• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
This is not Smash 5 per se, but:
I felt that at least 60% of the support Pac-Man got back in SSB4 came solely from the fact that Bandai Namco was developing the game, making a character from them a shoo in, which lead to Pac-Man. I don't think Pac-Man would've received nearly the same support if Bandai Namco wasn't involved
For comparison, it's kind of how some third party characters like Solaire or Crash suddenly got a gigantic surge of supporters just because their games are coming to Switch? idk I feel like that about them too
While I do think Pac-Man will come back regardless if Bandai Namco returns or not (it gave a lot of positive exposure for the character and he did fit in), this feeling still doesn't go away

Basically I feel some character requests are really forced just because a game is coming to Nintendo consoles/a company is involved in Smash, and that isn't really a new thing

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"There's no point in making the game more balanced if it decreases the fun factor."

That sentence up there is a quote of Sakurai's. I have a problem with it though, I want this fun factor thing gone. What even is "fun factor" supposed to mean, other than his own subjective ideas of what is fun and what isn't? Hypothetically, if Sakurai found Sheik to be more fun then the rest of the cast, he could have veto'ed the most vital nerfs every time the rest of the balance team went after her for the sake of the fun factor, and that would conveniently explain why it was only in patch 1.1.5 that Sheik was finally brought down to a reasonable level, you know, the patch that came right AFTER Sakurai took his break, after 1.0.4 and before 1.1.5 Sheik pretty much just got a bunch of spread out changes that happened every now and then and equated to being slapped on the wrist on their own, and this went on for 11 patches despite Sheik being perceived as the best character in tournament play pretty much forever, it's kind of crazy. I think it's likely that he A. actually understands why certain members of the strongest and weakest performing characters are unbalanced and simply refuses to nerf/buff them in a meaningful way because he finds them as "fun" as they could be in their current state, or B. if he doesn't understand why those characters aren't balanced he might be incompetent when it comes to balancing , and since I don't think he's incompetent I'm going to assume option A. is correct.

I want someone who'd be willing to buff their least favorite character/s to play against and severely nerf their favorites if that'd make the game more balanced overall, it shouldn't matter how fun one person finds them. I want someone who'd be willing to make decisions that go against their own personal thoughts on the game's balance if tournament results for characters indicate their thoughts on character X or Y weren't completely accurate, and I don't really care whether or not that person ends up being Sakurai or someone else, I just want as much subjectivity gone as possible.

TLDR: The fun factor is evil and shouldn't have ever been a part of Smash's balancing. :4jigglypuff:
This “fun factor” is FFAs. I mean, it’s plain as day that Sakurai doesn’t care about tournament play at all. Considering the vast majority of players are going to predominantly play FFAs, I don’t see why he should balance for 1v1s.

D

Deleted member

Would be nice to see Paper Mario added to the game. Just would seem like a nice touch to the roster. Also, maybe we could have a decent Zelda for once? She can never make at least mid tier and I would like to see that changed.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Would be nice to see Paper Mario added to the game. Just would seem like a nice touch to the roster. Also, maybe we could have a decent Zelda for once? She can never make at least mid tier and I would like to see that changed.
Don't worry, these are both pretty popular, especially the second one.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
While I’m at it... GFAQs has brought up an interesting topic.

Just because a character uses a weapon or other method of attack that’s not in Smash doesn’t mean they have any merit. Dixie’s hair whipping or a different sort of weapon like an axe does not make an interesting character. How it is used is what matters, not what is used. They could of easily given oh say Duck Hunt the Zapper and shoot with it, or just simply throw the can/clay pidgin instead of working with a gunner. They didn’t because they wanted him to actually play differently instead of being another samey character but with a visual novelty.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This “fun factor” is FFAs. I mean, it’s plain as day that Sakurai doesn’t care about tournament play at all. Considering the vast majority of players are going to predominantly play FFAs, I don’t see why he should balance for 1v1s.
Because FFA doesn't need balancing, for the most part. There are so many factors contributing to a FFA, assuming we're talking about it with items, that it really doesn't matter how good or bad a character presumably is. If a Jigglypuff knows how to effectively use items and keep themselves out of some bigger tussles, they're probably going to do just fine against a top tier. No one's going to care that a Bayonetta can carry someone off the screen, because chances are the other players can stop it/yoink a kill, an item will get in the way, or a stage's layout/hazard will just prevent it from happening. Characters cannot be properly balanced for a game mode with so many contributing, random factors to it, so trying to do so is a waste of time.

If you DO balance Smash in accordance to 1 vs 1, a FFA player would never notice or really care. Because it doesn't matter to them.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Because FFA doesn't need balancing, for the most part. There are so many factors contributing to a FFA, assuming we're talking about it with items, that it really doesn't matter how good or bad a character presumably is. If a Jigglypuff knows how to effectively use items and keep themselves out of some bigger tussles, they're probably going to do just fine against a top tier. No one's going to care that a Bayonetta can carry someone off the screen, because chances are the other players can stop it/yoink a kill, an item will get in the way, or a stage's layout/hazard will just prevent it from happening. Characters cannot be properly balanced for a game mode with so many contributing, random factors to it, so trying to do so is a waste of time.

If you DO balance Smash in accordance to 1 vs 1, a FFA player would never notice or really care. Because it doesn't matter to them.
Why? Why do you think they don’t care? Of course people care. Even ****ing Mario Kart has a ton of effort put into the balancing even though it’s “so chaotic” and “casuals can’t tell.” Let me tell you, they can tell that Smash and MK 64 are dated crap, and it’s not just from the content either.

Criticizing opinions in this thread is against the rules anyway. Besides, it’s not me you need to convince but Sakurai. He’s sure as hell not budging. And why would he? Plenty of games are balanced around chaos and FFAs and are better off for it.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Why? Why do you think they don’t care? Of course people care. Even ****ing Mario Kart has a ton of effort put into the balancing even though it’s “so chaotic” and “casuals can’t tell.” Let me tell you, they can tell that Smash and MK 64 are dated crap, and it’s not just from the content either.

Criticizing opinions in this thread is against the rules anyway. Besides, it’s not me you need to convince but Sakurai. He’s sure as hell not budging. And why would he? Plenty of games are balanced around chaos and FFAs and are better off for it.
You say that but your post was criticizing the point of another. :V

But yes, you're right, that's a rule, so just forgetaboutit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Criticizing is against the rules, yes. That applies to everyone. Consider it a verbal warning to both LancerStaff LancerStaff and Fenriraga Fenriraga . Drop the entire conversation now and do not reply(after this post exists, of course). Further continuing with result in warnings/infractions.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Unpopular Opinions 13000: The Reckoning

-Smash Tour is actually kind of fun and I wouldn't mind it returning as long as it doesn't take up a massive portion of the main menu.

-Speaking of menus, Smash 4's one is atrocious and I really hope Smash Switch's one has more purpose put into it, like Brawl's menu, that one's fantastic.

-Smash 4's items were overtuned, I pretty much never play with them anyway so it didn't bother me much but I think I'd play with them a little more often if the items were turned down a notch next game.

-I'd rather have Yoshi's Story return than Fountain of Dreams.

-I want Pichu to return more than I want Snake to. And it's not like I don't want Snake, I just want Pichu that much lol.

-Not sure if this one is truly unpopular since I know most Smash 4 players are in favor of Jigglypuff buffs, but the excuse/reasoning that since she's a joke character it's fine if she doesn't get buffs always bugged me. Even if it is true (which it may very well not be) there's no reason why the joke character can't be a lethal joke character, and especially a beloved character like Jigglypuff that does have plenty of people who main her despite her lack of viability, it's ridiculous that the character's bottom tier in Brawl, yet we still had to sit around and watch nearly everyone else get buffs while getting literally nothing every patch, it's more than a little frustrating. It'd be an absolute tragedy if she isn't buffed in Smash 5, and the same thing goes for Zelda and Ganondorf, it's absurd that the same bottom 3 characters of Brawl are arguably also the bottom 3 of Smash 4 (without 1111 miis), that's a ten year period of bottom tier level quality and that's not a good thing.

-Any cut is a deep cut and cuts should be avoided as much as they possibly can, and that also goes for the characters I believe never deserved to get in Smash in the first place like Dark Pit or Corrin. It'd be one thing if they never got in, but now that they're in the game, they have so much more people to disappoint if they're not there than they would have otherwise, cutting them would be so much worse than if they never got in because now people have a emotional attachment to them, and I'd never wish that someone would have to lose their main.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
a couple more! if we're not allowed more than one post i can transplant these into my earlier list and delete this one

• Small Link is not a different enough character from Small Link With Stubby Legs for people to want him "back." Toonsy may not be called Young Link but he's still a young Link and his playstyle isn't any more different than Bowser's or Tall Link's or anyone else's is between games. that being said, i'm all for a Majora's Mask Link skin for our boy Toon Link.
  • i know Greninja has no reason to be a priority for removal, but i personally wouldn't miss him.
  • (added 5/11/18) i don't want more Mario content - partly because i feel there's plenty already but also 'cause all the most talked-about possibilities bore me. Waluigi, Daisy, and Toad are expected over practically anyone else and not one of them is exciting enough for me to go "oh yes THIS would make a great 12th Mario-adjacent character!"

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
- New direction for 3rd parties. Instead of including a bunch of brand new third party characters, I think Sakurai should focus on expanding the existing third party franchises already in Smash. Sonic should be joined by Tails, Megaman should be joined by Zero, and Cloud should be joined by Terra from FFVI. Include with them just one completely new third party character, Simon Belmont from the Castlevania series in my opinion. There's just no real reason for why third parties should be limited to one character per franchise. It's completely arbitrary. Plus, Terra, Zero, and Simon would bring with them some iconic stages.
http://www.longjohncomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ff6_gmotd_cliff-article_image.jpg
http://www.honestgamers.com/guides/10/2453/8/introopener.jpg

- I think that timed matches are actually pretty fun and cleverly designed. It's no good for anything competitive that's for sure. But times free for alls are actually better in many ways to stock free for alls. For one thing, time makes aggressive play mandatory. You can't just stay out of battle like a coward. It's also really exciting having the score hidden seeing who won at the end. Even if you feel like you're in the lead, you can't slouch toward the end because you can't be totally certain a lot of the time. It's nothing competitive but its good fun.

- I don't want to see Crash or Spyro anywhere near this game. Just no please. This is purely subjective so don't get mad at me. There are other characters of games I've never played but would still be happy to see. These two are not among them.

- FE16 Protagonist should only get in as a DLC character later on. Corrin had a lukewarm reception but at least at the time of their reveal, I was familiar with the character. I don't really want a new FE character but if it were a FE character nobody even knows yet as opposed to an already beloved FE character like Lyn or Hector, I would be a bit mad.

- I don't see King K. Rool, Isaac, or Geno as likely. I feel like these three picks are coming from the hardcore Smash roster speculators who date back all the way from pre-Brawl. Although I think Dixie Kong is more likely, King K. Rool isn't a total lost cause. I think he still has a chance to get in. Isaac and Geno are hopeless though. Super Mario RPG has been completely overshadowed by the Mario & Luigi series and Paper Mario as time has passed. It doesn't help that Geno is a 3rd party on top of that. Golden Sun just isn't one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It's always been restricted to handheld and there doesn't seem to be a new game on the horizon.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think Banjo or issac should be in the game - had two games a long time ago. Not iconic and not really relevant anymore.

Until recently, this also applied to Crash and Spyro. I don’t see Crash in the game because they are doing a port of the remasters, though.

Don’t see indie reps making it in as fighters (will be trophies though)

1) They shouldn’t change ganondorf’s moveset
2) either remove sheik entirely or make sheik and zelda one character slot like in melee and brawl.
3) no sun and moon pokemon
4) Isaac from golden sun has literally zero chance of getting in
5) Neither does Sora
6) Donkey Kong deserves a new representative more than any other series
7) that representative should either be K. Rool or LANKY KONG
8) Marx deserves a spot as a kirby representative WAY more than bandana waddle dee does
9) We don’t have too many Mario Characters, since Yoshi and Wario don’t count as mario characters due to each of them having their own separate series
10) Midna shouldn’t be in the game, but Tingle should
11) All clone characters should be removed, except for doctor mario since he is the most iconic of the clones
12) rob’s moveset needs an overhaul
13) other than smash 64, melee is easily the worst in the series
14) brawl is the best in the series
15) If we get a new Mother series representative it ahould be soneone like jeff or duster (someone who doesn’t have access to PSI)
16) Lanky Kong should be in smash bros.

Other than Sonic, all third party characters should be removed and replaced by a new third party character.
Snake, Megaman, Pacman, ETC should ABSOLUTELY not return. They are third parties and should be treated as such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

Also, do not criticize other opinions. It's against the rules of this thread.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
- I think it's possible for a moveset to be designed around Captain Toad's inability to jump. I used to be against his inclusion but I saw a video in which a guy explained how he might work. It's because of his heavy backpack that Captain Toad can't jump, correct? Well Captain Toad would have the ability to toss random treasures from out of his bag as a projectile. Each use of this special move would make him lighter and more capable of jumping. They could design him based on this mechanic of manipulating weight vs. jump height.

- If an ARMS character is to get in, they should be the most popular or most fun ARMS character. Springman doesn't deserve to be in Smash just because he's the main guy. I hope this turns out to be a Chrom situation all over again.

- I don't think that Bandana Dee's spear playstyle is unique in any form. A spear is basically a sword on a stick that you poke people with. It's made for thrusts. Marth and Lucina both use a thrust for their standard B. Shulk's forward smash is a thrust. I just don't see a spear being wildly different at all.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Oh God, here we go.

- I don't think any Indies deserve a spot on the roster. Not Shovel Knight. Not Shantae. None of them.

- I don't think Spyro or Crash, as well as some other third parties, don't deserve a spot on the roster. They don't have the same "Star Power" as other 3rd parties like Sonic, MegaMan, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, or even, yes, Bayonetta. She essentially won a popularity contest so enough people wanted her. I feel the most likely and deserving third parties would be Monster Hunter, The Hero from Dragon Quest, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. All globally and extremely popular franchises, and would fit Smash perfectly.

- I don't think King K. Rool, Captain Toad, Waluigi, Daisy, Geno, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Marx, Funky Kong, and a plethora of other pipe dream characters have a chance at akk, and I feel the only one's I may be wrong about, are K. Rool and Geno.

- I think Paper Mario is the most likely Mario newcomer.

- I don't think Zelda needs a newcomer, and it complete as is. I would much rather the movesets of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf be revamped. Link and Zelda to reflect BotW, enough to where Toon Link would no longer be considered a Link clone. Ganondorf just needs his swords.

- I don't think Pokemon will get any cuts this time around, and if it does, I think Lucario should be it. As for newcomers, I think Lycanroc and Mimikyu are more likely, and more original than Decidueye, though I wouldn't mind any of them.

- Takamaru and Ballon Fighter are the only viable retro reps in my eyes, and I think Takamaru will get it.

- I think Wonder Red will make it onto the roster.

- I don't think it'd be as hard as everyone thinks for Sora to make it into Smash.

- I don't like Lucina, and think and hope they'll keep Roy on the roster over her.

- I don't mind Dark Pit.

- Hades > Medusa.

- I think tier list are bulls**t, and that any character can beat any character if played by someone who is skilled with them.

- The competitive scene is only a small fraction of the Smash playbase.

- I don't think and don't want Corrin to be cut.

- All the third parties in Smash Wii U/3DS werean incredible and deserving additions.

- I love playing with items on occasionally.

- I don't think we'll get a large amount of newcomers this time around to begin with, but more will be added on throughout the Switch lifecycle. I don't think it'd be as challenging as others believe it is to balance a roster of 70-80 characters at the end of DLC, and it's not like there aren't patches that can fix gradually that throughout the game's life.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

D

Deleted member

I think adding marx before bandana dee would be like adding funky kong before k rool.
Actually it'd be worse, at least funky kong isn't a one-off that was added as an extra fanservice character.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Having more third parties in the roster is a good thing in the long run, despite the hate boner people have for them.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
- If an ARMS character is to get in, they should be the most popular or most fun ARMS character. Springman doesn't deserve to be in Smash just because he's the main guy. I hope this turns out to be a Chrom situation all over again.
I agree. To me, the two most often brought-up characters, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, while would bring something interesting to Smash either way, I feel that they're the most generic possible characters in the ARMS roster. I would rather have someone else like Kid Cobra, Helix, or Max Brass (aka pretty much anyone else in the roster except for obviously Springtron).

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd be okay with major cuts if it meant more time for newcomers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
- Third party character support is forced, and I seriously hope they won't become the focus on Smash Switch, as it seriously hinders the chances of long awaited first party newcomers.
- The reason Smash 4 focussed so much on 3rd party support is because it needed to appeal to a grander audience and lots had to do with the Wii U not performing as well as previous Nintendo consoles.
- Big names from the veteran Smash franchises as Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Metroid should get priority over third party characters that will add little contribution to the future of Nintendo anyway. Examples: Spyro and Crash. Nintendo ISN'T desperate as that for third party support, they got plenty already.

Troykv

Smash Master
- Third party character support is forced, and I seriously hope they won't become the focus on Smash Switch, as it seriously hinders the chances of long awaited first party newcomers.
- The reason Smash 4 focussed so much on 3rd party support is because it needed to appeal to a grander audience and lots had to do with the Wii U not performing as well as previous Nintendo consoles.
- Big names from the veteran Smash franchises as Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Metroid should get priority over third party characters that will add little contribution to the future of Nintendo anyway. Examples: Spyro and Crash. Nintendo ISN'T desperate as that for third party support, they got plenty already.
Well yeah, the return of Snake never was a priority after all.

D

Deleted member

-K. Rool isn't as likely as people think. He was one of the biggest names for Smash before Smash 4 started development, while Smash 4 was in development, and after Smash 4 finished development and the DLC period went on. And the only thing to show for it is a DLC Mii Costume clearly meant to throw the fanbase a bone (which was not taken well). Nothing's changed since last time about K. Rool, so whatever was keeping him out last time is likely going to continue keeping him out.

-Decidueye is overrated and is only considered "the most likely" due to a bandwagon that started before it even had a name due to some quota that "needs" to be filled regarding the Grass/Fire/Water Starter representation. Same happened with Sceptile back when Greninja and Charizard were first announced, and the same will happen to whatever the Generation 8 Grass Starter is.

-Isabelle makes no sense as a playable fighter. Yeah, she's popular, but that's all she honestly has going for her. There is nothing inherent about her for a unique and feasible fighting style. No one will be able to convince me otherwise no matter how hard they try since it all sounds like desperation to justify the idea.

I have more, but these are the first that popped into my head and I'm rather busy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
-K. Rool isn't as likely as people think. He was one of the biggest names for Smash before Smash 4 started development, while Smash 4 was in development, and after Smash 4 finished development and the DLC period went on. And the only thing to show for it is a DLC Mii Costume clearly meant to throw the fanbase a bone (which was not taken well). Nothing's changed since last time about K. Rool, so whatever was keeping him out last time is likely going to continue keeping him out.
I find it amusing that in pre-Smash4, people saw King K. Rool as one of the "big three" and even though they got nothing but a Mii fighter costume for him that time, they still see him as a big contender this time. I also believe Japan doesn't care that much for King K. Rool?

D

Deleted member

I find it amusing that in pre-Smash4, people saw King K. Rool as one of the "big three" and even though they got nothing but a Mii fighter costume for him that time, they still see him as a big contender this time. I also believe Japan doesn't care that much for King K. Rool?
I can't really answer that.
Some would say K. Rool does have support in Japan, but it's really hard to say just how much he does in comparison to other characters (i.e. he may not be nearly as big there as he is in the States).

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm not a fan of any official controllers on the market for use with Smash Bros.

I'm getting sick of using Gamecube controllers due to their uncomfortable ABXY layout, and modern controllers make it difficult for precise inputs due to the lack of notches.

My optimal Smash controller would be Joy-Con + Grip with the addition of notched analogue sticks. Notches would give me the control I want, the ABXY layout would remove the need for the claw grip, I would have single-click shoulder buttons which would make it easier for reaction shielding, and the Joy-Con + Grip is currently my favorite controller in terms of comfort.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of any official controllers on the market for use with Smash Bros.

I'm getting sick of using Gamecube controllers due to their uncomfortable ABXY layout, and modern controllers make it difficult for precise inputs due to the lack of notches.

My optimal Smash controller would be Joy-Con + Grip with the addition of notched analogue sticks. Notches would give me the control I want, the ABXY layout would remove the need for the claw grip, I would have single-click shoulder buttons which would make it easier for reaction shielding, and the Joy-Con + Grip is currently my favorite controller in terms of comfort.
Do you have an example of how would look that kind of Controller?

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Do you have an example of how would look that kind of Controller?
I guess you could think of it as a combination of these two mock-ups I found. It would use the notches of the first image, but the sticks themselves would be built the same as any other Joy-Con controller, like the second image. It'd be cool to keep the colors of the first image though, with the grey and yellow sticks.

D

Deleted member

At this point I kinda want to see more 3rd parties just to piss off Nintendo purists. There are also some that I genuinely want more than others, but salt > my own preferences

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions?
-Ridley is too big-
Also krystal deserves a spot more then wolf
Crash spyro and other similar ps charecters dont fit smash at all,
Quote is a better pick then shovel knight
Miis are great
The competetive scene needs to embrace custom stages to enlargen the legal stage pool
Clones are a great way to flesh out the rooster
ganon moveset is fine and just needs 1 or 2 tweeks
Pokemon dosent need another charecter aside from maybe pkmn trainer
King k rule is dumb, but maybe not entirely a bad pick
they should focus on refining the charecters we have then adding more, maybe 6 to 8 at the most
third party charecters are a slippery slope, as cool as having megaman and cloud is.
I think thats about everything..
Thanks for making this thread! Its nice being able to yell all this out from time to time.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather not see Krystal in the game. Her design doesn't really click with me and I'm not a huge Star Fox fan.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Rex and Pyra's designs don't click with me so just for that, I'd rather see Elma as a new Xenoblade character. Rex's just generic and boring looking, Pyra's chest is annoyingly large in size, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 overall just went way too far in its anime-inspired aesthetic.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I think adding marx before bandana dee would be like adding funky kong before k rool.
Not criticizing your opinion, but I feel like this isn't a great example, considering Funky Kong has shown up a lot more than King K. Rool has in the Donkey Kong series.
I feel like a better example would be something along the lines of 'Putting Tatanga from Super Mario Land over Toad,' or something.

D

Deleted member

Not criticizing your opinion, but I feel like this isn't a great example, considering Funky Kong has shown up a lot more than King K. Rool has in the Donkey Kong series.
I feel like a better example would be something along the lines of 'Putting Tatanga from Super Mario Land over Toad,' or something.
Fair point.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
Sheik should be cut and replaced with Impa. Sheik's a costume for Zelda that only appeared in one game (granted, the best one) whose only use is to teach you warp songs. Impa has appeared in multiple games, and has been seen to know how to fight. And if people say that she can't be added since in BOTW she was a frail old lady, then let me introduce you to Smash 4 Link and Zelda.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Talking of Zelda, they should have used the Hyrule Warriors designs instead of the BotW ones. Dorf's is pretty much universally adored so it feels like a missed opportunity.

Ganondorf and Sheik have actual designs for that rather than having to make up a design like they did for Sheik in Brawl.

Also dear god why does Sheik not at least have a final smash or a taunt that uses her harp, it's the only thing she actually did in Ocarina of Time apart from smokebomb...

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
1: I do not care one bit about preserving a character's playstyle/moveset. If I want to play as Melee Falco, I'll go back to Melee. Let characters evolve over the course of the series!

2: With the rise of mods, I could not care less if veterans don't make it back into the next game.

3: Not only would I take literally anyone else, I would CUT my favorite characters if it meant I could keep Rex and Pyra off the roster. Does that scenario make any sense? No! But I'd still do it!

4: Fire Emblem deserves a newcomer in the next game. Corrin is hot garbage though.

5: More third parties is a good thing, and frankly more exciting than the vast majority of first party characters that could be added.

6: Brawl had the best newcomers. Smash 4 doesn't even come close, and Smash 5 has some massive shoes to fill.

7: Not only are the clone characters we have perfectly fine, there should be SIGNIFICANTLY more of them. Alternate takes on different playstyles are healthy for the game, they allow more people to enjoy more characters.

8: Any character introduced in the last 5 years will probably end up disappointing me. I play Smash to see the characters I grew up with duke it out, not whoever is the flavor of the month.

9: "X character can't be in smash because *Character Trait*" is not a reason against a character's inclusion. It is simply a showcase of your lack of imagination.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
* I'm probably more interested in what new stages and modes they add rather than what newcomers will come in as most of the more popular or likely choices just don't interest me compared to the ones I personally want.

* I wouldn't mind seeing a few more large stages, granted that their more like Temple and Fourside instead of Great Cave Offensive or New Pork City.

* I'd rather see more third parties that have had a more of an impact and popularity with Nintendo over ones that barely have anything to do with Nintendo but only make it in just because their "Iconic".

* Clones are fine so long as their more like Brawl's clones or even Melee's clones. Though I'd prefer it if they avoided Smash 4's styled clones if they can help it. Though so long as they remain low priority additions, there is no issues there.

* If we are going to get a new Fire Emblem character, please let it be a character with an established popularity over whoever is the FE Switch protagonist just because he/she happened to be at the right place at the right time. (This probably also goes for series like Pokemon I guess)

* I'm happy that they finally replaced the TP Zelda characters (or at least as defaults) as I was never really a fan of them.
That said, I hope Toon Link stays, or if he has to be replaced too, ALBW Link is the only replacement I'd accept.

Welp, this list turned out longer than I thought, guess I'll just leave it at that. *walks away*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom