• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
On one hand, I'm inclined to agree with you. On the other, I got really sick and tired of the same 5-15 characters being the only ones people ever talked about on the general discussion thread. October pre-Grinch-Leak was especially insufferable.
What sucked the most about Box Theory was that Nintendo themselves told us there were only two fighters left and even without leaks made it pretty damn obvious who to expect.

I'm still wondering why they felt so smart saving the most obvious clone character for last.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
That has less to do with bandwagon characters, and everything to do with the fact that no matter what, there are always going to be frontrunners in a popularity contest.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Maybe they should've switched Kencineroar and Isabelle's reveals around.:troll:
You ask me the Belmonts should have been swapped with Kencineroar. Think about it:

-Kencineroar's trailer is heat-based, and the August Direct aired in the summer
-Belmont trailer is horror-themed, and the last Direct was right after Halloween

Would it not have made more sense to show them in reverse order?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You ask me the Belmonts should have been swapped with Kencineroar. Think about it:

-Kencineroar's trailer is heat-based, and the August Direct aired in the summer
-Belmont trailer is horror-themed, and the last Direct was right after Halloween

Would it not have made more sense to show them in reverse order?
Halloween isn't popular in Japan

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Okay, so how about this?:

Everyone is Here + the Inkling, Daisy and Ridley Reveals all stay where they are.

August Smash Direct still has Chrom and Dark Samus, but now it has Kencineroar as well. This dampens my hype (aside from Dark Samus and I suppose Ken), but it works out because this was still "early on" enough in the hype cycle, before the speculation area went to utter ****. All assist trophies they've shown should be shown by this point.

September has Simon and Ritchter because September is still close enough to Halloween for Goth folks and tbh that's good enough for me. They announce Animal Crossing here anyway to chum the waters for Isabelle discussion.

November direct starts with K. Rool for hype, Isabelle and Piranha Plant for the memes, and finally Story Mode.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think Isabelle wouldn't work in a Smash direct. That would be awful. Imagine if Fates was announced when Corrin was released as DLC.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
However, it ended up being fake, so that means despite Vergeban being right about the roster, they shouldn't be trusted with DLC anyway, because they go down with the ship with the rest of the leakers who lost their believably to the Grinch Leak's deconfirmation.
This doesn't make sense.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
This doesn't make sense.
Vergeben was right about the characters they predicted, but they share in the general stigmatism and loss of trust that the Grinch Leak caused on principle of being a leaker. Not that hard to understand.

Then again, people ought not to have been trusting character roster leaks to begin with (myself included), so what the hell do I know?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Vergeben was right about the characters they predicted, but they share in the general stigmatism and loss of trust that the Grinch Leak caused on principle of being a leaker. Not that hard to understand.

Then again, people ought not to have been trusting character roster leaks to begin with (myself included), so what the hell do I know?
No, it's not hard to understand, it just makes... zero sense.
You're saying that since one leak was fake, an entirely different leaker who actually had correct info is now discredited.
That's ridiculous.

Last edited:

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
No, it's not hard to understand, it just makes... zero sense.
You're saying that since a leak was fake, an entirely different leaker who actually had correct info is now discredited.
That's ridiculous.
Well to be fair, the Grinch Leak looks much, much more real then some douche on the internet saying 'this character is in' with no evidence other than an okay track record.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well to be fair, the Grinch Leak looks much, much more real then some douche on the internet saying 'this character is in' with no evidence other than an okay track record.
Let's be honest, "a few more announcement"="more than five characters" isn't actually looks real.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Let's be honest, "a few more announcement"="more than five characters" isn't actually looks real.
That is a pretty negligible concern, the only REAL one was the cloud inconsistencies, and there was tons of stuff going for it like the removal of that process video, the company's lack of comment, the addition of the Grinch stuff in the corner, using a real name, the weird clipping on the website banner...

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Not when said douche had different people in the industry backing him up (Jon Cartwright, Spawn Wave Media and the guy from VG247).

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I liked Brawl's Event matches. Melee's and Smash 4's only angered me.
I don't remember Smash 4's (if they're bad, I'll chalk that up to repressed memories), but I'm right-this-second trying to give Melee's Event Matches another go (because my Wii is finally working again somehow) and...

This is just as putrid as I remember it being. Final Destination isn't ****ing worth it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think World of Light will be rather short, probably no more than three hours long.
Everyone played it said it will be pretty lengthy. It seems at a slow pace, unlocking three characters may take half an hour.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On one hand, I'm inclined to agree with you. On the other, I got really sick and tired of the same 5-15 characters being the only ones people ever talked about on the general discussion thread. October pre-Grinch-Leak was especially insufferable.
I mean, the whole idea of Ultimate was based around fan demand and after the August Direct Sakurai had basically narrowed it down extremely with the reveals. We mostly talked about those characters because those were what we had left.

We’re at a point with Smash when on a first party level, most of the main all stars are in, and a few bigger characters remain from the Nintendo camp. A handful of notable franchises are still missing any significant representation, and a handful of breakout stars in the past few years are also missing. And those are generally going to be the most popular picks at the end of the day, and you’re not getting rid of those fan bases until they get in. There will always be characters people gravitate towards, and unfortunately for you at least, most of what has been highly requested this time around and isn’t currently in will stick around. I know that’s not super wonderful to hear, but I think it’s jusy a new reality of Smash at this point...

It’s kind of always been funny to me that the easiest way to get those crowds to stop talking is just to have there character in the game. If people (and this isn’t really directed at you mind) do hate hearing about certain characters sooo much, then supporting them is actually in their interest. Especially now when we’ve confirmed fan bases can get a character in with a loud enough voice haha.

On another note not responding to you:

Beyond that, I’ve mentioned it before, but complaining about how certain characters belong to a “bandwagon” is kind of useless I feel. Is it so unreasonable to consider that an active and vocal fan base demonstrated reasons to like a character, and people responded positively to that? That people went, “oh yeah, that’d be a cool character” once it’s been explained or shown to them? Or that maybe people who have always liked the character are empowered a little bit to support that character when they an active community?

Like the whole anti-bandwagon character ideology utterly relies on you assuming that people joining the bandwagon have no agency to make their own decisions and might actually have legitimate support for that character or this one. Just let people like what they like and stop criticizing characters because they have support...

I don’t know, the bandwagon idea alongside the likes of “literal who”, relevancy, and the lulz Sakurai likes to troll reasoning rank among the most frustrating arguments I’ve heard in this community so I always get a little flustered hearing it I suppose.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can think up like twenty match-ups that's more interesting than Fox vs Fox.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
- Smash Ultimate is the first Smash since 64 where I like all of the newcomers.
- I consider spirits disconfirmations. I would like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
- I'm more interested in the DLC stages than characters this time.
- World of Light looks more appealing than Subspace to me. However, it's absolutely baffling that it doesn't have co-op.

osby

Smash Obsessed
- Smash Ultimate is the first Smash since 64 where I like all of the newcomers.
- I consider spirits disconfirmations. I would like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
- I'm more interested in the DLC stages than characters this time.
- World of Light looks more appealing than Subspace to me. However, it's absolutely baffling that it doesn't have co-op.
I can get no co-op. You move around the map as one person and it would be hard to balance so many matches for two people, like how co-op events are always separate from normal ones.

Also, one from me: I'm not a fan of Fountain of Dreams, it's hard to see anything on it.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion. Speculation should have taken the, If Sakurai announcing he will play along with the fans. He could have us on our toes in a guessing game until launch while killing any threats of leaks, mentioning there are many popular picks. Only one popular pick will be chosen out of that variety via challenger approach screens. A challenger from the beginning could reach all the way to the final direct, still addition as a false guess, dropped for any reason as say, Sakurai couldn't figure out how to work with the character.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Since you all know I've gone back to play some Melee (because I finally got my Wii to work again somehow), might as well slip these in as well:
  • People kept saying Adventure Mode was "more non-linear then you remember it being." Frankly, I don't see it. The only level that would fall under this would be the underground temple level, and it's a pretty small area if we're not taking in character sizes and the camera zoom into account.
  • Air-Dodging is exactly as unhelpful as I remember it being. Yes, it gives Yoshi leeway in their recovery, but everyone else suffers immensely from not being able to regain composure in mid-air after getting smacked around.
    • Actually, while we're on the subject... Combos, hitstun, stunlocking, etc. are highly overrated concepts for multiplayer games that only exist so that mediocre competitive wannabe players can make fighting games horrifically unfun for newbies and casuals. Emphasis on mediocre and wannabe, because actual competitive players beat the **** out of the people who complain about Brawl and pre-bayonetta Smash 4 not being stunlock-infested ****heaps, and competitive players don't need things like hitstun to do better at fighting games then everyone else.
  • Ganondorf's OoT design is... not growing on me, ngl. I'm still going to miss the Twilight Princess design.

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
A lot of casual features could easily be adapted for competitive play if they were modified some. However, they weren't so a lot of content in this game goes to waste when it could please both casual and competitive players.

Like for example, assist trophies could potentially see use if they functioned more like assists in Marvel vs Capcom. I don't think this would require a lot of modification and it could at the very least be a very fun mode. Each assist could have 3 moves mapped to taunts or something. Essentially adding three cool special moves to every character.

Spirits could possibly be competitive if they worked like clothing in Splatoon. It's a way to modify a fighter that isn't gamebreaking. However, there's no way to transfer spirits to another console, an upgrade system that looks too grindy, etc. It also probably wasn't balanced for it. Clothing adds a lot of depth and individuality to Splatoon. It would be cool to see people's combinations and their favorite Nintendo characters. It could also be a non-random way to adopt item functions to the game.

D

Deleted member

Also, one from me: I'm not a fan of Fountain of Dreams, it's hard to see anything on it.
I agree!

Also, I've got another one, maybe more like a gripe than an unpopular opinion: now that Spirits has been revealed, many people seem very enthusiastic and excited about using them (the actual Spirits and their bonuses, not the World of Light mode)--usually while in the same breath deriding the stickers of Brawl or the equipment of Smash 4....even though really it's the same thing, just tweaked. I actually really enjoyed custom equipment/custom moves in Smash 4 and was only hindered in my enthusiasm because of their limitations. But now I guess it's popular to hate on that but accept Spirits as a fun feature? And even if you're excited about Spirits because of their collectible nature, well they're just 2D trophies in that sense. So my point is, people don't need to unnecessarily bash the stickers or custom equipment while praising Spirits--please recognize they're basically all the same thing and Sakurai is just serving it to us in a slightly different way each time.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I agree!

Also, I've got another one, maybe more like a gripe than an unpopular opinion: now that Spirits has been revealed, many people seem very enthusiastic and excited about using them (the actual Spirits and their bonuses, not the World of Light mode)--usually while in the same breath deriding the stickers of Brawl or the equipment of Smash 4....even though really it's the same thing, just tweaked. I actually really enjoyed custom equipment/custom moves in Smash 4 and was only hindered in my enthusiasm because of their limitations. But now I guess it's popular to hate on that but accept Spirits as a fun feature? And even if you're excited about Spirits because of their collectible nature, well they're just 2D trophies in that sense. So my point is, people don't need to unnecessarily bash the stickers or custom equipment while praising Spirits--please recognize they're basically all the same thing and Sakurai is just serving it to us in a slightly different way each time.
They’re not all the exact same, and they all work slightly different. Some people may not like how you had to unlock custom moves at random, but like that you “purchase” Spirits. Some people may not like how stickers worked, with no descriptions or anything, but like how Spirits are closer to trophies. Just because someone likes Spirits doesn’t mean they have to like the other collectibles.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Very unpopular:

Before you all nuke be in the DM's for saying this: I really don't think Isaac would be good in Smash. I've though it over, and it just doesn't make sense for him to be anything more than an AT at this point. I can't see the reasoning behind choosing one special snowflake from a game that was discontinued a dozen years ago to be a fighter over hundreds of other, more relevant choices. Not to mention that Isaac wasn't even the main character of one of his three games. Even further, Isaac wouldn't meet the criteria for fighters, and I don't see the development team reserving a slot for a character with credentials that Isaac meets. He's not a retro character, a character from a new game, a major Nintendo character, and again, hasn't had a game in a dozen years. All Isaac would do is open the floodgates even further in terms of how relevant a character must be to get into Smash. Granted, I have nothing against Isaac as a character, the Golden Sun fanbase or anyone who supports Isaac and I feel bad for anyone who was disappointed Isaac wasn't included, I just came to the unpopular opinions thread to say I don't think adding Isaac in Smash would be a good idea.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Very unpopular:

Before you all nuke be in the DM's for saying this: I really don't think Isaac would be good in Smash. I've though it over, and it just doesn't make sense for him to be anything more than an AT at this point. I can't see the reasoning behind choosing one special snowflake from a game that was discontinued a dozen years ago to be a fighter over hundreds of other, more relevant choices. Not to mention that Isaac wasn't even the main character of one of his three games. Even further, Isaac wouldn't meet the criteria for fighters, and I don't see the development team reserving a slot for a character with credentials that Isaac meets. He's not a retro character, a character from a new game, a major Nintendo character, and again, hasn't had a game in a dozen years. All Isaac would do is open the floodgates even further in terms of how relevant a character must be to get into Smash. Granted, I have nothing against Isaac as a character, the Golden Sun fanbase or anyone who supports Isaac and I feel bad for anyone who was disappointed Isaac wasn't included, I just came to the unpopular opinions thread to say I don't think adding Isaac in Smash would be a good idea.
Something always irked me about the Isaac support thread. Like how it always HAS to receive a new post as if its just for the thread's benefit. I never once saw the thread absent from the front page of newcomer speculation. Like damn.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Very unpopular:

I really like to play Smash with my friends, and they like it too. At the same time, most of them don't have a Nintendo console, but there are many of their characters that are very popular. So, I also dont like the inclusion of unknow characters or niche characters from niche games too much, like Geno or Waluigi that doesnt even have a game. I preffer characters that even people that are not used to play Nintendo games too much knows them, cause that way, more people get more excited with the roster, instead of a minority of players that knows each character ever created in history of any game. If they include Geno for example, when I play with my friends, they will not even look to him..

[Friend looking for a character...]
- who are these?
- this is Geno, a character from a old mario rpg game, and the other is Waluigi, a purple evil Luigi.
- mario rpg game? this even exists? and this waluigi?
- yeap, it exists. And Waluigi actually... doesnt even have a game, he just exists as part of the universe of mario.
- Ok.. OH! this is that Crocodile from DK games? I remember him!

That's why I preffer better known characters over some characters people ask but only a few people really care about. The wow factor would not exist for many people if only niche characters appears. I would even feel the same about Banjo Kazooie, that I preffer 10 times a Crash Bandicoot or Rayman.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I really like to play Smash with my friends, and they like it too. At the same time, most of them don't have a Nintendo console, but there are many of their characters that are very popular. So, I also dont like the inclusion of unknow characters or niche characters from niche games too much, like Geno or Waluigi that doesnt even have a game. I preffer characters that even people that are not used to play Nintendo games too much knows them, cause that way, more people get more excited with the roster, instead of a minority of players that knows each character ever created in history of any game. If they include Geno for example, when I play with my friends, they will not even look to him..

[Friend looking for a character...]
- who are these?
- this is Geno, a character from a old mario rpg game, and the other is Waluigi, a purple evil Luigi.
- mario rpg game? this even exists? and this waluigi?
- yeap, it exists. And Waluigi actually... doesnt even have a game, he just exists as part of the universe of mario.
- Ok.. OH! this is that Crocodile from DK games? I remember him!

That's why I preffer better known characters over some characters people ask but only a few people really care about. The wow factor would not exist for many people if only niche characters appears. I would even feel the same about Banjo Kazooie, that I preffer 10 times a Crash Bandicoot or Rayman.
Waluigi's famous tho.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi's famous tho.
But he deserves a spot? He really dont even have a game. Wario has the Wario Ware games, and Wario Land Shake it, for example. Waluigi is just a character option in mario tennis games. I feel there are no good reasons to request his presence in the roster, more than just want to have a sensation of completion of the team, seeing all the related characters on the select screen, no matter if they are really good characters or not.

Add Waluigi on the game, a character that has no importance at all, would really be lower the bar to me.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi's famous tho.
So is pretty much every Mario character. He's just likely less popular (outside of memes) because he never appeared in anything except spin-offs, which isn't a big feat by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom