• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Spirits > Trophies

(maybe it's not an unpopular opinion, dunno)
It's definitely is and I agree with you. Being able to see them constantly in Spirits mode while using them is a big plus. Also, we are probably getting every single Pokemon and the thought is kinda crazy.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Spirits are better then the event matches in any game we've had.
Agreed. The last three games' events were nothing but cheaply made (and unlike Echo Fighters, not the good kind of "cheaply made"), tediously bull**** gimmicks. Melee's event mode pretty much ruined that game for me, because halfway through the events just start to become ****ing irredeemably awful.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Agreed. The last three games' events were nothing but cheaply made (and unlike Echo Fighters, not the good kind of "cheaply made"), tediously bull**** gimmicks. Melee's event mode pretty much ruined that game for me, because halfway through the events just start to become ****ing irredeemably awful.
Yeah, but to this day nothing has ever satisfied me the way Melee's did with a sense of accomplishment in the final stretch. I hated the fact that they introduced difficulties to Event Matches in Brawl, but I admit Melee also did a lot of bull**** to make their final matches harder as well.

The Master Hand/Crazy Hand fight and the Final Challenge with the villains are still such huge standouts in my mind. Mostly due to the rage that the induced, but I loved them all the same for their crazy insane difficulty.

Maybe I'm just a masochist at heart?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still like the Brawl events best. Spirits already better than them, but if there is no co-op mode, it might be a minor bummer.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Since November, I've had a few.

Keep in mind, the silent majority can appear a vocal minority if small amounts of it start speaking up.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I think that the argument that Ridley was too big is valid. Why? Because to include him in Ultimate, he was shrunk down. Ridley at his canonical size is significantly larger than the other fighters, which makes him ineligible as a fighter.

That said, I'd prefer to have him in than not at all. I've always wanted him in, and my solution was just to make him smaller. Obviously, this is something that Sakurai was reluctant to do, as somewhere during or after Brawl he really goes all out in making the characters as accurate as he can possibly can.

(Naturally, some people will counter with him being a smaller size in the original Metroid, but that was retconned with Zero Mission.)

I also feel that Ridley shrunk down doesn't open the door for future large characters like Petey Piranha. I think Sakurai made an exception for Ridley due to fan demand, but I feel he would be reluctant to do it to any boss character that's very large.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think that the argument that Ridley was too big is valid. Why? Because to include him in Ultimate, he was shrunk down. Ridley at his canonical size is significantly larger than the other fighters, which makes him ineligible as a fighter.

That said, I'd prefer to have him in than not at all. I've always wanted him in, and my solution was just to make him smaller. Obviously, this is something that Sakurai was reluctant to do, as somewhere during or after Brawl he really goes all out in making the characters as accurate as he can possibly can.

(Naturally, some people will counter with him being a smaller size in the original Metroid, but that was retconned with Zero Mission.)

I also feel that Ridley shrunk down doesn't open the door for future large characters like Petey Piranha. I think Sakurai made an exception for Ridley due to fan demand, but I feel he would be reluctant to do it to any boss character that's very large.
olimer should be canonically smaller, smash can take liberty's

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Sometimes I feel like fans are too defensive of Sakurai just because he complains about his work schedule publicly ( and I believe he's half joking about it anyway, especially the way it was done in the last direc ) While it's true that he's the one making these games for us, when all is said and done, it's still a product that we are paying money for, and fans demanding the characters they want to see in a, specifically, fan service oriented game, is just part of the job that he really should know by now. obviously there's limits on this like the Waluigi fanbase making death threats and inappropriate memes. I still feel like we as fans are well within our rights to want what we want in the game that supposed to be catering to us, and always hoping for more. Whiny and entitled have in my opinion become sort of a buzz words that people use as a crutch to quell any kind of criticism that comes out against Smash Brothers and the sometimes questionable decisions made for it.

Adventure Mode platforming levels have much more potential and should've returned for World of Light.
Is that an unpopular opinion? I feel like that's more like the General consensus. I'm certainly not looking forward to World of light unless I know that it has some of those platforming beat em up levels. I don't think event mode is a good substitute for an adventure mode.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think it looks fun, but it's going to need a lot of levels to serve as both Adventure Mode and Event Mode. I'm talking hundreds.

I agree that Ridley is too big, and the difference with Olimar is that he doesn't look weird when sized up. Ridley looks quite a bit awkward when shrunken like that. Not that I care, because I love that he's in the game.

Last edited:

TaranTr

Smash Rookie
Despite already being the series with the most characters you can never have enough Pokemon, one of the 5 dlc should be another pokemon XD

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Also, I don't think Piranha Plant's inclusion changes much when it comes to future characters. Everybody treats his inclusion as a watershed moment in Smash history, opening the gates for a large number of characters to get in.

Fact is, though, this already happened. Piranha Plant is a joke character, and we've had a joke character in every game since Melee. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt are all very weird inclusions that totally buck the trend of what can be considered a "predictable" inclusion.

I think Sakurai enjoys it when people are taken aback by the inclusion of his jokey character in the games. After WFT and Duck Hunt, people finally "figured out" that he enjoys his weird options, and started trying to predict the next one based on that (such Reckless Safety Guy and Labo Man). Sakurai went with Piranha Plant because it is a joke choice that nobody would predict or guess.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Adding plant goomba doesnt open the flood gates for more goombas.

Being a unique oddity is plant goombas gimmick.

Therefore no hat goombas.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Brawl, Sm4sh, and Melee fans will be united and forget about their previous favorite titles and play Ultimate 100% of the time.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I hate Duck Hunt and anything related to this series in the game, including the stage (that is also supor ugly in my opinion). I just think it's terrible to support a game that is based on killing cute little ducks. I just want that dog to die because of what he does with the hunter and the way he looks so happy after you shot the ducks. It's just terrible to me.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Marta is a better candidate for a playable character than Lloyd.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular (think):
This roster would be way cooler if they decided to ditch the clones and unwanted/advertisement fighters and replaced them with popular requests.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I like the plant's inclusion because of it's unpredictability. It's nice that we can get the random curve ball every now and again. Honestly, the character reveals were getting mundane with how pandery they felt. Most every character was either wanted or anticipated.

Based on the way world of light looks gameplay wise, it's probably gonna be boring. It looks like it's essentially event matches on a smash tour.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't get the arguement that characters who are advertisemental are bad. That applies to most of the characters, regardless of who is worthy of a spot. Yes, some characters are more obvious in that regard (:ultcorrin::ultroy:), but with the exception of the historical/retro rep, most of the characters are used to advertise new games (3rd party characters less so, but they are used to sell Smash Bros). If Isabelle is an adverismental character, they why isn't :ultdarksamus: and the new Metroid Prime 4 is upcoming. It feels like a complaint about how it wasn't a character you wanted that had relevancy, and you are using that as a reason to complain about the character. Diddy Kong was revealed in Wii U/3DS when Tropical Freeze was released internationally. Plus it doesn't help most characters take traits from their latest games such as the Cappy taunt, every single :ultlink: being different, etc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Saying Counter is overused or too simple is dumb when it's a well-used mechanic in the Fire Emblem series from the beginning to now.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It's okay to criticize Smash Ultimate. Yes, it looks to be an amazing package and the devs put a ton of effort and time into it. However, that doesn't mean it's immune to criticism in places where it might be warranted. It's best not to nitpick while the game's not even out yet and we definitely shouldn't dwell on that criticism, but simply having one is not a sign of entitlement or disrespect.

That being said, they really need to un-shorten some of those music tracks. The DK Rap and Knight of the Wind have no reason to be as neutered as they are.

Ganondorf should revert to his Twilight Princess design. We now have no playable representation for that game and more of Ganondorf's Falcon-esque moves canonically fit best with that incarnation.
Link has a Twilight Princess color scheme for his classic tunic, if that means anything.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
While it is weird that they'd get rid of the iconic Fire Mario color, I'm more disappointed in the lack of Wario Mario.
That said, I really like the Builder and Wedding outfits.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
^I didn't even know about that. And we haven't had the OG Mario outfit since like, Melee I think. They really should've replaced Cotton Candy, Green & Brown, and Black & White with Fire Mario, Wario colors, and OG suit.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I honestly think if any Square character is going to make it, it'll be an Octopath Traveller character at this point.

I know everyone loves their Soras and Genos, but Octopath doesn't have any of the legal issues Sora may have, and is capable of bolstering sales for Square and Nintendo's latest cross over. I'm surprised an Octopath newcomer doesn't get considered more albeit I have no idea who would be chosen.

D

Deleted member

^I didn't even know about that. And we haven't had the OG Mario outfit since like, Melee I think. They really should've replaced Cotton Candy, Green & Brown, and Black & White with Fire Mario, Wario colors, and OG suit.
The Jumpman colors were in Brawl too.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
It has nothing to do with Ultimate, but with the community : I don't like the GCC and I don't understand why so many people play with it. I mean, they do what they want, but there was a question I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom