• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Don't tell me a character is "highly requested." Tell me if YOU want the character in.

If it really is highly requested, then I'll see a bunch of people saying they want that one in.

Don't act like you support a character just because you've heard other people say that lots of people want them in.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
This isn't so much an unpopular opinion as it is one I just haven't heard anyone talking about. Wait, that's what unpopular means...

Bimmy and Jimmy from off of the Double Dragon series seem like they could have been in Smash. I don't really want them, but I think they would fit. That was a really popular NES game kind of like Castlevania and Mega Man.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
I haven't played the game yet myself but I'm 90% sure I'll prefer the Pro Controller over the GameCube controller. And this is coming from someone who's been playing Smash since Melee first released. Yes, I'm a heretic. The GameCube controllers are just too small for my adult hands and the triggers being analog/pressure sensitive made it difficult to time power shields appropriately in Smash 4 so I opted to use the Pro Controllers from that point forward. Using the Pro Controller with its strictly on/off input design feels so much more responsive. Granted, the Wii U Pro Controllers were a little wonky with their asinine face button placement, but since they've gone back to the traditional layout with the Switch version, I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more this time around.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nintendo picking DLC murders Geno completely
This really isn't unpopular. Look around, and you'll see people giving up on Geno left and right because of a couple tweets.
Of course, I don't think that could be further from the truth. There's an unpopular opinion for you.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Not really unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure where people got the idea that character being popular suddenly means that they'll have a boring move-set.

Even though it won't happen, I wouldn't mind if all of the DLC characters were third-party characters. I feel like Nintendo has really blown through all of their all-stars, and as others have pointed out, I just don't see the likes Bandana Dee, or Dixie Kong being incredibly exciting inclusions.

I know clones are low-effort inclusions, but I still don't like them. It feels like they just muddy up the roster, and are there just to pad things out. On top of that, some of the clone characters have the potential to be unique & seeing them as clones just makes them seem untrue to the character. Like, I don't much about Metroid, but what happened to those energy balls that Dark Samus used in her assist trophy during 4, or those tentacle things she could spawn from the ground?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Aside from music from newcomer franchises like Castlevania and Splatoon, i'm not really feeling this game's soundtrack, there's too many redundant and repetitive remixes and several games with amazing OSTs with nothing at all.
Its been like that since Smash 4. I feel like the soundtrack focuses too much on modernizing, its ok to but, throw in some good ol' non remixed battle themes, to. I noticed that Smash is overshadowed with Overworld type themes, originally not something you want to fight to.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I just don't get with the plant. It looks fun and all, but just......WHY? sURE, wtf characters and all that but WHY thisthing?

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
I am happy with the content as is... Mind-blowing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm disappointed in :ultlink:.

If we had :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:, there's no reason as to why :ultlink: couldn't distance himself further by having stuff such as Revali's Gale + Glider as a recovery, Stasis, or other various items and gimmicks you can find in BoTW as attacks. Even Link aiming his bow downwards when airborne would've been great. The only thing they really did use is the Remote Bomb, but that's about it. He's just TP Link that traded Gale Boomerang for a mobile C4.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t know if it’s super unpopular or not, but I really really dislike custom moves and hate when people bring them up as something that should be in the game.

It’s entirely a personal dislike as I just dislike anything that results in a custom fighter, Miis and custom move characters. They feel cheap and not well thought out to me, and they just require so much tinkering to try to get things right/feeling even remotely decent.

Which does make me concerned for Spirits that it’ll be more of the same sitting around in menus to get something decent to work and just not being all that enjoyable because I’m spending more time in the menus and such...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Its been like that since Smash 4. I feel like the soundtrack focuses too much on modernizing, its ok to but, throw in some good ol' non remixed battle themes, to. I noticed that Smash is overshadowed with Overworld type themes, originally not something you want to fight to.
I don't even mind if they put music from new games, games like BotW and SMO have really good OSTs worthy of representation, but i don't need 12 remixes of Jungle Hijinx, SMB Overworld, TLoZ Main Theme, etc. Castlevania is a good example on an actual good music selection from a variety of games in that series, games like DKC2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade X have fantastic OSTs yet barely any of them in Smash.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Pointing out that copy-pasting the internet's opinion as your own is the laziest, most reactionary thought process imaginable and not even worth taking into consideration is not the same as deluding yourself that defending Nintendo a noble and just cause.

Advertisement characters are dumb, yes, but vouching for "pOpUlAr ReQuEsTs" is not an acceptable alternative.

The decision of "who gets into Smash Bros" is not a democratic one.
Hooooly crap, I was being ironic, that's why I posted a TCC video and not an Angry Joe one.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
While I agree with the redundancy part (don't care about the OP part as I'm not a major competitive player). I liked it MUCH better in Brawl when ZSS would transform from Samus and Sheik with Zelda. I also feel the same way with Dr. Mario. I HATE characters that are the same character taking up multiple slots. Link too but at least in Link's defense every Link is technically a different character (even if I personally hate that we have 3 separate Link's on the roster).
Catching up on the thread, so, sorry for the late reply. But I don't see how in the hell there being three different Links and them all belonging to different games then doesn't immediately give justification for Shiek as well. All the Zelda incarnations are different characters as well and Link Between Worlds Zelda has absolutely nothing to do with Shiek in the least bit. They're representing completely different things and completely different characters too.

And at least in the cases of Shiek and Zero Suit Samus they bring a unique play style to the game, at least more so than basically any other dual slot character. Zelda plays nothing like Shiek and shouldn't really be tethered to her in the name of giving proper diversity. I don't know, I hate the transformation mechanic more than just about anything, so that's coloring my response a little. Especially when Zero Suit Samus was chained to regular Samus and wouldn't even show up without the use of a final Smash...

I just don't know if I really buy the slots thing. Dr. Mario, sure should probably just be an Echo, but the rest of them do play unique which I don't see as a bad thing...

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
While Spirits could be one of those modes you don't expect to like only to suddenly be hooked by it, I dread that its creation came at the expense of series staples like Home Run Contest, trophies, mini-games etc. I would have loved to have seen a return of Smash Run as a multiplayer party option especially since the Switch is the perfect platform for that concept. I know Smash is first and foremost a multiplayer game, but I fear Ultimate may be the lightest game in terms of single player content. Like I said, trophies are gone so all we collect are spirits, there is no fun snapshot mode, no event matches...

Of course I could be wrong and they are in the game, but since all the talk was on Spirits, my guess is that Sakurai and crew are banking on that game mode to be not just the main single player component but also excuse the absence of classic modes.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Doomguy's chances are really overrated as a Bethesda rep, to be honest. I believe that if Bethesda were to push for a playable character in Smash, they would go for Dovahkiin over Doomguy any day of the week, because TES is their baby while Doom is an IP they only just happened to acquire less than ten years ago. There's also the matter of Japanese popularity; The Elder Scrolls, and Skyrim in particular, is vastly more popular in Japan than Doom is, as it boasts a thriving modding community and a hefty fan translation for Morrowind which was never officially released over there.

Not that I would mind Doom in Smash, mind you, but I'm just really skeptical on it appearing in Smash before Elder Scrolls content in general.

Tommo2304

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not but I think the Stage Morph feature seems quite pointless and, if the notion is true that we lost stages like Orbital Gate Assault because of it, I'd have rather had the stages.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played the game yet myself but I'm 90% sure I'll prefer the Pro Controller over the GameCube controller. And this is coming from someone who's been playing Smash since Melee first released. Yes, I'm a heretic. The GameCube controllers are just too small for my adult hands and the triggers being analog/pressure sensitive made it difficult to time power shields appropriately in Smash 4 so I opted to use the Pro Controllers from that point forward. Using the Pro Controller with its strictly on/off input design feels so much more responsive. Granted, the Wii U Pro Controllers were a little wonky with their asinine face button placement, but since they've gone back to the traditional layout with the Switch version, I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more this time around.
I know I prefer the pro controller over the GC controller. So you aren't alone. While there is nothing inherently wrong with the GC controller, I just prefer the Switch Pro controller. One of my favorite controllers ever.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Smash isn't just about All-Stars. I think the less popular, out of left field picks (IE Retro Reps, Shulk, MOTHER) are just as important.

Objectively, from a game design standpoint, Smash is a bad game that hasn't grown beyond its 2nd installment.

Also I'm totally going with my Pro Controller this time around too, Since I put my WiiU up I've been playing Smash with either a PS4 controller or my 3DS so I've kinda lost touch with my GC Controller.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Forgot to add to my last post: Smash should prioritize adding in characters from new series over adding in big characters from already represented series. Shulk being in Smash got me to play Xenoblade and Ness got me to play MOTHER, and I love both those series a lot. Hell, I doubt I'd have ever played Metroid without Samus being in Smash.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
This may qualify as an unpopular opinion, but Arlo (yes, the Nintendo puppet YouTuber that looks like a mix of Grover and Cookie Monster) stated that the inclusion of Piranha Plant means that ANYONE can literally make it in Smash and that you don't need to be a super mega requested hype character to be part of the roster.

I have very mixed feelings about that train of thought. On one hand, I understand where he is coming from as Piranha Plant does open the floodgates to many characters coming in and that there is no need for every fighter to be super mega hype characters. It allows the team to experiment with character choices and may create a very unique, varied and fun roster in the process...

ON THE OTHER HAND...

When Arlo said that, he seemed to have forgotten that even if Ultimate has an incredible roster, there are still many characters that are highly requested and were either forgotten or relegated to Assist Trophies. If Piranha Plant can be made into a fighter so can Isaac. And yes, I know I am beating on a dead horse here, but the problem with Assist Trophies I feel is that they are not balanced. Like you have some characters that ARE built for being assist characters (like Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Chibi Robo) or to be a nuisance like enemy characters (like Kremlings etc.). Yet ATs include characters like Isaac, Shadow, Spring Man and, yes, even Waluigi, that CAN be turned into full fledged fighters with enough ingenuity. So the whole "the character doesn't have enough to be a fighter" is dead when they made Pirahna Plant, a character that screams Assist Trophy/Item into a fighter.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I love Arlo but I can think of another counterpoint to that: Piranha Plant might just be a generic enemy, but it's a super recognizable one from Mario. I could never imagine one of the non-titular alien mooks from Metroid getting in.

Don't tell me a character is "highly requested." Tell me if YOU want the character in.
I like this mindset. It's annoying when a character gets popular purely because of the bandwagon effect, or because the fans have been conditioned to think that they should want this character (Chrom...).

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Smash Meter not being designed around competitive play makes it a pointless inclusion.
Not really...in ffa's it gives everyone an opportunity to use their final smash instead of having to chase down the smash ball. Imagine 8 player smash and only one or two players are able to get the smash ball (possibly because of the characters they are using or skill level).

And seeing some ffa gameplay it can make the matches more chaotic since you'll several FS's going off one after another, which some people enjoy in casual play.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Honestly, I'm beginning to question the viability of having Assist Trophies at all. It reeks of "sEpErAtE bUt EqUaL" bull**** whenever it gets brought up, with only the select few (:ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:) ever climbing out of that snake pit of utter nonsense.

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Honestly, I'm beginning to question the viability of having Assist Trophies at all. It reeks of "sEpErAtE bUt EqUaL" bull**** whenever it gets brought up, with only the select few (:ultlittlemac::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:) ever climbing out of that snake pit of utter nonsense.
That is what I am saying; on paper, the concept of Assist Trophies is great on paper because it allows characters that are either merely assist characters in their games or have very limited potential to be in the game and be helpful. Hence why characters like the Arcade Bunny, Nintendog, Hammer Bro, Lakitu etc. are excellent because they work as they are intended; they assist or they can be a nuisance.

And yet, you have characters like Takamaru, Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid, Shovel Knight, Spring Man etc. that can make great fighters but are relegated to just doing that, and it does feel like a slap to the face to those that wanted them in. For the record, I am not upset at the final roster or even final character choices, but the ATs are very unbalanced and feel like a runner up prize.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm so damn lucky I've never experienced one of my favorites getting ATed. One of these days though...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly, I'm beginning to question the viability of having Assist Trophies at all. It reeks of "sEpErAtE bUt EqUaL" bull**** whenever it gets brought up, with only the select few (:ultlittlemac::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:) ever climbing out of that snake pit of utter nonsense.
There are 59 assist trophies in Ultimate, a good number of them could be made into fighters. There's a lot of extra work that would go into making all of those characters into fighters ON TOP of all of the veterans and newcomers already being added to the roster which would have the roster well over 100 fighters.

Sometimes a consolation prize is the least he can do for many of these characters.

What I don't like about Assists is that it seemingly puts them out of contention for future consideration for DLC as we see in Smash 4, but then again we don't know how different DLC will be treated this time but of course its best not to hold our breath.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
There's a lot of extra work that would go into making all of those characters into fighters ON TOP of all of the veterans and newcomers already being added to the roster which would have the roster well over 100 fighters. Sometimes a consolation prize is the least he can do for many of these characters.
True, but with the way people react with such disdain to characters getting shelved off to AT, I'm wondering if maybe the consolation isn't worth it/isn't working.

What I don't like about Assists is that it seemingly puts them out of contention for future consideration for DLC as we see in Smash 4, but then again we don't know how different DLC will be treated this time but of course its best not to hold our breath.
Exactly my point.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
There are 59 assist trophies in Ultimate, a good number of them could be made into fighters. There's a lot of extra work that would go into making all of those characters into fighters ON TOP of all of the veterans and newcomers already being added to the roster which would have the roster well over 100 fighters.

Sometimes a consolation prize is the least he can do for many of these characters.

The real issue IS that it seemingly puts them out of the DLC running. Besides, these assists must take a decent amount of work to make, chopping most of them could free up dev resources for another character. Speaking of, another hot take:

Everyone Is Here was a bad idea. Ice Climbers and Snake were the only worthwhile returning characters, Wolf would be good if Falco was cut from Melee on like he should have been, but too much dev time was spent basically making newcomers that had none of the hype of newcomers. Also, we shouldn't have even introduced the concept of Echoes is A) the returning clones aren't considered Echoes and B) we only got new ones and 3 vets in that 'class.'

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
The real issue IS that it seemingly puts them out of the DLC running. Besides, these assists must take a decent amount of work to make, chopping most of them could free up dev resources for another character. Speaking of, another hot take:

Everyone Is Here was a bad idea. Ice Climbers and Snake were the only worthwhile returning characters, Wolf would be good if Falco was cut from Melee on like he should have been, but too much dev time was spent basically making newcomers that had none of the hype of newcomers. Also, we shouldn't have even introduced the concept of Echoes is A) the returning clones aren't considered Echoes and B) we only got new ones and 3 vets in that 'class.'
Two vets, actually. Dark Pit and Lucina. I actually quite like Echoes because thanks to the concept, I now know for a fact that Dr. Mario and Toon Link are wasting actual development resources, whereas the Echo Fighters aren't.

As for "Everyone is Here" is a bad idea, I said it jokingly but I do have a feeling that Nintendo probably had to, in some way, "guilt trip" Konami into giving them Snake back. By making a big screaming deal out of it, Sakurai practically guaranteed that Konami would get blasted to ****ing pieces if they said no to Snake. So while it means having to put up with Three Links, Three Foxes, Two Marios, Pikachu but Worse, Fire Corrin, and The OCD-Triggerer 9000 wasting everyone's time, I'd say that's a fair price to pay to have Snake and Mii Fighters in the same game.

Another benefit to "Everyone is Here" was that it meant not having to be stressed over cuts.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
*Fire Marth.

*Wolf wasn't an clone, and people like him, (Sorry but I just wanna say something)

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
*Fire Marth.
Am I wrong? Smash 4 tried to play historical revisionism by attempting to declone Roy, but unlike Luigi and Ganondorf the changes just aren't enough, meaning Roy is condemned to the same ugly hellhole Dr. Mario is in where they're unique enough to take up actual resources but not enough for us to give a ****.

*Wolf wasn't an clone, and people like him, (Sorry but I just wanna say something)
No, but he was a semiclone. A semiclone that has every right to be in Smash more then Falco, mind you, and a semiclone that does a great job in distinguishing itself from the original akin to Luigi, Isabelle, Ganondorf, and either Toon Link or Young Link (Not both. Either make one of 'em an Echo Fighter of the other or scrap one of 'em), but a semiclone nonetheless.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Two vets, actually. Dark Pit and Lucina. I actually quite like Echoes because thanks to the concept, I now know for a fact that Dr. Mario and Toon Link are wasting actual development resources, whereas the Echo Fighters aren't.

As for "Everyone is Here" is a bad idea, I said it jokingly but I do have a feeling that Nintendo probably had to, in some way, guilt trip Konami into giving them Snake back. By making a big screaming deal out of it, Sakurai was able to guarentee that Konami would get blasted to ****ing pieces if they said no to Snake. So while it means having to put up with Three Links, Three Foxes, Two Marios, Pikachu but Worse, Fire Corrin, and The OCD-Triggerer 9000 wasting everyone's time, I'd say that's a fair price to pay to have Snake and Mii Fighters in the same game.

Another benefit to "Everyone is Here" was that it meant not having to be stressed over cuts.
Who is the last one?

But also I feel like with Toon Link and Young Link having one of them called echoes is a problem. Young Link came out first, but Toon Link has been a longer running veteran. So which one of them would be the echo?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Who is the last one?
P--

>sees profile picture
>sees your mains list
>sees your signature

You're not gonna like what I have to say, m8. :|

it's :ultpokemontrainer:

I feel like with Toon Link and Young Link having one of them called echoes is a problem. Young Link came out first, but Toon Link has been a longer running veteran. So which one of them would be the echo?
That I'm not sure of myself.

Last edited:

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Who is the last one?

But also I feel like with Toon Link and Young Link having one of them called echoes is a problem. Young Link came out first, but Toon Link has been a longer running veteran. So which one of them would be the echo?
The correct answer here is they're both echoes of Link, seriously Sakurai's definition of Echo is silly. Yes I know he made them but still, his distinctions are bizarre and make no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom