• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Undertale's disproportionate but much-deserved impact can be felt across nearly all gaming circles. I could see Sans being considered as a DLC character, but I'm firmly siding with either Frisk/Chara or Undyne instead. To me, either of those two would be the best case scenario for Undertale representation.

KatKit

Smash Lord
With all the FE hate, I think the real unpopular opinion is that Roy got fine-tuned enough to the point that he doesn't play like Marth at all, both visually and from a gameplay perspective. They're nothing alike. Roy now feels like the Sagat to Marth's Ryu. Any title with Marth should have Roy and Lucina (the perfect compromise between the two).

Even in a hypothetical new title, with roster cuts, I'd keep all but maybe one existing FE rep at most, and even add 2 more (Anna and someone from Three Houses). And ideally, Anna is the best FE rep to add, out of any title ever, past, present and future.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
You're probably right. Mac benefits little from the short hop aerial mechanic so it's as if every other fighter got buffed except for him in that measure.
It's not just the short hop mechanic, he lost so much in this game:
You're not crazy. :ultlittlemac: lost so many of his d-tilt and up-tilt combos and his tilts have more endlag. It hurts his damage output and gets rid of all of his kill confirms. F-tilt can still be fallen out of. All of his tilts aren't safe on shield. Smash attacks have dead zones. His KO punch kills later, has less horizontal distance, and has a dead zone directly in front of him, why?! Grounded Side-b has more endlag and decreased range. His recovery is still the same as it was in smash 4 it's just different. He can't use his side b again when he's hit in the air. Up-b has less vertical distance.:ultlittlemac:is tied with :ultbayonetta:the shortest directional air dodge distance in the game. I know that they did this specifically to him because not only does everyone have standardized distances, but he's the only one in the game that has a 6 frame window of vulnerability when he snaps on the ledge with a directional air-dodge. Making the directional air-dodge completely useless for him for recovering.

In all honesty, I think that this character will be at the bottom of the tier list. He retained so many problems that plague him in smash 4 such as his garbage recovery, the worst aerials in the game, terrible disadvantage state due to lack of options in the air, dead zones, and a very linear gameplan that can be exploited heavily. He also gained new problems such as lack of kill confirms, the worst air dodge in the game, and even less reliability on many of his moves (KO punch,and f-tilt). Don't rely on updates to help him, :4jigglypuff: the worst character in the game and didn't receive any buffs throughout it's lifespan. While he does receive the benefits of doing anything out of the dash, his tilts got more endlag. He's going to miss out on a crap ton of tech such as attack canceling because of his craptastic air game. :ultchrom: does everything better than :ultlittlemac:does and more. While he doesn't have super armor, he more than makes up for it for having a sword and a good air and ground game.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-Not passing through opponents was the worst gameplay decision Ultimate ever made.

-Wanting to fill character quotas isn’t necessarily a bad thing, (All plumbers, spear users, kongs etc) in the end it doesn’t matter but I can see why some people might have a bit of OCD when they want someone/something that isn’t in Smash yet.

-Can Smash please give single players some god damn love again?
Not Smash fan has someone to play with....like me.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Galeem was a much better villain than Darkhon. I liked the aspect of the Smash Brothers facing some divine, emotionless, expressionless God. Galeem had this vibe of some omnipotent deity who's a hundred steps ahead of everyone else and had every trick up it's sleeve. Darkhon? Look, the Eye of Sauron surrounded by a web of sinuous tentacles wasn't exactly the most appealing surprise. Now it looked like we were up against some generic evil bad guy. Not to mention, the whole tentacle monster aspect kind of freaks me out knowing this was designed in Japan.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is - and not trying to turn this into a FE discussion again - but regardless. An ideal "reduced" FE roster would consist of Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin, with Lucina as an alternate outfit to Marth as she was originally intended in Smash 4. Mind you, this is with the assumption that Echo Fighters are no longer a thing at some point in the future.
well the thing is..there are many different FE characters, there are characters that fight with axes,spears,bows and even magic but not just that, you even got Laguz people who can change into animals.. they got so many variaty to choose from but all we get is sword fighters and 1 magic user..that is kinda going with the easy way, though adding Robbin in as a variety was a good move of them!

osby

Smash Obsessed
People should look less at what Fire Emblem characters hold at their hands and more at the characters themselves.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
It is still way too effective to be a opportunistic coward in this game. In a game like Splatoon, that simply does not work because that game has excellent balance and encourages you to attack instead of waiting for an opportinity.

I have seen some people play really awesome, but the majority are just cowards.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It is still way too effective to be a opportunistic coward in this game. In a game like Splatoon, that simply does not work because that game has excellent balance and encourages you to attack instead of waiting for an opportinity.

I have seen some people play really awesome, but the majority are just cowards.
Yeah if you open up yourself to being attacked, anyone's going to exploit that opportunity to attack you.
There's nothing cowardly about punishing a bad move.
That's what "being encouraged to attack means."

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if you open up yourself to being attacked, anyone's going to exploit that opportunity to attack you.
There's nothing cowardly about punishing a bad move.
That's what "being encouraged to attack means."
You are trying to soften the defition to the word "coward". It did not go so well, try again.

Do you want games where four players stand in their own corners waiting for everyone else to move, and the player who moves is stupid because the other players are just punishing his bad move?

Please.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Crocodile Cacophony remix > Gangplank Galleon remix. Fight me. :ultmetaknight:

Galeem was a much better villain than Darkhon. I liked the aspect of the Smash Brothers facing some divine, emotionless, expressionless God. Galeem had this vibe of some omnipotent deity who's a hundred steps ahead of everyone else and had every trick up it's sleeve. Darkhon? Look, the Eye of Sauron surrounded by a web of sinuous tentacles wasn't exactly the most appealing surprise. Now it looked like we were up against some generic evil bad guy. Not to mention, the whole tentacle monster aspect kind of freaks me out knowing this was designed in Japan.
Although I agree that I enjoyed Galeem more as a villain then Dharkon, in hindsight I'm glad that D****** exists to compliment Galeem. Partially because I found a video I really liked about World of Light's story made by a rather infamous youtuber I used to watch but unsubbed from out of getting bored of their content, and their explanation for what D****** was is a really cool idea that I hope was intentional on Sakurai's part.

But yeah, I'd have given Dharkon something besides the tentacle monster gimmick as well. Actually, you know what I'd have given him? Those chains you see him use in the dark bad ending.

You are trying to soften the defition to the word "coward". It did not go so well, try again.
And you're twisting Idon Idon 's words and doing so in an accusatory, antagonizing tone. Stop it.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Crocodile Cacophony remix > Gangplank Galleon remix. Fight me. :ultmetaknight:

Although I agree that I enjoyed Galeem more as a villain then Dharkon, in hindsight I'm glad that D****** exists to compliment Galeem. Partially because I found a video I really liked about World of Light's story made by a rather infamous youtuber I used to watch but unsubbed from out of getting bored of their content, and their explanation for what D****** was is a really cool idea that I hope was intentional on Sakurai's part.

But yeah, I'd have given Dharkon something besides the tentacle monster gimmick as well. Actually, you know what I'd have given him? Those chains you see him use in the dark bad ending.

And you're twisting Idon Idon 's words and doing so in an accusatory, antagonizing tone. Stop it.
Not twistin anything mister, it was obvious what he was trying to do.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
In the next game, they should remove Battlefield & Final Destination as separate stages entirely. With the Battlefield/Omega Form feature, wasting development on unique geometry and backgrounds is superfluous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't believe Metroid needs anymore characters. We have two versions of Samus to represent her versatility/mobility, Ridley as Metroid's main antagonist and literal Metroid Prime to represent the Prime series. Not that I'm opposed to Sylux as DLC though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If any new Gen~1 Pokémon are going to weasel their way into DLC or the next game, It should be Psyduck. He seems to have prevalence in non~video game media such as the anime and the upcoming Detective Pikachu film.
I'd much rather have weirdo non~canon Luigi than boring Luigi's Mansion Luigi. He exerts an energy no other character really can (And not talking about the Negative Zone)
If they were to add a fourth~party character, It should be Nester, Captain N or Princess Lana as a Zelda Echo.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Not twistin anything mister, it was obvious what he was trying to do.
That's ma'am to you, doc.

A bad take is a bad take, perhaps, but Idon isn't blurting the stock-standard response to criticism of Smash's metagame out of malice. Simply say that that isn't enough of a response; spitting acid at him like he's some kind of malignant politician does nothing but demonstrate you being an insufferable ***hole with serious trust issues.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I think Greg Chun's take on both Ike's was way better than Jason Adkins. I was never really a fan of how Nintendo kept on using the "Star Fox" approach with some of their games with voice acting, (Hiring people who would only voice that one character for that one game and following and never come back) although sometimes it did work.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
-Punishing anything out of shield in this game feels annoyingly difficult. I'm not sure if it's just me but there's too much shieldstun and every grab seems to feel worse to use, even getting a parry doesn't always help.
-This game reminds me why I loathe fighting against CPUs, especially since so many in this game are total *****. Making an "Adventure Mode" that's just hours and hours of CPU event matches with the rare boss and cutscene was a poor decision.
-Mario was my main in Smash 4, but he feels wrong to me in Ultimate. I don't know what exactly but his endlag seems worse and all his fun combos are way harder to pull off.
-The Hands are not fun to fight anymore. I really enjoyed their battle in Smash 4 but in Ultimate they have so many different and hard-to-avoid attacks that feel like the designers had no self-restraint, to the point where I feel less challenged and more just cheapened out on.
-Post-launch content outside of Fighters Pass and Mii Costumes better not be just Spirit events. I need Stage Builder, Home Run Contest, and Target Smash back. And Smash Run would be nice too, but that's more of a dream.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
-Punishing anything out of shield in this game feels annoyingly difficult. I'm not sure if it's just me but there's too much shieldstun and every grab seems to feel worse to use, even getting a parry doesn't always help.
Don't worry, it's not just you. Grabs in general are noticeably nerfed for whatever reason, and dropping your shield takes so long that you might as well not even go for a punish. It's one of the most annoying parts of the game that I really hope gets changed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think his design needs to freak you out, being a Lovecraftian monster and all. Personally, yeah, Galeem was a bit more unusual but I also liked Dharkon's more organic design as a contrast, referencing Azazoth and Yog-Sothoth.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Although a decent song, I think the remix of Gangplank Galleon is overhyped/overrated.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think his design needs to freak you out, being a Lovecraftian monster and all. Personally, yeah, Galeem was a bit more unusual but I also liked Dharkon's more organic design as a contrast, referencing Azazoth and Yog-Sothoth.
It's less about Darkhon's appearance and more of the lack of contrast between it and Galeem. Galeem was some astral deity and divine figure. Darkhon looks like a sewer monster. It would have been cooler if Darkhon represented some opposing god of evil with equal resemblance to some kind of omnipotent deity or astral force versus the less engaging "Galeem versus a rabid hydra" we have.

D

Deleted member

Do you want games where four players stand in their own corners waiting for everyone else to move, and the player who moves is stupid because the other players are just punishing his bad move?

Please.
"stop playing the game right coward"

have you seen tournament play lmao offensive play is still super rewarded if you can get around your opponents walls
Don't worry, it's not just you. Grabs in general are noticeably nerfed for whatever reason, and dropping your shield takes so long that you might as well not even go for a punish. It's one of the most annoying parts of the game that I really hope gets changed.
you can still up-b, up smash, and jump out of shield without having to sit through the shield drop animation iirc

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemotoda

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7921 7233 3227
Really hoping that Mario doesn't get a newcomer, Odyssey moves would be enough and I feel like another character for the franchise at this point would be bottom of the barrel. I know that OP said this isn't a debate thread but I'd be happy if somebody could sway me.
Although I slightly agree, you have to realize Mario is the essence of Nintendo. He's their posterboy and likely always will be. Because of that, I think it's fair for his series to have the most representation in Smash bros, a game about celebrating gaming's history.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's less about Darkhon's appearance and more of the lack of contrast between it and Galeem. Galeem was some astral deity and divine figure. Darkhon looks like a sewer monster. It would have been cooler if Darkhon represented some opposing god of evil with equal resemblance to some kind of omnipotent deity or astral force versus the less engaging "Galeem versus a rabid hydra" we have.
I have to disagree, there are a lot of constrast between them. Galeem look like a inorganic, sterile angel while Dharkon looks like a mix between plants and animals, having no smooth surface.

If one is a seraphim, the other is an elderly god.

D

Deleted member

I dunno about the first two but I know jumping works. Short hop and then aerial could work.
They do work, you just have to input up+special on the exact same frame like a Smash attack. The game actually mentions this in a tip. But SH aeriel is many characters best punish tool

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Two things annoy me lately:

Looking at a few cast members, I hate how these two things exist:

Down+B = Counter. Its just annoying and not very thoughtful. I could easily thing to new/cool things to add for people like K Rool, Greninja, Lucario, Palutena, Pit, etc... I find the counter to be OK on Fire Emblem people tho.

Having UP+B act as a non-damaging, long distance option annoys me too. I find it creatively lazy. Rosalina, Pit, ROB, Duck Hunt, Inkling, Greninja, Isabelle, Villager, Snake, Sonic, Megaman, K.Rool.

I dont mind SOME of them as they make sense in the context of their game (Like KRool, Inkling, Sonic....) but I find most of them so.... blah. Lazy.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I think it's lame that Pokemon is guaranteed at least one newcomer slot in every Smash game, even when the actual character that will be used is unknown. No other series gets this privilege--not even Mario.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's lame that Pokemon is guaranteed at least one newcomer slot in every Smash game, even when the actual character that will be used is unknown. No other series gets this privilege--not even Mario.
But... Mario did get a new character every Smash entry. Even when we thought "Oh, Daisy's an echo." They hit us with the piranha plant.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not in Brawl.
Y'know what, I was about to say Wario but I remembered he had his own franchise by that point.

So I guess technically Brawl didn't have a "Mario" character per se, just one as close as you could get.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Same. The trend of adding a Pokemon to advertise the newest generation every game is really getting old at this point, and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Pokemon. Hell, we already have people debating whether Lucario and Greninja, two "shillmons" who do have lasting popularity, have a place in the current-day roster. (I think they do, to be clear, but that's beside the point.) It makes me wonder where Incineroar's gonna be by the time the next Smash rolls around, quite frankly. Lucario and Greninja at least had timing on their side when they were added; Gen 7 didn't need a playable mon, in my book, as it was pretty much already over by the time Ultimate came out and nobody from that gen had really proven themselves to have the raw star power that Lucario and Greninja enjoy to this day. (That, and we kind of already had nine Pokemon in the game before Incineroar. Adding a tenth was superfluous, even to a Pokemon superfan like myself.) But at this point, I think it's clear that there will be a Pokemon from the newest generation in every new Smash game until the end of time, even if the circumstances are entirely stacked against it. And if you ask me, that's a real shame.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't care if there's 10 or 50 Pokemon. They just need a little more variety than awkward-to-control anthros, and Gen 7 had two mascots that would've provided such variety.

Star Fox is a series that can get away with being represented by just a few anthros. Pokemon is not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom