• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I prefer fewer Zelda characters because I already think there are plenty. Toon Link is unnecessary because Link already represents the protagonist of the series. My roster for Zelda characters would be limited to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf if I had any say in the matter. However, because I doubt this will ever occur, I would be content with Sheik being replaced with Impa. This change would be seen as unnecessary by many, I'm sure, since I wouldn't see any reason to remove Sheik's moveset entirely. Impa could have the same or similar moveset to Sheik, but be referred to as Impa instead and be given a different appearance. The essentials of Sheik would be there.

Zelda needs an overhaul for her moveset. Consider also that the reason why Zelda became Sheik wasn't so she could combat Ganondorf. In fact, she never fights once in OoT. Zelda is Sheik for the sake of remaining hidden from Ganondorf. The entire moveset may be what Sheik could do, but at the end of the day, it was Impa who trained Zelda. Impa is also a natural-born Sheikah. She's not a Hylian like Zelda. Those red eyes and tanned skin Sheik is sporting? Yeah, purely magical. The Zelda-Sheik relationship could be treated like so: Sheik is like the main course, while Zelda is the side dish. Even if Impa was a Zelda rep for the sake of being a Zelda rep, what is Sheik?

I use Sheik as a secondary, by the way.
Did you read the rules?

D

Deleted member

This transcends relevance/importance/popularity, franchise they're from, being 3rd party or first party and whatnot. There are some exceptions, but none that I can think of at the moment.
I've actually thought of an exception - non-video game characters, for obvious reasons.
As much as I like to joke about Darth Vader in Smash, I don't actually want him to get in.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Did you read the rules?
Yes; please show me in the Global Forum Rules, as well as the Forum Rules where it says one can make rules for his/her own thread. Please show where I have violated the GFR and/or FR. The difference between you and I is that I quoted you, while you didn't quote anyone who expressed their unpopular opinion regarding Impa. It's still criticism, regardless of whether or not you quote someone. It is akin to addressing someone's point-of-view, opinion, or argument while not directly mentioning that person's name.

Now, I was very respectful when I replied to you. I didn't insult you. I didn't make fun of your opinion. If all it takes is to not quote you and still address your opinion while not mentioning you by name, then I'll go back to my previous post and remove the quote. I have contacted an administrator in the meantime, and if there is an unwritten rule that says you can make your own rules in your own thread, then I will request that such rule be made written if such rule exists to prevent future misunderstanding.

D

Deleted member

Yes; please show me in the Global Forum Rules, as well as the Forum Rules where it says one can make rules for his/her own thread. Please show where I have violated the GFR and/or FR. The difference between you and I is that I quoted you, while you didn't quote anyone who expressed their unpopular opinion regarding Impa. It's still criticism, regardless of whether or not you quote someone. It is akin to addressing someone's point-of-view, opinion, or argument while not directly mentioning that person's name.

Now, I was very respectful when I replied to you. I didn't insult you. I didn't make fun of your opinion. If all it takes is to not quote you and still address your opinion while not mentioning you by name, then I'll go back to my previous post and remove the quote. I have contacted an administrator in the meantime, and if there is an unwritten rule that says you can make your own rules in your own thread, then I will request that such rule be made written if such rule exists to prevent future misunderstanding.
The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here (plus I'll totally tell on you and report).
I don't feel like debating this anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This thread has different rules. And that's no Criticizing other people's Opinions.

Make sure to read the Opening Post as well.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
  • I want someone to co-direct with Sakurai. He's great at making these games, but his disposition towards the fans seems odd. A younger person who's more in touch with modern audiences/sensibitilites and online functionalities would be great.
  • I hope noone from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 makes it. Everything about that game is tasteless and repulses me on a primal level.
  • In fact, I really hope most of the newcomers are more cartoonish in design. There are already too many anime-styled character designs that have next to no expressiveness.
  • Ivysaur should return.

Troykv

Smash Master
  • In fact, I really hope most of the newcomers are more cartoonish in design. There are already too many anime-styled character designs that have next to no expressiveness.
Would I ask you which characters you have in mind?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Apart from her down special, I like Zelda's moveset in Smash and would hope she doesn't get a total moveset overhaul. However, I want her current moveset reworked and buffed drastically.

I'd be okay with Jigglypuff never returning. Waste of a slot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Decidueye support is extremely forced. People talk about Impa, but Impa at least has been consistantly appearing in Zelda titles and has been playable in Hyrule Warriors. Decidueye support mostly comes from it being a Grass type, jumping on a "Grass Type Starter" bandwagon for no genuine reason much like Sceptile before. This might've worked for Pokken, but there's no reason to expect the same in Smash Bros. especially since Greninja and Jigglypuff didn't even become playable in Pokken.

D

Deleted member

"Grass starter" isn't any more forced than "x rep" or "villains".

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
-Imo Smash should still be an All-Star only game. I think it's fine to rep as many franchises as they see fit, but when one franchise gets 5 or 6 characters, they should make sure every single one is significant and popular. If not they shouldn't even be considered.

-Being a vet shouldn't be a get out of jail free card for a character. If it was a bad choice when they first made it, the fact they're already there shouldn't mean anything. I know by that line of thing that means I may lose one or two of my mains, but nothing bugs me more than hearing about a character "deserving" to be there, just because they already were.

-Some characters just make more sense as alts. I get clones don't take as much time as a full blown character, but know what takes even less time? Making them an alt. Really what does Doc offer that Mario couldn't? Slight stat changes aren't a good reason to separate the 2 imo.

-Clones are fine as long as the tweaks to the clone create a significant change in gameplay all around. Fox and Falco worked because the differences in the characters, while reserved to a few attacks, completely changed the way the characters played. Things like Pit/Dark Pit should be unacceptable.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Would I ask you which characters you have in mind?
I'm cool with whoever. My favorite Nintendo characters (that arn't Pokémon) are already in Smash. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for K. Rool, since he'd probably make a bunch of people happy. Though I've also seen some people toss around really interesting ideas for Pikmin characters (such as Louie commandeering insects).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The only reason i hope that crash bandicot come to smash is to childlishly brag that smash have infinite better psx representation that Playstation all stars (bring back snake and we are golden)

Alzauné

Smash Rookie
Wii Fit Trainer wasn't a wasted slot, and I hope she comes back and keeps her balance from this game.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
"Speculating" for months on end about a game for which we have no news and nearly no information to begin with is an absurd waste of time. There's nothing to even interpret, it's just an endless stream of character arguments that would be the same had the game not even been announced yet because we have virtually nothing new to base them on.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"Speculating" for months on end about a game for which we have no news and nearly no information to begin with is an absurd waste of time. There's nothing to even interpret, it's just an endless stream of character arguments that would be the same had the game not even been announced yet because we have virtually nothing new to base them on.
I'm being called out :upsidedown: I agree with you though!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wii Fit Trainer wasn't a wasted slot, and I hope she comes back and keeps her balance from this game.
Fortunately, most people think this way.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Unpopular Opinion #1
Corrin's inclusion angered many people. I myself was not a fan of the decision, but now that he's here, it would be a mistake to remove him based on the fact he's an original newcomer who brings fresh concepts to the table. Corrin is not the cut I think should happen for Fire Emblem.

Unpopular Opinion #2
Sakurai has the right to interpret his own creations in any way he wishes and to add whatever content from his own franchise he deems suitable for Smash Bros. The man poured 3 arduous years of development time into Super Star and he gets criticized for drawing heavily from it. It was his magnum opus and final mainline entry in the series he created, so it stands to reason it would hold a special place in his heart. I get why Halberd, Great Cave Offensive, Fountain of Dreams, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Knuckle Joe and Nightmare are all there, but hardly any of the recent stuff is. I get why every Kirby item is based on his past games. He doesn't have the same connection, or familiarity, with the content that followed his work. Additionally, I feel he's justified in exerting his bias on the Kirby content. That series would be nowhere without him and it relies so heavily on the framework he established during his time with HAL.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
  • I don’t mind last-minute clones. If the roster would’ve stayed exactly the same without them, I have absolutely no idea why people are complaining about them.
  • I hate using series representation as justification for a character getting in. I know it’s an inevitable factor, but it REALLY annoys me.
  • While we are on the topic of representation, I do think that Xenoblade will be the series that gets the major bump up. I expect Shulk, Elma, and Rex and Pyra to be in the BASE roster.
  • I think that Susie has a better shot of being a 2nd Kirby rep, after Bandanna Dee, than Marx.
    Especially after the Star Allies datamine
  • Although I love the guy, I don’t think Waluigi is going to make it in. I know he’s the hunk of Nintendo, but I just don’t see it happening.
  • Despite all the Corrin hate, I do think that the unique moveset makes them better to keep over Roy and Lucina (although I prefer no one gets cut).
  • I don’t see any other Indie characters making it in except for Shovel Knight and Shantae. Just because their game is coming to the Switch (Sans, Papyrus etc.) doesn’t mean that there’s enough justification to put them in Smash.
  • I think that there will be a large jump in 3rd Party representation. I expect 6 new 3rd Party reps to make it into the final. post-DLC roster.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
If Smash for the Switch ends up being a port (that is marketed as a new game) then I will not care for it, nor will I care for the Switch in general and I will drop the idea of ever buying a Switch.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think Geno has a higher chance to make it into Smash as a newcomer than literally any other Mario character right now. I swear I'm not even saying that purely from bias. The Mario side of Smash's roster is getting pretty dang spent, and Geno has more going for him than a lot of people think.

Also, if Bowser Jr. Returns, I'd like him to still have his Clown Car moveset. It was fun. I've never liked Sunshine and have never really seen moveset potential for him outside of the clown car. Especially since the Inklings got the whole "flinging paint everywhere" base covered.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
But that's what makes it fun!

I both love/hate the speculation. No matter how headache inducing you may find others' dream rosters or what have you, the speculation is a fun way to pass the time.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sakurai shouldn't be in charge of anymore Super Smash Bros. titles. He's aware that the "biggest problem was that Cloud is simply too strong. He boasts long reach, plenty of power, and considerable speed. With all those strengths, he’s the perfect fighter." He also has a strange way of balancing characters and acknowledges that Cloud is "easier to use", and regarding Limit, "if [Cloud] did lose his charge after taking damage, that would allow us to make other changes instead. For example, if we made it harder to fill the Limit Gauge, we could make his Special Moves even stronger to compensate. Balancing in extremes makes for a much more exciting game."

Of Bayonetta, combos, and damage, Sakurai said, "Exactly. Depending on how much damage an opponent has accumulated, some attack strings will fall apart midway through. That sort of uncertainty is a key part of what Smash is, so I avoided creating 'true combos' guaranteed to connect under any and all circumstances." Clearly, he has failed avoiding that. If Sakurai decides to bring back this character, he needs to learn more about balancing and stop "balancing in extremes". It doesn't make the game exciting at all. It makes it an unpleasant experience for many.

Nintendo Dream Interview with Sakurai pt. 2

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sakurai shouldn't be in charge of anymore Super Smash Bros. titles. He's aware that the "biggest problem was that Cloud is simply too strong. He boasts long reach, plenty of power, and considerable speed. With all those strengths, he’s the perfect fighter." He also has a strange way of balancing characters and acknowledges that Cloud is "easier to use", and regarding Limit, "if [Cloud] did lose his charge after taking damage, that would allow us to make other changes instead. For example, if we made it harder to fill the Limit Gauge, we could make his Special Moves even stronger to compensate. Balancing in extremes makes for a much more exciting game."

Of Bayonetta, combos, and damage, Sakurai said, "Exactly. Depending on how much damage an opponent has accumulated, some attack strings will fall apart midway through. That sort of uncertainty is a key part of what Smash is, so I avoided creating 'true combos' guaranteed to connect under any and all circumstances." Clearly, he has failed avoiding that. If Sakurai decides to bring back this character, he needs to learn more about balancing and stop "balancing in extremes". It doesn't make the game exciting at all. It makes it an unpleasant experience for many.

Nintendo Dream Interview with Sakurai pt. 2
Agreed. Characters that are "balanced in extremes" are almost always some of the least fun characters to play against (Little Mac, Sonic, Cloud, Bayo as you mentioned, etc.), and if Sakurai is intent on making characters that aren't fun to play against, then frankly, I'd take it if that were to change one way or another.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
-I’m all for the Star Fox series having four playable characters in the roster.(Specifically Fox,Falco, Wolf & Krystal)

-Adding Krystal would be a breath of freash air to the Star Fox character roster in Smash.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Don't know if all of these are unpopular but here I go.

-Animal Crossing doesn't need a new character. :4villager:already represents the series perfectly.

-Kid Icarus isn't overrepped. People only say that because :4darkpit: got added as a clone last minute.

-Hades is the likeliest option for a KI newcomer.

-Eggman would be the best option for a Sonic newcomer.

-Any potential Zelda newcomer, besides maybe Pig Ganon would feel like padding to me.

-I'm in favor of decloning :4ganondorf:... but I want Warlock punch and Flame choke to be kept. I also think his black magic should be prioritized over his sword. He's a wizard after all.

-Any Arms character would be boring to me.

-Rhythm Heaven is currently the unrepped franchise most deserving to get a character.

-Melee physics and exploits should be in the game, but only in Special Smash.

-:4jigglypuff:should never get the axe.

-Miis should stay as they were Sakurai's anwser to requests like Goku and such.

-I'm fine with having many 3rd party characters as long as they aren't literally whos.

-Reps do matter.

-I actually respect Sakurai's opinion on Ridley, tho I don't know if I'm allowed to say that as someone who never played a Metroid.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Cloud 'being a Playstation character' is a fallacious strawman that baffles me in its persisting longevity. It ignores Final Fantasy's legacy to Nintendo & gaming altogether, Cloud's recurrent appearances Nintendo-side (in the flesh or otherwise), & conveniently forgets Snake was a thing.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Smash isn’t built to be competitive and never will be built to be competitive. Removing Sakurai will not change that. Smash fans need to accept this.

Smash fans need to stop treating the games like they’re supposed to be competitive too. It’s not healthy, and it heavily distorts why people think particular things are the way they are. You don’t see speedrunners claiming SM64 or OoT are built for speedrunning... So why do people pretend that Smash is built for competitive play first and foremost?

“Balance the characters for 1v1s and FFA balance will fall into place” and “FFA balance doesn’t matter, it’s too random” are complete bull**** statements.

Somebody will take this the wrong way, I assure you... If I wasn’t INB4 then it would be within an hour.

AngryLittleYoshi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1864-8605-7436
Smash isn’t built to be competitive and never will be built to be competitive. Removing Sakurai will not change that. Smash fans need to accept this.

Smash fans need to stop treating the games like they’re supposed to be competitive too. It’s not healthy, and it heavily distorts why people think particular things are the way they are. You don’t see speedrunners claiming SM64 or OoT are built for speedrunning... So why do people pretend that Smash is built for competitive play first and foremost?

“Balance the characters for 1v1s and FFA balance will fall into place” and “FFA balance doesn’t matter, it’s too random” are complete bull**** statements.

Somebody will take this the wrong way, I assure you... If I wasn’t INB4 then it would be within an hour.
I agree.

I swear to the lord above, Smash Bros. was marketed as a party fighting game. I'm not saying we should forget competitive Smash but at this point, we're four - soon to be five games - into this series and it seems people are taking Smash a bit too seriously. I mean, how have we strayed this far away from the original intent of the series? Sakurai wanted it to be a fighting game everyone can jump in and play, regardless of skill level.

That's my two cents. Respond if you must.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It’s less that people are taking it too seriously and more that they expect Sakurai to make anything and everything for them. I would want a somewhat more competitive game but I don’t expect it, and I certainly don’t expect any sort of Melee 2 from Nintendo ever.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
"There's no point in making the game more balanced if it decreases the fun factor."

That sentence up there is a quote of Sakurai's. I have a problem with it though, I want this fun factor thing gone. What even is "fun factor" supposed to mean, other than his own subjective ideas of what is fun and what isn't? Hypothetically, if Sakurai found Sheik to be more fun then the rest of the cast, he could have veto'ed the most vital nerfs every time the rest of the balance team went after her for the sake of the fun factor, and that would conveniently explain why it was only in patch 1.1.5 that Sheik was finally brought down to a reasonable level, you know, the patch that came right AFTER Sakurai took his break, after 1.0.4 and before 1.1.5 Sheik pretty much just got a bunch of spread out changes that happened every now and then and equated to being slapped on the wrist on their own, and this went on for 11 patches despite Sheik being perceived as the best character in tournament play pretty much forever, it's kind of crazy. I think it's likely that he A. actually understands why certain members of the strongest and weakest performing characters are unbalanced and simply refuses to nerf/buff them in a meaningful way because he finds them as "fun" as they could be in their current state, or B. if he doesn't understand why those characters aren't balanced he might be incompetent when it comes to balancing , and since I don't think he's incompetent I'm going to assume option A. is correct.

I want someone who'd be willing to buff their least favorite character/s to play against and severely nerf their favorites if that'd make the game more balanced overall, it shouldn't matter how fun one person finds them. I want someone who'd be willing to make decisions that go against their own personal thoughts on the game's balance if tournament results for characters indicate their thoughts on character X or Y weren't completely accurate, and I don't really care whether or not that person ends up being Sakurai or someone else, I just want as much subjectivity gone as possible.

TLDR: The fun factor is evil and shouldn't have ever been a part of Smash's balancing. :4jigglypuff:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
- Jigglypuff should stay in Smash forever.
- Smash 64 is the best game in the franchise and the most fun.
- I don't really care how many reps a series gets. As long as they're fun to play I'm fine.
- Melee's Adventure Mode is very boring.
- Melee and Brawl are fairly boring to play compared to 64 and Sm4sh.
- Meta Crystal and Magicant are the best stages in the series.
- Fox is a very boring character to play and fight against.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
- Bayonetta and Corrin should be removed
- Roy should stay and never be cut ever again
- Melee is the worst of the series
- The whole who is the next Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/Fire Emblem characters seemed forced

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Third party franchises should get the same consideration for music as the core Nintendo IPs. In Smash 4, only Mega Man seemed like a lot of work went into the music. Sonic got a couple new songs but no new remixes, Pac-Man had more music ripped from old Namco games than be did his own series, Street Fighter had a bunch of versions of just two themes, and Final Fantasy VII... well...

I get that a lot of this likely has to do with dealing with the gatekeepers of these franchises, and limitations that they may put on the Smash team, but it's a shame. Sonic and Final Fantasy in particular are series known for their rich musical legacies, and I just want to see Smash reflect that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom