• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Nevertheless, point still stands. If your sensibilities are easily hurt for having your way of thinking challenged then you shouldn’t be here.
And there you go going against the rules of the topic again.

Look, if you can't follow the rules for a topic, you shouldn't be in that topic. There are other topics you can go argue with people in. Go there.

And back to unpopular Smash Opinions ... I don't think Master Hand or Crazy hand need to return as end bosses. They've lost their impact. Give us something new.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And there you go going against the rules of the topic again.

Look, if you can't follow the rules for a topic, you shouldn't be in that topic. There are other topics you can go argue with people in. Go there.

And back to unpopular Smash Opinions ... I don't think Master Hand or Crazy hand need to return as end bosses. They've lost their impact. Give us something new.
To be fair, my initial post was more of a general thought rather than engaging someone directly, to work around the rules. You were the one who engaged me, so perhaps you should follow the rules as well, don’t you think bud?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Here's one.
I prefer Smash to have a ton of obscure characters, even ones I'm not very familiar with, from older titles, as opposed to the break out darling characters in the latest, and currently most popular games. It's no exaggeration when I say that Super Smash Bros is the series that is responsible for introducing me to most video game franchises I enjoy that don't feature Mario or Pokemon.
I actually get quite annoyed when people insist Smash should only feature iconic and well known characters. In my opinion, that rule should only apply to third parties.
Being exposed to and learning about characters I'm unfamiliar with is great and more often than not it gets me curious enough to want to try the games they come from. Even the trophies can do this for me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Here's one.
I prefer Smash to have a ton of obscure characters, even ones I'm not very familiar with, from older titles, as opposed to the break out darling characters in the latest, and currently most popular games. It's no exaggeration when I say that Super Smash Bros is the series that is responsible for introducing me to most video game franchises I enjoy that don't feature Mario or Pokemon.
I actually get quite annoyed when people insist Smash should only feature iconic and well known characters. In my opinion, that rule should only apply to third parties.
Being exposed to and learning about characters I'm unfamiliar with is great and more often than not it gets me curious enough to want to try the games they come from. Even the trophies can do this for me.
This. If Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming history, then what good does it do if it just shows people the same characters they've already seen a thousand times before? "Iconic" characters sell Smash, but obscure characters make Smash what it is.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think the older and more obscure characters get people talking more than the new popular guys.

You get all the "BAM! Guess who's back!?!" and "who is this unknown stranger?" conversations.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
While I think Dixie is cool, I don't think we need her and would rather have someone else.

Having the two main characters and the baddie of the DK series seems like plenty.

I don't doubt her chances though, I bet she will get in as DLC, if she was going to be in the base game they would have announced her along with King K Rool imo.

Even more unpopular, if we NEED another DK rep....Lanky Kong pls.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
One of my unpopular opinions is this:
Since no matter who they remove someone is going to be butthurt, next smash they shouldn't remove anyone and instead focus on balancing the roster by adding a ton of fighters.
Super Mario: Right now they've hit the bottom of the barrel. Unless Geno or Waluigi become more important characters sometime in the next 7-10 years I don't see Sakurai adding them. Which leaves Captain Toad, and they'll find some way to incorporate him.
DK: They should just add Funky, Dixie, and Cranky. That's 6. We're done.
Zelda: Personally I like Linkle and Impa as newcomers. Skull Kid is also another good choice.
Metroid: Sylux...and then you run out of Metroid characters.
Yoshi. Yarn yoshi echo?
Kirby: BWD, Magolor, marx, Adeline and Ribbon, Gooey. and maybe Masked Dedede as an echo.
Star Fox: Krystal? tehre isn't a huge pool to pick from.
Pokemon: Doesn't really need a newcomer. We have enough.
Earthbound: Ninten echo, Porky, masked man.
F-Zero: Nuthin
FE: Same as Pokemon
Kid Icarus: Viridi. And maybe Hades and/or Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley. Please.
Splatoon: octoling echo, Callie, Marie.
Castlevania: Alucard.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
As for popular 3rd party newcomers (Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Sora, & Banjo and Kazzoie)
I don't really want any of them but Banjo and Kazzoie or Sora could be cool

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ok, here be a new one post Direct:
At everyone who was disappointed at how brief the Smash news was on the 13th: now you know how all the fans of other Nintendo IPs, as well as some of the general audience wanting to see more releases for the Switch, felt when Smash took up 2/3rds of the e3 Direct.

The fact that it was used as a Segway to confirm AC for the Switch makes it even more poetic since that was the group most let down by the e3 presentation as well.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm mostly glad Isabelle is in so I can make her my punching bag when training.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unpopular opinion
Ok, here be a new one post Direct:
At everyone who was disappointed at how brief the Smash news was on the 13th: now you know how all the fans of other Nintendo IPs, as well as some of the general audience wanting to see more releases for the Switch, felt when Smash took up 2/3rds of the e3 Direct.

The fact that it was used as a Segway to confirm AC for the Switch makes it even more poetic since that was the group most let down by the e3 presentation as well.
I always felt this way about their E3. Nintendo COULD'VE shown SO much but they didn't. I wasn't expecting any surprise announcements (the MOST I was expecting was Odyssey DLC and we didn't even get that). I felt if Nintendo had shown Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon Let's Go, and Smash Bros. that would've been amazing direct and while yes we did get Super Mario Party and Daemon X Machina as reveals. Let's be honest Daemon X Machina simply wasn't hype due to it being a weird niche looking new IP and Super Mario Party while looks fun isn't a HYPE E3 announcement. We did get Fire Emblem and Pokemon but they were so briefly featured they might as well not even have been there. But instead we got a Smash direct....

GammaMax

Smash Rookie
I, personally, am not to crazy about some of the new comers. I know that Ridley and King K. Rool were characters that a lot of people wanted, but I myself, never grew up with Metroid or Donkey Kong Country. It's still cool that they're in the game though. I personal would like to see a rhythm heaven representative, and see Bandana Waddle Dee in the game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People are getting way too pessimistic over a picture of a box. And I say that as someone who thought we weren't getting any more stages until the Corocoro leak happened.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I, personally, am not to crazy about some of the new comers. I know that Ridley and King K. Rool were characters that a lot of people wanted, but I myself, never grew up with Metroid or Donkey Kong Country. It's still cool that they're in the game though. I personal would like to see a rhythm heaven representative, and see Bandana Waddle Dee in the game.
While I respect your opinion. Have you tried going back and playing some Metroid and DKC games? Everytime I see someone go "Cool for their fans but I don't know who they are/don't see the appeal" I always think "Wow they are missing out they should go back and play some of these games since these games are some of the best games of all time"

I'm gonna be honest here before Brawl released the only Nintendo franchises I played were Mario, DK,and Pokemon spin-offs. After I experienced Brawl I immediately went to see all the franchises I was missing. I've become a huge fan of all Nintendo franchises since. I bought every 1st party title on Wii and bought like over 50 VC games to catch up.

My first Zelda game was Twilight Princess. I LOVED it so much I bought Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Zelda NES, Zelda 2, and ALTTP off the Wii VC. Also bought Link's Crossbow Training. Then bought Phantom Hourglass on DS. Played all of them and I enjoyed what I played of them (except Phantom Hourglass that game sucks). Haven't missed a Zelda release yet (except Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks).

My first Metroid game was Metroid: Prime 3: Corruption. I LOVED it. Went and bought Super Metroid and Metroid on the Wii VC. Then bought Other M and Prime Trilogy when they released on Wii. Super excited for Prime 4 and eventually bought Fusion when it hit Wii U VC. Bought Metroid 2: Return of Samus on 3DS VC.

My first Star Fox game was actually Adventures I played it before Brawl came out over a friends house when I was younger didn't really care for it back then. But after Brawl I went and bought Star Fox 64 on the Wii VC. I LOVED it so much I went and bought a copy of Assault and played it on my Wii (really enjoyed it). Then I bought 64 3D on my 3DS and Command on Wii U VC as well as Zero. (Though I hated both Command and Zero) getting Starlink: Battle for Atlas day one though.

My first Fire Emblem game was Radiant Dawn on Wii. I remember really liking it but never finishing it because it was hard as hell. I bought Awakening on 3DS and loved it. I skipped over Fates and Echoes because I was over the 3DS by the time they came out but am really looking forward to Three Houses.

My first mainline Pokemon game was Diamond on DS. Needless to say I didn't really care for it (not an RPG guy) but I bought X and OmegaRuby on 3DS thinking "maybe I should give it another shot" needless to say they didn't grab me either. I'm gonna give Pokemon Let's Go a shot because I think the "casualness" of it (as well as it being on a home console) will bring me into the fray hopefully.

My first Warioware game was Smooth Moves and I adored that game. Bought D.I.Y when it came out enjoyed it as well. I also got Game & Wario on Wii U and thought the game was "meh" the only Wario game I played prior to Brawl was Wario World on GCN and thought it was okay. I also got Wario: Master of Disguise on DS in 2007 and that game is HORRIBLE! I bought Wario Land: Shake It on Wii and thought it was awesome. Which made me go buy the previous Wario Land games on Wii U/3DS VC.

My first Animal Crossing game was City Folk. While Brawl didn't have a Animal Crossing character I was always intrigued by the stage/trophies. I fell in love with it and the series. Bought New Leaf on 3DS and put HOURS into it. Super excited for Animal Crossing on Switch.

Now for my experience with Kirby...I played Air Ride a LOT as a kid but it was the only Kirby game I ever played before Brawl came out. I decided to go on the Wii VC and buy Kirby's Adventure, Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, and Kirby Superstar as well as Kirby Dream Course and Avalanche. Enjoyed them all except Dreamland 3 and Dream Course as well as Avalanche. So I bought Epic Yarn on Wii when it was released and it became my favorite Kirby game next to Adventure. Until I bought Triple Deluxe on 3DS which became my new favorite. I skipped over Return to Dreamland, Battle Royale, and Planet Robobot as both released on their systems after I stopped playing them. I bought Rainbow Curse on Wii U thought it was "okay" and bought Star Allies and also thought it was "okay kinda boring"

Then Kid Icarus. Bought the original on Wii VC. Thought it was fun but hard..didn't beat it. But I bought Uprising when it released on 3DS and loved it.

Bought Ice Climber too on Wii VC and thought the game was terrible. lol

Lastly I tried the Pikmin series after Brawl bought the New Play Control version of Pikmin when it released on Wii. I enjoyed it but it was stressful. lol With the time limit and micro managing and stuff. Then got Pikmin 3 when it released on Wii U and didn't put much time on it...just couldn't get into it but I'm glad I tried the series.

Wow this post became much longer than I expected basically what I'm saying is go back and try some of the franchises you missed you won't be disappointed. I've become a much bigger fan of Nintendo as a whole thanks to Smash Bros. Me as a gamer couldn't be happier that I opened my horizons a little bit more. I'm shocked at just how many people on this site haven't played a lot of Nintendo franchises/games actually.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think that'd make a good thread actually; what games did you try as a result of Smash. I'm sure it's probably been done before but I haven't seen one myself.

Onto Unpopular Opinions:
I feel like a lot of the fandoms that form here are bandwagons people latch onto whenever either a leak occurs or a new game is revealed. It leaves a nasty taste in my mouth realising that a lot of the character support is so damn fleeting and fickle.
Take Skull Kid for example; whilst semi popular he really blew up last month but with the box theory discussion going around I don't see him being brought up nearly as much. Isaac's support too fluctuated greatly although he's always had a solid fan support behind him.

It's actually one thing I really like about the Ashley fanbase even if I don't support the character myself, I can see they genuinely really are very excited about the prospect of her and enjoy talking about her a lot.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I think that'd make a good thread actually; what games did you try as a result of Smash. I'm sure it's probably been done before but I haven't seen one myself.

Onto Unpopular Opinions:
I feel like a lot of the fandoms that form here are bandwagons people latch onto whenever either a leak occurs or a new game is revealed. It leaves a nasty taste in my mouth realising that a lot of the character support is so damn fleeting and fickle.
Take Skull Kid for example; whilst semi popular he really blew up last month but with the box theory discussion going around I don't see him being brought up nearly as much. Isaac's support too fluctuated greatly although he's always had a solid fan support behind him.

It's actually one thing I really like about the Ashley fanbase even if I don't support the character myself, I can see they genuinely really are very excited about the prospect of her and enjoy talking about her a lot.
I totally agree, as both a major Skull Kid and Decidueye supporter, I know first hand that some characters really do just exist as trends. Now, I still think the mask boy has a decent shot of making it in, at least as dlc, but still. Deci is likely dead though due to Verge having consistent credibility

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
I really, really hope Bayonetta and Cloud don't get "nerfed into oblivion." It'd be so dumb having two completely useless characters in the game. I don't understand why people are so salty or why people genuinely want the characters to be bottom tier.

D

Deleted member

While I respect your opinion. Have you tried going back and playing some Metroid and DKC games? Everytime I see someone go "Cool for their fans but I don't know who they are/don't see the appeal" I always think "Wow they are missing out they should go back and play some of these games since these games are some of the best games of all time"
Wow this post became much longer than I expected basically what I'm saying is go back and try some of the franchises you missed you won't be disappointed. I've become a much bigger fan of Nintendo as a whole thanks to Smash Bros. Me as a gamer couldn't be happier that I opened my horizons a little bit more. I'm shocked at just how many people on this site haven't played a lot of Nintendo franchises/games actually.
It's like looking into a mirror... almost. My "first games in each series" are different but I too was only a Mario, DK, and Pokemon fan until Smash.
Definitely think this should be a thread if it isn't already! I can trace my fondness for Metroid and probably Kirby to Smash Bros. 64 (and back in those days if the Nintendo 64 was basically your first console, you didn't know who Samus was), and I also tried out games in several other franchises as well.

Buuut to keep it slightly on topic I will add an unpopular opinion I have is that Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of my absolute favorite Kirby games, and I know this is unpopular. I find its simplicity, artstyle, music and characters super charming and adorable--it just makes me happy to play. Plus I have fond memories of playing it co-op with my sister. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I got one. I think series that already have a character in Smash, and hasn't gotten a new game since the DS/Wii era should not get another character. I think newcomers from new franchises (whether recent or retro) should take priority. I think it would be interesting to see if retro characters potentially get a new installment like Kid Icarus did, or a wave of interest like how Fire Emblem did. If Captain Falcon, Ness and Lucas didn't leave enough of an impact for their franchise to get anything since the last time, I don't see how Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Porky, Ninten or Claus would do anything to help.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Here's one.
Real talk. A part of me is hating what Smash is becoming or has become. I find my self reminiscing over the Smash 64 and Melee days for that personal spark of mystery Smash used to have.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Real talk. A part of me is hating what Smash is becoming or has become. I find my self reminiscing over the Smash 64 and Melee days for that personal spark of mystery Smash used to have.
Eh Smash still has lots of obscure stuff.

I think its less that Smash is changing and more that you're informed and knowledgeable.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Definitely think this should be a thread if it isn't already!
Where would such a thread belong out of curiosity? I'm not saying i'm gonna make it myself but that's definitely a thread I'd want to keep an eye out for, as I've definitely got a wall of text in store for when such a thread does pop up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You don't need to repeat any rules. Report it and let the moderation handle it. I have edited a post/removed a post or two to reflect this a bit.

In addition, the user already feels deep regret over their statement about harassment. Stop bringing it up. It's off-topic and also targeting a user over a past mistake. Trying to constantly get at them is also harassment, people. You need to let it go. The Moderation shouldn't have to monitor this thread because someone is being witch hunted over a past mistake. That is not cool. I'm going to presume not everybody knew the user apologized, which is why I have not handed out any warnings beyond a verbal one, due to simply lack of knowledge. However, after this post, it needs to stop. We will enforce the rules here and no user will be allowed to be witch hunted, even if they happen to be a currently problematic user. We won't tolerate any kind of harassment, even towards users who are less than stellar. That's not acceptable behavior on here or on any thread/part of the site.

In addition, this thread is trying to criticize others way too much instead of simply stating their own negative opinions of the game. Besides that, it may be becoming clear that it's very difficult to avoid criticism so I'm going to talk to the staff. The thread may no longer be a good idea, and while the concept is good in its own right, the drama lately is a serious problem.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You don't need to repeat any rules. Report it and let the moderation handle it. I have edited a post/removed a post or two to reflect this a bit.

In addition, the user already feels deep regret over their statement about harassment. Stop bringing it up. It's off-topic and also targeting a user over a past mistake. Trying to constantly get at them is also harassment, people. You need to let it go. The Moderation shouldn't have to monitor this thread because someone is being witch hunted over a past mistake. That is not cool. I'm going to presume not everybody knew the user apologized, which is why I have not handed out any warnings beyond a verbal one, due to simply lack of knowledge. However, after this post, it needs to stop. We will enforce the rules here and no user will be allowed to be witch hunted, even if they happen to be a currently problematic user. We won't tolerate any kind of harassment, even towards users who are less than stellar. That's not acceptable behavior on here or on any thread/part of the site.

In addition, this thread is trying to criticize others way too much instead of simply stating their own negative opinions of the game. Besides that, it may be becoming clear that it's very difficult to avoid criticism so I'm going to talk to the staff. The thread may no longer be a good idea, and while the concept is good in its own right, the drama lately is a serious problem.
My first post was on this thread. I'll mourn greatly if it gets locked :crying::yoshi:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My first post was on this thread. I'll mourn greatly if it gets locked :crying::yoshi:
Unpopular opinion threads on this site usually don't last forever. At a certain point, they just become unsustainable due to unmanageable size/activity, drama, abundance of low-quality posts/hot takes, or some combination of those factors. It sucks, but it's an inevitability, really.

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular Opinion:
The "Everyone is here" moto has hurt the potential for newcomers as Sakurai had to work on 3 different links, 2 different "Pikachu's", etc.
I am not gonna point fingers at other semi clones and echoes. But as Sakurai has said don't expect many newcomers.
As of 17/9 we have had 5 newcomers and 5 echoes.

In saying this Ice Climbers, Snake and other cool veterans that are unique I am happy with being brought back.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unpopular Opinion:
The "Everyone is here" moto has hurt the potential for newcomers as Sakurai had to work on 3 different links, 2 different "Pikachu's", etc.
I am not gonna point fingers at other semi clones and echoes. But as Sakurai has said don't expect many newcomers.

In saying this Ice Climbers, Snake and other cool veterans that are unique I am happy with being brought back.
I completely agree, and am also disappointed with this direction. "Everyone is Here" is only truly important in the few unique newcomers we lost. Otherwise, bringing back old versions of characters with no significant changes is a humongous waste of resources.

In fact, this falls into my umbrella criticism about Sakurai and Smash: He's too afraid of change or "alienating the current fans", but he keeps making spur-of-the-moment decisions that heavily affect the future of the game franchise purely out of convenience. Character clones especially as they aren't unique, are inaccurate, and stay that way for pretty much ever, especially echoes as it appears.

I firmly believe that sometimes, things that are cut are cut for good reason and sometimes time spent on bringing back old things with very few fans has more worth being put into new exciting things that draw in more people and could please far more fans.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think smash should focus on an overall re-balancing of the roster like Brawl did. Pretty even numbers based not on sales or popularity but by interesting character design. I wish we had the luxury of something like that, instead of, "Here's a ton of fighters! Enjoy!"

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to hate the inclusion of Cloud and Bayonetta because its opening up the floodgate for every dumb idea and people point to Cloud as their excuse for their character not being on a Nintendo console or Bayonetta for character not fitting the style of Smash. Yeah, sure, let's just throw in Master Chief, or Goku, or ****ing Shrek with that logic. /s

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm really disappointed with the newcomers thus far.

:ultinkling: - Expected but not wanted at all.

:ultridley: - I'm not a Metroid fan, if I was I'm sure I'd like him. Also think he was a really cool boss, and kinda looks stupid shrunk down, but let's not reopen that can of worms, Sakurai caved due to his popularity, I get it.

:ultdaisy: - Not a character I like but she's just an echo, I play Peach a little so I'll try her out I guess.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - While not a Castlevania fan by any means they look pretty unique and I'll try them out, but again, not characters I am personally hyped made it in.

:ultchrom: - Expected, a good choice for FE, he's an echo so I can't complain too much, but give me some axes and spears, or bows or magic...

:ultdarksamus: - Expected, just another echo, looks cooler than Samus.

:ultkrool: - The only newcomer that I actually wanted and am excited for, he'll probably be bad but I'm gonna play the crap outta him, especially if I'm left with no other newcomers that interest me.

:ultvillager: (Isabelle ofc) - Originally hated it, the wait for the direct was killing me, I guess I expected much more (thats on me). Knew she'd be in, was hoping as just an echo so too much time wasn't wast---spent on her, but now I'm thinking she's unique and it'll be fun to beat up big scary characters with her when I decide to use her, and im torn between thinking it'll be funny to beat her up with actual fighters or I can't hit her because she's so damn cute!

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I'm really underwhelmed so far in terms of new characters, if our only big reveal left is Geno (who I believe will be the last character revealed), that's just another popular character I don't like I guess.

Waluigi is "deconfirmed" yeah but I'm not giving up hope, I haven't seen him in any demo play yet where all the other originally shown ATs have been (possible rng) but I'm stubborn and like him a lot.

Skull Kid might just be a boss which would be cool.

Sora is very very unlikely.

Banjo-Kazooie will be DLC I believe.

Just gimme Isaac ;_;

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I'm starting to hate the inclusion of Cloud and Bayonetta because its opening up the floodgate for every dumb idea and people point to Cloud as their excuse for their character not being on a Nintendo console or Bayonetta for character not fitting the style of Smash. Yeah, sure, let's just throw in Master Chief, or Goku, or ****ing Shrek with that logic. /s
That’s me with Sonic. Snake was part of it back in Brawl, but it’s not like he didn’t touch a Nintendo console back in the day. Although there was a rivalry in the old days and appeared on Nintendo consoles, seems like Sonic was always a curse for his’ or others’ newer games
(especially 3D ones). So it just felt like he was the crack before the actual floodgates burst open.

StormC

Smash Hero
Eh Smash still has lots of obscure stuff.

I think its less that Smash is changing and more that you're informed and knowledgeable.
There's a lot of people who will buy Ultimate and unlock K. Rool thinking "who?" Such an idea amuses me and warms my heart at the same time.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Guys, I think we should add a rule to this thread.

If you find someone's post disagreeable, before you try to shoot them down, begin your reply with, "I respectfully disagree with you." Then all of the flame would die out and we could discuss opinions without acting like a bunch of hooligans.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Here's one.
True. We need obscure picks and characters with star power as well to keep it interesting. I'm glad that lesser Nintendo characters (at the time) like Ness, Captain Falcon, Roy, Ice Climbers, ROB, Lucas, Pit, Shulk, etc. piggybacked off the popularity of Mario, Link, DK and co. cementing themselves in Smash, which helps them remain relevant in a way even if they no longer make appearances on their own series.

It's eye rolling when people say they want only Nintendo flagship characters. MvC Infinite went the safe way on the Marvel side by including mostly MCU picks leaving little room for unusual choices or obscure choices, and because of that the roster lacks diversity.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
True. We need obscure picks and characters with star power as well to keep it interesting. I'm glad that lesser Nintendo characters (at the time) like Ness, Captain Falcon, Roy, Ice Climbers, ROB, Lucas, Pit, Shulk, etc. piggybacked off the popularity of Mario, Link, DK and co. cementing themselves in Smash, which helps them remain relevant in a way even if they no longer make appearances on their own series.

It's eye rolling when people say they want only Nintendo flagship characters. MvC Infinite went the safe way on the Marvel side by including mostly MCU picks leaving little room for unusual choices or obscure choices, and because of that the roster lacks diversity.
I agree with this. I would gladly take an obscure Nintendo character over another 3rd party character anyday. Give me Mike Jones, Doshin the Giant, Captain Rainbow, Swanky Kong, Abraham Lincoln, Captain Syrup, The Shake King, Prince Fluff, Taj the Genie, Tricky, General Scales, Tatanga, Wart, Vaati, Ricky Winterborn, Aran Ryan, etc. Any of those would be 100x more hype to me than Sora or Crash Bandicoot......

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Unpopular Opinion:

Actually, the clones that were brought back wouldn't have hurt any chances for newcomers that much because, well, they are clones. While recreated in a new engine, Pichu and Young Link are still derived off Pikachu and Link respectively so their movesets are ready to be copy and pasted before modifying attributes. Granted, they redesigned Link which takes more effort but Toon Link and Pikachu were already there and mostly unchanged from Smash 4. So the clones don't take that much, unlike the unique veterans. Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur by being unique means that they don't have a moveset to derive from, therefore recreating them would take considerably more effort. It would be more accurate to say that the unique ones hurt newcomer chances more than the clones.

I completely agree, and am also disappointed with this direction. "Everyone is Here" is only truly important in the few unique newcomers we lost. Otherwise, bringing back old versions of characters with no significant changes is a humongous waste of resources.

In fact, this falls into my umbrella criticism about Sakurai and Smash: He's too afraid of change or "alienating the current fans", but he keeps making spur-of-the-moment decisions that heavily affect the future of the game franchise purely out of convenience. Character clones especially as they aren't unique, are inaccurate, and stay that way for pretty much ever, especially echoes as it appears.

I firmly believe that sometimes, things that are cut are cut for good reason and sometimes time spent on bringing back old things with very few fans has more worth being put into new exciting things that draw in more people and could please far more fans.
A lot of people look more into the character rather than the function they perform. To you, only a cut character with a unique moveset may be deemed important to bring back, but to others it may matter more who that character was, hence why someone like Roy was brought back despite not being completely unique. Nothing also guarantees that a new moveset-er, character would draw more people in on the mere basis of being unique. By no means I'm not saying that movesets aren't important or that I am advocating against having new fighters and implementing unique ideas, but at the same time what most people like about additions like Ridley and K Rool is less about the moveset they bring and more about who they are.

Also, most of the clones, echoes and semi clones being based off a certain fighter is actually pretty accurate to their source material, with Ganondorf being the exception. You can argue that they aren't unique, but not that they are inaccurate.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Here's an opinion towards people who are intolerable towards others' opinions.

There is nothing wrong with not liking and/or feeling unsatisfied with Smash Ultimate, for whatever reason there may be. Just as its also fine to be excited for the game. But for ****s sake, let people have different opinions.

I've seen individuals who aren't satisfied with Ultimate try to project it onto others, as if since they aren't happy, surely no-one else is either.

I've also seen people who are excited for the game swarm in and attack those who aren't, as if anyone who isn't excited is an ungrateful heretic.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I think we should add a rule to this thread.

If you find someone's post disagreeable, before you try to shoot them down, begin your reply with, "I respectfully disagree with you." Then all of the flame would die out and we could discuss opinions without acting like a bunch of hooligans.
But I don't have respect for someone claiming Sakurai deserved to be harassed, so I don't "respectfully disagree" with them.

Anyway, this ended ages ago, let's stop bringing it back up.

Last edited:

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
The balloon knockback has the potential to ruin this game. Just. Just why. It's gonna be the next most hated mechanic up there with tripping and rage IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom