• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I totally disagree with Sakurai reason to not include BotW Zelda, i never seen Zelda doing much fighting, at least in the games i’ve played, at least when she’s just herself and not Sheik or being possesed, she mostly assists Link with her magic, that said i love her A Link to the Past design that she’s using in Smash Ultimate.

I feel like they just didn’t want to stray away from her princess look while doing something refreshing, but then again she uses more traditional princess dresses in BotW, two of them in fact, maybe Sakurai just loves the ALttP design, i don’t blame him.
I'll give you a hint.

The BOTW Zelda not being a fighter thing is an excuse based on lore to cover up the real reasons.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'll give you a hint.

The BOTW Zelda not being a fighter thing is an excuse based on lore to cover up the real reasons.
So they didn’t want to spoiler BotW?
Then again i didn’t pay a lot of attention to Link’s memories with Zelda,
i do remember her using really powerful magic to seal Calamity Ganon at the end

I dunno, i find his reasoning on BotW Zelda to be on the same vein on why he didn’t want Villager and Ridley playable in the past.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I dunno, i find his reasoning on BotW Zelda to be on the same vein on why he didn’t want Villager and Ridley playable in the past.
I have a feeling you got it before.
I feel like they just didn’t want to stray away from her princess look while doing something refreshing
The Adventuring pants are the iconic outfit from BotW, but she doesn't look 'princess-y' in it. I really would have liked if they'd used the royal gown; it was absolutely gorgeous, and so underused in the game.

Then again, it also gave an excuse to get all of the Zelda characters in a different style so they didn't have to make up a fake BotW-style Ganondorf, so that's also a benefit to the way they did it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Wanting all characters from same franchise to come from different games?

D

Deleted member

I like to think that Sheik in Ultimate is actually BotW Zelda, considering she was redesigned to wear Link's Sheikah outfit from that game as opposed to keeping her TP-style look or reverting back to OoT like Ganondorf or having an original design inspired by ALttP/ALBW to match Zelda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are a good twenty-five or so Fire Emblem characters I'd personally prefer to see added over most of the majorly-requested first party options.

Also I'd have much preferred BotW Zelda over ALttP Zelda.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People who say characters are "boring" usually have a boring imagination.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
-Assist trophies were a mistake. Not just that, but in an era where Nintendo can and does do DLC, they are actually worse than nothing. At least if your most wanted didn't get in at all you could always still hold out hope for DLC. It's basically the death sentence of that character's chances of ever getting into that installment of Smash unless by some miracle Sakurai finally breaks the trend of assist trophies just staying assist trophies. Most people who say "well I'm just glad they got in at all" are probably lying to themselves. You wanted them playable, not to be some RNG item that bumbles around the stage for a minute and maybe throws out an attack or 2 before leaving. What really sucks is how some of the assist trophies look like they might as well have been made playable now when you see them in action, like Knuckles. For the people who turn items off your most wanted might as well not be there anyway since you'll never see them. Scraping assist trophies would also mean one less thing to spend dev time and resources on.

-Speaking of assist trophies, Waluigi deserves to be in Smash Bros more than Corrin and Bayonetta ever did or ever will. At least then we'd have a character people actually know and actually wanted instead of 2 literally who's that were added for the sole purpose of being shameless ads for their most recent games, especially after Sakurai saying the final DLC characters would be fan-service. What's funny is that now that the Smash Ballot was basically proven to be a sham (lol what a surprise) Bayonetta doesn't even have that to fall back on anymore.

-There's going to come a time when we'll get a "reboot" for Smash that goes back to the basics for characters, probably somewhere in between Brawl's-Smash 4's (base) roster size. At some point Sakurai isn't going to want to program literally 90 or 100 characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
-There's going to come a time when we'll get a "reboot" for Smash that goes back to the basics for characters, probably somewhere in between Brawl's-Smash 4's (base) roster size. At some point Sakurai isn't going to want to program literally 90 or 100 characters.
It's not like he individually programs every thing. There are other people working on this thing!

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
-Assist trophies were a mistake. Not just that, but in an era where Nintendo can and does do DLC, they are actually worse than nothing. At least if your most wanted didn't get in at all you could always still hold out hope for DLC. It's basically the death sentence of that character's chances of ever getting into that installment of Smash unless by some miracle Sakurai finally breaks the trend of assist trophies just staying assist trophies. Most people who say "well I'm just glad they got in at all" are probably lying to themselves. You wanted them playable, not to be some RNG item that bumbles around the stage for a minute and maybe throws out an attack or 2 before leaving. What really sucks is how some of the assist trophies look like they might as well have been made playable now when you see them in action, like Knuckles. For the people who turn items off your most wanted might as well not be there anyway since you'll never see them. Scraping assist trophies would also mean one less thing to spend dev time and resources on.
I agree that if someone wants a character playable, that character getting in as an assist trophy is disappointing and is only really a positive in that there's hope that the assist trophy generates enough interest in the character for them to be promoted in the next game. However, there are some characters that I think are better suited to an assist trophy role: characters with basically one ability that is interesting/feasible to showcase. For example, I really want Spheal to get in as a Pokéball Pokémon using Rollout. He's so damn cute, but it would be kind of silly for him to be playable (although he would fit in a Pokémon Trainer trio...).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Half of the Smash fandom have no idea how game development works.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Half of the Smash fandom have no idea how game development works.
That's a fact, but lemmi give you an unpopular opinion as a retourt;

Not knowing about game development doesn't invalidate any concerns or thoughts brought up by the community. Someone who has spent their entire life making games can still make a stupid decision and if that's the case, the community should call it out for what it is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's a fact, but lemmi give you an unpopular opinion as a retourt;

Not knowing about game development doesn't invalidate any concerns or thoughts brought up by the community. Someone who has spent their entire life making games can still make a stupid decision and if that's the case, the community should call it out for what it is.
Sure, but there's a difference between criticizing real mistakes and bad decisions and complaining about things directly result of "adult reasons". Smash fandom has a tendency to mix the latter with "Sakurai hates fans!".

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I don't get the hype for Geno. He's a one-time spin-off party member who hasn't appeared in more than two decades. (The doll he posseses in SMRPG makes a cameo in Superstar Saga but it's not really ''him'') He feels like a character who's only highly requested due to being popular back in the Brawl and to a lesser extend the Smash 4 days. (Back when people didn't know as much of how Smash development works as right now) When looking at the bigger picture he's pretty insignificant to the Mario franchise. I see no difference between adding him or adding for example Madame Flurrie from TTYD. He should not get rewarded a playable role before Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi or most popular non Mario requested newcomers.

And having a identity crisis being both a Mario and a Third-party character doesn't help either

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I want them to change Sonics design to his classic design, his sonic adventure style design looks awful.

D

Deleted member

I really don't get why people are so opposed to western characters.
I know it's just another example of the Smash fanbase being close minded as it is but it really feels like the stupidest fanrule out there. Why would you be opposed to characters solely because of where they were created of all things?

Last edited by a moderator:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I really don't get why people are so opposed to western characters.
I know it's just another example of the Smash fanbase being close minded as it is but it really feels like the stupidest fanrule out there. Why would you be opposed to characters solely because of where they were created of all things?
This always struck me as the dumbest fanrule of 'em all.

There is a constant exchange of culture in both eastern and western media, influencing each other. The earliest anime was inspired by western animation. Meanwhile many current western cartoons take influence from anime the creators of those shows liked.

Creatives usually have admiration towards others creations, not disdain. It is a healthy cultural exchange, not a contest of superiority.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I was the most excited for Pichu out of every character in the reveal video, since I NEVER thought he'd be back but I wanted him sooo bad.

Anyone who thinks that a fire emblem character with basic weaponry that we have in the real world would be more unique than characters like K. Rool, Bandana Dee, or, heck, even retros like Excitebiker are completely and utterly ignorant in my eyes. Frankly, I fail to see how Fire Emblem has more unique characters than virtually every other major Nintendo series.

I feel like third parties are vital to generate hype for Smash at this point honestly, and hope to see some more groundbreaking characters like Master Chief, Crash, etc.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This always struck me as the dumbest fanrule of 'em all.

There is a constant exchange of culture in both eastern and western media, influencing each other. The earliest anime was inspired by western animation. Meanwhile many current western cartoons take influence from anime the creators of those shows liked.

Creatives usually have admiration towards others creations, not disdain. It is a healthy cultural exchange, not a contest of superiority.
Agreed. I mean, a lot of Nintendo's own franchises, like Mario and Star Fox, takes obvious aesthetic influences from Western cartoons, so the whole "no western characters" mentality is pretty strange to begin with.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Like I said before, Diddy was made by Rare so there is, in a sense, already a Western character on the roster.

Still, I don't want someone like Master Chief. He might be the one character more egregious than Cloud. Plus, I think Sakurai did say that he would have had reservations about Cloud had he never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form even if it was in a minor capacity. Put the FFVII remake on the Switch.

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
-
Speaking of assist trophies, Waluigi deserves to be in Smash Bros more than Corrin and Bayonetta ever did or ever will. At least then we'd have a character people actually know and actually wanted instead of 2 literally who's that were added for the sole purpose of being shameless ads for their most recent games, especially after Sakurai saying the final DLC characters would be fan-service. What's funny is that now that the Smash Ballot was basically proven to be a sham (lol what a surprise) Bayonetta doesn't even have that to fall back on anymore.
But at least Corrin and Bayonetta are the main characters of their own game/apart of their mainline series games. Just Saying

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
But at least Corrin and Bayonetta are the main characters of their own game/apart of their mainline series games. Just Saying
Ok, I'm not disagreeing with an opinion here, so this should be good.

I get his point though, Waluigi is CERTAINLY more recognizable and iconic than some random avatar from the bajillionth fire emblem and a literal angel killer from a M rated non-Nintendo game, regardless of how often Waluigi shows up. Now, I'm perfectly fine with Corrin and Bayonetta, but to say they are iconic in the world of gaming is just straight up wrong. But I dunno, let's not argue about this and get back to the point of the thread.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The only western characters that aren’t exclusive to a company that would fit Smash are Rayman and Crash, but the most deserving is King K. Rool.
A few indies would fit too, but i dunno about their chances.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Everyone is back!" was great and all, but Ultimate newcomers has yet to surpass Smash For newcomers.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Here's a couple more

The idea that a character "deserves" to be in Smash is just stupid to me. I feel like anyone that deserves to be in Smash is already in. Now we are really just scrapping the bottom of the barrel. There's really no more truly deserving characters anymore.

Don't know if this one is unpopular but I hate watching a newcomer speculation/newcomer wants video and see nothing but 3rd party characters. The game is made by Nintendo for a reason.

There should be more gimmicky characters like Cloud and Bayonetta. It's those gimmicks like Cloud's limit breaker and Bayonetta's witch time and agility that makes them top tier. No matter how many nerfs Bayo gets she will still be top tier unless she gets a moveset revamp.

I really wanted Counter to be gone from this game or just have counter not take up a special button. It's not really fun to use. It's a move rarely used and it makes most of the fire emblem roster boring to watch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Bandana Dee is the least interesting Kirby character they could add, and I could think of a suite of others that would be better than him.
  • I have a deep dislike of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and, provided we get another Xenoblade character at all, I would rather see someone from Chronicles 1 or X.
  • Ryu, Cloud and Snake are on par with Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man in terms of being iconic and immediately recognizable characters, and now that they're here (and in Snake's case, back again) the series would be objectively worse if they were removed for future games.
  • That said, and even though I like the character and games, Bayonetta feels wildly out of place and her inclusion still kinda leaves me scratching my head.
  • I would not have cared in the slightest if they swept Pichu under the rug and forgot she was ever in Melee.
  • Goku, Steve, and Doomguy would make for great newcomers. Doom helped make FPS games what they are today, Minecraft is one of the largest video game franchises ever, and I'll bet you $20 that you can't find me someone who grew up in the 90s that didn't know about Dragon Ball Z.
  • In spite of points 1, 2, 4, and 5, wishing for a character's removal/deconfirmation or rooting against their inclusion is a ****ty thing to do. Just because you don't like that character does not mean other people have to as well, let them have their fun with the characters they like. Plus, you've got 60+ others to play instead, and one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-I would like Sans in Smash.

-I would like Mortal Kombat and Plants vs. Zombies representation.

-Ridley should be a bit bigger lol.

-The BotW Champions still sound like very bad choices for newcomers.

-I liked TP Zelda and TP Ganondorf more.

-I would like Geno because he is cool, but he definitely doesn't deserve to be in the game IMO.

-Counters are awesome.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
It's okay to hate certain characters.
It's okay to want certain characters cut.
It's okay to hope certain characters don't get in.
It's okay to hope that there won't be any newcomers from a certain series.

Just don't be an ass about it. There's a line between not liking a character, and thus not wanting them in Smash, versus not wanting a character in Smash just so that their fanbase will be upset. Or thinking that a series has enough characters, and thus not wanting more, versus wanting the series to be cut entirely out of spite for fans of that series.

D

Deleted member

I actually want more playable Fire Emblem characters. Preferably not a bunch of lords, but actual representative classes, like axe wielders and dragons.

I would've been very disappointed if they completely rebooted Mario just cause of Odyssey. I think that his moveset is too iconic to get rid of entirely.

I prefer 4P FFA w. items on over 1v1 stock by a huge margin. Smash is a fun game when it's not taken so seriously.

Miis should be a mainstay, and it's silly to be an ass towards people that like playing as them.

The competitive community did more harm than good for the franchise imo. I think Brawl would've been much better if it essentially wasn't a reaction to how Melee was perceived in the end. And it also brought excessive toxicity to the fanbase. Smash U is a determined example of how the franchise tries to ease it's recovery into a faster pace once again.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Brawl is and always has been better than Smash 4.

If Smash 4 had to cut someone, Falco should have been cut before Wolf, ever.

With everyone returning, I wouldn't mind if in total there were just six newcomers.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad would be a worthless addition to Smash Bros that would feel out of place
Toad is just always overhyped and will always be a move for Peach. Like seriously, they will never fully get rid of that move for peach.
Dixie Kong just feels overrated to me
Marx is better suited as a Boss than a Playable Character
Wolf is just too overrated and his return was overhyped for me
Squirtle > Greninja
Poke Floats is a fun stage that needs more love

IDK how popular this is but...
I want the Pokémon Spinoff Games represented in Smash either by Stages and/or by Music
(because I want content from PokéPark, Pokémon Colosseum, XD, Mystery Dungeon, etc.)
IK it is unlikely due to how there weren't represented in SSBB and SSB4, but I can at least dream

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Captain Toad would be a worthless addition to Smash Bros that would feel out of place
Toad is just always overhyped and will always be a move for Peach. Like seriously, they will never fully get rid of that move for peach.
Dixie Kong just feels overrated to me
Marx is better suited as a Boss than a Playable Character
Wolf is just too overrated and his return was overhyped for me
Squirtle > Greninja
Poke Floats is a fun stage that needs more love

IDK how popular this is but...
I want the Pokémon Spinoff Games represented in Smash either by Stages and/or by Music
(because I want content from PokéPark, Pokémon Colosseum, XD, Mystery Dungeon, etc.)
IK it is unlikely due to how there weren't represented in SSBB and SSB4, but I can at least dream
How the hell was this never considered a SSB stage is criminal
pokemon-battle-revolution-poketopia.jpg

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
After Cloud got added the natural evolution of unlikely characters that deserve a spot is Master Chief. Who i have 0 doubt will eventually be in Ultimate.

Xenoblade is fine with only one rep.

I don't want ARMS to get a character beyond an assist trophy. Possibly not even as DLC or in the next Smash.

There is literally nothing wrong with Bayonetta being in Smash, besides maybe balancing.

D

Deleted member

I don't think "X franchise is fine with just Y reps" or is a good reason to deny a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom