• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
The creator of the thread said that we don't have to judge other opinions. The rule doesn't seem to be respected.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
This might sound weird, but there are a lot of characters I'm not that hyped about because it feels like they fit... To perfectly. It's strange, but one thing that always interest me about Snake's inclusion is how he felt so out of place, and I was really curious as to what his move-set would look like. For me, characters like that are the most interesting as you never what to expect (also, to add to my interest, Snake was also a third party). That's why I actively want to see characters like Scorpion, or Lara Croft in the game. Heck, I honestly wouldn't even mind seeing Steven as I'm really curious as to how they'd be implemented. Where as, with other characters (including incredibly popularly requested ones) it feels like there move-sets would incredibly cookie-cutter & basic.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unpopular opinion: I feel everything revealed for Ultimate so far to me has been damn near perfect the newcomers, echoes, stage selection, modes/features/options BUT if that Grinch rumor is true then I will feel it will go down hill for me personally. Not a single character on that list I would be hyped for and after K.Rool, Inklings, Isabelle, and Ridley that bunch seems like a letdown. I know all of those characters are popular picks among the community (except Chorus Kids and Mach Rider) but I personally have either A. no attachment to the character (Mach Rider, Geno, Banjo, Isaac) or B. Have an attachment but never cared to see them in Smash (Ken, Shadow, Chrous Kids) personally. Out of the 7 new characters from the leak Chrous Kids and MAYBE Isaac would probably be the only ones I would try out for curiosity sake everyone else..."meh" So to me the roster/hype started as a 10/10 for the 1st half, the 2nd half to me would be like a 3/10.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
*The leak is real*

Unpopular: Mach Rider sounds like a really interesting choice and I'm excited to see how they've crafted his moveset, since I sure can't think of one

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I guess it’s unpopular because a lot of “leaks” do this, but if a leak contains both Shadow (the Hedgehog) and Black Shadow in the roster, I’m inclined to not believe it. Their names are just too similar.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess it’s unpopular because a lot of “leaks” do this, but if a leak contains both Shadow (the Hedgehog) and Black Shadow in the roster, I’m inclined to not believe it. Their names are just too similar.
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlink:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss:
:ultmario::ultdoc:
:4roy::4feroy:
I'm not sure if I follow.

D

Deleted member

If the leak is real and Mach Rider does make it in, I have a feeling they might be a Falcon echo. If I'm wrong, great. If I'm right, alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The reason I don't want the leak to be true is not because it doesn't contain my very most wanted Dee, but because it's just too embarrassing to think that Smash got compromised twice by moles. First the ESRB leak, and now this? You'd think Nintendo tightened security now by then.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion: the louder support for Bandana Dee is aggravating. I seen the "our lord and savior Bandana Dee" comments and it just make me want to oppose the character.

StormC

Smash Hero
The reason I don't want the leak to be true is not because it doesn't contain my very most wanted Dee, but because it's just to embarrassing to think that Smash got compromised twice by moles. First the ESRB leak, and now this? You'd think Nintendo tightened security now by then.
Three times, if you count the Brawl text leak.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Three times, if you count the Brawl text leak.
Great, now I feel more insecure.
But I mean I guess you can say 3rd time's the charm, maybe this time the most credible leak really is a fake. There's just as much evidence saying it's real as there is fake, and it seems unreasonable for Nintendo to make the same mistake a decade later.

StormC

Smash Hero
Great, now I feel more insecure.
But I mean I guess you can say 3rd time's the charm, maybe this time the most credible leak really is a fake. There's just as much evidence saying it's real as there is fake, and it seems unreasonable for Nintendo to make the same mistake a decade later.
It’s very difficult in the modern world to prevent leaks like this. Hundreds of people have eyes on this game and the internet makes it so easy for someone to get it out. All it takes is one.

I would say if it’s true, Nintendo’s fault is primarily backloading half of the newcomers to the very end. There were long periods without announcements and some of these characters could be revealed by now.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It’s very difficult in the modern world to prevent leaks like this. Hundreds of people have eyes on this game and the internet makes it so easy for someone to get it out. All it takes is one.

I would say if it’s true, Nintendo’s fault is primarily backloading half of the newcomers to the very end. There were long periods without announcements and some of these characters could be revealed by now.
I agree and disagree with you. While it's certainly easy for someone to get out information, you can't blame Nintendo for it, it's their decision how they decide to run things. On the other hand, Nintendo should have considered how desperate people would be for announcements after not getting one in almost 2 months, a leak this big should have been predictable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion: I feel everything revealed for Ultimate so far to me has been damn near perfect the newcomers, echoes, stage selection, modes/features/options BUT if that Grinch rumor is true then I will feel it will go down hill for me personally. Not a single character on that list I would be hyped for and after K.Rool, Inklings, Isabelle, and Ridley that bunch seems like a letdown. I know all of those characters are popular picks among the community (except Chorus Kids and Mach Rider) but I personally have either A. no attachment to the character (Mach Rider, Geno, Banjo, Isaac) or B. Have an attachment but never cared to see them in Smash (Ken, Shadow, Chrous Kids) personally. Out of the 7 new characters from the leak Chrous Kids and MAYBE Isaac would probably be the only ones I would try out for curiosity sake everyone else..."meh" So to me the roster/hype started as a 10/10 for the 1st half, the 2nd half to me would be like a 3/10.
I think it’s totally fine to not be excited about these characters - the only one I really wanted to see in Smash was Banjo - but I feel like the roster is a bigger deal than just the characters.

*The ballot mattered. Fans’ efforts weren’t in vain. This is huge, as even after K. Rool, there was doubt the ballot would be used much going forward.

*Internet polls actually do reflect the ballot results to a meaningful degree. Diehard fans organizing and trying to make a difference can actually payoff, no matter how much people crow about “vocal minorities,” no matter how old and obscure these characters are, no matter if the fans are not from Japan.

*Isaac fans might have saved their franchise from extinction.

*Banjo is back home at Nintendo and the possibility of future Nintendo/Microsoft collaborations could shake up the industry substantially.

Again, you don’t have to like these characters. The only one I’d be excited about on a personal level is Banjo; I’d mostly be happy for Geno and especially Isaac fans for how long and hard they fought. But I think this roster has the potential to send shockwaves through Nintendo as a company...

...if it’s real.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Unpopular opinion: They've done a perfectly serviceable job at hyping up the game and providing boatloads of new information, gameplay footage, and media focus in the short period of just four months since it was formally revealed at E3. Almost every other game would love to have the sort of prerelease period that this one has had, and anyone who feels as if there hasn't been enough shown in such a short time is either expecting too much or has had their excitement prematurely neutered by leaks.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Leaks like this don't ruin the hype for me, unless it's like game play footage of the character, there's still exciting things about this yet to be seen like the cgi trailers and their movesets.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The rule that Echoes have to have the same proportions and stats as their originals is dumb. Look at the Melee clones (particularly in Melee itself) — they may have fully copied movesets, but their stats and move properties are heavily divergent from the originals (with the arguable exception of Dr. Mario), causing them to have extremely different playstyles. Trying to play Ganondorf like he's Captain Falcon or Falco like he's Fox (or vice-versa) is a recipe for humiliation. But when it comes to Ultimate, I'm afraid that playing Richter will be no different from playing Simon, or that playing Daisy will be no different from playing Peach. And at that point... why even call them Echoes?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The rule that Echoes have to have the same proportions and stats as their originals is dumb. Look at the Melee clones (particularly in Melee itself) — they may have fully copied movesets, but their stats and move properties are heavily divergent from the originals (with the arguable exception of Dr. Mario), causing them to have extremely different playstyles. Trying to play Ganondorf like he's Captain Falcon or Falco like he's Fox (or vice-versa) is a recipe for humiliation. But when it comes to Ultimate, I'm afraid that playing Richter will be no different from playing Simon, or that playing Daisy will be no different from playing Peach. And at that point... why even call them Echoes?
Because that term specifically created for them?

Ultimate has significantly more characters. They can't just make :ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultdarksamus:+ Melee-level clones and then balance them according to the rest of the cast. It's simply not plausible.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Ultimate has significantly more characters. They can't just make :ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultdarksamus:+ Melee-level clones and then balance them according to the rest of the cast. It's simply not plausible.
Who said the Melee clones were balanced according to the rest of the cast?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Clones/sem-clones are ostensibly more different than echoes.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Here're my 2 cents: I'll actually feel sad if bara cat Incineroar isn't in, base game or DLC.

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
I disagree with everything in the OP, but... that’s fine. We all have opinions.

I don’t know if these are unpopular, but here are my opinions:

- Peach is still underrated
- Custom Moves are fun af
- Pac-Man is underrated
- Sonic might not even make it to high tier in Smash Ultimate
- Ice Climbers de-syncs could lead to some hype KO combos

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I agree and disagree with you. While it's certainly easy for someone to get out information, you can't blame Nintendo for it, it's their decision how they decide to run things. On the other hand, Nintendo should have considered how desperate people would be for announcements after not getting one in almost 2 months, a leak this big should have been predictable.
I'm not sure this is the kind of leak you can prepare for, though. Considering all the companies involved, the time frame, places where leaks got out in the past, I'm sure there's a LOT more that could have gotten out this time around that Nintendo stomped down on. The most credible leaks up until now have been 1. People seeing Directs right before they air, or 2. Vergeben leaks only confidently providing 1-2 characters. This leak (from what I understand) was a screenshot of a Snapchat including someone's name that may or may not even be an involved party, all from a French design company who surely was a few heads down the line in communication. There's leak prevention, and then there's literal vaults with documents in them and armed hitmen at every associated outlet.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
I don’t want online matchmaking at all.

I would much rather destroy all the new players I come across and watch as they try to fight back.

That sweet spot of the player being competent but not really good is the most satisfying to beat. They know what’s happening but have no way to stop it and eventually give in to despair.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don’t want online matchmaking at all.

I would much rather destroy all the new players I come across and watch as they try to fight back.

That sweet spot of the player being competent but not really good is the most satisfying to beat. They know what’s happening but have no way to stop it and eventually give in to despair.
You must be great fun at parties.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Online matchmaking should still be focused on skill based (ie, a ranked mode),but also more importantly by connection. People with a slow enough connection simply shouldn't be allowed online, it's so annoying when your opponent is using the McDonald's wifi to play and the whole game lags as a result.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
In light of recent reveals, I got one. I hate when people say that we need a WTF character that nobody wants and every game. I won't deny that led to some cool choices, but more often than not I just end up hating that character and almost never playing as them and feeling like their place in the character select screen could have been given to someone else. Also I feel like the fact that this is a series where Pikachu and Samus can beat each other up is enough of a WTF Factor. do we really need to pile unwanted characters on top of it just for the lolz?

EDIT: I feel similarly about people asking for retro reps in every game, not because I don't want them or anyting, I'm actually a huge retro gamer, I just don't like them being classified into their own thing, and people suggesting we only need one. in my opinion this series should be about all of Nintendo's history, and characters like pit or Mach Rider or duck hunt should not be treated any differently then Mario or link. I'm tired of seeing retro characters treated as relics just because they're old, that includes incorporating a bunch of Sprites into their moves. I'm so tired of retro things being represented with Sprites, especially when they have official artwork did they say things on.

Last edited:

ufufu

Smash Rookie
I don’t think Cinny and the piranha plant deserve all the hate for not being the grinch leak characters instead.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I actually don't dislike Piranha Plant being in. He's a WTF choice but he actually seems fun, and I have no problems with it being playable.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Last direct was hype.
I agree completley.

With all due respect, I think it says more about the Direct than it does about the community...
With absolutley no respect due to anyone, a huge portion of the community is being whiny cry babies right now. Smash already showed ton of great stuff and people are upset because they wanted even MORE great stuff then they already got. ... alos a lot of people are just upset that their favorite characters didn't get in, or they believed somebody that lied about the roster.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
With absolutley no respect due to anyone, a huge portion of the community is being whiny cry babies right now. Smash already showed ton of great stuff and people are upset because they wanted even MORE great stuff then they already got. ... alos a lot of people are just upset that their favorite characters didn't get in, or they believed somebody that lied about the roster.
Okay, there's respectfully disagreeing with me, and then there's just being a ****.
People can be un-hyped by the Direct without being "whiny cry babies", and for the most part, they have good reason to other than "my favorite character got AT'd :'(". Sure, there are some who have acted unreasonable and ******, but that's hardly the majority and it's unfair to lump the rest of us who were simply underwhelmed by the Direct in with them. Honestly, this kind of anti-hype policing within the Smash community that dictates that people have to be excited by every reveal, lest they be labeled salty ingrates, really gets my goat, especially when someone starts their reply with "With absolutely no respect due to anyone". That right there sickens me to my core more than any undercut expectations ever could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom