• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I REALLY think Incineroar should be cut, I hate that Pokemon and it simply doesn't have the star power that greninja, Lucario and hell, even Pichu have.

This opinion also applies to Smash 4, personally I don't like how Megaman is portrayed in these games. I love everything about him in smash, the spirits, trophies, songs and stage are things I really like. But I really hate how Megaman himself is, i prefer how he is in games like Megaman 7, 8 and 11 and all the promotional material that shows him as a happy kid. I don't like how Sakurai decided to stick to his 8 bit sprite as a basis for the model. At least they should have him emote more.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I REALLY think Incineroar should be cut, I hate that Pokemon and it simply doesn't have the star power that greninja, Lucario and hell, even Pichu have.

This opinion also applies to Smash 4, personally I don't like how Megaman is portrayed in these games. I love everything about him in smash, the spirits, trophies, songs and stage are things I really like. But I really hate how Megaman himself is, i prefer how he is in games like Megaman 7, 8 and 11 and all the promotional material that shows him as a happy kid. I don't like how Sakurai decided to stick to his 8 bit sprite as a basis for the model. At least they should have him emote more.
It feels so weird where you have
Mario: happy
Sonic: cocky
Pac-man: goofy
Mega-man: stone cold killer

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think it's lame that Pokemon is guaranteed at least one newcomer slot in every Smash game, even when the actual character that will be used is unknown. No other series gets this privilege--not even Mario.
I agree. The obligatory Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, etc. newcomer in every Smash game annoys me since it makes the newcomer selection boring and less diverse and creative.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree. The obligatory Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, etc. newcomer in every Smash game annoys me since it makes the newcomer selection boring and less diverse and creative.
The newcomer selection actually would've been more diverse and creative if the Pokemon choice was something more promoted than Incineroar.
Mario: happy
Angry Mario joke goes here

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The newcomer selection actually would've been more diverse and creative if the Pokemon choice was something more promoted than Incineroar.

Angry Mario joke goes here
Diverse as in diversity among characters/series we already see a lot of. I agree that Incineroar was clearly promoted but we already got 3 pokemon back in Ultimate raising the pokemon count to nine, we really didn't need a tenth pokemon.

And yes why the hell does Mario look like he's seeing the mist in every smash game?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Diverse as in diversity among characters/series we already see a lot of.
I was thinking gameplay diversity. I don't care that Incineroar is a tenth Pokemon, I do care that it's something I dislike the looks of, don't think it's being heavily promoted as much as some other Gen 7 Pokemon, and I think its gameplay feels like I should just play Ganondorf.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I was thinking gameplay diversity. I don't care that Incineroar is a tenth Pokemon, I do care that it's something I dislike the looks of, don't think it's being heavily promoted as much as some other Gen 7 Pokemon, and I think its gameplay feels like I should just play Ganondorf.
That true. Incineroar's moveset is....fine? He's all super slow but powerful attacks, something we've seen multiple times before, but he's based on the aesthetic of a pro wrestler instead of a heavy swordie or some big bad villain. He's like 50/50 in my book.

But I personally feel like there were way better and more creative options they could have chosen for some of the newcomers, both normal fighters and echoes.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Hmm, not really. I would argue that just always adding whoever the fandom feels like shoving down everyone's throats at the time would make the roster selection boring and predictable.

For people like me who are in the camp of "I'm fine with the roster and don't mind whoever newcomer makes it in at this point", I have no problems if they decide to add a Pokemon from the new generation or a Mario character. It doesn't really stifle creativity and diversity as people wants us to believe. Like, nothing about Piranha Plant screams uncreative or less diverse. Or Incineroar's luchador motif. As shown with the plant's reveal, people actually get angry when the devs exercise their creative freedom. Its quite a contradiction.

At this point, since we are past the "surprising but not completely unexpected" reveals like Ridley, Dark Samus and K. Rool, I rather be surprised with the new characters like I was with the plant and Joker, who I know nothing about.

But I personally feel like there were way better and more creative options they could have chosen for some of the newcomers, both normal fighters and echoes.
More creative options aka your most wanted ones. People never realize their own irony.

When you are biased against something, everything else becomes a 100 times more desirable. Even if their moveset hasn't been thought out and implemented yet, somehow you know that they are much more creative and appealing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That true. Incineroar's moveset is....fine? He's all super slow but powerful attacks, something we've seen multiple times before, but he's based on the aesthetic of a pro wrestler instead of a heavy swordie or some big bad villain. He's like 50/50 in my book.

We also have a ton of small and speedy but weak and fragile characters. Same with the vice versa. This is just game balance, not playstyle. Squirtle and Pichu play nothing alike just because they're both fast and light. Same with Incineroar and other super-heavies.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I don't give a crap about Geno and I hope he never gets into smash just to spite all the people who wont shut up about him.

HE WAS IN ONE GAME! WHY IS HE SO BELOVED?!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
-Losing is more important than winning to improve. Saving videos of your loses and analyzing them will help you improve much more than a cheesy win. Before you can win you have to learn how to lose
-Ultimate’s online has been fine for me on WiFi and I rarely lag and if I do it’s not on my end
-There are very few bad characters in this game and unless you’re a pro or attending tournaments pay no attention to tiers and play whoever you want. You’ll be successful with them if you put in work

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't give a crap about Geno and I hope he never gets into smash just to spite all the people who wont shut up about him.

HE WAS IN ONE GAME! WHY IS HE SO BELOVED?!
It was a good game. Personally, I think Mallow was a stronger character but there isn't anything wrong or weird with liking him. We have a lot of one-shot characters already.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The volume of posts here that basically amount to "I don't get Geno" makes me question how unpopular that view truly is. You can barely go a page without seeing that sentiment come up, it seems. Geno's a very love-him-or-hate-him character; I don't think I've ever heard anybody say "I could go either way on Geno." THAT would be a truly unpopular opinion at this point.
And wanting/not wanting a character in out of spite or "le salt" is probably the absolute worst reason to want either of those things. Consider that my "unpopular opinion."

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Incineroar plays NOTHING like Ganandorf and if you want gameplay diversity he brings that. There’s never been another Smash character that plays quite like Incineroar. He’s a grappler and Smash has very few grappler and Smash has very few if any true grapplers. He’s one of the most unique characters in the game

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't care if there's 10 or 50 Pokemon. They just need a little more variety than awkward-to-control anthros, and Gen 7 had two mascots that would've provided such variety.

Star Fox is a series that can get away with being represented by just a few anthros. Pokemon is not.
So, I guess it's a good thing that Pokemon doesn't have just a few anthros but also :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So, I guess it's a good thing that Pokemon doesn't have just a few anthros but also :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer:
I mean then you’re just really representing Gen 1 and Pokémon has grown a whole lot since then and deserves to represented for that

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean then you’re just really representing Gen 1 and Pokémon has grown a whole lot since then and deserves to represented for that
Pichu is my favorite Gen 1 Pokemon

We have both more humanoid and more animalistic Pokemon. I don't get why singling out one part that you don't like and calling representation inadequate accomplishes.

Also, Greninja is forcing the definition of "anthro", imo.

Veigar

Smash Rookie
Pichu is my favorite Gen 1 Pokemon

We have both more humanoid and more animalistic Pokemon. I don't get why singling out one part that you don't like and calling representation inadequate accomplishes.

Also, Greninja is forcing the definition of "anthro", imo.
I actually don't mind Incineroar, but jesus christ his recovery is worse than Mac's, I swear..

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It really doesn't matter that much. All of the 1st gen Pokemon in Smash have very specific reasons to be there. Let's just say they got lucky. Devs shouldn't try to "balance" a number of gen representatives anyways. If Mewtwo was from Gen 5 and Charizard from Gen 3, I bet people would be quiet about this.
Pokemon are Pokemon, they fall under the same umbrella.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't want :ultgreninja::ultincineroar: to indicate some sort of pattern that'll be used from here on. People wouldn't like it if Sakurai insisted on using Pachirisu instead of Lucario, so this shouldn't be okay either.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
And wanting/not wanting a character in out of spite or "le salt" is probably the absolute worst reason to want either of those things. Consider that my "unpopular opinion."
While I'd agree with you in theory, in practice? The vast majority of the internet community are trash that deserves to made angry.

Hmm, not really. I would argue that just always adding whoever the fandom feels like shoving down everyone's throats at the time would make the roster selection boring and predictable.
Exactly the kind of point I've been trying to make.

More creative options aka your most wanted ones. People never realize their own irony.
Not me. I am very much aware that two of my three most wanted characters in smash would be "anime swordfighters" that people are sick of, and the third is more likely to be a link clone, echo or alt costume then she is to be unique.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

For people like me who are in the camp of "I'm fine with the roster and don't mind whoever newcomer makes it in at this point", I have no problems if they decide to add a Pokemon from the new generation or a Mario character. It doesn't really stifle creativity and diversity as people wants us to believe. Like, nothing about Piranha Plant screams uncreative or less diverse. Or Incineroar's luchador motif. As shown with the plant's reveal, people actually get angry when the devs exercise their creative freedom. Its quite a contradiction.

At this point, since we are past the "surprising but not completely unexpected" reveals like Ridley, Dark Samus and K. Rool, I rather be surprised with the new characters like I was with the plant and Joker, who I know nothing about.

When you are biased against something, everything else becomes a 100 times more desirable. Even if their moveset hasn't been thought out and implemented yet, somehow you know that they are much more creative and appealing.
I explained this before: It's less about newcomers being shoved down our throats and more about seeing the fighter for the first time. When I saw incineroar, I was more on the side of "Oh look, there's our obligatory pokemon," and less "Wow! A fighter they must have chosen from ground up!" It would have been nicer to get a newcomer that wasn't more or less shoehorned in.

I feel like another newcomer we could have done without was Isabelle, and I don't really need to explain this one. Her character isn't the type that fights at all to begin with, and half of her moves are ripped from villager. The only reason I pick her instead of villager is for the occasional meme.

Personally I think that Chrom, Daisy, and RIchter weren't that necessary. Daisy and Richter are basically reskins of the fighter they're echoing (I know Dark Samus is too but it's nice to see more than two Metroid characters as fighters) and Chrom is a clone of a clone, raising our Marth count to four.

To put it simply I feel like they had better options than the newcomers we got. There were a lot of newcomers who were just unnecessary clones and/or shoehorned in. And I'm not talking about fighters I personally want, that would be hypocritical. There were dozens of newcomer options, and only a few of them I wanted in (most of my newcomer wants had pretty low chances of getting in anyway).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If those clones weren't in you'd just get other clones.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have no problem with newcomer clones. They're like little added bonuses you weren't expecting. Sure, maybe you don't need them, but it's nice to have them anyway.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Another Pokemon-related unpopular opinion from me: I don't think it matters which generations are represented in Smash. Nobody specifically points out which games need reps in other series (i.e. "Link's Awakening needs a character! Marin for Smash!" "Tropical Freeze needs a character! Lord Frederick for Smash!"), so why Pokemon?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Another Pokemon-related unpopular opinion from me: I don't think it matters which generations are represented in Smash. Nobody specifically points out which games need reps in other series (i.e. "Link's Awakening needs a character! Marin for Smash!" "Tropical Freeze needs a character! Lord Frederick for Smash!"), so why Pokemon?
I think, in general, a lot of it comes down to the way in which Pokémon games add characters. With The Legend of Zelda, there's always going to be Link for Zelda players in Smash. But with each generation of Pokémon adding swaths of new characters, it's a somewhat different matter. Everyone also has their own generation that's their favorite or the one they started with, as well.

It's the same with franchises like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Each game has its own characters, so people who are fans of specific entries would likely want to see their favorite game get a character. Like, I imagine Shulk won't do much for a fan of Xenoblade Chronicles X if they didn't like the original Xenoblade. :p

On that note I'd totally be down for playable Marin. I love Link's Awakening.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pokemon itself is heavily centered around its creatures. I mean, it's in the name.
It's similar to Fire Emblem which focuses on its characters.

People just really want to see pokemon they want from generations they like.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: Stadium was pretty lame in Smash 4 so I'm not troubled that they got rid of it on this game, but it would have been nice to see Brawl/Melee stadium back. But ATM I could care less that it's removed.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Unpopular: Stadium was pretty lame in Smash 4 so I'm not troubled that they got rid of it on this game, but it would have been nice to see Brawl/Melee stadium back. But ATM I could care less that it's removed.
All they really changed was Target Test, and that change made sense since Little Mac would be doomed to fail at the "seek and destroy" platforming challenge that Target Test was in the first three Smash games; at least Angry Birds-esque bomb bashing is a challenge suitable for the entire roster. Also, Rival Smash was a great twist on the Multi-Man Smash formula and it's really disappointing that it's gone.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All they really changed was Target Test, and that change made sense since Little Mac would be doomed to fail at the "seek and destroy" platforming challenge that Target Test was in the first three Smash games; at least Angry Birds-esque bomb bashing is a challenge suitable for the entire roster. Also, Rival Smash was a great twist on the Multi-Man Smash formula and it's really disappointing that it's gone.
I've heard suggestions for a melee-style Target Smash but yeah with such a huge roster it's too complicated for stadium to work at its best. And event matches are kind of represented via spirits.

D

Deleted member

I've heard suggestions for a melee-style Target Smash but yeah with such a huge roster it's too complicated for stadium to work at its best. And event matches are kind of represented via spirits.
Honestly the only thing I miss from Sm4sh that didn't make the cut was Stage Builder. Where's Smashketball :(

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly the only thing I miss from Sm4sh that didn't make the cut was Stage Builder. Where's Smashketball :(
I was actually pretty disappointed when I learned that fan-made gamemodes weren't getting anything in this game because Smashketball was super fun.

F

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was actually pretty disappointed when I learned that fan-made gamemodes weren't getting anything in this game because Smashketball was super fun.

F
How are we supposed to know if Ridley can cross the pit of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom