• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t know if this is unpopular but I don’t care at all about World of Light or spirits and it annoys me when I have to buy expensive spirits to clear space for costumes and songs

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Another Pokemon-related unpopular opinion from me: I don't think it matters which generations are represented in Smash. Nobody specifically points out which games need reps in other series (i.e. "Link's Awakening needs a character! Marin for Smash!" "Tropical Freeze needs a character! Lord Frederick for Smash!"), so why Pokemon?
Nah I have seen a fair share of characters getting brought up just to represent a certain game in a franchise as well, Zelda characters like Skull Kid and the BotW Champions, but also characters like Ninten and Geno come to mind.
Not saying all fans of those characters do that or specifically calling them out or anything as there are others too, but the whole "individual gen/game in series needs a rep" thing also happen outside of the Pokemon circles.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I explained this before: It's less about newcomers being shoved down our throats and more about seeing the fighter for the first time. When I saw incineroar, I was more on the side of "Oh look, there's our obligatory pokemon," and less "Wow! A fighter they must have chosen from ground up!" It would have been nicer to get a newcomer that wasn't more or less shoehorned in.

I feel like another newcomer we could have done without was Isabelle, and I don't really need to explain this one. Her character isn't the type that fights at all to begin with, and half of her moves are ripped from villager. The only reason I pick her instead of villager is for the occasional meme.

Personally I think that Chrom, Daisy, and RIchter weren't that necessary. Daisy and Richter are basically reskins of the fighter they're echoing (I know Dark Samus is too but it's nice to see more than two Metroid characters as fighters) and Chrom is a clone of a clone, raising our Marth count to four.

To put it simply I feel like they had better options than the newcomers we got. There were a lot of newcomers who were just unnecessary clones and/or shoehorned in. And I'm not talking about fighters I personally want, that would be hypocritical. There were dozens of newcomer options, and only a few of them I wanted in (most of my newcomer wants had pretty low chances of getting in anyway).

I would say that most characters are unnecessary as long as they are not from Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK or Pokemon. But because its in the devs' capacity, we get to have a diverse roster. Daisy and Richter are indeed reskins of existing characters that happen to have their own slot, but that doesn't mean that their addition is bad or unwelcome. More options are a good thing even if its just on an aesthetic level. Like if I want to play as a Belmont, I'll pick Richter over Simon because I find his design more pleasing. The same is true for people who pick Simon.
Same with Chrom, but his sword mechanics and Up Special make a significant difference in gameplay to justify his presence as more than an alt. Both Roy and Chrom have an updated moveset since Smash 4 that has differed a lot from Marth in stats, function and animation, so calling them a Marth clone would be inaccurate. You could say semi clone at most.
If echoes bothers someone that much, they can just merge the roster slots and they'll be golden, since the game then treats them as skins.

I feel like another newcomer we could have done without was Isabelle, and I don't really need to explain this one. Her character isn't the type that fights at all to begin with, and half of her moves are ripped from villager. The only reason I pick her instead of villager is for the occasional meme.
*sigh*

I can say a lot about this, but I won't touch this one for now.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think that the characters chosen as echoes are better than the characters chosen to be the Melee clones.
:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultyounglink::ultpichu: vs :ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultrichter: (:ultlucina::ultdarkpit:)
With the echoes, they were popular characters within their own franchises, while we got Mario with a medical degree, Link before puberty, a character who wasn't even a character at the point and a crime of stealing a unique moveset from Ganondorf that he deserved.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
If you would be so courteous as to allow me to retract a previous opinion, before the release of ultimate I was completely opposed to the idea of further decloning Ganondorf, as I find him to be far more fun to play as then Captain Falcon in every Smash. Additionally, I was rooting for Linkle to get in as BOTW link's echo fighter.

However, now that I have discovered that I just can't stomach the gameplay changes made Ganondorf (and that my liking Link in Smash 4 was a complete lightning-in-a-bottle freak accident that will probably never happen again, sadly), I am of the opinion that Ganondorf should just be fully reworked and that Linkle should just stay as a fully unique moveset that utilizes her crossbows instead.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I would say that most characters are unnecessary as long as they are not from Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK or Pokemon. But because its in the devs' capacity, we get to have a diverse roster. Daisy and Richter are indeed reskins of existing characters that happen to have their own slot, but that doesn't mean that their addition is bad or unwelcome. More options are a good thing even if its just on an aesthetic level. Like if I want to play as a Belmont, I'll pick Richter over Simon because I find his design more pleasing. The same is true for people who pick Simon.
Same with Chrom, but his sword mechanics and Up Special make a significant difference in gameplay to justify his presence as more than an alt. Both Roy and Chrom have an updated moveset since Smash 4 that has differed a lot from Marth in stats, function and animation, so calling them a Marth clone would be inaccurate. You could say semi clone at most.
If echoes bothers someone that much, they can just merge the roster slots and they'll be golden, since the game then treats them as skins.

I've explained this before, but when it comes to clones I care less about mechanics and more about aesthetic. If I could replace Daisy, Chrom, and RIchter with other echoes I would because aesthetic-wise they would be more interesting. For example if I replaced Chrom with something like Octoling (:ultinkling:), Hilda (:ultzelda:), Dark MK (:ultmetaknight:), I personally feel like any of those would be more interesting than the next blue haired sword wielding white anime-style Fire Emblem fighter.

*sigh*

I can say a lot about this, but I won't touch this one for now.
This is the unpopular opinions thread. Shoot. Anything you say will be buried under the next topic within a day.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Speak for yourself. I didn't even start with Generation 5 - not even close - and it's still my favourite. I still think that Zoroark got robbed.
Oh absolutely. Zoroark would be an amazing Lucario Echo, or even a fighter in its own right. Gen 5 deserved better, it's where the series peaked.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh absolutely. Zoroark would be an amazing Lucario Echo, or even a fighter in its own right. Gen 5 deserved better, it's where the series peaked.
I wouldn’t necessarily say Gen V was the best (I honestly can't say which one was best), but it's pretty clear that Game Freak has had a harder time coming up with ideas after Gen V; Gen VI and VII are both really small in terms of new Pokémon count, and they attempt to make up the difference with alternative redesigns of older Pokémon through Mega Evolutions and regional variants, respectively.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Wario should just rep Wario in general instead of WarioWare specifically. Wario Land is so neglected for some reason.

My ideal FE lineup:
Marth (series icon)
Ike (unique swordfighter)
Roy (fan favorite and kept as a semi clone of Marth)
Camilla (axe user)
Robin (mage)
Corrin (dragon transformation)

I wanted Lyn, but I can't see her being too different from Ike or Marth, and Ephraim would just overrep the series imo. It's best kept at 6 and debatably 5 if you want Roy out.

It'd be like having 5.5 reps since Roy isn't a full fledged original fighter.

Also match Roy's down tilt to match Marth's, Roy's sucks lol.

Steve and Master Chief (deconfirmed but still) wouldn't suck as DLC since they're both gaming icons with pretty vast moveset potential. If you say Steve will play like Link you're likely just on the Minecraft hate bandwagon and should be more open to the possibilities. I'm not saying you should support Steve, but you should always try and see how a fighter would be unique instead of saying "he has a sword and will therefore play like Link".

Steve can have a trident, sword, axe, shield, TNT, bow, potions, fire charges, elytra (and if you don't like that, ender pearl), water bucket with the stream flowing off stage (for a brief period of time), dual wield, or even spawn hostile mobs with spawn eggs.

Master Chief would be a new heavy character with two guns and if that's too violent for you, plasma guns from the newer games. He could dish out a lot of damage but have only relatively poor knockback, making it hard to knock people off stage, and on top of that, would have just average speed. He could use daggers and only bring out swords on certain attacks, or potentially even a mace. Best of all, Master Chief vs Samus would be legendary.

Zoroark as a Lucario echo is also poorly thought out. He doesn't use aura at all, and could actually borrow from Dark and Ghost moves instead. I'd include Foul Play, Hone Claws, Night Slash, Payback, Shadow Claw, Sucker Punch (counter move), or maybe even U Turn, Nasty Plot, Aerial Ace, Dark Pulse, or Knock Off.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate is a good game, but I think it's the weakest Smash entry in the Smash series so far.
  1. I don't like the new game-play changes, and mechanics. Some of them are cool, but not being able to run through shields is dumb. Also, OOS options suck in this game.
  2. A lack of new content.
  3. As someone who mainly plays Smash by themselves, WoL is trash and is essentially just a series of glorified event matches. Nintendo really dropped the ball on the singe player part of the game.
  4. Spirits suck, and custom moves were much better. Custom moves weren't balanced, but the whole weapon triangle thing makes using spirits almost impossible. Also, I miss trophies. I understand why they aren't here anymore, but they could've at least given the spirits descriptions.
  5. Nintendo somehow managed to make a worst online mode than 4's, and now you have to pay money for it. It's incredibly stupid how I can have items on & the game set to any stage, and still get paired with a try hard on an omega 3 with no items and a stock match. Also, how the hell do I keep getting paired with the same people? Maybe it's the whole smash power thing, but I literally got paired with the same Palutena player 3 times in a day.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ganondorf smells like a tourney player, Pikachu packed a little weight because the little **** doesn't get enough love, Pichu is secretly Stewie Griffin, Little Mac actually hurts himself to look beat up when he loses, Dedede is a bad influence, and Mario's outfits suck.

Seriously, they do! Where's Wedding!Peach and Wedding!Bowser? And why have Builder Mario when Stage Builder doesn't exist!?

Oh, and I kinda miss Donkey Kong's bongo shenanigans.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm sure I'm not the only one but I have a serious pet peeve when people unironically request or bring up the topic of manga/anime characters or ant non-video game character being in Smash.

Like please, don't taint Smash that much.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm not sexually attracted to any of the characters in Smash. They're not nearly realistic-looking enough (and I don't want them to be).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm not sexually attracted to any of the characters in Smash. They're not nearly realistic-looking enough (and I don't want them to be).
Eh, I dunno, I've seen plenty of people pull off pretty convincing Samuses and Snakes, though the rest do tend to fall on the cartoony and/or anime side.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure I'm not the only one but I have a serious pet peeve when people unironically request or bring up the topic of manga/anime characters or ant non-video game character being in Smash.

Like please, don't taint Smash that much.
I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
They're not nearly realistic-looking enough (and I don't want them to be).
Agreed on the bold part. If I can give Smash credit for one thing, it's that it doesn't chase the trend of "MUH PHOTOREALISM" that has stiffled creativity in video games for the last decade. "Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto" doesn't even scratch the surface of just how many ****ing games I have come across that have that same "if my mother walked in on me playing this, she'd be creeped out by the uncanny valleyness of it all" visual look to them.

Hence why if someone like Aloy got into smash, I'd rather that Nintendo just make them stylized to fit with the rest of the cast instead of maintaining the "AAA graphics" aesthetic that Horizon: Zero Dawn unfortunately resorted to with its human characters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed on the bold part. If I can give Smash credit for one thing, it's that it doesn't chase the trend of "MUH PHOTOREALISM" that has stiffled creativity in video games for the last decade. "Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto" doesn't even scratch the surface of just how many ****ing games I have come across that have that same "if my mother walked in on me playing this, she'd be creeped out by the uncanny valleyness of it all" visual look to them.

Hence why if someone like Aloy got into smash, I'd rather that Nintendo just make them stylized to fit with the rest of the cast instead of maintaining the "AAA graphics" aesthetic that Horizon: Zero Dawn unfortunately resorted to with its human characters.
Considering they didn't make Snake, Bayonetta or Zero Suit Samus particularly stylized at all, I doubt it.

Smash characters doesn't have to fit in the rest of the cast because it has no set style to begin with. Characters get artistic license in their design all the time (like Roy or Duck Hunt) but not necessarily for making them for cartoonish.

(Plus, didn't Brawl and Ultimate gave everyone super detailed textures in their models and renders?)

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I can’t help but feel like the third party presence is a bit forced and awkward. I think they’ve done a great job of representing all of the third party characters... but something still feels off. Smash started as a celebration of Nintendo, and now it is supposed to be a celebration of video games in general. However, it still very much feels like a Nintendo party... just with a handful of a few random third party titles thrown in. They feel tacked on.

I can’t help but wonder if the series would be more cohesive if there wasn’t the constant distraction of third parties and Nintendo just went crazy with their own IPs. In that case, you’d have long time popular requests, like Isaac, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, Skull Kid, Mach Rider, etc and probably even more obscure characters like Alex from Eternal Darkness in by now. I don’t think people would be so upset by the FE presence in this case either, because the representation for each series would feel more balanced. I personally feel that this direction would have been more natural and would have lead to a more fulfilling Smash experience.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And why have Builder Mario when Stage Builder doesn't exist!?
That's actually quite ironic now that you mention it. Mario is often the default character used to test out Stage Builder stages. So its kind of funny (or sad) how we ironically lost the stage builder mode in the same game where Mario got his builder outfit that originated from a Stage Building game...

Would have been neat if that was the main outfit he uses during stage testing too.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That's actually quite ironic now that you mention it. Mario is often the default character used to test out Stage Builder stages. So its kind of funny (or sad) how we ironically lost the stage builder mode in the same game where Mario got his builder outfit that originated from a Stage Building game...

Would have been neat if that was the main outfit he uses during stage testing too.
Hilariously-tragic indeed. That was the main idea behind my (mostly-jokey) rant. Perhaps a future update?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, we should've had both TP Ganondorf and OOT Ganondorf! The more variety the better. Ideally we'd have every version of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf across all the 3D games.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we should've had both TP Ganondorf and OOT Ganondorf! The more variety the better.
Especially considering that OoT Ganondorf never even used a sword, whereas TP's did, It just seems silly to scrap TP's model entirely, and not even make it an alternate costume or anything. Every rendition of the Zelda characters would be a dream come true for sure! Wind Waker Ganon is another one of my favorites.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Especially considering that OoT Ganondorf never even used a sword, whereas TP's did, It just seems silly to scrap TP's model entirely, and not even make it an alternate costume or anything. Every rendition of the Zelda characters would be a dream come true for sure! Wind Waker Ganon is another one of my favorites.
But Ultimate and Wii U use different models, they didn't scrap anything.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
But Ultimate and Wii U use different models
Oh, that's a useful bit of information. I'm by no means a game designer or anything like it, but I thought they just enhanced the old models; especially when looking at characters such as Mario.

The more you know.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh, that's a useful bit of information. I'm by no means a game designer or anything like it, but I thought they just enhanced the old models; especially when looking at characters such as Mario.

The more you know.
They probably use the same base, but either way, there was no TP Ganondorf made in the style of Ultimate waiting to be used.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but never saw anyone comment about it, so:
One of Ultimate's biggest flaws is them putting stage select before character select. I don't exactly understand what it achieves, plus it constantly resets your character select

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but never saw anyone comment about it, so:
One of Ultimate's biggest flaws is them putting stage select before character select. I don't exactly understand what it achieves, plus it constantly resets your character select
I like to think of it as a way to avoid getting screwed over by a stage after choosing a character.

If someone picks something like Gaur Plains, then people know that a character with good aerial mobility like Jigglypuff would make for a decent choice. If someone picks Boxing Ring that is a stage where you can't fall then you know that characters with weak recoveries like Little Mac and Incineroar will shine while Jigglypuff's edge-guarding game becomes irrelevant. If it's a flat surface you can use someone with projectiles and if there is a lot of space you can move around then you can use someone who has very good ground speed.

Let's say that if you picked Little Mac in Smash 4, it was no fun when someone decided to pick an inconvenient stage like 75m, or the opposite, that the Little Mac player picked somewhere with no ledges. So I actually think that it improves the experience.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can’t help but feel like the third party presence is a bit forced and awkward. I think they’ve done a great job of representing all of the third party characters... but something still feels off. Smash started as a celebration of Nintendo, and now it is supposed to be a celebration of video games in general. However, it still very much feels like a Nintendo party... just with a handful of a few random third party titles thrown in. They feel tacked on.

I can’t help but wonder if the series would be more cohesive if there wasn’t the constant distraction of third parties and Nintendo just went crazy with their own IPs. In that case, you’d have long time popular requests, like Isaac, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, Skull Kid, Mach Rider, etc and probably even more obscure characters like Alex from Eternal Darkness in by now. I don’t think people would be so upset by the FE presence in this case either, because the representation for each series would feel more balanced. I personally feel that this direction would have been more natural and would have lead to a more fulfilling Smash experience.
Regardless of how you feel, blaming the guest fighters for the lack of perceived series balance, absence of certain characters and franchises is just lazy.

Also, we have like 9 unique guests. Is this so little for them to feel natural (as you said in the first paragraph) or so much that Nintendo can't "go crazy" with their own franchises (as you said in the second paragraph)?

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of how you feel, blaming the guest fighters for the lack of perceived series balance, absence of certain characters and franchises is just lazy.

Also, we have like 9 unique guests. Is this so little for them to feel natural (as you said in the first paragraph) or so much that Nintendo can't "go crazy" with their own franchises (as you said in the second paragraph)?
I’m not placing blame on anything/anyone. If you think that was my point, then you missed what I was going for. Basically, my UNPOPULAR OPINION in the UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread, is that the third party presence feels awkward.

You know, I spend more time reading on this site than posting, because it’s almost guaranteed that someone will be there to insult you and pick apart your harmless opinions and comments. Ridiculous. But that’s just the way people are on the internet, I guess. Calling me lazy? You don’t know me. Why even say anything at all?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m not placing blame on anything/anyone. If you think that was my point, then you missed what I was going for. Basically, my UNPOPULAR OPINION in the UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread, is that the third party presence feels awkward.

You know, I spend more time reading on this site than posting, because it’s almost guaranteed that someone will be there to insult you and pick apart your harmless opinions and comments. Ridiculous. But that’s just the way people are on the internet, I guess. Calling me lazy? You don’t know me. Why even say anything at all?
"I can’t help but wonder if the series would be more cohesive if there wasn’t the constant distraction of third parties and Nintendo just went crazy with their own IPs." You're making a clear connection here, even though there is no reason to assume not adding third party characters would give their "slots" to other Nintendo franchises. Not saying you have to like the content from third parties in Smash, but I felt you could have worded yourself better or present a more well-thought argument against them.

Second part is unnecessarily emotional, so I'm not touching it.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I don't think there should be tier lists for Ultimate. To me, almost everyone is viable in competition. There are only a few that are not viable in competition. So instead of a tier list, it should just be binary. Yes you are viable, or no, you are not viable.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Post Plant DLC has pretty much killed any remaining hype I had for this game. I think I've already had thoughts of playing 4 again.

Isn't it against this thread's rules to criticize the opinions?

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Post Plant DLC has pretty much killed any remaining hype I had for this game. I think I've already had thoughts of playing 4 again.

Isn't it against this thread's rules to criticize the opinions?
Yes it is.
I also don't get why people are posting opinions that are already popular in an unpopular opinion thread.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
The main problem here is that what's actually popular and unpopular is a bit nebulous. Does it mean popular on this forum, popular amongst all Smash speculation circles, or just all Smashers in general? I suppose the primary way this thread has functioned is "opinions you have that you don't hear that often" but the flaw with that is just how subjective that could be. If one frequents certain places or individuals they might be more likely to hear a certain opinion they perceive to be popular, but in reality it could very well also be unpopular.

Basically if a person spouts an opinion that others deem popular it's very possible it's due to the fact that the person spouting it themselves may have just completely missed the same people the others have.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
First party characters should stop being added completely, bar Waluigi. There is no one left worth adding that isn't a third party.

And if you disagree, garbage flash games will always exist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom