• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you read the first post it clearly states that one of the stipulations of this thread is to not criticize another's unpopular opinion so as not to start debate. Please follow that one rule in this thread. Thanks.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, here's something that's apparently an unpopular opinion: While I like pretty much all third-party characters in Smash, I really don't want any more. There really don't need to be any more third-party DLC characters, and the Fighter's Pass would be more interesting and of more value to me if I somehow received official word that Joker would be the only third-party. As a matter of fact, I'm not gonna get it until there's a character that at least somewhat interests me - and Joker, as well as the most speculated second character, Erdrick, aren't interesting enough for me to purchase the pack.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
That reminds me of another, I don't like how people seem to think you have to be a "purist" to want fewer third parties. There is such a thing as a middle ground. I want no more, and maybe a few cuts, but I don't call for them all to be removed.

It would also be nice if the fighter pass had some first party content for those who bought it not wanting only third parties (though, buyer beware).

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd rather have no fighters than any of the third parties we currently have. At this point the only third party characters I can think would make sense to be in Smash would be Crash and Master Chief. Everyone else can go. They all suck.

I really wish we could just focus on Nintendo characters than the ****load of dumb newcomer pitches we have today.

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
"I can’t help but wonder if the series would be more cohesive if there wasn’t the constant distraction of third parties and Nintendo just went crazy with their own IPs." You're making a clear connection here, even though there is no reason to assume not adding third party characters would give their "slots" to other Nintendo franchises. Not saying you have to like the content from third parties in Smash, but I felt you could have worded yourself better or present a more well-thought argument against them.

Second part is unnecessarily emotional, so I'm not touching it.
You’re not getting it. It doesn’t matter anyway. It’s a passing thought I had about a video game. This shouldn’t be an argument. Drop it.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
First party characters should stop being added completely, bar Waluigi. There is no one left worth adding that isn't a third party.

And if you disagree, garbage flash games will always exist
I think Smash could use some Xenoblade characters.

And jokes on you, Robert! I don't have to play those ****ty flash games! >:v

ArcticKat

Smash Rookie
Team battles are a lot better than 1-on-1 battles.
It’s so irritating how hard it is to assemble a team battle online when so many people keep opting for 1-on-1….

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I'd rather have no fighters than any of the third parties we currently have.
Now when you say "no fighters," are you referring just to newcomers, or would you be in favor of making a fighting game with literally 0 characters?

Could this be it?

Is this finally happening?

Are we finally doing it?

Are we finally going to have a fighting game with ZERO playable characters? The greatest fighting game of all time? :O

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Why are some people getting sour about 3rd Parties?

Smash at this point is a gaming crossover with a huge Nintendo focus since it’s from the main company, they’ve basically dropped the Nintendo All-Star shtick since Melee.

There are plenty of other 3rd Parties that are just worthy of any Nintendo candidates.

Crash, Banjo, Bomberman, Rayman, Shantae, Shovel Knight etc.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Smash at this point is a gaming crossover with a huge Nintendo focus since it’s from the main company, they’ve basically dropped the Nintendo All-Star shtick since Melee.

There are plenty of other 3rd Parties that are just worthy of any Nintendo candidates.

Platforming characters?

I can get not liking their inclusion, but considering they could be in Smash as early as Melee, I can't really agree when people say they don't belong in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really dislike most of the Splatoon music in Ultimate, namely the ported songs. The remixes are almost always 100% better.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm apathetic to the grand majority of 3rd parties. I'm not against them, but I won't be overjoyed if they get in. That being said, I'd be very dissapointed if the Fighters Pass was all 3rd parties, they should've balanced it a little (or release another one that's exclusively 1st parties)

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I kind of wish that the remaining third party characters are all anime characters just to spite the "Smash has too much anime!" bandwagon.
They are really annoying and immature.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I know were not suppose to critize others opinios, but do you think that's a little over the top, Rocket? Like, I can understand wanting more "anime" styled characters because you like the aesthic, but wanting them just to spite people seems a bit... Immature. Like, I don't know why you'd actively want people to be upset & cause unrest within the Smash community.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I know were not suppose to critize others opinios, but do you think that's a little over the top, Rocket? Like, I can understand wanting more "anime" styled characters because you like the aesthic, but wanting them just to spite people seems a bit... Immature. Like, I don't know why you'd actively want people to be upset & cause unrest within the Smash community.
Agreed, to want something just to spite others is unnecessary if you ask me, but oh well.

Also, of any first parties not deconfirmed by spirits, the only one I really think could be cool would be Porky (although Sylux might be alright too). I am honestly actively kinda hoping that all of the dlc is third parties for this reason, and honestly hope that rumor of the five turns out to be true because all of those sound like super iconic, hype picks

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You get Reyn.
Does...does this mean what I think it means?
What_a_buncha_Jokers.jpg

Alternate Character Interpretation: You can also interpret some of the anti-3rd-Party comments as mockery of non-ironic anti-3rd-Party comments.

Alternatively to that still, there is such a thing as expressing this belief in a dignified, polite manner rather than the way some parts of the fandom voice their disdain for 3rd-parties, which are unnecessarily rude and obnoxious about it.

I get where Rocket is coming from though, but any sort of "spite" should be kept at a bare minimum. At the least, you should like the character you're sponsoring rather than doing so because someone else dislikes that character.

I, for instance, love the Xenoblade 2 cast, so I'm used to seeing a ton of hate flung in its general direction, especially when Smash is brought up. I'd love to have Rex & Pyra or some variation of the cast playable in Smash proper, but I also derive joy from the idea that it happening at some point will make the anti-Xenoblade babies mad. Killing 2 Tirkins with one stone, really.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Never played Xenoblade 2, but I wish Rex had gotten DLC treatment and not a Mii Outfit. They had a perfect candidate for first (or second) party DLC right there!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Now when you say "no fighters," are you referring just to newcomers, or would you be in favor of making a fighting game with literally 0 characters?

Could this be it?

Is this finally happening?

Are we finally doing it?

Are we finally going to have a fighting game with ZERO playable characters? The greatest fighting game of all time? :O
YES

I mean, if I was given the option of adding a fighter like Tails or Erdrick versus no newcomer at all, I'd pick no newcomer.
I really dislike most of the Splatoon music in Ultimate, namely the ported songs. The remixes are almost always 100% better.
Dear lordie the splatoon music in this game is bad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
YES

I mean, if I was given the option of adding a fighter like Tails or Erdrick versus no newcomer at all, I'd pick no newcomer.

Dear lordie the splatoon music in this game is bad.
I honestly don't understand why some Splatoon fans hate the remix of Splattack. It's a major improvement over the original in nearly every aspect, plus the ska-like brass section definitely makes it feel more 90s in aesthetic. Pretty much the only three Splatoon songs I like are Calamari Inkantation and the remixes of Splattack and Bomb Rush Blush.

Meanwhile whatever that songs is that plays in Sheldon's shop is horrible.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I honestly don't understand why some Splatoon fans hate the remix of Splattack. It's a major improvement over the original in nearly every aspect, plus the ska-like brass section definitely makes it feel more 90s in aesthetic. Pretty much the only three Splatoon songs I like are Calamari Inkantation and the remixes of Splattack and Bomb Rush Blush.

Meanwhile whatever that songs is that plays in Sheldon's shop is horrible.
As a splatoon fan the new remix doesn't really fit the whole meta/rock/pop theme splatoon normally employs and takes a different take and sounds more like an eight grade trumpet section trying to play Flight of the Bumblebee.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem with newcomer clones. They're like little added bonuses you weren't expecting. Sure, maybe you don't need them, but it's nice to have them anyway.
I'm actually kind of annoyed we didn't get more of them after they made such a big deal of creating an entire named category for them (Echo Fighters).

At the risk of creating a bloated, runaway roster of characters nobody would ever use, there were so many obvious options for Echoes I'm susprised they put in so few. Just off the top of my head:
- Donkey Kong / Funky Kong
- Ness / Ninten
- Captain Falcon / Blaziken
- Sheik / Impa
- Ganondorf / Demise / Hades
- Diddy Kong / Dixie Kong
- Sonic / Knuckles / Shadow
- Olimar / Louie / Alph
- Palutena / Medusa
- Robin / Celica
- Inkling / Octoling

I'm not necessarily advocating for this (except for Hades), it just surprises me that they announced a category of fighters with such fanfare only to barely use it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm actually kind of annoyed we didn't get more of them after they made such a big deal of creating an entire named category for them (Echo Fighters).

At the risk of creating a bloated, runaway roster of characters nobody would ever use, there were so many obvious options for Echoes I'm susprised they put in so few. Just off the top of my head:
- Ness / Ninten
- Sheik / Impa
- Olimar / Louie / Alph
- Palutena / Medusa
- Robin / Celica
- Inkling / Octoling

I'm not necessarily advocating for this (except for Hades), it just surprises me that they announced a category of fighters with such fanfare only to barely use it
Personally I couldn't see Celica working as a Robin echo. Her canonical swordplay and style of casting is so radically different from Robin's that I couldn't see it working at all.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Personally I couldn't see Celica working as a Robin echo. Her canonical swordplay and style of casting is so radically different from Robin's that I couldn't see it working at all.
Canon means little when it comes to echoes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It seems odd that now people want clones to be 95% identical to the original fighter, while Lucas and Wolf were missed for being extremely distinct clones to the point where people doubted if Wolf could even be called a semi-clone.

I of course want some more echoes myself, but it just seems odd that we now **** on semiclones because we can't stack every fighter behind Mario or whatever.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Canon means little when it comes to echoes.
Lucina is the exception, not the rule. For as different as Lucina and Marth are canonically, Celica being a Robin echo would be like Marth being an Ike echo.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think that the optimal amount of echoes should have been three more. Being Alph, Medusa and a Charizard echo. Specifically because:
  • According to interviews, the original echoes (:4lucina: specifically, same could be assumed about :4darkpit:) is that they were originally going to be pallete swaps to their original character. Alph was also set as an Olimar swap.
  • One theory on why we had echo fighters was the removal of custom moves, and Palutena was one of the characters who relied on custom moves the most in Smash 4 besides the Miis. Medusa could have used the unique special leftover from Palutena's moveset.
  • Charizard should have gotten an echo similar to Chrom, except using Rock Smash instead of Switch. This would appeal to the solo-zard mains.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Defensive play in competitive smash is not a sin and is genuinely enjoyable to watch.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It seems odd that now people want clones to be 95% identical to the original fighter, while Lucas and Wolf were missed for being extremely distinct clones to the point where people doubted if Wolf could even be called a semi-clone.

I of course want some more echoes myself, but it just seems odd that we now **** on semiclones because we can't stack every fighter behind Mario or whatever.
I personally want them to be so different that they're true to character and provide their own gameplay style.
Or exactly the same so I can appreciate their animations without a slight advantage or disadvantage.

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultcloud: and especially :ultbayonetta: are a bit underrated. Cloud, aside from Limit changes, can do most of what he could in Smash 4, even at the cost of less range. Bayo has not had a widely noticeable playerbase at the moment yet to prove she is terrible at all.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Lucina is the exception, not the rule. For as different as Lucina and Marth are canonically, Celica being a Robin echo would be like Marth being an Ike echo.
To be fair Celica is essentially Marth's echo in Warriors. Is Robin a worse fit than Marth? Genuine question as I'm not familiar enough with Celica.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dark Samus? Chrom?
Dark Samus?
Chrom, over all, is fairly representative of his canon self. His playstyle fits his reckless and aggressive nature.
Dark Samus I'll concede on though.

To be fair Celica is essentially Marth's echo in Warriors. Is Robin a worse fit than Marth? Genuine question as I'm not familiar enough with Celica.
Warriors also had the limitation of each character only being able to use one weapon type, and they didn't want her casting through tomes like Robin or Leo. Add in the fact that she was added last-minute and that led to how she was there.

Basically, the reasons she ended up as a Marth clone there are reasons that wouldn't be relevant to Smash, as it was a limitation brought on by Warriors' development cycle.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Chrom, over all, is fairly representative of his canon self. His playstyle fits his reckless and aggressive nature.
Dark Samus I'll concede on though.

Warriors also had the limitation of each character only being able to use one weapon type, and they didn't want her casting through tomes like Robin or Leo. Add in the fact that she was added last-minute and that led to how she was there.

Basically, the reasons she ended up as a Marth clone there are reasons that wouldn't be relevant to Smash, as it was a limitation brought on by Warriors' development cycle.
And I can buy that for a clone's first addition, but any games move forward I stop buying it. They made Lucina even more samey and they still have yet to make Ganondorf what he could and should be. Personal bias aside, he's probably still the worst example as one of Nintendo's greatest villains deserves better.

However, for Warriors, I blame the devs as they really should have planned for Lucina from the start given their three game focus and her being so important to one of those games.

And a bit of an ironic bit, in the Awakening trailer, Lucina is actually fairly accurate during the cutscenes.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

- Ness / Ninten
- Sheik / Impa
- Olimar / Louie / Alph
- Palutena / Medusa
- Robin / Celica
- Inkling / Octoling

They still require time and effort, after all. It's not like they can add a ton of characters just because they could work.

I didn't see anyone ****ing on semi-clones, tbh. Unless you count some fans hating Isabelle because she "stole" development time from their faves.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ganondorf is honestly fine representation-wise, and if he had been introduced to the series in the state he is now, he'd probably be viewed as a wholly unique character and nobody would complain about his moveset not being original enough. The only thing I might do to make his moveset fit the character better is add the dead-man's-volley attack he uses in a lot of his boss fights in place of one of his specials. (And even then, imagine Ganondorf with a projectile. No.)

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
While I've got nothing against the character Piranha Plant being playable, when it was first announced it came off that many people only liked it because "LOL U so Salty" whereas I'm pretty sure in other cases it would've been disliked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom