• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The correct answer here is they're both echoes of Link, seriously Sakurai's definition of Echo is silly. Yes I know he made them but still, his distinctions are bizarre and make no sense.
It's really not when it comes down to the fact that he made Echoes as characters that share the same skeleton at the end of the day. So the likes of Toon Link and Young Link would never fit on Link anyway in proper form (Which I why I suspect they also exist independently from each other too). The only character who doesn't fit in the proper place with how Sakurai approached Echo fighters is Dr. Mario. And again, he's been grandfathered in as the Melee veteran with more properties assigned over time to make him increasingly semi-clone like. His internal logic makes sense, people just want Echoes to apply to all the clones for some reason... (What does it hurt if they have a unique number or spot? They're in the game and less effort than unique characters as clones, you're not going to magically get a ton of characters from removing clone fighters who change up play styles to the point where several of them are basically unique...)

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't believe in the DLC leak at all, and I never would have suggested a Granblue Phantasy character because there's plenty of characters I'd prefer that seem more likely, but I am so onboard if they added Katalina.

Steve from Minecraft is wack. I don't care how much that game sold, it was boring as heck to me and he's the least hype character I can think of, 3rd party or otherwise. I don't even want him as a spirit. Stay away. Please.

All 3 Links are perfect as is. They represent the Zelda timeline and each Link perfectly. I don't care if they're similar (although I liked the custom move differences between the Links in Smash 4... Gosh, I wish customs were still around in general).

Apparently Dark Samus is totally silent. Cool; I had no idea. Although they didn't make her super different, the subtleties are brilliant.

Elma > Rex and Pyra. Xenoblade X desperately needs some love, Sakurai.

Being an assist trophy is quite the honor. I understand some people's disappointment, but assist trophy status is still worth celebrating over.

Jigglypuff still has sound clips from the first Smash Bros. Please give her at least one new thing to say or grunt or something. I don't even use her, but at least change that if you aren't going to buff her lol. And on the subject of Jigs, I don't get why people always think she should get cut.

Game needs an optional female announcer.

You can never have too many Fire Emblem characters.

Style Savvy rep > Geno. Or anyone else for that matter. I pray both Nintendo and Smash fans come to their senses one day and realize how much this needs to happen. I can and will explain, if necessary... for the thousandth time.

I have what I call fighting etiquette. If an opponent accidentally self destructs, I do so to balance it out, if possible. If an opponent misses a risky move like rest or taunts and leaves themselves wide open, I wait instead of punishing them. I also avoid being toxic in general. I'm sure honor has cost me matches, but it's worth it.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Toon and Young have different moves from each other that they both can't be the echo; such as their airs, T-Link's new F-smash,
Toon Link and Young Link (henceforth T and Y, vs. Link as L) have different models with different hurtboxes

T has a unique F-smash, while Y has the same basic movement as L

T had a single hit U-smash, while Y has the three hit U-smash like L

T had unique f-air, b-air and n-air, while Y's were similar to L's

T had a stall-and-fall d-air, while Y's was similar to L's

Y has a jab infinite, while T and L have had fairly similar jab combos (although since L's final hit was changed, they may be less similar now)

Y has fire arrows, unlike L neither has item arrows that can be used for double shot arrows

Presumably each bow has different speed and trajectory properties as well

Y and T's bombs have slightly different properties (obviously L's bombs are quite different now)

Presumably they will have at least slightly different weight and speed and range (sword and Hookshot length)

Presumably they will have different damage and knockback properties on their various moves

M

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: I don't understand why some people are convinced that assist trophies still have a chance at being a fighter. Yes, I understand, it sucks when your most wanted gets shafted in AT hell, but seriously. That's the most they're going to get this game.

There were a finite number of fighters to begin with, and now we have an extremely limited number of DLC fighters, who have already been chosen before the game is even out. They're not going to use up one of those five DLC spots for a fighter who is already well represented in Smash, and they're not going to begin flipping over the way assist trophies and DLC works before the game is even out yet.

I'm sorry, but AT's just aren't going to be fighters this time. It hurts to say it, but....better luck next time.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Unpopular: I don't understand why some people are convinced that assist trophies still have a chance at being a fighter. Yes, I understand, it sucks when your most wanted gets shafted in AT hell, but seriously. That's the most they're going to get this game.

There were a finite number of fighters to begin with, and now we have an extremely limited number of DLC fighters, who have already been chosen before the game is even out. They're not going to use up one of those five DLC spots for a fighter who is already well represented in Smash, and they're not going to begin flipping over the way assist trophies and DLC works before the game is even out yet.

I'm sorry, but AT's just aren't going to be fighters this time. It hurts to say it, but....better luck next time.
Eh, there will likely be a Wave 2 (and quite possibly a Wave 3 — maybe even a Wave 4), and Assist Trophies may have a shot at being promoted to playable there. For the currently-announced Fighter Pass? Yeah, it's definitely not happening.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
While Spirits could be one of those modes you don't expect to like only to suddenly be hooked by it, I dread that its creation came at the expense of series staples like Home Run Contest, trophies, mini-games etc. I would have loved to have seen a return of Smash Run as a multiplayer party option especially since the Switch is the perfect platform for that concept. I know Smash is first and foremost a multiplayer game, but I fear Ultimate may be the lightest game in terms of single player content. Like I said, trophies are gone so all we collect are spirits, there is no fun snapshot mode, no event matches...

Of course I could be wrong and they are in the game, but since all the talk was on Spirits, my guess is that Sakurai and crew are banking on that game mode to be not just the main single player component but also excuse the absence of classic modes.
I don’t think Spirits was the reason Trophies being cut, but rather the other way around. I think Spirits was the result of them deciding trophies won’t be returning but Sakurai and the team still wanted something to be kind of similar.
Also Spirits are event matches. There’s two separate modes for Spirits, the World of Light and also one where you just unlock the Spirits. The second mode is just event matches with a different reward.
Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, just thought I’d add my two cents

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don’t think Spirits was the reason Trophies being cut, but rather the other way around. I think Spirits was the result of them deciding trophies won’t be returning but Sakurai and the team still wanted something to be kind of similar.
Also Spirits are event matches. There’s two separate modes for Spirits, the World of Light and also one where you just unlock the Spirits. The second mode is just event matches with a different reward.
Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, just thought I’d add my two cents
The Spirit Board mode feels more like Special Orders to me, with a bit of Event Matches mixed in (Spirit Board battles appear to be semi-randomized). World of Light feels more like a fusion of SSE-style Adventure Mode and Event Matches proper (with the matches being fully pre-determined) (and, yes, I have to say “SSE-style” because Melee's Adventure Mode was a very different kind of experience from the Subspace Emissary).

To get back to the subject of unpopular opinions, it appears that I'm the only one who’s noticed that Spirits Mode is a successor to Special Orders just as much as it's a successor to Event Matches. Everyone else seems to be more into the Event Matches comparison, and I can't help noticing that the way Spirit battles work is extremely similar to Smash 4’s Special Orders, especially Master Orders — they're quick, semi-randomized battles for loot. Again, this applies to the Spirit Board more than World of Light — that mode is clearly drawing more from Event Matches.

Last edited:
Not so much of an unpopular opinion (let alone an opinion for that matter). But I really miss those art illustrations to promote any newcomers. So far, in Ultimate's case, only the Splatoon Inklings:ultinkling: have one, even then I'm not 100% certain if it counts. I understand if Echo characters don't receive one at all but what about the likes of Ridley:ultridley:, King K. Rool:ultkrool:, Simon Belmont:ultsimon: and such?

I really enjoy the illustration pieces because it is mostly done in a different art style and bonus points if it is done by the original artist of that respective franchise of that character. But I guess it really boils down to it may take up too much time and effort to do, I mean Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in general is one colossal effort so I can't blame them for the lack of promo art pieces.
That or it's a Super Smash Bros. 4 exclusive kind of thing. A part of me thinks that to make up for the loss they made a gigantic character mural and that alone is impressive and satisfying to look at.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
On the topic of Ridley's Down B
Every time this move is brought up, people are either saying:

"OMG, this move does so much damage, it takes you to kill percent in one hit and sets you up for a tech chase, it's so broken, NERF!"

Or

"Ugh, this move so slow and can't combo and you'll never land it, needs a buff."

I just think Ridley's Down-B will just be an okay move.
It'll be situational and hard to use but will have really good reward, the move's two extremes will balance it out.

Not everything is Black and White.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Incineroar's inclusion isn't justified from a Pokemon-representation standpoint. I feel that another unique ballot character should have included instead of him. Ridley is in partly because of the ire from SSB4, Inklings/Isabelle were likely getting in regardless, and I sincerely doubt that Simon/Chrom/Dark Samus cracked the worldwide top 15. K. Rool is the only character who was chosen solely because of the ballot, but he can't carry it on his own.

Steve is going to be an incredible newcomer. I will enjoy piercing my opponents with my diamond sword, then finishing them off with a bucket of lava. I have been playing Minecraft since 2011, but I'm also excited for him because of the reactions it'll stir.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not sure if this one is unpopular, so much as divided (I have no clue how many people have thought of the idea) but....I'll say it anyway: a Team Fortress 2 newcomer (additionally serving as a third-party newcomer from Valve) would be amazing in all kinds of ways.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I don't care about the newcomers until they has been shown. All I really want is Ice Climbers.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not sure if this one is unpopular, so much as divided (I have no clue how many people have thought of the idea) but....I'll say it anyway: a Team Fortress 2 newcomer (additionally serving as a third-party newcomer from Valve) would be amazing in all kinds of ways.
M E M E S

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
If possible, the dev team should either bundle Assist Trophies with the DLC fighters or add them for free so fans of obscure characters can be thrown a bone. Geno should be an Assist Trophy as well because he is as significant to the Mario franchise as Vivian from TTYD.

Most of the DLC fighters will likely be third-party and that is far better than mostly first-party characters.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unpopular opinion: While I feel most of the DLC will be 3rd party. I personally would like mostly 1st party which I feel is far better than more 3rd party additions.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion: While I feel most of the DLC will be 3rd party. I personally would like mostly 1st party which I feel is far better than more 3rd party additions.
Doesn't that depend on the characters? A lot of people would prefer Geno to Edelgard for example.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Eh, there will likely be a Wave 2 (and quite possibly a Wave 3 — maybe even a Wave 4), and Assist Trophies may have a shot at being promoted to playable there. For the currently-announced Fighter Pass? Yeah, it's definitely not happening.
My only thing with this is I can't see them basically removing an item from the game. The DLC and updates will most likely exclusively be additive, so to lower the number of assist trophies or remove really cool unique programming from the game seems unlikely to me. They could make it so that the ATs are still in and don't show when a character is on... But at this point if those characters are already ATs they probably want to work on different characters.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Everybody who wants some last hype characters in the direct because it's the 'biggest' Smash game is just hoping at best. This is Nintendo's game, and they have an say on the characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, so Marth and Roy can now speak English, and Ike receives voice clip changes. And yet, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still don't have their typical voice actors. That just doesn't feel right, especially considering that hardly any of the Pokemon sound like real world animals.

Not sure if this is an unpopular input, but I just don't get why someone like Bowser has to sound like Godzilla, while Bowser Jr. gets to keep his typical voice clips from the Super Mario series. This isn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl after all.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Okay, so Marth and Roy can now speak English, and Ike receives voice clip changes. And yet, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still don't have their typical voice actors. That just doesn't feel right, especially considering that hardly any of the Pokemon sound like real world animals.

Not sure if this is an unpopular input, but I just don't get why someone like Bowser has to sound like Godzilla, while Bowser Jr. gets to keep his typical voice clips from the Super Mario series. This isn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl after all.
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong having voice lines could probably take away the magic of Smash. You can also see how both's personality are still strongly visible. Bowser should absolutely speak because its a legitimate portion of his personality that still has potential to be explored.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong and Bowser had those voices before Brawl.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm kinda happy that Geno didn't make it for the sole sake of making speculation for the next Smash more fun. This time around, so many people were saying that Geno had to be in and that's because Sakurai and fans want him. Anyone saying that Geno didn't have a great chance was usually shut down by others saying that they were missing signs.

Next time around, nobody is a safe bet. People shouting "This has to be Geno's time- Sakurai knows it" can be pointed at Ultimate. Sure, we might get hin as DLC or next time, but at least people will stop assuming that certain characters are shoo-ins.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm kinda happy that Geno didn't make it for the sole sake of making speculation for the next Smash more fun. This time around, so many people were saying that Geno had to be in and that's because Sakurai and fans want him. Anyone saying that Geno didn't have a great chance was usually shut down by others saying that they were missing signs.

Next time around, nobody is a safe bet. People shouting "This has to be Geno's time- Sakurai knows it" can be pointed at Ultimate. Sure, we might get hin as DLC or next time, but at least people will stop assuming that certain characters are shoo-ins.
As much as I agree, you know people will latch on to some "lock" characters after DLC starts.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-People are allowed to be angry/sad/disappointed and critical about their most demanded characters not getting in, we’re customers for a reason. I know not everyone can be pleased but let disappointed fans cool off.

-There should more new stages and less returning ones next time.

-No offense to Shantae supporters but she never really had chance to begin with, WayFoward and YachtGames Club were incredibly happy to see them at all. That alone should be a message that would be extremely difficult for Indie developers to make deals with professional mainstream developers to have their characters planned, programmed, and made from scratch to be fully playable in a massive AAA produced title.

-You know what? I’m getting sick of characters like Mario, Peach, Wario etc having the same recycled voice clips since Brawl. It’s time by next by Smash that everyone gets brand new voice clips

-ZSS and Sheik should’ve been went back to transformations like Charizard did.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
-Chrom and Black Knight should have swapped roles (Black Knight playable, Chrom Assist Trophy or still just a Final Smash).
-Isabelle didn't need a promotion and was fine as an Assist Trophy (also her fanbase is annoying, but I usually have a disdain for fanbases that worship their characters as perfect beings that can do no wrong).
-7 Echo Fighters is bizarre and it really feels like one is missing.
-Spirits are actually a really fun and genius idea. It combines multiple past components into one great big mode that'll be a huge timesink for lone players, avoiding the issues that plagued SSE and whatever content For had to offer.
-The Sonic series deserves a second representative for sticking with Smash longer than any other 3rd party (and also a non-Hill stage)
-While Incineroar looks fun, he doesn't add any new Pokemon types that weren't represented already and I would have preferred more new types to appear. And I say this as someone who's never touched a Pokemon game before.
-I appreciate FE Echoes music being included, but Those Who Challenge Gods was a poor pick. Just hoping Twilight of the Gods is in.
-The developers need to recalibrate their priorities if known top-tiers like Diddy Kong and Pikachu are receiving buffs while Samus remains the same disappointment she's almost always been.
-Some characters are in dire need of new voice clips. Bowser also needs Kenny James back, he's the only Mario character without his proper voice and it's horribly inconsistent, especially when Junior and the Koopalings all retain theirs. Smash is big enough that it should be a union project, don't know why it's still non-union (could be for reasons beyond my understanding though).
-Master Chief does not belong in Smash, for he exclusively represents a rival company's console and will never make a proper Nintendo appearance (Minecraft skin does not count).
-If the next Smash is a reboot, I'd like to see fat trimmed. Take out stuff like Dr. Mario, the extra Links, Pokemon who are no longer mainstream, and maybe slice out an FE character like Roy. Also add completely new stages that are more accurate and faithful to their series.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion

Real talk. What veteran Smash fan will still speculate 10 years from now? A see a completely new generational wave of Smash fans into speculation by then.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Real talk. What veteran Smash fan will still speculate 10 years from now? A see a completely new generational wave of Smash fans into speculation by then.
I think most people from the Brawl and most particularly Melee's speculation day's may have moved on for the most part by then (or at least, taking a bit more of a backseat in terms of speculation) as most of the widely speculated and demanded characters from those era's have made it in more or less apart from a few stragglers here and there. Most of the speculation community from the Smash 4 and Ultimate era will probably still be around though.

But then again, there are still some fans that are still around from those very early days of Smash speculation.

Still, It would be interesting to see how speculation will go come next Smash and what's popular then.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think most people from the Brawl and most particularly Melee's speculation day's may have moved on for the most part by then (or at least, taking a bit more of a backseat in terms of speculation) as most of the widely speculated and demanded characters from those era's have made it in more or less apart from a few stragglers here and there. Most of the speculation community from the Smash 4 and Ultimate era will probably still be around though.

But then again, there are still some fans that are still around from those very early days of Smash speculation.

Still, It would be interesting to see how speculation will go come next Smash and what's popular then.
I've been playing Smash since the N64 original. I was 5 at the time of it's release. I always wanted K.Rool since Melee. But I didn't start HARDCORE speculating until Smash 4. Yeah I use to check the Brawl dojo every night but I wasn't posting on forums speculating every day until Smash 4. While too many people I haven't been speculating THAT long. To ME it feels like I've been speculating since the Melee days. Now that :ultkrool: and :ultridley: have made it and Krystal made it as an assist trophy. The only other character I truly care about making it is Dixie Kong and sadly if she is not added through the fighter pass, I'm not sticking around in speculation for a potential future Smash game for one character. Hell Ultimate looks so jam packed and full of stages/characters and the fact by the time the next Smash rolls around I'll be in my 30's and not sure how long I'll remain gaming for by that point means that yes Ultimate is probably my last Smash game. So yes it's time for the young bloods to take over to vote for their Fortnite Guys, Freddy Fazbears, Steve from Minecrafts, Bendy's, and whatever other 3rd party pick is relevant by then.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As someone who grew up with a Nintendo 64 and played both Banjo Tooie and Super Mario RPG, I have no attachment to Banjo or Geno and couldn't care less if they got in or not. I say this because I'm tired of certain supporters trying to paint the entire Smash community with a single stroke. They act like EVERYONE wants Geno and EVERYONE wants Banjo-Kazooie while NOBODY wants Steve from Minecraft. "If you want Steve in Smash, you're underage!" Well nope. That's not true at all and I'm living proof of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom