• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
If we get another story mode, I'd much rather have the option to pick a character (or five) that I'm comfortable with and play through a bunch of stages as that character then go the route Subspace took, where characters played through specific stages at specific points.

I say this because, outside of maybe that one part in the castle where you have to crouch to hit a switch on the other side of the door, they didn't really take advantage of what an individual character could do.

So at that point, why not just open the floodgates and let us play as whoever the heck we want like with melee's adventure mode?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, if Star Fox were to finally get a fourth character, Krystal, Slippy, and Leon would all fit pretty well.

Krystal is a very popular character who probably has the most going for her, thanks to her being considered to Brawl, and making it in Smash Ultimate as an Assist Trophy. She has a lot of moveset potential too, almost all of which can be ripped straight from Star Fox Adventures. Other moves can just be taken from real-life bo staff martial arts moves.

Slippy is one of the original four Star Fox members, and is very well-known thanks to him basically being a meme. Moveset-wise, there's a ton that can be done with him. You can rip things from Star Fox: Assault, Star Fox Zero, and Star Fox Guard, as well as coming up with original gadgets for him to use. One of the best ideas I've seen for Slippy is a moveset based around limiting his opponent's options as a whole to even things up.

Leon would fit well, seeing as Fox and Falco would both have their rivals. Plus, he's the only other consistent member of Star Wolf other than Wolf himself. Moveset wise, you could likely take some things from Star Fox: Assault, but he'd otherwise have a completely original moveset like the rest of the cast. Sniper Rifle, maybe some throwing knives, or even invisibility?

Granted, I'd kill to see any one of the three. I've made movesets for Krystal and Slippy, plus plan on making one for Leon some time soon.
You should totally do a support thread for Leon. I'd do it but I don't have what it takes to make one unfortunately.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I find the common distaste towards promotional characters weird, considering a lot of people want old characters to get in so they can promote the franchise in order to get a new game.

It feels like the same thing.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Personally I think Slippy is a more glaring omission.
I have mixed feelings on Slippy, as he would be a great character, but then he highlights a glaring omission as Star Fox is a group of 4, so Peppy missing would become easily apparent.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
If you like bad games, sure.
Honestly, as a Sonic fan this statement is kinda overblown to a degree. I get it if you don't care or like the franchise, but this seemingly just ignores anything good that comes out of it in general in favor of magnifying anything bad that comes out of it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I have mixed feelings on Slippy, as he would be a great character, but then he highlights a glaring omission as Star Fox is a group of 4, so Peppy missing would become easily apparent.
You could have Slippy as a semi-unique newcomer and Peppy as an echo of Slippy since they share a similar body type. I know some people will say Star Fox would be over represented, but honestly having the full team playable would be so cool.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't even particularly like Sonic, but to call him irrelevant is patently false.
Sonic will always be a bigger gaming icon than Samus, maybe his jimmies are rustled over it?

I'd bet half of casual gamers still think shes a dude, or a robot haha. Sonic has had some horrible games sure, that doesn't make him irrelevant at all, pretty bad argument if you can even call it that.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Here's two more that I happened to think of.

1. I actually don't mind not having characters to unlock. We already know the entire cast beforehand, so that technically ruins the surprise of unlocking a character for me. Since that's the case, I'd much rather spend my time training my Robin and getting used to the game than try to unlock 62+ characters. It was fun back in Melee when I had no idea who they were, but I know all of the roster by now. It just doesn't have the same effect anymore.

2. Smash 4 isn't really all that bad. Sure, Smash Ultimate is essentially a direct upgrade, and Smash 4 has its own problems, but it's still pretty balanced in terms of speed between Melee and Brawl. Ultimate might be faster, but Smash 4 has an enjoyable pace for me.

SonicMario

Smash Master
2. Smash 4 isn't really all that bad. Sure, Smash Ultimate is essentially a direct upgrade, and Smash 4 has its own problems, but it's still pretty balanced in terms of speed between Melee and Brawl. Ultimate might be faster, but Smash 4 has an enjoyable pace for me.
Each Smash game is better then the last for me. So Smash 4 is still the best for me out of those currently still released. Though yeah with every single character returning from that game plus even it's DLC and all the other additional characters all there in a $60 package it just makes Smash 4 just that much obsolete.

Smash 4 3DS alone will be pretty obsolete cause Smash Ultimate will both have portability and the full Smash experience with controllers and everything. Unless there's nothing like Smash Run in Ultimate. Then there won't be much need to play 3DS Smash 4 any more.

Though I'm not sure I can ever go back to any previous Smash game when Ultimate comes out anyway. The whole package is right there. It's called Ultimate for a reason. And the best thing about it all being on the Switch is I can choose never to leave home without it.

Smash 4 still deserves credit for bringing pretty much a majority of the characters that will be in ultimate though. Smash 4's roster (Including veterans from games before Smash 4) is still about 80% of the current roster

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
In spite of the massive rant I made about Smash's... "economy" (I want to disembowel myself at the fact that I can call it that), I would say that Smash 4 is my favorite in terms of in-game mechanics.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
We don’t need a unique break the targets stage for every fighter. We have 74 fighters, it would just be a waste of development time at this point.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd say implement custom Break the Targets stages as an additional option for stage builder. I think that's the best way to get individual Target Test stages back without the dev's spending too much time on them. They can probably bring back Board the Platforms and maybe Race to the Finish too that way.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Bathing suit Shulk is the only way to play Shulk.
More like Shulc Flair.

I'd imagine, if Spirits mode finally became real, that it would have unique campaigns for each group of character. E.g, Mario and its subseries are all obviously lumped together, whereas Star Fox, F-Zero, and Pikmin could share a Spirits campaign.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: I consider Toon Link to be a full newcomer instead of a Yink replacement, since he represents way more games than Yink did.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd imagine, if Spirits mode finally became real, that it would have unique campaigns for each group of character. E.g, Mario and its subseries are all obviously lumped together, whereas Star Fox, F-Zero, and Pikmin could share a Spirits campaign.
FirestormNeos FirestormNeos did a take on this concept a few months back that I feel would be really grand and awesome to see implemented.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer if Sheik used her OOT desgin instead of this BOTW version even though she wasn't in BOTW.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I don't care about Geno that much.
Yes, I played the game, and have him on my party. I just don't see the hype for him.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I think people are being too extreme with their "temper expectations" mindsets. Of course, they can think however they please, but I find it tiring how often this is thrown around. Everyone just seems so terrified of being even a little disappointed. This game's bar is set very high already, so a little optimism won't kill you.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think people are being too extreme with their "temper expectations" mindsets. Of course, they can think however they please, but I find it tiring how often this is thrown around. Everyone just seems so terrified of being even a little disappointed. This game's bar is set very high already, so a little optimism won't kill you.
People aren't afraid of being disappointed. People are afraid of other people being disappointed and throwing a hissy fit, like what happened when Corrin and Bayonetta got announced.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
People aren't afraid of being disappointed. People are afraid of other people being disappointed and throwing a hissy fit, like what happened when Corrin and Bayonetta got announced.
Either way, they're annoying.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Tell me about it, if I see that picture of ROB with the hype responsibly sign one more time, I might just strangle someone to death.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I don't disagree there. But people have whined after every Smash bros release. I suspect that won't change now. I'm only saying that on an individual level, we should be open to optimistic views. Those that complain likely won't ever see or listen to the pleas saying they should temper their expectations.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
On one hand, I'd rather people be mildly annoying now and happy when the game comes out then for people to be excited now and annoying ****heels later that character VWXYZ didn't make it.

On the other hand, that picture of R.O.B. is horrifically patronizing to the point where I sincerely hope whoever made it accidentally drops and breaks their Switch the day before Smash comes out. and that none of the games they played on it were compatible with cloud save.

Atem

Smash Cadet
My unpopular opinion

We are probably not going to get a story mode.
Due to 2 main reasons
1. Development cycle
The game has been worked on for 2 years and not 6. Brawl had to have two development cycles just to have the story mode. Ultimate had two years!

2. Cutscenes
One reason that Subspace emissary got so popular was dude to his Cutscenes. Sakurai stated he put the effort he put in the Brawl cutscenes into the character reveal trailers in Smash 4. AND we got some amazing reveal character trailers for Ultimate.

Also Waluigi would be awesome in smash

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Geno would be a great addition.
And I think Ribbon Girl should not be a Springman echo !

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vergeben is full of ****, and Ken and Incineroar aren't more likely because he said so.

Oddball

Smash Lord
You say that as if he'c already confirmed. Nintendo wouldn't let Capcom reach 3 reps before Sega. There would be some interesting implications with that.
I think you misunderstood.

I don't think Ken is in the game and don't understand why other people do, since if he was, why wiouldn't they have showed him already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom