• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Pretty sure there's a difference between "spamming" and "opening a match with said move" though, but perhaps I'm just mistaken.
Both, really. They opened it up with down B. I though, "this is going to be an interesting match." They proceed to use that and maybe like 2 or 3 other moves. That's it.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Piranha plant was a lame addition. Perhaps I'm missing something, but the reception for the plant seems to be mostly positive. Just go on to any YouTube video, or look at at the main SU discussion page & you'll see nothing, but praise for the character. "Well, looks like I found a new main.", "Piranha plant is our lord & savior.", "Don't you dare insult Piranha plant senpai.", etc... Even in this thread, people have been singing its praise. I honestly feel bad for the fan-bases for certain characters since this isn't the case of a low effort clone, or echo. Nope. Their highly requested character just got beat by a generic Mario enemy that you, "Never knew you wanted until now.", just because of, "Hurr Durr WTF Sack-Of-Rai."

Also, the World of Light mode doesn't look that fun. It's giving me major Smash Tour PTSD, and just seems like a large gauntlet of event challenges. I'm really hoping there's more to it than what they've shown (more cinematics, dialogue, Melee-esque platforming sections, etc...).

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Piranha plant was a lame addition. Perhaps I'm missing something, but the reception for the plant seems to be mostly positive. Just go on to any YouTube video, or look at at the main SU discussion page & you'll see nothing, but praise for the character. "Well, looks like I found a new main.", "Piranha plant is our lord & savior.", "Don't you dare insult Piranha plant senpai.", etc... Even in this thread, people have been singing its praise. I honestly feel bad for the fan-bases for certain characters since this isn't the case of a low effort clone, or echo. Nope. Their highly requested character just got beat by a generic Mario enemy that you, "Never knew you wanted until now.", just because of, "Hurr Durr WTF Sack-Of-Rai."
Piranha Plant was added as Sakurai's middle finger to leakers, bruh. I would say its justifiable if that's really the case.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant was added as Sakurai's middle finger to leakers, bruh. I would say its justifiable if that's really the case.
Is there any actual truth to this? I keep seeing people spam this, but they never provide evidence. Especially since, from what I understand, wasn't there some guy that leaked a bunch of stuff that ended up being true like Issac & Shadow still being assist (I think his name was Verb, or Verg something)?

Edit: Also, they just seems really petty on Sakurai's behalf.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Is there any actual truth to this? I keep seeing people spam this, but they never provide evidence. Especially since, from what I understand, wasn't there some guy that leaked a bunch of stuff that ended up being true like Issac & Shadow still being assist (I think his name was Verb, or Verg something)?

There is proof. You already written it out. Sakurai stated to find leakers petty. He might've gain a passionate dislike for them and embraced a generic enemy.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
There is proof. You already written it out. Sakurai stated to find leakers petty. He might've gain a passionate dislike for them and embraced a generic enemy.
You mis-read what I said. I said it was petty of Sakurai. Not the leakers. Shafting a fan favorite just to get back at leakers seems dumb. Especially when some of the leakers will still right. Also, that isn't really proof. I'm talking about statements from Sakurai.

UserKev

Smash Champion
You mis-read what I said. I said it was petty of Sakurai. Not the leakers. Shafting a fan favorite just to get back at leakers seems dumb. Especially when some of the leakers will still right. Also, that isn't really proof. I'm talking about statements from Sakurai.
You can't out beat EVERY leaker but you can still show a point. As petty as Sakurai may be, he still worked critically hard on the game. I hate some of his decisions to but in his own right, he can.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Geno and Banjo would be underwhelming DLC characters. I'd genuinely prefer Sora and Steve.

Third-party reveals never excite me as much as Nintendo characters. All five DLC characters could be Nintendo reps and I'd be more than okay with that.

Piranha Plant is underrated and overhated.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Shafting a fan favorite just to get back at leakers seems dumb.
I don't like the argument that he shafted a fan favorite. Just because he decided he wanted to make one character doesn't mean he decided he didn't want to make another.

Every single fan favorite can't be in the game. Somebody gets left out.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the argument that he shafted a fan favorite. Just because he decided he wanted to make one character doesn't mean he decided he didn't want to make another.

Every single fan favorite can't be in the game. Somebody gets left out.
I realize that, but in this case specifically it just feels silly. The development time used to make a character that very few wanted people wanted (and I mean VERY few) could've just as easily been used to develop a highly requested requested character. I don't mind WTF characters & I know that not everyone can make it into Smash, but in the case of Ultimate it just feels unnecessary & can see like a huge slap on the hand since Sakurai's been pretty content on listening to fan feed-back up until the PP reveal.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

*sigh*

No, a character was not added to spite leakers. They can't just make a character on the fly like that. They don't care nearly as much about our hardcore community finding out information early as people here want to think, and no, the man is not making a character to be petty. You're right.

Here's my unpopular opinion: I don't understand how people can possibly be so self-absorbed that they can't understand that, I'unno, maybe the Smash Bros. team wanted to make a goofy character?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I realize that, but in this case specifically it just feels silly.
You say that like there is something wrong with being silly.

The development time used to make a character that very few wanted people wanted (and I mean VERY few) could've just as easily been used to develop a highly requested requested character.
A ton of the characters that are now considered series staples were once characters few people wanted and you could make the arguement that any character could have been cut in place of another. Why is the character you want more important than the character somebody else wants? Why choose the safe choice when the unpredictable one is often much more fun?

but in the case of Ultimate it just feels unnecessary & can see like a huge slap on the hand since Sakurai's been pretty content on listening to fan feed-back up until the PP reveal.
There you go. You said it yourself, he's already done a bunch of the characters people want. Now people are upset because just ONE of the characters isn't one they wanted?

I know there's a topic about people saying that being disapointed isn't being ungrateful, but to me saying that he's been listening to what people want and including them then jumping on him in one instance where he's doing something different sound pretty darn ungrateful to me.

Most people liked K. Rool, Ridley, the Inklings, Simon, so being upset that there's a character they don't like feels incredibly petty to me.

UserKev

Smash Champion
This isn't Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Its Super Smash Bros. Allstar. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate could have been "Ultimate" on its own without heavy third party support like Cloud or Ryu, forced and ultimately unnecessary additions no matter what they contributed to. What could have been a comeback of a unique Nintendo experience has been prioritized over and Sakurai is honestly going berserk.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This isn't Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Its Super Smash Bros. Allstar. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate could have been "Ultimate" on its own without heavy third party support like Cloud or Ryu, forced and ultimately unnecessary additions no matter what they contributed to. What could have been a comeback of a unique Nintendo experience has been prioritized over and Sakurai is honestly going berserk.
I know this is the unpopular opinions thread, so you're entitled to your opinion and I won't argue against it here.

But the very assertion of Sakurai "going berserk" made me :rotfl:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Okay, unpopular opinions...

-Street Fighter shouldn't have any reps. I get that Smash is a fighting game, but the fun of Smash Bros is bringing together characters who might not otherwise be in a fighting game, and give them a chance to shine in a new environment. Street Fighter is just... already a fighting game
-same with the game series Little Mac is from (Punch Out, I think?)
-Sakurai should have someone in charge of Smash (or at least as co-creator) who's more in-touch with the fanbase
-there were too few new characters this time
-Incineroar was definitely not the best Pokemon rep they could have gone with
-PokeFloats should have returned
-Home Run Contest should have returned

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Pirahna Plant is a fine addition to the Super Smash Bros. franchise and I hope it returns in future installments. Now, if Goomba could be added next, or maybe Koopa Troopa.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Honestly, in terms of "generic video game enemies," I think Smash should stick just to Piranha Plant and Waddle Dee (with Parasol and Bandana Dee elements, of course), with Darknut and Primid as Mii Costumes.

Otherwise, it winds up being the same problem Pokemon has with starters where there's a whole bunch of this one specific type of character but not the complete set.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I think the stage selection for Smash 5 is great, but not 'perfect'. There's some glaring stage omissions from Smash 4 that got cut over some mediocre ones. (I'm looking at you, Pac-Land.)

I'd swap these stages:

• Pac-Maze > Pac-Land
  • Rainbow Road > Peach's Castle
  • Wooly World > Mushroomy Kingdom
  • Jungle Hijinx > Kongo Jungle
  • Orbital Gate Assault > Golden Plains
I understand some of these stages may have got cut due to technical difficulties with the new Stage Morph mechanic, but still, it feels lazy using N64 stages to fill up the roster when they've barely been touched. And no, 'nostalgia' isn't an excuse.

If I remember rightly, didn't Sakurai say the Orbital Assault stage took over a year to develop? Was he willing to give up all that work for a new gimmick?

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
More likely he didn't wanna re-do all that work
But surely, most of the work was already done? I imagine the real challenge was porting the stage from Smash 4 to the Ultimate game engine and modfiying it to work with Stage Morph. It's not like they had to remake the 3D assets all over again.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Call me ungrateful all you want, but I really think they should have just included the other stages missing from the game at this point from past games. Or at least the N64 stages should have been completed despite the fact that they're supposedly replaced by different versions. Though I would have taken Rumble Falls and Icicle Mountain back just to have the Everywhere is Here tag be a real thing too. And Pac-Maze is such a tragedy to not be in the game, and I know some stages have some issues, but I imagine they could have been worked out mechanically (And if they couldn't like say Orbital with 8 players, just don't let that stage be playable in 8 player or the Stage Morph option or whatever, parity isn't needed for all stages).

Also, single player Smash modes have mostly been neat more than they've been all that fun with how I've been playing things recently. I can have fun with them, but if they weren't earning me things I cared about in Smash as a whole I probably wouldn't play much of them. Subspace was best for the cut scenes and the boss battles in my mind, and both of those seem to be returning in some capacity for Spirits, so I'm happy about that much. I would have preferred they make the single player more enjoyable and cohesive overall, but cutting some of the fluff from Brawl's Adventure mode doesn't bother me too much.

osby

Smash Obsessed
-Street Fighter shouldn't have any reps. I get that Smash is a fighting game, but the fun of Smash Bros is bringing together characters who might not otherwise be in a fighting game, and give them a chance to shine in a new environment. Street Fighter is just... already a fighting game
Link was in Soul Calibur II, a fighting game.

Punch-Out is not a fighting game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just a heads up...

Punch Out!! is a puzzle game.

It's barely a fighting game and only one by technicality.

It'd be like calling Zelda an RPG.

It's.... not really accurate.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I think the competitive scene should do away with 3 stock 1v1 single characters and make Squad Strike 3v3 the new standard, largely in due to freshen-up gameplay and to further allow Smash Ultimate to be unique from other official Smash titles.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the competitive scene should do away with 3 stock 1v1 single characters and make Squad Strike 3v3 the new standard, largely in due to freshen-up gameplay and to further allow Smash Ultimate to be unique from other official Smash titles.
Not everyone would want to switch characters constantly, but I agree that having this as an option would be great.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I think Super Smash Brothers is to fighting games what the Mario Kart serie is to racing game, a funnier version of it.

Maybe you'll say : "That's not an unpopular opinion !" and you were right if there wasn't some players who are really into the competitive scene who forget that Smash is for fun.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
My unpopular opinions. Yay. How many people will I upset with just one post? (Not trying too, btw...)

Positive:
1. I prefer Male Corrin and Robin to their female counterparts.
2. On that note, I like Corrin.
3. I'm not a fan of Mii Gunner, but the Ray MK costume has me pumped.
4. I like the Smash versions of Ryu and Ken moreso than any Capcom fighting game version of them.
5. I like Marth and Roy's English voices.
6. Retro characters are awesome.
7. Wii Fit Trainer is awesome.

Negative:
1. While the singing itself was fine, the lyrics to Lifelight seem like they were written in five minutes.
2. Greninja is still my least favorite character on the roster.
3. I love Animal Crossing, but not Isabelle. I can think of at least 20 other NPCs (as in, main NPCs) from AC that I like more than her. I'm absolutely NOT saying she shouldn't be playable, but I just don't care about the character, and all of the little comics and memes about how "awesome" and "powerful" and stuff she is are overdone. They remind me of when the Fairy Type was revealed in Pokemon.
4. Expecting to be disappointed by the DLC. :/

There's probably more for both, but this post is already too long.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Spirits are better then the event matches in any game we've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom