• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
I think Waluigi is a poor excuse for a character and he doesn’t need to be in Smash.

I genuinely despise the idea of characters appearing as another fighter’s alt costume and I would MUCH rather have them as an echo/clone character.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Is this thread still ongoing? Well beware cause I got more...

-Isabelle is a dumb idea for a playable character, Villager already covers AC with his moveset and she fits an assist trophy just fine. (No offense to her supporters, just being brutally honest.)

-Echo Fighter is just a fancy term and it doesn’t make mere clones anymore special. (Even though I’m craving Shadow myself.)

-I’d love to have a second Sonic character.

-People shouldn’t blindly praise every thing Sakurai does and label those who are annoyed/disappointed as ungrateful, I know he works hard and I respect him for it but it doesn’t exempt him from criticism.

-I wanted a new announcer.

-Indie characters would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I've got a simple one.

I find it... annoying how some people follow Vergeben's words so blindly. Vergeben says a character isn't in, then it's been a good run and its time to throw in the towel. Vergeben says a character is in, then they're hyped for the character to be revealed.

I have the mindset that it isn't over until it is over. I remained skeptical of the Gematsu leak until more evidence showed up post-release that helped prove that the leak had some truth to it. Such as when dataminers found the Rhythm Heaven symbol where the symbols of series with playable characters were, suggesting that there was once a planned playable Rhythm Heaven character. Or when Sakurai revealed in an interview that Chrom was planned to be playable, but was swapped out for Robin since he'd actually be unique.

People shouldn't assume characters are/aren't in just because of what some random on the internet says. Especially when that random, although accurate on some things, has been largely inaccurate just as many times if not more.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Melee HD would be a downright terrible idea and it would even up pleasing literally NO ONE.

. Melee fans would be upset and ultimately drop it for not being 100% like Melee.

. Most fans would be pissed that they aren’t getting a brand new game instead.

. Sakurai would never want to make a game that glitchy and bug filled on purpose.

. The general population wouldn’t see the appeal and criticize it heavily for all the glitchy mechanics that people like about the original.

I don’t hate Melee, I just don’t think it’s worth recreating and it would just end up being a huge waste of time on many fronts and I would much rather have Melee available via Switch VC or whatever.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Oscar Issac's character in Annihilation would be a great pick for an echo figher.

• I don't care if she's god tier or competitive garbage. Wii Fit Trainer needs a hard buff or rework of some kind.
  • Snake and Samus were "too OP" in Brawl and Smash 4 respectively for Nintendo's liking. You know Sakurai had to do it to 'em. :p
  • If we get another story mode, I kinda want it to be the canonical sequel to Kirby 64, with Zero-Three being the Final Boss. I guess have Giga Bowser, Master Core and Tabuu there as well as penultimate bosses.
  • We're getting to a put where there are theoretically enough characters to get away with actually making Super Bash Sisters a real thing.
  • Simon Belmont is overrated. They should put in Miriam instead lool
  • Much like Pokken's mere existance, Pokemon reps in general just sadden me because they remind me that I will never live in a world where every single pokemon (or at least every fully evolved pokemon) is represented in anything outside of the main games themselves.
  • It drives me up a wall that people aren't understand that echo fighters are not supposed to interfere with development, and therefore do not take up "slots." And yet, I still hear things like "Would you rather 2 echo fighters and 1 newcomer OR 2 newcomers?" An echo fighter does not equal 0.5 new character. They are equal to 0 new character. They're like those added weapons in Splatoon that are just the same weapon but with a new secondary and ultimate.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have yet to ever see a leak that I fully believed.

The problem with Smash leaks is that if it's a believable leak, then you KNOW it's made up because Smash bros has ALWAYS stuck character sin that nobody expected and most people would say don't make sense. ROB? Cloud Strife? Solid Snake? Mr. Game and Watch?

Even the first game was ... "Nintendo's biggest characters! ... and Jigglypuff."

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
I think the Final Smash Meter should be in main competitive... at some point.

I feel like Smash matches goes too slow since after Melee

Smash fans can be stickes in the mud with new stuff

osby

Smash Obsessed
Newcomers for this game feels pretty underwhelming on their own. It's nice so many fans getting their most wanted but after Smash For bringing so many out-of-the-box, new and exciting newcomers; the newcomers we got for this game was pretty vanilla, with the exception of Richter.
Also, only two character debuted in this decade, really?

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't get why pepole want Elma so much in Smash. Also Hanabrow should have never returned

D

Deleted member

I don't like a lot of the stages that they brought back, and I can't believe they brought back Pac-Land but not Pac-Maze, especially since Windy Hill is there alongside Green Hill.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure why, but characters announcements for Ultimate haven't be as hype as they were for Smash 4. They're still cool, but there's nothing here that's really blown my mind. I still waiting for a "WTF" guest character like Scorpion & Lara Croft (who I think would be on the same level as Cloud). Heck, I'd even take Master Chief or Doomguy at this point.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm fine with more Fire Emblem characters (Its a large series with a large cast) but I really don't like that they have 3 characters from Awakening alone. They should at least have characters from different games of the series. It would kind of like taking the Mario series and adding Geno, Mallow, and Smithy to the roster.

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
The newcomers for this game haven't really been clicking with me all that much. Two characters are big bulky villains which don't really fit my play-style and the other two are ranged zoners pretty much. Until we get someone like Monster Hunter, Issac, Elma, Anna, or (hopefully) Rex and Pyra I will only be mildly meh about the newcomers.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is still too big and looks awkward.

The Smash Ultimate UI main screen is worse than Smash 4. Almost zero aesthetic appeal.

I am a Sonic fan and do not want Shadow as an echo fighter. #1 He's much different. #2 We don't need another copy of Sonic's moveset. *cough* 2 spindashes *cough*

Isabelle is one of the most depressing ideas for a new character. Echo is more acceptable, but I argue she doesn't fit that either. It is a waste, yes, waste of a slot when a plethora of far more iconic or interesting character could've been added. Her popularity is meaningless to me, Villager is all we need to represent Animal Crossing. Insertanyoneelse is far more interesting than...Isabelle.

Waluigi deserves a spot over Geno, and he's the last major Nintendo icon left to add. He's only followed by Dixie and then lastly Bandana Dee. Despite Geno being a cool newcomer, I don't think he is as important in general than the three mentioned. 1 Game a long time ago isn't enough to put him ahead of them. Even King K. Rool somewhat treads the line, but I supported him due to his important, main villain position spanning multiple games.

I really, really hope the Chorus Kids are not a playable character. Please be an assist trophy.

Paper Mario should not be added because he is Mario. The best way to represent Paper Mario is via a stage where everyone on it gets "Paperized" into a style like Paper Mario. So like Mario -> Paper Mario, Kirby->Paper Kirby, Inkling->Paper Inkling, Mewtwo->Paper Mewtwo etc. Like a G&W stage but cooler. Probably too much work but w/e. The stage is still the best way to rep the series.

Young Link is one of the hypest character announcements, and I didn't even request or want his return.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I want to see hazards be tourney legal. They add a splash of chaos to the game, and that's always fun. (Not all hazards mind. When you spend more time fighting the stage than the opponent, that's bad design)

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I hated the King K Rool reveal trailer...
Naah just kidding, I think nobody can't hate that piece of art, even if they didn't want The Krock

For real tho:
-This is more a popular/unpopular opinion but I think that the Moon being an assist trophy skyrocketed Skull Kid chances of being playable.
-I think some Waluigi fans in this site are starting to get annoying. I mean I am really sorry he didn't make it this time, but that's it, Smash Bros will have more versions and I think he have great chances to be in the NEXT game.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

Peachach

Smash Cadet
I agree. Final Destination looks strangely bland and off in Ultimate.

My unpopular opinions:

- Ridley is pretty boring and I don't care much for his addition.
- Simon Belmont looks like a cross between He-Man and Conan the Barbarian. Ugh.
- Waluigi could actually be an interesting character, but I'm sick and tired of everyone whining about him.
- I am not the greatest fan of the sheer amount of 3rd party characters in the game, and I'm often annoyed that despite skillful integration of their styles into Smash, the feel they bring to it is kind of alienating. Somehow makes Smash feel a tad less like Smash.
- Banjo (with Kazooie) could actually be a cool addition as a character.
- I don't want any more sword-wielding characters and Fire Emblem series chars, or in general characters like Bayo, Cloud, Corrin,.. truly.. screw 'em. If most would be removed from the game, I'd never miss 'em..
- Any random aspects introduced are annoying outside of party type of gameplay. I'd probably try to remove any chance factors from all characters.
- Stages should not all be available when you start up the game for the first time. They need to be unlockable like characters.
- The menus look more like Melee and cool, but they are missing a bit of aesthetic glue.. the colorful middle part looks clashes with the plain colored menu sections around it...

D

Deleted member

Simon Belmont looks like a cross between He-Man and Conan the Barbarian. Ugh.
Aside from maybe the "ugh" part, that's not really unpopular. Simon's design has always had comparisons to at least the latter character.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I agree. Final Destination looks strangely bland and off in Ultimate.
- Simon Belmont looks like a cross between He-Man and Conan the Barbarian. Ugh.
You say that like being a cross between He-man and Conan is a bad thing.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
- As someone who loved Super Mario RPG, I think Geno would be a terrible addition to the roster (no offense to his supporters).
- Completely ignoring how broken she is, Bayonetta does not belong in Smash at all.
- I don't mind the excessive amount of FE characters and there are even a few more that I'd like to see.
- Not sure if unpopular or not but I hate the new main menu design. I still think Brawl had the best Smash menu to date.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I really like Chrom's inclusion. My first Fire Emblem game was Awakening (played in last summer), and I thought it was weird that Lucina and Robin were in without him. People may say that FE has too many reps, but I really don't mind too much.

Dixie Kong will be fine as an echo. Chrom and Richter seem to have a few differences from Roy and Simon, so I assume that Dixie may get the same. All she really needs is DK's up-B, a bubblegum gun instead of a peanut gun, and a unique final smash. From there, she can just have all of Diddy's moveset. It would be nice if they gave her a much higher double jump with a hair-twirl animation.

Assist trophies should be scrapped, and we should get Dragonball Fighters/Marvel vs. Capcom-style assists instead. Before you start the match, you can pick two non-playable characters (Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Magnus, etc.) to bring into battle with you. Each player has an "assist meter" below their percentage, and by pressing a button on the controller (IDK which one), you can quickly send one of the characters out to do a brief attack. They then disappear, and you cannot send them out again before the meter is recharged (maybe around 30 seconds). Obviously, this won't work with all assist trophies, like the Moon or Nintendog. However, I feel it is the best way to feel like you are controlling a character who isn't actually playable.

I don't know if I said it in this thread, but Banjo and Kazooie aren't good newcomer choices at all. Out of 5 games, the fanbase can only consistently agree that one (the original) is actually good. The second always seems to be a hit-or-miss, the GBA duo isn't popular, and Nuts n' Bolts is said to be straight awful. These are characters that are well past their prime. K. Rool may be a dead character, but at least he isn't a dead character from a dead franchise like they are.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Here's another one:

- A lot of charge moves of newer characters, like Cloud's and Mac's, are overpowered and feel like pseudo final smashes in modes without final smash. They need to be toned down in Ultimate.
- Some characters have too many ranged/projectile attacks. These characters need to have their amount of projectiles decreased.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I sincerely hope we don't get any newer Nintendo characters. Xenoblade, Gen 7 Pokemon, anything from ARMS; I want the base game to be a love letter to those who have been pining for certain characters' inclusions since the pre-Brawl days. K. Rool gives me a lot of hope for the base roster.

Once we get people like Skull Kid, Geno, and Isaac in, then it's okay to start adding newer people. Until then, no.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I seriously hope Ultimate won't have a subspace mode. The only good part of the original were the cutscenes and the boss fights to some extent. And the former's already being included through character trailers. I hope Dracula and Rathalos are just part of special event matches, or a melee-style adventure mode.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
-We really need more characters from recent games.

-If it's more like Melee's, I don't want an Adventure Mode. SSE's gameplay and cutscenes were a lot more fun and interesting than that poor man's classic mode.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
  • The Final Smash Meter should be given a chance in competitive play, as well as Stage Morph. Then after a few months of high level play, we can then decide if it is right to stay or not.
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate deserves Game of the Year!
  • Smash Ultimate should be the LAST Smash Bros game, but gets continued support through updates, DLC, and special events.
  • Having a character as an Assist Trophy is MUCH better than not having them in the game at all.
  • We DO NOT need Goku in Smash Ultimate. If he's added, cool. But if he's not, good.
  • If Smash Ultimate released as we know it right now, I'd be more than happy. Sakurai and his team has done so much for us already!
Thoughts? :3

osby

Smash Obsessed
  • The Final Smash Meter should be given a chance in competitive play, as well as Stage Morph. Then after a few months of high level play, we can then decide if it is right to stay or not.
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate deserves Game of the Year!
  • Smash Ultimate should be the LAST Smash Bros game, but gets continued support through updates, DLC, and special events.
  • Having a character as an Assist Trophy is MUCH better than not having them in the game at all.
  • We DO NOT need Goku in Smash Ultimate. If he's added, cool. But if he's not, good.
  • If Smash Ultimate released as we know it right now, I'd be more than happy. Sakurai and his team has done so much for us already!
Thoughts? :3
None of these should be unpopular, especially the last one.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I will also be upset if they take out Smash Run! I thought it had a ton of potential, it just needed more than one map and a more familiar enviorment.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Some of these might be popular, who knows.

I would rather have Captain Toad than Waluigi.

That said, if I had to add two more characters to the roster, I think it would be those two.

I don't think the Mario franchise getting Waluigi, Captain Toad, Daisy, and Geno added to the game would be unreasonable, because these characters are the most recognizable not in the game, and also among the most requested.

I don't mind there being a lot of Fire Emblem characters, I just think they can pull so much more from the series than blue swordfighters, or swordfighters in general.

I would be beyond excited if Kirby got Marx, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Daroach this time around as newcomers. The series deserves much more representation than three characters. Also, I would prefer any of those three over Magolor getting in, because I think the first is more iconic and the latter two have more unique designs.

I low key want both Medusa and Porky Minch in because I think more villains is always a good thing.

I would rather have the Exictebiker from Excitebike in than other popular characters, such as Sora and maybe even Geno. While this game is aimed at fan service, I like how each game has gotten a retro random character and I really hope there is still one this time around.

I love the idea of Echoes, as in all honesty, characters like Chrom, Dark Samus, and Daisy didn't realistically stand a chance of ever getting into Smash if this is the last game.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
I don’t think a character should get in solely for the reason that a crap load of people vocally ask for that character. Bayonetta is the exception, but even then it made perfect sense since [Platinum is partnered with Nintendo] and Bayonetta is hype. There really is no reason to make Shovel Knight a character other than the fact a lot of people want him. If Nintendo were to add an Indie character it would make far more sense to add Quote from Cave Story since that game pretty much started the Indie scene, is well known in both Japan and the West, and has been released on 4 Nintendo systems, more than any other Indie game.
And also Geno... he was only in one game, which isn’t even as popular as the Paper Mario games. His inclusion would be awkward because they would have to give him the Mario icon (the mushroom) even though he is owned by Square Enix.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Willing to bet I'll be ripped a new one for this, but I never really get when people say things like "we need more female reps! we need more villain reps! we need more fighters of color!" I get it, representation matters and all that, but frankly, it's like if I said we need more robots in the game, and therefore, we should get Silver Sonic; it might be cool to get more robotic characters, but it really doesn't seem like something that matters much, let alone a reason to say anyone should get in the game at all. The only one of these types of statements I somewhat understand is when people say "we need more heavyweights!" since that at least matters from a gameplay standpoint, and we do, indeed, have a shortage of heavyweight fighters compared to other weight classes, even considering the addition of Ridley and Rool. Otherwise, it just seems arbitrary to me to claim support for a character on the basis of needing more villains or females in the game. Can't we just support characters for being interesting characters and/or providing something unique in how they play, rather than filling some arbitrary quota?
On a somewhat related note, and this may not actually be unpopular at all, "Heroes vs. Villains" is not a theme of this game and it's entirely too early to claim that it is. Ridley and K. Rool got in on the basis of being extremely highly requested, not because they needed to fill the roster with villains, and the same applies to Dark Samus to a lesser degree. Just because we've gotten a couple villains thus far does not mean we're getting Skull Kid, Black Shadow, Porky Minch, Black Knight, Masked Man, Marx, Dark Meta Knight, Medusa, and Andross all in the base game.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Daisy honestly is the most boring Echo Fighter to be introduced so far. She has nothing like the others that makes me want to main her.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I think Twilight princess Link should be brought back with the crossbow, hidden skills, and Wolf Link as his new final smash

So
Link From TP
Champion Link botw
Young Link OOT and MM
Toon Link multiple

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom