’ve never seen another game with this much entitlement around roster selection and it’s really offputting

People bought the game, they are entitled to say whatever they want. And I couldn't care less about Sakurai's storytelling (because yeah, saying how hard it was hard to do what you did is a basic notion of communication).
The vast majority of the roster is obscure anyway for the larger audience.

Stop with that moralist bull****. :laugh:

So here's another unpopular opinion: Sakurai is annoying and Smash doesn't need him at all, just like the Mario doesn't need Miyamoto anymore

And to the people who are going to say that I'm whining because they don't have anything else to say: I got my most wanted character, so, piss off.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Also, my worst matchup in this game is accidental-airdodge due to how Hyper sensitive shoulder buttons are on the joycons.
They really need to bring back the old buffer system. Almost every time I try to SDI or tech offstage I accidentally airdodge or even worse DAD and end up SD'ing. They even made it harder to RAR.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They really need to bring back the old buffer system. Almost every time I try to SDI or tech offstage I accidentally airdodge or even worse DAD and end up SD'ing. They even made it harder to RAR.
Oh yeah, absolutely! SD'ing for attempting to tech is infuriating! I don't recall accidentally doing this in Melee. (Then again, stronger shoulder buttons)

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I think Piranha plants addition was pretty silly. In terms of Mario characters, they were so many more that would have made more sense, not just Geno. King boo in particular. It's not an entitlement thing, I'll take a new character over not having a new character, but they could have appealed to a wider fan base which is generally want you would want to do? At least they did a good job with him.
What was really ridiculous was showing Plant after a whole round of new and popular Assist Trophies, never mind pointing out that Plant wasn't an AT itself. That was extremely stupid and no amount of excuses will ever make me forgive them for being so heartless to wait so long showing some of these like Isaac and Shadow and then reveal a standard Mario mook was playable instead.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
People bought the game, they are entitled to say whatever they want. And I couldn't care less about Sakurai's storytelling (because yeah, saying how hard it was hard to do what you did is a basic notion of communication).
The vast majority of the roster is obscure anyway for the larger audience.

Stop with that moralist bull****. :laugh:
People can want whoever they want in the game and voice their opinion and I’m fine with that. It’s when people start complaining that X character got in and “stole” Y character’s roster spot that it gets ridiculous. I’m all for obscure picks and I’m not against these characters getting in the game but getting your hopes up for them in the DLC is almost inevitable disappointment. I’ve seen people who complain about enjoying the game less because of their picks not getting in and that’s fine, but it’s still entitlement. It’s only the extreme cases that are annoying. Accepting the amazing game we have is a much better philosophy, as well as hoping without expecting

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This plant gang crap is pretty ****ing stupid and it's getting on my nerves.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Alright, I will say it. No first or second party franchises in smash are, or can be, overrepresented, in my opinion. Just having more presense. More of one good thing, does not undermine the rest of the good things somehow. If the next playable character is Lyn, Dr. Luigi, Gooey, Gengar, Fierce Deity Toon Young Wolf Link or Magnus, I will be fine with it.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-This probably isn’t unpopular but Sonic is way overdue for a newcomer.

This plant gang crap is pretty ****ing stupid and it's getting on my nerves.
To be fair, now that PP is released it’s become less “ahaha he’s in over your favorite!” and more genuine love for the plant.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
It should've been Bulbasaur & Wartortle on PT's team. That way the order of evolution also follows Pokedex order & the literal 1st Pokemon (going by the dex anyway) would be playable.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
-This probably isn’t unpopular but Sonic is way overdue for a newcomer.
Ok I’m gonna get crucified for this but I don’t think I’ve liked one Sonic game, they feel janky and unfinished to me and the controls are never tight and that’s exactly how Sonic feels in Smash. I think most people wanted Sonic for nostalgia purposes and not because his games were all that good which is fine but I don’t think he deserves to be the icon he is and I DEFINITELY don’t want anymore Sonic characters in Smash (especially “The King of Edgelords Shadow”)

I think Crash, Spyro, Banjo and Kazooie, and even Rayman have much better games than him they’re just not as iconic for some reason

Last edited:

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Lol. Yeah, even Sonic Team publicly apologized for releasing a slew of crap games. I thought adventure one and two were pretty decent, but for some reason the concept of making decent camera controls eludes them. I don't get it.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Ok I’m gonna get crucified for this but I don’t think I’ve liked one Sonic game, they feel janky and unfinished to me and the controls are never tight and that’s exactly how Sonic feels in Smash. I think most people wanted Sonic for nostalgia purposes and not because his games were all that good which is fine but I don’t think he deserves to be the icon he is and I DEFINITELY don’t want anymore Sonic characters in Smash (especially “The King of Edgelords Shadow”)

I think Crash, Spyro, Banjo and Kazooie, and even Rayman have much better games than him they’re just not as iconic for some reason
Mania proves you wrong

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
The genesis Sonic games were fun as heck, the Adventure games while cheesy as hell in the story department, gave a lot of fun and zany gameplay that despite the camera is still a largely enjoyable experience. Heroes had a fun gimmick that worked in it's favor although playing through similar stages 4 times over can get annoying. Unleashed had genuinely fun daytime stages and while not great the nighttime stuff can be a bit of a guilty pleasure. Generations though is a straight up great game that while largely nostalgia-based, delivered a bunch of really fun stages that played to Sonic's strengths pretty well (high action thrills with a bit of platforming alongside a slew of multiple paths). Colors was also great with it's own power-up gimmick that worked well and Mania was just great because it was refined as hell classic Sonic which many fans were happy with. The rest of them end up being the type of games that run the fine line of ok and crap, which is where a lot of guilty pleasures come out of (Like I enjoy Sonic and the Black Knight despite it not being on the more favorable end of the games).
Basically there's a lot of Sonic games out there that are either ok or meh and so that ends up being on the forefront of people's minds when they think of the franchise but there's also a large sum of genuinely great games that don't get seen as such by the non-fans due to negative remarks being much more noticeable than favorable ones. Plus with a franchise that has done so much with itself it's hard to please such a large of group of people who enjoy the games for entirely different reasons

To get back on topic, if I could chose to trim down the fighter pass character amount by like 1 or 2 to spend that time to put in some older game modes like Smash Run, Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, etc I would. New characters are cool but I also very much enjoy the side modes as well and I'd pay without a second thought to have a 4 player split screen/online Smash Run mode

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Ganon is still bottom tier and none of his buffs made much a difference as they were either universal buffs that helped everyone else far more, or he lost valuable tools that don’t make up for any buffs he received.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The genesis Sonic games were fun as heck, the Adventure games while cheesy as hell in the story department, gave a lot of fun and zany gameplay that despite the camera is still a largely enjoyable experience. Heroes had a fun gimmick that worked in it's favor although playing through similar stages 4 times over can get annoying. Unleashed had genuinely fun daytime stages and while not great the nighttime stuff can be a bit of a guilty pleasure. Generations though is a straight up great game that while largely nostalgia-based, delivered a bunch of really fun stages that played to Sonic's strengths pretty well (high action thrills with a bit of platforming alongside a slew of multiple paths). Colors was also great with it's own power-up gimmick that worked well and Mania was just great because it was refined as hell classic Sonic which many fans were happy with. The rest of them end up being the type of games that run the fine line of ok and crap, which is where a lot of guilty pleasures come out of (Like I enjoy Sonic and the Black Knight despite it not being on the more favorable end of the games).
Basically there's a lot of Sonic games out there that are either ok or meh and so that ends up being on the forefront of people's minds when they think of the franchise but there's also a large sum of genuinely great games that don't get seen as such by the non-fans due to negative remarks being much more noticeable than favorable ones. Plus with a franchise that has done so much with itself it's hard to please such a large of group of people who enjoy the games for entirely different reasons

To get back on topic, if I could chose to trim down the fighter pass character amount by like 1 or 2 to spend that time to put in some older game modes like Smash Run, Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, etc I would. New characters are cool but I also very much enjoy the side modes as well and I'd pay without a second thought to have a 4 player split screen/online Smash Run mode
I understand where you’re coming from and I won’t hate on anyone for loving Sonic games, and believe me I’ve tried. The Genesis ones feel janky as hell to me, they don’t control right, the background blends in with the foreground, I get lost in the camera, etc... and they’re supposed to be the best ones. I played a little Mania and it was more of the same to me honestly. And don’t even get my started on Sonic’s strange story and “lore”

I just don’t think they’re very well made games at all and that’s why I don’t love Sonic as a character in Smash because he literally plays like he does in his games. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy for all his fans that he’s in and he undoubtably deserves the spot because so many people love his games. It’s just my opinion on Sonic in general and him related to Smash. The side scrolling Mario games were so much better it’s not even comparable

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
DLC is developed by a smaller team which probably can't handle stuff like big modes.

I understand where you’re coming from and I won’t hate on anyone for loving Sonic games, and believe me I’ve tried. The Genesis ones feel janky as hell to me, they don’t control right, the background blends in with the foreground, I get lost in the camera, etc... and they’re supposed to be the best ones. I played a little Mania and it was more of the same to me honestly. And don’t even get my started on Sonic’s strange story and “lore”

I just don’t think they’re very well made games at all and that’s why I don’t love Sonic as a character in Smash because he literally plays like he does in his games. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy for all his fans that he’s in and he undoubtably deserves the spot because so many people love his games. It’s just my opinion on Sonic in general and him related to Smash. The side scrolling Mario games were so much better it’s not even comparable
Genesis ones aren't the best ones objectively.

Also, apples and oranges. Sonic games aren't supposed to have precise controls like Mario.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I'm interested. Keep talking.
You know, Fierce Deity Toon Young Wolf Link. The time Link drank one to many magic potions as a child and was morphed into a magical dog, before having the fierce deities mask attached to his face by a pissed off Deku Tree. It came after Breath of Majoras Twilight Wind in the timeline, according to Chronicles.

I think similarly to this, though I would go further and compare Sonic to Bubsy in that both are animal mascots with typically broken gameplay experiences, but none the less dedicated fan-bases. They are two sides of the same coin. Sonic landed face up and continued to stay in the public eye, Bubsy landed face down and faded into meme culture. Im glad some people got more out of those games then I did, but I still kind of regret getting WoL 100%, when I could have just kept Sonic perminantly locked off the CS screen.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
You know, Fierce Deity Toon Young Wolf Link. The time Link drank one to many magic potions as a child and was morphed into a magical dog, before having the fierce deities mask attached to his face by a pissed off Deku Tree. It came after Breath of Majoras Twilight Wind in the timeline, according to Chronicles.

I think similarly to this, though I would go further and compare Sonic to Bubsy in that both are animal mascots with typically broken gameplay experiences, but none the less dedicated fan-bases. They are two sides of the same coin. Sonic landed face up and continued to stay in the public eye, Bubsy landed face down and faded into meme culture. Im glad some people got more out of those games then I did, but I still kind of regret getting WoL 100%, when I could have just kept Sonic perminantly locked off the CS screen.
When my friends and I play random battles we auto suicide when we get Sonic lmao

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Mania was fan made, IIRC. Just published by Sega.
False, they recruited several developers well-known from the community but Takashi Izuka & other Sonic Team staff were involved in Mania's development, they also received help from PagodaWest Games and Simon Thomley's independent company Headcannon.

D

Deleted member

It should've been Bulbasaur & Wartortle on PT's team. That way the order of evolution also follows Pokedex order
:001: :006: :008:

Charizard breaks that logic.
It would have to be Bulbasaur -> Charmeleon -> Blastoise.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Uh... you have to rescue Sonic to complete World of Light. He blocks the path to the Master Sword in the Sacred Land.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Uh... you have to rescue Sonic to complete World of Light. He blocks the path to the Master Sword in the Sacred Land.
That's what they said. They could've keep Sonic out of CSS if they gave up on completing the Adventure Mode.

It's the most childish and petty thing I've ever heard, but they didn't contradict with themselves.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I really hate the new last-stock freezeframe mechanic they added in this game. Half the time, it doesn't even work, and when it does, it's just frustrating and humiliating for the person on the receiving end of the final attack. What even is the point of it? If it's supposed to add "hype", that's kind of superfluous, in my book, as last-stock scenarios are already hype enough without adding the fighting game equivalent of a laugh track. If anything, I actually really enjoyed guessing whether an attack was gonna send me flying off the screen in past games, especially since DI exists. In this game, I don't even have that, as the game basically tells me when to put down the controller and accept my fate. The killspark introduced in Smash 4 is kind of the same way, but at least that doesn't zoom in and make a big show of my death.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really hate the new last-stock freezeframe mechanic they added in this game. Half the time, it doesn't even work, and when it does, it's just frustrating and humiliating for the person on the receiving end of the final attack. What even is the point of it? If it's supposed to add "hype", that's kind of superfluous, in my book, as last-stock scenarios are already hype enough without adding the fighting game equivalent of a laugh track. If anything, I actually really enjoyed guessing whether an attack was gonna send me flying off the screen in past games, especially since DI exists. In this game, I don't even have that, as the game basically tells me when to put down the controller and accept my fate. The killspark introduced in Smash 4 is kind of the same way, but at least that doesn't zoom in and make a big show of my death.
From the perspective of the person delivering the final blow, it's pretty hype though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
From the perspective of the person delivering the final blow, it's pretty hype though.
And when you can't tell whether you hit your opponent or your opponent hit you (or you hit each other at around the same time), it's nerve-wracking.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
In my experience, no, it really isn't. It's moreso just "there" when I get the finishing blow. Like I said, redundant at best, frustrating at worst.

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I would be completely fine with Steve in Smash (in fact, I actually kind of want him) if they could make him move and feel right.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Smashboards should have an official tips and advice thread for newcomers so the General can stop being flooded with the "I suck at Smash" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom