• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
I was disappointed that Chrom was added. I have nothing against the series or even Chrom in his own series, but there’s nothing unique about him compared to other main characters in the series.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't like a lot of the stages that they brought back, and I can't believe they brought back Pac-Land but not Pac-Maze, especially since Windy Hill is there alongside Green Hill.
On a technical note, Pac-Maze was really designed for each player having their own screens as the visuals could change for one player but not all of them.
I don’t think a character should get in solely for the reason that a crap load of people vocally ask for that character. Bayonetta is the exception, but even then it made perfect sense since Nintendo owns Platinum and Bayonetta is hype. There really is no reason to make Shovel Knight a character other than the fact a lot of people want him. If Nintendo were to add an Indie character it would make far more sense to add Quote from Cave Story since that game pretty much started the Indie scene, is well known in both Japan and the West, and has been released on 4 Nintendo systems, more than any other Indie game.
And also Geno... he was only in one game, which isn’t even as popular as the Paper Mario games. His inclusion would be awkward because they would have to give him the Mario icon (the mushroom) even though he is owned by Square Enix.
Nintendo does not own Platinum.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I actually liked that Hanenbow is back. Aside from me actually liking to mess around in that stage, I think, in Ultimate's "everyone is here" purpose, at least all universes in Smash history should have at least one stage, with Elektroplankton not being exempt of that

Lilithant

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-5376-6607
Here's my unpopular opinion:

Out of every potential newcomer from every franchise in the history of the universe, the only ones I don't want in the game are Skull Kid and Decidueye. In Skull Kid's case I don't really have any attachment to his character and I'd much prefer another Zelda rep over him, such as (The sadly deconfirmed) Ghirahim.
As for Decidueye, I personally feel like he's just overhyped. I've disliked the Rowlet line since day 1 so there's probably some bias here, but I'd really prefer something else from Gen 7 if we are indeed getting a rep from it. I wouldn't have minded Mimikyu but it's already deconfirmed, so right now I'm just holding out that they choose someone interesting like Tsareena or maybe Lycanroc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was disappointed that Chrom was added. I have nothing against the series or even Chrom in his own series, but there’s nothing unique about him compared to other main characters in the series.
Chrom had a lead role in that one weird J-Pop Fire Emblem game, was noticably featured in FE Warriors, had a small cameo in Fates, and had a full rendered 3D model already in Smash 4 due to being part of Robin's Final Smash. I think Chrom deserves it.

Can't argue with you tho, cause that's apperantly illegal. But I totally called Chrom being in.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's my unpopular opinion:

Out of every potential newcomer from every franchise in the history of the universe, the only ones I don't want in the game are Skull Kid and Decidueye.
Custer's Revenge, Mortal Kombat's Mokap, and Generic Dragon Warrior NPC for Smash!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think we’ll be getting a Monster Hunter character as the third Capcom rep. I would think a playable character would be shown off BEFORE the stage and boss/AT, and that wasn’t the case in the direct.

I don’t think characters appearing in Final Smashes is a hard deconfirmation anymore (Samus in ZSS’s, Fox and Falco in each others’ are points for my opinion). Maybe it could bode really badly for a unique newcomer, but for echoes it may not be that big of a deal especially if the model is very detailed and optionally has detailed movement. Only hard deconfirmation methods now to me are Assist Trophies and Victory Screen Cameos.

I don’t think 103 is the final number of Stages, nor 50-ish the final number of assist trophies, esp when taking potential future DLC in account. I also think we’ll have a much longer DLC period.

If we were to get a survival horror game character as playable, I’d sooner prefer someone from Fatal Frame over someone from say, Resident Evil. I have other wants for a third Capcom rep, and Fatal Frame is co owned by Nintendo now.

[hides]

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Everyone is bandwagoning echoes. I don't get it. Not only did most people hate clones before, but most people also **** on the idea of having alternate character costumes. Maybe it's just people liking it because it's in Smash now, and we couldn't possibly criticize the new game or Sakurai, could we?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I totally disagree with Sakurai reason to not include BotW Zelda, i never seen Zelda doing much fighting, at least in the games i’ve played, at least when she’s just herself and not Sheik or being possesed, she mostly assists Link with her magic, that said i love her A Link to the Past design that she’s using in Smash Ultimate.

I feel like they just didn’t want to stray away from her princess look while doing something refreshing, but then again she uses more traditional princess dresses in BotW, two of them in fact, maybe Sakurai just loves the ALttP design, i don’t blame him.
I agree with this as well! Im glad they have a mashup of Zelda game designs, but BOTW Zelda was so active in battle that she

got stuck in a battle for 100 years straight!

I think they just thought that BOTW Zelda would have a different moveset than the Zelda in Smash. I do think we will get a BOTW costume. I love Zelda in pants. (But if they flattened Snake's butt, that would likely happen to her as well).

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Everyone is bandwagoning echoes. I don't get it. Not only did most people hate clones before, but most people also **** on the idea of having alternate character costumes. Maybe it's just people liking it because it's in Smash now, and we couldn't possibly criticize the new game or Sakurai, could we?
Well back then alot of people still had the dumb ideology by thinking clones "stole a spot" on the roster compared to someone else. I think it's now ok because Sakurai told them that echoes take no time to make at all and it's a way for a character to make it in the roster who normally wouldn't be in it. You can also in a way interpret what echo fighters are; if you feel that they are their own characters then you can have it as a separate slot on the CSS, or if you think they are more like alternate costumes then you can have them combined with their counterpart to take up less space.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Well back then alot of people still had the dumb ideology by thinking clones "stole a spot" on the roster compared to someone else. I think it's now ok because Sakurai told them that echoes take no time to make at all and it's a way for a character to make it in the roster who normally wouldn't be in it. You can also in a way interpret what echo fighters are; if you feel that they are their own characters then you can have it as a separate slot on the CSS, or if you think they are more like alternate costumes then you can have them combined with their counterpart to take up less space.
No, he had already said when Sm4sh came out that clones take very little time (not no time, hopefully you weren't being serious there).

Oddball

Smash Lord
Maybe it's the fact that they now have an official name. The "clones" thing was always more of a derogatory fan label.

-Poke Floats was literal garbage and I'm glad it didn't return in Ultimate.
-Ridley's still too big, looks awkward as hell, and he feels much more like a janky fan mod to me. His inclusion just feels.... well, forced.
-We do not need another Animal Crossing rep.
-The swordfighters argument is trash. There are almost as many gunners as swordfighters and nobody complains about them.....
-Knowing Sakurai and his history with adding clones, I'm surprised anybody expected him to add Dark Samus as anything but an echo.
-Even with the fact that echos can have different animations, it still wouldn't fit Dixie if she were an echo of Diddy. Semi-clone is fine, tho (and in fact, that's what I expect her to be if she gets in)
-I don't think we will get another Pokemon rep in the base game.
-Brawl's aesthetic was the best in the series, and I'm glad Ultimate has an aesthetic that's in between Brawl and Smash 4's.
-Every time someone says "get Jigglypuff the **** outta here" or something along those lines, it hurts me
-Angry Mario is best Mario
-Speaking of which, I don't understand WHY Mario should get a massive overhaul to "make his moveset wackier or crazier." The thing with Smash Mario is that he's the Ryu of the game, the basic all-rounder that sets the standard for other fighters. Changing his moveset dramatically will ruin that.
-The "Nintendo All Stars" angle has been dead ever since Melee
-Custom moves were great, and I feel with a bit more time devoted to them, there would be far less complaints about them.
-The fact that some people are legit considering non-gaming characters gives me the unholiest form of cringe

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
People are looking WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to deep into this quote on quote "heroes vs. villains" trend.

The only time that was even mentioned was in the intro of K. Rool's trailer. And that was only so they could show off the major franchises and their rivals to lead up to K. Rool (as he was arguably the last major villain left to be in smash). On top of that, K. Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus were all highly requested, and that's the only trend that's actually going on, due to them saying the Ballot would be used in the future. Even the now rumored Skull Kid and Shadow got some pretty big followings, and a common argument for each of their inclusions was that smash quote on quote "needed rival characters". Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for each of the (potential) inclusions, but if we get any more than Skull Kid and Shadow (and maybe the octolings) in terms of rival characters, I'll be damn surprised.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
People are looking WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to deep into this quote on quote "heroes vs. villains" trend.

The only time that was even mentioned was in the intro of K. Rool's trailer. And that was only so they could show off the major franchises and their rivals to lead up to K. Rool (as he was arguably the last major villain left to be in smash). On top of that, K. Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus were all highly requested, and that's the only trend that's actually going on, due to them saying the Ballot would be used in the future. Even the now rumored Skull Kid and Shadow got some pretty big followings, and a common argument for each of their inclusions was that smash quote on quote "needed rival characters". Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for each of the (potential) inclusions, but if we get any more than Skull Kid and Shadow (and maybe the octolings) in terms of rival characters, I'll be damn surprised.
Thank you! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't see the whole "adding more villains for the sake of more villains" argument.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I'd be fine if we do not get Banjo-Kazooie. If Microsoft won't allow it, I wouldn't try getting Nintendo to argue further.

I never grew up with Banjo-Kazooie as it came out before my year of birth and I never owned an N64

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
EDIT: wrong thread haha, so I’ll share an unpopular opinion:
Pichu shouldn’t be able to hurt itself.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I want Rad Spencer in the game.

And I'm apparently the only one, because a forum search showed me that there's no character thread for him already.

Oddball

Smash Lord
You're not the only one.

And PLEASE if they include him, don't use his grim and gritty reboot look.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You're not the only one.

And PLEASE if they include him, don't use his grim and gritty reboot look.
Technically that version was never on a Nintendo console. And after two appearances in MvC, I'd imagine Capcom would let Sakurai change back to his classic look, a la Mega Man.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
The lighting in Ultimate still looks sorta ugly to me at times.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Smash Ultimate should be the LAST Smash Bros game, but gets continued support through updates, DLC, and special events.
I agree that this Smash game could be the last just because Sakurai said there's no way they could make a Smash game with more content than this again, as the gimmick of everything being here will be already used and not as appealing. I would rather this be the ultimate version of Smash Bros and always remembered as the last rather than a couple more being made with half the characters, stages, etc.

Captain Toad needs to get in smash more than Geno does. I hardly even knew Geno before the ultimate reveal and Toad is more popular.
Yeah I agree, not trying to hate on Geno, but Captain Toad/Toad is imo at this point a gaming icon. Some might consider that a stretch, but he's the last Mario mainstay not in the game, and has starred in his own title.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Unpopular opinion you say?

-I'm actually happy to see both Young Link and Pichu back and I actually want to play them. While during the Melee days they annoyed me because they took away from other, better characters, with Ultimate having all the characters I wanted, let them in.

- I can live just fine if Isaac and Geno are not in the game since all the characters I cared for are in.

- If the "Spirits" mode is just Subspace 2 I will roll my eyes so hard I will see the Diddy Kong cymbal monkey occupying my stage.

- The existence of K Rool in Ultimate will NOT dissuade my love of Bowser, he is still my main fat reptile...but if K. Rool plays better he will be my side reptile.

- I think Melee still has the better soundtrack in the series. From Brawl and onward nothing stood out for me, and so far Ultimate looks to continue the trend (though Jump Up Superstar is my jam and I am happy it is in the game).

- The fact that Waluigi and Ashley are trophies does not affect me emotionally

- As much as I love Kingdom Hearts, Sora will NEVER be in the game because Disney is too power hungry to let a.partial character of theirs join (and I am ok with this)

So does this raise the salt levels? Am I controversial now? Lawl

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pichu's self hurting is cute and I don't have a problem with it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I actually wouldn't mind if Pichu was absolute garbage again.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Alrighty I'm got a few more to throw out there.

I would be really sad if Impa and Dixie Kong were echoes. This may sound stupid, but I would almost rather have those two as unique assist trophies than copies of another characters being playable. They really are so different than Sheik and Diddy Kong, and I don't want them being done an injustice.

Skull Kid > Midna

I'm not a big fan of the idea of Geno. I know this isn't a very strong argument, but he only appeared in one game a long time ago, and I feel like Smash, despite some questionable picks, is still generally a group of video game icons (however if he is playable I will be beyond happy for his fans!).

I dont think the arguments "that series has too many charactes" or even "that series doesn't have enough" are relevant. If a franchise has 20 iconic and highly requested characters, then put them in. But if another popular franchise only has one or two highly requested characters, I wouldn't want more in just to feel like doing the series justice.

I don't think Sora should be in the game for a number of reasons. A) I would rather have a more iconic third party like Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot or Rayman in. B) I feel Sora, while highly requested, is not known by quite a big chunk of video gaming fans who would recognize the previous three third parties i mentioned. C) I would prefer one of the three I mentioned as they are moor cartoonistic and fit in with Smash better. I feel Smash has too many humans as it is.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Apart from getting Banjo-Kazooie in the game and some other fan favorites, my second biggest want is for the next direct to deconfim the gardevoir leak.
Seriously, there are people out there saying gardevoir is Ridley-tier in pokemon requests and treating this leak as gospel.
I have no problem with Gardevoir, my only concern is that people defend with their life her/his inclusion and treat her as the new K Rool/Ridley.

P.S Also if there is a pokemon rep of that generation I prefer any other one like Lord Swampert

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Apart from getting Banjo-Kazooie in the game and some other fan favorites, my second biggest want is for the next direct to deconfim the gardevoir leak.
Seriously, there are people out there saying gardevoir is Ridley-tier in pokemon requests and treating this leak as gospel.
I have no problem with Gardevoir, my only concern is that people defend with their life her/his inclusion and treat her as the new K Rool/Ridley.

P.S Also if there is a pokemon rep of that generation I prefer any other one like Lord Swampert
Yeah I've noticed that about Smash fans, especially during Smash Ultimate speculation. They tend to jump on the bandwagon of certain characters whenever leaks are put out there, and take them as fact and defend those characters aggressively. I'm fine with Gardevoir's inclusion, but that leak seems quite false to me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think one of the most unpopular opinions I've got is that stage hazards do generally deconfirm characters. I know the Alfonzo meme was born of sort of disproving this point, and EVERYONE loves to use it. But, really Toon Link is the exception not the rule to this situation. Characters can show up in multiple support rules, but Toon Link is the only real exception to this rule, and even that Link is technically different from Wind Waker Toon Link in Smash.

Donkey Kong in 75M, Duck Hunt in Duck Hunt, and so on were stages with background character elements that showed up after these characters were at least known quantities. If a character shows up on a background stage, and isn't currently confirmed to be playable, that's it. So I 100% believe Captain Toad is out after showing up in New Donk City Hall, and would further apply this to other such instances.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
-Banjo and Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Rayman would not make interesting smash bros characters. Banjo and Kazooie and Crash don't have a lot of things to pull from in their games that would make them original compared to other more interesting potential newcomers. Rayman has a really bland design that would end up making a lot of his moves seem samey.

-Sonic has the worst moveset in smash bros history

-Just because a character was low tier and received buffs doesn't mean that that character will magically be high tier. Ganondorf, little mac, and Zelda will still be really bad characters just because of the way that they were designed as characters.

-Geno doesn't deserve to be in smash, he appeared in one game 20 years ago as a side character from a franchise that hasn't seen the light of day since its conception. I wouldn't mind him being in, but honestly people get obsessed with just the idea of a character getting in no matter how silly it is.

-Pokemon gens 3 and 5 don't need representation as fighters in smash. By extension neither does gen 7 but I expect it will get some.

-There is no such thing as too many of _____ type of characters in smash. If they're in then they're in and you can't complain.

-Kirby deserves a new fighter more than Xenoblade

-ARMS hasn't done anything near the significance of what splatoon has and doesn't deserve to have a character just because it's a new IP

-People who complain about the game only from what we've seen from it so far don't deserve it.

-The existence of echo fighters is cooler than every newcomer from smash 4 combined.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I don't really want a new Story-Mode. I did like the SSE in Brawl, but my biggest gripe with it was the fact that you were just handed the entire roster for essentially doing nothing. I had the complete roster on launch-day back then and I felt a bit robbed of my experience to unlock each character gradually, like in Melee. In Melee, every "Challenger approaches" would get my heart pumping, in Brawl they just came one after another and without even a minor challenge.

If we're gonna get a new Story-Mode, I hope it's gonna be in a way that's different from Brawl. Either it's only playable after having unlocked the entire roster or it's split up into episodes and you only gain access to the next one if you've unlocked all the characters appearing in it.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't have a problem with more sword fighters...

This does not extend to Fire Emblem though. There are way too many unique weapons and archetypes of fighters from that series to waste any more potential of that series on another sword fighter. Lances, spears, staffs, axes, knives, scrolls, magic, there is so much to choose from that does not need a sword involved.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
Unpopular opinions? Let's see...

* I'd much rather have Tails as an echo fighter over Shadow.
* I honestly cannot understand why Daisy was added onto the roster at all.
* Bayonetta is beyond broken.
* I doubt we'll be seeing anyone from Monster Hunter as Konami's 3rd rep.
* Waluigi and Ashley remaining as assist trophies continues to have zero impact on my life.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I don't like the 'quantity over quality' development mindset. I'd much rather have a smaller, more polished roster than the large one with filler clones we have now. Same goes with stages. 103 is a lot, but many of them just aren't good. A smaller, more polished stage selection with a good mix of fun and competitive stages would've been more preferred.

Bringing so much old stuff back is nice, but in the end, its killing the game for me. There are plenty of stages and characters I'm happy to see return, but even more that I could've lived without. Would've preferred if more effort was put towards unique newcomers and new stages. Even the development time towards filler clone fighters would've been better placed towards fighter balancing and refining the gameplay.

Sakurai mentioned that the alternative to what we have going on with Ultimate now would've been to overhaul the game's systems and feel, but with only a third of the fighters we have now. I partially hope that this is what happens next with the series; Get rid of the fluff and focus on the overall quality of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom