• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
I think Smash Tour should return. No other words.

Also,
There is no way that all these characters are coming back for future installments. I'd love to see it, but it's probably not realistic.

Impa is an extremely boring Zelda newcomer. So far, the Zelda representation consists of three Links, Zelda and Sheik (who are the same entity) and Falcondorf. We already have many nimble ninja-type characters, and Impa would just be another one of those archetypes. Not included disconfirmed characters, Skull Kid is the best choice in my opinion.

We need more gimmick characters. Summoners, mounted characters, size changers, trios - these types of newcomers are the most interesting in my opinion.

In terms of importance: Mario=Luigi=Peach=Bowser > Bowser Jr. > Rosalina & Luma >>> Daisy >>>>> Dr. Mario. Mario may be the most best selling and most popular video game franchise of all time, but we need to stop at Waluigi and Toad.

Most of the Mario characters are portrayed so poorly. Gritty Mario, weird Luigi, and gross Wario. Bowser doesn't have his voice. The Koopaling alts. were a terrible idea - they never used the Clown Car or turned into Shadow Mario and take away from Bowser Jr.'s inclusion.

Dixie Kong is the only remaining Nintendo All-Star. I definitely want a lot more characters (including K. Rool), but I thinks she's the only one that's truly missing after Inkling and Ridley got in.

Master Chief and Kratos would be ground-breaking and amazing additions to the cast. It's a pipe dream, but I think it would be so cool.

Gematsu was absolutely an early roster draft, and I think that a Rhythm Heaven rep is happening this game. Sakurai probably told the Rhythm Heaven developers that he intended to add one of their characters. For him to say that, then exclude them, then exclude them again in a new game not hindered by technical limitations would be a slap in the face. It will probably be the Chorus Kids as an Ice Climbers +1 type fighter.
about the Mario characters. When has Smash ever been the same as the source material?

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Having a new Fire Emblem character that uses an axe or lance join the roster would be better and more interesting than having King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Crash, Spryo, Waluigi, Rayman, Banjo Kazooie, or Shovel Knight (Shantae would be better).

Also Mega Man should have gotten a redesign to his Mega Man 11 or his X design.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
This game is going to have significantly less combos due to the bizarre knockback scaling.

In all other smash games, plenty of strong moves combo'd into themselves because they have low base knockback, but high knockback growth. From the videos I've seen so far, it looks like a lot of 'strong' moves now actually have very high base knockback but much lower growth. There are dedicated combo moves whose sole purpose is to link into other moves like sheik ftilt, but we might see the air of 'air wobbling' and the so called 'vortex' of falcon, zss, fox, bayo, diddy etc.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I think Smash Tour should return. No other words.

Also,

about the Mario characters. When has Smash ever been the same as the source material?
I get what you mean, but I see that more for moves. There are always characters who have moves that they don’t use in-game. Most of the time it’s because they had none to begin with, like Captain Falcon and Duck Hunt. Similarly, if they don’t have much of a personality in-game, they are given one. The Mario fighters do have established personalities, but they’re all amplified in Smash. Zelda, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and even Pokemon characters have character traits consistent with their game apperances. It’s just really noticable to me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I love "Small" Ridley . I really prefer Ridley not being massive, and i think the main reason why he started being so masive was due to metroid prime meta ridley, but in metroid prime ALL the bosses are massive. and i hope smash Ridley manages to influence Metroid future Ridleys.
I think the NES game was the only time Ridley wasn't huge. Outside that, he's usually at least twice Samus's height.

Prime 4 needs to introduce a, like, Ridley/Metroid hybrid. Shrink him down a bit, but make him more dangerous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I would still apprciate the effort Sakurai and his team put into this game, I will not be buying Super Smash Bros. Ultimate if Mimikyu is playable.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I'll miss the variety of Final Smashes.
The cinematic ones look really really cool, but I'll still miss the quirky, weird Brawl and 4 Final Smashes.

While I would still apprciate the effort Sakurai and his team put into this game, I will not be buying Super Smash Bros. Ultimate if Mimikyu is playable.
Get this.
What if ... Mimikyu is playable. But also Decidueye.

D

Deleted member

Get this.
What if ... Mimikyu is playable. But also Decidueye.
That is a scenario I considered mentioning because but dismissed because I just can't see it happenning at this point.
However, if Decidueye makes it in I will no longer be complaining about any newcomer.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Decidueye is perhaps one of the most overhyped reps talked about. I don't hate him and I'd be fine if it were playable. I just don't think it's as likely as everyone seems to think.

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
This was kind of fun the last time I did it, so I'll just drop a few more lol

I think Decidueye is perhaps one of the most overhyped reps talked about.
Agreed. Primarina is more popular than he is in Japan (as are Mimikyu and Dusk-Lycanroc), and Incineroar gets more shine in the anime. Decidueye got Pokken. Each one has something distinguishable, but people tend to predict Decidueye all the time.

Rex/Pyra and Ashley are two popular newcomers that I think are extremely boring.

The concept of Subspace was amazing, and I hope it gets a revamp this game.

I don't want him, but Minecraft Steve's inclusion is 100% warranted. In less than ten years and with one installment, Minecraft has become one of the top ten best-selling video game franchises of all time - and it started as an indie game. He is a bigger icon than 95% of the Smash roster. When people say that Shovel Knight/Shantae/Sans are more deserving, it blows my mind. I know that the fanbase turns a lot of people off, but you need to look past that and see the merits of the character himself.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
My unpopular opinion? I want Smash Tour to stay.

I like playing that game with my wife, it's pretty fun. It's crazy, yes, and can be annoying at times....but it's a fun break from serious competitive smash.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Krystal does not deserve to get an assist trophy or any form of acknowledgement in any Smash Bros game, she's a lame boobiefox OC from one of the biggest disgraces to Rareware and Star Fox ever created. Star Fox Adventures was a big mistake and so is referencing anything from it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Krystal does not deserve to get an assist trophy or any form of acknowledgement in any Smash Bros game, she's a lame boobiefox OC from one of the biggest disgraces to Rareware and Star Fox ever created. Star Fox Adventures was a big mistake and so is referencing anything from it.
To each his own. I quite liked the game for its time. I don't get the obsession over Krystal in particular; if anything I'd prefer a Sauria stage with Tricky in the background shouting "FOOOOX! I'M HUNGRY. DUM-DEE-DUM. WHAT'S THAT?"

And, uh. I guess that's my unpopular opinion for this thread.

bortkupo

Smash Rookie
I don't like the new smoke trails that characters leave when they're launched. It's a nitpick, but to me they're very pronounced and somewhat distracting.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't like how every pre-existing clone except two got decloned to at least semi-clone levels apparently leaving those two to rot in clonedom. They also seem to be missing out on the animation tweaks that others are getting (though, if I'm being honest, I don't care about Dark Pit much).

Last edited:

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Namco has no idea how to make a fun smash bros game. The engine they are using for SmUsh and used for Sm4sh is so bad physics and knockback wise that the game is no where near as replayable or enjoyable with friends as melee/brawl/project m was.

If a handful of modders could make smash 4 amazing by messing with the engine a little bit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKL7jr-IHhY) then sakurai should literally step down as game director or listen to the actual fans of the series and bring smash bros back to its fluid gameplay roots. No more "you are controlling a balloon with weights on it" feeling.no more living to 200% and 10 minute long 2 stock gamesn. no more unsatisfying hits and combos. Just real smash bros that got us all addicted to the series.

the new namco smash game is so bad imo it makes me not even hyped to talk about roster speculation. something that i went crazy over before brawl and sm4sh was released

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If people want characters in non-playable roles Bomberman, they need to start pushing towards a post-Ultimate Smash game instead of hopelessly waiting for the zero chance of Sakurai updating an AT or boss role to playable this game.

D

Deleted member

Namco has no idea how to make a fun smash bros game. The engine they are using for SmUsh and used for Sm4sh is so bad physics and knockback wise that the game is no where near as replayable or enjoyable with friends as melee/brawl/project m was.

If a handful of modders could make smash 4 amazing by messing with the engine a little bit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKL7jr-IHhY) then sakurai should literally step down as game director or listen to the actual fans of the series and bring smash bros back to its fluid gameplay roots. No more "you are controlling a balloon with weights on it" feeling.no more living to 200% and 10 minute long 2 stock gamesn. no more unsatisfying hits and combos. Just real smash bros that got us all addicted to the series.

the new namco smash game is so bad imo it makes me not even hyped to talk about roster speculation. something that i went crazy over before brawl and sm4sh was released
Obviously you're welcome to your opinion here, but I wanted to say that for me, Smash Bros. at its core is not Melee, but Smash 64. People look down on that game as ugly and not refined, which it is, but that was the genesis and I also have so many fond memories with it--what kind of memories? Playing with siblings and friends and having fun, not necessarily being competitive. Spamming Link's ridiculous bombs, running around on the Great Fox in Sector Z, trying to land Falcon Punches and being surprised by the random factor of items and stage hazards. Sakurai is acknowledging the competitive scene too which is great, but he's not wrong to abandon what, imo, always made Smash Bros. great to begin with.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
My controversial opinion is that I am a bit tired of the non-Nintendo characters in it. I feel like with characters like Ryu and Cloud, it crossed some sort of line where it became a bit weird in terms of gameplay. I say this in spite of believing that Sakurai masterfully integrated their styles into the game. A part of me wishes Smash 5 would be deflated in terms of characters. And I too wonder how the hell the game can be balanced with such a gigantic roster. In that vein, I'd like Toad to be a playable character...rather than some other third party char.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
My unpopular opinion is that should this smash get the competitive scene right, then it should be the last installment (I know this will never happen, Smash prints too much money). At least, but for an even longer wait than melee to brawl. I don't see them ever having this much service to the veteran lineup ever again, and smash won't be the same without some characters. The 3rd parties and Semi Clones/Semi Echoes worrying me the most. Nevermind that competitive balance gets more challenging the larger the roster becomes.

Other (maybe) unpopular opinion, while Simon Belmont sounds fun to play, I see nothing exciting about him that other third parties don't bring to the table, except for the fact a somewhat accurate leak mentioned him.

D

Deleted member

I don't care about Waluigi being a playable character and I don't think he should be playable. It disgusts me that people have been harassing Sakurai's Twitter with posts to make him playable.

I prefer Twilight Princess Ganondorf over OoT Ganondorf. I hope that he can be an alternate costume and his sword changes to the Sword of Sages.

Likewise, I feel like Link's alternate costume should be his Twilight Princess design or what he had in 4. I don't really like the green tunic in Breath of the Wild.

I am not a fan of how we have to unlock everything and we start out with a 12 character roster. I rather that we have the entire roster, stage list, and music immediately. I hope unlocking these things won't take too long like Sakurai mentioned because I rather jump right in.

I don't like the Ice Climbers, from how they played previously to their game (it's awful IMO). I was happy when they were cut.

I feel like Ultimate is going to set unrealistic expectations for the future. It would be incredible if they brought these characters back, but I feel like people are going to expect Ultimate's roster (+ any potential DLC) with more added. That will be a lot of work to do.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think the Krystal community is a big factor behind her inclusion as an Assist Trophy. I'm glad she made in Smash in some form other than a trophy, but I really wish she would've made in as playable. Plenty of potential to work with, and she's be a great addition to the roster.

There is absolutely no way Chrom is making it as an Echo fighter. Sakurai already expressed concerns with the number of Fire Emblem characters before Corrin's addition. The main reason why Corrin made it in the first place was because he'd be used to promote an upcoming title, and because the development team assured Sakurai he'd make for a unique character. Chrom making it in as an Echo of Ike goes against both of these things.

I really don't like Zelda's new design, and I'm super disappointed we didn't this design from Breath of the Wild.

I'm a fan of Ganondorf's design, but I'm sorely going to miss his Twilight Princess design. Also wish we could've seen an original design based off Breath of the Wild.

I don't see many ways for Sakurai to improve the roster after Ultimate. Given his statement in a recent column, one option was to create a completely new game system, but with a third of the roster. I can see Smash taking this path in the future, with maybe twenty or so characters before growing it. I would be okay with this, as long as the number of Fire Emblem and 3rd Party characters are kept in-line.

I love the idea of starting with the original Smash 64 starting roster, and then growing your way to the complete roster. A disappointment I had with Smash 3DS/Wii U was the small number of unlockable characters.

I think DLC for Smash Ultimate would be an easy way of getting more money, but for some reason, I don't see it happening.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really like Stage Builder and Customization options like Miis. I would rather talk about that and to improve on it then speculate new character ideas.

That also goes for new game modes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only way Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus will have Sakurai biased at this point will be if we get a brand new newcomer and stage on top of all the vets and previous stages coming back.

That isn't happening. All veterans are coming back so of course there would be no cuts.

Please stop saying Sakurai bias is still a thing regarding those series.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
This is an unhealthy mindset.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
So you’re telling me that somebody who has an account on a smash bros forum who is also participating in newcomer speculation hype won’t get the game if a pokemon other than the one you support is getting in?

I would expect nothing less honestly from your supported newcomers in your sig.

The only way you aren’t getting this game is if your mommy won’t buy it for you

D

Deleted member

So you’re telling me that somebody who has an account on a smash bros forum who is also participating in newcomer speculation hype won’t get the game if a pokemon other than the one you support is getting in?

I would expect nothing less honestly from your supported newcomers in your sig.

The only way you aren’t getting this game is if your mommy won’t buy it for you
First off, I was specifically saying "Mimikyu". Not Lycanroc, not Incineroar, just Mimikyu.

Second -
This is an unhealthy mindset.
and this goes to you too -
Criticizing other people's opinions is AGAINST THE THREAD RULES.
I'm not getting into this discussion either way, but you should seriously look at the OP before you post.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
First off, I was specifically saying "Mimikyu". Not Lycanroc, not Incineroar, just Mimikyu.

Second -

I'm not getting into this discussion either way, but you should seriously look at the OP before you post.
I hope Mimikyu is in so badly now so you just look dumb when you buy this game on day 1 anyways

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm not criticizing your opinion, you're well within your right to not like Mimikyu. This isn't a judgment of the desire or lack thereof to have the character in the game. I just don't think that's a good way to frame things. You're not giving yourself much wiggle room when you're giving ultimatums to game designers who'll never read them.

D

Deleted member

I hope Mimikyu is in so badly now so you just look dumb when you buy this game on day 1 anyways
Except I won't.
I could go on, but it's clear that your only intention is to troll me, so I won't feed you.
I'm not criticizing your opinion, you're well within your right to not like Mimikyu. This isn't a judgment of the desire or lack thereof to have the character in the game. I just don't think that's a good way to frame things. You're not giving yourself much wiggle room when you're giving ultimatums to game designers who'll never read them.
You misunderstood me.
When I say "I will appriciate the work done on the game", I mean that I won't go out of my way and say "this is the worst game ever" or harass the developers like the Waluigi fans on Twitter. I will still be able to see a good game when I look at Smash Ultimate, just one that isn't for me, and therefore I wouldn't buy it.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
You know if someone doesn't want to buy or play a game for whatever reason is their choice. Its a game first and foremost and he shouldn't put in the money and effort to play it if he's not going going to enjoy it.

I refuse to play Breath of The Wild solely because Link is right handed (There is a long rant behind that). I've got too many other games I would rather spend my time on and I'm not going to force myself to play it like I did with Skyward Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom