• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
>Geno is grossly overhyped and overestimated. Most of his support is from within the past few months-- he regularly placed under other characters in the Ballot days, and the most talk he got was when his Mii Fighter costume was revealed. Plus, with Isabelle, Ultimate's re-affirming the unique newcomers aren't exclusively pandering to nostalgia/fan demand. Inkling and Isabelle are both far more popular and marketable characters in general than K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon Belmont. I'd expect a Gen VII Pokemon and the likes of Heihachi (plus a few more Echoes obviously and maybe even another semi-clone or two) to round things out.

>Ken-- or any of the shotos --would make far more sense as a semi-clone than an Echo fighter, due to the many differences they've all picked up over the years; to my understanding, the only things they even really share at this point are a few specials.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think the Mario party and sports spinoffs should be retired, and Smash Bros./Nintendo All-Stars should take it's place.
Mario ( and Pikachu ) was the reason I bought Smash in the first place, Mario was my first obsession and is still to this day one of my favorite franchises, but I have never been able to care about the Sports or Party games, even with Mario being on the box.
I guarantee you I'd feel differently if Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby were on the box, and I'd probably start picking up those sports and party spinoffs. And as long as Mario was prominently featured on the box, I don't think it would effect sales. Heck, having Pikachu there would probably bump it up a few digits. And the logo doesn't have to change either, they can just do the Sega route and call it "Mario Kart/Tennis/Party & Nintendo All-Stars"
And I feel like unlike Smash Bros, there'd be less pressure to make sure every character gets in with every entry.
But I'd definitely feel more excited about the character reveals for a game like that than I would the typical Mario spinoff... Mario has a pretty extensive cast of characters, but what do they keep coming back to? Bowser's Mooks, Baby versions of characters already on the roster, powered up versions of characters already on the roster, the depressing fact is we're more likely to see this "Peachette" in the next Mario spinoff than we are to see Professor E. Gadd.

D

Deleted member

Here's an opinion I haven't seen too many people share: I think the new lighting in Smash Ultimate is TERRIBLE.

When it was first unveiled people remarked that the lighting made everything look like clay, and that hasn't changed yet everyone seems to have gotten over it. Look guys...just because something is different doesn't mean it's better. Nowadays everyone is like "omg the new lighting in Smash Ultimate is so much better than it was in Smash for Wii U, I mean look at all the details you can see now!" Um no. If there are any new details to be seen it would be because they touched up the textures, or simply because the lighting is different. In general the lighting used in the Smash for Wii U game is vibrant, clean, and makes everything nicely pop. It was a much appreciated change from the gritty yet SD resolution of Brawl, and definitely an improvement. With Smash Ultimate....they, um, changed the lighting, yes, but is it better? No, it's not. In fact everything kind of looks washed out as if there is low gloss yet high white specularity (shine), and that combined with the deeper shadows makes the colors look muted and...like was said before...makes everything kind of look like clay, which I don't think was the intention? So anyway sorry this is such a long rant but it just annoys me when people accept something new as better without objectively analyzing it. In all other ways I know the game will be better but I think I will prefer the lighting of Smash 4.

>Geno is grossly overhyped and overestimated. Most of his support is from within the past few months-- he regularly placed under other characters in the Ballot days, and the most talk he got was when his Mii Fighter costume was revealed.
I will agree that in general Geno is overhyped for a character that appeared in one game. That being said...since Sakurai also likes the character and considering other evidence I do actually think if there were ever a chance for Geno to make it into Smash Bros., then this is the game--his chances have never been higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I like the way the characters look in Ultimate, but I think some of the characters colors got washed out. I think Smash Wii U nailed the colors, but some of the characters have really weird looking models, especially the less cartoony characters like Link and Ganondorf. Meanwhile the models in Smash Ultimate are great, but then, Mario's hat looks pink and his mustache looks grey...

Oddball

Smash Lord
I was perfectly content with Geno being a Mii costume. I really don't think he needs anything more than that.

In fact, I love Mii costumes. It's a great way to add characters that wouldn't normally deserve a spot. I don't know why there isn't more talk about them.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I actually love Miis but hate the character costumes, Miis had kind of a bad rep to begin with, but character costumes just made even more people hate on them even more, because they thought the costumes were insulting to them or that they were a bad consolation prize... It's not a sentiment I agree with but I underestand where they come from. I don't think Miis need that kind of bad publicity I want people to like them darn it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I rather have Sephiroth, Tifa, Aeris, Tidus, Yuna, Zidane, or Vivi in Smash than Geno or Sora, all of them are about to make debuts on Nintendo. The only thing holding them back is that Sakurai may have not been aware of the FF ports when SSBU development began.

Edit: yeah i forgot the unpopular part; Geno is overhyped and any of the above characters are way more recognizable, marketable and just more legendary and worthy of the 2nd Square Enix rep.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular indeed :)
It's unpopular but it's also horrid. You think a man who has worked his ass off (and has actually fainted and broken an arm making these games) for 19 years to make these games for us deserved harassment because he didn't include a character you want? Right, well without him, the board you're on right now wouldn't exist, and neither would the game we're discussing, so maybe think about that before you say you're glad he was harassed by petty obsessive man-children.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
With the small amount of newcomers left, I'd prefer to not see a new Pokemon at all this time. They don't fit with the fanservice approach and feel more like some character to fill in a quota.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this is an opinion or speculation, but despite Snake, Simon, Sonic, Mega Man, and whoever else has appeared on a major Playstation release, I don't think Smash is actually using Sony's OC. The thing is these characters were all developed by other studios. In fact, when people say Crash and/or Spyro for Smash as a Sony rep, they may forget they were developed by Activision. I'm not sure what OC Sony has, if any, to do good in Smash beyond Crash. I'm not sure how much characters like Ratchet and Clank or Kratos identify as Sony OC.

The same does not apply for a Microsoft rep, however. When it comes to an icon like the Master Chief, you would call him a Microsoft rep, and that's correct. Although Halo right now is managed by 343 industries (and formerly co-managed by 343 and Bungie), Microsoft also has input in developing the game, not just publishing it. That's why you see the Microsoft Studios logo whenever you play a Halo game.

What am I saying? To sum it up, I don't want another Sony or Playstation-based character in the game since we already have a lot that have appeared on Playstation systems, even if they're not Sony OC. I feel like Nintendo should branch out to Microsoft to unite "The Big Three" in one game.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
I dont know about anybody else, but with I have been so disappointed with the hype cycle and charcter trailers for this game. None of the newcomers shown so far have gotten me hyped one bit mainly because i'm not that interested in them. I'm happy for everyone that got their characters, but i'm still waiting for my characters like Issac, Elma, Impa, (and Rex and Pyra as DLC). I'm just worried that people like me who want less popular characters will get shafted for characters like Geno or Bandana Dee.

Isabelle really worries me now becuase since she is her own unique character that lessens the chance for other unique newcomers, I feel also the people who wanted Isabelle expected and wouldn't have minded if she was an echo fighter. I'm happy for people that wanted her, but right now im just worried that this game will come out with not a single newcomer i'm excited for.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Unpopular indeed :)
People with attitudes like yours are the reason us legit Waluigi fans get a bad wrap, so thanks

Unpopular Opinion: Part of me hopes Spirits isn’t a story mode, as if there is dlc for this game I’d rather they have a story mode as the final dlc of the game’s lifespan, that way it would include EVERYONE in it.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
People still missing the point of the thread but posting, rofl.
Bruh there’s a difference between having an unpopular opinion and just being an asshole making subtle threats to people who work their ass off. I won’t, and have not, disagreed with a single unpopular opinion here, I only object to yours because it isn’t an opinion, but instead whining being passed as an opinion. Don’t confuse the two.

Anyway, back on topic. Sorry everyone

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Bruh there’s a difference between having an unpopular opinion and just being an ******* making subtle threats to people who work their *** off. I won’t, and have not, disagreed with a single unpopular opinion here, I only object to yours because it isn’t an opinion, but instead whining being passed as an opinion. Don’t confuse the two.

Anyway, back on topic. Sorry everyone
I didn't make any threats, and yes it is an opinion, and everyone has one, I frankly don't care if people disagree as again, opinion. I think you are the confused one tbh lol

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I didn't make any threats, and yes it is an opinion, and everyone has one, I frankly don't care if people disagree as again, opinion. I think you are the confused one tbh lol
Agree to disagree then good sir, if you think it’s ok to wish harassment upon an incredibly hard-working man just because you didn’t get the bundle of pixels you wanted in a video game then I certainly can’t sway your mind

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
A few of the assist trophies we've seen so far (Lyn, Krystal, Bomberman, Sukapon, Ashley, Waluigi) would make better characters than half of the newcomers for Smash 4. I've been posting in character speculation threads for 10 years all over the internet and the first two characters I listed especially have been requested nearly as much as the Ridley/K. Rool/Geno trio.

I know Assist Trophy DLC is unlikely and it sets a pretty scummy precedent for Nintendo (pay to upgrade this half complete asset into a full one!) but if I would definitely support putting those characters in the game at some point.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A few of the assist trophies we've seen so far (Lyn, Krystal, Bomberman, Sukapon, Ashley, Waluigi) would make better characters than half of the newcomers for Smash 4. I've been posting in character speculation threads for 10 years all over the internet and the first two characters I listed especially have been requested nearly as much as the Ridley/K. Rool/Geno trio.

I know Assist Trophy DLC is unlikely and it sets a pretty scummy precedent for Nintendo (pay to upgrade this half complete asset into a full one!) but if I would definitely support putting those characters in the game at some point.
Definitely Lyn than Corrin. Waluigi over Dr. Mario. Krystal as a 4th Starfox character would be nice. Can't go wrong with Bomberman or Ashley. Not sure about Sukapon.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Definitely Lyn than Corrin. Waluigi over Dr. Mario. Krystal as a 4th Starfox character would be nice. Can't go wrong with Bomberman or Ashley. Not sure about Sukapon.
The Sukapon thing is more me being biased. He was one of my pet characters back in the Brawl days. Always really liked him for some reason.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Personally I think Kirby, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, and Earthbound are in more need of more reps that any other series.
Mario has almost hit the bottom of the barrel (Citation: Daisy). Zelda is doing fine, and we may even get one more fighter. Pokemon has a lot of fighters, too many if you ask me. Same for FE. Metroid used to be down in the dumps but now it's finally getting the representation it deserves. Yoshi is in no need of a newcomer, nor is WarioWare, F-Zero, Star Fox, Pikmin, or Punch-Out.. If XC has an interesting newcomer with a unique moveset and doesn't focus on having trumped-up bodily proportions *coughcough* than that would be cool. Animal Crossing is fine with 2 fighters. Extra parties/joke characters/retro series don't need more than one fighter.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Honestly, I kinda always felt like having the mario, yoshi, donkey kong, and wario series divided as four different series is stupid. Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario series are just a side series of the mario series and are pretty much the same universe, so I find it kinda stupid that they aren't just considered part of the mario series.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Honestly, I kinda always felt like having the mario, yoshi, donkey kong, and wario series divided as four different series is stupid. Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario series are just a side series of the mario series and are pretty much the same universe, so I find it kinda stupid that they aren't just considered part of the mario series.
I feel like it makes sense to have DK and Wario divided from the Mario series in Smash, because they're so far removed from the Mario universe that most of the characters introduced in Wario Land/Ware and DKC look out of place next to the Mario cast...
Yoshi on the other hand? Yoshi's own series still uses Mario enemies, and Kamek, and Baby Bowser, and unlike Wario and DK, Yoshi still regularly appears in the main line Mario titles. So he should totally have the mushroom icon.

However, outisde of Smash I think this weird arbitrary separation between the three different spinoffs and the Main Mario series is weird and dumb, and they could make some really creative worlds in a 3D Mario game if they allowed him to explore, say, Diamond City, or Yoshi's Island. And fans would probably love to see that too.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
However, outisde of Smash I think this weird arbitrary separation between the three different spinoffs and the Main Mario series is weird and dumb, and they could make some really creative worlds in a 3D Mario game if they allowed him to explore, say, Diamond City, or Yoshi's Island. And fans would probably love to see that too.
How about Wario City from Mario Super Sluggers (Or is that Diamond City)?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Ahh the classic "DK should be part of Mario" BS. Yet Mario is a spin-off of WHAT series again? Oh yeah I forgot...The Legend of Zelda..oh wait that's not right...I'm pretty sure Mario was a spin-off of a certain ape's series. Oh yeah that's right King Kong!

Here's an opinion I haven't seen too many people share: I think the new lighting in Smash Ultimate is TERRIBLE.

When it was first unveiled people remarked that the lighting made everything look like clay, and that hasn't changed yet everyone seems to have gotten over it. Look guys...just because something is different doesn't mean it's better. Nowadays everyone is like "omg the new lighting in Smash Ultimate is so much better than it was in Smash for Wii U, I mean look at all the details you can see now!" Um no. If there are any new details to be seen it would be because they touched up the textures, or simply because the lighting is different. In general the lighting used in the Smash for Wii U game is vibrant, clean, and makes everything nicely pop. It was a much appreciated change from the gritty yet SD resolution of Brawl, and definitely an improvement. With Smash Ultimate....they, um, changed the lighting, yes, but is it better? No, it's not. In fact everything kind of looks washed out as if there is low gloss yet high white specularity (shine), and that combined with the deeper shadows makes the colors look muted and...like was said before...makes everything kind of look like clay, which I don't think was the intention? So anyway sorry this is such a long rant but it just annoys me when people accept something new as better without objectively analyzing it. In all other ways I know the game will be better but I think I will prefer the lighting of Smash 4.
Actually, there was a thread a while back that discuss about the visuals in Ultimate and the general consensus (Or at least the users in that thread anyways) were leaning a bit towards on what you thought as well. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The Animal Crossing characters playable in Smash have lame movesets. I don't care how popular the games are - lame fighters shouldn't be in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a reminder that if the point of your post in this thread is to rile people up, it does not belong. Unpopular opinions does not mean you are allowed to make troll statements. There's a difference.

In addition, drop the talk about harassment. Likewise, no, it will not be tolerated nor will we tolerate advocating it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
...Simon is heavily associated with Sony? Even Mega Man is pushing it.
I kinda forgot that Castlevania never really left Nintendo and that they released lots of GBA and DS titles. Still, most home console titles were appearing for the PS but perhaps they are much more at home in Nintendo consoles.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Isabelle is the newcomer and trailer that gave me the most hyped.

And I don't want any more third party characters. No Banjo. No Geno. No Rayman, Sora, Rabbids, Steve, Shadow, Ken, Sans, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Quote, Crash, Tails, Lloyd, Heihachi, Bomberman, etc. I don't want the ones in the game removed, but I don't want any more of them.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mod Edit: These are for opinions of the game itself, not of other users. Let the Moderation handle this.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Honestly, I prefer Deviljho to represent Monster Hunter Boss/AT instead of Rathalos. All Rathy does is stay in the air like a pansy. Jho-Jho on the other hand keeps the fight close to whoever its next meal is.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I guess it's time for my unpopular opinion today. I've seen some users getting defensive when their unpop opinion gets challenged. If you are posting here, in a public forum where everyone can see it, and you don't want your opinion to get contested in any way, then this place isn't for you.

Openning post on the topic...
The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Half of the time "Sakurai pick" is used, it's to deny any existing fanbase or logic behind a character.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I kinda liked My Music being per stage and I hope that's an option still. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom