• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
-I hope Sora doesn't get in.
-Without Fountain of dreams, this game is going to be underwhelming
-I was pissed when they announced Ridley over King K. Rool

Last edited:

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Everyone doesn’t need to be here cause one of the best parts about smash is newcomers:what if from now on they have the same engine every time so that they never have to cut ppl due to having to reprogram them to fit an engine and the smash could have one of the biggest rosters ever(they can still cut the pointless ppl tho)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Not every character should have a gender swapped alt. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Inkling, and Pokemon Trainer I'm fine with, but Robin should be strictly male, and Corrin should be strictly female.

Smash Ultimate looks more like Smash 4.5 than a whole new game. Compare the first four installments with each other. You can see a major difference in terms of graphics. I'm not saying that Smash Ultimate's graphics are a problem, they're fine as is, but I honestly can't help but see Smash Ultimate as an enhanced version of Smash 4.

I'm not too ecstatic about Ridley getting in Smash, and I deem his inclusion unnecessary. It seems to me that Sakurai finally caved in and added him in so that he could stop getting Ridley requests for Smash. But I'm still happy for Ridley fans/mains nonetheless.

Clones/Echo Fighters aren't a problem, but I do feel that they should be paired up with their original fighter. With such a big roster, it'll certainly help reduce the roster size, which in turn will make the Character Select Screen look better. Too many icons on the screen will look crowded and cramped.

The inclusion of Fire Emblem characters aren't a problem either, nor are their choice of weapon. Although it would go without saying that it wouldn't hurt to have an axe or mage representative, Nintendo needn't force themselves to include them purely for the sake of representation.

That being said, Gen 3, Gen 5, and Gen 7 don't need to be represented in the Pokemon franchise as fighters. Simply sticking to the more well known Pokemon should suffice.

Robin doesn't need a running speed buff. Ignoring the fact that Awakening removed the weapon weight mechanic, he's already carrying 10 different weapons (Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder, Thoron, Arcfire, Bolganone, Elwind, Nosferatu, Bronze Sword, Levin Sword). To buff his running speed would mean making it easier for him to distance himself to spam projectiles from afar at low percentages and quickly go in for the kill at high percentages afterward. Robin's Bronze Sword needs a buff to make it more usable than the currently spammable Levin Sword. Something like better frame data should do the trick.

Starting with the original 8 in order to unlock the rest of the fighters is something that I'm not too particularly fond of. About 1/3rd or so of the fighters should be available at the beginning. Brawl's starter character selection screen is a good example. And if we're going by how I said Clones/Echo Fighters should be paired up with their original fighter, players should be exempt from having to unlock the both of them. For instance, unlocking Marth should also grant access to Lucina.

That's all I have for now.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Simon Belmont will make into Smash. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the character himself, I think he'd be pretty creative, but I don't think Sakurai would be comfortable putting in two Konami representatives in. Sakurai and Hideo Kojima(Former director of Metal Gear and former employee of Konami) are close friends. And considering how Konami treated Kojima, I don't think Sakurai thinks of them that well. Sakurai probably didn't feel ok putting Snake in alone and I feel like the only reason he got in was that Metal Gear was Kojima's original creation and Sakurai wanted EVERYONE to be here.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Simon Belmont will make into Smash. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the character himself, I think he'd be pretty creative, but I don't think Sakurai would be comfortable putting in two Konami representatives in. Sakurai and Hideo Kojima(Former director of Metal Gear and former employee of Konami) are close friends. And considering how Konami treated Kojima, I don't think Sakurai thinks of them that well. Sakurai probably didn't feel ok putting Snake in alone and I feel like the only reason he got in was that Metal Gear was Kojima's original creation and Sakurai wanted EVERYONE to be here.
Counter argument: we already have two Konami characters in (Snake and Bomberman as an assist trophy) and Sakurai cites Castlevania as having a big influence on him. Not saying it's a guarantee that Simon will be in, but I don't think Simon being owned by Konami hurts him too much for this game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
-I was pissed when they announced Ridley over King K. Rool
Why does it have to be Ridley over K. Rool and not Ridley alongside K. Rool? They're hardly in direct competition with one another, and we don't know the whole roster yet, so it's entirely possible that they were both chosen for their popularity and the latter just hasn't been revealed yet - heck, I'd even call it likely considering how big a role fan demand is playing this time. Not hating or anything, but I just feel you're jumping to conclusions a bit and thus hating characters you really have no reason to as of now.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't think Geno is as likely as people think or like to believe

I'm not fond of Bandana Dee being playable

I think most fan suggestions for echoes are stupid, especially the 3rd party suggestions

That's all I have at the moment.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Look, I’m cool with the “everyone is here” concept, but Pichu coming back was an absolute waste. I highly doubt rage will actually help him, and because of his ridiculous lightweight, he’ll probably die before he even gets to rage percent.

Captain Toad needs to get in smash more than Geno does. I hardly even knew Geno before the ultimate reveal and Toad is more popular.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Look, I’m cool with the “everyone is here” concept, but Pichu coming back was an absolute waste. I highly doubt rage will actually help him, and because of his ridiculous lightweight, he’ll probably die before he even gets to rage percent.

Captain Toad needs to get in smash more than Geno does. I hardly even knew Geno before the ultimate reveal and Toad is more popular.
You're saying it like all characters have to be high tier.
Or you can't win with Pichu.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
You're saying it like all characters have to be high tier.
Or you can't win with Pichu.
I don’t expect everyone to be high tier or anything, but I still want more characters(like Pichu) to be at least somewhat viable. It doesn’t help that some of his moves still hurt him.

Maybe he won’t have issues with lighter or less viable characters, but I still think he deserved a better upgrade than what he got.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I absolutely hate it when interesting Smash speculation discussions start or end in silence with the user I am discussing to.

I have had it happen too many times in my time of writing in-depth responses and essays about possible Smash Ultimate newcomers.

I feel like so much of my time gets wasted.

Sometimes, I wonder if the big-name users here actually care about having a fun discussion.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ultimate looks great but I think victory screens are a downgrade from Wii U, unless this one is a placeholder.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I absolutely hate it when interesting Smash speculation discussions start or end in silence with the user I am discussing to.

I have had it happen too many times in my time of writing in-depth responses and essays about possible Smash Ultimate newcomers.

Sometimes, I wonder if the big-name users here actually care about having a fun discussion.
Unpopular opinion here, but despite our arguments and disagreements on things, I enjoy our discussions to see how different viewpoints can work in Smash...even with some oddball out of the box choices you made

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Steve would be a perfectly acceptable character and would be on par with any of the third parties we have now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just a franchise being less then 10 years old, doesn't mean they don't carry video game history within them.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Clones/Echo Fighters aren't a problem, but I do feel that they should be paired up with their original fighter. With such a big roster, it'll certainly help reduce the roster size, which in turn will make the Character Select Screen look better. Too many icons on the screen will look crowded and cramped.

The inclusion of Fire Emblem characters aren't a problem either, nor are their choice of weapon. Although it would go without saying that it wouldn't hurt to have an axe or mage representative, Nintendo needn't force themselves to include them purely for the sake of representation.

That being said, Gen 3, Gen 5, and Gen 7 don't need to be represented in the Pokemon franchise as fighters. Simply sticking to the more well known Pokemon should suffice.

Robin doesn't need a running speed buff. Ignoring the fact that Awakening removed the weapon weight mechanic, he's already carrying 10 different weapons (Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder, Thoron, Arcfire, Bolganone, Elwind, Nosferatu, Bronze Sword, Levin Sword). To buff his running speed would mean making it easier for him to distance himself to spam projectiles from afar at low percentages and quickly go in for the kill at high percentages afterward. Robin's Bronze Sword needs a buff to make it more usable than the currently spammable Levin Sword. Something like better frame data should do the trick.

Starting with the original 8 in order to unlock the rest of the fighters is something that I'm not too particularly fond of. About 1/3rd or so of the fighters should be available at the beginning. Brawl's starter character selection screen is a good example. And if we're going by how I said Clones/Echo Fighters should be paired up with their original fighter, players should be exempt from having to unlock the both of them. For instance, unlocking Marth should also grant access to Lucina.

That's all I have for now.
I feel the exact same way

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Not gonna lie, that's how I feel with this website too sometimes. What bothers me in particular is when I type up a large, paragraph-long post in response to someone, then someone else responds to part of that post with a snarky one-liner as if it undermines my entire post and gains a bunch of likes off of it. It happens way more often than it should and frankly makes me wonder why I bother sometimes. It's the "Bazinga!" of online discussion.
Another common thing on this site that really grinds my gears is when I bring up a point in a post, and then later in the thread, someone else sarcastically mentions that point in passing without quoting me directly, or even really addressing it at all. It's a serious case of "@ me next time" that I find this site suffers from on a regular basis and makes me question whether people go here with a serious conversation in mind at all.
That is what makes me feel as though my time is wasted.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is still an unpopular opinion, but I like the new 'balloon' knockback.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I actually still really dislike Cloud being in the game.

It's not that he's a bad character, or that I dislike Final Fantasy. He just kind of ruined this "Nintendo only" vibe we had going.

Third parties are great, but they should have significant Nintendo history, or at the very least, some sort of current Nintendo exclusivity. Cloud has had neither. But here he is anyway. It opens the doors wide open for everybody to complain that _________ isn't in, even though that character has little at all to do with Nintendo.

StormC

Smash Hero
If youre going to support an iconic character whose origins are outside of video games, I don't understand how Goku became the default choice. Because he's Japanese and so is Smash? Then Godzilla is significantly more iconic. Even other anime characters like Speed Racer and Sailor Moon match him. DBZ really isnt much of a household name in the West; it just feels like it is because we are all in an internet nerd bubble.
Probably because Goku has pretty much become the face of anime in the eyes of the western fanbase. DB is also evergreen; it enjoys popularity across generations, both young and old. It's still a top moneymaker in Japan and back when DBZ aired on Cartoon Network, it was the highest rated show of the network (and one of the highest rated cable shows, period).

Plus DB was hugely influential on Japanese media in general, it pretty much singlehandedly transformed the shonen action genre forever and is the second highest selling manga series ever after One Piece. The series is actually pretty massive in much of Latin America and Europe, moreso than the US; especially in Mexico, Goku is as recognizable as Harry Potter or Pikachu there. Speed Racer is more recognizable than popular, and Sailor Moon is definitely high up there, but the franchise just doesn't post the numbers DB does.

Also Godzilla is too big :ultridley:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Probably because Goku has pretty much become the face of anime in the eyes of the western fanbase. DB is also evergreen; it enjoys popularity across generations, both young and old. It's still a top moneymaker in Japan and back when DBZ aired on Cartoon Network, it was the highest rated show of the network (and one of the highest rated cable shows, period).

Plus DB was hugely influential on Japanese media in general, it pretty much singlehandedly transformed the shonen action genre forever and is the second highest selling manga series ever after One Piece. The series is actually pretty massive in much of Latin America and Europe, moreso than the US; especially in Mexico, Goku is as recognizable as Harry Potter or Pikachu there. Speed Racer is more recognizable than popular, and Sailor Moon is definitely high up there, but the franchise just doesn't post the numbers DB does.

Also Godzilla is too big :ultridley:
Dragon Ball has a huge cultural impact. There's no denying it's icon status.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

It's not that he's a bad character, or that I dislike Final Fantasy. He just kind of ruined this "Nintendo only" vibe we had going.

Third parties are great, but they should have significant Nintendo history, or at the very least, some sort of current Nintendo exclusivity. Cloud has had neither. But here he is anyway. It opens the doors wide open for everybody to complain that _________ isn't in, even though that character has little at all to do with Nintendo.
Cloud was in a Nintendo game though. Might wanna check out some of the Kingdom Hearts games that he was in

I'd want Sora to be in Smash just for the Kingdom Hearts series soundtracks

StormC

Smash Hero

To be fair neither does Pac-Man, and Snake doesn't have much outside of a couple of NES games (that aren't even canon) and a remake of MGS1.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Cloud was in a Nintendo game though. Might wanna check out some of the Kingdom Hearts games that he was in
I'm aware of those. But being a minor appearance in a crossover game's spinoff hardly counts as "significant", IMO. This is only an opinion, though.

Snake began his career on the NES. Sonic has had major releases on Nintendo consoles, some exclusive. Bayonetta is now exclusive to Nintendo. Pac-Man and Mega Man can thank the NES and SNES for a significant portion of their success.

Cloud showed up in that crossover series starring someone else as the main character a couple times.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The first Metal Gear game was for the MSX computer, not the NES. However, the NES port of Metal Gear wasn't released too long after the MSX version.
And the NES sequel is what convinced the creator to continue the series.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And the NES sequel is what convinced the creator to continue the series.
Ummm... what? Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake never came to the NES, so I don’t see how that’s possible.

And the NES port of the MSX original might have brought the game to a larger audience, but as far as god awful ports go, NES Metal Gear destroys a lot of what was great about the MSX original.

D

Deleted member

Ummm... what? Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake never came to the NES, so I don’t see how that’s possible.
That is true, but what Oddball meant was that the NES port of the original spawned its own sequel titled Snake's Revenge, and then Kojima made Metal Gear 2 for the MSX in response to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, that's how I feel with this website too sometimes. What bothers me in particular is when I type up a large, paragraph-long post in response to someone, then someone else responds to part of that post with a snarky one-liner as if it undermines my entire post and gains a bunch of likes off of it. It happens way more often than it should and frankly makes me wonder why I bother sometimes. It's the "Bazinga!" of online discussion.
Another common thing on this site that really grinds my gears is when I bring up a point in a post, and then later in the thread, someone else sarcastically mentions that point in passing without quoting me directly, or even really addressing it at all. It's a serious case of "@ me next time" that I find this site suffers from on a regular basis and makes me question whether people go here with a serious conversation in mind at all.
Welcome to the internet. Its known as "Cherry Picking Information" and its a common fallacy used to discredit and undermine opposing discussions. Its also a very popular tactic with political debates and media coverage as well. I find it useful to read people's posts and try to see what logical fallacies they are using to support their ideas. Don't call them out on it or anything since this forum is all for good fun but it is interesting to recognize it.

D

Deleted member

Brawl's newcomers gave me the least amount of hype from all the released Smash games to date.

I have been excited to see :pt:, :diddy:, :sonic:, :olimar: and :toonlink: getting added at first, but then been greatly disappointed on how they don't fit with my play-style (with the exception of :toonlink: to a lesser extent).
I've been rather "meh" or "whatever" with the rest.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
To be fair neither does Pac-Man, and Snake doesn't have much outside of a couple of NES games (that aren't even canon) and a remake of MGS1.
To PAC-MAN's favor though he did co-star with Mario in the Mario Kart Arcade GP games in arcades. So while his history with the consoles were sparse, his time with the brand was fair game.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If you have a combined total of 10 mains and secondaries, you don't understand what those words mean.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is still an unpopular opinion, but I like the new 'balloon' knockback.
I might be in this same boat too. Players like Zero and Armada and a few of the other guys from the invitational didn't like that mechanic in the tournament because it can get in the way with combos, especially in doubles. Imo it's a little too soon to tell if the balloon knockback is going to be detrimental to the gameplay. I've seen people still do pretty advanced combos anyway. Only time will tell, but I'm thinking people are making a bigger deal about it than they need to.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Maybe they think said posts are wrong in so many ways that it wouldn't be fun to address them, but rather, tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom