• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I'm gonna say that the direct reactions have been pretty 50/50 thus far. Neither of these opinions are unpopular. Take it to PMs or Settle It in Smash k thx.

Here's an unpopular opinion: They should've switched the reveals for Isabelle and Incineroar. *Catgroove starts playing*

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Not sure if this counts as an opinion or a mindset but, every smash game I get my expectations high and if I don't get what I want... I'm disappointed for like 2 minutes and move on. So, for me I keep my expectations high and hype myself up every time despite anyone trying to tell me to tone it down and keep my expectations low so i could get hyped after something is revealed. To me that sounds boring because it takes the fun out of speculation.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Outside of the impressive charscter and stage roster, this game looks painfully rushed. The single player content looks like a total afterthought.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I don't really mind the order of the reveals. Yes, Sora Ltd. could've kept either K. Rool or Ridley for the end and have everyone go nuts, but does it ultimately heh matter? At its heart, these reveals are advertisement, I care about how good the game is, not how well I was hyped for it.

Another one: I've come to terms with characters getting in which I don't care about since I do not know or particularly care about as long as their moveset looks fun. Piranha Plant is something I didn't really have strong opinions about, but she looks incredibly fun to play and also filled with mischief, despite not even having a face. The presentation and gameplay look great, and I bet I'll play her a whole bunch. I'd also play Chrom despite giving 0 bloops about FE, as long as I enjoy his gameplay.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
As a fan of secondary characters, underdogs, and interesting unique characters, I actually utterly despise the threads like "hey, lets cut x characters for teh game" and make me want to go and cut,mario, link, fox, and every fan favorite "mainstay" just out of spite.
Sakurai worked his ass off so there wouldnt be any cuts, and the cuts character have been the most popular requests on all smash games.
Can we just apreciate this for a couple of years?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
As great as it is that the Kencineroar bandage was finally ripped off, Sakurai putting in Decidueye and Akuma instead to kick the fans' butts would have been for the best. I'd be especially giddy for Owl Squidward over here~

Nobody deserves to skip out on being playable if they appear as a Spirit. Not just me, though - there's a bit of hard evidence in favor of this if you know where to look. Be grateful we've already got such a stacked roster.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
This is going to be a massively unpopular opinion, but I've always found Sakurai's work ethic to be really silly. I know he works his ass off, but you shouldn't be working so hard that you cause physical harm to yourself, which, IMO, doesn't look good on Nintendo for letting one of there employees work so hard they cause bodily to themselves. Plus I just can't help, but feel like he goes overboard with a lot of content that isn't usually well received by the Smash community. Like, I know there are some people that like these modes, but let's be honest... A majority of people didn't enjoy Smash Tour, the angry birds knock off, etc... And while I do like stage editor, it was so underwhelming in Brawl & 4 that I feel like you could just do away with it.

Tldr: sakurai goes over board with a lot of stuff, and shouldn't work to the point where he harms himself.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
This is going to be a massively unpopular opinion, but I've always found Sakurai's work ethic to be really silly. I know he works his *** off, but you shouldn't be working so hard that you cause physical harm to yourself, which, IMO, doesn't look good on Nintendo for letting one of there employees work so hard they cause bodily to themselves. Plus I just can't help, but feel like he goes overboard with a lot of content that isn't usually well received by the Smash community. Like, I know there are some people that like these modes, but let's be honest... A majority of people didn't enjoy Smash Tour, the angry birds knock off, etc... And while I do like stage editor, it was so underwhelming in Brawl & 4 that I feel like you could just do away with it.

Tldr: sakurai goes over board with a lot of stuff, and shouldn't work to the point where he harms himself.
In Japan it's admirable to work stupid long hours. Quantity>quality there.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think World of Light looks fun and I don't care about Stage Builder, trophies, and the Stadium modes being gone.

Also, this is possibly the best batch of newcomers we've ever gotten (though Brawl is hard to beat for me). Quality > quantity, and even then, we also have quantity when you consider all the returning veterans who weren't in Smash 4 and the overall massive size of the roster as a whole.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, this is possibly the best batch of newcomers we've ever gotten (though Brawl is hard to beat for me). Quality > quantity, and even then, we also have quantity when you consider all the returning veterans who weren't in Smash 4 and the overall massive size of the roster as a whole.
Dude its already the best since its got these two.

:ultkrool::ultridley:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
This is going to be a massively unpopular opinion, but I've always found Sakurai's work ethic to be really silly. I know he works his *** off, but you shouldn't be working so hard that you cause physical harm to yourself, which, IMO, doesn't look good on Nintendo for letting one of there employees work so hard they cause bodily to themselves. Plus I just can't help, but feel like he goes overboard with a lot of content that isn't usually well received by the Smash community. Like, I know there are some people that like these modes, but let's be honest... A majority of people didn't enjoy Smash Tour, the angry birds knock off, etc... And while I do like stage editor, it was so underwhelming in Brawl & 4 that I feel like you could just do away with it.

tl;dr Japan's work ethic is ****ing unhealthy.
Sakurai could have done a lot more to make a game to satisfy the most players, so let's not pretend that he's some kind of messiah. How long he spent in his office (while developers no one talks about slaved away) especially shouldn't be used as justification for such.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
That, and Brawl's second to me. It had a great All-star(:wario:…)/fan request(:sonic: …) mix of newcomers.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
i know we're not supposed to be commenting on other's opinions, but seriously, where is everyone getting the information that stage builder is gone? did someone at Nintendo confirm this or something?
I suppose it's technically not confirmed, but it seems quite likely it's gone, considering the Direct, which was supposed to be the final blowout of info for the game, didn't make mention of it. I mean, when they start going into detail about things like display settings and whatnot but don't mention features like Stage Builder, it says something about the state of that feature to me.

Guess it's possible it's still there, but it seems like it isn't, and regardless of the situation, I won't mind.

_Artichoke_

Smash Rookie
1) I think Ridley looks bad. REALLY bad, to the point where I completely understand and agree with Sakurai's decision not to include him in previous games.

2) Ever since the design was leaked for sun and moon I have despised every aspect of Incineroar. The very fact it was included over virtually any other Pokemon (or any other character for that matter) frustrates me immensely. Maybe my opinion will change but it has already been a few years and I hate it as much as ever. I might even choose not to unlock Incineroar for as long as possible so that the random option can't make me play as or against it.

3) While I was frustrated at first I have really warmed up on this latest direct. The spirits and adventure mode look fun and I can see myself spending much more time with it than the online mode.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Sakurai could have done a lot more to make a game to satisfy the most players, so let's not pretend that he's some kind of messiah. How long he spent in his office (while developers no one talks about slaved away) especially shouldn't be used as justification for such.
If this is what you think I'm doing then criticizing a culture's unhealthy treatment of workers, you are sorely ****ing mistaken.

If this is not what you think I'm doing, then why are you quoting my post when saying this?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If this is what you think I'm doing then criticizing a culture's unhealthy treatment of workers, you are sorely ****ing mistaken.

If this is not what you think I'm doing, then why are you quoting my post when saying this?
You were in the conversation, so I wanted you to get pinged.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I've actually heard about Japanese work ethic in the past. Apparently some people work so hard that they end up dying. They even have a term for it.

Anyway, while I'm here, I might as well drop another unpopular opinion...

I never understood the whole, "You should be grateful.", argument. For the most part, I'm happy with everything Sakurai & crew have done with Smash, but that doesn't mean I have to grateful for literally every aspect of it. It's not like Nintendo is releasing Smash for free. I still need to drop $60 to get it, and that's not even counting additional content. It should also be noted that online is no longer free so I also have to pay for that if I want to use any of the online functionality. So this idea that I have to worship & praise every aspect of Ultimate just seems absurd to me.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I would prefer Tails in over Shadow. If he's not in as DLC (probably won't be), it's a little upsetting he's not an AT with the other two main characters from the franchise.

Also, I'd rather deserving first party characters who've been in several games (such as Dixie Kong or Impa) be included in the DLC rather than popular third parties.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don’t think Cinny and the piranha plant deserve all the hate for not being the grinch leak characters instead.
I probably would have felt the same even if the Grinch leak was true to be honest. My dislike for the piranha plant is because of what he is and not because of what he isn't
As for incineroar, I just haven't been able to care about Pokemon Gen 5.

I never understood the whole, "You should be grateful.", argument. For the most part, I'm happy with everything Sakurai & crew have done with Smash, but that doesn't mean I have to grateful for literally every aspect of it. It's not like Nintendo is releasing Smash for free. I still need to drop $60 to get it, and that's not even counting additional content. I should also be noted that online is no longer free so I also have to pay for that if I want to use any of the online functionality. So this idea that I have to worship & praise every aspect of Ultimate just seems absurd to me.
Very much of this. I don't deny that why he entitled Gamers exist, just look at the people who sent death threats over but whiny and entitled are thrown around as meaningless buzzwords that kind of lost meaning to me. Whenever people use them so loosely like this it only looks to me like people are just trying to suppress any kind of negative reception that anything gets. which isn't very healthy for the industry to be honest.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Has this been said? Unpopular opinion: I don't like stage transitions or stages that tours you around it as a whole. The function's not exactly necessary, more distractive and your constantly needed to rebuild comfort every time your moved or transitioned.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I've got another one, assist trophies are a good thing, yes even that character that you wanted to be playable. Your character is not an assist trophy instead of being playable, he's an assist trophy because there was no time to make them playable. it also lets lesser characters be apart of this series that otherwise would have just been a sticker or a trophy.
want to know who my Most Wanted for brawl was? It was Little Mac. And it did sting a little bit getting his assist trophy revealed, but then every time he actually showed up in a match I got happy just seeing him, even if he was used against me. I'm probably going to feel the same way about spring man.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Okay, there's respectfully disagreeing with me, and then there's just being a ****.
People can be un-hyped by the Direct without being "whiny cry babies", and for the most part, they have good reason to other than "my favorite character got AT'd :'(". Sure, there are some who have acted unreasonable and ******, but that's hardly the majority and it's unfair to lump the rest of us who were simply underwhelmed by the Direct in with them. Honestly, this kind of anti-hype policing within the Smash community that dictates that people have to be excited by every reveal, lest they be labeled salty ingrates, really gets my goat, especially when someone starts their reply with "With absolutely no respect due to anyone". That right there sickens me to my core more than any undercut expectations ever could.
Lemme just say your pfp is amazing.

Ok but I totally agree with you. You don't have to be happy with the direct results, but that doesn't make you a whiny crying baby.

And yes it's true everyone, Japan's work ethic is a bit off the rocker.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I worry the state of Mario enemies. With the recent playable appearances in various games (:ultpiranha: in Smash, Chain Chomp, Spike, Boo, Koopa, Paratroopa and Shy Guy in Mario Tennis Aces, half the cast in the last Mario Party being Bowser and his minons) and the fact that Illuminations is making the Mario movie, I fear Bowser's minions might end up becoming Nintendo's version of the minions. Mostly the later fact though.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
See all my posts in "Smash Ultimate- Quantity or Quality?" and there you go. Those are some very unpopular opinions. Nobody has to agree with them, but I wish there were less hype surrounding the game and more vigilance.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think World of Light looks fun and I don't care about Stage Builder, trophies, and the Stadium modes being gone.

I agree with this basically, although I would put the newcomers below Brawl and above Smash 4 (base). I have varying degrees of like-to-love for the unique newcomers except for Isabelle who I'm indifferent to, and the echoes are mostly neutral for me. But I'm hyped about the lizards, Incineroar looks really fun, the Belmonts impressed me despite my initial hesitation at Simon when leaks were circulating, and Inkling has an obviously creative moveset and is a character that has every reason to be in the game, despite me not playing Splatoon.

I think if you had to select only six new characters to be playable in this Smash, you could have done a lot worse. I know the inclusion of a Pokemon newcomer is controversial, but whatever ups and downs the series has gone through over the last 20 years (especially since the 3DS), the monster designs are always on point and bring some of the most fun Smash fighters.

The inclusion of all veterans definitely makes up for any weak spots in the newcomers.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
People who open up neutral with :GCD::GCB: are among some of the worst members of the community.
Which characters are you specifically referring to with this comment? Because I'm pretty sure someone starting a match by immediately using :ultolimar:'s Call Pikmin thing aren't going to be nearly as annoying as, say, a :ultbayonetta: or :ultcloud: player doing it.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm talking about:
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultganondorf::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultrobin::ultryu::ultsamus::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultzss:
Okay, some of these make varying degrees of sense as the immediate first thing to do at the start of a match (:ultcloud:, :ultmario:, :ultdiddy:, :ultmegaman:, :ultpacman:, :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultbowserjr:, :ultlink:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultyounglink:, :ultvillager:, :ultzelda:, :ultfalcon:, :ultganondorf:, :ultsonic:, :ultzss:, :ultduckhunt:) and others are "Why would you do that?!" (:ultbayonetta:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ultsamus:, :ultluigi:, :ultdoc:, :ultyoshi:, :ultmewtwo:).

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Okay, some of these make varying degrees of sense as the immediate first thing to do at the start of a match (:ultcloud:, :ultmario:, :ultdiddy:, :ultmegaman:, :ultpacman:, :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultbowserjr:, :ultlink:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultyounglink:, :ultzelda:, :ultfalcon:, :ultganondorf:, :ultsonic:, :ultzss:, :ultduckhunt:) and others are "Why would you do that?!" (:ultbayonetta:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ultsamus:, :ultluigi:, :ultdoc:, :ultyoshi:, :ultmewtwo:).
These are all weird experiences with others on FG of mine:
:ultbayonetta:: Witch time spammer
:ultjigglypuff:: Puff dittos, also once I met a rest spammer
:ultsamus:: Someone tried to combo down B into dair on the edge, ended up losing badly
:ultluigi:: Spammer. Also they used it to recover which was pretty annoying
:ultdoc:: See Luigi
:ultyoshi:: Spammer, ended up SD'ing multiple times
:ultmewtwo:: Spammer who tried to use jank

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
These are all weird experiences with others on FG of mine:
:ultbayonetta:: Witch time spammer
:ultjigglypuff:: Puff dittos, also once I met a rest spammer
:ultsamus:: Someone tried to combo down B into dair on the edge, ended up losing badly
:ultluigi:: Spammer. Also they used it to recover which was pretty annoying
:ultdoc:: See Luigi
:ultyoshi:: Spammer, ended up SD'ing multiple times
:ultmewtwo:: Spammer who tried to use jank
Pretty sure there's a difference between "spamming" and "opening a match with said move" though, but perhaps I'm just mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom