• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm of the rather unpopular opinion that neither Chrom or Roy are better then each other. It all comes down to personal preference tbh, and the reason Chrom is seeing so much play is because he's easier to use then Roy rather then him being flat-out better then Roy.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This is probably less of an opinion, and more of an observation, but I feel like people tend to be very dismissive about all the arguments/points towards a character's potential inclusion if it's not someone they actively want themselves. Mind you, I'm guilty of that myself, but I tend to notice that a lot towards my own most wanted.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
This is probably less of an opinion, and more of an observation, but I feel like people tend to very dismissive about all the arguments/points towards a character's potential inclusion if it's not someone they actively want themselves. Mind you, I'm guilty of that myself, but I tend to notice that a lot towards my own most wanted.
Oh we know. Everyone here is guilty of it.

There's some characters I'd pay to not have included in the game personally but that's from a selfish perspective.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is probably less of an opinion, and more of an observation, but I feel like people tend to be very dismissive about all the arguments/points towards a character's potential inclusion if it's not someone they actively want themselves. Mind you, I'm guilty of that myself, but I tend to notice that a lot towards my own most wanted.
You nailed it, really. Everyone, including myself, has reservations against certain characters becoming fighters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A minor one regarding Ashley;

I have no idea why after Waluigi, Wario's most famous partner the world over, being revealed to be an assist that Ashley was considered quite as likely to be playable as she was.
I know she's popular in Japan and that Waluigi and Ashley are from different series that Wario appears in, but I'd still expect Waluigi to be made playable before Ashley was.
Because Ashley was actually in a Wario game.

D

Deleted member

Honestly this was one of the big things against Incineroar before his inclusion. While I don't particularly care for him (I appreciate the amount of personality Sakurai shoved into him, however) most of the arguments against his likeliness were "I don't like him"

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This shouldn't be an unpopular opinion cos it's the truth: Crocodile Cacophony is probably the best remix Smash has ever had
Pfft you haven't heard the credits from Kirby's Dream Land remix. That's a song to party to.

(But in all honesty CC is just as good if not better than GPG)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Because Ashley was actually in a Wario game.
But why was she seen as likely or more likely than the infinitely more famous Waluigi just because of that?

Waluigi's still considered Wario's most famous partner and closest associated individual despite not appearing in Wario games. If Birdo, Yoshi's equivalent to Waluigi in terms of series association got rejected I wouldn't feel massively confident about Poochy getting in either just because he's more of a 'true' Yoshi character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isabelle is a very lazy addition. She's basically Villager but with a fishing rod, a small height difference, a different rocket thingy and that's basically it. She feels less unique than characters like Young Link, Pichu, Dr.Mario and even Ken. She might as well have been a Echo Fighter honestly.

Even Lucina and Chrom, straight up Echoes, have a totally different feel to them compared to Marth and Roy.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Isabelle is a very lazy addition. She's basically Villager but with a fishing rod, a small height difference, a different rocket thingy and that's basically it. She feels less unique than characters like Young Link, Pichu, Dr.Mario and even Ken. She might as well have been a Echo Fighter honestly.

Even Lucina and Chrom, straight up Echoes, have a totally different feel to them compared to Marth and Roy.
Couldn't be more true.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Honestly, I disagree heavily.

I'd argue they have completely different styles.

Villager is a pure defensive zoner while Isabelle is a mind games oriented trapper. There's a reason why she's a noob killer and Villager isn't.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

You'll never convince me Isabelle wasn't a corporate-influenced pick, because of all Assist Trophies she was one in zero need of promotion and makes no sense as a fighter.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
This isn’t an unpopular opinion but more or less an observation.

-I think the reason characters like Isabelle and Incineroar get hated by the hardcore Smash side is not because of their “recency/promotion” but because they’re from pre-existing series.

Think about it, was there ever a single person who got angry at the Inkling’s reveal and inclusion?

No, because Splatoon is a brand new series brought entirely to Smash and that excites people, as someone who primarily supports “hardcore” picks like Banjo and Isaac, Spring-Man was one of my wanted because of ARMS being a new series that fitted Smash perfectly.

So it was actually really disappointing that he ended up an AT instead of the DLC shoe-in most people thought he would be.

So I don’t think modern characters get hate for being recent unless they’re from a franchise like Mario or Zelda, it’s almost like the equivalent of adding Linkle from Hyrule Warriors or a Sprixie Fairy from 3D World over long time recurring characters like Shadow or Waluigi , it’s not really gonna excite most people unless it’s a whole new IP otherwise.

Now here’s an actual unpopular opinion:

-When Isabelle got revealed, I didn’t actually hate because I knew she had supporters, was a loved character among the Nintendo public and there’s still a couple of more newcomers left....atleast so we thought before the infamous Box/Grinch wars.

But now that the November Direct confirmed the Box Theory with Incineroar being the last base character....it kinda does disappoint me that Isabelle was prioritized in a line-up of limited newcomers over several AT characters that have been campaigned promotions for a long time.

Now I’m not gonna say she isn’t popular but her detractors do have a point, she’s not completely unique, she’s just a Villager semi-clone with only a fishing rod, different normal attacks, and a Gyroid rocket to make her stand out.

So at the risk of getting flamed....her inclusion is almost kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Watch Isabelle become the new Wolf, lmao

KatKit

Smash Lord
Pound for pound, Ultimate has the best single player content in any Smash game. Hours upon hours of stuff to do. Even without Break the Targets, trophies, the game demo things, stage builder, etc.

World of Light is the best adventure mode with the most content and replayability

Best challenge board

Ultimate has the best Classic Mode, hands down

Spirits are neat, albeit gimmicky

It relies on its core gameplay and yet it still manages to showcase and celebrate Nintendo's history perfectly.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
prioritized in a line-up of limited newcomers over several AT characters that have been campaigned promotions for a long time.
With how cloney she is and how many Isabelle glitches were discovered, I can see her being added really late in development, after they decided they didn't have time to make unique fighters out of several fan requests.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly, I disagree heavily.

I'd argue they have completely different styles.

Villager is a pure defensive zoner while Isabelle is a mind games oriented trapper. There's a reason why she's a noob killer and Villager isn't.
It doesn't help that over half of Isabelle's moves are copy/pasted from villager's or at lest based off of them. She's kind of like how Roy is to Marth or how Falco is to Fox.

Although I hate using such terms, AC didn't really....."need" another fighter. The series was represented fine, and like Yoshi didn't have that many characters in the running to be a newcomer. She would have done a better job as the second AC fighter by simply being an echo of Villager, as evidenced by the fact that the majority of her moveset was obviously taken from Villager.

She was obviously picked over the other AT's as a promotion, it's not a coincidence that she was revealed next to AC 2019. And although yes she had supporters, she didn't have nearly as many as several AT's that I think we can all agree would have been received with more hype. To top it off she was squished in a very limited lineup of newcomers. The dev team was clearly trying to pick the best newcomers as possible and Isabelle (and Incineroar as well IMO, although that's topic for another discussion) are clearly the promotional elephants in the room when lined up against the other newcomers we got.

With how cloney she is and how many Isabelle glitches were discovered, I can see her being added really late in development, after they decided they didn't have time to make unique fighters out of several fan requests.
You raise a good point. Isabelle was the only non-echo newcomer to have a moveset taken from another fighter. I bet she was similar to Chrom and decided late enough into the game's develop that they didn't have the resources to put much effort into her.

TL;DR: Isabelle was a promotional newcomer, with way more popular characters from the same position as her that didn't end up being fighters, and over half of her moveset is already seen in another fighter. In my opinion, she was the biggest non-echo disappointment of a newcomer and I

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Here's a hot take
Isabelle earned her spot over K Rool. Comparing the two, you have a new addition that became the mascot of her series, appearing in every promotional material that the series has nowadays, even to the point where she got to be a racer in Mario Kart. On the other hand, we have a classic villain whose series had moved away from him entirely to the point that Nintendo needed to be reminded by a ballot that he existed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's a hot take
Isabelle earned her spot over K Rool. Comparing the two, you have a new addition that became the mascot of her series, appearing in every promotional material that the series has nowadays, even to the point where she got to be a racer in Mario Kart. On the other hand, we have a classic villain whose series had moved away from him entirely to the point that Nintendo needed to be reminded by a ballot that he existed.
Given that both of them are major characters in their series, even if DKC has drifted away from K. Rool, I believe both earned their spot. While Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei compared Isabelle to Wolf, I actually think she's more like ROB: A controversial character whose controversy ignores their importance.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ROB: A controversial character whose controversy ignores their importance.
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Nah fam.

Isabelle's "controversy" isn't remotely close to what R.O.B. had to face after Brawl.

In general people like Isabelle and liked her from the get go.

R.O.B. literally took years.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Watch Isabelle become the new Wolf, lmao
You mean how people hated them pre-launch and shortly on post-launch based on their poor judgment?

...You are probably right.

Stay tough Isabelle players. People will hate on ya no matter how much of a fanbase you have. Wolf, Lucario, and ROB got the heat for Brawl despite the first two being highly requested characters at the time.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You mean how people hated them pre-launch and shortly on post-launch based on their poor judgment?

...You are probably right.

Stay tough Isabelle players. People will hate on ya no matter how much of a fanbase you have. Wolf, Lucario, and ROB got the heat for Brawl despite the first two being highly requested characters at the time.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I never understood R.O.B’s hate in the Brawl days, I thought he was a smart choice considering they played a vital role in Subspace and the Ancient Minister was revealed to be one.

In a way, he was a lock the whole time that went past people’s expectations, or maybe since I was a kid at time, I didn’t care about speculation.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I never understood R.O.B’s hate in the Brawl days, I thought he was a smart choice considering they played a vital role in Subspace and the Ancient Minister was revealed to be one.

In a way, he was a lock the whole time that went past people’s expectations, or maybe since I was a kid at time, I didn’t care about speculation.
ROB wasn't Ridley, Mega Man, Geno, Krystal, Isaac, or Mewtwo.
That's it. People also say K. Rool but his demand hadn't really kicked off yet due to Diddy Kong being higher priority. It was only after his reveal that it started to rise.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It doesn't help that over half of Isabelle's moves are copy/pasted from villager's or at lest based off of them. She's kind of like how Roy is to Marth or how Falco is to Fox.

Although I hate using such terms, AC didn't really....."need" another fighter. The series was represented fine, and like Yoshi didn't have that many characters in the running to be a newcomer. She would have done a better job as the second AC fighter by simply being an echo of Villager, as evidenced by the fact that the majority of her moveset was obviously taken from Villager.

She was obviously picked over the other AT's as a promotion, it's not a coincidence that she was revealed next to AC 2019. And although yes she had supporters, she didn't have nearly as many as several AT's that I think we can all agree would have been received with more hype. To top it off she was squished in a very limited lineup of newcomers. The dev team was clearly trying to pick the best newcomers as possible and Isabelle (and Incineroar as well IMO, although that's topic for another discussion) are clearly the promotional elephants in the room when lined up against the other newcomers we got.

You raise a good point. Isabelle was the only non-echo newcomer to have a moveset taken from another fighter. I bet she was similar to Chrom and decided late enough into the game's develop that they didn't have the resources to put much effort into her.

TL;DR: Isabelle was a promotional newcomer, with way more popular characters from the same position as her that didn't end up being fighters, and over half of her moveset is already seen in another fighter. In my opinion, she was the biggest non-echo disappointment of a newcomer and I
Isabelle is legitimately the biggest Nintendo All-Star that wasn't in Smash 4 besides the Inklings. That's pretty much non-negotiable. I'd go as far as to say if she was omitted, she would have been the single biggest and most glaring omission in Smash history.
Look at any marketing material for Animal Crossing (which is more than big enough to "deserve" two characters...hell, I'd go as far as four and I don't even enjoy Animal Crossing) or Nintendo in general and Isabelle is right there, front and center. How can Smash boast having Nintendo's All-Star line-up without a tried and true All-Star? It's at the point where I'd easily say she's on par with the Original 8 in magnitude, to the point I'd even rank her above Fox and possibly Kirby.

There isn't a single Assist Trophy that didn't get promoted that would have made more sense to promote than her.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
That's it. People also say K. Rool but his demand hadn't really kicked off yet due to Diddy Kong being higher priority. It was only after his reveal that it started to rise.
Midna for me, but her ship sail way too far to be playable now. Nowadays whenever a Smash game is coming, I don't really blame characters like Isabelle or even Incineroar at her "chances." Sakurai is really adamant about his choices, so it seems like he doesn't want to take certain characters further (like Waluigi). Ironically, we can expect another FE lord with a 1H/2H sword again. Seems like there chances are guaranteed outside of Lyn.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I already know that especially the :ultridley: &:ultmegaman: salt lol, I just meant on why people never gave him any thought.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I get what you mean but I feel that people forget we had the following newcomers all with a down B counter added in Smash 4: :ultcorrinf::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbayonetta::ultlucina: + :ultroy: if you count him
I feel people forget that one special doesn't make a moveset. And even if you ignore Lucina is a clone and Bayonetta has a pretty unique counter, it's hardly the only shared move.

D

Deleted member

>Dracula's castle wasn't as exciting as i imagined it.
>I don't feel like Sakurai hates to add modern Kirby stuff.
>My favourite stage is Brinstar Depths.

D

Deleted member

>Dracula's castle wasn't as exciting as i imagined it.
>I don't feel like Sakurai hates to add modern Kirby stuff.
>My favourite stage is Brinstar Depths.
Are you me? These are all EXACTLY my opinions
Isabelle is legitimately the biggest Nintendo All-Star that wasn't in Smash 4 besides the Inklings. That's pretty much non-negotiable. I'd go as far as to say if she was omitted, she would have been the single biggest and most glaring omission in Smash history.
Look at any marketing material for Animal Crossing (which is more than big enough to "deserve" two characters...hell, I'd go as far as four and I don't even enjoy Animal Crossing) or Nintendo in general and Isabelle is right there, front and center. How can Smash boast having Nintendo's All-Star line-up without a tried and true All-Star? It's at the point where I'd easily say she's on par with the Original 8 in magnitude, to the point I'd even rank her above Fox and possibly Kirby.

There isn't a single Assist Trophy that didn't get promoted that would have made more sense to promote than her.
People who say that Isabelle shouldn't have gotten in over Geno/Isaac/other obscure character are forgetting just how ****ing HUGE Animal Crossing is.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I feel people forget that one special doesn't make a moveset. And even if you ignore Lucina is a clone and Bayonetta has a pretty unique counter, it's hardly the only shared move.
It doesn't make a moveset but it is rather boring that a lot of newcomers share a defensive move that promotes a certain style. There's always that risk when edgeguarding them or trying to pull off strings.

In Brawl the only newcomers that shared a move in their specials? Ike an Lucario with counter. Arguably Pit and Toon Link with arrows but Pit can control them which makes it different enough.

And if we did some math:

Brawl had four characters that could counter: :ultpeach::ultmarth::ultike::ultlucario: = 4/39 (10.25% of the roster). Two vets and two newcomers.
Smash 4 had the following: :ultbayonetta::ultike::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultcorrinf::ultlittlemac::ultlucina::ultroy::ultmarth::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultshulk::ultmiifighters:(Swordfighter) = 13/58 (22.41%). Five veterans and eight newcomers.

So despite having nearly 20 more characters than Brawl, the usage of counter went up by 12% with the newcomers and Roy's return.

(And if anyone's curious Ultimate is 22.08% - excluding Joker from the calculations but chances are he won't)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I agree somewhat, but that's not my point:

My point was that:
  1. Animal Crossing was already fine with what it had
  2. Isabelle was an obvious promotion for AC 2019
  3. There were more popular choices to choose from in the AT department
  4. The majority of her moveset is more or less a copy/paste of Villager's making her the only non-echo clone newcomer.
What I'm trying to say is that she's the black sheep (or dog, I guess) of the newcomers. She was a bit of a disappointment and I personally had very few reasons to appreciate her being.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Are you me? These are all EXACTLY my opinions

People who say that Isabelle shouldn't have gotten in over Geno/Isaac/other obscure character are forgetting just how ****ing HUGE Animal Crossing is.
Or they'll start spewing garbage about how Animal Crossing fans aren't true Nintendo fans

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree somewhat, but that's not my point:

My point was that:
  1. Animal Crossing was already fine with what it had
  2. Isabelle was an obvious promotion for AC 2019
  3. There were more popular choices to choose from in the AT department
  4. The majority of her moveset is more or less a copy/paste of Villager's making her the only non-echo clone newcomer.
What I'm trying to say is that she's the black sheep (or dog, I guess) of the newcomers. She was a bit of a disappointment and I personally had very few reasons to appreciate her being.
My point is that she would've gotten in regardless of the new Animal Crossing. I'd also argue it absolutely wasn't "fine for what it had." Animal Crossing should absolutely have more characters than Gyromite. The series was still playing catch-up ever since it got snubbed from Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom