• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm down for another Fire Emblem character or two... especially Anna. She is undeniably the series' mascot and could be an easy way to show off any and all other types of weapons.
I mean eventually, yes, I agree. Some people get hung up on how many fighters a series has, but some series just have more characters, and Fire Emblem (as well as Pokemon) is a good example of that. So far Robin is the best representation of the FE series in general, but yeah other weapon types would be great.

That new meter building Final Smash mechanic thing is cool and should be tourney legal.

I don't know if customs are coming back. If they aren't, I'm going to miss them. I loved customs in Smash 4.
I am REALLY looking forward to using the meter Final Smash thing. The Smash ball is perfect for multiplayer chaos, but when you're trying to play competitively, it's not fun to chase it around--in fact sometimes it'll just fly off because no one could break it. Anyway not like I care about official tournaments but it was probably designed with them in mind.

Completely agree about custom moves. I'm sure they're gone in this installment, but I would love for them to return. Along with Mii Fighters, they were seriously hampered by their online restrictions. Why couldn't they at least have been allowed in For Fun? Don't understand why Sakurai would implement a new feature and then not allow you to use it? o.O

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’m a little weirded out by the boner certain people in the fandom have for F!Corrin. While I’ve never particularly cared for the character, I always found her voice to be extremely grating, and a part of me thinks the reason people push for her over M!Corrin as the default because “muh waifus” and “muh gender roles”. I also don’t even see the big issue about it, so what if she isn’t present first on the CSS? It’s not like she isn’t in the game at all. Just switch to her with the press of a button and that’s that!

31fps

Banned via Warnings
I personally don't like the massive inclusion of third parties and guests. I wish we could just focus more on decent Nintendo characters rather than whoever comes to out head. I really like the unofficial rule where third parties only get one fighter. That's all they deserve.

People would say, "If Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta can get in, the Sky's now the limit, surely my most wanted can get in," and it became this ****storm of people whining that their most wanted deserved to be in for three years and it started to get really unreasonable and annoying.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
People over-blow how unique certain characters would be simply due to their weapon. Specifically when it comes to Fire Emblem. People always bring up the different weapon types, but I'm 90% sure that if someone like Hector was added he'd just generically swing his axe like Ike does. Same goes with spears. Ephraim would probably just generically lunge his lance at opponents with animations reminiscent of sword users already in the game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I loved the brutality of Ganon's old smash attacks and wish we kept them over the meme sword.

Dodge staling and air dodge restrictions are pointless limitations. (But at least they don't hurt anything, and are elegantly designed)

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
I just don't like the idea of d-air dodge. I can't really explain why very well, but I just prefer only air dodges.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just because they didn't came with the same package with Ridley and K.Rool doesn't mean all Smash For newcomers weren't requested.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
-I used to hate when Melee players would try to weigh in and complain that Ultimate isn't Melee V2 but after playing some other platform fighters I really do kind of hope we get more hitstun and Wavelanding at least.

-I don't think I can be friends with anyone who thinks FE should get more fighters than it already has, how is 7 not enough for you people?
-on that note I'm going to deliberately try to avoid unlocking certain characters (:ultcorrin::ultroy::ultchrom:) so I never have to see them on my CCS, though I'll probably unlock them on accident trying to get a character I want lol

-Seeing people bemoan Isabelle blew me away, I was so shocked people were actually upset that a general Nintendo direct had a big reveal that wasn't Smash related, do they think Smash is the only fanbase worth appealing to? I know plenty of people who love AC but don't care about Smash at all.

-I believe ballot should take top priority, getting another Wii Fit style character (read: WTF/Retro rep) would just feel like a waste considering how high emotions are over potential fighters.

-I find it strange people are so willing to believe text leaks or follow silly theories, I thought we learned our lesson after the Gematsu Leak.

-All nerfs to Cloud are valid and extremely necessary

-I used to hate the idea of Rayman in Smash, now I don't but no matter how hard I try I will always hate his design and find him extremely ugly to look at, he's done nothing wrong but I can't stand his design.
The Gematsu Leak was valid, just early info which data mine confirmed

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I personally don't like the massive inclusion of third parties and guests. I wish we could just focus more on decent Nintendo characters rather than whoever comes to out head. I really like the unofficial rule where third parties only get one fighter. That's all they deserve.

People would say, "If Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta can get in, the Sky's now the limit, surely my most wanted can get in," and it became this ****storm of people whining that their most wanted deserved to be in for three years and it started to get really unreasonable and annoying.
It's weird that I agree with this, but I do. I've wanted Rayman/Bomberman for a long time, but the amount of 3rd parties have gone too far. I miss the idea of one per company. I always wanted Sonic, Pac, MegaMan, Rayman, and Bomberman, with maybe Geno.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
-I find it strange people are so willing to believe text leaks or follow silly theories, I thought we learned our lesson after the Gematsu Leak.
Gematsu, who got 9 out of 11 characters right? 1 of which was planned (Chorus Kids)?

He only messed up when he tried to gain more credibility ("July 14th is when Shulk is being revealed") because the leaker got the wrong character.

Gematsu was definitely legit, just like Vergeben.

Can't comment on the theories, though. I don't ever follow those.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Young Link's kit feels way too similar to Toon Link's. It's almost as if they were echoes of eachother. With that said, I'd like Y. Link to not simply pick up the Transformation Masks from Majora, and instead only use them for Specials (Like Deku Glide for Up-B and Zora's Boomerang for Side-B) I think he'd be a much more versatile character with the TP Hero Shade Moves, which would actually tie in better for the lore.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Definitely gonna ruffle some feathers with this one, but I think that if Animal Crossing still has playable representation in the next Smash (basically, in the event that the next Smash isn't a roster-slashing reboot), Villager should be cut and Isabelle should remain as the sole representative of the Animal Crossing series. Call me crazy, but I always thought the series only needed one catch-all rep to begin with, and Villager was added at a time when AC was deserving of a place in Smash, but didn't have a bonafide mascot yet, which it now has in Isabelle. It makes sense for them to both be here now given the whole "everyone is here" angle, but for future games, I think having two similar AC reps would be pretty superfluous, especially considering one of them is just a placeholder avatar character whereas the other is the definitive mascot.
[flame shield]

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Definitely gonna ruffle some feathers with this one, but I think that if Animal Crossing still has playable representation in the next Smash (basically, in the event that the next Smash isn't a roster-slashing reboot), Villager should be cut and Isabelle should remain as the sole representative of the Animal Crossing series. Call me crazy, but I always thought the series only needed one catch-all rep to begin with, and Villager was added at a time when AC was deserving of a place in Smash, but didn't have a bonafide mascot yet, which it now has in Isabelle. It makes sense for them to both be here now given the whole "everyone is here" angle, but for future games, I think having two similar AC reps would be pretty superfluous, especially since Villager is just a placeholder avatar character whereas Isabelle is the definitive mascot.
[flame shield]
I actually agree. I mean, I've come to adore both Villager and Isabelle, but between the blank slate and the adorable dog secretary, there's no secret which one is more popular and more liked overall/ is the series mascot.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Definitely gonna ruffle some feathers with this one, but I think that if Animal Crossing still has playable representation in the next Smash (basically, in the event that the next Smash isn't a roster-slashing reboot), Villager should be cut and Isabelle should remain as the sole representative of the Animal Crossing series. Call me crazy, but I always thought the series only needed one catch-all rep to begin with, and Villager was added at a time when AC was deserving of a place in Smash, but didn't have a bonafide mascot yet, which it now has in Isabelle. It makes sense for them to both be here now given the whole "everyone is here" angle, but for future games, I think having two similar AC reps would be pretty superfluous, especially since Villager is just a placeholder avatar character whereas Isabelle is the definitive mascot.
[flame shield]
Don't Star Fox and Earthbound have only similar characters, too?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I want King Dedede and Meta Knight to have their voice actors from the anime, and their taunts are their famous lines.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
  • I don't think Isabelle's reveal trailer was that bad. It certainly isn't my favorite (that K Rool trailer was hilarious), but for what it was, I thought it was pretty well done. If anything, it was better than the Ridley trailer.
  • I never minded the rage mechanic from Smash 4.
  • Not only should Sheik not still be in Smash Bros, but she should have never been implemented in Smash Bros. in the first place
  • I don't think third party characters should get more than one character to represent their series.
  • This should be Sakurai's final Smash Bros. game. Even though the guy has given us so much, I want him to step down from the series and I really want to see what direction a new director would take us.
  • I don't understand the hype behind Geno. I've never played Super Mario RPG, so I wouldn't know. What makes Geno stand out? Is he even that good? What makes him good for Smash over that other guy (I think Mallow was the name)?
  • I'd really like to see Jeanne as an echo fighter of Bayonetta. I think she'd be a cool character.
  • I want a Fire Emblem character for every type of weapon (Sword, Lance, Axe, Fire Magic, Water Magic, Wind Magic, Dark Magic, Archer, Dragon, Horseback Rider, Dragon Rider, Flying Horse Thing Rider).
  • Now that I think about it, a Pokemon character for all 18 types would be pretty neato as well.
  • The whole "Everyone is Here" thing is a lot less impressive than it seems (there were only 6 characters to be brought back you guys. What does Young Link add that the other two Links don't? And lets be real here, nobody is going to main Pichu.)

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I really don't like 'hype' culture. By that I mean the thinking that 'this character should be in Smash because it would be hype'. Characters should be in because they bring something worthwhile to Smash, not because they cause reaction YouTubers to freak out or the internet to temporarily break. I feel that it's short-sighted to just consider the initial impact over the long term implications: the novelty will soon wear off. It's hype culture that probably explains the mixed reception to Isabelle - just because she's a safe pick doesn't mean she's not a good addition.

Hype culture also leads to the belief that every newcomer has to be bigger than the last. As well as prioritising third-party picks - no matter how unrelated to Nintendo - above all else, it sets up unrealistic expectations. How are we meant to top the third party additions in Smash 4? Eventually, you'll just run out of videogame characters: a dark road which inevitably leads to Goku ...

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I unironically wouldn't mind Goku. It's not like he doesn't have more games on Nintendo systems than most Smash reps.
I don't mind 3rd party characters, as long as Nintendo fan favorites get in.
Fire Emblem needs a mage rep. Personally, either Micaiah because she was one of the protags of RD with Ike, or Tharja because she is popular enough.
I understand the sword-bias criticism for current FE reps and I agree that they should've had at least more diversity in terms of skills (No more Classic FE Counter. Ever. At the very least) but they are fine as is.
Marth should have a style closer to fencing. Lucina already fills his role, Sakurai shouldn't be that afraid of changing.

While on this topic, Samus needs an overhaul asap. If anything, Dark Samus' moveset (Kind of a let down, but ok I guess.) makes it perfect for her to get the Link treatment. Make her based on the Prime Series, 4 is coming.

Probably not unpopular, but Super Missile should be a kill move. Missiles are just sad at this point.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • Not only should Sheik not still be in Smash Bros, but she should have never been implemented in Smash Bros. in the first place
Scientists speculate possibility of Sammerbro44's hottest of takes to be cause of global warming.

I unironically wouldn't mind Goku. It's not like he doesn't have more games on Nintendo systems than most Smash reps.
I don't mind 3rd party characters, as long as Nintendo fan favorites get in.
Fire Emblem needs a mage rep. Personally, either Micaiah because she was one of the protags of RD with Ike, or Tharja because she is popular enough.
I understand the sword-bias criticism for current FE reps and I agree that they should've had at least more diversity in terms of skills (No more Classic FE Counter. Ever. At the very least) but they are fine as is.
Marth should have a style closer to fencing. Lucina already fills his role, Sakurai shouldn't be that afraid of changing.

While on this topic, Samus needs an overhaul asap. If anything, Dark Samus' moveset (Kind of a let down, but ok I guess.) makes it perfect for her to get the Link treatment. Make her based on the Prime Series, 4 is coming.

Probably not unpopular, but Super Missile should be a kill move. Missiles are just sad at this point.
The regular missiles are ****ing trash. They make Snake's Nikita Missile look usable by comparison, which is just sad.

Last edited:

Fibberkick

Smash Cadet
I want Dr.Luigi as a playable character. I want igglypuff as sort of the pichu of jigglypuff. I want fox to be some what bad i find him to be a boring character in all smash games (Yes even in melee). I hate how Daisy got in she seems like dark pit (AKA barely anything is changed) but she seems worse as i have not notice a difference in game-play only how she looks and sounds she is in my opinion the worst clone/echo to ever exist.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
  • Patches change the game too much. I'd rather an unbalanced game that I know will be the same for at least two months than a ever-changing game. Seriously hope they make the last patch within the first year.
  • While 102 stages is a great number, I feel like the game lacks stages because almost 100% of that number are past stages.
  • I want someone from Fire Emblem Heroes (Sharena or Anna) in the game, even if DLC.
  • People must start to admit that not a single franchise is that bad represented now that King K.Rool fixed Dk situation. While Dixie is a great choice, it's not like it would be absurd to not have her, unfornately.
  • It's easy to see that no Smash5 newcomer had made the impact that Sonic and Cloud inclusion did before. While I never played Kingdom Hearts, I feel that Crash Bandicoot and Sora are the unique characters that can achieve something near that level.
  • If the game is planned to get more than 5 newcomers as DLC, I'm betting one of them will not be a videogame character. It's not time to be so surprised with something like Goku/Mickey anymore, Smash is a mess.
  • I'd rather have Spring Man as playable in the game release because if he's not, then it's a confirmed DLC. Would rather to pay for another character.
  • I kinda don't care for single-player modes. Just give me a great online and I'd never ask for a Subspace again.
  • I think Sakurai thought of the balloon effect as a way to give the impression the game is fast, but it backfired because people got this hidden meaning of the mechanic. At least from the K.Rool vs Snake match, it seems like is heavily reduced.
  • Patches change the game too much. I'd rather an unbalanced game that I know will be the same for at least two months than a ever-changing game. Seriously hope they make the last patch within the first year.
  • While 102 stages is a great number, I feel like the game lacks stages because almost 100% of that number are past stages.
  • I want someone from Fire Emblem Heroes (Sharena or Anna) in the game, even if DLC.
  • People must start to admit that not a single franchise is that bad represented now that King K.Rool fixed Dk situation. While Dixie is a great choice, it's not like it would be absurd to not have her, unfornately.
  • It's easy to see that no Smash5 newcomer had made the impact that Sonic and Cloud inclusion did before. While I never played Kingdom Hearts, I feel that Crash Bandicoot and Sora are the unique characters that can achieve something near that level.
  • If the game is planned to get more than 5 newcomers as DLC, I'm betting one of them will not be a videogame character. It's not time to be so surprised with something like Goku/Mickey anymore, Smash is a mess.
  • I'd rather have Spring Man as playable in the game release because if he's not, then it's a confirmed DLC. Would rather to pay for another character.
  • I kinda don't care for single-player modes. Just give me a great online and I'd never ask for a Subspace again.
  • I think Sakurai thought of the balloon effect as a way to give the impression the game is fast, but it backfired because people got this hidden meaning of the mechanic. At least from the K.Rool vs Snake match, it seems like is heavily reduced.
I'm pretty sure some Yoshi and Wario fans would disagree with that representation situation and I'm not giving up on Dixie yet(doesn't help that Dark Samus got in with that issue).

There's no way we're getting getting a non video game character, it's a licensing nightmare to get ahold of them.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
  • I don't think third party characters should get more than one character to represent their series.
  • I'd really like to see Jeanne as an echo fighter of Bayonetta. I think she'd be a cool character.
Hmmmm... :p

Last edited:

Driver Of The Aegis

Smash Rookie
Really hoping that Mario doesn't get a newcomer, Odyssey moves would be enough and I feel like another character for the franchise at this point would be bottom of the barrel. I know that OP said this isn't a debate thread but I'd be happy if somebody could sway me.
What about Geno

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't want the next Smash to cut any fighters. I like the idea of Smash being a family: Once you're in, you're here to stay.

That being said I would like the next smash to focus more on rewarding underrepresented series' and rewarding them for their patience.

Last edited:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
- I really do hope tripping comes back.
- I wish for even more inescapeable uptilt Combos. I feel like spamming Mario uptilts is the pinacle of punish game.
- I really do hope for Minecraft Steve's Inclusion. He just has so much Moveset Potential and is such an Iconic Character, whose agile Movement would really make an enjoyable Character.
- I want Hitmonchan as a lil Mac Echoe (seriously).

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sheik is Zelda, so she is the second most relevant character in the series. Definitely a mainstay.
Now that's like saying Dr. Mario's the most relevant Mario character, so he's definitely a mainstay as well. I mean, he is just Mario, after all.
And, well, we know that's not true considering the guy got cut once.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now that's like saying Dr. Mario's the most relevant Mario character, so he's definitely a mainstay as well. I mean, he is just Mario, after all.
*looks at Mewtwo*

Oh, how true, all cut characters are unimportant side characters, I forgot.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
*looks at Mewtwo*

Oh, how true, all cut characters are unimportant side characters, I forgot.
I'm just saying, if the man got cut once, it means he's not a mainstay. If anything, it means quite the opposite. Take potshots at my main all you want, but that's the way it is.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sheik aka Zelda never got cut, thus cementing her mainstay status even more.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sheik aka Zelda never got cut, thus cementing her mainstay status even more.
My point is that just being an alternate form of a main character doesn't automatically make a character a "mainstay", especially if said form only appeared in one main-line game and would have been largely forgotten if not for Smash itself. It'd be like if Rookie from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga got in because he's technically Bowser, therefore he's automatically the second most relevant Mario character, even though the character himself is a largely forgotten one-off. Would Rookie be a mainstay as well?

osby

Smash Obsessed
My point is that just being an alternate form of a main character doesn't automatically make a character a "mainstay", especially if said form only appeared in one main-line game and would have been largely forgotten if not for Smash itself. It'd be like if Rookie from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga got in because he's technically Bowser, therefore he's automatically the second most relevant Mario character, even though the character himself is a largely forgotten one-off. Would Rookie be a mainstay as well?
A lot of mainstays (:ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultjigglypuff:) in Smash are "largely forgotten",especially if you count appearing in a multi-platform spin-off in the last five years is being forgotten.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
A lot of mainstays (:ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultjigglypuff:) in Smash are "largely forgotten",especially if you count appearing in a multi-platform spin-off in the last five years is being forgotten.
Sure, but these characters are mainstays due to being iconic within Smash, not due to being arbitrarily tethered to another, more important character. Similarly, if Sheik is a mainstay, which I'd argue she isn't, it's not because "she's Zelda."

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sheik and Zelda are fine. My problem is that all of the Zelda reps we've gotten are just different versions of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Zelda should have better reps.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Ppl make fun of them but to me, the hat Goomba/Captain Goomba/Goomba with something on their head arguments against Bandana Dee are absolutely valid. Captain Goomba (from Superstar Saga remake) is basically the same thing than Bandana Dee to me, and he even wins in personality. He only doesn't have the popularity

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ppl make fun of them but to me, the hat Goomba/Captain Goomba/Goomba with something on their head arguments against Bandana Dee are absolutely valid. Captain Goomba (from Superstar Saga remake) is basically the same thing than Bandana Dee to me, and he even wins in personality. He only doesn't have the popularity
Bandana dee is everything more than any toad or goomba will ever be. But please take that argument to the speculation threads (Although I will say that opinion is incredibly unpopular so I guess it belongs here).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom