• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
• Young Link and Pichu should return.

• Waddle Dee/ Bandana Dee should be something you stomp on in adventure mode.

• Sora is owned by Disney, won't happen. Hatsune Miku is more likely.

• Indie characters are bad. Hey Shovel Knight & Shantae welcome to 1985 graphics, you deserve a spot in Smash. Despite many other smaller game companies with longer legacy franchises, some how they make sense to add to the roster? Muh Indie Gamez need reps.

• Decidueye is the Sceptile of Smash 4.

• Satebo & Parabo would be an awesome obscure/ retro/ hardware rep.

• Lucario debuted in an animated movie, well before a video game, he's an anime character.

• Bandai Namco should add something to represent virtual pets/ digital pet games. If it be from Tamagotchi or Digimon. It's a huge part of gaming history and genre not yet in smash.

• Characters from the Switch's library are boring, Rex, Springman, etc.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
  • I don’t want to see any third parties at all for Smash Switch, the game is meant to revolve around Nintendo All-Stars not characters who don’t even belong to Nintendo and have never even appeared in an Nintendo console. (I may only accept 1 new third party character though).
  • I don’t any new Mario newcomers for Smash Switch. Waluigi, despite his popularity is not an all-star and is not important to the Mario series, he is only there to make up numbers for the spin-offs. This same applies to Daisy as well.
  • I did say that I don’t want any new Mario newcomers for Smash Switch although my most wanted character is Captain Toad. But that’s because I would make Captain Toad a representive of his own series the Captain Toad series. Plus, Captain Toad can bring in Toadette as an alt. 2 for 1 deal.
  • I want cuts for the next Smash. Characters like Dark Pit and Lucina are not worthy of having their own character slot imo and should be converted into alts for Pit and Marth. Wii Fit Trainer I think should be removed even though she has a moveset that is unique to her own. Nintendo are trying to get away from the Wii side of things.
  • I want Marx over Bandana Dee. Both would bring something different to the table but Marx’s moveset potential is more appealing to me. (Don’t worry I still want Bandana Dee though)
  • Like I previously said, this game is meant to be about Nintendo All-Stars fighting against each other, not characters who had one appearance in an game and somehow made it in the game because of their popularity *cough* Geno *cough*.
  • Paper Mario is just trash imo. I don’t want a third Mario in the game.
  • I don’t want anymore Zelda reps. I don’t think that there is anyone else left to add. I think Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf and Toon Link are enough for Zelda.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
  • People who don't think there will be any cuts are setting themselves up for a rude awakening. After all, every character added isn't just an addition, but a multiplication.
  • I wouldn't really be bothered if there weren't any Switch-debuting newcomers
  • Of all the characters that are speculated to be at risk of being cut, Lucina's chances are the most severely overrated and relies less on valid arguments and more on dumb fan patterns that already have been disproved by Smash 4. Even though she could potentially be cut, potentially=/= one of the most likeliest.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I might have some unpopular opinions myself.

I am completely okay with reuniting Samus and Zero Suit Samus. The same can go for Zelda and Sheik on a lesser scale.

I think there are video game original characters that are far more controversial picks than those not of video game origin for character considerations.

Super Smash Bros. doesn't need a story mode to be good. I want all modes of the game to be good.

Wanting Super Smash Bros. to violate fan rules for the sake of doing so is just as dumb as how some people think the fan rules are.

I like third party characters, don't get me wrong, but I do agree there must be a limit to them. Those limitations must be stated clearly and without ambiguity.

I'm fine with some character cuts.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
:4cloud:-Should be cut.

While he's very popular, Cloud is 0% Nintendo only having shown up in spin-off games on Nintendo consoles.

A character from Final Fantasy 6 or even Bravely Default would have been better.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
:4cloud:-Should be cut.

While he's very popular, Cloud is 0% Nintendo only having shown up in spin-off games on Nintendo consoles.

A character from Final Fantasy 6 or even Bravely Default would have been better.
Considering how disliked he is I don't think this is an unpopular opinion.

Considering how disliked he is I don't think this is an unpopular opinion.
It definitely is unpopular.

People who actually disliked Cloud are an extreme minority. Most people don't care for purity tests. Cloud getting into smash was an explosion on the internet because Cloud is one of the biggest characters in gaming.
:061:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
This gonna be fun:

-I want rage to come back since I like the idea of being rewarded for surviving, just tone it down so it's less polarizing.

-Sm4sh's physics are near perfect, so don't change them for 5.

-Paper Mario would be amazing, I don't see why people discount him because he's just "another Mario." Just look what happened when he tired being more like his mainstream counterpart.

-Ridley should be playable. Fans want it and the whole size argument is just a poor excuse.

-I find every character fun to play, and I do agree that Smash needs more balances in terms of character reps. So more characters from underrepresented series.

-As much as I love Undertale, I don't want Sans to be playable. I find him to be very overrated and would much rather choose Frisk, Papyrus or Undyne over him.

-Clones are a marvelous idea. They only add, not subtract. (Please keep Dr. Mario.)

-I would much rather have a much more fleshed out boss battle mode over any other returning mode.

-I'd trade a few newcomers if it meant the characters would actually interact with each other like other fighting games.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
- Indie characters don't excite me all that much (especially Shovel Knight; I just don't get why he's so popular, if his game didn't exist I don't think the indie games industry of today would look much different. Not to mention, I don't think he would have a very interesting moveset), mainly because there's a ton of out there and none of the ones I can think of "stand out" very much. If they're going to be in Smash to some extent it should at most be in the form of assist trophie(s).

- Captain Toad would be a much better fit as an assist trophy, considering his role in the mainline Mario games and his limited moveset in his own title (he can't even jump for crying out loud).

- More Animal Crossing characters would add little to the game, same thing with Pikmin.

- Bayonetta was a great addition, and it's not like she can't be nerfed in some way(s). Also, I'd hardly consider her third-party, she's more-or-less "second-party" at this point.

- I think that Doomguy/Doom Slayer would be an absolutely fantastic addition to Smash. I could write an entire essay why, but to summarize; the character has tons of moveset potential, his series is important to the industry in countless ways including (but far from limited to) that games like Splatoon or Metroid Prime wouldn't exist or would look a lot different without DOOM, he has been on more Nintendo systems than just a damn Switch port, and in his case the fact that's he a "M-rated" character is meaningless.

- I don't like Geno; Fawful would be more interesting and he makes more sense to me.

- Outside of the Excitebiker (who I feel like could "take away" Wario's motorcycle and make an entire moveset around it so Wario can get a more Wario Land oriented moveset), none of the Retro characters seem like very good additions to Smash, particularly Takamaru (he doesn't seem like anything more than just some Samurai, and is that something Smash really needs?) and Balloonfighter (I feel like AC's Villager is pretty much that character considering his up special).

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
  • I wouldn't mind another FE character
  • Clones are fine since they're done in a short period of time
  • DK has one of the worst representations in Smash. I know he's not the only one that needs better treatment, but I'm absolutely sick of hearing Jungle Hijinx remixes, Jungle themed stages and only seeing two reps.
  • I really think Dixie Kong and K. Rool both deserve to get into Smash
  • People who hate on popular picks like K. Rool and get angry over the fact their character isn't getting enough attention are dumb as bricks. We all have characters we want to see in Smash. There's no need to hate on one just because of their status. Whether popular or not, all opinions should be treated with some form of respect.
  • I think Sonic's earned another rep. If he returns then that'll make this his 4th Smash appearance. I think he should appear with at least one friend. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Dr. Eggman, Tails or Shadow be playable.
  • Pokemon needs better stages
  • Now this one isn't an unpopular opinion, but I used to say that Ridley would be a bad choice for Smash 4 back when we had a thread for that. I completely take that back. I was so stuck on the idea of a gigantic character be playable that I didn't even try to think about how Sakurai could actually make it work. Whether that happens is up in the air, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him someday. If Sakurai managed to somehow add K. Rool and Ridley in Smash than that'd make a lot of people happy and in turn make me happy too.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
All the really important Nintendo characters are in Smash already. Filling in obscure darkhorse characters (purple dragon boi, your favorite anime jrpg) is obviously welcome, but third party characters are the only category that can ever escape a pervasive sense of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Therefore, I think the best thing for everyone on Nintendo’s part is embracing reckless third-party kitchen sink eclecticism. We’re gonna have Minecraft Steve, Dovahkiin, Shovel Knight, Doomguy, sans undertale, and the park ranger from Firewatch. Isolationist notions of first-party purity shall be abandoned and the world will be better for it

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
#MYFIRSTPOST

~I honestly couldn't care less over which franchise has too much or too little content: for me, it's all about how it all plays together.
~Cutting characters is a stupid idea, simply due to the fact that it means exclusive content from the previous titles, and all those cut deserve to make a comeback. (unless copyright is involved, sorry Snake).
~While I am a little bit of a toobigot, I would actually enjoy seeing Ridley playable one day, one way or another.
~Melee's Adventure Mode is my favorite part of that game; there's just something about it that makes running through different worlds based off of the represented franchises fun.
~I main Dark Pit in Wii U/3DS and want to see him Luigified in the new game. In fact, I actually enjoy clones far more than the characters that they spawned from.
~At this point in time, I wouldn't be surprised to see other Microsoft characters showing up in Smash alongside Banjo: Nintendo's been getting really buddy-buddy with Microsoft as of late, so seeing the likes of Master Chief or even Steve(?) wouldn't be out of the question for me.
~Nintendo is free to add as many third party characters as they desire, because at this point, Smash has become a celebration of not just the history of Nintendo, but of video games in general. Bring on the indies!

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
- I'd gladly take a Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Mario, Fire Emblem, or Pikmin rep over Metroid, LoZ, DK, or Kirby if they are more interesting and diverse to the roster instead of something we already have plenty of. I feel more outlandish characters are more important than throwing in someone, who may be lacking creativity, just for the sake of "this series deserves another rep."

- Pikmin is more likely to gain a rep than people give it credit for. Pikmin 4 has been in development for quite some time and it's upcoming. There was also the handheld, the short movies, and the attention in Nintendo Land. The series is from Miyamoto and has gotten pretty solid attention from Nintendo.

- Pokemon doesn't have to have cuts and if there is one, it's not the ones that most people speak of most. Only Mewtwo was the big cut for the series. Pichu was a late addition joke clone and Pokemon Trainer was a large workload gimmick character that wasn't well liked. Mewtwo came back and Charizard remained as likely the most popular part of Pokemon Trainer. And on Pokemon cuts if they do happen...

- :4greninja: is a lot safer than people give him credit for. He won the crown of most popular Pokemon in Japan in an official poll in 2016. This is the same year that the new Smash apparently started development. Are you really telling me that they'd remove the recently crowned champion? I'm also going to be rather bitter to lose another main to be honest.

- :4mewtwo: is also safer than people give him credit for. He probably was the biggest seller in terms of DLC and was the first one to be shown off. I kind of feel like the hype around his return actually stabilizes a spot for him to remain.

- :4jigglypuff: might actually be the weakest link in the Pokemon roster and the most likely to pack her bags. Being low priority and almost being cut on occasion makes her "original 12" argument look weaker while her stardom has definitely faded the most.

- The problem with Fire Emblem isn't that it has lot of reps, it's that it has a lot of uninspiring reps. The series has swords, lances, mages, axes, mounts, bows, and laguz/animal people. What do we have? 4 swordsmen. A swordsman with mage spells. And a swordsman with animal people stuff. Cut some fat and give us some lances, axes, bows, or mounts. So while I still have the more common outlook that :4lucina: making it in, :4corrin: getting in as DLC, and :4feroy: making a return wasn't a good choice, I'm not opposed to many characters from the series. The issue lies in who and how they were added.

- :4wiifit: was a good addition and more than likely going to remain. Retro and characters that represent systems tend to stick around even if they aren't the most popular. :4wiifitm: is the one I use as well, which seems rather rare.

- I think Ridley may not live up to expectation as a playable character in the normal light. I think a playable boss mode where 3-4 players fight another player playing as a boss could work better for him. Eggman, Titan Dweevil, Rayquaza, King Boo and the like could all become "playable" in a sense this way. It'd be a lot of work for a mode though, but I see it as the best position for Ridley. Not saying he is impossible as the other or that this type of mode is likely, but it's an idea for the middle ground.

- I feel some character's support stems more from attraction than logic, causing more slandering.
I always felt the Krystal v Wolf wars pre-Brawl suffered from this as Wolf had more history to the series overall. And saying Krystal could be unique from a game she was barely playable in was always bit of s stretch, especially when she quickly adopted the regular space suit in future installments. They are also very defensive of Slippy in the current era of Smash speculation and are quick to downplay the character's role. The Daisy v Waluigi war also follows a similar suit, with Daisy fans usually being the quicker to insult Waluigi (fan base is only a meme) and defend Daisy's superiority with her one appearance in an old main game like that suddenly catapults her ahead of her competition.

This actually applies to some of the more popular picks as well though. I have seen people say that they prefer Pyra over Rex and would actually prefer Pyra alone. That seems rather odd as the characters are heavily connected to each other. To make matters stranger to me, is the people claiming Rex's design is very typical and nothing special compared to the beauty that is Pyra. While I think Rex's design is weird (those pants) and bland otherwise, I find Pyra to be extremely fan service and it detracts from her character quickly in visual department. She looks more like someone's OC in Middle School. They're two peas in the same weird pod to me.

Next up is Arms on that, since Spring Man gets some slack from some from the Min Min fans. The characters don't differ that greatly from each other from the research I gathered. Yes they have a couple quirk abilities, but the one that most people tend to fall to as the most unique and ground breaking is not that far from Spring Man in comparison to some others. Min Min has her air kick (guess what, Spring Man could get a air kick, punch, or stomp for Smash... nothing stopping anyone there) and the dragon arm. While he shouldn't have her full ability one, there is the Dragon Arm that can be used by anyone. So Spring Man could just end up switching one arm to the Dragon Arm for a special. So ugh, ya that can happen. But even if we ignore that, there are others that stand out more if that's the actual issue. Misango with his spirit masks? Helix with his pliable body? Byte & Barq's duo? Nope. People want the cute Asian girl while they pretend it's cause she is the most unique.

I have no issue with people wanting Min Min, even if it's cause they find her pretty and cute waifu material. But I find it annoying to see people tear down Spring Man's character in an attempt to justify her over him. Spring Man should be the first addition as the closest thing to a mascot the series has and being the baseline character of the series. If there is another (why not, we are scraping the barrel for many series already in Smash), then that could go to Min Min, Twintelle, Helix, Lola Pop, Master Mummy, or whoever. And I'd be cool with that.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • Captain Toad, Waluigi, and Daisy are all terrible picks for a new Mario rep. One of them can't ****ing jump (or fight, for that matter), one of them is a walking meme who's likely to remain the posterboy of Assist Trophies for the foreseeable future, and one of them is Daisy. Geno would be much better than any of these in my book, even if he doesn't have "m-muh relevance" like the others do.
  • King K. Rool has a much better chance than Dixie Kong this time around, although I think they can both get in. Not sure if this is actually unpopular or not, but I have heard the "muh relevance" argument thrown around in favor of Dixie as well.
  • As the above opinions suggest, I don't think "relevance" should be the end-all-be-all when it comes to speculation. This may seem like common sense, but I've seen character after popular character written off as a no-hoper because they aren't as "relevant" as someone else from their series. It's gotten to the point where people are honestly suggesting a Toad wearing a headlamp with no moves who can't jump over a cool, classic, and above all, popular Mario character who literally shoots stars and laser beams out of his arms just because the former happens to be the series' current flavor of the month. Perhaps consider, say, moveset potential as well? This kind of mentality is exactly how we got Rosalina, mind you, who basically had to be intentionally misrepresented to be added to Smash.
  • Likewise, we shouldn't go wasting roster slots just for the sake of advertising a new/recent release. Looking at you, :4corrin:... (Thankfully, if precedent holds up, this isn't how Sakurai actually makes his rosters, so I'm not super worried about this mentality actually affecting the final roster too much.)
  • Outside of Takamaru, there's no retro character who has a remote chance this time, first-party or otherwise.
  • More than any other character, I really hope Little Mac gets cut this time and never shows his face in Smash Bros. ever again. I figure it won't happen, but I want it to happen. He's just so... infuriating to play against. It makes my blood boil every time.
  • So-called "rep" is a stupid concept and should not be considered when it comes to making a roster. "B-but Mario has too many reps!!! Metroid deserves a new rep!!" Bite me...
  • Geno still has a chance. In fact, he has a better chance than pretty much any other Mario character in my book, except maybe Paper Mario.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
- I want Smash Tour to return and I want them to increase the difficulty significantly. This is not a troll post.

- The final roster does not need to be much bigger than SSB4s

- I don’t think we really need any more third party characters. Having too many kind of defeats the feeling of a Nintendo All Star game.

- I want all six Fire Emblem veterans to return.

splat

Smash Lord
I greatly dislike Doctor Mario, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus due to being on the roster twice, no matter how unique they are. Toon Link is fine since it's not the same Link, and Sheik would have been fine if she didn't outright transform into Zelda in Brawl with a TP design. These types of additions just irk me kind of.
Honest question: would you still be irked if we'd get BotW Zelda and Sheik?

--

As for my personal unpopular opinions:

> People seriously overestimate Decidueye, he is very forced as a pick
> Someone called Decidueye the Sceptile of Smash 5, couldn't have worded it better

> Anyone who says "I don't want more swordsmen, give me character a axewielder to mix things up" needs to do a long and hard thinking about hitbox trajectories

> I always thought Geno was a bad pick, but the fanbase made me actively dislike the character

> People put way to much faith in Western third party characters
> Steve is among the top third party characters

> Stages get talked about way too little

> People have gone way overboard with discussing oddball characters

> Mario is not overrepresented
> If anything, the series could do with more

> I don't give a hoot about Banjo & Kazooie

> No matter if it's a good or a bad game, Smash as a series is dying to diminishing returns

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honest question: would you still be irked if we'd get BotW Zelda and Sheik?

--

As for my personal unpopular opinions:

> People seriously overestimate Decidueye, he is very forced as a pick
> Someone called Decidueye the Sceptile of Smash 5, couldn't have worded it better

> Anyone who says "I don't want more swordsmen, give me character a axewielder to mix things up" needs to do a long and hard thinking about hitbox trajectories

> I always thought Geno was a bad pick, but the fanbase made me actively dislike the character

> People put way to much faith in Western third party characters
> Steve is among the top third party characters

> Stages get talked about way too little

> People have gone way overboard with discussing oddball characters

> Mario is not overrepresented
> If anything, the series could do with more

> I don't give a hoot about Banjo & Kazooie

> No matter if it's a good or a bad game, Smash as a series is dying to diminishing returns
If Sheik got a BotW design based on the Sheik costume? Yeah, since it's then implied to be BotW Zelda as Sheik. If the design remained inspired by Twilight Princess, less so. That being said I'm banking on the former happening. :p

Last edited:

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
I could honestly cut half the FE characters from Smash 4 and i'd still debate if they needed a newcomer or not.

D

Deleted member

Impa is the single most forced character choice in existence.

Thatboyjojo

Smash Rookie
  • Ridley is an awesome character, but I have absolutely no idea why people are so obsessed with having him as a playable character in Smash.

• Smash 5 could be much better than Melee, but it doesn't need to be quite as competitive to do so.
  • I don't care about an indie character. Like, at all.
  • I also don't care about Inklings. I feel like they're out of place in every game they appear in, including Splatoon.

• I really hope Shulk is permanently removed from all future iterations of Smash until the end of time.
  • I Love Bayonetta as a character, but I can't stand her in Smash 4. I feel like there isn't much point of her even being in Smash 5 when she's inevitably just another Meta Knight nerfed into the grave.
  • I dislike almost all of the top requests for new characters, including and especially those who don't have a long history on Nintendo platforms.
  • In a perfect world, Smash 5 wouldn't have any Pokemon past 3rd gen. Or hell, even just make it 1st gen only.
  • I would instantly be blown away and on fire excited if they were to add characters from Tales of Symphonia.
Inb4 "bring tripping back" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Bring me lloyd or kratos from tales and I'll play smash 5 for the rest of my life

I do actually have one more. Whoops

Fan polls don't mean ****.

All fan polls are just little sights of insight of what are already minorities and echo-chambers. In the grand scheme of things they usually mean next to nothing. There is a reason they were usually pretty inaugurate about things like bayonetta.

And what's worse is that every fanbase consistently sabotages them. Well, not every fanbase. Some do this way more than others. When a fan poll shows up and you ask your thread to raid that poll. . .it defeats the purpose of having a poll since you are stuffing the ballot. Congrats, you played yourself. You have now made the results of that fan poll null and now no one has reliable results. And when people do this consistently it just means every poll gets ****ed up because they same peopel are voting over and over. So now an already minority among minorities isn't going to be accurate. Yay.

:061:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Thank you, sir, that just gave me another one:
People really need to learn to dissociate characters from their fanbases. Far too many times have I seen perfectly viable, not to mention popular characters become hated because of their fanatical supporters. I've seen it happen with Ridley, I've seen it happen with K. Rool, and I'm seeing it happen now with Geno. Frankly, it's like hating a show you've never seen because of an obnoxious fanbase; it's just stupid. Hate the player, not the game.

D

Deleted member

People really need to learn to dissociate characters from their fanbases. Far too many times have I seen perfectly viable, not to mention popular characters become hated because of their fanatical supporters. I've seen it happen with Ridley, I've seen it happen with K. Rool, and I'm seeing it happen now with Geno. Frankly, it's like hating a show you've never seen because of an obnoxious fanbase; it's just stupid. Hate the player, not the game.
After an argument I had with a Mimikyu fan I find it very hard to let go of that mentality.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're not supposed to jump on other users for their opinions, as per the OP.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You're not supposed to jump on other users for their opinions, as per the OP.
That's... not necessarily what I was doing. His post merely gave me an idea. If I had expressed the exact same sentiment, but not quoted his post, would I still be "jumping on" him?

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff is one of the characters I want in smash 5 the most

(kinda biased though since I love Jigglypuff and she's my favorite charcter to play as)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's... not necessarily what I was doing. His post merely gave me an idea. If I had expressed the exact same sentiment, but not quoted his post, would I still be "jumping on" him?
No, but the fact that it came so soon after it made it seem more like an attempt to bypass the rules, is all.

D

Deleted member

I used to support Captain Toad because I thought he was "deserving", but I've gradually lost interest as my mindset evolved beyond who's "deserving" of an inclusion and nowadays he appeals to me as much as a brick wall.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Captain Toad would be a poor choice for a newcomer. Toad is capable of much more than being an explorer with tools and I'd like to see the character's entire collection of abilities to be represented. Captain is obviously a fine costume choice, however.

DK's stage selection isn't that bad. They always try to spice up the jungle theme, or had non-jungle levels such as 75m and Kongo Jungle (Melee). Obviously I'd like other themes to be represented, but jungles are fine. (I concede the music selection is rather poor and lazy, though). It' DK's best represented content in Smash.

Yoshi as a series is fine with Yoshi as a character and a stage or two from past or current games. A newcomer would only be a Mario enemy in the guise of another series, regardless of their appearances in Yoshi.

People are sleeping on Lycanroc and Incineroar on here because of Decidueye. Primarina also has the Japanese popularity the grass starter lacks which might give her an edge. I have a feeling the Pokemon character might surprise the fanbase.

The Star Fox trio in Brawl was perfect and was the first instance that a multi-character series felt perfectly represented in Smash. Wolf's removal leaves a hole.

Melee is the best game competitively, but it is possible to have a game rival it without the same advanced techs. The new engine and physics simply need to favour offensive games and offer a lot of movement options to compete.

Speaking of Melee, it had the most pleasing artistic style from all Smash games.

Trophies are the best addition in Smash in terms of being a Nintendo history tribute series.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I used to support Captain Toad because I thought he was "deserving", but I've gradually lost interest as my mindset evolved beyond who's "deserving" of an inclusion and nowadays he appeals to me as much as a brick wall.
Honestly I think toad using all the powerups the rest have yet to use would make a far more interesting character anyway

D

Deleted member

Honestly I think toad using all the powerups the rest have yet to use would make a far more interesting character anyway
I can agree with that.
However, that leads me to another problem I have with Toad: His moveset potential feels all over the place.
There's like 5 different routes you can go and none of them are particularly interesting.

D

Deleted member

Alrighty lets see:
-Waluigi is the dumbest newcomer request i have ever heard.
-People shouldnt dismiss spinoff characters from hyrule warriors.
-Turning clone characters to alternate costumes is the worst thing i have ever heard from the smash fanbase.
-I hate Doc, but if mario gets a revamp moveset ill be ok with him.
-I want all the clone characters to get a rework in some way. That being said...
-Toon Link(or link), Dark pit, Lucina, and Falco should be reworked before Ganondorf.
-I dont want krystal in this game IF shes a fox clone. We already have 2 semi clones a 3rd one is dumb.
-No cut characters. Period. If they are going to be cut you and i know darn well sakurai will add them back in as dlc. So why waste the effort.
-Smash 3ds is a better game than smash wii u, simply for its single player content. And better stages.
- Rex and Pyra designs are perfectly ok imho. Idk why people hate there designs to the point of not wanting them in the game.... Grantes i prefer Poppi and Elma to be in this game over the 2 simply because they dont use a sword(in elmas case she uses 2 and guns).
-Daisy would be a peach clone if she ever gets in the game.
-Captain toad, Isabelle, and twintelle all would be better as assist trophies.
-I prefer min min over Twintelle. Dragon arm that increase your left arm strength + kicks >>>>>hair as arms and witch time.
- I want modern sonic to be replaced with classic sonic.
-Indies Should have a rep in smash bros and the only three(maybe 4?) that could work are in order of what i think are likely Shantae, Shovel knight, quote, and remui. Eveyone else is too obsure, or odd.
-Classic mode for the 3ds was the best way to update the mode, and should be expanded upon in the next game.
-I like trophy shop.... That is all.
-Smash fanbase is the most ungrateful danbase in the world.
-Anyone that thinks wii fit trainer and lucina should be cut are dumb.(remeber how everyone thought ike was gone, or lucario, or toon link).
-Lastly, i prefer less new characters, if old ones get to be original.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Reminder not to strike up discourse/debates. It's fine to reply and agree with someone, but keep away from starting arguments (including countering someone's beliefs in your post. It comes off bad, especially when you quote them).

Now here's some more fun opinions.

I don't think Bayonetta won the ballot, probably didn't come close. "Realizable" = easiest to put in. Her attacks and animations were so easily translatable.

That being said, Bayonetta is the greatest addition made to the last roster.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ooh here's some more fun opinions.

Bayonetta didn't win the ballot, probably didn't even come close. "Realizable" = easiest.

That being said, Bayonetta is the greatest addition made to the last roster.
They did say she was top 5 in the us and number 1 in europe tho, I don't see why they'd lie about that when they could've said nothing

fullofammo1

Smash Rookie
Hi there! Are you afraid to have an opinion because you'll be overlooked and disagreed with? Then this thread is the place for you! Share those opinions that you'd typically get flamed for. It can be about game mechanics, modes, characters, stages, Sakurai in general, so long as it pertains to this upcoming Smash game.

The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here (plus I'll totally tell on you and report).

I'll start us off with some controversial opinions:
  • I wish Sakurai stopped being Director of Smash and worked on other series like Kid Icarus, I feel he's too tied down for Smash and can do better things as a director.
  • This game is running a risk of being incredibly unbalanced due to roster size, and I hope that we don't have a huge amount of newcomers in this next game.
  • I enjoy the clone characters, and I think we can keep them for this upcoming game.
  • I'll be upset if they take out Smash Run.
  • Sora has a good chance as a 3rd party DLC fighter.

Share your opinions!
I think, like most people. Adding a large roster and not taking anyone out would give all of us Smashers massive dong expansion.

Smash bros Crusade did a brilliant job with allowing character alts to be accessed through the Parent character.

Youd hover over pikachu, for example, hit a button *^* viola~ you've selected pichu. Costumes and Csp changes accordingly.

Assuming this game could be a port disguised to look or feel different, we'd know it none other than the day the source code is evitably met for modders. If its new, which im assuming we all hope... Yay for new stuff?

The reason Goku is unlikely isn't because bandai namco wouldn't hand him over, but because the hate tsunami for not having other anime characters would make nintendo want to kill themselves. Poor sakurai and his suffering.

maybe the css could have pages for all n64, gc, wii, 3ds and wiiu lineup
thats 5 pages of stages that most of us would bite our tongues and hesitantly open our wallets for.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I never wanted Smash 5 to happen this early, but you all just couldn't shut your cakeholes about it couldja and the Switch & even 3DS look to have a long future ahead of them to need one this soon.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
  • I think the roster should be cut down to around 30
  • Odyssey Mario is a dumb idea, save for maybe changing FLUDD
  • Shantae and Shovel Knight are literally never going to be playable
  • It's probably gonna be just as un-fun as Smash 4 (realistically)
  • Wolf and Ice Climbers are never coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom