• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenOfRain

Smash Rookie
I genuinely enjoyed smash tour, and wouldn't mind having it come back (with a few tweaks) for smash switch.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh goodie, this will be fun. Where do I begin?

- Of all Mario characters, Geno has the most predictable moveset. That is what makes him the least interesting Mario newcomer.
- While there is not too many Fire Emblem hatchers, there should be better representation as far as weaponry. Where's the axe and lance love?
- Pac-Man deserves better representation than arcade nostalgia pandering. Let's not pretend Pac-Man never had his own 3D platformers.
- Indie characters would be alright, but I would take a more iconic third party character IMO
- Non-gaming characters will never be interesting for Smash (Goku, Shrek, Mickey Mouse, etc), even if someone can convince me.
- Timing DOES matter for a character's inclusion. if that weren't the case, we would had gotten stuff from Hyrule Warriors right off the bat.
- Doomguy would have to be the least appealing third party character ever. Even a Dark Souls character would be more interesting.
- Relevance shouldn't always factor for a character's inclusion. Does it matter if Isaac never had a new game since the DS? Or Starfy for that matter?
- I think this whole "must have international popularity" rule is a major crutch to Smash. Might as well never add characters like Donbe or Ayumi because they are too Japanese for Smash.
- Ganondorf needs Dead Man's Volley or something to make him less of an easy target
- A character being generic DOESN'T make them the worst possible Smash choice. Looking at you Spring Man haters.
- Sushido Striker shouldn't touch Smash with a 15 foot pole. Worst modern Nintendo game in a while.
- Forget Story Mode, give us better modes than the dumpster fires that are Target Blast or Smash Tour.
- For me, I'm thinking people wanting the Rabbids is a foul attempt at spiting the Rayman fanbase (which rubs me the wrong way)
- Mona for me is a FAR better representation for WarioWare than Ashley ever will.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
- I don't believe we need a rep for every franchise. What matters in the end is if the character adds something to the game. Feels like the community is asking for a rep from everything to Cooking Mama to Professor Layton. Any franchise that doesn't have a rep must have one it seems or it's a game on the switch.

- I think there are more than enough 3rd parties already. I definitely think there's a line where this much is too much. Main focus should be Nintendo's characters.

- I am fine with Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon having so many reps. As long as the characters are cool. There should never be a limit to a franchise.

- I don't think clone characters are a bad thing. Sakurai adds them in when he's got a little bit of time left and it's an easy and quicker way to boost the roster count. I think of them as bonuses.

- It doesn't matter to me if Ganondorf's moveset changes. His moveset I think is fitting for him as is. If I could choose to change it; sure I would. But I'd rather they put that time into making a new character than revamping a veteran that has had an established moveset for 3 games now.

- I don't believe Link's moveset will be revamped just because it's his BOTW self they're using for his model. I expect subtle changes (like Link's boomerang changing into Gale boomerang in Brawl.) Small things like that at the most. Plus, I think this BOTW Link will not be as cartoony in smash as Sakurai loves adding more detail. (Ex. Toon Link never being purely cell shaded and Mario having ultra realistic denim overalls.)

- I would rather smash 5 be a heavily enhanced version of smash 4 than a completely new game. I don't mean a port. I mean Sakurai reusing that same engine and resources and fine tuning the game to make it play differently while also adding a full game's worth of content. I think it would be pretty stupid for Sakurai to start over from scratch and make a roster of 60-70 or more when he already made a huge roster not too long ago. Could be saving time and money on new content rather than remake everything. Also this puts returning veterans in jeopardy due to time constraints.

- Not sure if this is unpopular but I feel like I'm in the minority more and more when I see other roster predictions. I can tell you right now that I think Wii-Fit Trainer will return. And I will rub it in everyone's face who doubted her return when she's confirmed for smash 5 at E3.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
:4jigglypuff:, :4mii:, :pichumelee:, :younglinkmelee: and :popo: are the only characters in the entire series that I genuinely consider to be wastes of slots. Seriously I'd gladly take Dark Pit and Lucina not changed at all in Smash Switch over these lot.

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
6 of my unpopular opinions
1. Should not be Sm4sh Wii U + 3DS if a port
2. Ballet should not return
3. Game should shouldn't have many newcommers
4. If many newcommers, should get rid of older characters
5. 3rd party characters should not return
6. No Waluigi

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
- While there is not too many Fire Emblem hatchers, there should be better representation as far as weaponry. Where's the axe and lance love?
- Pac-Man deserves better representation than arcade nostalgia pandering. Let's not pretend Pac-Man never had his own 3D platformers.
- Indie characters would be alright, but I would take a more iconic third party character IMO
- Non-gaming characters will never be interesting for Smash (Goku, Shrek, Mickey Mouse, etc), even if someone can convince me.
- Timing DOES matter for a character's inclusion. if that weren't the case, we would had gotten stuff from Hyrule Warriors right off the bat.
- Relevance shouldn't always factor for a character's inclusion. Does it matter if Isaac never had a new game since the DS? Or Starfy for that matter?
- I think this whole "must have international popularity" rule is a major crutch to Smash. Might as well never add characters like Donbe or Ayumi because they are too Japanese for Smash.
On these opinions, I agree with you. I have no doubts about it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I wasn't too hyped about the idea of Smash 5 in 2018 because I had already convinced myself that 2019/2020 would be much better to represent the massive lineup the Switch has and give the development team more flexibility. So many franchises new and old have been getting and will be getting massive content for the Switch, but if a project outline that Sakurai strictly abides by was finalized in 2016 then I don't have a good feeling about the impact and appeal of most reps.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So I heard legends of this thread....*cracks knuckles* *puts up flame shield*

-Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong are probably the most boring choices (in relation to their popularity) for new Smash fighters, especially since both of their series have better, more interesting options to choose from for fighters.

-I still think clones are pointless additions into the roster as separate characters, doesn't matter to me if they are almost no extra work, I'd rather quality over quantity; And honestly if a character offers almost nothing different than just being a palette swap do they really need to be put in the game as separate characters at all?
Plus look at what cloning as done to poor Falcondorf.:4ganondorf: It does a HUGE disservice to some of those characters that do make it in as clones when you consider the amount of untapped potential they could have as unique fighters. Yes, I do ask for characters like Dark Samus and Impa who admittedly could potentially be clones of other fighters, but I do have to say that I would be both very underwhelmed and disappointed if they did make it as such.

-Relevance/recency is always given way too much importance for characters in Smash, if a character is irrelevant that doesn't mean they would be any less interesting additions to the roster nor does it mean they are any less deserving than the new blood. The flavour of the month should not be prioritized over other characters who would've also been great or even better choices, just because they missed the boat once.

-Non-video game characters should never be added to Smash. A line needs to be drawn somewhere. And, no ROB isn't an exception because he started off as a piece of video game hardware.

-'Reps' DO matter! While it's true that characters should be primarily chosen for their potential and what they can add to the roster, balance is still important since some franchises get very much overlooked because the focus lands too much on others. A lot of these overlooked franchises still have something to offer that no other franchises does. Some of which are hardly even represented in Smash at all.

-:4mario::4fox::4bayonetta: are my least favourite characters in the game and they should all be cut and :4link::4samus: should be buffed to be the most overpowered and broken characters in the game, more powerful than Brawl Meta Knight...I don't even care COME@ME!:drflip:

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
Dark Pit should stay, albeit with a rework to use claws, staves, clubs, etc.

-:4mario::4fox::4bayonetta: are my least favourite characters in the game and they should all be cut and :4link::4samus: should be buffed to be the most overpowered and broken characters in the game, more powerful than Brawl Meta Knight...I don't even care COME@ME!:drflip:
yes, I'm sure :mario64: and :fox64: have a very high chance of being cut

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Smash 5 was announced prematurely and the method of announcing it wasn’t the best way to go about it.

I am actually open to non-conventional characters such as Master Chief, Scorpion, Nightmare (SoulCalibur), Son Goku, and strangely enough, StarKiller from Force Unleashed appearing in smash. Having Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta I’m changed who I thought couldn’t fit into Smash. I was probably one of those people who was like “no way! Cloud is a Sony character. Capcom and Sega doesn’t get two reps. Bayonetta comes from a rated M series”. Yet they were added in and both them and their franchises fit and look great in Smash. I’d like to these those aforementioned characters and their franchises represented in Smash and see how it works.

Oh, and I’m a huge supporter of Jack from Harvest moon. Always have been and will always be one. Not only that but Harvest Moon representation...prior to becoming Story of Seasons and becoming husbands/waifu dating sims basically.

And one more thing, it’s a bit too PSASBR and MvCI but getting a few cross-over stages would be interesting. Like Mario x Animal Crossing, Metroid x Zelda, and Star Fox x Kirby

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Not sure how many of these are unpopular, but I'll give it a shot.

- I would love for this next installment to have slightly faster-paced gameplay than Smash 4. We don't need Melee level speed or tech to have a better game. Just change up some mechanics to incentivize offensive play so we can have 3-stock games in tournaments and as the default for online.

- Balance is important on both the competitive and casual side of things, but a little more emphasis should be put on balancing for competitive play since that's the audience that cares most for character balance. Smash 4 was pretty good about doing this, but there were still a number of characters that got left in the dust.

- The Mario and Pokemon series aren't over-represented. These are hugely popular series and deserve however many characters they can manage.

- I used to think that Fire Emblem was over-represented, but I think that was due to personal bias and because they made up 2/7 of the DLC roster. The series is plenty deserving of 5 or 6 characters, but a cut or two should be made before adding more FE characters.

- For the love of the Goddesses update Ganondorf. I don't mind if he maintains a portion of his current moveset, but he needs Dead Man's Volley as a projectile and some more new tricks up his sleeve. In fact, I'd be fine with no Zelda newcomers if all of the current Zelda characters got some decent updates.

- That being said, if we do get a new Zelda character, I'd want Tingle over any other character. He's appeared in more Zelda titles than almost any other minor character, and his popularity is (not surprisingly) quite high in Japan due to the Japan-exclusive Tingle games (check them out if you haven't already). He'd make for a popular choice in Japan and a great joke character for the West.

- Ridley probably isn't too big. He would certainly end up being the largest character on the roster, but I think he would be manageable if his size was toned down ever so slightly. I don't have any real attachment to the character, but I feel like the Metroid series has been neglected for too long.

- Clone characters are welcome in my book, but I think that they should be swapped out per game. Make Lucina and Dark Pit alts to make room for 2 or 3 new clones (but please differentiate them slightly more from their counterparts than Lucina and Dark Pit were). Doc can stay since he's differentiated himself enough from Mario.

- Mii's should return, but they should be way more streamlined this time around. There should be one set Mii size and a default moveset that can be used whether or not customs are enabled. I wanna use them online, dang it.

- On the note of customs, I'd prefer if they were removed entirely. They would likely take extra development time that could be put toward new or updated characters, and I never really used them past the early 3ds days anyway. Oh, and customs also split the community for a while which wasn't exactly my idea of fun.

- I don't mind a high volume of 3rd party characters. The emphasis should of course stay on Nintendo's own characters, but there's so many 3rd party characters that would fit right in with the rest of the cast.

- At this point, I don't feel like every 3rd party newcomer has to be a "legendary gaming icon." There are characters out there that are so closely linked to Nintendo that they're well deserving of inclusion; Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton come to mind.

- Individual 3rd party companies can have as many series represented in Smash as necessary. If Capcom gets 3 or even 4 characters in total I'd be all for it, they have that many eligible characters.

- Indies can easily be represented in Smash, though I find most picks to be unfitting for Smash. Shovel Knight and Undertale are very new Indie titles and don't have a guaranteed future as continuing franchises. The Shantae series on the other hand consists of 4 games spanning across 16 years (all the way back to Game Boy Color) and has deep roots in Nintendo. If any Indie character deserves inclusion, I feel like she should get priority.

- I think it's a little too early for characters like Crash and Spyro to be included. They have very little prominence in regards to Nintendo's history. If they continue releasing on Nintendo consoles, then by next Smash they could potentially be great fits (and iconic to boot).

- Mayonnaise is a necessary component of sandwiches, but has no other appropriate applications.

D

Deleted member

Part 2: Unpopular Tendency.

-I hate the "we need more Females" nonsense that is always applied to every potential Female Smash newcomer (even Dixie). It reeks of "diversity" bullcrap that is destroying other mediums and forbid creators of doing what they truly desire at best and is virtue signalling at worst (there's a movie a certain nerd dind't wanted to watch, and some idiots attacked him and put words in his mouth which eh never said because they wanted to fill an agenda). That ironically becomes tokenism, making those character boil down to just beign female/black/lgbt/autistic/whatever people nowdays are complaing there's not enough of, instead of the character beign interesing and understandable, and it ends becoming a flat character. Yes i know most of these people don't have this mindset and do like the character beyond beign a girl, but when you use this "muh girlz" argument as the main argument, it devalues every single other reason that actually matters to fill some pointless quota instead of actual merit.

-I also feel this way to a much lesser extent when it comes to villains, although i do like the idea of playing as villains because they rarely are playable in their home series (outside of Spin-Offs) and that already is more interesing than "FEMALEZ 11!11" (because the role a character plays in the series and their morality is a very different thing from gender and if we treated the 2 on the same way that would mean females have only specific role in the same way villains do, which is just not right).

-I don't want any of the Melee "exploits" (like wavedashing) back in Smash ever. I prefer Smash 4's playstyle more (i may like watching some competitive Melee plays, but i like to play Smash 4 better in general) altough i woulnd't mind it if it was a little bit faster.

-Brawl's aesthetic is my least favorite ever if only because of the horrid brown and grays that were all the rage in 2008 and the "realistic" apporach to character designs. Realistic artstyles tend to age REALLY badly in a matter of a few years (just compare Twilight Princess to Wind Waker) and Brawl got hit hard by it. I know this isn't really an "unpopular" opinion......if it wasn't by the fact that i find Smash 64 graphics and look more appealing to look at than Brawl's just becaue the colors are not undersaturated.

-Simon Belmont > Snake.

-I will never understand people that think that giving Ganondorf a sword (which is one of his main methods of combat in every single Zelda game except OOT) will make him generic even though he's literally a bland, uninspired semi-clone of Captain Falcon that could not be more unfaithful to the character. No the "TOO MANY ZWODS" argument doesn't work.

-Im dissapointed they wasted Balloon Fighter's potential on Villager's up special just because "well BF was on the original Animal Crossing" excuse, even though NES game collecting has not been part of the series after the first game, the fact that the Balloons in Animal Crossing never have been used that way, and that it overall feels like a move Sakurai made because he couldn't come up with a better recovery move. If it wasn't by this move, i would consider Balloon Fighter the most likely retro character in Smash because he's one of the few Nes-era characters that dind't become a full-on franchise, yet it was as recognizable as Duck Hunt.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
My unpopular opinion?

That some of the opinions that tend to pop up in unpopular opinion threads are dumb. Objectively. And anyone who thinks that no opinion is wrong is too arrogant and blind to see that they can also make mistakes in judgement. The foolish simply take advantage of the existence of a topic like this to post their edgy and controversial opinions.

Not every voice needs to be heard. Listening to the wrong people can bring about real harm. If you want health tips, you ask a doctor or nutritionist, not your loud mouthed neighbor or coworker who knows everything. Same here. For all the grief they get, I'm glad the devs of this game have enough common sense to not listen to what most of the fanbase, each with their own personal agenda of wants and needs, have to say. Which is not to say that constructive criticism should be ignored. Just filter the crap.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m actually ok if Smash Switch is an enhanced port with just Inklings as newcomers which would then would then transition into bi/tri-monthly newcomer character updates along with additional new content like stages, items, modes, music, etc on a more regular basis. Characters would be unlocked via real currency or through in-game gold and other content would be free via updates. By the time the game is finished, it would be an entirely new game with enhanced graphics and content not found in the launch version.

It’s not ideal and I’m sure Nintendo would get a lot of flack but I wouldn’t be angry if it happened.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
6 of my unpopular opinions
1. Should not be Sm4sh Wii U + 3DS if a port
2. Ballet should not return
3. Game should shouldn't have many newcommers
4. If many newcommers, should get rid of older characters
5. 3rd party characters should not return
6. No Waluigi
Um…biased much?

Anyways, my opinions:

-Clones are welcome to me. Like others have said, they’re there because of a little extra time.
-I enjoyed Smash Tour and would welcome it back with open arms (albeit it would need some tweaks).
-The more third party characters, the better, so long as the emphasis is still on Nintendo.
-Corrin was a nice surprise for SSB4, even if his game was crap.
-Characters like Blacephalon (USUM) and the E-Shop Bag could make it into Smash if they wanted to.

There, I said them. Fight me.

D

Deleted member

Um…biased much?
I mean considering this is the unpopular opinions thread where people voice their own personal opinions about Smash 5, I don't see what's wrong with bias.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I kinda want the game to be a port. Felt smash 4 didn't have enough time in the sun because of the Wii U's failure. Plus then all the dev time could go to new characters/stages/game modes/balancing rather than reinventing the wheel again.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, since people have been making more than one post, might as well post one more.

Smash 4 has the weakest sound direction of any of the games.

This most evident through the sound track: a good portion of it is ripped right from the source game (including past Smash games), and the new songs/remixes there are vary greatly in quality. The good remixes there are are fantastic, but the ones that are bad are just terrible (the Cynthia remix comes to mind; yes, I hate that rendition, it lacks all of the tension the original had). Plus, a good amount of them remix songs that have already been remixed previously (pointing at all the Jungle Hijinx remixes we got), all while ignoring other classic songs that could've gotten the Smash treatment.

Brawl by far has the best soundtrack of any Smash games; nearly every track is an original remix, and, barring a few exceptions (Environmental Noises...), all of the remixes are either good or fantastic. Plus, being the first time they could remix multiple songs for a single stage, the music selection couldn't have been better. Multiple memorable classics and obscure gems alike have been brought back and arranged beautifully, and (almost) every one of them fit the stage they played in. And the best part is they all feel like they belong in the same game. They all evoke a feeling that just... makes them fit with one another, and gives the soundtrack as a whole an identity. Sm4sh, I feel, fails to evoke that feeling, and so most of the soundtrack feels disjointed.

Another thing that really bugs me about Smash 4's sound direction are the sound effects. They feel cluttered and filtered, and lack the same snappiness and sharpness that previous games had, especially Melee. Hitting someone in Smash sounds like a brick wall crumbled a mile underground, while in Melee, the pure and simple WHAP that you hear when that same action is made feels much more powerful.

And... that's it really.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Heh, you call these unpopular opinions? Here's one for ya.

Smash Brothers first mistake was the concept of veterans. Cut them all every game. No exceptions.

25-30 characters each time.

Michelaar

Smash Cadet
- Dixie kong has no right playing like Diddy at all.
- Out of all Donkey King characters, Cranky Kong would be the best and most unique newcomer.
- Fire emblem deserves more newcomers. If they cut anyone, it should be Roy or Corrin. Corrin was put in purely for promotional purposes, but he/she's unique, so they could get a pass, but Roy honestly should get cut. Lucina is pretty much the face of modern fire emblem, and they could easily make her more unique with a little tweak.
- On that note, Lyn is the one character I do not want to see. She may be popular, yes, but overexposure is really hurting her image. If they need lords from FE7, pick Eliwood (on a horse) or Hector (With an axe.)
- I am not a fan of third party characters, and they should be cut down to size.
- I would be fine with Bayonetta being removed entirely.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Customs are garbage and shouldn't return in any form. Miis are garbage and should not return. No, calling them specials instead of customs does not mean they should come back.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
• Brawl is the best Smash game in a lot of ways. SSE was such a cool idea, the newcomers were awesome, and the stage creator was 10x better.
• Top-level competitive Smash misses the point of what makes Smash great, and while they're very talented and entitled to have fun the way they see fit, I don't think game decisions should be based around the wants of a vocal minority.
• Third Party characters need to stay in their place as fun little guest stars (in fact, I'd be fine with them all being one-off appearances, with new guests each game). People hoping the roster will fill up with "Doom Guy" and "Steve" make me a little sad. If these other companies want to celebrate their history, make their own games. Shouldn't be up to Nintendo to carry the torch for other people's random IPs.
• Some people around here are WAY too attached to fictional characters.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Smash 4 has the weakest sound direction of any of the games.

This most evident through the sound track: a good portion of it is ripped right from the source game (including past Smash games), and the new songs/remixes there are vary greatly in quality. The good remixes there are are fantastic, but the ones that are bad are just terrible (the Cynthia remix comes to mind; yes, I hate that rendition, it lacks all of the tension the original had). Plus, a good amount of them remix songs that have already been remixed previously (pointing at all the Jungle Hijinx remixes we got), all while ignoring other classic songs that could've gotten the Smash treatment.
I agree with you 100%, but I'm surprised you didn't mention what I consider to be by far the worst part of Smash 4's sound direction: the fact that every song in Smash 4 was cut down to 2 minutes.

Here's a good example:

Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, and Cranky Kong all had their parts cut out from the original Melee remix along with the interlude after Cranky Kong's part, creating a smooth loop.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Game modes, expansion of game mechanics, and just stuff to do in general should take priority over roster expansion and this is also why I won't mind the next game being built off the Smash Wii U framework rather than from the ground-up. If the game is just yet another online versus game with basic game modes, I will have little interest and probably won't buy the game full price or at launch even if my most wanted characters are in, especially since online play will cost me money this time. Smash Wii U/3DS were already at a more than acceptable place when it came to the character roster. Outside of Inklings (they're confirmed though so it doesn't matter at this point for speculation), BotW representatives, and third parties, I feel there aren't any "big" characters for Smash anymore. The big Nintendo franchises are represented, those franchises mostly have their most popular characters, and we've got the biggest third parties you could reasonably ask for, and then some. While we're gonna get new characters, of course, I don't think any of them are gonna be on the level of popularity or recognisability as in previous installments, and that's why the roster speculation is boring this time around and why I don't care too much about the roster (I just don't want cuts). Plus, I was burned by Dissidia Final Fantasy NT earlier this year and I don't want this game to end up as barren for content as that game (and for the love of god, have MUCH better online infrastructure than both that game and Smash Wii U/3DS). I know Smash is perfect for promoting Nintendo's recent e-Sports movement but I don't want the game to be "designed for e-Sports" like so many other games of late. It has ruined some of my favourite fighting game franchises so I don't want Smash hit by it. Smash Wii U was pretty bad for content, but Smash 3DS was pretty good, so I'm worried and hopeful at the same time. I hope they take the right things from both games.

That being said, there are some characters I want, but most of them are just "unlikely" rather than "unpopular". The only one that's unpopular is Nia & Dromarch from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, who would be my most wanted Nintendo-owned character. They're the only one of the characters I want that I've seen people actively say they don't want to see in the game (I've brought it up on r/XenobladeChronicles a few times, got downvoted like crazy for suggesting it and people were trying to reach for reasons to say why she shouldn't be in the game). Granted, I still fully expect Rex + Pyra/Mythra, but I think XC2 has a good pool of potential Smash candidates and the Driver/Blade mechanics from the game could make for a variety of Driver/Blade pairs with unique fighting styles, Nia/Dromarch and Tora/Poppi topping that list IMO. Nia is my personal favourite character from the game and I think not only does she have some insane potential for a unique moveset, but I also honestly feel she's one of the best portrayed, most interesting, and charming Nintendo characters of the past decade or so. So I think she'd be a great addition. Though I would be happy with any of the other Driver/Blade pairs or one of the villains either.

Also, we should be calling it Smash 6 if anything, not Smash 5.

D

Deleted member

I have yet another unpopular opinion.
People who use the word "deserving" show very clear bias and entitlement. I cannot stand that word.
Same with "All-Star". Whenever someone uses that word, my first instinct is to post the intro of the first Shrek movie.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't believe in the notion that we have few good newcomer characters left (given how often it's stated that we are "scraping the bottom of the barrel").

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it's entirely possible and fairly likely that we won't get any Fire Emblem or Pokemon newcomers this game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
1. Reduce the number of characters from the Super Mario Bros. Fire Emblem, and Pokémon series.

2. Remove Toon Link. There should only be a single protagonist as a representative for a series. Having Toon Link is akin to having Paper Mario when the game has Mario, or Donkey Kong Jr. when we have Donkey Kong, who is actually the junior anyway.

2.a. If Sheik should be removed (doubtful), make her Impa with the same or similar moveset. Impa is an actual Sheikah. The trophy for her in Sm4sh says, "Her combat skills are on level with Ghirahim's swordmanship and magic." That is an important detail. Should she have a blade, make it the Eightfold Blade, which is "A single-edged sword traditional to the Sheikah tribe." No kunai. Impa never used such weapon.

3. Don't bring Bayonetta back. If she returns, nerf her hard or make changes to her movset so that she cannot just continuously combo her opponent to the sky. Yes, I know of SDI, but even other characters have limits to their combos at certain percents for both them and their opponent. No character, except Bayonetta, has a triple jump technique.

4. Characters undeserving of kill throws shouldn't have any. This includes Peach, Toon Link, Captain Falcon, Marth, Roy, Olimar, Sonic, Greninja, Lucina, Corrin, and Villager.

5. Characters who never demonstrated the ability to wall-jump shouldn't be capable of doing so.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree with you 100%, but I'm surprised you didn't mention what I consider to be by far the worst part of Smash 4's sound direction: the fact that every song in Smash 4 was cut down to 2 minutes.
Not necessarily. The Master Core BGM is over 3 minutes long, so there are some exceptions. Still, it made no sense to decrease the length of the DK Rap, along with Crimean Army Sortie.

Sprite

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Personally, Dr. Mario is the most fun character for me to play as, and I would be very upset if he gets cut

Also stop adding 3rd party characters

And this is a Nintendo fighting game. If a character that isn't on a Nintendo console (Cloud) gets in, then what's even the point any more.

And I want Pichu back.

And I people who want clones to become pallets swaps need to look at sakurai's quotes on clones:

Finally, Snake shouldn't come back

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-3rd party franchises are best off with 1 playable character. If they have their own unique spin-off series, that are at that point their own game series(see: What Wario became), then that's a bit less of an issue.
-Customs are really fun to use, equipment included. The way you get them is not.
-Alph is best off as an alt as the Pikmin already encompass the whole point of the franchise, not the Captains, who are all completely interchangeable.
-I prefer Rabbids over Rayman
-Despite not liking Cloud or his game, I still think he deserved the spot far more than any other Final Fantasy character.
-I'd rather have Shovel Knight than Crash too.
-Banjo & Kazooie don't very much interest me and I feel Master Chief, Fulgore/Jago, and Steve? are vastly more deserving for being more iconic and important characters to the overall history of gaming(not that B&K are bad choices, of course. I own the first two games and they're amazing)
-Clones are healthy and if anything, a few could use slightly more changes(Lucina and Dark Pit, a little bit with Toon Link, like a new Final Smash).

Almand

Smash Journeyman
1. As much as I hate Sonic, I don't think he should be nerfed or reworked at all. He's meant to be quick but powerful with an attitude (aka annoyance), and Spin Dash covers pretty much all of that. The only thing that might be a little too much is his power, Bair and F-Smash are great kill options, and could serve to be a bit less strong, but it's not needed.

2. I don't mind clones. I like them, in fact. I really don't get the whole argument of "Daisy won't be added since she'll just be a clone of Peach," or the idea of Daisy as a Peach clone being a bad thing. Sure, I'd prefer a non-clone, we all would (I'm a strong Daisy advocate, obviously), but it's the character we want. If she gets in at all, mission accomplished! If she has a fresh moveset, wonderful! If she's literally Peach but slower and more powerful, great! I'll still play her, because it's Daisy. I wanted her, not the concept of a Mario Sports-based character.

D

Deleted member

In this post, I'm going to elaborate on some of my opinions in the first post I made here, and post a few new ones.
  • I do not give a **** about "reps" and they should never be the reason for a character to be included. I couldn't care less if a series is "underrepresented" - if there's no character from that series that can get in for their own merits, it shouldn't recieve a newcomer.
The most glaring example of that, in my opinion, is Impa, who I already mentioned in another post - most people want her just because she's another Zelda character and she's the most recurring of them, even though she's usually either an old lady that isn't fighter material, or a ninja (which overlaps with Sheik's archetype).
She's usually rather unimportant too from what I understand... I don't see what gives her an edge over popular one-offs that have more interesting moveset options and have seemingly made a bigger impact on the franchise as a whole. The way I see it she's a Zelda rep for the sake of a Zelda rep.
  • 3rd party characters aren't added for marketing a game in their series that just came out on a Nintendo system. It never happened.
This is for people who think they're gonna add Crash or Doomguy or whatnot because they have a Switch port (ignoring the timing issues, and coming from someone who wants Crash). If they're added, it's because they're iconic or are massively requested.
  • Unless I actively dislike the character or the series they're from, I have no problem with any character inclusion.
There are some exceptions to that...
For one I'd be pretty upset if we got Marx over Bandana Dee as it would prove Sakurai bias does indeed exist and there's virtually no reason to add him over any other Kirby characters (ESPECIALLY the unique and consistently relevant and popular Bandana Dee)... I do like Marx but it'd be very hypocritical of Sakurai to add him over Bandana Dee when characters like King K. Rool were dismissed for irrelevance.
  • On the same note, if I like a character and think they're interesting, I will likely at least consider supporting them, regardless of wether Nintendo owns them or not.
This transcends relevance/importance/popularity, franchise they're from, being 3rd party or first party and whatnot. There are some exceptions, but none that I can think of at the moment.

Moving on...
  • I'm torn on changing veterans too much. While I dislike the idea of alienating players from a playstyle they like, there are some characters that I feel are massively wasted in terms of movesets. I'd like to at least let players have the option to choose between them.
  • If I didn't make it clear in my first post, I think ""reps"" are stupid.
  • Generally I don't mind clones as they take little to no additional resources to make, unless their moveset potential is massively wasted. That said, I'm not actively asking for them.
  • I find Simon Belmont to be a boring choice for a newcomer. If we had to have a playable character for Castlevania, I'd rather have Alucard.
  • With that said, I'd prefer a stage and some music as far as Castlevania content goes.
  • People who think Bandana Dee is bland are ignoring the possibility of him using his parasol alongside his spear... there's also the elemental spear attacks from Star Allies though it's probably too late for these...
  • 3rd parties are great and there's nothing wrong with adding a lot of them if there are plenty of Nintendo characters on the roster.
  • I don't get wanting a character because they're "deserving".
  • I don't care about competitive Smash at the slightest.
  • Retros are massively overrated, the only one that I want is Takamaru. Not saying I'm actively against the others, but I'm not asking for them. I see little appeal in adding old characters for the sake of it.
  • Decidueye is not a "forced bandwagon". People should stop making assumptions. I also find it absolutely mind boggling that so many people in this thread call him that considering the other characters they support, ****ing get some self-awareness you guys.
That's all I've got for now. Stay tuned for some more.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
This is for people who think they're gonna add Crash or Doomguy or whatnot because they have a Switch port (ignoring the timing issues, and coming from someone who wants Crash). If they're added, it's because they're iconic or are massively requested.
As an avid Doomguy supporter, I agree, since I wanted him even before the Switch port was announced because I think he's got some more merit than that backing him up. Hell, you've got characters like Mega Man who were added in despite having a series that looked to be dead at the point.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't make Final Smashes too weak. And while I'm on this subject, don't make the easiest CPU have the habit of always air dodging nearly every single Final Smash that exists; this makes pulling off certain Final Smashes almost impossible, such as Infernal Climax.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The most glaring example of that, in my opinion, is Impa, who I already mentioned in another post - most people want her just because she's another Zelda character and she's the most recurring of them, even though she's usually either an old lady that isn't fighter material, or a ninja (which overlaps with Sheik's archetype).
She's usually rather unimportant too from what I understand... I don't see what gives her an edge over popular one-offs that have more interesting moveset options and have seemingly made a bigger impact on the franchise as a whole. The way I see it she's a Zelda rep for the sake of a Zelda rep.
I prefer fewer Zelda characters because I already think there are plenty. Toon Link is unnecessary because Link already represents the protagonist of the series. My roster for Zelda characters would be limited to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf if I had any say in the matter. However, because I doubt this will ever occur, I would be content with Sheik being replaced with Impa. This change would be seen as unnecessary by many, I'm sure, since I wouldn't see any reason to remove Sheik's moveset entirely. Impa could have the same or similar moveset to Sheik, but be referred to as Impa instead and be given a different appearance. The essentials of Sheik would be there.

Zelda needs an overhaul for her moveset. Consider also that the reason why Zelda became Sheik wasn't so she could combat Ganondorf. In fact, she never fights once in OoT. Zelda is Sheik for the sake of remaining hidden from Ganondorf. The entire moveset may be what Sheik could do, but at the end of the day, it was Impa who trained Zelda. Impa is also a natural-born Sheikah. She's not a Hylian like Zelda. Those red eyes and tanned skin Sheik is sporting? Yeah, purely magical. The Zelda-Sheik relationship could be treated like so: Sheik is like the main course, while Zelda is the side dish. Even if Impa was a Zelda rep for the sake of being a Zelda rep, what is Sheik?

I use Sheik as a secondary, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom