• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"Steve?" is a placeholder name, only created so they could produce merchandise for little kids. Not only do "Steve?," and for that matter, "Alex?" not exist, but there is no such thing as Minecraft canon. A stage that's different each time like Super Mario Maker or Palutena's Temple would be cool.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Want honesty?

I never cared about Ashely or understood how she suddenly became hugely requested around Ultimate hype. (Mii Fighter costume probably)

Not that my condolences don’t go to her supporters (except for toxic fans I’ve seen on Twitter), but I always thought the idea of Wario getting a newcomer was very niche and I never agreed the idea of her being a “lock” pre August Direct.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
If we get Minecraft Steve I've lost all hope xD

Definitely a series that would be more appropriately represented with a blocky stage instead of a blocky fighter, no?

Just how Ridley was better represented as a boss (well, that's probably more unpopular than the Minecraft stuff but there it is)
- like waluigi is best rep only playable in a sports game

D

Deleted member

ZOE TRENT FOR SMASH.

Boom. Try to find a more unpopular opinion than THAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Whatever it was, there's no argument to say Waluigi shouldn't be in.
Actually, I don't necessarily think Waluigi deserves to be a playable character, which is an upopular opinion these days.

He was often compared to Daisy as both have largely been restricted to Mario spinoffs, but I always felt Daisy had a better chance due to her origins and being able to easily be a clone/echo of Peach, which indeed happened. But it makes no sense for Waluigi to be a clone or any other fighter including Wario, and then what are you left with? Not much to draw a moveset from, that's what. On top of that, I find him to be an unfunny and uninteresting character and every time I hear "WAAA" it's 10 times more annoying than "Hi I'm Daisy" ever was.

Sakurai or whoever will probably cave and make him playable next Smash Bros. game just like what happened with Ridley after Sakurai's arguments defending why he couldn't be playable, probably just to get the fanbase to shut up.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213

That's not a fair comparison. There are more DK games than Metroid games, and while DK is popular in Japan, Metroid isn't. DK will bounce back. But, you can't kill a series if it sells very well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would be completely fine wit putting in anime/manga characters like Goku, Lucy, or Yuskue, or comic book characters like Captain America, Spider-Man, or Thor as guest characters for further Smash games, but only if we run of third party video characters for Smash.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
This seems to be the unpopular opinion now: I’m actually all for Steve. He would no doubt have a super unique move set, he’s one of the last few truly iconic third parties that have yet to be added, and you’re lying if you say he’s not megaton iconic. I also think his blocky art style, while somewhat conflicting, would actually be good for smash. I mean, smash is meant to be this colossal gaming crossover, so naturally there would be a wide variety of different art styles represented.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This seems to be the unpopular opinion now: I’m actually all for Steve. He would no doubt have a super unique move set, he’s one of the last few truly iconic third parties that have yet to be added, and you’re lying if you say he’s not megaton iconic. I also think his blocky art style, while somewhat conflicting, would actually be good for smash. I mean, smash is meant to be this colossal gaming crossover, so naturally there would be a wide variety of different art styles represented.
Kind of agree. I'll only accept Steve under the condition Banjo still gets in as DLC otherwise I'd rather he not be in the game but all evidence seems to indicate he will be.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Kind of agree. I'll only accept Steve under the condition Banjo still gets in as DLC otherwise I'd rather he not be in the game but all evidence seems to indicate he will be.
Oh yeah that’s another point in favor of Steve. Like, I guess people don’t realize that if Microsoft would be willing to cooperate with Minecraft, chances are they would with Banjo too. Much like how Megaman paved the way for the eventual Ryu in smash 4.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh yeah that’s another point in favor of Steve. Like, I guess people don’t realize that if Microsoft would be willing to cooperate with Minecraft, chances are they would with Banjo too. Much like how Megaman paved the way for the eventual Ryu in smash 4.
That's what I'm thinking especially being that Phil Spencer and even Banjo's creator are on board with him being in Smash. I can honestly see something similar to that happening.

And to make a even better deal have Master Chief as a Mii costume. ;)

Dead Sans

Smash Rookie
I don’t want Shante in the game and (idk if this is unpopular) I think that it would be cool to see another metal gear rep, namely raiden since we have an idea of what he’d be like from his appearance in Sony all stars battle royale (called itself battle royale before it was cool) and, well he’s a badass in metal gear rising.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
That's what I'm thinking especially being that Phil Spencer and even Banjo's creator are on board with him being in Smash. I can honestly see something similar to that happening.

And to make a even better deal have Master Chief as a Mii costume. ;)
Part of me actually seriously wants the Chief, partially because he is a gaming icon, but also because I want to see the salt storm that would be caused by ravenous Nintendo purists who don’t want their precious little Nintendo crossover ‘tarnished’

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Part of me actually seriously wants the Chief, partially because he is a gaming icon, but also because I want to see the salt storm that would be caused by ravenous Nintendo purists who don’t want their precious little Nintendo crossover ‘tarnished’
Maybe but something tells me we'll only get Steve (Base) and Banjo (DLC). I still think at most he'd be an Mii costume.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I'm totally fine with Minecraft being in Smash/mostly cool with Steve as playable, I'd reeeeally dislike Captain Toad being playable and think he absolutely doesn't fit, Dark Samus shouldn't be an Echo, and finally...

I think putting characters like Ridley and K. Rool in is a mistake insomuch that now everyone feels they can complain when their special favorite character doesn't get in.

(I'm super excited to play them both though and Sakurai, as always, has given them amazing treatment.)

I'd love either MC or Doom Slayer to get in because yay for more shooter icons, my only thing with MC is that his legendary status has kind of waned over the years as Halo has become more and more meh, at least that's how it seems to me.

Dead Sans

Smash Rookie
Would you be willing to elaborate as to why?
Sure, but there isn’t much to it. I’m simply just not a fan of shante, and call it bias, I’m not gonna disagree, but I’d prefer time to go to characters I want, and are arguably more popular like bandanna dee or geno.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Smash Bros. should be a celebration of gaming as a whole and not just Nintendo characters. I'm all for 3rd parties.

I really wish the main theme of smash ultimate was something less happy-like and more serious, i miss the feeling that the main theme in Brawl used to create on me.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Want honesty?

I never cared about Ashely or understood how she suddenly became hugely requested around Ultimate hype. (Mii Fighter costume probably)

Not that my condolences don’t go to her supporters (except for toxic fans I’ve seen on Twitter), but I always thought the idea of Wario getting a newcomer was very niche and I never agreed the idea of her being a “lock” pre August Direct.
I think people thought she was a lock because she both had a DLC costume (like Inkling, K Rool, etc) and she wasn't revealed as an Assist Trophy at E3 (which is why Shadow and Skull Kid are considered likely by some, and how Dark Samus and Isabelle were upgraded to playable fighters. )

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'd love either MC or Doom Slayer to get in because yay for more shooter icons, my only thing with MC is that his legendary status has kind of waned over the years as Halo has become more and more meh, at least that's how it seems to me.
Yeah, since halo 5 removed local multiplier the series kinda took a hit as a whole, at least in my eyes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd be fine with Steve but Banjo and Chief have to get in first.

Edit: When did I double post?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mute City in Melee > Port Town Aero Dive and Mute City (SNES)
The fact this stage isn't back in Smash Ultimate baffles me to be honest.

I don't know if this is considered unpopular, but Port Town must have struck some chord to remain in 2 Smash games.

EDIT: For a truly unpopular opinion, I don't understand the hype surrounding Geno, even since the Brawl era. He was playable in only one game and has only been seen in cameos. I much rather have other Square Enix and Mario characters before Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If we get the pessimistic small unique newcomer number for Ultimate’s base game, I hope we get a ton of disconfirmations of popular ballot newcomers to the point where speculating for DLC won’t just be the same “Banjo, Isaac, and Dee” mindset again, to the point where people need to speculate with critical thought instead of just relying on the ballot to guess stuff, even if that means disconfirmations for my favorite wanted newcomers.

Speculation right now feels like pure despair.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not sure how unpopular this is but I absolutely despise it when people want a character in because they find them sexually attractive.

It annoys the crap out of me not only because it's illegitimate but it also makes the conversation super awkward.

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
Akuma is a better echo choice than Ken.

•Akuma is a villain, a secret boss that takes out Bison in a single hit even.
•Akuma is a mix of Ken and Ryu, and is thus the middle ground and closer to Ryu.
•Akuma is a frequent flyer in crossovers, he even appeared as a mech in a game.

Morrigan would be a more interesting second pic than Ken. For some of the same reasons.

ArcticKat

Smash Rookie
The only thing random tripping ever did was amuse me for a couple seconds every time it happened. It was never as big a problem as I’ve seen people make it out to be.
I wouldn’t mind seeing it come back.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
*sighs*

*looks up to the skies an prays it never happens*

*spends a few moments contemplating how the world came to this*

Gardevoir.
On a somewhat related note, the Bowsette meme is beginning to lose it's appeal to me.

As someone who loves Mario BECAUSE of it's weird, quirky and unique species designs seeing EVERY Mario character from King Boo and Bowser to Chain Chomp and Goomba get turned into a generic anime fan service version of Peach is growing tiresome. Meme has only been around a week or so.

Worse, I've overheard some people IRL actively and unironically state they want Bowsette for Smash. Say what you want about Waluigi supporters only wanting him for memes but they're 1000% more legit than this.

Not sure if that's an unpopular opinion here, but there we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom