• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't see the point in playing Smash Bros one-on-one in flat levels without platforms, stage hazards, or items.

There are tons of fighting games that already have this setup. If you want to go play Street Fighter, just go play Street Fighter. Let Smash be the wild crazy off the wall game that it's supposed to be.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
While we're on the topic of Corrin, here's my unpopular opinion:

I absolutely despise flavor of the month picks, and think they should absolutely stay away from Smash until they've proven themselves as being viable, popular choices. Corrin's the most egregious case of this, snatching one of Smash 4's precious DLC slots just for the sake of advertising a Fire Emblem game that nobody likes and almost nobody remembers. Rosalina's another case of this; she was the most "relevant" and current main-series Mario character that wasn't already represented, so that apparently meant she had to be in Smash, even if it meant misrepresenting her to hell and back and basically just making a bunch of **** up for her moveset (kind of like people are suggesting be done to a certain other recently recurring main-series Mario character...). Hell, even Cloud was arguably thrown in to advertise a remake that still isn't out yet. My main issue with such short-sightedness when it comes to roster-building is that we have no way of knowing if these new characters who are popular now are gonna be in the same spot, say, five years from now when the next Smash rolls around. Just two years after their reveal, Corrin and his game have largely left the public eye, so if he does return for Smash 5, he'll frankly be out of place. Rosalina, the character whose "abilities" were stretched so far and her devotion to her beloved Lumas erased in favor of the Rosalina who farts out galaxies for sport and sends her now disposable children into battle, failed to even make an appearance in the most recent main-series Mario game. And I needn't go any further about the unfortunate state of the FF7 remake.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying we need to limit the newcomers of each Smash game to just the old guys, but I'm simply suggesting we give the new/current guys some time to build a unique image for themselves before just giving them the Greninja treatment and calling it a day. And we, as speculators, need to stop holding so-called "relevancy" on a pedestal as if it absolves a character of any potential faults that could get in the way of their inclusion - lack of uniqueness, history, especially moveset potential, etc. I'm seeing this happen with so many characters people talk about these days: Dixie Kong, who has much less room for a unique moveset than King K. Rool, the most requested first-party character right now; a BOTW newcomer, who would no doubt be dated and irrelevant by next game and wouldn't have the lasting popularity to make up for it; Captain Toad, who can't jump and has no unique moves in his own game; the list goes on, even beyond first-party characters. Believe it or not, in most cases, a character does need things like unique moveset potential and a suitable fighting build to get into Smash - if it didn't, then we'd have a whole entourage of newcomers being given the R.O.B. treatment every game, which would just be ridiculous - and pure relevancy/currency isn't gonna push a candidate through the gate in spite of these issues, especially if they have substantial competition. Sakurai doesn't usually make exceptions for this (such moveset asspulling is ostensibly reserved for solo-reps like R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Villager), which is something I hope remains constant in this upcoming Smash game.

My point is, novelty wears off quick, and when you get right down to it, novelty is usually all these flavor of the month picks have. It's why I think people are massively overrating characters like Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, and anyone from BOTW. When you consider anything but novelty, there are way better, not to mention more likely choices for newcomers within their own series; characters with more appearances under their belts, characters that are more unique, characters with more moveset potential, etc. If irrelevant, yet nonetheless popular characters continue to be ignored in favor of just whoever's appeared in the most recent games, then Smash will quickly turn into a blanket advertisement for new first-party titles, with each roster being filled with then-current characters that will be forgotten by the next and once-paramount tenants like overall importance and moveset potential hardly being given a second's thought. And I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want that for Smash.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

I absolutely despise flavor of the month picks, and think they should absolutely stay away from Smash until they've proven themselves as being viable, popular choices. Corrin's the most egregious case of this, snatching one of Smash 4's precious DLC slots just for the sake of advertising a Fire Emblem game that nobody likes and almost nobody remembers. Rosalina's another case of this; she was the most "relevant" and current main-series Mario character that wasn't already represented, so that apparently meant she had to be in Smash, even if it meant misrepresenting her to hell and back and basically just making a bunch of **** up for her moveset (kind of like people are suggesting be done to a certain other recently recurring main-series Mario character...). Hell, even Cloud was arguably thrown in to advertise a remake that still isn't out yet. My main issue with such short-sightedness when it comes to roster-building is that we have no way of knowing if these new characters who are popular now are gonna be in the same spot, say, five years from now when the next Smash rolls around. Just two years after their reveal, Corrin and his game have largely left the public eye, so if he does return for Smash 5, he'll frankly be out of place. Rosalina, the character whose "abilities" were stretched so far and her devotion to her beloved Lumas erased in favor of the Rosalina who farts out galaxies for sport and sends her now disposable children into battle, failed to even make an appearance in the most recent main-series Mario game. And I needn't go any further about the unfortunate state of the FF7 remake.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying we need to limit the newcomers of each Smash game to just the old guys, but I'm simply suggesting we give the new/current guys some time to build a unique image for themselves before just giving them the Greninja treatment and calling it a day. And we, as speculators, need to stop holding so-called "relevancy" on a pedestal as if it absolves a character of any potential faults that could get in the way of their inclusion - lack of uniqueness, history, especially moveset potential, etc. I'm seeing this happen with so many characters people talk about these days: Dixie Kong, who has much less room for a unique moveset than King K. Rool, the most requested first-party character right now; a BOTW newcomer, who would no doubt be dated and irrelevant by next game; Captain Toad, who can't jump and has no unique moves in his own game; the list goes on, even beyond first-party characters. Believe it or not, in most cases, a character does need things like unique moveset potential and a suitable fighting build to get into Smash - if it didn't, then we'd have a whole entourage of newcomers being given the R.O.B. treatment every game, which would just be ridiculous - and pure relevancy/currency isn't gonna push a candidate through the gate in spite of these issues, especially if they have substantial competition. Sakurai doesn't usually make exceptions for this (such moveset asspulling is ostensibly reserved for retros like R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, and for some solo-reps like Falcon and Villager), which is something I hope remains constant in this upcoming Smash game.

My point is, novelty wears off quick, and when you get right down to it, novelty is usually all these flavor of the month picks have. It's why I think people are massively overrating characters like Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, and anyone from BOTW. When you consider anything but novelty, there are way better, not to mention more likely choices for newcomers within their own series; characters with more appearances under their belts, characters that are more unique, characters with more moveset potential, etc. If irrelevant, yet nonetheless popular characters continue to be ignored in favor of just whoever's appeared in the most recent games, then Smash will quickly turn into a blanket advertisement for new first-party titles, with each roster being filled with then-current characters that will be forgotten by next game and once-paramount tenants like overall importance and moveset potential hardly being given a second's thought. And I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want that for Smash.
I don't think that Rosalina is a flavor of the month character. She debutted back in 2007 and has been in most Mario spin offs and in 3D World; her failing to appear in the latest main Mario game is hardly any indicator of her becoming irrelevant when there wasn't much of a role for her to play there since Odyssey takes places in Earth. She is still going to appear in Mario Tennis Aces though. To many people she have "proven" herself since she was a very well received addition and your whole explanation just seems to serve to justify your personal bias against her.
And I don't see how she is misrepresented. Her moveset is referential to Galaxy's mechanics, and yes, there is stuff that is made up. Some creative liberties need to be taken. This gripe however I find very hypocritical; Rosalina's moveset is a no-no for being made up but apparently we give a pass to Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Ness, ROB, Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt, Marth, Roy,Pacman, etc. Thank God short sighted people are not in charge of Smash.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Here is in my unpopular opinion: People who argue against the addition of Roy or Corrin as an advertisement for their games and see it as part of Sakurai's personal agenda are clueless about what they are talking about. No matter how in charge the guy is, the man also has to answer to Nintendo who may have interests on it's own. And it's funny how Roy's addition as an ad is ruffling some feathers now but not back then despite being accepted at the time.
People didn't really talk about rosters back then nearly as much as they do now. Whether people were bothered by it back then or not doesn't contradict any of my arguments.

Why was he a secret character? They wanted to give players sometime to unlock. Why did they advertise a game that was only coming out in Japan? This may come as a shocker, but companies advertise to sell things. And what if his game didn't sell that well, what does that have to do with it? The point is that they tried to advertise it to sell enough but that doesn't always succeed. Why are you asking this irrelevant questions? It's because it's a terrible argumentative tactic where the side asking them think that if one goes unanswered, no matter how insignificant it is to the matter at hand, it invalidates the opposing view.
None of your arguments here make sense. When you advertise something, you make it as likely for people to see it as possible. There's a reason you just see advertisements every day without even thinking about it. If you had to install something on your computer to see ads they wouldn't be nearly as effective. If you're going to add a character to advertise a game, why not a game that's selling internationally to get as many sales as possible? And yes, not selling well is a good reason not to think the character is worthwhile when that was literally their only purpose.

And what does Sakurai gain from following an agenda that you and other fellow tin foil hat wearing people claim he has? It's like you people have never seen behind the scenes from movies, TV series and games where a director can get superseded by the corporation he is working for. Examples include Josh Wedon on Age of Ultron and Peter Jackson on the Hobbit. An unpopular opinion doesn't mean it may not be ignorant by default.
Sakurai's gain is that he gets a lot of stuff from his favorite games in Smash. Are you arguing that Nintendo told him "Hey I want you to add as much stuff as possible from Kid Icarus Uprising and Kirby games ONLY YOU directed."

You just seem upset that someone is criticizing characters you like.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet

Now, obviously, I'm not saying we need to limit the newcomers of each Smash game to just the old guys, but I'm simply suggesting we give the new/current guys some time to build a unique image for themselves before just giving them the Greninja treatment and calling it a day. And we, as speculators, need to stop holding so-called "relevancy" on a pedestal as if it absolves a character of any potential faults that could get in the way of their inclusion - lack of uniqueness, history, especially moveset potential, etc. I'm seeing this happen with so many characters people talk about these days: Dixie Kong, who has much less room for a unique moveset than King K. Rool, the most requested first-party character right now; a BOTW newcomer, who would no doubt be dated and irrelevant by next game; Captain Toad, who can't jump and has no unique moves in his own game; the list goes on, even beyond first-party characters. Believe it or not, in most cases, a character does need things like unique moveset potential and a suitable fighting build to get into Smash - if it didn't, then we'd have a whole entourage of newcomers being given the R.O.B. treatment every game, which would just be ridiculous - and pure relevancy/currency isn't gonna push a candidate through the gate in spite of these issues, especially if they have substantial competition. Sakurai doesn't usually make exceptions for this (such moveset asspulling is ostensibly reserved for retros like R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, and for some solo-reps like Falcon and Villager), which is something I hope remains constant in this upcoming Smash game.

My point is, novelty wears off quick, and when you get right down to it, novelty is usually all these flavor of the month picks have. It's why I think people are massively overrating characters like Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, and anyone from BOTW. When you consider anything but novelty, there are way better, not to mention more likely choices for newcomers within their own series; characters with more appearances under their belts, characters that are more unique, characters with more moveset potential, etc. If irrelevant, yet nonetheless popular characters continue to be ignored in favor of just whoever's appeared in the most recent games, then Smash will quickly turn into a blanket advertisement for new first-party titles, with each roster being filled with then-current characters that will be forgotten by the next and once-paramount tenants like overall importance and moveset potential hardly being given a second's thought. And I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want that for Smash.
I’m sorry, but this post doesn’t make sense. You can’t say that characters don’t have a unique moveset just because you can’t think of one or you can’t be bothered on thinking on a moveset for these characters. You can’t say that Dixie King doesn’t have a more unique moveset than King K. Rool just because you can’t think of one. I can’t figure out a moveset for King K. Rool but I’m not going to say that he doesn’t have a unique moveset and that other characters are deserving.

This shows again when you bring up Captain Toad, it’s clear that you didn’t put any thought into what his moveset would be like and just said “can’t jump, doesn’t bring anything unique” that statement just sounds arrogant and lazy. There’s ways to make Captain Toad jump like using the propeller platforms in his games as he manipulates stages or having a UNIQUE backpack weight gimmick which can make him lighter or heavier and making him change his style of play. He can also use moves like the Pickaxe, Minecart, Potted piranha plant, Touchscreen platforms that he can summon and damage his opponents which again stays true to his character as he is manipulating the stages in Smash and using them to his advantage. There’s many moves that he can use. In fact, every video game character has moveset potential it’s just some people can’t think of one while others can.

Now onto the BOTW characters, you say that if they were to be included they would be irrelevant and outdated by the next game, if that’s the case, then why are you pushing for King K. Rool who is irrelevant and dated. The BOTW characters at the moment are more relevant than King K. Rool.

Lastly, your Rosalina statement sounds a bit arrogant as well. Rosalina is a massively popular character, especially in Japan. Sakurai saw potential in her and made a moveset that stays true to her character by using moves based off of Galaxy and using the Lumas who are there to defend her. She didn’t make it into the next mainline Mario game but she continues to make playable appearances in spin-offs and is still a very popular character.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People didn't really talk about rosters back then nearly as much as they do now. Whether people were bothered by it back then or not doesn't contradict any of my arguments.
Never said it contradicts anything, but that it was funny. Still think it is.

None of your arguments here make sense. When you advertise something, you make it as likely for people to see it as possible. There's a reason you just see advertisements every day without even thinking about it. If you had to install something on your computer to see ads they wouldn't be nearly as effective. If you're going to add a character to advertise a game, why not a game that's selling internationally to get as many sales as possible? And yes, not selling well is a good reason not to think the character is worthwhile when that was literally their only purpose.
But Roy is more than just a function to advertise something. He is playable character and in fighting games is not uncommon to have to unlock them. Roy's presence didn't go unnoticed despite not being on the cover of the game or on the starting roster. He still helped bring notoriety to Fire Emblem.
"If you're going to add a character to advertise a game, why not a game that's selling internationally to get as many sales as possible?"
Which is why Nintendo initially considered having Roy and maybe Marth appear only the japanese version of Melee because of their unknown status in the west, but changed their minds later when in meetings they were told by NoA that they were fun to play as. And it ended up working. Which is why whether he was unlockable or not is not an important matter whatsoever that you are only inquiring to distract from the main point.

And yes, Roy was so not worthwhile that people didn't lament his absence in Brawl and he totally wasn't among the most wanted veterans that incidentally came back in 4.
He may not be popular in his home series but he is overall popular in Smash.

Sakurai's gain is that he gets a lot of stuff from his favorite games in Smash. Are you arguing that Nintendo told him "Hey I want you to add as much stuff as possible from Kid Icarus Uprising and Kirby games ONLY YOU directed."
Ah, and here we are now, threading into conspiracy nut territory and petty assumptions. So Sakurai's whole scheme was to have stuff from games he worked on and liked, and for what purpose? Stick it to you while laughing maniacally on his revolving chair stroking his cat and drinking wine? Your claim of the man doing what he did seems to be founded on pettiness alone.

Kid Icarus got lots of content in terms of enemies and items because he had easier access to their models that were there from Kid Icarus Uprising and much easier to transplant into Smash. It's more of a case of being practical and less of being biased. And I don't need to get into clones because that is a horse that been beaten to death. The Kirby one seems like cherry picking, but hell your whole schtick has been cherry picking. Also, if Nintendo wanted they could tell him to add stuff from this and that.

I'm upset that people speak based on misinformation. You obviously don't understand the behind the scenes of making a video game and your mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that the man lying to you. You do so because if you feel betrayed and cheated, then how can you never be wrong about the opposing party? It gives a feeling of entitlement, that this man just did things out of his own selfish needs while screwing the fans over, for no good reason that he was feeling petty. Everyone has a hidden agenda. People wouldn't making such dumb statements if they informed themselves better and stopped thinking that adding a character they didn't like is an attack on their person.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This has too much criticism, something not allowed. Drop it. Or continue it in PM's. Just not on this thread.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Thanks for getting the thread back on track, Tyrannomon. I was worried this thread would devolve into anarchy if this kept up.
Although I do think I ought be allowed just one response to those who responded to me (especially since I started typing this wall of text an hour ago, and I was about to send it before the post was made... nyeh). I'll comfortably drop it from here on out, but I feel I've been put in a position where I have to defend myself.
I don't think that Rosalina is a flavor of the month character. She debutted back in 2007 and has been in most Mario spin offs and in 3D World; her failing to appear in the latest main Mario game is hardly any indicator of her becoming irrelevant when there wasn't much of a role for her to play there since Odyssey takes places in Earth. She is still going to appear in Mario Tennis Aces though.
When Smash 4's roster was decided, Rosalina's only appearances were her debut in Mario Galaxy, wherein she was an NPC, her playable appearances in Mario Kart Wii and 7, and what might as well have been a cameo in Galaxy 2. So yes, back then, she most certainly was flavor of the month, especially compared to the other Mario characters, who were all long-standing veterans of the main series from the moment they were added save for Dr. Mario. And if we're really counting her presence in the spinoff titles, then whoops, looks like Captain Toad is even less relevant now than Rosalina was in Smash 4's development.
To many people she have "proven" herself since she was a very well received addition and your whole explanation just seems to serve to justify your personal bias against her.
How well a character is received once added to the official roster, i.e. what you're talking about, is completely different from how realizable and popular a character is prior to being added, i.e. what I'm talking about. Just because Cloud was widely considered a "hype" addition to the cast when he was added doesn't mean anyone thought he was a viable candidate before then; quite the contrary, most people didn't. Most characters that are added to Smash, even if unpopular during the speculation period, usually become popular simply by virtue of being in Smash. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
And I don't see how she is misrepresented. Her moveset is referential to Galaxy's mechanics, and yes, there is stuff that is made up. Some creative liberties need to be taken.
While it is true that some creative liberties do inevitably need to be taken for most characters to be added to Smash, the issue I have is when entire movesets are being pulled out of asses just for the sake of adding the next big character from a series, i.e. Rosalina. Just because her moveset references the mechanics of her debut title doesn't mean it isn't an asspull.
This gripe however I find very hypocritical; Rosalina's moveset is a no-no for being made up but apparently we give a pass to Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Ness, ROB, Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt, Marth, Roy,Pacman, etc.
I like how you assume I don't have a problem with any of those characters, despite me hardly even mentioning any of them. But for the sake of entertaining the argument, let's assume I do explicitly not have a problem with any of those characters. The problem is, with the exception of Falco and Roy, who were last-minute clones, all of these characters were solo-reps at the time they were added. In fact, many of them still are. If you expect a character to represent an entire series by themselves, you're going to need to stretch their abilities to accomplish that. The issue with Rosalina is that she doesn't represent the entire Mario series by herself; she barely represents one game, which was not begging for an entire character to represent it.
Thank God short sighted people are not in charge of Smash.
No comment.
I’m sorry, but this post doesn’t make sense. You can’t say that characters don’t have a unique moveset just because you can’t think of one or you can’t be bothered on thinking on a moveset for these characters. You can’t say that Dixie King doesn’t have a more unique moveset than King K. Rool just because you can’t think of one. I can’t figure out a moveset for King K. Rool but I’m not going to say that he doesn’t have a unique moveset and that other characters are deserving.
If you recall, I said that K. Rool has more room for a unique moveset than Dixie does. I never said that Dixie does not or can not have a unique moveset. It would simply be easier, more unique, and, frankly, more interesting to draft out a moveset for the big green kroc.
This shows again when you bring up Captain Toad, it’s clear that you didn’t put any thought into what his moveset would be like and just said “can’t jump, doesn’t bring anything unique” that statement just sounds arrogant and lazy. There’s ways to make Captain Toad jump like using the propeller platforms in his games as he manipulates stages or having a UNIQUE backpack weight gimmick which can make him lighter or heavier and making him change his style of play. He can also use moves like the Pickaxe, Minecart, Potted piranha plant, Touchscreen platforms that he can summon and damage his opponents which again stays true to his character as he is manipulating the stages in Smash and using them to his advantage. There’s many moves that he can use. In fact, every video game character has moveset potential it’s just some people can’t think of one while others can.
Perhaps I am biased against Captain Toad - I'm willing to admit that much. However, the problem I have with him over just about any other Mario character is about the same as the problem I have with Dixie over K. Rool, but to a much greater extent. Working around his inability to jump, first of all, would be awkward to say the least; you'd either have to betray the idea completely by allowing him to jump freely, which would be a blatant misrepresentation of one of the most unique and recognizable aspects of his character, make him spawn a platform every single time he wants to jump, which is just obtuse and seems more trouble than it'd be worth from a conceptual and developmental standpoint, or do something that allows him to take some weight from his backpack somehow, which might be interesting, but still wouldn't solve the issue completely. And even ignoring that, Captain Toad doesn't exhibit any unique abilities even in his own game; sure, he can use the Pickaxe, but anyone can pick up and swing a Pickaxe (kind of like they do with the Hammer item, which is functionally identical to the Pickaxe). If Mario found the same Pickaxe in one of his games, we wouldn't be clamoring for him to be using it in Smash because the man has better options. The fact that Captain Toad does not speaks volumes to the moveset potential that apparently "every video game character", including him, has. Similarly, anyone can hop in a minecart, or hold a potted Piranha Plant (something everyone in SM3DW and MK8D have also done), and either way, these options hardly open the gate for anything truly unique. These are item ideas, not fleshed-out movesets. Just because Sakurai can make any character work doesn't mean he should.
Now onto the BOTW characters, you say that if they were to be included they would be irrelevant and outdated by the next game, if that’s the case, then why are you pushing for King K. Rool who is irrelevant and dated. The BOTW characters at the moment are more relevant than King K. Rool.
This one's quite easy to respond to, and admittedly, I probably should've included this in my original post. What K. Rool has that the BOTW characters most certainly will not in a couple years is lasting popularity. The new characters in BOTW that people talk about most often, the champions, are one-offs, plain and simply, and if they don't make it into this next Smash game, fan pull for them will be minimal for the next one. Meanwhile, K. Rool has been among the most commonly requested first-party characters for over a decade now, despite being almost entirely MIA during that period. Even ignoring things like moveset potential, that's hardly a straight equivalence there.
Lastly, your Rosalina statement sounds a bit arrogant as well. Rosalina is a massively popular character, especially in Japan. Sakurai saw potential in her and made a moveset that stays true to her character by using moves based off of Galaxy and using the Lumas who are there to defend her. She didn’t make it into the next mainline Mario game but she continues to make playable appearances in spin-offs and is still a very popular character.
Honestly, see my response to Ryu Myuutsu. The only thing I have to add here is that Rosalina sending her precious children to fight for her is hardly an accurate depiction of her character in the Mario series. If anything, she would be fighting for them.

And with that, I'm done.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ze Diglett Ze Diglett Just respond via PM"s then erase the current message. It sucks to lose a lot of hard work you put into. It just doesn't belong on this thread, but there's no reason it shouldn't be said(as long as it's appropriate).

BrazenBunnies

Smash Cadet
I don't think Zelda will be playable, instead she will be Link's final smash.

I hope that the champions get in.

I want Odyssey Mario.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
I honestly expect the game to be very similar to smash 4, I'm sure there will be new content and balancing changes, but I think it's the game Nintendo is most happy with since it managed to have a competitive scene without being as technical melee. I'm mostly hoping for a new sub space emissary style story mode.

Last edited:

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet
  • I doubt there will be any cuts in Smash 5.
  • Clones are cool as long as they have quite a few noticeable differences (like Dr. Mario in Smash 4).
  • Funky Kong wouldn't be an interesting character. He'd probably just be DK but with a surfboard.
  • I don't see the appeal for Daisy at all. I don't even see what she would offer to the game as a character.
  • I find reused sounds to be extremely lazy, such as the reused victory themes and most of the voice clips for the veterans being reused from Brawl in Smash 4. To me, it makes the game feel less fresh and new.
  • Too many stages in Smash Wii U look the same. For example, there are way too many stages that are "grassland with blue sky". I felt that Smash 3DS had better stages in terms of variety.
  • Speaking of stages, I don't like how in Smash 4 the old stages are lumped in with the new stages. And some of the stages they brought back were odd, like Mario Circuit (Brawl). I mean, it's a fine stage, but what's the point? It feels and looks dated. It's strange how it didn't even receive an HD makeover like other stages did.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And yes, Roy was so not worthwhile that people didn't lament his absence in Brawl and he totally wasn't among the most wanted veterans that incidentally came back in 4.
He may not be popular in his home series but he is overall popular in Smash.
I sincerely doubt that.

Here’s an unpopular opinion from myself: Roy, Lucas, Wolf, ICies and Pichu aren’t popular characters, even within the Smash fanbase. Very few people cared when they were cut. Lucas and Roy were only brought back because Sakurai wanted a Melee vet and a Brawl vet as DLC, and not because of fan demand.

The only cuts people actually cared about were the other Pokémon and maybe Snake. Ivysaur is only tangentially, people would much rather have Bulbasuar or Venasuar.

Chiliastic

Smash Rookie
Lucina should be taken out of the game, but if she isn't, she should be decloned.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Remove all characters and replace the roster with clones of the original twelve.
Mario --> Dr. Mario
Luigi --> Paper Luigi
Donkey Kong --> Funky Kong
Link --> Young Link
Samus --> Fighting Polygon
Captain Falcon --> Ganondorf
Ness --> Ninten
Yoshi --> Yarn Yoshi
Kirby --> Meta Knight
Fox --> Falco
Pikachu --> Pichu
Jigglypuff --> King Dedede (I'm running out of ideas)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remove all characters and replace the roster with clones of the original twelve.
Mario --> Dr. Mario
Luigi --> Paper Luigi
Donkey Kong --> Funky Kong
Link --> Young Link
Samus --> Fighting Polygon
Captain Falcon --> Ganondorf
Ness --> Ninten
Yoshi --> Yarn Yoshi
Kirby --> Meta Knight
Fox --> Falco
Pikachu --> Pichu
Jigglypuff --> King Dedede (I'm running out of ideas)
Turn Jigglypuff into Clefairy?

Also, Paper Mario for Mario and Dr. Mario for Luigi. Dr. Mario had to be retooled with the Luigi Cyclone in 4, so it could make more sense?

You also forgot a practically real one; Young Link > Toon Link. :troll:

BrazenBunnies

Smash Cadet
I know we're not meant to discuss but I think this one may need some further elaboration, so sorry admins but...

Why do you think that? I'm curious.
She just doesn't have any fighting stuff. I don't want a similar thing as we've had with the magic based attacks, they just don't really work. Again, champions would be a much better choice, especially Urbosa and Daruk. Revali might feel more like a Falco clone but either way champions would be just much better than Zelda herself. I also don't want Sheik either because she's kind of just a ninja, which doesn't really make too much sense considering she mainly just played songs in OOT.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
Wanted to share some (maybe) unpopular opinions of mine:

- Fire Emblem is a popular franchise that's still growing, it would make sense if it got more reps
- Lucina should remain in smash either as her own character or a costume for Chrom
- Incineroar is the best option for a new Pokemon rep
- I want a character from a "weeb" game, think Touhou or Senran Kagura
- Clone characters deserve more appreciation
- I love the idea of having Little Mac in smash but I hate how he was designed
- Sheik should be able to use the eightfold blade from BOTW and a harp(I think that's what it is)
- Indie characters shouldn't be included
- Leon Kennedy would be a great addition to pander to more potential older fans
- Luigi needs his old final smash
- I would prefer another FE GBA rep be chosen over Roy
- I think jab-lock combos should be more featured by Nintendo since casual players still watch competitive play and they're REALLY stylish imo
-Smash is first and foremost a party game and should be treated as such when it comes to character/stage inclusions

The last one is probably not unpopular but I did my best.
EDIT: To clarify on the Lucina thing I'm speaking on the assumption that she does get de-cloned. If not she should still have her own slot on the roster

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Wanted to share some (maybe) unpopular opinions of mine:

- Fire Emblem is a popular franchise that's still growing, it would make sense if it got more reps
- Lucina should remain in smash either as her own character or a costume for Chrom
- Incineroar is the best option for a new Pokemon rep
- I want a character from a "weeb" game, think Touhou or Senran Kagura
- Clone characters deserve more appreciation
- I love the idea of having Little Mac in smash but I hate how he was designed
- Sheik should be able to use the eightfold blade from BOTW and a harp(I think that's what it is)
- Indie characters shouldn't be included
- Leon Kennedy would be a great addition to pander to more potential older fans
- Luigi needs his old final smash
- I would prefer another FE GBA rep be chosen over Roy
- I think jab-lock combos should be more featured by Nintendo since casual players still watch competitive play and they're REALLY stylish imo
-Smash is first and foremost a party game and should be treated as such when it comes to character/stage inclusions

The last one is probably not unpopular but I did my best.
EDIT: To clarify on the Lucina thing I'm speaking on the assumption that she does get de-cloned. If not she should still have her own slot on the roster
I'm

Ok, this isn't me disagreeing so it should be fine, but I think Luigi's brawl final smash should come back, but not for Luigi. I think if Waluigi gets in, Negative Zone or some variant of it would make for a fitting final smash.

jaco!

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why people want King K. Rool & Ridley so much.
They would be heavyweight fighters.
Heavyweight fighters just aren't that fun to play as...

BrazenBunnies

Smash Cadet
Also, STORY MODE!!! I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I LOVED the subspace emissary, and I hope a similar thing returns, maybe even with voice acting?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, STORY MODE!!! I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I LOVED the subspace emissary, and I hope a similar thing returns, maybe even with voice acting?
I think it's a popular idea but people don't think it's realistic to want another one, since how time consuming it was. I loved it too but I don't know if it needs voice acting. Subspace Emissary was able to tell a good story without any vocal dialogue and it'd hard to record so many different voice lines. There is a reason Smash always circulates voice clips.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Ganondorf will remain largely unchanged. Mario, Zelda, and Link will have the same movesets. There will not be nearly as many newcomers as people are expecting.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I’d like a new story mode if it featured more stages and ennemies from Nintendo games. Wasn’t DK the only universe that was actually represented faithfully?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’d like a new story mode if it featured more stages and ennemies from Nintendo games. Wasn’t DK the only universe that was actually represented faithfully?
Isn't all World of Trophies is original? Like where Smash Run takes place? It's not really practical designing whole side scrolling zones using pre-existing places when you can use the time to turn them into stages, where people will play the game most.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
People singling Corrin as being a “flavor of the month” never made sense to me. What makes them different from literally any other FE character in Smash?

All of them are “irrelevant” in Fire Emblem outside of spin-offs. What makes Corrin any different?

Troykv

Smash Master
People singling Corrin as being a “flavor of the month” never made sense to me. What makes them different from literally any other FE character in Smash?

All of them are “irrelevant” in Fire Emblem outside of spin-offs. What makes Corrin any different?
I think is the fact they was selected as a DLC, where the other characters (even Bayonetta) already had some legacy in Smash or Gaming (or in Mewtwo's case, both).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Flavor of the month is really just a catch all term for characters they don't like.

When people call MOTHER****ING CLOUD a flavor of the month, it just makes me assume you're an idiot.

As for other characters...

Characters like Corrin, Greninja and Roy have shown to have marketing power years later.

They aren't flavor of the months. Not anymore.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Flavor of the month is really just a catch all term for characters they don't like.

When people call MOTHER****ING CLOUD a flavor of the month, it just makes me assume you're an idiot.

As for other characters...

Characters like Corrin, Greninja and Roy have shown to have marketing power years later.

They aren't flavor of the months. Not anymore.
Not necessarily. Flavor of the month is a term for characters added solely for their currency/relevancy, usually despite anything that would otherwise get in the way of their inclusion and in spite of other and, in most cases, better-suited candidates being available within their series. In this way, Corrin was absolutely added as a flavor of the month pick, and considering how mixed at best his reception in Smash was, not to mention how divisive the game he was added to advertise ended up being, I wouldn't exactly say it paid dividends. Writing off people who apply this description to characters who deserve it as idiots and writing off the term itself as "just a catch all term for characters they don't like" doesn't exactly give off the impression that you know what you're talking about.

That said, I can see how you might disagree on Cloud. We have no confirmation that he was added to advertise the remake, although at the time he was added, the timing seemed to line up a bit too perfectly for me. (Of course, this was back when we still thought that game was gonna see a release in a timely manner.) Cloud's reveal was a confusing time for all of us.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Flavor of the month is a term for characters added solely for their currency/relevancy, usually despite their flaws and in spite of other and, in most cases, better candidates being available within their series. In this way, Corrin was absolutely added as a flavor of the month pick, and considering how mixed at best his reception in Smash was, not to mention how divisive the game he was added to advertise ended up being, I wouldn't exactly say it paid dividends. Writing off people who apply this description to characters who deserve it as idiots and writing off the term itself as "just a catch all term for characters they don't like" doesn't exactly give off the impression that you know what it means.

That said, I can see how you might disagree on Cloud. We have no confirmation that he was added to advertise the remake, although at the time he was added, the timing seemed to line up a bit too well for me. (Of course, this was back when we still thought that game was gonna see a release in a timely manner.) Cloud's reveal was a confusing time for all of us.
Absolutely spot on here.

Although I wouldn't mind Corrin sticking around.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Writing off people who apply this description to characters who deserve it as idiots doesn't exactly make you look good, just so you know.
I said that for people who think that way about Cloud. Not the others. Cloud was specifically stated to be the most popular Final Fantasy request. That's popular request. Evidence of the exact opposite of a flavor of the month.

I understand why one might say that for the others.

But saying that for Cloud shows idiocy, denial of facts or supreme ignorance. Take your pick.

riting off people who apply this description to characters who deserve it as idiots and writing off the term itself as "just a catch all term for characters they don't like" doesn't exactly give off the impression that you know what you're talking about.
I know what it's supposed to mean, thank you very much. But when I see it misused, and by people who seem to ignore anything after 2015, I start not to care.

Moreover, people don't give two ****s if other characters were added as flavors of the month. They choose who applies. Not based on history. You want the reason why? It's cause they like them. Plain and simple.

All that said, we aren't supposed to debate here.

Especially if its a badly put together argument reliant on opinions that go against general consensus (News Flash, Fates and Corrin aren't unpopular, they top polls all the time). Corrin being popular is something we have hard proof about.

Regardless, not here.

Last edited:

Kusari

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1135-2426-1777
If we can have more pokemon in pokeballs that'd be sick. Even though this doesn't seem like an unpopular opinion I wish Pichu came back IN A POKEBALL.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't find Slippy, Captain Toad or Tingle annoying and I think the vocal hatebases for these characters who whine about their voices being annoying are easily a hundred fold more annoying than a singular character could ever be.

Conversely characters that try to be too 'cool' annoy the hell out of me. Give me a clumsy but determined expressionate character with a vibrant personality over a stoic one who defeats the enemy in one hit without breaking a sweat but has the personality of a lump of dry wood any day of the week.

Roberk

Smash Champion
IMO, all of the FE characters except Marth are flavor of the month. Roy was used to promote his new game. Ike was added because PoR was released in 2005 and Brawl started development in 2005. Same thing with Robin and Lucina, but in 2012. Corrin was added to promote Fates. The general theme around all FE newcomers except Marth is that they are related to Smash's start of development or release. Start of development just using the most recent character. Near release to promote the new game. It's not about them having relevance now, it's about when they had relevance that got them into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom