• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Maybe the Knuckle Joe was a bit helped for having a role in the anime.

The rest of the enemies you mentioned (included Lakitu); while don't having names; I personally think are supposed to be seen as Elite Mooks; some of the most powerful and threating normal enemies in their respective games (and in Metroid's case, even been their franchise's namesake).
I don't really see them that way.
I prefer actual characters as Assist Trophies, same with playable characters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Here's one for you.

I don't think Xander should be the announcer. I think the announcer really defines a game. Having him back feels cheap. His voice is also getting a bit grating (feels like he's trying too hard).

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I honestly don't really like any of the gen VII Pokémon people are supporting for Smash.
Nothing wrong with the 'mons or the people themselves, I'd just rather see other Pokémon from Gens prior make it in Smash, something Like Garchomp and Gallade from Gen IV or Gardevoir and Sceptile from Gen III or Genesect from Gen V.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Since Melee Brinstar is coming back... I hate that stage and its music, it's way too small and the acid makes it claustrophobic to play, Planet Zebes is the better Metroid acid stage, the bigger size made it possible to actually focus on battling even with the different levels of rising lava, and the more vertical shape made spiking and bouncing opponents up and on the acid so fun.
The only good thing about Brinstar is the aesthetics.

Lucas Storey

Smash Cadet
Here's one for you.

I don't think Xander should be the announcer. I think the announcer really defines a game. Having him back feels cheap. His voice is also getting a bit grating (feels like he's trying too hard).
To: SmashChu
I don’t know why smash hirted a 12 year old for smash?

I don’t want Roku in smash not because hes not a video game character samurai wanted James bond and hes a film character so that engagement is invalid salad no they would make Gouge weak and he is not weak he can stop superman in a fight and for him to get killed by bayonet would make me very upset.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
If youre going to support an iconic character whose origins are outside of video games, I don't understand how Goku became the default choice. Because he's Japanese and so is Smash? Then Godzilla is significantly more iconic. Even other anime characters like Speed Racer and Sailor Moon match him. DBZ really isnt much of a household name in the West; it just feels like it is because we are all in an internet nerd bubble.

splat

Smash Lord
If youre going to support an iconic character whose origins are outside of video games, I don't understand how Goku became the default choice. Because he's Japanese and so is Smash? Then Godzilla is significantly more iconic. Even other anime characters like Speed Racer and Sailor Moon match him. DBZ really isnt much of a household name in the West; it just feels like it is because we are all in an internet nerd bubble.
Because Goku is the main character from a series that defined part of many of this generation’s (who tend to be the people involved in Smash speculation) childhood. Many of my friends, who are by no means internet nerds, have very fond memories of Goku and would be thrilled to see him in games like this. If anything, the Smash community is largely against him, while the people largely outside the Smash bubble advocate for him.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Let's just drop it at Goku isn't a video game character and thus ineligible and move on.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I want Waluigi in Smash because I like the character and not because he's a meme, and I think the majority of his fans are in the same boat, unlike what people have been claiming

I want a Rhythm Heaven character but if it's meant to be Tibby I'd rather have no one at all

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wouldn't mind if Yooka-Laylee were to get in. I love the game, I think they'd have a cool moveset and I especially love Yooka in particular.

What, you think I love him because he's a cute, green, anthropomorphic lizard that has an eating ability? Don't be ridiculous!!! What on Earth gives you that impression?.....

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Because Goku is the main character from a series that defined part of many of this generation’s (who tend to be the people involved in Smash speculation) childhood. Many of my friends, who are by no means internet nerds, have very fond memories of Goku and would be thrilled to see him in games like this. If anything, the Smash community is largely against him, while the people largely outside the Smash bubble advocate for him.
But whyyyyyyyy? There is no way, no matter how you quantify it, that the people of "your" generation have that many more fond memories of Goku than the people of "my" generation do of, say, the Ninja Turtles. But we have never seriously made the claim that they should be in Smash. And we arguably could, given their NES legacy alone.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
But whyyyyyyyy? There is no way, no matter how you quantify it, that the people of "your" generation have that many more fond memories of Goku than the people of "my" generation do of, say, the Ninja Turtles. But we have never seriously made the claim that they should be in Smash. And we arguably could, given their NES legacy alone.
I too grew up on TMNT, Mike. Not sure where you're getting the "your" and "my" generation thing from, I said that the people involved in Smash discussion tend to be somewhat younger. This spreadsheet from Source Gaming shows the results of their Smash poll, which also includes the age of the respondents. As shown there, the median is 19 years of age, while the mode is 16 years. Granted, this poll is 3 years old, but even if this group is still involved in Smash without any new people enjoying Smash discussions, the median is only 22 years. While these people probably know of the TMNT, the people with the fondest memories of them are generally underrepresented in the community.

Consider the release dates. Smash 64 came out in 1999 and Melee in 2001, in a period that may very well be the peak of Dragon Ball Z popularity. Imagine being young and playing either of these games, looking at the roster and dreaming about potential new fighters. It's only logical to look at the other things you enjoy without thinking of what makes sense (I wanted Sunshine's Pianta to be playable way back when), and as Goku tends to fight a lot its not strange a lot of people had the thought he'd be great. You may very well see remnants of these childhood dreams.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't really see them that way.
I prefer actual characters as Assist Trophies, same with playable characters.
There's more than one Decidueye though, right?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Xander is my least favorite announcer in the series. Nothing against the guy personally or anything. I just think his performance isn't that great. Sounds like he's parodying the previous announcers - mainly Pat Cashman from Brawl, my second least favorite - rather than authentically matching them or just doing his own thing.

I think Waluigi deserves to be playable, but I don't care about him as a character (find him very obnoxious) and there are still several Mario characters I'd rather have before him.

I don't want any new Pokémon characters in Ultimate. It's my favorite franchise, but with nine characters from the series already playable, I'm content with what we have. Most of them being from Gen 1 doesn't bother me. It's not my favorite generation, but they're all just "Pokémon" characters to me, regardless of when they debuted.

There could be five DK characters and the series still wouldn't be too over-represented (though it'd be pushing it). Assuming that either Dixie Kong or K. Rool alone is more than enough in regard to newcomers is very low in scope, in my opinion.

"Playstyle" potential is more important than moveset potential. A lot of characters seem to be requested based on how flashy and bombastic their canon toolkits are, without consideration for how they could form a cohesive playstyle in Smash. I'd prefer another sword-wielder that uses the weapon in an interesting way than a character with a million different powers that make for cosmetically unique but mechanically generic moves.

Most of the new items in Smash 4 and Ultimate are largely lackluster, being either redundant with already existing items, overly intrusive in the flow of battle, a huge stretch to adapt as an item in the first place (Bullet Bill, Launch Star), or derived from a series that is already well-represented with items as it is (Mario, Kirby, Kid Icarus).

I like simple palette swaps more than alt costumes and skins. I like skins too, but I usually don't use them and I prefer the visual clarity of the standard palette swaps.

I don't think we're at a loss for good first-party newcomers just yet. If/when we do reach that point, however, I'd rather they start retooling stagnant veterans with new movesets as a selling point instead of forcing themselves to keep adding newcomers and needlessly bloating the roster size.

I am 100% content with Ganondorf's moveset now. I think all the gradual decloning over the years, the recent animation rehauls, and the addition of sword moves for all three smash attacks makes him feel very distinct from Captain Falcon now, and a mix of swordfighting and brawling is what I think best suits the character. Even in canon, he's never been purely sword-based as a fighter, and changes his fighting style in all of his boss fights anyway. It's not perfect, of course - he doesn't have Dead Man's Volley or anything - but pretty much every character is lacking something they're known for, and he's now at a point where he feels like his own character and still has a playstyle that works for him.

Last edited:

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
Unpopular opinion: brawl is the worst smash game in terms of multiplayer (story mode was good though)

Wait this is smash 5 opinions. My bad lol

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Alright something that has bothered me for a while is the hegemonic mindset of pokemon representation in smash. There seems to be a popular mindset that there are too many pokemon from gen one and that we need representation from later generations (particularly the newest generation). Personally I don't get this, as pokemon doesn't necessarily have a revolving cast of pokemon. That and earlier pokemon have a longer time to build popularity. The newest generation on the other hand is honestly untested and I feel most of the popularity of these pokemon are based on frivolous reasons making them seem like flavors of the month. I think the best example of this was the popularity of character Sceptile to Decidueye just to fit a need for all starter evo representation. No one gets frustrated with say Mario's representation focusing on characters released in the NES era but for pokemon it seems like some great sin or fan service to 'genwunners.' I understand there is a difference with the reprentation and the reason people feel this way, I just feel it's unwarranted.

Now that isn't to say I believe the next (hypothetical) pokemon should be a gen one poke; personally I think Blaziken or Gardevoir are the most worthy of the slot. However, I do feel that newest gen pokes shouldn't jump to priority just based on their freshness. I guess all in all I wish pokemon as a franchise was treated more like any other non fire emblem franchise and had its reps considered due to their impact. Though to be completely honest I think the franchise has more than enough fighters and shouldn't and will not be represented this time around with a new fighter.

D

Deleted member

Here's some of mine
I Think Inkling will be hot garbage
I want Dora the Explorer to be a playable character
I want boots to be a assist trophy
I think Daisy is the most lazy thing ever
I think King Dedede will be the worst character

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Mimikyu would be a really lame playable character. I would much rather see Rowlet, Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Incineroar before Mimikyu.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Call me a prude, but I’m really convinced Bayonetta needs to be an “optional unlock”. As in, behind some kind of a wall that you have to intentionally go through to unlock her rather than x hundred number of matches. A lot of parents are going to be buying this game for their families and even heavily censored may find her problematic or worry about their kids wanting to play the source games. In smash 4 she was DLC so I, for example, just didn’t buy her. Based on what I’m seeing every previous character is going to be in the game to start though.

My proposed solution to this? Put all the third party characters in particular in some kind of a shop where they can be purchased with in game coins. This would also be beneficial to people who don’t want third parties in their Nintendo game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Call me a prude, but I’m really convinced Bayonetta needs to be an “optional unlock”. As in, behind some kind of a wall that you have to intentionally go through to unlock her rather than x hundred number of matches. A lot of parents are going to be buying this game for their families and even heavily censored may find her problematic or worry about their kids wanting to play the source games. In smash 4 she was DLC so I, for example, just didn’t buy her. Based on what I’m seeing every previous character is going to be in the game to start though.

My proposed solution to this? Put all the third party characters in particular in some kind of a shop where they can be purchased with in game coins. This would also be beneficial to people who don’t want third parties in their Nintendo game.
I see where you're coming from, but that still wouldn't stop people from using her online, so it'd hardly be a foolproof solution to the most helicopter of parents.
Better solution: remove Bayo from the game

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bayo's not even that bad.

Smash 4 ZSS and Palutena's pole dance taunt is worse.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
I like the Mii Fighters' redesigns and also like that they are coming back.

Just wanted to say because it seems like every other reaction vid I see of the E3 Direct involves some shade thrown the Miis' way.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'm perfectly content with this game from the simple fact that every previous character is back in this one.
Everything else from now on is a bonus to me.

Sakurai doesn't owe us anything.

XxCzardxX

Smash Rookie
Okay, here we go...

- I never liked the idea of 3rd parties in Smash. I think Smash should be Nintendo franchises only.

- I don't think Captain Toad has a chance, and both Bandana Dee and King K. Rool are pretty unlikely.

- While I think Decidueye is interesting and would definitely add something new to the game, I think Incineroar would be a better choice for a Gen 7 rep. I also think Mimikyu would not work at all in Smash, and would even take something ridiculous like Buzzwole or Xurkitree over Mimikyu.

- I really don't care to see Geno, Ninten, Black Shadow, Chrom, Isabelle, or the Chorus Men in Smash. I also don't want to see any secondary reps from 3rd party franchices, and I think the inclusion of a 4th party characters would mark the beginning of the end for Smash.

- The only potential 3rd party newcomers I think deserve a slot in Smash are Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

- Sakurai can add all the Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem characters he wants as long as they aren't just all clones of each other and bring something new to the table.

- I think King Boo would cool in Smash, but I know it's never going to happen.

- The minigame mode I want to see return the most is Board the Platforms. I would also gladly trade any Adventure Mode we may get for Smash Run.

- I don't like directional airdodging or how weak airdodging is in Smash 5. I do like the dodge staling mechanic, though.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Young Link didn't need to be revamped.
Link's changes are ideal; they're different enough from his original moves while still staying rooted in his typical, most-recurring, weapons.
Zelda does not, "need a newcomer with a unique moveset."
Saying that any series, "needs a newcomer with a unqiue movset," is a shallow point of view.
There's nothing wrong with this way of thinking, but claiming that Sakurai is being unfair because he doesn't do it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding what considerations go into making a playable character.
Lip does not belong in the retro category.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
The Main Theme of Ultimate isn't that good, only the first half is really good. Brawl's and Melee's Themes are above it, and it ties with Smash 4's theme.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
People are putting way too much stock into hazard toggle. People don't understand at a fundamental level what prevents a stage from being good competitively.
Banned stages cannot be chosen at all. Stages can be banned for several reasons, common reasons including but not limited to:

• Especially poor matchup balance by providing a rather extreme advantage for certain characters (such as allowing the character to utilise excessive, gamebreaking camping, or utilise infinite chain throws, as in the case of Fox in Temple for the former, or King Dedede in Shadow Moses Island for the latter).
  • Powerful stage hazards that can easily KO players who are knocked into them, or force players to give up an advantage to avoid them. An extreme example of this is Gamer.
  • Allowing players to abuse glitches in the game.
  • Possessing one or more "caves of life," allowing characters to survive much longer than feasibly possible under usual circumstances, and creating a general over-centralisation on the ability to tech.
  • Possessing permanent walk-off blast lines and walls; the former creates unreasonably powerful camping positions and allow for potential easy zero-deaths that wouldn't occur normally, as well as marginalizing or completely eliminating offstage play, while the latter also creates powerful camping positions and allow for zero-death or otherwise heavily damaging combos that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Walk-offs and walls that occur only temporarily on a stage are considered detrimental, but acceptable enough to usually not result in a stage's banning itself.
  • Drastically altering gameplay and the strategies needed to win (such as Icicle Mountain and Mario Bros.).
  • Possessing elements that causes the stage to be too strenuous on the system's CPU and thus being capable of reducing the game's frame rate mid-match (such as Fountain of Dreams in Doubles play).
I don't think people take into account, matchup balance or "caves of life." There seems to be this notion of well if the stage isn't moving around like Pokefloats or Delfino and there's no walk-off that with hazards turned off we should use that stage. A stage like Saffron City or Peach's Castle have walls people can put there backs against just like surviving by abusing Fire or Rock transformations on Pokemon Stadium. Or Corneria, with the same issue even if you take out the big gun and the arwings.
For reference there will be a pic of La Luna (The Moon) in any area that is super safe where a high % player could easily survive a hit bc of ceilings/walls the stage has.
hyrule castle 64.jpg
peach's castle.jpg
saffron city.jpg
spear pillar.jpg
corneria.jpg
Duck Hunt.jpg
A LOT of people want a large stage list for competitive play (as in 20ish stages) and I think it's a horrible idea. I think people don't understand how advantageous a stage is in match-ups and that by giving players a ton of stages to choose from (or even worse using a randomizer) you will take away from a fair competitive stage list.
Character advantages would be so prominent with a large stage list any remotely competitive set would just come down to game 1 BC the counter-picks would be too strong and there would be no way around them. Look at Melee and a lot of MU's have a clear definition of which stages are good and which ones aren't. Imagine Melee Marth vs Melee Fox and you give Marth FD, frozen PS, & frozen Kalos. You could see similar MU benefits incredibly exploited. You just don't give yourself a way out at all. BC you aren't taking the best stages or the best variety of stages you are just cramming in as much as you can and there's no deeper logic to it. Viewers I'm sure would enjoy not seeing smashville again and again but it would hurt the players, hurt the game, hurt the competitive scene. There's literally no benefit to a large stage list other than oh variety is fun and if the community gets behind a large stage list they will regret it.
But that's just my opinon.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think goemon from the ganbare goemon series is a better second konami rep then simon belmont.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I have a few.

1) I have no issue with 3rd parties in Smash, I think it is interesting to have a few odd men out so to speak. I just ask they be good characters, from good franchises. You know, franchises not associated with disaster. With game after game being another broken, glitch infested abomination, chain rebooting as the failures pile up into a mountain disappointment eclipsed only by the fanaticism of the fans introduced at a young enough age to not fully comprehend the sight before them. My point is I want Sonic out of Smash, and if he comes back, he better earn a spot. I'll take Billy Hatcher over him at this point if SEGA must show up in some way.

2) I honestly dont understand the issue with Waluigi being an assist trophy. Given the closest he has been to a main series Mario game is a reference to how little his clothing is used in Super Mario Odyssey, I think his current role befits him.

3) I hope All Star mode doesn't come back. We have 65 characters. 65.

4 I want Nintendo to keep Minecraft away from Smash in all forms. The distance between the two should be enough to fit the entirety of the Marvel universe.

5) I would like a Blizzard character in Smash. I know it is about as likely as Miyamoto being asked to work on the next God of War, but I still feel out of every fighting game Blizzard could show a murloc into, Smash is the best.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Some stage opinions:

- While I have good memories of it, Poké Floats is pretty awful. I do hope it comes back though. It's the only Pokémon stage missing so far.
- I only want Brinstar Depths back to see Kraid in HD.
- Melee's Yoshi's Island is my least favorite stage to date.
- Corneria on the other hand is my favorite stage of all time (don't think this is an unpopular opinion tho).
- I prefer Flat Zone 1 over Flat Zone 2/X, simply because it doesn't have fixed camera.
- I hope Hanenbow comes back in Ultimate, because I like the visuals and atmospheric sounds. Only going to play it in Battlefield mode.
- Even though the stage is a complete mess, I hope Pyrosphere comes back. Stage hazard toggle should give the stage a second chance.
- Paper Mario is the most heartbreaking stage for me. The S.S. Flavion part is so much fun, but the rest just isn't.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi shouldn't be a playable character and thus only remain as an Assist Trophy.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
-Being able to turn off stage hazards is cool, but people got way too excited when it was revealed that all stages have Battlefield forms.
-Ashley is a boring newcomer.
-Ridley was an amazing newcomer pick, but he really does look weird scaled down. Still wanted him, though.
-People are sleeping on a Rhythm Heaven newcomer HARD. I don't see one on enough prediction rosters.
-Most of the choices for echoes are super random or unnecessary. Having too much clogs up the roster, not pads it.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just a quick unpopular opinion: Out of all the Pokemon used by the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, they honestly chose the worst one to bring back to Smash 4. Charizard is a boring as hell character, and I would've much preferred for them to give us just Squirtle or Ivysaur.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I dont want sora in smash. For the most part I'm either really meh or really excited for new characters, but I really disike kingdom hearts (which in itself is a pretty unpopular opinion tbh) and I don't really want any of it in smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have a few.

1) I have no issue with 3rd parties in Smash, I think it is interesting to have a few odd men out so to speak. I just ask they be good characters, from good franchises. You know, franchises not associated with disaster. With game after game being another broken, glitch infested abomination, chain rebooting as the failures pile up into a mountain disappointment eclipsed only by the fanaticism of the fans introduced at a young enough age to not fully comprehend the sight before them. My point is I want Sonic out of Smash, and if he comes back, he better earn a spot. I'll take Billy Hatcher over him at this point if SEGA must show up in some way.

2) I honestly dont understand the issue with Waluigi being an as5sist trophy. Given the closest he has been to a main series Mario game is a reference to how little his clothing is used in Super Mario Odyssey, I think his current role befits him.

3) I hope All Star mode doesn't come back. We have 65 characters. 65.

4 I want Nintendo to keep Minecraft away from Smash in all forms. The distance between the two should be enough to fit the entirety of the Marvel universe.

5) I would like a Blizzard character in Smash. I know it is about as likely as Miyamoto being asked to work on the next God of War, but I still feel out of every fighting game Blizzard could show a murloc into, Smash is the best.
Wait, you want a character's fans suffer just because his owners can't make good games for him for a while? And how Pac-Man is any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom